PDA

View Full Version : Start the Campaign: JUH wears 51

mjp
09-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Let’s recognise our history - Jamarra wears 51 in honour of the great Michael McLean.

Who’s on board???

The Underdog
09-12-2020, 11:39 PM
Let’s recognise our history - Jamarra wears 51 in honour of the great Michael McLean.

Who’s on board???

Totally, that’s be brilliant, although I’d imagine he probably gets #1.

comrade
09-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Totally, that’s be brilliant, although I’d imagine he probably gets #1.

Marketing team will be pushing hard for #1 or #23 I'd imagine.

Happy Days
10-12-2020, 12:02 AM
Burn #1.

bornadog
10-12-2020, 12:02 AM

Who’s on board???

I am, I have said that all along.

Rocket Science
10-12-2020, 12:05 AM

Who’s on board???

Can you imagine the pre-debut jersey presentation?

I've got shivers.

bornadog
10-12-2020, 12:17 AM

I've got shivers.

Who Koops? :D:D:D

Rocket Science
10-12-2020, 12:19 AM
Who Koops? :D:D:D

Ahhh Koopsy, I had such lofty hopes.

How many games has Mundy played for Freo again?

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:20 AM
Ahhh Koopsy, I had such lofty hopes.

How many games has Mundy played for Freo again?

He's finally coming into his own, with a lazy 332.......you know, in a state with teams that doesn't produce 300 game players apparently.

boydogs
10-12-2020, 02:43 AM
It was 31 years ago he last played for us, most supporters wouldn't appreciate the reference

jeemak
10-12-2020, 03:55 AM
It was 31 years ago he last played for us, most supporters wouldn't appreciate the reference

It's a cynical, but not irrelevant point. It's possibly a really good one actually.

I don't really like the idea of saying to an indigenous kid, we used to have an indigenous player playing with us who was a gun and we think you should wear his number. This might be a bit strong/ off the mark, but it almost feels like type-casting to me, you know, indigenous players are of a type and we want them to fulfill something that (in this instance) validates our history specific to that type.

If he's offered the chance and takes it then great, if he isn't or is and doesn't then great as well. He's the biggest up-front talent we've landed since Cooney (who was pretty good, winning a Brownlow at 24 and in my view has a reason to be bitter about how things turned out for him even if he takes it out on us as a club - because he was genuinely cut down) so he can do what he wants.

I'd personally like to see him in the No. 1. Let's go all out.

FrediKanoute
10-12-2020, 04:39 AM

I appreciate the reference, but I am less inclined to push for it. Magic was a great player. He was probably a better player for Brisbane than he was for us. I'd prefer Jam to forge his own identity. Yes he's indigenous, but that isn't just who he is. As a number 1 draft pick he has enough pressures. I would just be inclined to lower expectations etc and whilst #51 has a nice nostalgic touch about it, it also is a damning indictment that looking back across our recent history we have to go back 31 years to find a suitable reference point.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2020, 10:52 AM
It's a cynical, but not irrelevant point. It's possibly a really good one actually.

I don't really like the idea of saying to an indigenous kid, we used to have an indigenous player playing with us who was a gun and we think you should wear his number. This might be a bit strong/ off the mark, but it almost feels like type-casting to me, you know, indigenous players are of a type and we want them to fulfill something that (in this instance) validates our history specific to that type.

If he's offered the chance and takes it then great, if he isn't or is and doesn't then great as well. He's the biggest up-front talent we've landed since Cooney (who was pretty good, winning a Brownlow at 24 and in my view has a reason to be bitter about how things turned out for him even if he takes it out on us as a club - because he was genuinely cut down) so he can do what he wants.

I'd personally like to see him in the No. 1. Let's go all out.

Agree with all of this.

Let Marra make his own history and how he wants to do it.

mjp
10-12-2020, 11:09 AM

Sounds like an opportunity to me!

A lot of supporters don't know about Gary Dempsey, KT...the list goes on. Should we simply ignore this? I've been a supporter since 85 but - being interstate - don't know a lot about the minutiae of our history before that. Again, that sounds like an opportunity.

If all of your marketing is based on the here and now - well, in lean times you are going to be in trouble. You need to remember that the club was "born in blood and boots" - we were all so proud of that banner - so let's double down on our history and really promote the longevity and history of our club. We all mock North and their Shinboner schtick but their supporters believe it and believe in it - and it always gives the club a reference point for what they stand for. We have that as well...

I have been incredibly critical of our clubs lack of:
1/. Indigenous players
2/. Resources in place to support them.

At the same time we have a great opportunity now to turn that around. The rookie draft is today and I am 100% expecting at least 1 more indigenous player to be selected...if you want to talk it, you have to walk it.

Mofra
10-12-2020, 11:13 AM

I've got shivers.
If Johnno does it he'll be known as JUFH

Mofra
10-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Marketing team will be pushing hard for #1 or #23 I'd imagine.
He wore 25 at Oakleigh, but I would have thought the Jordan/Buddy factor would make 23 attractive.

Aren't numbers in the 50s reserved for Footscray players? I did notice Bedendo rocking the number 54 in his photos as wll

Axe Man
10-12-2020, 12:09 PM
The rookie draft is today and I am 100% expecting at least 1 more indigenous player to be selected...if you want to talk it, you have to walk it.

I think you will be disappointed - unless we somehow backtrack on the commitments to Roarke Smith and MacPherson it's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Mofra
10-12-2020, 01:50 PM
I think you will be disappointed - unless we somehow backtrack on the commitments to Roarke Smith and MacPherson it's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Truth be told I'm a little disappointed as well - especially since we have been talking about small quick pressure forwards

Axe Man
10-12-2020, 02:03 PM
Truth be told I'm a little disappointed as well - especially since we have been talking about small quick pressure forwards

I would have liked one as well. Is there any chance McNeil could be that player? Seems to have good pace and is a strong tackler, no idea of his forward craft.

I know he has probably played midfield most of his junior (and senior SANFL) career but I imagine plenty of small forwards (and backs) were midfielders once.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-12-2020, 02:19 PM
I would have liked one as well. Is there any chance McNeil could be that player? Seems to have good pace and is a strong tackler, no idea of his forward craft.

I know he has probably played midfield most of his junior (and senior SANFL) career but I imagine plenty of small forwards (and backs) were midfielders once.

Could be a bit like Garcia? He's quick and tackles well. Not sure on his goal sense but same goes for Garcia. Perhaps they can develop into a small mini tiny mosquito squad. Some attributes to work with for sure, it's just whether that crumbing and goal sense is there.

Ozza
10-12-2020, 02:44 PM
Not keen. Think Jamarra will make his own way in 1 or 23.

SquirrelGrip
10-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Regardless of whether Marra gets 51 or not, it's a great opportunity to reconnect Magic with the club and increase his profile with newer generations. He warrants recognition in our Hall of Fame. Magic would be an awesome mentor of JUH.

bornadog
10-12-2020, 03:24 PM

So you are happy to take 23 off Vander?

SquirrelGrip
10-12-2020, 03:26 PM

I remember seeing an earlier post offering Vander #8. Just posted in a different thread video of Lachie McNeal wearing number 51 at the Eagles.

Bulldog4life
10-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Number one pick. He should be able to choose any of the untaken numbers. His decision.

Axe Man
10-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Number 4, he's already got various items of Bont's clothing, might as well take his jumper as well.

Ozza
11-12-2020, 12:13 PM

If Vander is happy to take 1 or 8 - then yep.

soupman
11-12-2020, 06:23 PM

Why 23? The Buddy thing? How is that making his own way but wearing 51 isn't?

comrade
11-12-2020, 09:01 PM
Why 23? The Buddy thing? How is that making his own way but wearing 51 isn't?

23 is the world renown number for sporting superstars. Jordan, Warne, LeBron, Buddy.

Twodogs
11-12-2020, 09:58 PM
23 is the world renown number for sporting superstars. Jordan, Warne, LeBron, Buddy.

Brereton.

Bulldog Joe
11-12-2020, 10:10 PM
Regardless of whether Marra gets 51 or not, it's a great opportunity to reconnect Magic with the club and increase his profile with newer generations. He warrants recognition in our Hall of Fame. Magic would be an awesome mentor of JUH.

Has also seemed a preferred No for various Jordan's of varying abilities.

2 with us, 1 a premiership hero and 1 who gave his best service by leaving and effectively providing the trade that ultimately got us Jack Macrae.

soupman
12-12-2020, 11:57 AM

Just think it's weird people want him to make his own way by not wearing 51 but at the same time are happy to make Vandermeer change numbers to facilitate JUH playing in the number the player he rightly or wrongly is most compared to also coincidently wears.

bulldogtragic
12-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Put Jamarra in any jumper number. I bet within 2 years, those jumpers will be sold out quicker than any other, including #4.

Build it and they will come.

Twodogs
12-12-2020, 12:26 PM
Put Jamarra in any jumper number. I bet within 2 years, those jumpers will be sold out quicker than any other, including #4.

Build it and they will come.

Agreed. Let him write his own story.

bornadog
12-12-2020, 01:31 PM
There are many jumpers given out to players because the jumper is special - 3, 7 to name two. Why not 51 to represent one of our best ever indigenous players, or perhaps give him Lindsay Gilbee's number (can't remember his number) - our longest serving indigenous player.

I think if we give him 1 it will be a bit of a wank - sort of saying look at me I am number 1 draft pick.

23 - well why should Vander give up the number?

Bulldog4life
12-12-2020, 01:44 PM
It is easy really. Jamarra gets the the number he wants. Not what supporters want.

Twodogs
13-12-2020, 12:15 AM
There are many jumpers given out to players because the jumper is special - 3, 7 to name two. Why not 51 to represent one of our best ever indigenous players, or perhaps give him Lindsay Gilbee's number (can't remember his number) - our longest serving indigenous player.

I think if we give him 1 it will be a bit of a wank - sort of saying look at me I am number 1 draft pick.

23 - well why should Vander give up the number?

Number 9. How could you forget Gilbs' number? It was Les Bamblett's number too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-12-2020, 02:10 AM
51 is fine, if Magic Mclean is onboard.

Without his endorsement, it becomes cliche and twee; and given where we are, the only club to have zero indigenous players on our list in 2019.
23 is cliche too, everyone copying Jordan.

I'm on board with 51, but Magic has to be a part of it. We've got to make the connection between OUR indigenous past and OUR future.

51 is a striking difference from the pack that makes single digit guernsey numbers prized.

Let 51 stand as a new connector for our club, to both gesture to our past indigenous heroes and as an identifier to an enduring commitment to be a club that seeks to attract more of our first nation people.

bornadog
13-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Number 9. How could you forget Gilbs' number? It was Les Bamblett's number too.
Brain fade

boydogs
13-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Can't mention Buddy without Dermott Brereton who Buddy copied

Eastdog
13-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Number one pick. He should be able to choose any of the untaken numbers. His decision.

Yeah I’m with you as well on this B4L.

KT31
13-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Looks pretty good in this one to me.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/12/11/62466c90-a3aa-4968-830c-08d526a040dd/HERO_111220.jpg?width=1904&height=1184

Happy Days
14-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Looks pretty good in this one to me.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2020/12/11/62466c90-a3aa-4968-830c-08d526a040dd/HERO_111220.jpg?width=1904&height=1184

This picture is so weird. Who’s he even pointing at? Is it supposed to be himself?

comrade
14-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Suckers got paid for one more promotional gig before retiring.

Ozza
14-12-2020, 11:28 AM
No disrespect intended toward Magic, but he didn't even play 100 games for the dogs. Think its a real stretch to make is a legacy number.

1eyedog
14-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Feel we need a fresh start. No. 1 is available.