PDA

View Full Version : Naughton to Fullback, English Full forward

bornadog
12-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Well one failure of the trade period is we missed out on another Key back.

Time to change the team around. We can't go in with an undersized Cordy, Gardner is too inexperienced and Frankly not the man, Lew Young is still developing and unknown

As much as I hate it, Naughton should switch back to FB, English to play full forward and second ruck to Martin and Bruce and Schache can fight out CHF.

Sedat
12-11-2020, 09:18 PM
Also Bont 75% forward. With no Naughts we need some more dangerous players inside F50 - no offence to Bruce and Schache but they aren't going to have the opposition quaking in their boots. Macrae, Dunks, Smith, Libba and Treloar is a plenty deep midfield with occasional stints in there from Bont.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Also Bont 75% forward. With no Naughts we need some more dangerous players inside F50 - no offence to Bruce and Schache but they aren't going to have the opposition quaking in their boots. Macrae, Dunks, Smith, Libba and Treloar is a plenty deep midfield with occasional stints in there from Bont.

If JUH impresses, it allows him to slot into a forward pocket. Extra height, but not a main KPD. His closing speed is still better than anyone on the list to give us some nimbleness.

azabob
12-11-2020, 09:24 PM
Sedat, my initial reaction was no, Bont 90% midfield because he’s Bont.

Could he play the Martin role and just go where he wants?

bornadog
12-11-2020, 09:29 PM
If JUH impresses, it allows him to slot into a forward pocket. Extra height, but not a main KPD. His closing speed is still better than anyone on the list to give us some nimbleness.

Yes good point

Happy Days
12-11-2020, 09:30 PM
English to the forward line surely means no more Bruce right.

Sedat
12-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Sedat, my initial reaction was no, Bont 90% midfield because he’s Bont.

Could he play the Martin role and just go where he wants?

I'd be just as happy with that, although I suspect Dusty would spend 60% or even more of his time forward of centre

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:32 PM
Yes good point

I put up in the 2021 Round 1 side something like you as saying with Naughton in defence. A part from some leg speed, it looks a very solid set up:

Naughton, Keath, Young, Gardner
Bruce, Schache, English, JUH

Well balanced are different types of talls. And a very deeeeeep midfield.

jeemak
12-11-2020, 09:34 PM
Yep, I'm happy with Naughton in defence, and being a swing man as required.

azabob
12-11-2020, 09:36 PM
I'd be just as happy with that, although I suspect Dusty would spend 60% or even more of his time forward of centre

I’d be happy with Bont floating around forward of centre and attending centre bounces.

Surely it was no coincidence Richmond and Martin improved when Martin stopped getting touches defensive side of the centre

bulldogtragic
12-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Yep, I'm happy with Naughton in defence, and being a swing man as required.

That's the beauty isn't it? If Bruce or Schache is stinking it up, swing Naughton up front and work out a plan with Bruce/Schache and covering off defence. Or English back as a sweeper which he's adept at.

Also, I don't see him going to always punch the ball as a one dimensional dour defender either. His contested intercept marking in defence would be a great asset in setting up forward 50 transitions and hopefully scoring opportunities.

If we moved him on paper to defence. Does automatically become our number one KPD?

EasternWest
12-11-2020, 10:04 PM
English to the forward line surely means no more Bruce right.

I'm actually starting to think you're not keen on Bruce.

jeemak
12-11-2020, 10:04 PM
BTW, is this the first time in ~45,000 posts that BAD has changed his mind? :)

EasternWest
12-11-2020, 10:05 PM

I think he's thrown the 1 and is hoping to blindside us with the 2.

"Don't trust his lies".

GVGjr
12-11-2020, 10:08 PM

Long bow to draw

comrade
12-11-2020, 10:11 PM
I guess my arm could be twisted.

LostDoggy
12-11-2020, 10:37 PM
What’s the chances of Bevo trialling Bruce down back against the big forwards? He gets his hands to the ball but can’t catch so why not stick the big fist up?

I like the thought of Bont forward and roaming but with Naughtythere too.

mjp
12-11-2020, 10:38 PM
I guess my arm could be twisted.

I will never understand why anyone would think moving the most dynamic forward I have seen playing for Footscray in 35+ years into defence. I simply don't get it.

Stick your match-winners in the forward half. He's probably played < 30 senior games forward...and has had a couple when he has looked simply unstoppable. U-N-S-T-O-P-P-A-B-L-E.

Kick it to Aaron and get the hell out of the way should be the basis of our game plan.

SonofScray
12-11-2020, 10:46 PM
It is tempting, he is an asset where ever we put him.

English can spend some more time forward, but I think with Naughts we have a generational forward talent. Take care of business up the field and he will be incredibly damaging for a long time. Bruce is going to have to be in absolute sublime form to warrant a move I think. Or Schache, who has been harshly treated IMO.

comrade
12-11-2020, 10:47 PM
I will never understand why anyone would think moving the most dynamic forward I have seen playing for Footscray in 35+ years into defence. I simply don't get it.

Stick your match-winners in the forward half. He's probably played < 30 senior games forward...and has had a couple when he has looked simply unstoppable. U-N-S-T-O-P-P-A-B-L-E.

Kick it to Aaron and get the hell out of the way should be the basis of our game plan.

Because our defence is putrid.

bornadog
12-11-2020, 11:29 PM

Reluctantly yes. :D for discussion purposes, and to see what the backline should look like

Naughton is a super star in the making and we need him both ends.

Happy Days
12-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Naughton stays forward. I'm firmly of the opinion that if a guy can be an elite CHF then he should be one, just because he could also be an elite CHB.

jazzadogs
13-11-2020, 12:35 AM
We really need one of Cordy (24yo), Le Young (21yo), Gardner (23yo) or Trengrove (30yo, if he's around) to have a cracking pre season. Get as fit as they've ever been, work on their positioning and body work, and build muscle. Agility and acceleration should also be a focus for all of them. If one of them can do a Bailey Williams, we are much stronger.

Vred
13-11-2020, 12:38 AM
I honestly still want to see Naughton in our forward line, he still has that swagger and skill that are required from forwards, combo of him + JUH + Bruce is scary.

Will be interesting to see what group he trains with over the pre-season.

Bulldog4life
13-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Naughts has had a few interruptions to his young career to date which has made it difficult for him to be consistent. I really hope he has a good run at it this year as a key forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-11-2020, 09:31 AM

He's no Matty Suckling that's for sure.

westbulldog
13-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Why would we want Naughton in the backline when we have Gardner there ?:)

MrMahatma
13-11-2020, 11:21 AM

Couldn’t agree more. It’s not like he’s only “ok” at his best up forward. When he’s on, it’s a freak show.

We need to fix defence but no way our team is better with Naughton down back and Bruce the main man up forward.

Astro needs to sort the set shots out though.

comrade
13-11-2020, 11:27 AM
Couldn’t agree more. It’s not like he’s only “ok” at his best up forward. When he’s on, it’s a freak show.

We need to fix defence but no way our team is better with Naughton down back and Bruce the main man up forward.

Astro needs to sort the set shots out though.

He'll never fix his set shots, though. His kicking is what it is, a 50/50 proposition (at best).

CarnTheScray
13-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Agree 100%. Naughts to be our long term CHB and Jamarra our forward. Fixes alot but also leaves a bit of an unproven forward line.

Also heard that Naughts wants to play CHB but I don't know the validity of this.

Happy Days
13-11-2020, 11:36 AM
Naughton hits a lead against Adelaide that’s probably the best I’ve ever seen. Sprints up into the empty space slightly too early (call an ambulance!), only to double back around and bolt back to the goalsquare to mark a perfect touch pass from Macrae (but not for me!). I can only assume that sorta stuff is why everyone always raves about Carey so much.

He’s a natural. We must persevere with him up forward.

Mofra
13-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Given our midfield and the way we've structured up last year, we will play a mid as a high forward and push them up to the contest.
Bont in this would be phenomenal - he plays at the stoppage whenever the ball is in our forward half

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Agree 100%. Naughts to be our long term CHB and Jamarra our forward. Fixes alot but also leaves a bit of an unproven forward line.

Also heard that Naughts wants to play CHB but I don't know the validity of this.

I find that difficult to believe. He seems to love being the big show in the forward line, has massive swagger when he's on.

CarnTheScray
13-11-2020, 01:08 PM
I find that difficult to believe. He seems to love being the big show in the forward line, has massive swagger when he's on.
Had massive swagger wherever he plays, gave it to Daniher as a defender in 2018.

mjp
13-11-2020, 01:52 PM
He'll never fix his set shots, though. His kicking is what it is, a 50/50 proposition (at best).

Well, not with an attitude like that he wont!

bornadog
13-11-2020, 02:08 PM

Well, not with an attitude like that he wont!

He sits at 59% accuracy. 71% in 2020, but from limited games

GVGjr
13-11-2020, 02:13 PM

It's not as bad as many might believe

comrade
13-11-2020, 02:20 PM
He’s at 59% set shot accuracy or his goal/behind ratio is 59%?

bornadog
13-11-2020, 02:31 PM

Goal/Behind ratio

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 02:32 PM
It's not as bad as many might believe

Although his action is awkward I think it is quite mechanical and repeatable so I think he can become a fairly reliable set shot.

bornadog
13-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Goal/Behind ratio

Although his action is awkward I think it is quite mechanical and repeatable so I think he can become a fairly reliable set shot.

No doubt he has to work on his set shot ratio (which I don't have). Can always improve.

Axe Man
13-11-2020, 02:36 PM

2020 15.6 from 22 shots (68.2%)

Career 49.34 from 93 shots (52.7%)

That's all shots though, not sure where to find set shot stats. Seems to have been an improvement though, be interesting to see if it continues next year with hopefully a greater volume of shots and goals.

Topdog
13-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Because our defence is putrid.

Is our defence really that bad? Most of our issues has been due to the lack of defending in the midfield.

Rocket Science
13-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Is our defence really that bad? Most of our issues has been due to the lack of defending in the midfield.

True but the net result's often the same, a wobbly backline under perpetual siege while our forwards rot.

The luxury of seconding Naughts back as things dictate is an enticing one, especially if we can can fashion something that clicks forward of centre given more scope now to utilise Bont & English as targets.

Going to be fascinating charting the Xs and Os of our forward setups in 2021. Doubly so if Jamarra puts himself in the mix.

Hotdog60
14-11-2020, 12:13 AM
The only reason we will need a backline is to stop their forwards floating back and keep them honest.
The ball won't make past Centre next year and after we win the flag the AFL will get rid of the 6, 6, 6 rule at ball ups.

jazzadogs
14-11-2020, 12:25 AM
Stats insider has a great shot charting tool link (https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting)

Naughton is going at 59% from 77 set shots. He is around 2 goals less accurate than an average footballer taking shots from the same positions since 2018.

comrade
14-11-2020, 09:10 AM
Stats insider has a great shot charting tool link (https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting)

Naughton is going at 59% from 77 set shots. He is around 2 goals less accurate than an average footballer taking shots from the same positions since 2018.

Yeah I looked at that. Looks like Naughts has been very accurate within 25m (70%+) and has kicked a fair portion of his goals at that range, but his technique breaks down a bit as he gets further out (30-40%).

Go_Dogs
14-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Naughton should stay forward - our most likely player and the one who will cause headaches consistently for opposition sides. Also like English spending more time forward - smart on the lead and marking the ball at its peak.

ledge
14-11-2020, 09:43 AM
I’m thinking Bont spends more time forward and with JUH, Bruce , schache , I’m sure we can rotate them to best fit against the opposition backs .
I still think Schache has potential, he had one game where he teamed up well with Bruce.
I love Naughton forward but watching his attributes and his run down of players he could be an even better CHB the way he reads the ball.

DOG GOD
14-11-2020, 09:48 AM
For mine, Naughton plays back. Sorry if I’m in the minority, but to me he just doesn’t do enough, or involved enough at FF. Yes, he might have the odd game where he’ll pull down 6 contested and kick 4, but he has also shown games of very limited possession. Also, every set shot is heart in mouth stuff. I think he can also use his marking attributes at CHB. He will solidify that back half, and be more involved for longer periods.

SquirrelGrip
14-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Naught on provides such an X-Factor up forward that he has to stay there. Sure there might be times to swing him back to save games or be loose in Defence but he is one of the most dynamic forwards in the league.

I may be Robinson Caruso but I think we can see continued improvement from Ryan Gardner to be our lockdown defensive tall. I don’t care if he gets a kick as long as he stops his opponents. His has height, athleticism and if he can follow instructions. Yes, he was slaughtered by Hipwood (and others) but so was Dale Morris at times in his career but learnt from it. If he can become the thinking man’s defender, it adds so much value to our team. We have plenty of others around hike to assist with intercepts (Keats, Wood, Crozier, Corey, even English when in the ruck), skillful line breakers who are dangerous with ball in hand (Daniel, JJ, Williams, Duryea, even Richards if ever played there). Gardner with a big fist and to hand pass to our line breakers could be the missing link. A Dale Morris-light, if you will.

bornadog
14-11-2020, 11:19 AM
It's been a great discussion so far and a real dilemma for the match committee on what they do in 2021 for the key backs.

On a personal note (Yes Jeemak), I prefer to keep Naughton at Full forward. Full forwards like him come once in a generation and he really looks the goods. He needs to learn more of the craft as his running patterns are not great, plus he is constantly trying to take the screamer, when he should be leading out and finding some space.

I am hoping Gardner or Lewis Young really improve next year,especially Lew as we gave him the number 2 for a reason - he showed some great potential in year one, but hasn't improved alot since.

Twodogs
15-11-2020, 12:38 AM

Yep. Long bombs to Naughts.

Ghost Dog
16-11-2020, 09:23 AM

Ah yes. I am going to watch the Astronaught bags against Richmond right now.
He is really the most dynamic forward we have had since Chris Grant ( apologies to Barry Hall, who shouldn't be overlooked. Improved our side significantly ).

Danjul
16-11-2020, 09:48 AM
I was hoping that we had seen the last of the long bombs into the forward line.

Look at the elimination final- over 50 inside 50s for 9 goals (many from free kicks).

Numerous times this year we were beaten by inferior players who used foot skills to make a better team.

This part of our game strategy has been an unmitigated disaster.

jeemak
16-11-2020, 11:42 AM

Look at the elimination final- over 50 inside 50s for 9 goals (many from free kicks).

Numerous times this year we were beaten by inferior players who used foot skills to make a better team.

Even though it's not part of our game strategy and we rank high for marks inside fifty?

Twodogs
16-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Ah yes. I am going to watch the Astronaught bags against Richmond right now.
He is really the most dynamic forward we have had since Chris Grant ( apologies to Barry Hall, who shouldn't be overlooked. Improved our side significantly ).

It would have been handy getting Barry a couple of years earlier. At least one of the preliminary finals over the 2008-10 period may have turned out differently.

There's long bombs and long bombs though. There's the get out option where the ball carrier is under pressure or has no hit up option so just unloads into space in the forward 50 and then there's the long bomb to your teammate's advantage when you sit it on his head and let the defender worry about being outmarked or give the free away for chopping the arms of pushing his opponent out of the contest.

If we have a tall like Naughton and a teammate like Bruce who is happy to help make space and take defenders wide with constant leads for him then the long bomb to advantage is a good option for us.

Axe Man
16-11-2020, 12:16 PM
I think a pertinent question to ask ourselves in this debate is when the huddle breaks up prior to the first bounce and the players jog to their positions, where would the opposition hope Naughts jogs to? I reckon they would breathe a sigh of relief if he headed to the backline.

Danjul
16-11-2020, 12:50 PM
Even though it's not part of our game strategy and we rank high for marks inside fifty?
In the elimination final Wallis took 1 mark, Bruce took 1 ( and if I remember correctly it was on the backline). Naughton had 1 possession in the first 3 quarters. Players who are in the team to kick goals.

50 entries - only 9 goals.
Long bombs didn’t work and cost us an important win.

Against Carlton over 50 entries got only 7 goals, and 2 were by Vander

Taking marks against bottom sides doesn’t mean much, and many of the marks (Hunter, for example, led to kicks which failed to make the distance).

we need far greater precision with our forward entries next year so we can defeat top sides.

bornadog
16-11-2020, 12:54 PM
we need far greater precision with our forward entries next year so we can defeat top sides.

This is not one of our issues, as we are ranked in top 3 for marks inside 50. The issue is converting them to goals.

jeemak
16-11-2020, 12:56 PM
In the elimination final Wallis took 1 mark, Bruce took 1 ( and if I remember correctly it was on the backline). Naughton had 1 possession in the first 3 quarters. Players who are in the team to kick goals.

50 entries - only 9 goals.
Long bombs didn’t work and cost us an important win.

Against Carlton over 50 entries got only 7 goals, and 2 were by Vander

Taking marks against bottom sides doesn’t mean much, and many of the marks (Hunter, for example, led to kicks which failed to make the distance).

I guess what I'm saying is bombing's not the strategy, it's the players not responding to what the other team is doing defencively and around the footy and reverting to careless instead of considered ball movement and entry methods. When we have the game on our terms for long periods of time our movement inside fifty is much better.

We need to find a way to work around that, and part of that will be to use a long bail out from time to time but it can't be our only go-to. We also need to get good at controlling the tempo of the game and spreading the defence.

You don't need to keep quoting stats at us. We all watched the same games that you did and we've seen the stats too.

Danjul
16-11-2020, 01:00 PM
It

If we have a tall like Naughton and a teammate like Bruce who is happy to help make space and take defenders wide with constant leads for him then the long bomb to advantage is a good option for us.

This Season I saw Bruce spoil Naughton, West and Gowers spoil Bruce, our players spoil English both forward and back.

Your statement is a wish list, I hope it becomes a reality.