PDA

View Full Version : Geelong

soupman
31-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Do these guys deserve their own thread?

Quality side that after fielding the 5 oldest lineups ever at the end of this season have doubled down and targeted even more experience.

They clearly have every intention of going all out for that flag while they still have Dangerfield in his prime and guys like Selwood, Duncan and Hawkins contributing. They've been agressive and this is probably the best example we've seen of a club adopting this kind of strategy.

If they grab Higgins as well to add to Smith and Cameron are they even better, even after the departures of Ablett and Taylor, and will losing the fringe youth types like Jordan Clark hurt them long term?

comrade
31-10-2020, 12:52 PM
They’ve identified that the combination of having the most beneficial stadium advantage in the league, FA, the appeal of the surf coast lifestyle and the financial opportunities they offer outside the cap, means they’ll never have to bottom out again.

Happy Days
31-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Cameron is a massive in. They should have stopped there.

Getting one, maybe two years of Higgins and Smith is not worth losing Clark/Constable/Narkle and I'd question if it even makes them any better. I know they were left pretty embarrassed by having Atkins at a crucial stoppage in the Port final and want to shore up the back end of their 22, but if I were in their position I would back in their younger players to improve at a logical rate rather than replace them with vets.

They were probably the best team last season and adding one of the more dynamic forwards in the game would have been enough to put them over the top. The other moves will bear a significant cost in a couple of years when the hole they've created in their 21-23 year olds becomes more apparent as a hole in 24-26 year olds (assuming the rumoured guys actually leave of course).

Happy Days
31-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Also do they even have a salary cap?

soupman
31-10-2020, 01:05 PM
The other moves will bear a significant cost in a couple of years when the hole they've created in their 21-23 year olds becomes more apparent as a hole in 24-26 year olds (assuming the rumoured guys actually leave of course).

They hold picks 13, 15, 20 and 37 atm so may not be in as bad a position with youth as it appears if they can make some of them stick, although if GWS match the Cameron bid they'll lose most of those you'd imagine.

If they can bring in a couple of talented young guys this year and retain half of those fringe young guys they may be able to patch up that hole a little, and there is a slight chance their current strategy of targeting these old guys could be sustainable if they can bring in a big fish every few years. They have certainly demonstrated they can sell the club so it isn't inconceivable that they could grab a free agent like Michael Walters, Isaac Heeney, Christian Petracca or Jackson Macrae to play with a 32 year old Dangerfield and keep them competetive.

soupman
31-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Also do they even have a salary cap?

I imagine the departures of Ablett and Taylor help in this regard, and I think they are hitting the sweet spot with getting guys like Smith and Higgins over for stuff all in their search for a Premiership. I'm sure practically owning the Geelong community and all the off field benefit that entails wouldn't hurt them either.

1eyedog
31-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Here's hoping another GF loss beckons. This year was soooo sweet. The only good thing about Geelong is the ring road.

Mitcha
31-10-2020, 01:21 PM
#draftdodgers

1eyedog
31-10-2020, 01:25 PM
They hold picks 13, 15, 20 and 37 atm so may not be in as bad a position with youth as it appears if they can make some of them stick, although if GWS match the Cameron bid they'll lose most of those you'd imagine.

If they can bring in a couple of talented young guys this year and retain half of those fringe young guys they may be able to patch up that hole a little, and there is a slight chance their current strategy of targeting these old guys could be sustainable if they can bring in a big fish every few years. They have certainly demonstrated they can sell the club so it isn't inconceivable that they could grab a free agent like Michael Walters, Isaac Heeney, Christian Petracca or Jackson Macrae to play with a 32 year old Dangerfield and keep them competetive.

Surely GWS match the bid. They have to stick up for themselves as a footy club at some stage don't they?

Testekill
31-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Sounds like Menegola might be on the table, since he was a late bloomer he wants his next contract to be the one that offers a good amount of money and stability. Turning 29 in March but he'd be a great target for us if we can put him on the opposite wing to Hunter.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Here's hoping another GF loss beckons. This year was soooo sweet. The only good thing about Geelong is the ring road.

Come on that's a bit harsh about the town haha but hilarious. :D Very true about the GF loss. Sweet!
I didn't even watch the grand final I was so sure Tigers were going to win.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2020, 01:40 PM
They’ve identified that the combination of having the most beneficial stadium advantage in the league, FA, the appeal of the surf coast lifestyle and the financial opportunities they offer outside the cap, means they’ll never have to bottom out again.

I must say Scott is looking very thin and haggard these days. It's a tough place to be a coach. Under the microscope 24 hours a day.

GVGjr
31-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Do these guys deserve their own thread?

They do have one but a new one won't hurt

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19283-Geelong

GVGjr
31-10-2020, 02:09 PM
#draftdodgers

Geelong and Hawthorn are two team that have typically preferred to trade mid first round picks for established players and then back themselves by turning later picks into good players.

bornadog
31-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Surely GWS match the bid. They have to stick up for themselves as a footy club at some stage don't they?

$900k over 5 years, plus 1 extra year triggered depending on reaching a few targets

azabob
31-10-2020, 03:13 PM
GWS are matching the Cameron contract offer.

Grantysghost
31-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Lovely. Geelong will have to cough up now, nice to see.

soupman
31-10-2020, 03:40 PM

Great news. Go GWS.

EasternWest
31-10-2020, 03:43 PM
Great news. Go GWS.

This might be the first and last time those words are ever written on this board.

bornadog
31-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Lovely. Geelong will have to cough up now, nice to see.

Compensation was pick 11, but GWS believe it should be more. Geelong hold 13, 15, 20.

mjp
31-10-2020, 06:05 PM
Cameron is a massive in.

So.

Cameron was a good player back in 2016-2019 and pretty ordinary this year. Even at his best though, I am really (really) interested in exactly how he would have helped on Grand Final day.

Geelong got absolutely abused once their short kicking game was shut-down by Richmond's pressure. Admittedly, that was pretty good pressure, but I just don't understand how adding Cameron would have helped or even will help in the future. I have people telling me he is perfect because he is completely different to Hawkins (plays higher, more athletic etc)...and then those same people tell me he will really provide a seamless transition to life after Hawkins because they have another key forward in place?

Geelong got abused around the outside of the game (flanks and wings) with the ability of McIntosh to run with Menegola really challenging the Cat's outside players...and the fact that guys like Lambert, Short, Graham, Baker (I could and probably should go on) completely abused their Geelong equivalents. I simply cannot get away from the fact that the 2019 prelim and the 2020 GF were the SAME GAME (Geelong up early, Richmond storming back) yet this year Geelong missed their best player from 2019...a mid (Kelly) who they have yet to replace.

Maybe they are confident the upgrades they need (outside running players with genuine grunt) are already on their list (yep, Jordan Clarke might be one of them) but adding ageing runners Higgins (maybe an upgrade on Ablett I guess) and Smith (who plays where exactly??) is going to solve their problems precisely how?

I love what Geelong have done in really staying competitive throughout but the facts remain: Richmond moved their best player FORWARD and didn't miss a beat in the mids - their 2nd tier inside players were awesome and continue to improve (Bolton, come on down). Geelong have an improving Parfitt but (and this hurts my heart) Narkle is simply not getting better and might never reach his potential - maybe that ACL has just taken away his chances to hit the top end???

To me, Geelong have a rare opportunity this year - a group of draftees that are really pretty unknown to most clubs (well, they 'know' them but they don't 'KNOW' them) and a recruiter roundly regarded as the best at spotting under-age talent...and 3x picks in the first round. They should sit their and TAKE THEM. They should find their replacements for Selwood and Dangerfield. They should recognise that Duncan and Menegola are also getting up there and try to find their replacements as well. Spending draft capital on a forward who they don't need right now? Well - to me that is a luxury they can't afford...particularly if Cameron#2020 is more than a short term thing.

bornadog
31-10-2020, 06:09 PM
Geelong's players 30 plus in 2021

Selwood
Hawkins
Jenkins
Tuohy
Henderson
Steven
Dangerfield
Stanley
Blicavs
Rohan
Duncan

Add in Smith and Higgins.

I would be using my first round picks to grab some decent future players

Bulldog Joe
31-10-2020, 07:33 PM
So.

Cameron was a good player back in 2016-2019 and pretty ordinary this year. Even at his best though, I am really (really) interested in exactly how he would have helped on Grand Final day.

Geelong got absolutely abused once their short kicking game was shut-down by Richmond's pressure. Admittedly, that was pretty good pressure, but I just don't understand how adding Cameron would have helped or even will help in the future. I have people telling me he is perfect because he is completely different to Hawkins (plays higher, more athletic etc)...and then those same people tell me he will really provide a seamless transition to life after Hawkins because they have another key forward in place?

Geelong got abused around the outside of the game (flanks and wings) with the ability of McIntosh to run with Menegola really challenging the Cat's outside players...and the fact that guys like Lambert, Short, Graham, Baker (I could and probably should go on) completely abused their Geelong equivalents. I simply cannot get away from the fact that the 2019 prelim and the 2020 GF were the SAME GAME (Geelong up early, Richmond storming back) yet this year Geelong missed their best player from 2019...a mid (Kelly) who they have yet to replace.

Maybe they are confident the upgrades they need (outside running players with genuine grunt) are already on their list (yep, Jordan Clarke might be one of them) but adding ageing runners Higgins (maybe an upgrade on Ablett I guess) and Smith (who plays where exactly??) is going to solve their problems precisely how?

I love what Geelong have done in really staying competitive throughout but the facts remain: Richmond moved their best player FORWARD and didn't miss a beat in the mids - their 2nd tier inside players were awesome and continue to improve (Bolton, come on down). Geelong have an improving Parfitt but (and this hurts my heart) Narkle is simply not getting better and might never reach his potential - maybe that ACL has just taken away his chances to hit the top end???

To me, Geelong have a rare opportunity this year - a group of draftees that are really pretty unknown to most clubs (well, they 'know' them but they don't 'KNOW' them) and a recruiter roundly regarded as the best at spotting under-age talent...and 3x picks in the first round. They should sit their and TAKE THEM. They should find their replacements for Selwood and Dangerfield. They should recognise that Duncan and Menegola are also getting up there and try to find their replacements as well. Spending draft capital on a forward who they don't need right now? Well - to me that is a luxury they can't afford...particularly if Cameron#2020 is more than a short term thing.

is their ability to recognise talent compromised by the fact that they stood down most of the recruiting team back in March.

Dry Rot
31-10-2020, 08:49 PM
Sounds like Menegola might be on the table, since he was a late bloomer he wants his next contract to be the one that offers a good amount of money and stability. Turning 29 in March but he'd be a great target for us if we can put him on the opposite wing to Hunter.

What's a fair trade for Menegola?

jeemak
31-10-2020, 09:18 PM
What's a fair trade for Menegola?

Good question.

No lower than a mid second I'd have thought.

Twodogs
31-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Geelong's players 30 plus in 2021

Selwood
Hawkins
Jenkins
Tuohy
Henderson
Steven
Dangerfield
Stanley
Blicavs
Rohan
Duncan

Add in Smith and Higgins.

I would be using my first round picks to grab some decent future players

https://youtu.be/xfQwHb1pWPE

1eyedog
31-10-2020, 10:14 PM

Perfect and so they should.

1eyedog
31-10-2020, 10:19 PM
So.

Perfect summation but shhhhhhhh. In all seriousness though it seems they are prepared to drop out of the 8 for a few years if they can just mayonnaise one more flag. Scott is depending on it.

mjp
01-11-2020, 12:04 AM
is their ability to recognise talent compromised by the fact that they stood down most of the recruiting team back in March.

Given most of them watch footy in Victoria- where there was zero footy played - what would the impact of this really be?

ledge
01-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Doing a North Melbourne trying to get a flag before they all retire , and look what happened to North.
I think this year was the year they had the chance and should now be dropping older players off and bringing in the young.

GVGjr
01-11-2020, 10:11 AM
You have to admire that they have assembled a strong group of players and have consistently put themselves in a position to win flags.
I think it's one of the reasons why players want to go there because they know the club isn't fluffing around rebuilding

They've got a good eye for talent and look no further than recruiting Sam Menegola who was at the Hawks and Fremantle for no senior games and yet he has thrived in Geelongs environment although injuries prior to his arrival at Geelong were a contributing factor

Bulldog Joe
01-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Given most of them watch footy in Victoria- where there was zero footy played - what would the impact of this really be?

My specific knowledge comes from a former Perth based person.

Bulldog4life
01-11-2020, 10:55 AM
This might be the first and last time those words are ever written on this board.

Unless we are rooting for them.

mjp
01-11-2020, 03:20 PM
They've got a good eye for talent and look no further than recruiting Sam Menegola who was at the Hawks and Fremantle for no senior games and yet he has thrived in Geelongs environment although injuries prior to his arrival at Geelong were a contributing factor

Well...

After his AFL career fell apart - remember he was drafted as a CHF - Menegola changed his body and training regime, went back to the WAFL and won a Sandover playing as an inside mid...he totally changed his game (like 180 degree transformation). Geelong drafted him but I give full credit to the player in this instance - he was getting drafted at the end of what was a remarkable performance and one that no-one had seen coming.

Axe Man
04-11-2020, 12:55 PM
The cats considering paying out the second year of Jack Steven's contract to get him off the list.

SquirrelGrip
04-11-2020, 01:09 PM
The cats considering paying out the second year of Jack Steven's contract to get him off the list.

Would love to see an audit of their salary cap...

Mitcha
04-11-2020, 01:22 PM

That's totally understandable. They need to move some aging players out to get some even older types in!!! #draftdodgers

1eyedog
04-11-2020, 01:31 PM

That's a shame. Hope he'll be ok but he was a massive risk.

Rocket Science
04-11-2020, 01:32 PM

Good lord.

Watch them having the same conversation with Isaac Smith a year from now.

Bulldog Joe
04-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Good lord.

Watch them having the same conversation with Isaac Smith a year from now.

I think Isaac Smith will be a bit better for them than Steven. Steven had huge issues in his last year at St Kilda and lots of personal baggage. I don't see any of that with Isaac.

comrade
04-11-2020, 02:32 PM
I think Isaac Smith will be a bit better for them than Steven. Steven had huge issues in his last year at St Kilda and lots of personal baggage. I don't see any of that with Isaac.

Yeah and there's also no chance that Smith rolls out looking like a blimp next year.

GVGjr
04-11-2020, 04:22 PM

Poor bloke was way too distracted

ledge
08-11-2020, 06:54 PM
The Gary Rohan Story is out doing the rounds again, I think it’s actually reached the papers now.
His Mrs putting out blogs.

comrade
08-11-2020, 09:08 PM
The Gary Rohan Story is out doing the rounds again, I think it’s actually reached the papers now.
His Mrs putting out blogs.

Yeah, that genie isn't going back in the lamp.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Well...

After his AFL career fell apart - remember he was drafted as a CHF - Menegola changed his body and training regime, went back to the WAFL and won a Sandover playing as an inside mid...he totally changed his game (like 180 degree transformation). Geelong drafted him but I give full credit to the player in this instance - he was getting drafted at the end of what was a remarkable performance and one that no-one had seen coming.
Panos almost did the same thing.

Mofra
09-11-2020, 09:07 AM
I don't understand the Geelong criticism TBH - they have one of the best recruiting/list management teams in the business and have done their best to sell their USP to players, especially those that want to escape the city spotlight. Dangerfield can probably walk into the General Store at Moggs Creek without getting hassled - do you think he could do the same in Rundle Mall?

Every club has to find "something" to offer.

azabob
09-11-2020, 09:17 AM
I don't understand the Geelong criticism TBH - they have one of the best recruiting/list management teams in the business and have done their best to sell their USP to players, especially those that want to escape the city spotlight. Dangerfield can probably walk into the General Store at Moggs Creek without getting hassled - do you think he could do the same in Rundle Mall?

I do wonder if the criticism is driven from some form of jealousy.

comrade
09-11-2020, 09:18 AM

It's a pretty appealing proposition: successful side, home ground advantage, financial opportunities outside footy/salary cap & surf coast lifestyle.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Sedat will love this one, Vic State Gov has committed another $40 million to finish off the stands at Geelong.

I hope we get the same for our redevelopment that we have put in submissions for.

Sedat
09-11-2020, 03:06 PM
Sedat will love this one, Vic State Gov has committed another $40 million to finish off the stands at Geelong.

I hope we get the same for our redevelopment that we have put in submissions for.
Without getting political on this site (which I won't), but colour me stupid if there isn't 1 million better ways to utilise the finite resource of govt purse strings in a pandemic, where the local economy and employment market has been utterly decimated and the mental/physical health and well-being of 6.6 million Victorians has been so badly compromised.

This is an awful decision IMO, and not just because I hate Geelong.

bornadog
09-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Without getting political on this site (which I won't), but colour me stupid if there isn't 1 million better ways to utilise the finite resource of govt purse strings in a pandemic, where the local economy and employment market has been utterly decimated and the mental/physical health and well-being of 6.6 million Victorians has been so badly compromised.

This is an awful decision IMO, and not just because I hate Geelong.

Other than that great idea :D :D

Pretty sure infrastructure jobs ready to go will be funded (creates jobs ).

I am hoping our proposal put forward to the government will be funded and then we can start with the extension of the Training centre which needs a refresh and to be brought up to date with enhanced facilities. Originally it was one of the best out of all clubs when it was completed but that is getting on to almost 20 years ago.

Sedat
09-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Other than that great idea :D :D

Pretty sure infrastructure jobs ready to go will be funded (creates jobs ).

I am hoping our proposal put forward to the government will be funded and then we can start with the extension of the Training centre which needs a refresh and to be brought up to date with enhanced facilities. Originally it was one of the best out of all clubs when it was completed but that is getting on to almost 20 years ago.
Whilst I agree that creation of jobs is a priority, the construction sector had taken far less of a financial hit than so many other sectors. Hospitality and tourism and the arts/live entertainment have been almost wiped from the map. Let alone the aviation industry and non-essential retail as well. Health and fitness industries have only just reopened today (the indoor ones at least) after being closed for almost the entire duration since March. I'm sure there are hundreds of other industries more significantly affected than building and construction.

Geelong have already benefited an enormous amount from state and federal coffers pre-COVID. I do not think this is right or fair that they are being prioritised ahead of other more needy industries post-pandemic

Topdog
09-11-2020, 04:12 PM
Agree completely Sedat (assuming your last sentence is missing a "not") but unfortunately Governments love to be able to wear a hard hat and make a big announcement.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2021, 11:11 PM
Damn shame.

jeemak
21-08-2021, 11:13 PM
I reckon Chris Scott would have put in an Eric Cartman style crackshit off camera just then. The way he left the box was so Eric Cartman is wasn't funny.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Recent stuff:

GAJ - Pick 19 (essentially)
Dahl - FA
Jack Steven - Pick 58
Josh Jenkins - Pick 37
Isaac Smith - FA
Shaun Higgins - Pick 30
Jeremy Cameron - Picks 13, 15, 20, 4th (seconds back)
Gary Rohan - Pick 61

Totals: Picks 13, 15, 19, 20, 30, 37, 58, 61

FMD. Some other teams have horrific recent records. All those picks and money. Nothing to show now or in the immediate future. That’s nearly as bad as any of the other bad ones currently going.

angelopetraglia
10-09-2021, 11:30 PM
Geelong scores in finals losses:

Tonight
43 QF

42 QF
50 GF

51 QF
66 GF

46 EF

40 QF

60 PF

bulldogtragic
10-09-2021, 11:36 PM
Averaging 52 points across all those finals. They just cant score it seems. Cameron & Rohan isn’t helping either.

hujsh
10-09-2021, 11:40 PM
Recent stuff:

GAJ - Pick 19 (essentially)
Dahl - FA
Jack Steven - Pick 58
Josh Jenkins - Pick 37
Isaac Smith - FA
Shaun Higgins - Pick 30
Jeremy Cameron - Picks 13, 15, 20, 4th (seconds back)
Gary Rohan - Pick 61

Totals: Picks 13, 15, 19, 20, 30, 37, 58, 61

FMD. Some other teams have horrific recent records. All those picks and money. Nothing to show now or in the immediate future. That’s nearly as bad as any of the other bad ones currently going.

I didn't remember Jenkins going for that high a pick nor Rohan going for that low a pick.

I mean we know Rohan is pretty bad in finals but he does at least do well in the H&A stuff

bulldogtragic
10-09-2021, 11:44 PM
I didn't remember Jenkins going for that high a pick nor Rohan going for that low a pick.

I mean we know Rohan is pretty bad in finals but he does at least do well in the H&A stuff

They got a less future pick back. Rohan was cheap because of wanting to be with his wife in Geelong after their trauma. Then he added some trauma to her.

Axe Man
10-09-2021, 11:46 PM
Someone has had some fun on Wikipedia
https://i.postimg.cc/q7m7D6yT/C6-C6-D78-C-A476-4-ECB-A053-8469-BD3-C3-B73.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TyDGpwt7)

https://i.postimg.cc/1zRtKrgB/D420666-C-9-BE3-42-A3-B017-C26-EB51-C5419.jpg (https://postimg.cc/PCcTXZQv)

EasternWest
11-09-2021, 12:04 AM

What's actually become of Jenkins?

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 12:05 AM
What's actually become of Jenkins?

Soon to be delisted after doing ok for the Geelong VFL.

EasternWest
11-09-2021, 12:07 AM
Soon to be delisted after doing ok for the Geelong VFL.

Pretty rapid fall from grace.

Reckon he regrets knocking back Brisbane's big money offer all those years ago.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2021, 12:09 AM

What and miss out on all those sweet VFL matches these past years???

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 12:13 AM

Brisbane thrilled he didn’t. I don’t understand why Geelong took that on, or Jack Stevens. A big of arrogance that their club could turn them around.

bornadog
11-09-2021, 12:25 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-7NHOdVIAQIGoF?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 12:53 AM
Chris Scott looks broken. Sad.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2021, 01:30 AM
Fair amount of hubris to the Geelong approach. They've filled up, not just on players who are on the elderly side of the footballing spectrum, but also dudes that have significant, ingrained negative traits. They've taken a big gamble that they could harness their strengths and mitigate or hide their weaknesses.

Higgins... great kick.... but massive finger pointer with suspect hams and heart strings.
Jenkins... great....ummm.....good.....ummmm... okay I guess a range of stuff.. but of footballing geriatric vintage
Dahlhaus.... was once a warrior.... but has failed to find 'motovation'... and has also been unable to improve his kicking beyond VFL level
Henderson.. just cooked.. has been a good players, but he looked old tonight
Rohan... Hello... is it me your looking for???? Perennial regular season al dente finisher... finals series overcooked wet spaghetti....limp, lifeless and irredeemable. 1 Disposal....
Cameron.... how many picks did he cost? not much return

I know Dahl & Jenkins didn't play play tonight, but they still clogged up a list spot.
We may get pumped tomorrow night... but if buying futures.. I'd still be buying Bulldog stock over Geelong even if we get rolled by 10 goals tomorrow..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2021, 01:31 AM
Chris Scott looks broken. Sad.

I'm comfortable with that.

macca
11-09-2021, 02:14 AM
Fair amount of hubris to the Geelong approach. They've filled up, not just on players who are on the elderly side of the footballing spectrum, but also dudes that have significant, ingrained negative traits. They've taken a big gamble that they could harness their strengths and mitigate or hide their weaknesses.

Higgins... great kick.... but massive finger pointer with suspect hams and heart strings.
Jenkins... great....ummm.....good.....ummmm... okay I guess a range of stuff.. but of footballing geriatric vintage
Dahlhaus.... was once a warrior.... but has failed to find 'motovation'... and has also been unable to improve his kicking beyond VFL level
Rohan... Hello... is it me your looking for???? Perennial regular season al dente finisher... finals series overcooked wet spaghetti....limp, lifeless and irredeemable. 1 Disposal....

I know Dahl & Jenkins didn't play play tonight, but they still clogged up a list spot.
We may get pumped tomorrow night... but if buying futures.. I'd still be buying Bulldog stock over Geelong even if we get rolled by 10 goals tomorrow..

Geelong are in a world of pain with 11 players over 30 tonight playing, and 2 mentioned above in Dahl and Jenkins can add to that ageing list = 13 players.

This could be their peak.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Don’t you ever, ever use Lionel Richie’s words like that ever again. I won’t stand for it. I won’t take that Geelong were Easy, or Melbourne we’re celebrating the Geelong capitulation All Night Long. I don’t even want to duet with you about Geelong embarrassing themselves in finals prime time as just pure Endless Love. So, Say you, Say me.

Mitcha
11-09-2021, 11:11 AM
In light of last nights result, we the Geelong football club board make the following recommendations to the match committee and recruiting staff for the upcoming off season.
STRATEGIC
It is felt that the decision to load up on youth in last nights game backfired badly. Finals are tough and brutal contests and four players under the age of 27 was far too many placing additional pressure on some of our mature types who cannot do all the heavy lifting. We are staggered that Luke Dahlhaus and Josh Jenkins couldn't make the 23 and that Shaun Higgins was under utilized on the night. We also believe that Jack Steven was not given enough opportunity before delisting.
It is also felt that too much is left to Paddy and Joel in terms of on ground umpire feedback and that an additional experienced communicator needs to be added to the playing list so we implore that Gary Junior is contacted regarding his availability for next season.
DEFENCE
It is felt that we need to stiffen the back end of the ground. Daniel Talia from the Adelaide football club has expressed a desire to continue in the AFL system but at this stage we feel at 30 that he is not quite mature enough to help us so need to look elsewhere. We believe Garry Malarkey has expressed an interest in returning and we also have made contact with Austin McCrabb regarding his availability.
FORWARD
Tough night for the forwards last night with a lack of connectivity with the mids. In light of Jeremy Cameron's continued absence in finals and the untimely forward fifty erection of the Gary Rohan annual September statuette we need to bolster this area. Larry Donohue has graciously offered his services and we believe that Doug Wade is still quite lively so are options for this area.
We are also led to believe that the AFL run something called an AFL draft generally around November where talent can be obtained but we as a club are currently chasing details to see if in fact this event does actually take place as we have not heard or in fact utilized this avenue previously.

GET TO THE DRAFT YOU FLOGS.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 11:14 AM
They only have 30, 31, 35 & 53 this draft. Unless they trade out something good.

bornadog
11-09-2021, 11:34 AM

So who made these decisions? they should be in the gun.

josie
11-09-2021, 11:38 AM
Which cats players might be prised away or put on market? Of those which would we be interested in?

Dry Rot
11-09-2021, 11:41 AM
They only have 30, 31, 35 & 53 this draft. Unless they trade out something good.

Their first round draft pick from next year?

Dry Rot
11-09-2021, 11:42 AM
Are most of the Cats geriatric players under contract next season?

Hope so.

EasternWest
11-09-2021, 11:54 AM
So who made these decisions? they should be in the gun.

Gary Rohan.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Don’t you ever, ever use Lionel Richie’s words like that ever again. I won’t stand for it. I won’t take that Geelong were Easy, or Melbourne we’re celebrating the Geelong capitulation All Night Long. I don’t even want to duet with you about Geelong embarrassing themselves in finals prime time as just pure Endless Love. So, Say you, Say me.

Lets just hope tonight we're the one's dancing all night long

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Lets just hope tonight we're the one's dancing all night long

I dance on the ceiling.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Their first round draft pick from next year?

If they want to kill any chance at rebuilding, sure. You’d think now if the time to look at rebuilding. They’re stuffed as the oldest list gets older next year.

Bulldog Joe
11-09-2021, 05:58 PM

Well the only player that is both good and fitting an age profile that others would look at is Tom Stewart.
All the younger players have been kept from public view and just couldn't attract a worthwhile pick

Topdog
11-09-2021, 07:14 PM
No one mentions it but danger is finished too

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 07:20 PM
Well the only player that is both good and fitting an age profile that others would look at is Tom Stewart.
All the younger players have been kept from public view and just couldn't attract a worthwhile pick

They’ve stuffed it up big time. Will guys like Clark or Narkle ask to leave for game time? Will Geelong grant it?

GVGjr
11-09-2021, 07:25 PM
They’ve stuffed it up big time. Will guys like Clark or Narkle ask to leave for game time? Will Geelong grant it?

Add Constable to that list.

jazzadogs
11-09-2021, 07:37 PM

I wonder if they could be a target for draft points trading. 30 and 31 up to 18 gets us some extra points, but probably not enough of a jump for them to consider it.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2021, 07:40 PM
I wonder if they could be a target for draft points trading. 30 and 31 up to 18 gets us some extra points, but probably not enough of a jump for them to consider it.

The vengeful in me doesn’t want to help them. If it’s not traded towards a player you’d think a few clubs would want our First.

angelopetraglia
11-09-2021, 08:18 PM
At least a quarter of Geelong’s lineup that took to Optus Stadium on Friday night were battling symptoms from a virus that swept through the club, according to Fox Footy’s Tom Morris.

The report states that up to six players - including Cam Guthrie, Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close, and Lachie Henderson- were unwell in the lead-up to their preliminary final.

Geelong doctors were reportedly so concerned about the health of some players they felt compelled to inform the AFL in preparation for the possibility of several late changes.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-09-2021, 08:20 PM
At least a quarter of Geelong’s lineup that took to Optus Stadium on Friday night were battling symptoms from a virus that swept through the club, according to Fox Footy’s Tom Morris.

The report states that up to six players - including Cam Guthrie, Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Cameron, Brad Close, and Lachie Henderson- were unwell in the lead-up to their preliminary final.

Geelong doctors were reportedly so concerned about the health of some players they felt compelled to inform the AFL in preparation for the possibility of several late changes.

It’s really just meant to be for the dees this year.

EasternWest
11-09-2021, 08:21 PM

I heard it was a mix of finalsitis and oldmanitis.

josie
11-09-2021, 10:06 PM
Man that’s horrible. Would explain them looking flat as a pancake. Presumably Demon players could catch it? I hope not. Would not want to us or Port to win a GF that way. Unlikely but if they do catch it hopefully in 14 days they’ll be ok.

Mitcha
12-09-2021, 10:09 AM

Is Gout transmissible?

Mofra
14-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Man that’s horrible. Would explain them looking flat as a pancake. Presumably Demon players could catch it? I hope not. Would not want to us or Port to win a GF that way. Unlikely but if they do catch it hopefully in 14 days they’ll be ok.
I was actually thinking about this today. The week-bye before the GF might save them even if a few players did get sick.

bornadog
27-05-2022, 07:34 PM
Scott has been given a further two years

SquirrelGrip
27-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Scott has been given a further two years

Playing or coaching?

bornadog
27-05-2022, 07:46 PM
Playing or coaching?

Haha , Chris Scott the coach

SquirrelGrip
27-05-2022, 07:48 PM
Haha , Chris Scott the coach

Thought he might fit the age profile to play …

Twodogs
29-05-2022, 04:27 AM
Thought he might fit the age profile to play …

Nah, too young.

GVGjr
26-09-2022, 09:00 AM
Just listening to Trade radio and I didn't realise that Geelong only had 2 first rounders drafted by Geelong in their premiership team in De Koning and Selwood.

Obviously Dangerfield was a first rounder by Adelaide and Cameron was an underage priority selection but there must be a bit clubs can learn from Geelong.

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 09:21 AM
Just listening to Trade radio and I didn't realise that Geelong only had 2 first rounders drafted by Geelong in their premiership team in De Koning and Selwood.

Obviously Dangerfield was a first rounder by Adelaide and Cameron was an underage priority selection but there must be a bit clubs can learn from Geelong.

Their ability to identify talent is second to none.

Also shows the importance of continually knocking on the door.

2016 Prelim
2017 Prelim
2018 Elimination
2019 Prelim
2020 GF
2021 Prelim
2022 Flag

I do believe their home ground advantage is the biggest in the league considering they don’t have to travel like the non Victorian sides and it’s not shared with anyone, they train there, opposition can’t get in, unique shape etc etc .

comrade
26-09-2022, 09:54 AM
Their ability to identify talent is second to none.

Also shows the importance of continually knocking on the door.

2016 Prelim
2017 Prelim
2018 Elimination
2019 Prelim
2020 GF
2021 Prelim
2022 Flag

I do believe their home ground advantage is the biggest in the league considering they don’t have to travel like the non Victorian sides and it’s not shared with anyone, they train there, opposition can’t get in, unique shape etc etc .

They have some significant unfair advantages but they absolutely milk them to their maximum.

The home ground is obviously the huge one, basically 8 wins guaranteed a year means finishing top 8 is pretty straight forward each year. But the introduction of free agency will continue to make them uber competitive, with the coastal living element very appealing for players of a certain age. On top of that, having lived in Geelong in the mid 00s, the players are treated like rock stars wherever they go and the red carpet is laid out. Free meals, free rounds of golf, free everything. It’d be naive to think there aren’t plenty of under the table deals going on from well off supporters that makes the whole package pretty appealing.

It then becomes a fly wheel that spins faster and faster. More success, more free agents coming on board, more money to spend on coaches, more money on strength and conditioning, more on talent ID. Now the GFL is a semi professional league, funnelling more talent into their VFL program, leading to some incredibly cheap pick ups that have made big differences (Stewart, Atkins).

I’m still dirty on them getting Stengle. Blind Freddy could see he was going to be a great pick up if supported correctly and they used those above advantages to bring in Betts to provide that support and it paid huge dividends. Did we have a crack? Did we even consider it? If not, why?

We don’t have those built in advantages so no point wringing our hands about it. We have to unearth and utilise our own advantages, even if they aren’t as potent or obvious as Geelong’s. But we would be well served looking at how they are structured on and off the field and taking some cues, particularly how they bounced back from a humiliating finals loss last year and got better. We experienced a similar loss yet it felt like we learned nothing from it.

Chris Scott infuriates me but it’s probably due to envy than anything. His win:loss record is incredible and Bevo’s record against him is laughable. What is he doing as a leader of that club to help make that fly wheel spin? What can we learn? Is it more support around him? Does he delegate more? Are his on field leaders stronger than ours (I would say this is a definite yes).

Now, I know we’ve all been saying it for years but I do believe the flip side is they will take a step back slightly when Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger all finish up over the next few years. They won’t plummet, it’ll be more like they become a 5-8 side while they replenish their top end talent (which they will!). We need to be ready to fill the void when it happens.

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 10:05 AM
They have some significant unfair advantages but they absolutely milk them to their maximum.

The home ground is obviously the huge one, basically 8 wins guaranteed a year means finishing top 8 is pretty straight forward each year. But the introduction of free agency will continue to make them uber competitive, with the coastal living element very appealing for players of a certain age. On top of that, having lived in Geelong in the mid 00s, the players are treated like rock stars wherever they go and the red carpet is laid out. Free meals, free rounds of golf, free everything. It’d be naive to think there aren’t plenty of under the table deals going on from well off supporters that makes the whole package pretty appealing.

It then becomes a fly wheel that spins faster and faster. More success, more free agents coming on board, more money to spend on coaches, more money on strength and conditioning, more on talent ID. Now the GFL is a semi professional league, funnelling more talent into their VFL program, leading to some incredibly cheap pick ups that have made big differences (Stewart, Atkins).

I’m still dirty on them getting Stengle. Blind Freddy could see he was going to be a great pick up if supported correctly and they used those above advantages to bring in Betts to provide that support and it paid huge dividends. Did we have a crack? Did we even consider it? If not, why?

We don’t have those built in advantages so no point wringing our hands about it. We have to unearth and utilise our own advantages, even if they aren’t as potent or obvious as Geelong’s. But we would be well served looking at how they are structured on and off the field and taking some cues, particularly how they bounced back from a humiliating finals loss last year and got better. We experienced a similar loss yet it felt like we learned nothing from it.

Chris Scott infuriates me but it’s probably due to envy than anything. His win:loss record is incredible and Bevo’s record against him is laughable. What is he doing as a leader of that club to help make that fly wheel spin? What can we learn? Is it more support around him? Does he delegate more? Are his on field leaders stronger than ours (I would say this is a definite yes).

Now, I know we’ve all been saying it for years but I do believe the flip side is they will take a step back slightly when Hawkins, Selwood, Smith, Danger all finish up over the next few years. They won’t plummet, it’ll be more like they become a 5-8 side while they replenish their top end talent (which they will!). We need to be ready to fill the void when it happens.

Well said comrade. Except the hand wringing. I'm doing it!

They had a ridiculously easy draw this season too for a top 4 side not sure how that works.
Kardinia also let's them manage players without too much worry of a loss.

The bulldog tragician
26-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Their resilience is under appreciated. Five prelims without a flag but they continued to stay their course, including after last years humiliation which could have broken their spirit as I think it did break ours. It’s funny how we think finals failures are uniquely Bulldogs - that record and the manner of some of those losses where it did seem their top 4 positions were overly flattering could have killed their self belief. I don’t like them but their leaders have great competitive spirit and drive and Scott also shows an ability to adapt. His comments post GF were interesting - they absolutely did doubt and question their strategies at times which is a healthy thing to do.

comrade
26-09-2022, 10:14 AM
Their resilience is under appreciated. Five prelims without a flag but they continued to stay their course, including after last years humiliation which could have broken their spirit as I think it did break ours. It’s funny how we think finals failures are uniquely Bulldogs - that record and the manner of some of those losses where it did seem their top 4 positions were overly flattering could have killed their self belief. I don’t like them but their leaders have great competitive spirit and drive and Scott also shows an ability to adapt. His comments post GF were interesting - they absolutely did doubt and question their strategies at times which is a healthy thing to do.

My respect levels for everyone at Geelong have increased quite a bit after this win. I know they have inherent advantages as a club that others don’t, but they also don’t just give out flags and we all know how hard they are to win. As you say, they’ve faced set backs and doubters and stayed the course. I have my fingers crossed we are on a similar path but my head tells me we’re not and it’s time to revamp things completely. We’re nothing like Geelong (on and off the field).

We should be taking cues from that they’ve done the last 10 years and make adjustments based on our own characteristics.

jazzadogs
26-09-2022, 10:57 AM
The impact of Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs for experience and leadership, then adding in Smith and Dangerfield, can't be understated. A young guy coming in, with them as their on field leaders, is set up for success.

I might be undersellig Brad Close, but I see him and Laith as similar players - but Close is set up to succeed with a clear role, and the guys around him playing their role clearly as well.

Also re: recruiting there is no way that we can match that. Their two biggest recruits in Danger and Jezza made choices entirely on geography. They have had another two first round draft picks nominate them this year, in Bruhn and Ollie Henry.

Hopefully the loss of their on-field leaders impacts them more than the loss of talent, when those old guys retire.

EasternWest
26-09-2022, 03:51 PM
The impact of Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan, Tuohy, Blicavs for experience and leadership, then adding in Smith and Dangerfield, can't be understated. A young guy coming in, with them as their on field leaders, is set up for success.

I might be undersellig Brad Close, but I see him and Laith as similar players - but Close is set up to succeed with a clear role, and the guys around him playing their role clearly as well.

Also re: recruiting there is no way that we can match that. Their two biggest recruits in Danger and Jezza made choices entirely on geography. They have had another two first round draft picks nominate them this year, in Bruhn and Ollie Henry.

Hopefully the loss of their on-field leaders impacts them more than the loss of talent, when those old guys retire.

You're definitely underselling Close.

jazzadogs
26-09-2022, 04:50 PM
You're definitely underselling Close.

Or overselling Laith...

EasternWest
26-09-2022, 04:55 PM
Or overselling Laith...

Why not both?

Swoop
28-09-2022, 12:12 PM
1pm press conference expecting Selwood to announce his retirement.

chef
28-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Not a player I ever liked but what a warrior Selwood was. Second to none in terms of leadership.

bornadog
28-09-2022, 12:33 PM
Never liked him one bit.

This summed him up for me - dirty snipper:

Joel Selwood avoids suspension for pair of ugly incidents in Geelong's win over Western Bulldogs (https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/joel-selwood-fined-after-pair-of-controversial-incidents-geelong-vs-western-bulldogs/5f920776-4e99-48da-8066-dc6f098a6177)

Geelong captain Joel Selwood has avoided a suspension for a pair of controversial incidents in the Cats' win over the Bulldogs, instead fined by the AFL.

After playing a heroic role in the final foray forward before Gary Rohan's game-winning goal, footage emerged of Selwood's involvement in two ugly acts during the contest.

The first occurred in the opening quarter when he could be seen punching Dogs defender Bailey Dale in the head while Dale was on the ground in a congested situation, before seemingly also eye-gouging.

However, he was cleared by the AFL, with the incident assessed as "misconduct" from Match Review Officer, Michael Christian, with Selwood given a $1000 fine with an early plea.

Joel Selwood's hand seen going at Bailey Dale's head while the Bulldogs defender was on the ground (Nine)
Footage of another questionable act from Selwood in the fourth quarter also emerged, where he could be seen stepping on Bulldogs defender Taylor Duryea's leg, leaving blood streaming down Duryea's leg.

The incident was assessed as "careless conduct, low impact (and) body contact" and Selwood was given a $2000 fine with an early plea.

Fans were left unimpressed with the MRO's decision to let Selwood escape without a ban, especially after the controversy surrounding Crows defender David McKay's tribunal case during the week.

https://imageresizer.static9.net.au/RGWNgartVcu8zgs0ghbFjeWsXY4=/1440x0/https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F13c2844a-1e60-425d-9c74-65944e054eb0

Also his constant whinging to the umpires for frees. Really spoilt his career as he is a good player.

Grantysghost
28-09-2022, 12:34 PM
One of the great mongrels.

Good riddance.

Average player too.

EasternWest
28-09-2022, 12:58 PM
One of the great mongrels.

Good riddance.

Average player too.

lol.

jazzadogs
28-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Not a player I ever liked but what a warrior Selwood was. Second to none in terms of leadership.

Yeh this pretty much summed up my feelings. There were things I didn't like about him on field, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for his leadership and off field work - Geelong FC is a much better club for having him involved for the last 15 years. You would love to play alongside him.

His first quarter in the grand final was exceptional.

whythelongface
28-09-2022, 01:35 PM
Yeh this pretty much summed up my feelings. There were things I didn't like about him on field, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for his leadership and off field work - Geelong FC is a much better club for having him involved for the last 15 years. You would love to play alongside him.

His first quarter in the grand final was exceptional.

Agree. Don’t like him one bit but gee would love someone like him in our team. Leads from the front.

Grantysghost
28-09-2022, 01:57 PM
lol.

He he.

His last act of mongrel ism was to kick off Clayton Oliver's hand and break it.

I'm ok with that one ;)

If I'm being serious of course I'd love him at the Dogs. Still a mongrel!

SonofScray
28-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Covered himself in glory in his final game, credit to him.

Also was a POS that ruined the game by making it impossible to fairly adjudicate.

Axe Man
28-09-2022, 05:44 PM
Depressing Selwood fact:

Joel Selwood finals wins = 22

Footscray/Western Bulldogs finals wins = 21

angelopetraglia
28-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Depressing Selwood fact:

F$%# some things are not worth sharing :)

GVGjr
28-09-2022, 06:49 PM
Depressing Selwood fact:

He's had a blessed run and I kept hearing over his journey how much he did for the culture at the club.
I get why some people won't like him or rate him but it's been a hell of a career and he should be proud of it.

angelopetraglia
29-09-2022, 09:57 AM
He's had a blessed run and I kept hearing over his journey how much he did for the culture at the club.
I get why some people won't like him or rate him but it's been a hell of a career and he should be proud of it.

He has been unbelievable. But he didn't create the successful culture at the club. They literally won the GF by 119 points in his FIRST YEAR in one of the best teams that I have ever seen.

We often confuse skill and luck. Taleb wrote an excellent book about it Fooled By Randomness https://www.booktopia.com.au/fooled-by-randomness-nassim-nicholas-taleb/book/9780141031484.html?source=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw4c-ZBhAEEiwAZ105RZcI7_ChD8kat_0gO3GC2vhFw3AwFo0jEUZtkFoMeat-lOlYC5jt5RoCBKMQAvD_BwE

Topdog
29-09-2022, 04:09 PM
He has been unbelievable. But he didn't create the successful culture at the club. They literally won the GF by 119 points in his FIRST YEAR in one of the best teams that I have ever seen.

We often confuse skill and luck. Taleb wrote an excellent book about it Fooled By Randomness https://www.booktopia.com.au/fooled-by-randomness-nassim-nicholas-taleb/book/9780141031484.html?source=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjw4c-ZBhAEEiwAZ105RZcI7_ChD8kat_0gO3GC2vhFw3AwFo0jEUZtkFoMeat-lOlYC5jt5RoCBKMQAvD_BwE

But he absolutely was instrumental in keeping it going.

We lost a few leaders since 2016 and it really does show.

jeemak
29-09-2022, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure if it's an empty platitudes thing, though it's often said he immediately helped change the culture the day he arrived at the club, expecting the highest standards of everyone.

GVGjr
29-09-2022, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure if it's an empty platitudes thing, though it's often said he immediately helped change the culture the day he arrived at the club, expecting the highest standards of everyone.

They've been beating that drum for many years. A mate who supports Geelong mentioned years back what happened with Stringer, Dahlhaus and co with us in 2017 wouldn't have happened with Selwood in charge. Thought he was he just overstating how strong their leadership group was at the time.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2022, 09:15 AM
Look, inflation, interest rates and unemployment are going up. Regional projects got gutted too. There’s hard times ahead and will all have to accept some pain ahead. But on the other hand the Kardina Park redevelop is full steam ahead and the Geelong Football/Netball League is getting a huge new government cash handout. Plus:

Federal budget - what's in it for Geelong

$3.25 million to upgrade the Leopold Sports Precinct
$750,000 for improved lighting and female change rooms for the Ocean Grove Football Club
$600,000 for Stage 1 of the Portarlington Reserve Masterplan
$600,000 to upgrade the Grinter Reserve netball courts
$350,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Football Netball Club
$340,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Female Friendly Netball Pavilion
$160,000 to upgrade the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve
$700,000 to help fund the Inverleigh Active Youth Space
$700,000 to upgrade the Torquay Tigers Football and Cricket Club Spring Creek pavilion
$1.2 million to upgrade facilities at Barwon Heads Football Netball Club
$1.6 million for women’s change rooms and a new pavilion at South Barwon Reserve
* Might be more, these are just the notable Geelong footy/netball projects being funded as psds of $180M being splashed there

All sides of politics do it, this absolutely isn’t a partisan observation. But government spending in the Geelong region football never seems to go backwards irrespective of the party in power, or the economic conditions of the day. Must be great to be involved with footy if you live in Geelong. You can always bank on the rivers of cash flowing no matter the circumstances.

Any insight Sedat?

hujsh
26-10-2022, 10:23 AM
https://i.ibb.co/R0P3HM6/Geelong.png

Sedat
26-10-2022, 10:48 AM
Look, inflation, interest rates and unemployment are going up. Regional projects got gutted too. There’s hard times ahead and will all have to accept some pain ahead. But on the other hand the Kardina Park redevelop is full steam ahead and the Geelong Football/Netball League is getting a huge new government cash handout. Plus:

Federal budget - what's in it for Geelong

$3.25 million to upgrade the Leopold Sports Precinct
$750,000 for improved lighting and female change rooms for the Ocean Grove Football Club
$600,000 for Stage 1 of the Portarlington Reserve Masterplan
$600,000 to upgrade the Grinter Reserve netball courts
$350,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Football Netball Club
$340,000 to upgrade the Bannockburn Female Friendly Netball Pavilion
$160,000 to upgrade the Queenscliff Recreation Reserve
$700,000 to help fund the Inverleigh Active Youth Space
$700,000 to upgrade the Torquay Tigers Football and Cricket Club Spring Creek pavilion
$1.2 million to upgrade facilities at Barwon Heads Football Netball Club
$1.6 million for women’s change rooms and a new pavilion at South Barwon Reserve
* Might be more, these are just the notable Geelong footy/netball projects being funded as psds of $180M being splashed there

All sides of politics do it, this absolutely isn’t a partisan observation. But government spending in the Geelong region football never seems to go backwards irrespective of the party in power, or the economic conditions of the day. Must be great to be involved with footy if you live in Geelong. You can always bank on the rivers of cash flowing no matter the circumstances.

Any insight Sedat?
Insert Terry Wallace "I'll spew up" emoticon here.

It is not a surprise. Corangamite is a highly marginal electorate that is almost always in play for both major parties at virtually every federal election. So they will constantly throw themselves at the mercy of the residents of Greater Geelong to buy power. So it was, so it is, and so it will always be.

All politicians of all colours and from all sides are self-serving grubs, it's simply what they are and what they do. There's no point getting angry about it, and especially no point preferencing one party/individual over others in everyday life (by law, we reluctantly "have" to preference them at elections) - they are all fundamentally mediocre, untalented, awful people, and completely disconnected from the vast majority of the people they are supposed to represent and serve. They have absolutely no principles, and think nothing of changing entire long-held values and beliefs in order to cynically to remain in power and feast off the largesse of the taxpayer. Each to their own, but I really don't understand how some people are so passionatly invested in Team X or Team Y or specific individuals in the political class. Not one politician (state, federal, local, major party or minor party affiliated, or "independent") ever suffers personal consequences from the (almost always) ill-informed decisions they make and impose on the people they are supposed to serve - you only need to look at the last 2.5 years to see the destruction they have caused to millions of people while they continue to shamelessly reward themselves (let alone stop and pause to reflect that maybe they could have shared in some of the pain they inflicted).

Anyway, I heard an unfounded rumour that Geelong actually won the premiership this year? I didn't see anything on the Greek islands about this and by the time I got back to Australia it was Brand Dunks and his fajita recipes hogging the limelight.

The Underdog
26-10-2022, 12:27 PM
Insert Terry Wallace "I'll spew up" emoticon here.

It is not a surprise. Corangamite is a highly marginal electorate that is almost always in play for both major parties at virtually every federal election. So they will constantly throw themselves at the mercy of the residents of Greater Geelong to buy power. So it was, so it is, and so it will always be.

All politicians of all colours and from all sides are self-serving grubs, it's simply what they are and what they do. There's no point getting angry about it, and especially no point preferencing one party/individual over others in everyday life (by law, we reluctantly "have" to preference them at elections) - they are all fundamentally mediocre, untalented, awful people, and completely disconnected from the vast majority of the people they are supposed to represent and serve. They have absolutely no principles, and think nothing of changing entire long-held values and beliefs in order to cynically to remain in power and feast off the largesse of the taxpayer. Each to their own, but I really don't understand how some people are so passionatly invested in Team X or Team Y or specific individuals in the political class. Not one politician (state, federal, local, major party or minor party affiliated, or "independent") ever suffers personal consequences from the (almost always) ill-informed decisions they make and impose on the people they are supposed to serve - you only need to look at the last 2.5 years to see the destruction they have caused to millions of people while they continue to shamelessly reward themselves (let alone stop and pause to reflect that maybe they could have shared in some of the pain they inflicted).

Anyway, I heard an unfounded rumour that Geelong actually won the premiership this year? I didn't see anything on the Greek islands about this and by the time I got back to Australia it was Brand Dunks and his fajita recipes hogging the limelight.

Jesus, that's some bleak shit right there...I'm going to adhere to the board's general don't get political stance, but if you want to form an anarchist collective, DM me boo.

Sedat
26-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Jesus, that's some bleak shit right there...I'm going to adhere to the board's general don't get political stance, but if you want to form an anarchist collective, DM me boo.
The Geelong premiership bit was the bleakest part, closely followed by Dunkley's rubbish fajita recipe :D

The Underdog
26-10-2022, 01:00 PM
The Geelong premiership bit was the bleakest part, closely followed by Dunkley's rubbish fajita recipe :D

You know Dunkley's fajitas are bland with some weak sauce

EasternWest
26-10-2022, 01:02 PM
Yes Sedat. Yes. Give it to me.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2022, 01:05 PM
Yes Sedat. Yes. Give it to me.

The force is strong with this one.

The Underdog
26-10-2022, 01:40 PM
The force is strong with this one.

Give in to the dark side….

hujsh
26-10-2022, 02:21 PM

https://media.tenor.com/7EttrztgjiAAAAAC/palpatine-star-wars.gif

bulldogtragic
26-10-2022, 02:25 PM

If Senator Palpatine wants to join our senate to stop this apparently 'acceptable ongoing pork barreling'. Then i'm voting #1 Sith straight down the ticket.

The Underdog
26-10-2022, 06:52 PM
If Senator Palpatine wants to join our senate to stop this apparently 'acceptable ongoing pork barreling'. Then i'm voting #1 Sith straight down the ticket.

To be honest I’m pretty anti public money going to professional sporting organisations regardless of who it is, acknowledging that the Dogs have benefited over the years, but Geelong certainly seem to have a funnel straight from government coffers.

GVGjr
11-01-2024, 09:05 PM
Handing this over to Sedat for his views.

Geelong Football Club received ‘rental abatement’ following delayed building works to the Joel Selwood Stand (https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/geelong-football-club-received-rental-abatement-following-delayed-building-works-to-the-joel-selwood-stand/news-story/e988ac78a75880f03ff7ab006532beaa)

The state government provided the Geelong Football Club with rental relief amid delayed building works on the new Joel Selwood Stand, but it won’t reveal how much, citing “commercial-in-confidence”.

The latest annual report from the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, which manages the venue on behalf of the government, revealed it received just $34,000 in lease income last financial year.

This is a significant fall from the $283,000 it received in the previous period.

“Due to capital works being undertaken at the stadium impacting the lease contract for the GFC, a rental abatement agreement was enacted from late August 2021,” the documents state.

Rental abatement is defined as an agreement between the landlord and the tenant which provides a period of free rent.

The Cats are the stadium’s key tenant.

Works began on the stand in September, 2021 and it was due to be completed by June last year.

It is now expected to be open in time for Round 1 this season.

President Craig Drummond told members at the club’s annual general meeting just before Christmas the delay had cost the Cats the ability to capitalise on its 2022 premiership success.

The government, Kardinia Park Stadium Trust and the Cats would not reveal the exact figure of compensation for commercial-in-confidence reasons.

In Geelong’s most recent financial statement to October 30, 2023 its “revenue from other activities” increased by 162 per cent, from $963,000 to $2.5m.

However, the trust’s past two annual reports revealed the Cats received “rental abatement” from the government in relation to the stage five works on the Joel Selwood Stand.

“The trust is grateful for the ongoing operational funding support from the State Government which included funding for the rental abatement granted to the Geelong Football Club for the redevelopment works currently in progress,” the 21-22 report revealed.

The trust – which contributed an unspecified amount of funding towards the Cats’ overall compensation – finished with net deficit of $969,000 for the financial year ending June 30.

Both the government and trust say the 21-22 abatement figure was related to Covid rent relief while the 22-23 figure would remain secret due to commercial-in-confidence.

Grantysghost
11-01-2024, 09:30 PM
So we are saying the government paid the Cats ~1.5 mill in compensation because their stand, that they didn't pay for was late.
Woweeeee.
I don't know any facts, so I'm just going to get angry and say I hate the Cats more now.

jazzadogs
11-01-2024, 11:41 PM
Sedat Stadium f***ing over all the hard working taxpayers every minute of every day. Stupid shitty pork barrel, barrel shaped with no wings, regional hick town stadium.

Or something like that....

Axe Man
12-01-2024, 11:34 AM
That's what they get for using dodgy Chinese steel.

Sedat
12-01-2024, 12:00 PM
That's what they get for using dodgy Chinese steel.
Why would the pollies care? The taxpayer is going to fund everything anyway, which is why every single project of theirs ends up being several years and billions of $$ over budget (that's a deliberate design feature of modern public infrastructure spending and not a bug). Today's pollies have shown time and again that they care infinitely more about the people and the economy of China than they do their own citizens, whom they genuinely despise. This embarrassing pissant project is just another example.

The modern day politician is nothing more than a brazen criminal.

Grantysghost
12-01-2024, 12:22 PM
Why would the pollies care? The taxpayer is going to fund everything anyway, which is why every single project of theirs ends up being several years and billions of $$ over budget (that's a deliberate design feature of modern public infrastructure spending and not a bug). Today's pollies have shown time and again that they care infinitely more about the people and the economy of China than they do their own citizens, whom they genuinely despise. This embarrassing pissant project is just another example.

The modern day politician is nothing more than a brazen criminal.
BREAKING WOOF EXCLUSIVE : I've just driven passed GMHBA and the scenes down there are chaotic! Sedat this you?

https://i.postimg.cc/W3kv3bPY/OIG-x-QUTNk-XAy-VRh-W3-CMcrg8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5YbGKJy8)

MrMahatma
12-01-2024, 01:39 PM
BREAKING WOOF EXCLUSIVE : I've just driven passed GMHBA and the scenes down there are chaotic! Sedat this you?

https://i.postimg.cc/W3kv3bPY/OIG-x-QUTNk-XAy-VRh-W3-CMcrg8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5YbGKJy8)

Why are a bunch of Man City fans protesting in Geelong!?

Grantysghost
12-01-2024, 01:42 PM
Why are a bunch of Man City fans protesting in Geelong!?
Must be Sedat's mates?

Sedat
12-01-2024, 02:54 PM
Must be Sedat's mates?
I was a Wimbledon fan until they went under. Could not get enough of the Crazy Gang in their heyday - they were the EPL equivalent of the Wog Squad and just as nasty.

bornadog
12-01-2024, 03:46 PM
I was a Wimbledon fan until they went under. Could not get enough of the Crazy Gang in their heyday - they were the EPL equivalent of the Wog Squad and just as nasty.

Do you follow anyone these days??

jazzadogs
14-01-2024, 12:31 AM

I went to an AFC Wimbledon match when I was living in London, was intrigued by their history. Lots of people who supported the 'old' Wimbledon at the new club now.

Sedat
15-01-2024, 10:12 AM
Do you follow anyone these days??
I keep an eye on results for both MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon (Wimbledon effectively split into 2 teams after they went under, but the original rusted-on fans support AFC and want nothing to do with MK) but with both being in League 2 they are not exactly flying. MK Dons managed to get into the Championship a few years ago but went straight back down to League 1 and have been relegated again since then.

I've always been a big Ange fan since his playing days with South Melbourne (even though I'm a Heidelberg United fan from the old NSL days - I've always been a contrarian) so I've gravitated to Spurs this season. I really hope he brings some silverware to White Hart Lane (as a diehard Gunners fan, I know you don't share the same sentiment :D)

ledge
15-01-2024, 01:24 PM
To be honest I’m pretty anti public money going to professional sporting organisations regardless of who it is, acknowledging that the Dogs have benefited over the years, but Geelong certainly seem to have a funnel straight from government coffers.

Geelong is a world tourist destination as far as being the start of the great ocean road, the government won’t want a shit hole at the start of it. They want Geelong looking good and being up to date with everything.
Footscray only brings old working class suburbia, not something that brings millions to the coffers.
Universitys for us . Tourist money for them.

Axe Man
15-01-2024, 01:50 PM
Geelong is a world tourist destination as far as being the start of the great ocean road, the government won’t want a shit hole at the start of it. They want Geelong looking good and being up to date with everything.
Footscray only brings old working class suburbia, not something that brings millions to the coffers.

There is a convenient bypass around Geelong for those heading to the Great Ocean Road these days. ;)

Sedat
15-01-2024, 02:18 PM
Geelong is a world tourist destination as far as being the start of the great ocean road, the government won?t want a shit hole at the start of it. They want Geelong looking good and being up to date with everything.
Corangamite is one of the most marginal federal electorates in the country (and also one of the fastest growing). That's what these upgrades are all about.

Yes, I know Shithole Park is technically located in the rusted-on Labor electorate of Corio but it is right on the border of Congaramite, which expands all over the Surf Coast and extends as far as Colac. It's a massive electorate, and the many upgrades to that pissant tinshed shithole have bought an awful lot of votes over the years.

Dry Rot
24-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Premiership Cat Steve Johnson expected to recover fully after ‘freak accident’ left him with life-threatening injury

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2024-steve-johnson-lucky-to-be-alive-after-freak-knife-accident-left-him-with-lifethreatening-injury/news-story/74e55b15fbe3335d740b0bd331fdc93a

ledge
24-01-2024, 12:14 AM
Premiership Cat Steve Johnson expected to recover fully after ‘freak accident’ left him with life-threatening injury

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2024-steve-johnson-lucky-to-be-alive-after-freak-knife-accident-left-him-with-lifethreatening-injury/news-story/74e55b15fbe3335d740b0bd331fdc93a

I remember slicing my hand once doing the dishes , sharp knife in the soapy water.
Things can happen , glad to see he is ok, funny character.

chef
24-01-2024, 06:31 AM

Maybe its me, but that sounds a bit suss.

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 08:53 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/rFGyx1JD/4hmlzd.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 08:59 AM

Geez you're cynical Chef.

I nearly got stabbed myself critically through a bag whilst carrying a sharp knife around outside by a gate just yesterday.
Luckily I was asleep at the time.

bornadog
24-01-2024, 09:50 AM

Very strange. Maybe he tripped and fell on the bag???

Twodogs
24-01-2024, 11:37 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/rFGyx1JD/4hmlzd.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I can see why Tom Gleeson went the bald look.

Twodogs
24-01-2024, 11:45 AM

I can believe it. It's exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me. I've dislocated my shoulder rolling over in bed, broken my nose taking the doonah off and fallen off a railway platform after kicking myself in the testicles trying to impress a girl.

Axe Man
24-01-2024, 12:19 PM
I can believe it. It's exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me. I've dislocated my shoulder rolling over in bed, broken my nose taking the doonah off and fallen off a railway platform after kicking myself in the testicles trying to impress a girl.

Did it work?

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 12:27 PM

Haaa - ok that last one needs a thread of it's own TD!! :D

Grantysghost
24-01-2024, 12:28 PM
Did it work?

Haa - ok I mega lolzed in an important meeting I really shouldn't be reading this.

ledge
24-01-2024, 01:49 PM

I want to know how you kick yourself in the testicles and how did you think it would impress a woman .

Twodogs
24-01-2024, 06:21 PM
Did it work?

It did.

I want to know how you kick yourself in the testicles and how did you think it would impress a woman .

Same answer to both questions. Flexibility.

azabob
24-01-2024, 07:25 PM
Haaa - ok that last one needs a thread of it's own TD!! :D

TD just needs his own thread full stop.

Bulldog Joe
24-01-2024, 08:08 PM

Some things are impossible for mere mortals but Twodogs operates on a different ethereal plane

jeemak
31-01-2024, 04:30 AM
Same answer to both questions. Flexibility.

Seems kind of obvious once it's out there.

Mofra
31-01-2024, 01:07 PM
It did.
Cool, I've got a date tonight.
Can I pop around and kick you in the testicles?

Twodogs
31-01-2024, 07:04 PM
Cool, I've got a date tonight.
Can I pop around and kick you in the testicles?

I guess so.

The sacrifices I make for you guys...

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Sedat! Saw this and thought of you.

https://i.postimg.cc/3NB3pc23/Screenshot-20240310-160919.png (https://postimg.cc/jnDVYv81)

bornadog
10-03-2024, 05:35 PM

To bad about those wings and narrow ground - big mistake

jeemak
10-03-2024, 05:52 PM
You should check out the shithole using the satellite feature on Google Maps.

Grantysghost
10-03-2024, 06:04 PM
To bad about those wings and narrow ground - big mistake
That stand on the left wing is basically straight.

bornadog
10-03-2024, 06:12 PM
You should check out the shithole using the satellite feature on Google Maps.

That view does show the straight stand

That stand on the left wing is basically straight.

ledge
10-03-2024, 06:58 PM
The have used that ground since the start of time, you would think at some stage during all the renovating over the years they would have made it into an oval .

Mitcha
13-03-2024, 12:53 PM
Have a mate that has toured the new Selwood stand. The feedback was that the roof is not high enough and that everyone had to duck when entering.
C'mon, someone had to do it!!!

Sedat
13-03-2024, 02:22 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/3NB3pc23/Screenshot-20240310-160919.png (https://postimg.cc/jnDVYv81)
Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

You can't polish a turd.

josie
13-03-2024, 06:21 PM
Have a mate that has toured the new Selwood stand. The feedback was that the roof is not high enough and that everyone had to duck when entering.
C'mon, someone had to do it!!!

🦆 😁I laughed.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2024, 10:56 PM
Mitch Cleary

Patrick Dangerfield spent an extra 24hrs in Adelaide on the weekend, receiving treatment on his hamstring from SA-based Cats medico Steve Saunders.

He?ll miss at least Easter Monday (Hawks) + Gather Round (Dogs).
Confident it?s less serious than last year?s six-weeker

bornadog
09-04-2024, 11:31 AM
Geelong is looking at drafting Tarryn Thomas

read here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-geelong-cats-tipped-to-pursue-tarryn-thomas-future-at-north-melbourne-andrew-mackie-comments-reaction-latest-news/news-story/4f18110ddf470591448bccab4fb5dba5)

ledge
09-04-2024, 01:38 PM

read here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-geelong-cats-tipped-to-pursue-tarryn-thomas-future-at-north-melbourne-andrew-mackie-comments-reaction-latest-news/news-story/4f18110ddf470591448bccab4fb5dba5)

Wouldn’t surprise me, they are a good culture down there and he is out of the Melbourne bubble, get him for bugger all and if he comes good he is a huge plus, the fact is he has a whole year to prove himself and the club has a full year to see if he has changed and it’s not a gamble. Lose nothing if he stuffs up in the next year, gain heaps if he proves himself to it being behind him.

mighty_west
09-04-2024, 01:49 PM
Wouldn’t surprise me, they are a good culture down there and he is out of the Melbourne bubble, get him for bugger all and if he comes good he is a huge plus, the fact is he has a whole year to prove himself and the club has a full year to see if he has changed and it’s not a gamble. Lose nothing if he stuffs up in the next year, gain heaps if he proves himself to it being behind him.

Yep if one club could, they did well with Stengel.

chef
09-04-2024, 01:52 PM
Yeah i dunno, heaps to lose if he messes up again especially for the future victim.

If any club is serious about their womens team and supporter base they would not go anywhere near this human trash.

Grantysghost
09-04-2024, 02:10 PM

It's pretty vague that link - it was a jump made by AFL meeja after a conversation where Mackie said they look at cases on a individual basis.

Mofra
09-04-2024, 02:19 PM
Yep if one club could, they did well with Stengel.
I'd take someone who bought a baggie over someone that threw a lamp at a woman then was charged for online abuse / revenge stuff

TT is far more toxic.

Sedat
09-04-2024, 02:23 PM
It's pretty vague that link - it was a jump made by AFL meeja after a conversation where Mackie said they look at cases on a individual basis.
Can't wait to read all about the redemption arc and how wonderful Geelong are for giving recidivist abusers and predators yet another chance - maybe we can give another $100m to them in taxpayer funding so they an allocate 1% of that amount to their women's team and pocket the rest in more stadium upgrades

#CoAsTaLlIfEsTyLe

mighty_west
09-04-2024, 03:01 PM
I'd take someone who bought a baggie over someone that threw a lamp at a woman then was charged for online abuse / revenge stuff

TT is far more toxic.

FWIW, i wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, but if one club could.

josie
09-04-2024, 04:16 PM
Can't wait to read all about the redemption arc and how wonderful Geelong are for giving recidivist abusers and predators yet another chance - maybe we can give another $100m to them in taxpayer funding so they an allocate 1% of that amount to their women's team and pocket the rest in more stadium upgrades

#CoAsTaLlIfEsTyLe

Like this post. You?re in fine form Sedat.

ledge
09-04-2024, 04:43 PM

TT is far more toxic.

Without going to deep I was obsessed with a woman when I was around 22 (1984) she called off our relationship and we were engaged. I did some terrible things, she broke my heart, I ended up seeing a psychiatrist etc . Two years later I was a different person, sometimes I wonder if it was hormonal or something as I am not that type of person , actually came across her in 2015 on fb and we chatted I apologised (it haunted me all my life ) we caught up a few times and are now extremely good friends.

I believe you can change and be a better person.

bornadog
09-04-2024, 05:10 PM
Without going to deep I was obsessed with a woman when I was around 22 (1984) she called off our relationship and we were engaged. I did some terrible things, she broke my heart, I ended up seeing a psychiatrist etc . Two years later I was a different person, sometimes I wonder if it was hormonal or something as I am not that type of person , actually came across her in 2015 on fb and we chatted I apologised (it haunted me all my life ) we caught up a few times and are now extremely good friends.

I believe you can change and be a better person.

Good on you Ledge for turning things around. Agree, people can change and turnaround their lives.

Twodogs
09-04-2024, 10:15 PM
Yeah i dunno, heaps to lose if he messes up again especially for the future victim.

If any club is serious about their womens team and supporter base they would not go anywhere near this human trash.

Exactly. There's an old saying that goes "if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas" and I think that it applies here.

Grantysghost
08-05-2024, 11:01 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/6505tf01/IMG-20240508-090305-844.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

@sedat

bornadog
08-05-2024, 11:17 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/6505tf01/IMG-20240508-090305-844.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

@sedat

You Meany GG, triggering posters :D

1eyedog
08-05-2024, 11:43 AM
So happy my taxes are going to a completely unnecessary cause.

The club receives 4.1 million for the scoreboard and the money they save on that they spend on a large led advertising board facing Mooroobool St traffic on the back of the southern Reg Hickey stand.

Gotta love it.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2024, 11:48 AM
So happy my taxes are going to a completely unnecessary cause.

I was reading GP visits could rise by 30% in Victoria to cover taxes. So that’ll go straight to Kardinia Park. So you can go to doctors to pay more and feel sick about it.

Honestly, it’s getting crazy how much the major parties spend on this shithole when there’s there’s crisis’ in so many areas of society.

1eyedog
08-05-2024, 11:50 AM
I was reading GP visits could rise by 30% in Victoria to cover taxes. So that?ll go straight to Kardinia Park. So you can go to doctors to pay more and feel sick about it.

Honestly, it?s getting crazy how much the major parties spend on this shithole when there?s there?s crisis? in so many areas of society.

I note the next big events at Kardinia Park include 4 home games for Geelong through to August 2024.

A stadium for the people of Geelong (provided you love the Cats!)

bornadog
08-05-2024, 11:52 AM
I note the next big events at Kardinia Park include 4 home games for Geelong through to August 2024.

A stadium for the people of Geelong (provided you love the Cats!)

We can't talk with most of the Whitten Oval funding coming through Governments

ledge
08-05-2024, 11:55 AM

We became a university to save the Whitten oval precinct , extremely smart move, we just claim projects as university upgrades .

Sedat
08-05-2024, 11:59 AM
We haven't had 55 stages of redevelopment like they have had for their shithole, it's apples and oranges. Enough already, they've had $500m of pork-barrelling spent on Shithole Stadium for no other reason than greater Geelong is a marginal electorate and one of the fastest growth corridors for swinging voters.

Although I agree with your general premise that taxpayer expenditure on ''community'' projects are not properly costed and evaluated, and in this tough economic climate this largesse needs to be significantly reined in. We can't keep kicking the debt can down the road - you eventually run out of other people's money. If you can't afford to fix the potholes on the roads, build hospitals for desperate communities in growth areas and commit to mental health funding instead of slashing it to pieces, you can do without some shiny new training facilities for footy clubs IMO.

hujsh
08-05-2024, 11:59 AM
You can also do stuff at Whitten Oval IIRC. Like in the facilities just not on the oval

1eyedog
08-05-2024, 12:00 PM

C'mon BAD we received 15m in Federal funding. Over the past 10 years Geelong have received 340m in Government funding, and now an additional 4.1m for a scoreboard. The State Government has thrown in the most (260m). Now they get a scoreboard upgrade which will cost almost a third of our total development.

It's not for the people.

They're taking the piss.

bornadog
08-05-2024, 12:12 PM
C'mon BAD we received 15m in Federal funding. Over the past 10 years Geelong have received 340m in Government funding, and now an additional 4.1m for a scoreboard. The State Government has thrown in the most (260m). Now they get a scoreboard upgrade which will cost almost a third of our total development.

It's not for the people.

They're taking the piss.

Not exactly $15m. Where do you think the majority of the $80 million came from?

Grantysghost
08-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Not exactly $15m. Where do you think the majority of the $80 million came from?

BAD this is the pick on Geelong thread :p

bornadog
08-05-2024, 12:18 PM
BAD this is the pick on Geelong thread :p

fair enough

soupman
11-05-2024, 01:35 PM
Gotta say I really enjoyed watching Geelong nearly win down there and then not. That stadium too often gets to go home happy.