PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Dominic Bedendo to the Western Bulldogs

GVGjr
10-12-2020, 12:09 AM
After bidding on Brand and Western we can now welcome to the Kennel Dominic Bedendo

GVGjr
10-12-2020, 12:12 AM
Dominic Bedendo has a lot of the tools to be a damaging player, it is just about putting the pieces together to make it to the next level. Playing as a lightly-build medium forward, Bedendo has a huge vertical leap, great athleticism and a high endurance level that makes him a worry for opposition defenders. He is good above his head with his marking, and once he can add more muscle to his frame and become more consistent with his decision making, Bedendo will take the next step in his development.
187cm, 74kg

STRENGTHS:

Marking/Clean hands
Vertical leap
Athleticism
Endurance
Upside
Ground level work

IMPROVEMENTS:

Strength
Decision making
Consistency

Happy Days
10-12-2020, 12:12 AM
Good name for shouting.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 12:14 AM
POSITION: Medium Forward

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Bedendo is a raw and exciting forward who has elite athleticism and is just looking to build his overall game” – Peter Williams

Dominic Bedendo has a lot of the tools to be a damaging player, it is just about putting the pieces together to make it to the next level. Playing as a lightly-build medium forward, Bedendo has a huge vertical leap, great athleticism and a high endurance level that makes him a worry for opposition defenders. He is good above his head with his marking, and once he can add more muscle to his frame and become more consistent with his decision making, Bedendo will take the next step in his development.

STRENGTHS:

Marking/Clean hands
Vertical leap
Athleticism
Endurance
Upside
Ground level work

IMPROVEMENTS:

Strength
Decision making
Consistency

The Murray Bushrangers’ raw talent has plenty to like in the way he goes about it. When it comes to testing, there are few who are better that the medium forward, who is similar to Sandringham Dragons’ Archie Perkins in the way that he seems to excel at all the tests. He recorded a whopping 99cm running vertical jump and impressive 2.95-second 20m sprint (October Draft Combine) an 8.15-second agility test and a 21.2 yo-yo test (both preseason results) which are all considered elite across the board. What was most impressive was the fact he smashed his 3.07-second 20m sprint time, and even beat his 91cm running vertical jump from the preseason emphasising how much he had worked. His athletic traits, particularly his vertical leap, are shown in his game by his ability to rise above opponents and take strong, clean grabs. His marking is a clear strength of his, and he is able to use his athleticism to get to the right spots.

Bedendo is still learning areas of the game, with his decision making going inside 50 one of those areas. He went at 44.7 per cent by foot last season, but it was more about lowering the eyes than actual execution, aiming not to blaze away or rush the kick when he realises he has more time than he thinks. Likewise, weighing in at 74kg, Bedendo needs to add more kilograms to his frame in order to compete with stronger opponents, often knocked off the ball when he could not get a run and jump at it. When he could, then he would take it more often than not, and his ability to create space for himself and offer a lead caught the eye.

When talking about raw prospects, the other side of the coin is upside. Bedendo certainly has it, because he has already shown enough to earn an AFL Draft Combine invite, and despite having areas of improvement to work on, he has a strong foundation for AFL clubs to base their development off. He will be a winner on the track without a doubt, and it will be spending time in the gym and then working closely with coaches to continue his development. He has certainly come on in leaps and bounds at the Bushrangers, and it would have been fantastic to see him with another season under his belt at NAB League level. Regardless, Bedendo did himself no harm by establishing himself in the Bushrangers team in his bottom-age year, and gave spectators glimpses of what he could offer in the future.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Rookie

Bedendo is a raw prospect with a number of areas to work on, so it would be anticipated he is viewed as a long-term prospect. As already mentioned he has the tools to succeed at the top level, it will be about whether or not clubs see him as a player they can develop into a mould they are looking for. He gets a huge tick for his athleticism and upside, and now it is about honing in on his areas of improvement and looking to build them up to be more consistent across the board.

bornadog
10-12-2020, 12:15 AM
Welcome aboard and all the best in the RWB

GVGjr
10-12-2020, 12:16 AM
The from Chris Doerre

Western Bulldogs pick 55 = Dominic Bedendo. A high leaping forward, with strong aerial marking and contested marking capabilities. Beyond being a leaper, Bedendo is an impressive all-around athlete, combining this with excellent endurance and speed. #AFLDraft #WesternBulldogs

We've gone all in on pacy forwards and big marking forwards, perhaps Bedendo if a replacement for Fergus Greene

KT31
10-12-2020, 12:19 AM
Welcome to the Dogs Dominic, hope you have a rewarding and successful career in the red,white and blue.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2020, 12:19 AM
Interesting selection.

Sounds like he's got a bit to work with.

Wonder what our thoughts are on a key defender and a small forward - both still a position of need.

KT31
10-12-2020, 12:21 AM
The from Chris Doerre

Western Bulldogs pick 55 = Dominic Bedendo. A high leaping forward, with strong aerial marking and contested marking capabilities. Beyond being a leaper, Bedendo is an impressive all-around athlete, combining this with excellent endurance and speed. #AFLDraft #WesternBulldogs

We've gone all in on pacy forwards and big marking forwards, perhaps Bedendo if a replacement for Fergus Greene

Could we see him swap ends and be a future replacement for Wood ?

bornadog
10-12-2020, 12:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eoy26-uVQAIM3Ys?format=jpg&name=medium

comrade
10-12-2020, 12:22 AM
Interesting selection.

Sounds like he's got a bit to work with.

Wonder what our thoughts are on a key defender and a small forward - both still a position of need.

We had a crack at both positions with our academy bids.

GVGjr
10-12-2020, 12:24 AM
Could we see him swap ends and be a future replacement for Wood ?

Big chance he could be groomed for that sort of role

Testekill
10-12-2020, 12:24 AM
He's certainly got an impressive looking athletic profile, might as well go all in on elite qualities when they were last seen as a 16 year old.

Eastdog
10-12-2020, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the Dogs Dominic Bedendo!

kruder
10-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Give me a player with x-factor and serious athletic ability in the 50's any day of the week rather than someone that is vanilla and works hard.mLiking the sounds of this one, we don't have many players with his athletic traits on the list.

comrade
10-12-2020, 12:43 AM
Give me a player with x-factor and serious athletic ability in the 50's any day of the week rather than someone that is vanilla and works hard.mLiking the sounds of this one, we don't have many players with his athletic traits on the list.

I’m sure we’ll try him in different roles at Footscray, very impressive athletic profile. Fingers crossed he can play footy!

jeemak
10-12-2020, 12:44 AM
He's certainly got an impressive looking athletic profile, might as well go all in on elite qualities when they were last seen as a 16 year old.

Yeah, agree with you. Seems the type of player who would likely evolve with more exposure in the elite pathway (I hate myself for posting that) and with his substantial athletic improvement (seriously, 0.2 seconds in the 20m sprint and 10% in the vertical jump) it looks like an OK pick.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:07 AM
Pick 43, country player, 187cm, huge leap, quick over 20m, athletic (Easton Wood)
Pick 55, country player, 187cm, huge leap, quick over 20m, athletic (Dom Bedendo)

I know who I’d have him buddy with. If we can pull it all together, Wood took a long time owing to injuries, those attributes can be handy in multiple spots. Not just where he played last year as a 17yo.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:17 AM
Pick 43, country player, 187cm, huge leap, quick over 20m, athletic (Easton Wood)
Pick 55, country player, 187cm, huge leap, quick over 20m, athletic (Dom Bedendo)

I know who I’d have him buddy with. If we can pull it all together, Wood took a long time owing to injuries, those attributes can be handy in multiple spots. Not just where he played last year as a 17yo.

Imagine a natural forward who attacks the footy in the air like Easton Wood did/does!

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:19 AM
Imagine a natural forward who attacks the footy in the air like Easton Wood did/does!

Is that a question about ‘the experiment’ two years ago that we all don’t talk about?

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:36 AM
Is that a question about ‘the experiment’ two years ago that we all don’t talk about?

Nope because I have no idea what you're talking about, you and your crazy memory. However, for the sake of the exercise Easton was never a natural forward so it was a genuine comment.

I actually think there's a huge place in the game for medium forwards who can contest in the air when their opponents are looking to help out their key defenders and spoil. Key forwards are getting better at nullifying two on one contests against, the next logical piece is whoever is left alone choosing the right moment to fly.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Nope because I have no idea what you're talking about, you and your crazy memory. However, for the sake of the exercise Easton was never a natural forward so it was a genuine comment.

I actually think there's a huge place in the game for medium forwards who can contest in the air when their opponents are looking to help out their key defenders and spoil. Key forwards are getting better at nullifying two on one contests against, the next logical piece is whoever is left alone choosing the right moment to fly.

It’s a little interesting we’ve gone with him, whilst cutting Greene, Gowers & demoting Cavarra. Wallis, Lloyd & Dale aren’t high flyers. So as you say, it seems we see something altogether different in him.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 01:50 AM
The club's put a vid of the lad up, the first mark he takes in it is pretty bloody special.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2020, 01:56 AM
The club's put a vid of the lad up, the first mark he takes in it is pretty bloody special.

Great leap and has innate ability to know when to time his jump and use his body. I’d guess those are the hardest things to teach, if you can. At 55, you’re looking for something to work with. That small sample shows the club thinks he has something to go with.

jeemak
10-12-2020, 02:27 AM
Great leap and has innate ability to know when to time his jump and use his body. I’d guess those are the hardest things to teach, if you can. At 55, you’re looking for something to work with. That small sample shows the club thinks he has something to go with.

If I was a list manager (and thank Christ I'm not given I nearly threw Dunkley away in your absence) he's the type of player I'd be looking at for a late pick in this particular draft given the circumstances of no footy being played. As we've said, massive improvement in athletic testing, and again as you say, innate abilities to form a base around.

He's the least vanilla player we've taken for a while.

Vred
10-12-2020, 04:44 AM
Like the look of this kid, interesting selection but his jumping is great, and looks to have some real x factor about him.

Welcome to the club

dog town
10-12-2020, 05:28 AM
Looking at the highlights you would try to develop him as an intercept defender. Seems to mark it better when it’s nearly past him than he does in front of the eyes but would need to watch a few games. With Naughton forward we are a little way off the pace for intercepting defenders compared to the top clubs so I hope we are looking at this.

The Doctor
10-12-2020, 07:24 AM

Aaahhh Bedendo you beauty!

The Doctor
10-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Looking at the highlights you would try to develop him as an intercept defender. Seems to mark it better when it’s nearly past him than he does in front of the eyes but would need to watch a few games. With Naughton forward we are a little way off the pace for intercepting defenders compared to the top clubs so I hope we are looking at this.

On the club website it mentions him as a potential intercept defender in comparison to Jeremy Howe

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/842363/2020-draft-pick-55-dominic-bedendo

SquirrelGrip
10-12-2020, 08:18 AM

BT, that is the Macbeth of this board. We speak not of it here.

Go_Dogs
10-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Like this pick a lot. Shoot for the stars and see how it goes at this range.

Athletic, good size, medium forward who we could groom as a defender. With his pace and size, could also spend time in the middle. Someone delete that actually before Bevo sees...

comrade
10-12-2020, 08:20 AM
I think we should give him #64.

jazzadogs
10-12-2020, 08:24 AM
His leap definitely surprised his opponents a bit in that clip, like he got an extra few centimetres even when jumping on the lead.

You can definitely see the Howe comparisons (he started as a forward at the Dees didn't he?), and Wood. We would have a fair bit of firepower in the air if Naughton, JUH and Bedendo all develop into best 22 forwards!

Twodogs
10-12-2020, 10:50 AM

And you guys think that I'm crazy because I still haven't given up on my dreams of being drafted even though I'm 56.

Aaahhh Bedendo you beauty!

See. Being 56 I know what you're talking about.

BT, that is the Macbeth of this board. We speak not of it here.

Ah yes. The Scottish experiment.

Mofra
10-12-2020, 11:23 AM
He's the first kid we ever drafted to have ABBA write a hit song about him

The Pie Man
10-12-2020, 11:41 AM
He's the first kid we ever drafted to have ABBA write a hit song about him

To borrow from an old chant...

‘You were awesome in the air tonight, your hair looks nice, Bedendo’

Twodogs
10-12-2020, 11:51 AM
To borrow from an old chant...

‘You were awesome in the air tonight, your hair looks nice, Bedendo’

There was something in my hair that night it was Vegemite, Bedendo.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Seems like good entertainment value, a possible star.

ledge
11-12-2020, 06:49 AM
A bloke I worked with who played at Footscray and plays at Myrtleford now, rates him as a great mark and said he will give X factor for sure.
Also mentioned he is a great kid too

The Adelaide Connection
14-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Just read an article that mentioned he was JUH’s Vic Country room mate.

Could also be a bonus Sam Reid/Callan Ward type situation.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/843441/bedendo-s-sleepless-night-after-draft-delight

bulldogtragic
14-12-2020, 10:44 AM
Just read an article that mentioned he was JUH’s Vic Country room mate.

Could also be a bonus Sam Reid/Callan Ward type situation.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/843441/bedendo-s-sleepless-night-after-draft-delight

They both end up at GWS?

The Adelaide Connection
14-12-2020, 12:33 PM
They both end up at GWS?

*spits out coffee

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Nice piece of him up on the website.

Speaks really well, obviously a hard worker and even from the clips you can see how athletic and rangey he is. Reminds me a bit of Dustin Fletcher with the long limbs.

comrade
17-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Nice piece of him up on the website.

Speaks really well, obviously a hard worker and even from the clips you can see how athletic and rangey he is. Reminds me a bit of Dustin Fletcher with the long limbs.

Has some serious hops. Getting some Easton Wood vibes.

Dry Rot
17-12-2020, 10:39 PM
From the vid, looks like we were really into him.

Smads57
18-12-2020, 05:57 PM
Does anyone else like his height (together with his jump)? Hope he develops - could well be a rangy wingman amongst other options.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 12:57 PM
Quietly doing his thing.

9.2 in his first five games.

The Pie Man
08-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Is it just me or has young Dominic put on some serious weight this off season?

GVGjr
08-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Is it just me or has young Dominic put on some serious weight this off season?

We have a very good fitness department and we normally see some encouraging physical development early with our younger group.

Mofra
08-11-2021, 04:55 PM
We have a very good fitness department and we normally see some encouraging physical development early with our younger group.
To the naked eye he has an enormous spring which suggest he's genetically 'blessed'. That would certainly count in his favour. That role-playing mid-sized forward is in vogue at AFL level, and there is some suggestion he's up to the 193cm mark now?

He may well end up a really good size for that 3rd/4th forward role.

Twodogs
08-11-2021, 07:54 PM
To the naked eye he has an enormous spring which suggest he's genetically 'blessed'. That would certainly count in his favour. That role-playing mid-sized forward is in vogue at AFL level, and there is some suggestion he's up to the 193cm mark now?

He's a good shot at goal too.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2021, 07:45 AM

Loving this news. Just what we need.

GVGjr
21-11-2021, 10:35 AM

We may also be able to groom him to play as a defender as we did bid on a tall defender (Cody Brand) before calling his name.
With his athleticism traits at the draft camp last year that included a 99cm running vertical jump which was elite, and a quickish 2.95 seconds for the 20 metres I'd suggest he can play a few roles for us.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Bedendo really reminds me of Fritsch on the limited I've seen.

Twodogs
21-11-2021, 01:42 PM

Yep. Good call. He has a lot of Bailey Fritsch about him.

EasternWest
21-11-2021, 03:57 PM

Fritsch is a gun in their system. If we can get half of that out of Bedendo we'll be well served.

Testekill
28-11-2021, 06:32 PM
Bedendo was very raw when he came in but he finished off the year very well. Another preseason under his belt and a little more size so that he can mix it up with the mature bodies and he'll be dangerous.

Hopefully we're set on him as a forward since Cleary & Raak would be similar players in defense and Parker looks like he's earmarked to play wing.

Twodogs
28-11-2021, 08:52 PM
Bedendo was very raw when he came in but he finished off the year very well. Another preseason under his belt and a little more size so that he can mix it up with the mature bodies and he'll be dangerous.

Hopefully we're set on him as a forward since Cleary & Raak would be similar players in defense and Parker looks like he's earmarked to play wing.

Watching his in the VFL it looks like Bedendo has that priceless ability to lose his opponent and find lots of space in the forward line and makes the most of each touch he gets.

Testekill
01-12-2021, 09:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lSvUFTI.png

Dominic is bulking up well

FrediKanoute
02-12-2021, 01:27 AM
This kid could be a surprise packet. Looking forward to seeing how he goes year 2

bornadog
07-12-2021, 03:23 PM
season 1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF-WgLmUcAAsmo5?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
07-12-2021, 03:23 PM
Season 2

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF-WgLlVcAYfATs?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
28-06-2022, 03:44 PM
Good luck to Dom in his first game.

Western Bulldogs utility Dom Bedendo will make his AFL debut on Thursday night against Brisbane.It is a welcomed reward for the 19-year-old, who has put in a mountain of work with Footscray in the VFL to ready himself for a senior opportunity.

From his nine state-league matches this year, he has slotted six goals while averaging 14 disposals, five marks and two tackles, with development manager Jamie Maddocks breaking the news to the playing group after their Tuesday morning training session.

"I can't really explain how I'm feeling - I'm just buzzing. I can't fathom what's happening right now, but can't wait," Bedendo said.

"The longer I've waited the more I've wanted it, so now that it's finally happening it's just pure joy. I've been improving while working on the things I need to work on, so the VFL program and all the coaches there have helped me so much.

"I love the boys here - there isn't a better feeling at the moment. I'm just so grateful for the opportunity."

Known for his aerial and contested marking, athleticism and endurance, the Myrtleford teenager has the ability to play on the wing or up forward.

Bedendo was selected with pick 55 in the 2020 National Draft from the Murray Bushrangers.

He becomes the Bulldogs’ third debutant in 2022, joining Luke Cleary and Robbie McComb.

Bedendo is fresh off signing a new contract (https://aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westernbulldogs.com.au%2Fnews%2F11542 26%2Ftrio-re-sign-at-the-bulldogs&data=05%7C01%7Cbrooke.varney%40westernbulldogs.com.au%7C4066 456b4181422634ef08da58a80764%7Ceb8db29a6c0d410a9dfaf33bd581e d30%7C0%7C0%7C637919775939228176%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJ WIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0 %3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Aw0TjyEx1Ru%2BUqvBZMQYXZS6IvYWklrb8Y8hnOsKNtk%3D&reserved=0) to keep him at VU Whitten Oval until at least the end of the 2023 season.

GVGjr
28-06-2022, 03:46 PM
I saw the call he made to his mother, she took a bit of convincing :)

bornadog
28-06-2022, 03:53 PM
I saw the call he made to his mother, she took a bit of convincing :)

sere here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1159603/dom-dials-home?videoId=1159603&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1656390251001)

Smads57
28-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Really pleased to see him get a gig - he will bring enthusiasm and athleticism to the bigger AFL stage that's for sure!

bornadog
28-06-2022, 04:13 PM
Really pleased to see him get a gig - he will bring enthusiasm and athleticism to the bigger AFL stage that's for sure!

Where do you see him playing Smads57

Eastdog
28-06-2022, 04:13 PM
Good luck Dom!

Bulldog4life
28-06-2022, 04:45 PM
Terrific news. Seen him play in the VFL looks very promising. Go well son.

Smads57
28-06-2022, 04:48 PM
Where do you see him playing Smads57

In the VFL last season Dom played mostly on the HF line and was in and out of the game which is (generally) what happens to players in that role. What I did like about his play last year was his ability to kick goals when in the right position and being a good overhead mark (with a full extension).

This year, his move to the wing has seen him more involved in the each game he has played. If you compare his first VFL game this year to his two most recent VFL games, you can see the progression in his ball play - now having the belief to demand the ball in his role as an 'outside' player and still kicking goals (a la JJ).

Logically then, he plays on a wing this week (however does this mean McComb is dropped and Hunter spends another week in the twos?)

I don't see him replacing Richards at HB as in my opinion, Dom doesn't have the defensive traits that position warrants (but i'm not Bevo!).

The only concern I have with him (and I have mentioned this in a VFL thread) is his tendency, when he 'plays on' (which he likes doing), to just 'kick the ball to a contest' and potentially turn over the ball. You can almost see his hesitation when he steps past his marker, as to where he should place his kick.

I'm pleased to see him get a chance this week - I'll maintain he has early signs of being a Jeremy Howe clone.

NB - hoping that last statement doesn't place a mozz on the kid!

Bulldog4life
28-06-2022, 05:02 PM
In the VFL last season Dom played mostly on the HF line and was in and out of the game which is (generally) what happens to players in that role. What I did like about his play last year was his ability to kick goals when in the right position and being a good overhead mark (with a full extension).

This year, his move to the wing has seen him more involved in the each game he has played. If you compare his first VFL game this year to his two most recent VFL games, you can see the progression in his ball play - now having the belief to demand the ball in his role as an 'outside' player and still kicking goals (a la JJ).

Logically then, he plays on a wing this week (however does this mean McComb is dropped and Hunter spends another week in the twos?)

I don't see him replacing Richards at HB as in my opinion, Dom doesn't have the defensive traits that position warrants (but i'm not Bevo!).

The only concern I have with him (and I have mentioned this in a VFL thread) is his tendency, when he 'plays on' (which he likes doing), to just 'kick the ball to a contest' and potentially turn over the ball. You can almost see his hesitation when he steps past his marker, as to where he should place his kick.

I'm pleased to see him get a chance this week - I'll maintain he has early signs of being a Jeremy Howe clone.

NB - hoping that last statement doesn't place a mozz on the kid!

Funny you say that Smads I read he was going to play as an intercept defender for the Murray Bushrangers before the 2020 season was called off.

josie
28-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Congrats Dom. Enjoyed watching your silky form in VFL. All the best with your debut.

Hotdog60
28-06-2022, 06:33 PM
Can you hear the drums Bedendo :)

azabob
28-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Seems his nickname is Bender (as in 3 day bender).

Go well young man.

Hotdog60
28-06-2022, 09:46 PM
https://c.tenor.com/cs0KmBfnVYQAAAAd/abell46s-reface.gif

HOSE B ROMERO
02-07-2022, 12:45 PM
Can you hear the drums Bedendo :)

Bedendo has his own song on The Coodabeens! After only one game. To the tune of Fernando. Are you behind this HotDog??

Hotdog60
02-07-2022, 01:07 PM
No I'm not but I so I have a go at them for sealing my idea. :)

kruder
02-07-2022, 05:27 PM
Reminds me of Easton Wood in his athletic traits and the fact he isn't a natural footballer, will take more time. He will be worth the wait this kid.

GVGjr
10-12-2023, 08:15 PM
This is worth a watch, a very touching story

https://twitter.com/i/status/1733756511082414581

bornadog
10-12-2023, 08:48 PM

Thanks, terrific story and hope he makes it.

jeemak
10-12-2023, 08:54 PM

That's honesty right there, and very gutsy from him and his family to bring that to light as there's a stigma around people not being able to put a roof over their heads.

We're living through a period where one in three people are experiencing food insecurity, and housing stress is at an all time high. Stories like this help bring the struggles to light, when politicians and the media overly concern themselves with gender and identity politics or whatever to help their sponsors and donors avoid sacrificing some of the record sized portions of the pie they're currently feasting on.

weltschmerz
10-12-2023, 09:04 PM
Knowing Dom's past could shine a bit of a light on a few things. He was VERY skinny when he was drafted, and he bulked up quite quickly given where he started. I wonder if he was finally able to afford the protein he needed to add mass.

angelopetraglia
10-12-2023, 09:55 PM
Simply staggering he made it onto a list from those difficult situations. Shows a lot of tenacity and grit. Gee whiz, I really hope this kid makes it.

angelopetraglia
10-12-2023, 09:59 PM
That's honesty right there, and very gutsy from him and his family to bring that to light as there's a stigma around people not being able to put a roof over their heads.

We're living through a period where one in three people are experiencing food insecurity, and housing stress is at an all time high. Stories like this help bring the struggles to light, when politicians and the media overly concern themselves with gender and identity politics or whatever to help their sponsors and donors avoid sacrificing some of the record sized portions of the pie they're currently feasting on.

Yes. Well said. It would be great to see people (and especially our leaders) focus on what actually makes a difference and moves the needle rather than the constant focus on how they will be percieved.

Eastdog
10-12-2023, 10:30 PM
An inspirational story. From humble beginnings making it to the AFL. I hope Dom succeeds with us.

You can achieve things as long as you put in the work and put your mind to it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-12-2023, 10:59 PM

A brilliant interview tonight on the Channel 9 News. A remarkable achievement to make League football from such a humble background. I met him and his family on arrival at the WB. Has been enjoying a brilliant early preseason winning the time trials.
Would be great to see him become a star in 2024.

jazzadogs
10-12-2023, 11:08 PM

Fantastic for him and his mum to have his AFL contract, hopefully he can keep up his early pre season form and make it a lengthy career.

Also a reminder of how horrible homelessness can be, how widespread it is, and how wide-sweeping it can be in its targets.

Also I struggle to just sit back and watch nepo baby Xander with his prime time news gig.

josie
11-12-2023, 01:29 AM
Having watched Dom in VFL I was already a fan. After watching that heartwarming story I’ll be buying a Bedendo badge and barracking even louder for him to succeed.

jeemak
11-12-2023, 02:34 AM
Fantastic for him and his mum to have his AFL contract, hopefully he can keep up his early pre season form and make it a lengthy career.

Also a reminder of how horrible homelessness can be, how widespread it is, and how wide-sweeping it can be in its targets.

Also I struggle to just sit back and watch nepo baby Xander with his prime time news gig.

Sorry, I don't know who Xander is. The only guy I know who has earned his spot on prime time TV is Shervo because he has a massive dong.........so I'm told, because I've just always thought he was really talented.

jazzadogs
11-12-2023, 07:54 AM
Sorry, I don't know who Xander is. The only guy I know who has earned his spot on prime time TV is Shervo because he has a massive dong.........so I'm told, because I've just always thought he was really talented.

He is Eddie McGuire's son. All down to hard work and determination I'm sure. How many 20 year old sports reporters are there?

angelopetraglia
11-12-2023, 08:29 AM

The irony was not lost on me either.

azabob
11-12-2023, 08:50 AM
Kudos to Dom for speaking so open and honestly.

Not much more else I can add.

Sedat
11-12-2023, 11:12 AM
The only guy I know who has earned his spot on prime time TV is Shervo because he has a massive dong.........so I'm told, because I've just always thought he was really talented.
Hehe, good old Tripod. If the 100m finishing tape was located at hip height instead of chest height, he might have given Usain Bolt a run for his money.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-12-2023, 12:18 PM
Kudos to Dom for speaking so open and honestly.

Not much more else I can add.

I really want Dom to make it with us in AFL. Whatever else happens, he's already shown he's made it in life.
Such strength of character, which I think counts for something when the club is considering whether to persevere with you or move on.

Glad he's got another chance, and I hope injuries don't prevent him from giving footy his best chance.

DISHLICKERS
11-12-2023, 02:40 PM
For an interview like it was that was as raw and honest as they come.

at least it seems he has resilience will assist him going forward

Hoping and I do think he will make it.

macca
12-12-2023, 12:22 AM
After watching that interview and his tough background, I want this kid to make it. His got perserverance and resiliency written as part of his life story.
Keep the kid injury free and he could become anything.