PDA

View Full Version : Skipper in 2007?

Dry Rot
30-01-2007, 04:13 PM
How is he looking at training? What is a fair expectation of him this season? Has McDougall shot his chances of a place in the 22?

Hard Ball Get
30-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I cant see him in our best 22 and I find it hard to see him squeeze into our side unless injuries hit.
Having said that I still think he has a bit to offer. He played a few handy games last year and supported well when Minson was out.

BulldogBelle
30-01-2007, 04:59 PM
It is imperative for him to have a good start this season, he had a couple of injury issues with his foot last season which set him back a bit. If he gets a good start, I think he can be a valuable member to the team.

Dry Rot
30-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I think he can be a valuable member to the team.

But where does he fit with Street, Minson, Wight, Harris, Grant, Darcy and McDougall all curently available as talls or ruckmen?

LostDoggy
30-01-2007, 06:19 PM
How is he looking at training? What is a fair expectation of him this season? Has McDougall shot his chances of a place in the 22?

Physically he looks terrific and his form has been OK. I have noticed the odd decision making and skill error which has plagued him throughout his career but hopefully he is on the improve. We have invested significant time in him and 2007 is the year he needs to start to repay us.
I also hope he is capable of offering more to the club that just as a back-up ruckman to Street and Minson.

Dry Rot
31-01-2007, 10:19 AM
I also hope he is capable of offering more to the club that just as a back-up ruckman to Street and Minson.

You think he's capable of playing a KPP role?

The Coon Dog
31-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I think Wayde is one of those in between types, not quite tall enough for the ruck & not mobile enough to play as a REGULAR key forward, however, there are instances during a season when you just don't have the ability to put your best 22 out on the park.

That's where Wayde's value to the team comes in, as a pinch hitter. It's better to have him on the list & perhaps not need him than to not have him on the list & need him, if you follow my drift.

Put simply, he's handy to have, but in my opinion, based on what I have seen, then I think he'll be used to fill gaps should they arise.

I think you can carry 1, maybe 2 talls on your list for this reason, rather than midfielders.

Persoanly tho, I'd love to see him find a position & cement it, gonna be tough for him. He's not alone either. I think it's make or break for a few this year. They REALLY have to show some (significant in some cases) improvement, I'm talking of Wayde, Cam Faulkner, Tim Walsh & Steve Tiller.

Go_Dogs
31-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Tiller will get at least 1 more year after this season, provided he stays injury free and can play some good football. DMac is another who may struggle to stay on this list.

I think Skip is almost finished. The recruitment of Doogs doesn't do him any favours, and Darcy coming back along with the development of Wight and continued improvment of Minson and Street leave him in a difficult position. He's tough and can play the back-up role, but that is all I really see him doing this season.

GVGjr
31-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Tiller will get at least 1 more year after this season, provided he stays injury free and can play some good football. DMac is another who may struggle to stay on this list.

I think Skip is almost finished. The recruitment of Doogs doesn't do him any favours, and Darcy coming back along with the development of Wight and continued improvment of Minson and Street leave him in a difficult position. He's tough and can play the back-up role, but that is all I really see him doing this season.

I wouldn't be as quick to write him off but he does have a fair bit to prove. 2007 has to be a good season for his.

D-Mac and Faulkner need to step up as well.

Twodogs
31-01-2007, 01:14 PM
A trainer told me the other day that Skip is the club boxing champion. Maybe the club is trying to get his confidence level up?

FWIW he hasnt put a foot wrong during preseason this summer.

bulldogtragic
31-01-2007, 02:00 PM

Unfortunately i completely agree. I say unfortunate because Skip did have 'potential'. But being honest, he cant ruck, and shouldn't have had to come into the side as a ruckman. With Darcy, Doogs, Wight, Grant, Harris, Minson, Street and pups with potential like Walsh, Tiller, Pask, West & O'Shea - Short term i cant see him making an impact and nor can i long term. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but with the strength of the list being what it is Skip, D-Mac and perhaps Faulkner are staring down the barrel of an unknown 2008.

Dry Rot
31-01-2007, 02:28 PM
with the strength of the list being what it is Skip, D-Mac and perhaps Faulkner are staring down the barrel of an unknown 2008.

I'd add Walsh to that list.

If we want to promote say 2 rookies and there are two retirements, then we'll need 3 or 4 places for this year's draft.

GVGjr
31-01-2007, 04:11 PM

If we want to promote say 2 rookies and there are two retirements, then we'll need 3 or 4 places for this year's draft.

Walsh would be on notice as well. Given what I has seen and heard about Harbrow and Hughes we might have to cut into the list even deeper.

bulldogtragic
31-01-2007, 04:59 PM

My guess is at least five spots.

3 draft picks and 2 rookies elevated or 4 picks and rookie conversely.

Grant and Montgomery retired is 2. If Skip and DMac failed to make significant inroads then perhaps those would make 4, then one of Faulkner or Walsh?

Gee it's getting more cut throat by the year. bad for some individuals, but great for the club and its members (to get the succes that comes from having such a great list.).

mjp
01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
But where does he fit with Street, Minson, Wight, Harris, Grant, Darcy and McDougall all curently available as talls or ruckmen?

At Werribee. He is a ruckman trapped in a KPP's body. His speed isn't too bad, agility is average to poor and he is not a strong overhead mark.

He is a terrific kick though and seems to have a strong work ethic, but I cannot see him filling any more than a spare parts role.

bornadog
01-02-2007, 11:03 PM
At Werribee. He is a ruckman trapped in a KPP's body. His speed isn't too bad, agility is average to poor and he is not a strong overhead mark.

He is a terrific kick though and seems to have a strong work ethic, but I cannot see him filling any more than a spare parts role.

You never know what he will bob up and do. But one thing, if this is not his year, I couldn't imagine him still at the club next year.

Dry Rot
02-02-2007, 01:50 AM
You never know what he will bob up and do. But one thing, if this is not his year, I couldn't imagine him still at the club next year.

We haven't drafted any young ruckmen. May keep his spot purely to cover for this and injuries to Minson and Street.

southerncross
02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I don't think he can be maintained on the list in the coming years just because he is a back up ruckman. He needs to start holding down a spot by his own solid performance. I think we will know in the early part of the year if he will make it.

Dry Rot
02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
OK - what will we do for ruck back-up then?

southerncross
02-02-2007, 10:23 AM
OK - what will we do for ruck back-up then?

Draft or trade for one is the only answer.
Perhaps Eade sees McDougall as the back-up ruckman and Darcy as the insurance. From my perspective I'd prefer to see Darcy locked in as a key forward with only the occassional run on the ball. If Darcy can provide a Thompson type target for us up forward then this will be a huge for us.

Go_Dogs
02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
The B's have also secured some ruckmen, so perhaps if they are playing well they may be rookied next year. I was actually really surprised we didn't take at least 1 ruckmen this year. Hopefully we can nab Sam Jacobs off whoevers rookie list he ended up one, or something. We need another developing ruckmen, for sure imo.