PDA

View Full Version : ‘It’s nice to know you’re wanted’: Josh Dunkley opens up after failed trade to Essendon

hujsh
21-11-2020, 09:32 PM
Gun midfielder Josh Dunkley says it’s pleasing to “know that you are wanted” by the Bulldogs, vowing to win back any respect lost from teammates after a chaotic trade period.

Dunkley will officially return to Western Bulldogs pre-season training in January after his club couldn’t strike a deal with Essendon during the recent AFL exchange period (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-2020-josh-dunkley-essendon-deal-stay-at-western-bulldogs-jackson-hately-adelaide-pre-season-draft-tom-mcdonald/news-story/8546fdc159549e8b81181cb877f94bf7), despite his trade request at the start of the month.
The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

Speaking to reporters in Yarram, Dunkley said he was always aware the two clubs might’ve struggled to agree on a suitable trade.
“In the back of my mind, I knew it was a possibility after coming out and going to Essendon,” Dunkley said. “But with all respect, the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/37766d82d403d86c51a414ab3cc110e2“It’s nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now.
“I’m really excited to get back there and get to work.”
It meant the Dogs kept Dunkley and acquired Adam Treloar — who Dunkley has already met — from Collingwood, while the Bombers retained a whopping three first-round selections: Picks 6, 7 and 8.

Despite the disappointment of not getting his trade wish granted, Dunkley has been determined to show professionalism in the aftermath, declaring he’ll “definitely put it all to one side”.
Dunkley revealed he’d already sat down with coach Luke Beveridge and put forward his case to be part of the Dogs’ star-studded midfield – a major reason why he initiated the trade request.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/pmd/images/2020/11/17/790700_640x360_large_20201117081748.jpg

“I caught up with ‘Bevo’ the other night in Melbourne. Let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with him. I actually drove out to his place and we had a good chat. I’d spoken to him a lot through the process as well,” Dunkley said.
“The boys have made me feel really comfortable. It’s nice to be able to go back now and really put my head down and earn that respect, if I have lost any.
“You’ve got to really put your head down and work hard – and that’s what I’m going to do. From last week when it didn’t go through, I was back at it the next day training.
“I’m looking forward to what we can do in 2021.”
Dunkley has kicked 42 goals from 78 games for the Bulldogs since they drafted him with Pick 25 in the 2015 national draft.

hujsh
21-11-2020, 09:33 PM
Thought we needed a new article to replace the Cooney one

Rocket Science
22-11-2020, 12:52 AM
I look forward to a year of perfunctory application from Dunks as rote as his agent-devised statements and after that he can piss off somewhere shit to labour under the burden of copping the main tag every week so we can see how much he truly relishes those first-choice midfield minutes.

In the meantime, get in line, champ.

The Adelaide Connection
22-11-2020, 04:32 AM
I look forward to a year of perfunctory application from Dunks as rote as his agent-devised statements and after that he can piss off somewhere shit to labour under the burden of copping the main tag every week so we can see how much he truly relishes those first-choice midfield minutes.

In the meantime, get in line, champ.

I think someone should make a banner that is celebratory and encouraging in a blatantly backhanded way (perhaps incorporating your legendary photoshop abilities). You know, something that says we will support you and still love you, but we are still bitter that you pissed all over the coffee table.

Something like:

"Don't let his shit blog writing abilities fool you, this Dunkley kid can play"

bulldogtragic
22-11-2020, 10:28 AM
Dunks: "I want to date other people"
Dogs: "No. I refuse, you're mine"
Dunks: "Okey dokey. It's nice to know I'm wanted"

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Playing wise I'm glad he's stayed as it makes us stronger for the now.

I'm gonna need some time to warm back up to him, and I think it's likely he wants to go again at year's end.

Surely can't stay in the leadership group.

soupman
22-11-2020, 11:18 AM
I've gone right off him since this whole incident.

I don't necessarily blame him for wanting the move, I agree it's dumb that we kept not playing him in the midfield when he was very good there and the money Essendon offered was probably very good, but I honestly think he couldn't have picked a worse club to nominate and that either way he was going to go to Essendon with his brother like a new kid being dropped off by his mum at training or come back sheepishly to the Bulldogs giving interviews where he says stuff like "it's nice to feel wanted NOW".

If he does a Josh Bruce style tug of the jumper after wobbling through a goal early next year I'm gonna vomit though.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Gun midfielder Josh Dunkley says it’s pleasing to “know that you are wanted” by the Bulldogs, vowing to win back any respect lost from teammates after a chaotic trade period.

Dunkley will officially return to Western Bulldogs pre-season training in January after his club couldn’t strike a deal with Essendon during the recent AFL exchange period (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-2020-josh-dunkley-essendon-deal-stay-at-western-bulldogs-jackson-hately-adelaide-pre-season-draft-tom-mcdonald/news-story/8546fdc159549e8b81181cb877f94bf7), despite his trade request at the start of the month.
The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years. However the Bombers believed Dunkley was only worthy of one top-10 pick, leading to a trade impasse and an eventual no-deal.

Speaking to reporters in Yarram, Dunkley said he was always aware the two clubs might’ve struggled to agree on a suitable trade.
“In the back of my mind, I knew it was a possibility after coming out and going to Essendon,” Dunkley said. “But with all respect, the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/37766d82d403d86c51a414ab3cc110e2“It’s nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now.
“I’m really excited to get back there and get to work.”
It meant the Dogs kept Dunkley and acquired Adam Treloar — who Dunkley has already met — from Collingwood, while the Bombers retained a whopping three first-round selections: Picks 6, 7 and 8.

Despite the disappointment of not getting his trade wish granted, Dunkley has been determined to show professionalism in the aftermath, declaring he’ll “definitely put it all to one side”.
Dunkley revealed he’d already sat down with coach Luke Beveridge and put forward his case to be part of the Dogs’ star-studded midfield – a major reason why he initiated the trade request.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/pmd/images/2020/11/17/790700_640x360_large_20201117081748.jpg

“I caught up with ‘Bevo’ the other night in Melbourne. Let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with him. I actually drove out to his place and we had a good chat. I’d spoken to him a lot through the process as well,” Dunkley said.
“The boys have made me feel really comfortable. It’s nice to be able to go back now and really put my head down and earn that respect, if I have lost any.
“You’ve got to really put your head down and work hard – and that’s what I’m going to do. From last week when it didn’t go through, I was back at it the next day training.
“I’m looking forward to what we can do in 2021.”
Dunkley has kicked 42 goals from 78 games for the Bulldogs since they drafted him with Pick 25 in the 2015 national draft.

Now when he says this, is he talking about the dogs or the bummers?

bornadog
22-11-2020, 11:26 AM
I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.

azabob
22-11-2020, 11:30 AM
I now wonder whether we should have taken the first rounder and the future second.

Why are you wondering this now?

bornadog
22-11-2020, 11:34 AM
Why are you wondering this now?

Just a few things in that article puts me off. eg: Nice to know you are wanted NOW. What makes him think like that?, or, I will see what happens next summer - does he want out that badly?

If players really want out, not just the money, but other reasons that they think can't be resolved, then go.

I was under the impression he had a big offer that he couldn't refuse, but seems more than that now.

westbulldog
22-11-2020, 11:40 AM
I concur with all previous comments. For all I care Pickering and Dunkley's old man can stand in the rain and watch him play in the VFL next year. Our midfield without him is variously Libba, Macrae, Bont, B Smith, Treloar and maybe McLean and Jong. Dogs should start hawking him around throughout 2021.

The bulldog tragician
22-11-2020, 11:50 AM
A disappointing article. Looks like self pity is more prominent than recommitment. I expected more. Actually maybe I didn’t given we’ve been hearing about Dunkley (right now he’s not “Dunks” any more) being “flat” and “shattered” which was tone deaf to say the least.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-11-2020, 12:20 PM
So will we see a change to the leadership group? This guy simply can't retain his position in our leadership group.
- He wanted out.
- He supposedly thought there were issues and rather than try address them he chose to try run away.
- He doesn't want to play his role for the greater good of the team. Ok I understand he wouldn't want to continue playing ruck but as a leader you need to drive that change. If he tried and Bevo flat out refused then Bevo needs to be questioned but it still falls on Josh's shoulders, as a supposed leader, to drive the change. If he's tried and tried and still to no avail then I completely understand but I don't feel this is the case.
- He didn't get his wish, he's now making that known to everyone and instead of committing to his club, he's promoting his self pity and desire to get better so he can see what happens next year.

This guy is not a leader. Get him out and put someone else in who wants to be here and won't run away from problems.

Twodogs
22-11-2020, 12:27 PM

No. Not at all. It was an insulating offer,. If we had taken it we would have had clubs coming after our other young players and he was contracted for 2 more years. We did fantastically well to hold our ground.

Happy Days
22-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing about Essendon’s phenomenal draft hand? They only got it because of some AFL Moment Creation™️ and had to lose one very good player (and another allegedly very good player) to get there.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing about Essendon’s phenomenal draft hand? They only got it because of some AFL Moment Creation™️ and had to lose one very good player (and another allegedly very good player) to get there.

Let's just be happy that they're getting their best draft hand in the biggest unknown draft of all time. Recruiters haven't seen these kids play U18 football. They'll be going off U17 performances.

The Adelaide Connection
22-11-2020, 01:35 PM
I concur with all previous comments. For all I care Pickering and Dunkley's old man can stand in the rain and watch him play in the VFL next year. Our midfield without him is variously Libba, Macrae, Bont, B Smith, Treloar and maybe McLean and Jong. Dogs should start hawking him around throughout 2021.

I don’t think this is a good idea. If we start hawking him around I think his price goes down. The Stringer example is extreme, but we were never going to get anywhere near the fee that we would have got if he was a required player.

I think we play a straight bat and let teams come to us. Play it exactly how we did this year and hope in the meantime is that he tears it up this year, particularly against the Bombers.

GVGjr
22-11-2020, 01:42 PM

It's going to be an often discussed point I suspect. While we wanted 2 first rounders given he was contracted etc a 1st and 2nd round pick is still a significant offer and there has to be some doubt that it would be repeated.
I was discussing things with a colleague who mentioned that with the deal for Treloar as good as done he thinks we could have got a 2020 first round pick and a 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks from Essendon for Dunkley. We could have then shuffled off pick 8 for another 2nd round this year and a 2021 first rounder with another club.
As it is we go into next season without 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Sedat
22-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Even if he wants to leave at the end of next season, he is clearly going to leave no stone unturned in the quest to become an even better player in 2021. If Sam Power rates him currently as worth 2 x 1st rounders after an injury-riddled and so-so season, he will be worth at least that much and possibly more after an elite season while still contracted for a further 12 months.

Essendon have no choice but to pony up big if they REALLY want him in 12 months. I suspect they won't even bother trying because they know Sam Power will be utterly unmoved by anything less than the ultimate offer which, Essendon being Essendon, they will tyre-kick like they did this year.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Even if he wants to leave at the end of next season, he is clearly going to leave no stone unturned in the quest to become an even better player in 2021. If Sam Power rates him currently as worth 2 x 1st rounders after an injury-riddled and so-so season, he will be worth at least that much and possibly more after an elite season while still contracted for a further 12 months.

Essendon have no choice but to pony up big if they REALLY want him in 12 months. I suspect they won't even bother trying because they know Sam Power will be utterly unmoved by anything less than the ultimate offer which, Essendon being Essendon, they will tyre-kick like they did this year.

Imagine if this was all repeated again next year....

hujsh
22-11-2020, 02:22 PM

We don't know what value the first rounder (and it was their worst first rounder) held for us this year because that value was entirely dependent on trading that pick up to get ahead of a JUH bid. If we were unable to do that it's just wasted points.

kruder
22-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Thought the club handled it so bloody well and seems like we have matured bit, it could be the circuit breaker this group needed.

I can't wait to see Bevo's round 1 team, I think it will say a lot about our hopes for 2021.

bornadog
22-11-2020, 05:49 PM
No. Not at all. It was an insulating offer,. If we had taken it we would have had clubs coming after our other young players and he was contracted for 2 more years. We did fantastically well to hold our ground.

Yeah I agree, I was just being a little disappointed in the article and what he has said.

We sent a message to all clubs, and our own contracted players and in the end did the right thing for the club.

SquirrelGrip
22-11-2020, 06:20 PM
I’d like to see our captain interviewed in a long form interview to ask how he felt with his vice captain and supposed best mate wanting to leave - maybe someone like Gerard Whiteley who would give no favours.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Clubs should have the right to trade players under contract. Maybe a cap of two per year. We could then be a club that doesn't force a player into a trade, and a club that doesn't have players tell the media they want out. That's fair. Now if our club has a playing group that wants to come out and nominate players, then we should be a club that trades where the best opportunity is. It happens all over the world and all sorts of sporting codes. If players want to tell the world they want out, then we should have the right not just to refuse it, but to facilitate it if say a North or Sydney wanted Dunkley & 14 for Pick 2 or 3.

There's a sense of entitlement when you force your club to give you a lucrative contract, then tell the world you don't want to be held to it, then only nominate one club and then be disappointed it. And the AFEL media push the line about us holding the line like some barbarians at the trade table. The right of a club to have up to two forced trades a year wouldve allowed the club to ask 17 clubs for their best offer. I have a suspicion one of the other 16 clubs would've offered more than what Dodoro did. Dunkley would've left with more money in his pay slip and a longer contract albeit playing somewhere else (still a winner), we would've been compensated properly (now a stronger hand winner), with the loser being Dodoro to even bigger proportions (loser twice as bad). If Dodoro knew had to compete with up to 17 clubs for him, do you think his offer would've been higher?

Or even a trigger that when a player under contract 'walks out', they obtain a status (CMTA: Club Managed Trade Agent) that allows the club with the contract to enter into final trades without player consent if the years and dollars are better off overall. I wonder two things, could clubs get better compo, and will the number of players 'walking out' under contract reduce?

But the players association will never allow it, so it's a moot point.

Twodogs
22-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Clubs should have the right to trade players under contract. Maybe a cap of two per year. We could then be a club that doesn't force a player into a trade, and a club that doesn't have players tell the media they want out. That's fair. Now if our club has a playing group that wants to come out and nominate players, then we should be a club that trades where the best opportunity is. It happens all over the world and all sorts of sporting codes. If players want to tell the world they want out, then we should have the right not just to refuse it, but to facilitate it if say a North or Sydney wanted Dunkley & 14 for Pick 2 or 3.

There's a sense of entitlement when you force your club to give you a lucrative contract, then tell the world you don't want to be held to it, then only nominate one club and then be disappointed it. And the AFEL media push the line about us holding the line like some barbarians at the trade table. The right of a club to have up to two forced trades a year wouldve allowed the club to ask 17 clubs for their best offer. I have a suspicion one of the other 16 clubs would've offered more than what Dodoro did. Dunkley would've left with more money in his pay slip and a longer contract albeit playing somewhere else (still a winner), we would've been compensated properly (now a stronger hand winner), with the loser being Dodoro to even bigger proportions (loser twice as bad). If Dodoro knew had to compete with up to 17 clubs for him, do you think his offer would've been higher?

Or even a trigger that when a player under contract 'walks out', they obtain a status (CMTA: Club Managed Trade Agent) that allows the club with the contract to enter into final trades without player consent if the years and dollars are better off overall. I wonder two things, could clubs get better compo, and will the number of players 'walking out' under contract reduce?

But the players association will never allow it, so it's a moot point.

Has the old rule about clubs approaching other clubs contracted players without permission been dropped? It used to be a huge no-no and I've never seen any stories about it being dropped.

azabob
22-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Has the old rule about clubs approaching other clubs contracted players without permission been dropped? It used to be a huge no-no and I've never seen any stories about it being dropped.

Or was that an unwritten rule?

SquirrelGrip
22-11-2020, 08:48 PM

We did spend a lot of time talking with Tom Boyd mid season before Griff’s departure helped us no end.

FrediKanoute
22-11-2020, 09:34 PM
It's going to be an often discussed point I suspect. While we wanted 2 first rounders given he was contracted etc a 1st and 2nd round pick is still a significant offer and there has to be some doubt that it would be repeated.
I was discussing things with a colleague who mentioned that with the deal for Treloar as good as done he thinks we could have got a 2020 first round pick and a 2021 2nd and 3rd round picks from Essendon for Dunkley. We could have then shuffled off pick 8 for another 2nd round this year and a 2021 first rounder with another club.
As it is we go into next season without 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Thing is that other teams will know that Dunks is gettable. So whilst this year we just had Essendon bidding, I would expect North, the Hawks, maybe even the Cats to take a look. I can see teams looking at Dunks and saying that maybe a 1st round and a 2nd in 2021 gets it done, given he is one year less contracted.

Grantysghost
22-11-2020, 10:40 PM
I found the formal use of the club nickname quite off putting. The "Bulldogs"....like we are just one of 18 to him now.
Not sure how he got to this place, must've been brewing for a while, hopefully we can get the best out of him while hes still around. An anointed leader doing this still irks me somewhat but we played it well.

jeemak
22-11-2020, 11:21 PM
I’d like to see our captain interviewed in a long form interview to ask how he felt with his vice captain and supposed best mate wanting to leave - maybe someone like Gerard Whiteley who would give no favours.

Sedat liks this.

jeemak
22-11-2020, 11:27 PM
I found the formal use of the club nickname quite off putting. The "Bulldogs"....like we are just one of 18 to him now.
Not sure how he got to this place, must've been brewing for a while, hopefully we can get the best out of him while hes still around. An anointed leader doing this still irks me somewhat but we played it well.

It makes it seem that he'd checked out and that he's going to have to mentally get back on board, doesn't it.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the leadership group. I don't really want him involved, but the players still might.

Sedat
23-11-2020, 12:19 AM
Sedat liks this.
It will be difficult for Whateley to conduct an interview with Bont when his tongue is permanently wedged in the backside of Dangerfield.

I liked the 'Whiteley' mis-spelling by SquirrelGrip. Not even Michael Clarke has used that one yet.

Bulldog4life
23-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Re-reading the article I can see nothing wrong with what Dunks said. There was no indication he will be hawking himself around after the next season. He will be doing his very best. I am sure Bevo will be giving him more times in the guts too which will please him. Maybe an increase on his contract before it expires in 2022 will be the go. If success comes our way deep in the finals series heck who would want to leave. Quietly confident he will be a doggie for many years.

comrade
23-11-2020, 02:10 PM
A 3 year contract extension wasn’t enough recognition for Dunks?

Happy Days
23-11-2020, 02:33 PM
I get it from Dunks. He signed that deal before he broke out in 2019, and probably feels underpaid.

I mean, its the exact same stuff that Jake Stringer tried to pull in 2016 (allegedly), which I’m sure is totally lost on Josh, but I understand it.

comrade
23-11-2020, 02:38 PM
I get it from Dunks. He signed that deal before he broke out in 2019, and probably feels underpaid.

I mean, its the exact same stuff that Jake Stringer tried to pull in 2016 (allegedly), which I’m sure is totally lost on Josh, but I understand it.

He should sack his manager then.

He signed that deal after playing plenty of time as a mid/forward hybrid. Doing his role for the team didn’t seem like such an issue for him then.

Happy Days
23-11-2020, 02:43 PM
He should sack his manager then.

He signed that deal after playing plenty of time as a mid/forward hybrid. Doing his role for the team didn’t seem like such an issue for him then.

He should sack his manager anyway. Imagine paying a guy to negotiate a deal on your behalf that doesn’t and can’t really possibly get done.

Pickering strikes me as the type who’ll take any mfers money if they’re just giving it away.

Mofra
23-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Dunks: "I want to date other people"
Dogs: "No. I refuse, you're mine"
Dunks: "Okey dokey. It's nice to know I'm wanted"
Police: "We have multiple warrants out on Mofra's uncles"
My uncles: "It's nice to know I'm wanted"

I just hope Dunkley's comment isn't some sly back-hander to Treloar.

jeemak
23-11-2020, 04:08 PM
Police: "We have multiple warrants out on Mofra's uncles"
My uncles: "It's nice to know I'm wanted"

I just hope Dunkley's comment isn't some sly back-hander to Treloar.

Having read his blog I don't think he's capable of that sort of complexity in his thinking.

ledge
23-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Did Dunkley wanting to leave make us chase Treloar ?
If so he just made it harder to get into our midfield.
Backfired you might say.

Bullies
23-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Thing is that other teams will know that Dunks is gettable. So whilst this year we just had Essendon bidding, I would expect North, the Hawks, maybe even the Cats to take a look. I can see teams looking at Dunks and saying that maybe a 1st round and a 2nd in 2021 gets it done, given he is one year less contracted. Happy for one of those clubs to take him so long as it is not Essendon. I don't think he will be around any longer than he needs to. A 1st and 2nd next year. I just think the damage has been done.

1eyedog
23-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Dunkley is dead to me. Of course he doesn't want to be here but we made a stand and said you pricks aren't coming after our contracted guys. Think this was much bigger than Dunkley personally. I'm sure we fully expect to lose Dunkley next year and we have named the price. We needed to make a stand against opposition list managers coming hard at our elite players in the future. Glad Dunkley will be made to play through next year.

Two first rounders and he's yours scumbags.

Twodogs
23-11-2020, 07:00 PM
Re-reading the article I can see nothing wrong with what Dunks said. There was no indication he will be hawking himself around after the next season. He will be doing his very best. I am sure Bevo will be giving him more times in the guts too which will please him. Maybe an increase on his contract before it expires in 2022 will be the go. If success comes our way deep in the finals series heck who would want to leave. Quietly confident he will be a doggie for many years.

Yeah I agree.

He should sack his manager anyway. Imagine paying a guy to negotiate a deal on your behalf that doesn’t and can’t really possibly get done.

Pickering strikes me as the type who’ll take any mfers money if they’re just giving it away.

Again I agree.

Grantysghost
23-11-2020, 09:48 PM
There's video of the quoted interview on the dogs website now. I found it better watching it for some reason.

Josh Dunkley | 'Excited about what we can do'… https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/837749

jeemak
23-11-2020, 10:07 PM
There's video of the quoted interview on the dogs website now. I found it better watching it for some reason.

Josh Dunkley | 'Excited about what we can do'… https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/837749

Agreed.

It's amazing how differently words comes across as text versus aurally.

Interesting the talk about having to work hard to get into the midfield. Is it generic footy talk or is there a hint that he wasn't played there as much because others prepared better whether that be through choice or forced reasons like injury......

Ghost Dog
23-11-2020, 10:33 PM
Leather poisoning this year Josh!

Bulldog4life
24-11-2020, 05:23 PM
Dunkley is dead to me. Of course he doesn't want to be here but we made a stand and said you pricks aren't coming after our contracted guys. Think this was much bigger than Dunkley personally. I'm sure we fully expect to lose Dunkley next year and we have named the price. We needed to make a stand against opposition list managers coming hard at our elite players in the future. Glad Dunkley will be made to play through next year.

Two first rounders and he's yours scumbags.

Gee those are strong words 1eyedog. He is a 23 yo kid. He's made a mistake. We welcome him back. Full stop.

bornadog
24-11-2020, 06:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnkQCbSVoAYw6fm?format=jpg&name=medium

Rocket Science
24-11-2020, 07:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnkQCbSVoAYw6fm?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, that's pleasing to the extent it's really the bare-minimum de-escalation required after what went down.

Everyone's being grown-up, we'll be professional about it, he'll be professional about it, then at season's end if Power spies a favourable offer we're thanking Dunkley for his service ... not necessarily because we're suddenly inclined to shed him - if he magically commits to a change of heart and staying I'm sure we'd happily keep him - but after having the prospect of more money, more responsibility and both a suitor and his oily agent both cooing sweet nothings, you really think he's just going to forget about it all?

May 2021 see Dunks earn back that respect and as much workload as he craves while we flog him like a rented mule.

Twodogs
24-11-2020, 07:56 PM
I've said it before but if I were Dunks I'd be pretty annoyed with my agent. Now the dust has settled I'd be asking him some difficult questions mostly based around "why shouldn't I be kicking your arse to the kerb?" and "how exactly do you justify taking a % of my contract when you've made me look a fool in the media?"

azabob
24-11-2020, 08:40 PM
I've said it before but if I were Dunks I'd be pretty annoyed with my agent. Now the dust has settled I'd be asking him some difficult questions mostly based around "why shouldn't I be kicking your arse to the kerb?" and "how exactly do you justify taking a % of my contract when you've made me look a fool in the media?"

The only possible way Dunkley was getting to Essendon was going public and banking on Power would cave.

Clearly Power didn’t break and the Dunkley camp wanted to risk it for the biscuit.

Twodogs
24-11-2020, 08:56 PM
The only possible way Dunkley was getting to Essendon was going public and banking on Power would cave.

Clearly Power didn’t break and the Dunkley camp wanted to risk it for the biscuit.

Then Liam Pickering gave Josh bad advice. Player manager jobs just don't involve seeing the $$ and acting accordingly and coincidentally giving themselves a bonus as well. One of the aspects of his job is advising his client and while he was obliged to inform Josh that Essendon had made an offer his advice should have been "however we signed a 3 year contract last year and we should stick to it" if Josh said that he wanted to still go for it then Pickering's next port of call should have been Sam Power's office to see what way the wind was blowing.

Instead they tried to ambush us. This shouldn't have been a situation where the first we knew about it was when the media started talking about it. Pickering has been fairly unprofessional and it's backfired on Josh. It's not Pickering who has to walk back into preseason training in January. Maybe I'm being naive expecting a manager to show a little bit of professionalism but if I was Josh Dunkley I'd be ropeable with him. Like I say it's not Pickering who has to remake relationships at the club.

jeemak
24-11-2020, 10:23 PM
You know TD I actually think the most likely person to be pragmatic about the situation in this instance would have been Pickering, and I seriously doubt his advice would have been to pump the media with information. Instead, I reckon much of how this unfolded was out of his control and was the result of other influences - like Josh's dad - getting involved.

The reason I take this point of view is that if nothing else player managers who have stood the test of time are a bit like politicians who have. They're cynical pragmatists, who know that any deal can turn bad in an instant and the best way to look incompetent is to have your own filthy paw prints on those that do.

Sure he has his big clients that provide the cream, though Pickering's business at 5% margin is a volume one and doing something that jeopardises future opportunities to attract and retain players in large volumes is the last thing on his mind when in essence he'd only be earning an additional ~$20K p.a. in doing so.

azabob
24-11-2020, 10:44 PM
I would be staggered if we didn’t know about Essendons interest in Dunkley and Dunkleys in Essendon before the media.

TD, I reckon Pickering did a wind test to see which way it was blowing. It was blowing the wrong way so they changed tact and went public.

bornadog
25-11-2020, 10:23 AM
DUNKLEY TRADE REQUEST CAME AS A “HUGE SURPRISE” TO BULLDOGS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/24/dunkley-trade-request-came-as-a-huge-surprise-to-bulldogs/)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s trade request came as a “huge surprise” to the entire club.

Dunkley, who has two years to run on his Bulldogs contract, had his heart set on a move to Essendon only for the deal to fall through on the final day of the trade period.

Beveridge has sat down with Dunkley since his failed trade to the Bombers in a bid to clear the air before the start of the 2021 pre-season.

“It was a surprise and when Dunks and I caught up last week, I talked to him about the two sides of it,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“Josh and I are very close, I’ve spent a lot of time with him talking about life as much as footy. I feel like I’ve spent more time than most of our players talking to him about key aspects of his game.

“There’s a personal connection between him and I. I had to contain my emotions and try to put it in some sort of perspective.

“We’ve invested a lot in Josh over the last five years, he’s blossomed as a player, he’s definitely applied himself, he’s a professional but our program has really helped him get to where he’s got to.

“For all the different reasons and the weight of the reasons as to why he might consider the move to another club, my discussion with him was that it doesn’t matter, all that matters to me and to our club is that he’s with us.

“If there’s any tension there, then we need to discuss it, but he reassured me that things are fine. It was a huge surprise for all of us.

“We look forward to him being a key contributor next year.”

Dunkley, 23, has played 78 games for the Bulldogs and was part of the club’s drought-breaking 2016 premiership.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-11-2020, 10:28 AM
More signs of $$$$$ and Pickering greed.

Ghost Dog
25-11-2020, 01:56 PM
I Don't see the big deal! I've changed jobs just about every 2-3 years for 20 years!

ledge
25-11-2020, 05:09 PM
DUNKLEY TRADE REQUEST CAME AS A “HUGE SURPRISE” TO BULLDOGS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/24/dunkley-trade-request-came-as-a-huge-surprise-to-bulldogs/)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s trade request came as a “huge surprise” to the entire club.

Dunkley, who has two years to run on his Bulldogs contract, had his heart set on a move to Essendon only for the deal to fall through on the final day of the trade period.

Beveridge has sat down with Dunkley since his failed trade to the Bombers in a bid to clear the air before the start of the 2021 pre-season.

“It was a surprise and when Dunks and I caught up last week, I talked to him about the two sides of it,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“Josh and I are very close, I’ve spent a lot of time with him talking about life as much as footy. I feel like I’ve spent more time than most of our players talking to him about key aspects of his game.

“There’s a personal connection between him and I. I had to contain my emotions and try to put it in some sort of perspective.

“We’ve invested a lot in Josh over the last five years, he’s blossomed as a player, he’s definitely applied himself, he’s a professional but our program has really helped him get to where he’s got to.

“For all the different reasons and the weight of the reasons as to why he might consider the move to another club, my discussion with him was that it doesn’t matter, all that matters to me and to our club is that he’s with us.

“If there’s any tension there, then we need to discuss it, but he reassured me that things are fine. It was a huge surprise for all of us.

Dunkley, 23, has played 78 games for the Bulldogs and was part of the club’s drought-breaking 2016 premiership.

Get him to 100 games first.

Rocket Science
25-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Fair to glean from that the coach is at best disappointed and more likely something closer to 'filthy'.

One wonders if it tempts him to reconsider the way we deploy Dunkley ...

Grantysghost
25-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Fair to glean from that the coach is at best disappointed and more likely something closer to 'filthy'.

Footscray backup ruckman?

comrade
25-11-2020, 05:43 PM

Thankfully for Dunks, Bevo isn't one to hold a grudge...

Rocket Science
25-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Thankfully for Dunks, Bevo isn't one to hold a grudge...

Bevo? Nahhhh.

If there's a coach inclined to take an attempted defection personally, it's ours. Dunks might be praying he hasn't poked the bear.

jeemak
25-11-2020, 07:23 PM
From some of the comments about Josh benefitting from being in our environment I reckon some of the conversation with Bevo would have been along the lines of "get back to earth and fall into line, as we owe you nothing and you have a contract to play with us - how and where we want you to play".

azabob
25-11-2020, 07:47 PM
More signs of $$$$$ and Pickering greed.

Not sure why so much hate towards Pickering. He’s doing his job.

azabob
25-11-2020, 07:50 PM
From some of the comments about Josh benefitting from being in our environment I reckon some of the conversation with Bevo would have been along the lines of "get back to earth and fall into line, as we owe you nothing and you have a contract to play with us - how and where we want you to play".

You should listen to the interview- i think you are spot on.

Interestingly I think Bevo classes Treloar as an inside mid.

ledge
25-11-2020, 07:55 PM

Well it won’t be in the ruck so if that was one problem it’s solved.
Imagine the media if Dunkley goes up for a tap out.

Twodogs
25-11-2020, 09:41 PM
Not sure why so much hate towards Pickering. He’s doing his job.

I disagree. There's more to his job than just looking for dollars-if that were it then Josh could do that himself. Pickering's told also includes advising his clients. Now Pickering moves onto his next client whereas Dunks has to re-establish relationships and has probably lost his spot in the leadership group and is no longer the heir apparent as club captain.

Basically he's left Josh looking like a bit of a mug by by trying to undermine Sam Power and the club.

Twodogs
25-11-2020, 09:54 PM
I Don't see the big deal! I've changed jobs just about every 2-3 years for 20 years!

Ah but have you tried to skip out on a 3 year contract with 2 years to run on it without telling your employer until you were clearing your desk?

Rocket Science
25-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Digressing slightly, Bevo's remarks in that interview (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1331436697402306560?s=20) about Libba and to a greater extent Hunter were interesting.

We know Libba's doing god's work on uncooperative knees but having him referred to as a "time bomb" we're unsure when'll "go off" is going to leave a fairly gaping hole at some point. Come on Rhylee, develop faster plz.

Though his comments on Lachie and his broader wellbeing are even more concerning. We're clearly working with him but it sounds like his struggles are akin to a persistent injury we're going to have to help him manage, which is entirely consistent with such things, but not sure I've heard us make it so plain.

bornadog
25-11-2020, 11:47 PM
Though his comments on Lachie and his broader wellbeing are even more concerning. We're clearly working with him but it sounds like his struggles are akin to a persistent injury we're going to have to help him manage, which is entirely consistent with such things, but not sure I've heard us make it so plain.

Isn't this to do with his personal issues and his Fiance's quest for a child?

Rocket Science
26-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Isn't this to do with his personal issues and his Fiance's quest for a child?

Unsure about the fiancé element, but yes, and the coach sounds openly concerned though obviously committed to all the support Hunter needs, though going by his tone and relative candidness it's just a perilous situation for such a critical figure and nigh-on irreplaceable player for us.

azabob
26-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Unsure about the fiancé element, but yes, and the coach sounds openly concerned though obviously committed to all the support Hunter needs, though going by his tone and relative candidness it's just a perilous situation for such a critical figure and nigh-on irreplaceable player for us.

Bevo also eluded too we probably need to give Hunter more support off field than we did during 2020.