PDA

View Full Version : Gary Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2020 season

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Gary Buckenara analyses Western Bulldogs’ list after the 2020 season (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/gary-buckenara-analyses-western-bulldogs-list-after-the-2020-season/news-story/827ec406f4ce56df6d7afe9f19cacc94)

https://i.postimg.cc/hGMNgVR2/dunk.png (https://postimages.org/)

Josh Dunkley is an untouchable at the Bulldogs but the word is he’s keen on a trade to Essendon. He’s under contract and only two trade offers will even get the Bulldogs to listen. Gary Buckenara reveals those trades in his list analysis.

The clock is ticking on the Bulldogs to win another premiership with this talented group.

While the Bulldogs have a relatively young list, teams don’t stay in the premiership window forever. Injuries, form and other issues (including off-field and game style/plan problems) can pop up at any time and before you know it, it’s been another two, three or four years since you’ve made a Grand Final with a list good enough to win premierships.

What do the players, coaches and the club want to see when they look back on this period – wasted opportunities or premiership memories? That’s one of the big questions this club must answer during the off-season.

Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel, Jason Johannisen, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Easton Wood and Alex Keath are playing together in their prime with Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith, Tim English, Ed Richards and Cody Weightman just some of the young players injecting more excitement and talent into an already star-studded group.

The players need to make a statement as a team and become the ruthless force we saw during the 2016 finals series otherwise they’ll be haunted by the words “if only” in 15-20 years’ time – if only we’d trained harder, if only we we’d committed 100 per cent, if only we’d made the most of our opportunity. Talent alone doesn’t win premierships.

The Bulldogs should have been a top four team this year, so to bow out in the first week of the finals was extremely disappointing. They underperformed, there’s no doubt about it. With 15 A and B-ranked players and six players aged 21 or under with the potential to be A or B-graders, it’s more than enough to be a serious premiership threat.

The players and coaches must sit down and seriously analyse what went wrong. Was it the uncertainty of COVID-19 and hub life that affected us because we were far too inconsistent? Was it the early off-field indiscretions involving Hunter, Smith and Billy Gowers that upset the group and had a lasting impact? Are there problems with our game plan/style?

What’s causing the inconsistency? That’s the other question that needs answering because consistency of performance is the missing link in the Bulldogs’ premiership chain.

LIST NEEDS
Overall the Bulldogs’ list is well balanced with good young talent coming through and the scope for some of the current C-grade players to develop into at least B-graders – such as Roarke Smith (injuries permitted), Ryan Gardner, Will Hayes and Brad Lynch. The Bulldogs should look at recruiting another experienced key defender to release Keath to play his more natural role as an interceptor/second or third defender. Bruce had a disappointing season and I think another experienced tall forward might help take some of the pressure off him, while there is a need for a forward-ruck to help English.

TRADE TARGETS
The Bulldogs should be aggressive in the trade and free agency market to fill immediate needs and target players who can top off the list to win a premiership.

Adelaide’s Daniel Talia would be an ideal target as that key defender to take the opposition’s No.1 forward. With the Crows in a rebuild, the Bulldogs should chase him hard and sell the opportunity to win a premiership before he retires. For what he brings to a team in the window, I’d offer a second-round pick for him.

Michael Hurley is another that would fit that bill and although contracted, he’s apparently not happy at the Bombers. In isolation, I’d offer a pick in the 25-40 range for Hurley but could he be involved in a trade for Dunkley?

Ben Brown would be a perfect fit at the Bulldogs. They love to move the ball quickly, which suits his lead-up style, while he can also give English a chop out in the ruck. A forward line of Brown, Naughton and Bruce with Wallis as a marking small would be very dangerous and a nightmare for opposition teams.

Levi Casboult is another player I’d look at. He can play as the forward-ruck and his biggest strength is his contested marking ability, so would provide huge value as a third serious aerial threat inside 50. He’s contracted at the Blues but I think they’d be willing to trade him given their key position depth. A second-round pick would be a smart deal because while he’s not a star, he’d provide good value.

UNTOUCHABLES
Bontempelli, Liberatore, Hunter, English, Dunkley, Daniel, Macrae, Richards, B. Smith, Johannisen, Weightman, Naughton, Wallis, Wood, Laitham Vandermeer, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale, Toby McLean and Patrick Lipinski.

TRADE BAIT
The Josh Dunkley link to Essendon is an interesting story given he was one of the Bulldogs’ leading midfielders in 2019, but this year he was used in different roles. It’s obviously frustrated him and might be why he’s looking for a club that will play him as an inside tall midfielder. The Bulldogs have said that they won’t trade him – he has two years to run on his contract – and to me, he’s an untouchable because he’s a ball magnet who kicks goals. Goal-kicking midfielders are worth their weight in gold. It’s hard to see how the Bombers can get a deal done unless they offered two first-round picks or pick 6, 41 and Hurley. The Dogs need a key defender, so Hurley would be an ideal fit. The question is: Will Essendon pay overs for Dunkley given he has a contract?

The recruitment of Josh Schache hasn’t worked and while the Bulldogs could use another marking option inside 50, it seems he’s not in Luke Beveridge’s plans. A Schache and a draft pick for Brown trade with North Melbourne would be a win-win.

RATING THE LIST
A-grade: Bontempelli, English, Macrae

B: Daniel, Dale, Dunkley, Hunter, Johannisen, Keath, Liberatore, McLean, Wallis, Williams, Wood

C: Bruce, Cavarra, Cordy, Crozier, Duryea, Gardner, Gowers, Green, Hayes, Jong, Lipinski, Lloyd, Lynch, Schache, R. Smith, Suckling, Sweet, Trengove

Developing (with A-B grade potential): Naughton, Richards, B. Smith, Vandermeer, Weightman, West

Developing: Butler, Garcia, Khamis, Porter, Lachie Young, Lewis Young

What the ratings mean:

A-grade: Elite player on any AFL list

B: Top 10-18 player on most lists

C: An 18-30 player on a list

Developing: Aged 21 or under

CRYSTAL BALL
The Bulldogs are in the premiership window and should be in contention to win at least one premiership, potentially even multiple, from 2021-24. The club must make good list decisions and target specific stars from rival clubs to fill holes down back and up forward to make them even better. Must win another premiership in the next four years or this era will be wasted.

DOG GOD
29-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Interesting analysis by Bucks.
No way we go after Talia. Hurley is cooked and Ben Brown would only be thought about if Naughton went back.
Wood, McLean and Dale certainly shouldn’t be classed as B grade.
I think Bucks is slightly overrating our list there.

bornadog
29-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Bucks has said nothing different than what a few of us have thought and discussed here. Agree with DG, if Brown came in, Naughton would have to go back.

Overall the list is not a mess like some think, and just needs tinkering with a couple more key players.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Wonder how Crozier feels getting shoveled in amongst that lot. Caleb Daniel is elite. A grade all the way.

And shhhhh on Dale as a B grader we might get something good for him.

Happy Days
29-10-2020, 11:14 AM
Wonder how Crozier feels getting shoveled in amongst that lot.

He earned it this season I reckon.

Axe Man
29-10-2020, 11:16 AM
He earned it this season I reckon.

B grade first half, C grade second half?

GVGjr
29-10-2020, 11:23 AM
He's a mile off on a number of things, I don't think he's had a real close look at our list or our challenges

soupman
29-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Hard to take an article seriously when there are so many little errors.

Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter, Caleb Daniel, Jason Johannisen, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Easton Wood and Alex Keath are playing together in their prime with Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith, Tim English, Ed Richards and Cody Weightman just some of the young players injecting more excitement and talent into an already star-studded group.

If this is Easton Wood's prime then what was his 2015-16 season? Double Prime?

Overall the Bulldogs’ list is well balanced with good young talent coming through and the scope for some of the current C-grade players to develop into at least B-graders – such as Roarke Smith (injuries permitted), Ryan Gardner, Will Hayes and Brad Lynch.

Geez Buckenera has a lot more faith in Hayes and Lynch than anyone at our club has, Lynch hasn't even looked like getting a game for 4 of his 5 seasons at the club, but is going to be at least a B grader, maybe even an A.

Ben Brown would be a perfect fit at the Bulldogs. They love to move the ball quickly, which suits his lead-up style, while he can also give English a chop out in the ruck. A forward line of Brown, Naughton and Bruce with Wallis as a marking small would be very dangerous and a nightmare for opposition teams.

Yes our dump kick to the forward style perfectly suits long leading Brown. And a forwardline of Brown, Naughton, Bruce and Wallis is a rebounding defenders wettest dream.

UNTOUCHABLES
Bontempelli, Liberatore, Hunter, English, Dunkley, Daniel, Macrae, Richards, B. Smith, Johannisen, Weightman, Naughton, Wallis, Wood, Laitham Vandermeer, Rhylee West, Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale, Toby McLean and Patrick Lipinski.

Ah yes untouchable star *checks notes*....Bailey Dale.

Also Rhylee West and Patrick Lipinski are odd choices, and Alex Keath (and to a lesser extent Hayden Crozier) can probably feel hard done by to not make this list ahead of others.

It’s hard to see how the Bombers can get a deal done unless they offered two first-round picks or pick 6, 41 and Hurley.

These two things are not the same.

RATING THE LIST
A-grade: Bontempelli, English, Macrae

B: Daniel, Dale, Dunkley, Hunter, Johannisen, Keath, Liberatore, McLean, Wallis, Williams, Wood

C: Bruce, Cavarra, Cordy, Crozier, Duryea, Gardner, Gowers, Green, Hayes, Jong, Lipinski, Lloyd, Lynch, Schache, R. Smith, Suckling, Sweet, Trengove

Developing (with A-B grade potential): Naughton, Richards, B. Smith, Vandermeer, Weightman, West

Developing: Butler, Garcia, Khamis, Porter, Lachie Young, Lewis Young

What the ratings mean:

A-grade: Elite player on any AFL list

B: Top 10-18 player on most lists

C: An 18-30 player on a list

Developing: Aged 21 or under

This is a complete shambles.

English is not an elite player on any AFL list yet, Daniel however who was literally selected in the team of the year as being in the best 3 players in his position in the league is clearly elite (much like Steele and Butler who were both ranked as B graders for the Saints).

This guy loves Dale (and to a lesser extent Mclean), neither are in the best 18 players on our list let alone most lists.

Meanwhile Crozier gets lumped in with guys like Billy Gowers and Fergus Greene as the shitty depth guys because Buckenera hasn't provided himself with another category where he can shovel the shit.

I mean points for trying but it really sours an article when every second example they provide is dumb. Surely if he ran it past like a single Bulldogs supporter half of these errors would be fixed.

comrade
29-10-2020, 11:31 AM
UNTOUCHABLES

I'd happily consider offers on every bolded player. None are untouchable, IMO.

soupman
29-10-2020, 11:35 AM

"Bucks, You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

SquirrelGrip
29-10-2020, 12:00 PM
I think he got English and Daniel mixed up.

hujsh
29-10-2020, 12:13 PM

You'd consider an offer on Bailey Smith?

comrade
29-10-2020, 12:14 PM
You'd consider an offer on Baily Smith?

Yep, but it'd have to be very, very good.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 01:10 PM

I nearly choked on my spit.

comrade
29-10-2020, 01:19 PM
I nearly choked on my spit.

Which one/s is unreasonable? :D

GVGjr
29-10-2020, 02:49 PM
You'd consider an offer on Bailey Smith?

Yep, but it'd have to be very, very good.

Comrade, on a totally unrelated matter, what are your thoughts on getting a WOOF naughty corner in place? :)

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Comrade, on a totally unrelated matter, what are your thoughts on getting a WOOF naughty corner in place?

Isn't Jeemak already there? I don't like the idea of Comrade and Jeemak together.

Bulldog Joe
29-10-2020, 03:25 PM
I think he got English and Daniel mixed up.

Well they are almost twins:cool:

jeemak
29-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Isn't Jeemak already there? I don't like the idea of Comrade and Jeemak together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYeAu71rHdE

jeemak
29-10-2020, 04:55 PM
Buckenara is usually pretty good with his annual write up, though has missed the ball as pretty much everyone has pointed out on a lot of elements.

Is he marking Daniel down due to his height?

WBFC4FFC
29-10-2020, 05:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYeAu71rHdE

Like Homer's cover better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtGaZ4PiQb8&index=103&list=PLOilyHL1fBqZfdlkFKD7DTOW3Cv97GnX7

divvydan
29-10-2020, 05:14 PM
All clubs marked Daniel down due to his height and in reality, Daniel is really only suitable for a couple of different on-field roles, so it's hard to make him an A grader given that he needs the right role in the right structure to flourish, even though he's clearly an A grader in his current role here.

1eyedog
29-10-2020, 08:26 PM
So what you're saying is he's an A grader.

divvydan
30-10-2020, 12:02 AM
So what you're saying is he's an A grader.

For us yes. For every AFL-list, probably not, unless they're willing to make sacrifices to bring out the best in him.

jeemak
30-10-2020, 12:12 AM
For us yes. For every AFL-list, probably not, unless they're willing to make sacrifices to bring out the best in him.

Interesting.

Not saying you're wrong though someone good enough to be made All Australian not rated elite is a bit counter intuitive and I sort of see the reasoning for it.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2020, 12:15 AM
Thanks for posting.
I don't want Ben Brown. Seems a bit one dimensional.
We have enough bad hair at Whitten Oval these days anyway.

boydogs
30-10-2020, 03:01 AM
We're a very even list, Bont is probably the only player in the league's top 20 but we'd have 10 in the top 100
Given that we can't afford gaps like no ruck or crumber

jazzadogs
30-10-2020, 08:17 AM
The only interesting suggestion in there was Levi Casboult. I know he was often the second (sometimes first) ruck for the Blues this year.

31 next season, 201cm and 101kg.
Will be a free agent at the end of 2021.
Averaged 1.8 contested marks per game (7th in AFL for total in 2020), 16 goals 8 behinds for the season, and averaged 5 hitouts per game.

His best game as a ruckman in 2020 was round one v Tigers. 16 hitouts, 16 disposals, 2 goals and a couple of clearances.

Could he be our two year English helper? Is he an upgrade on Trengrove (yes for me, better mark and more mobile). I doubt he would cost much at his age, and with Blues having McKay, De Koning and Pittonet.

FrediKanoute
30-10-2020, 08:30 AM
The only interesting suggestion in there was Levi Casboult. I know he was often the second (sometimes first) ruck for the Blues this year.

Averaged 1.8 contested marks per game (7th in AFL for total in 2020), 16 goals 8 behinds for the season, and averaged 5 hitouts per game.

His best game as a ruckman in 2020 was round one v Tigers. 16 hitouts, 16 disposals, 2 goals and a couple of clearances.

Could he be our two year English helper? Is he an upgrade on Trengrove (yes for me, better mark and more mobile). I doubt he would cost much at his age, and with Blues having McKay, De Koning and Pittonet.

Why not chase de Koning then?

GVGjr
30-10-2020, 08:41 AM

Casboult has showed in recent years you can improve as a footballer even when you are 27. His goal kicking accuracy is proof of that and with a trend for many clubs to go into games with just one ruckman that forwards like him that can fill in for 5 minute bursts per quarter as a ruck man can be invaluable for the set-up of sides.
Unless we move Naughton or Bruce to the back line I just can't see why he would be interested in coming to us and why we would be interested in him

bornadog
30-10-2020, 09:58 AM

He just signed a new contract

jazzadogs
30-10-2020, 06:04 PM

Because we want a stop gap for a few years while English matures, and Casboult would cost a late pick vs De Koning a 21 year old developing ruckman.

If we are considering Ratugolea and Mason Cox, I don't think Casboult is much different to them. Ratugolea is younger and more athletic, and is probably showing similar signs to Casboult early in his career (can take a mark, but then cover your eyes). Mason Cox has played a handful of good games in his career, but admittedly they have all come in finals.