PDA

View Full Version : Our 2021 bolter

Mofra
23-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Guys and Gals, you know the drill.

Every year there's a "bolter" - someone who is either untried or fringe who exceeds expectations and become a regular in the best 22. 2020 was hard to judge, but a few of us on here loved VDM's 2019 VFL form and I'd argue he was the 2020 bolter. He's in my Round 1 2021 team.

So who is the 2021 bolter? Given we have picked up three senior players at the trade table who will all slot straight into the team when fit, will they preclude a real bolter this year? Will it be someone who was underwhelming in 2020 getting back to their best?

He's had his knockers, but arguably Josh Bruce fits the bill. Maligned for not living up to his contract last year, I expect a slimmer and more focused Bruce in 2021. I'm also expecting Mitch Hannan to prove a clever pick up in at the trade table.

Less of a prediction and more of a hope, Lewis Young back as a KPD. Easy to forget he's only 21, and age where many players (including much-loved Bulldogs) we're even on an AFL rookie list. Just one game in 2020, it won't be too difficult to top that in 2021.

soupman
23-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Riley Garcia. This might be wishful thinking, but reading between the lines on basically every press release since this guy recovered from his knee we seem very positive on him.

From what I understand he is a pacy mid/half forward, he might struggle initially behind guys like Treloar and Smith but by my count we have at least one or two spots in the side that could be raffled between all the fringe guys and this guy seems to have some points of difference to the rest and we seem to like his potential (plus love playing young blokes).

bornadog
23-11-2020, 12:45 PM
My bolter will be Rhylee West. He has already shown a bit but hasn't been able to be consistent and crack a regular game. He may very well end up being played mainly HFF and some mid time, but with his energy and attack on the ball he could become a regular goal kicker, and defensive forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-11-2020, 02:04 PM
West for me too.

I've liked his ability to win contests as a forward and if he builds his tank, he'll still get mid minutes - despite our riches in that area. Few years under his belt and I think he'll be ready to become a regular.

comrade
23-11-2020, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately the club forgot to bring the video camera to QLD so we didn’t get any footage, but I like the vibes around Garcia. Really hope he’s training with the forwards group over pre-season.

Bulldog Joe
23-11-2020, 02:21 PM
I am excited about what I have heard on Garcia, so he is the one I see as the most likely.

We will do very well if it turns out to be Lewis Young, who is the player we really need to make an impact. If he could own CHB we will be a significantly improved team.

The Doctor
23-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Lewis Young

We didn't bring in any KP defenders during the trade period and were prepared to let Trengove go. To me this means we must be happy with what we have. His direct opponents for a position in the senior team is Gardiner & perhaps Cordy.

Has shown plenty of potential. Think he plays a fair bit next season.

Grantysghost
23-11-2020, 02:27 PM
I'm on the Bruce bandwagon. I think this season was so extraordinary it's difficult to accept as the norm....I think with the right build up and environment he is going to be a major player for us here on out. He has proven himself over the preceding years at a high level so I expect he will get back to that.

Of the youngsters I think Richards still has so much improvement in him, if he can have a big pre season and gain some early confidence with another year of learning under his belt he can really be a bolter. He's got all the attributes.

hujsh
23-11-2020, 03:56 PM
I'm gonna look like an idiot but I'm kind of feeling a mini Roarke Smith renaissance.

GVGjr
23-11-2020, 04:31 PM
We are looking for the 2021 version of Bailey Williams, so maybe Young might take a big step forward but I hope it's Josh Schache

ledge
23-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Does Vamdemeer fit the bill ? If so I back him.

GVGjr
23-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Does Vamdemeer fit the bill ? If so I back him.

Isn't he a 2020 bolter or do you think he will take another step or two forward again in 2021?

GVGjr
23-11-2020, 05:58 PM
I'm gonna look like an idiot but I'm kind of feeling a mini Roarke Smith renaissance.

Bold suggestion but he can play a role for us if he can improve a bit in 2021

Ghost Dog
23-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Josh Schache. He's coming to play.

Hotdog60
23-11-2020, 07:36 PM
JUH to have a first season blinder that will have us fighting off other clubs trying to do a T.Boyd on us.

EasternWest
23-11-2020, 09:33 PM
Josh Schache. He's coming to play.

Schache won't play all year and be delisted at the end of the season. I wish I felt differently because I like him too, but Beveridge just doesn't rate him.

JUH to have a first season blinder that will have us fighting off other clubs trying to do a T.Boyd on us.

In Sam we trust.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2020, 09:47 PM
Khamis.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2020, 10:04 PM
Schache won't play all year and be delisted at the end of the season. I wish I felt differently because I like him too, but Beveridge just doesn't rate him.

In Sam we trust.

That's what's going to make the comeback so special. Go Josh!

EasternWest
23-11-2020, 10:11 PM
That's what's going to make the comeback so special. Go Josh!

Alright GD you've convinced me. I'm all in.

jeemak
23-11-2020, 10:13 PM

Christmas isn't for another month Bah Humbug!

Ghost Dog
23-11-2020, 10:27 PM
Alright GD you've convinced me. I'm all in.

That's the way!
Look with a lot of players they can't really kick or mark that well. That's not Josh's problem.
Kicks the ball very well. But he lacks self belief and it can't hurt to give him some rusted on support.
If he doesn't show mongrel this year he's out, so he has to go all out.
At the dogs we don't really eat our own like other clubs. I'd love to think the fans get behind him and will him over the line to some measure of success.

Eastdog
23-11-2020, 10:50 PM
I’m going to go for Josh Bruce.

The Adelaide Connection
23-11-2020, 11:59 PM
You can bet that if it is one of JUH, Bruce, or Schache we will be a damn sight harder to beat.

Personally, I am backing in Lipinski to bounce back. Lets face it, if he gets an opportunity (with our midfield depth) he just has to take it in a big way.

SonofScray
24-11-2020, 09:32 AM
VDM to streak ahead of his peers.
West to force his way in.
Schache to push Bruce out.

Dogs win multiple flags in quick succession..

ledge
24-11-2020, 01:51 PM
Isn't he a 2020 bolter or do you think he will take another step or two forward again in 2021?

Another step .. all I see is Johnno in him.

1eyedog
24-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Man I hope it's Lewy Young. Sorts a lot of stuff out for us if it is.

DOG GOD
24-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Vandermeer for mine. Stay injury free and look out.

Sorry but Schache and Lew Young will be lucky to play 6 games each next year.

Hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see them being in the MC plans

dog town
24-11-2020, 06:07 PM
For anyone wanting an extra look at Garcia you can view some of his WA under 18s game online.

Twodogs
24-11-2020, 08:23 PM
Josh Schasche. The kid can play.

jeemak
25-11-2020, 12:31 AM
I saw VDM last Friday, was taking a walk on the wild side of Brighton at the Newbay Hotel for a work meet up and he was on the next table from me.

He was pretty laid back by the looks of things, taking it easy. Extremely lean with silly hunched over shoulders he'll probably lose once he lightens up mentally.

Rarely do I see league footballers out, but each time I do, they seem so young and it freaks me out how the crazy little bastards run so hard at each other.

Mofra
25-11-2020, 09:34 AM
I saw VDM last Friday, was taking a walk on the wild side of Brighton at the Newbay Hotel for a work meet up and he was on the next table from me.

He was pretty laid back by the looks of things, taking it easy. Extremely lean with silly hunched over shoulders he'll probably lose once he lightens up mentally.

Rarely do I see league footballers out, but each time I do, they seem so young and it freaks me out how the crazy little bastards run so hard at each other.
Given Nigel Kellett never learned to walk upright I doubt VDM will suddenly graduate from deportment school anytime soon

KT31
29-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Given Nigel Kellett never learned to walk upright I doubt VDM will suddenly graduate from deportment school anytime soon

I had a hunch someone was going to mention Kellett.:D:D

jeemak
29-11-2020, 08:49 PM
I had a hunch someone was going to mention Kellett.:D:D

Yes.....we'll try the veal....and damn straight let yourself out!

Go_Dogs
29-11-2020, 09:34 PM
I’m going to go with Jong. If he can stay on the park, I expect he will do some damage for us as a more permanent forward who can get some hang time, clunk a mark, along with having the wheels we so desperately need in that part of the ground.

Avoid the rush
30-11-2020, 10:48 AM
I am praying that Bruce may be our bolter at full back on the so called "monsters" that seem to get hold of us from time to time. He doesn't have to mark, just punch most of the time and I feel he has the attributes of a good backman,
if he has the want. He is quick for his size, aggressive, has a good leap, and his disposal is reasonable. Worth a good try I reckon. Let Naughton, Bont, Wallis, English and JUH control the forward line.

bulldogtragic
22-04-2021, 10:02 PM
Khamis.

Feeling really good about this call. Even more so watching tonight.

Reassuring to see the clubs nearly 3 years development pay off.

westbulldog
23-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Based on last night's VFL game, Khamis looks ready for selection.

Happy Days
23-04-2021, 10:59 AM
His disposal is a little choppy and I wonder if a debut against the best pressure side in the AFL is setting him up to fail.