PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Stefan Martin

bornadog
10-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Experienced ruckman Stefan Martin has joined the Western Bulldogs.

The 33-year-old joins the Bulldogs from the Brisbane Lions on a one-year deal, as part of a three-way trade with the Lions and North Melbourne.

Martin has played 190 games across his 13 seasons with the Lions and Melbourne, including eight games – and two finals – in 2020.

The durable big man had missed just four games across five seasons, prior to this year.

“Stef is an important acquisition for our football club and we’re delighted to have him on board,” General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, said.

“We wanted to bring in an experienced ruckman this off-season to bolster our squad and Stef certainly fits that description.

“He has been a very good player for a long period of time and we know what he will bring on the field.

“We’re also excited by the prospect of him working with our emerging ruckmen, Tim English and Jordon Sweet, to help them develop into the best players they can be.”

Martin joins the Kennel in exchange for emerging defender Lachie Young, who had requested a trade to the Kangaroos.

“Lachie has shown some promising signs over the past two seasons and we wish him all the best for the opportunity ahead of him at North Melbourne,” Power said.

Young and the Lions’ pick 70 move to the Kangaroos, with the Lions receiving pick 63 from the Kangaroos.
link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/834985/bulldogs-seal-deal-for-martin)

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Well, I hope MC meetings are live streamed in 2021 because I genuinely would love to hear them from week to week talk about things.

Welcome Stef.

All the best JT.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-11-2020, 06:53 PM
He will make a good reserves player just like Trengrove

jazzadogs
10-11-2020, 07:08 PM

Trengrove was brought across as a 26yo key defender. In the one game he did play this year he moved like a truck and showed no sign that he should have been given more games. Just because they were making a mistake with Bruce doesn't mean we should encourage more!

I like Martin at his best, but I'm not sure we will see it. It is certainly nice to see us address an area of need in some way though.

1eyedog
10-11-2020, 07:18 PM
Good stop gap. If we get 10 games out of him to play against Grundy / Gawn et al. he will be a useful acquisition. I never really rated La Young and I guess the MC didn't either. Martin has been brought in as a ruckman and has far greater ruck acumen than JT. I think this is a win/win.

Eastdog
10-11-2020, 07:25 PM
I like it. Welcome to the Dogs Stefan Martin. Will provide some experience for us in the ruck and help out the developing Tim English.

I’m still here just not too big on the trade threads but will comment In threads when we get or lose players. Great to see BT back :D

Rocket Science
10-11-2020, 07:56 PM
Yeh boi.

Those equating Trengove with Martin because 'big' need to look harder; Martin's twice the ruckman Trengove is on his best day.

We think of English as an extra mid in there once the ruck duel's dispensed with. Think of Martin in much the same way at ground level, he's fearless in and under and able to extract a la Huddo, who he's been schooled by up there no less.

This offers our mids, and the coach, a freedom to create we haven't really had since 2016 - and a plan B when English is getting bullied that doesn't involve sending a mid in to take over.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 08:11 PM

He will be a mentor to English - now that can only be a good thing

SquirrelGrip
10-11-2020, 08:21 PM
He will be a mentor to English - now that can only be a good thing

And to Sweet too, who is just as young.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 08:24 PM
And to Sweet too, who is just as young.

Yes of course, forgot him :o

EasternWest
10-11-2020, 09:49 PM
I'm happy enough with this.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2020, 10:16 PM
I wasn't a fan of us getting JT because I didn't rate him as a ruck or KPD, nor that we gave him 4 years on good coin.

Martin was far from my first choice, but given nobody else was available / Martin was cheap / it's a 1 year deal, I can live with it.

Hope he goes well.

FrediKanoute
10-11-2020, 10:31 PM
This must now spell the end for JT at the Bulldogs?

Go_Dogs
10-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Don’t mind this move.

He won’t play every week, will support our young guys and probably means we get to see more of English forward which I’m actually a big fan of. Has a lot of potential there - can lead at the ball well.

bornadog
10-11-2020, 10:54 PM
I wasn't a fan of us getting JT because I didn't rate him as a ruck or KPD, nor that we gave him 4 years on good coin.

Martin was far from my first choice, but given nobody else was available / Martin was cheap / it's a 1 year deal, I can live with it.

Hope he goes well.

JT was three years

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2020, 11:04 PM
JT was three years

I thought 4 years had gone fast.

Not that fast as it turns out ;)

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 11:06 PM
JT was three years

A million dollars too, so on average abut $330,000 a season. Unfortunately we didn't get a huge ROI, but you'd think that salary being freed up and Martin being cheap helps the TPP if only a small amount.

EasternWest
10-11-2020, 11:07 PM
A million dollars too, so on average abut $330,000 a season. Unfortunately we didn't get a huge ROI, but you'd think that salary being freed up and Martin being cheap helps the TPP if only a small amount.

I heard all ruckmen are on 700k so maybe not that cheap.

Vred
10-11-2020, 11:50 PM
Honestly if we get one season out of him and the mentor that English and Sweet need, this is a huge win for the club, specially if he can go up against the big boys and help English out.

Also means we can play a traditional strategy and not send a fwd to the mid every ruck contest so our fwd line isn't always out numbered, they might actually stand a chance for once.

*!*!*!*!ing good.

bulldogtragic
10-11-2020, 11:56 PM
Overly simplified, if it was JT or Martin for one or two years as the other main ruck option, I think we’ve improved the list somewhat.

Harris Andrews tweet about him today shows we are bringing in another mature leader, which is a plus.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 12:33 AM
Overly simplified, if it was JT or Martin for one or two years as the other main ruck option, I think we’ve improved the list somewhat.

Harris Andrews tweet about him today shows we are bringing in another mature leader, which is a plus.

and a smart guy who has a double degree in law and science from melbourne Uni

Mofra
11-11-2020, 10:03 AM
Honestly if we get one season out of him and the mentor that English and Sweet need, this is a huge win for the club, specially if he can go up against the big boys and help English out.

Also means we can play a traditional strategy and not send a fwd to the mid every ruck contest so our fwd line isn't always out numbered, they might actually stand a chance for once.

*!*!*!*!ing good.
A genuine ruck coach with no impact on out soft cap is available commodity that is a bonus too.
I don't expect Stef to play every game, it may even be a Ben Hudson to Collingwood/Brisbane type scenario.

How much do we have to raise in a GoFundMe to get Stef to grow a beard?

SquirrelGrip
11-11-2020, 10:42 AM
and a smart guy who has a double degree in law and science from melbourne Uni

Was the last lawyer we had play with us Sam Power?

bornadog
11-11-2020, 10:44 AM

Not sure on that.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Stef on SEN - listen here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=756504)

Mofra
11-11-2020, 11:19 AM
I'd rather the lawyers playing for us than chasing us (hi Collingwood)

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2020, 11:54 AM

Pretty impressive interview.

Sounds like a ripper leader.

Ozza
11-11-2020, 11:55 AM
Well so far we've gotten Hannan and Martin in. Neither will be guns, but we've given up very little to get them both - and both are targeted at specific weaknesses we had this season (Ruck, and forward pressure/forward craft).

Hard to be critical of a targeted strategy.

From here, if we get Treloar as a relative bargain - then great, if not and we hold on to Dunks - then I'm still happy enough to keep him.

comrade
11-11-2020, 12:00 PM
I'd rather Martin as player 38 on our list than someone like Brad Lynch, just for the off field benefits of having a dedicated, mature ruckman on the list to help develop English and Sweet.

Twodogs
11-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Peter Gordon.

SonofScray
11-11-2020, 01:25 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what a mature ruckman can bring to the squad, even if it is a cameo across one season. My gut feeling is that we've lacked some presence of this nature since the rule changes and flag.

All the best to Big Dog Stefan Martin, BDSM.

Happy Days
11-11-2020, 01:26 PM
All the best to Big Dog Stefan Martin, BDSM.

Christ.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 03:14 PM
New challenge to reinvigorate Martin (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/835113)New recruit Stefan Martin has a clear picture of what he wants to achieve at the Western Bulldogs.

The soon-to-be 34-year-old joined the Bulldogs in a trade on Tuesday from the Brisbane Lions, with 190 AFL games across 13 seasons at the top level under his belt.

Adding an experienced ruckman in the off-season had been a focus for the club.

And for Martin, that role appears a perfect fit.

“In a way, it’s going to be really reinvigorating to have this new challenge because I’ve got a whole new footy club to try to prove my worth to and repay the investment in,” Martin told SEN 1116 today.

“Coupled with my body coming good it’s just a perfect new start for me.

“I feel really good – I’ve said it all along, but I don’t feel like I’m (almost) 34.”

Martin’s 2020 campaign was interrupted by injury – he played just eight games, however he did feature in their two finals.

But over the five seasons prior to that, he played 108 of a possible 112 games.

“I would fully hope and plan to play 22 games,” Martin said, of his immediate ambitions for 2021

“It’ll be great to have a full pre-season because I didn’t get that last year and I think that will set me up for the resilience you need for 22 games.”

He’s already been exchanging messages with his new teammates, including emerging ruckman Tim English.

Martin is confident he has plenty to add on the field, but can also contribute strongly to the development of English and Jordon Sweet.

“It’s a good dynamic – (the role has) been described as two-pronged, the on-field and the off-field,” he said.

“(Tim’s) the ruck of the future but I also think he’s the ruck of the present and I don’t want to stifle his development at all, I want to do the exact opposite.

“I’m not coming to suppress his development at all, but I do have a lot to offer on-field I think, and that’s equally important to me.

“Over the last 13 years I’ve learned a tonne about what it takes to be a ruckman, the types of training habits you need to have and that sort of thing. I’d love to talk with Tim and Jordon Sweet about that.”

“Both elements are really critical. I don’t just want to come there and be a coach, I’m there to do a job on-field as well. But to have Tim come out a better player would be absolutely core to that goal.”

comrade
11-11-2020, 03:16 PM
“Over the last 13 years I’ve learned a tonne about what it takes to be a ruckman, the types of training habits you need to have and that sort of thing. I’d love to talk with Tim and Jordon Sweet about that.”

“Both elements are really critical. I don’t just want to come there and be a coach, I’m there to do a job on-field as well. But to have Tim come out a better player would be absolutely core to that goal.”

Gotta say, I love reading that.

SquirrelGrip
11-11-2020, 03:18 PM
I really think Stef could be the making of Jordon Sweet as well.

SonofScray
11-11-2020, 03:22 PM
Christ.

I feel like Christ is still The Bont. But we have been screaming for something like BDSM in our lives at the Kennel. Perhaps instead of a player badge he can have spiked dog collars in XXL with his number on them at the Bulldog Shop.

GVGjr
11-11-2020, 03:35 PM
There has been some comments around how Steven King should be able to mentor Tim English but I think Stef Martin has already shown that he can add something to the club and help English reach his potential

Rocket Science
11-11-2020, 03:53 PM
Worth remembering while he'll be 34 at season's start Stef logged relatively few miles across the first half of his career which no doubt helps with longevity and his ability to handle a heavy workload. His 2020 ailments weren't soft-tissue either which augurs well.

He's one of the handful of ruckmen who seems to know how to handle Grundy too, which'll be a refreshing change of pace.

comrade
11-11-2020, 03:54 PM
If SM can do his bit to help Timmy reach his full potential, and it's clear he knows that's part of the role he's signed up for, that will be massive for our fortunes over the next 5 years.

Grantysghost
11-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Stef was just on trade radio. He sounds super excited, and looking forward to the mentoring role. Says he is commited to playing every game. He struggled this year with a knee injury early and didn't get back to his best form.

Have to say I'm quite excited about what he can bring he certainly has a great attitude.

bornadog
11-11-2020, 04:53 PM
Martin, English 'can play in same side' in 2021 (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-live-day-six-20201110-p56dbb.html)

New Bulldog Stefan Martin says he learnt in his exit interview with the Lions that the club would be going with a one-ruck structure going forward, prompting his move away from the club.

He told Trade Radio the Lions said his role would be changing, and the rest was history.

He said he didn't think he had played at his best in 2020 but he and young Bulldogs ruckman Tim English had skill sets that meant they could play together in the same side going forward.

"We probably both intend to send some good time on-ball," he said, but wasn't able to say how much time he and English would spend playing forward. He said it was likely that would be worked out on the fly.

He joked the Lions had better not win a premiership without him, now that he'd moved. But he said he was thrilled to move to the Bulldogs.

Smads57
11-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Just listened to Martin on Bulldogs website - very happy with selection - super impressive, not just for Tim but Jordan Sweet as well.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2020, 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHPQMiQHzg
Highlights
Takes a good grab and more mobile than I thought at first.
Good kicking action. Turn down the music....weird.

jeemak
11-11-2020, 09:13 PM

I thought he said absolutely everything right, it was exactly what I wanted to hear.

azabob
11-11-2020, 10:47 PM
I thought he said absolutely everything right, it was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Yep. You can tell he’s a good guy that gets things - His Instagram profile pic is of him in the old Fitzroy jumper in a Brisbane away game.

He will fit in well down at the Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
11-11-2020, 11:33 PM
Have we ever recruited a player who has played 190 games before?

Twodogs
11-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Actually I have a memory of the cheer squad putting up a banner for a player playing his first game with us for a milestone. Bruce Duperouzel maybe? 200th game?

Sedat
11-11-2020, 11:38 PM
Travis Cloke springs to mind right away. Nicky Winmar another one.

Rocket Science
11-11-2020, 11:48 PM

Big Barry Hall had a lazy 250 under the belt by the time he pulled on our colours.

Grantysghost
11-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Did Phil Krakouer have a few miles on the clock?

Edit : 141 for NM, 7 for Footscray.

1eyedog
12-11-2020, 12:11 AM
Osborne would be close

Twodogs
12-11-2020, 12:15 AM
Travis Cloke springs to mind right away. Nicky Winmar another one.

Cloke 246, Winmar 230 and Osborne 203 when they came according to AFLtables.

jazzadogs
12-11-2020, 12:18 AM
Aker had played 248 games for Brisbane

and Treloar has played 173.....

Twodogs
12-11-2020, 12:20 AM
Aker had played 248 games for Brisbane

and Treloar has played 173.....

I wonder if it's Aker's 250th I'm thinking of the banner for?

Axe Man
12-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Cloke 246, Winmar 230 and Osborne 203 when they came according to AFLtables.

Jed Adcock 206 and Bernard Toohey 223 a couple of others that played +200 before they crossed to the kennel.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Another great interview with him on the Dogs website.

It's a shame we didn't get him a few years ago.

Hope he can push out 2 years.

Twodogs
12-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Jed Adcock 206 and Bernard Toohey 223 a couple of others that played +200 before they crossed to the kennel.

I was a huge fan of Bernard Toohey. He was as hard as a cat's head.

1eyedog
12-11-2020, 12:28 PM

Yeah loved Toohey perfect footballer. Could play tall, good on the ground, tough and committed with a great mo.

Bulldog Joe
12-11-2020, 12:44 PM

I have always rated Toohey as one of the best players we ever got from another team.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Not sure on that.

Sam worked at a law firm.

GVGjr
12-11-2020, 01:05 PM
Another great interview with him on the Dogs website.

It's a shame we didn't get him a few years ago.

Hope he can push out 2 years.

I agree, getting him 3 years ago would have been ideal, I think he has the right attitude and approach and I particularly appreciate his genuine willingness to work with English and Sweet. We are picking up more than just a needs based player but someone who will also set some benchmarks at training and a bit of a part time ruck coach.

Bulldog4life
12-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Worth remembering while he'll be 34 at season's start Stef logged relatively few miles across the first half of his career which no doubt helps with longevity and his ability to handle a heavy workload. His 2020 ailments weren't soft-tissue either which augurs well.

He's one of the handful of ruckmen who seems to know how to handle Grundy too, which'll be a refreshing change of pace.

Yep first game ever when he was 19 so you would think another of couple of years are on the cards.

Bulldog Revolution
12-11-2020, 01:32 PM
Shows you at least we were wise to target him 3 years a go

Better late than ever - seems a ripping character

azabob
22-04-2022, 11:04 AM
Game 200 for the big fella this week.

bornadog
22-04-2022, 11:23 AM
All the best Stef in your 200th.

Has played ok in the past two games at VFL, getting lots of the ball.

Bulldog Revolution
22-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Congratulations Stef - hope you and the team have a great game

bornadog
22-04-2022, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyUfnA7bOCs&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

Happy Days
22-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Can’t help but notice we didn’t put one of these out before the round one game he was also “selected” for.