PDA

View Full Version : Varcoe appointed as a development coach

ledge
16-12-2020, 02:04 PM
Great pick up to help with the indigenous, he mentions working with JUH.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/844394?fbclid=IwAR1-E6vYpJ_nQAtcBpeld6CHuIJmyC-Orhz2qnHT_AK4LbKHo_KnzSTcIYk

Mofra
16-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Experience in grand finals in two different club systems.
Not sure of his coaching chops but from an experience viewpoint and having only recently retired helps with perspective.

Rocket Science
16-12-2020, 02:26 PM
This is excellent news.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-12-2020, 02:28 PM
Good selection.

I didn't realise he had played 230 games - fair effort.

GVGjr
16-12-2020, 02:39 PM
Seems like a solid appointment. Well done to the club

bornadog
16-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Great to bring some new blood in.

I love this part:

As part of the role, he will also act as a mentor to newly-recruited Indigenous youngster Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, and will be involved in the Club’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities and Western Bulldogs Community Foundation programs.

comrade
16-12-2020, 02:57 PM
Besides the indigenous connection for Jamarra, a fresh face amongst the coaching group can only be a good thing.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2020, 03:26 PM
I’d assume he and Treloar would be on good terms too.

Buckley: Adam all of the senior players don’t want to be around you
Treloar: I’m off to the dogs then
Guy: Here’s $1.5m Adam, good luck
Varcoe: AT hold the elevator. This coaching contract offer I’ve got at Collingwood I’ve just read is ‘back ended’. Are the dogs ‘cash up front’ people? Any chance of helping a fellow 2020 senior player out?
Treloar: Come with me, I’ll introduce you to Bevo. And all the senior players who want me there. And yeah, cash up front.

soupman
16-12-2020, 03:29 PM
This seems like a positive appointment. Good varied experience at two successful clubs, fresh eyes to our setup, seemed to be a good operator as a player, and helps add to our indigenous representation.

ledge
16-12-2020, 05:42 PM
This seems like a positive appointment. Good varied experience at two successful clubs, fresh eyes to our setup, seemed to be a good operator as a player, and helps add to our indigenous representation.

He will be a superb coach for a burst player , I always said he was good for a qtr a game.
Wouldn’t sight him for three but the qtr he showed up he was very good.
But seriously I’m very happy he is on board and can only strengthen our indigenous side.

jazzadogs
16-12-2020, 06:11 PM
Travis is a really solid appointment.

I work in special education and we often have AFL players visit, and he interacted so wonderfully with our students when he came. Kind, respectful and engaging. I also had a chat with him as he was battling injuries and I remember being struck by how strong he was on mental health - that it's just a game, that being injured for a few weeks is an inconvenience and his life was still very good, that sort of vibe.

Glad to have him on board at the Dogs, and think he will be a positive influence on all who he works with.

1eyedog
16-12-2020, 06:41 PM
Brought in for JUH. Great bloke, very humble have met him a few times.

Twodogs
16-12-2020, 06:51 PM
Travis is a really solid appointment.

I work in special education and we often have AFL players visit, and he interacted so wonderfully with our students when he came. Kind, respectful and engaging. I also had a chat with him as he was battling injuries and I remember being struck by how strong he was on mental health - that it's just a game, that being injured for a few weeks is an inconvenience and his life was still very good, that sort of vibe.

Glad to have him on board at the Dogs, and think he will be a positive influence on all who he works with.

I found my calling via special ed. I was doing an education degree and ended up doing my teaching rounds at a special ed school and decided that I wanted to work in the disability field more than teach (I don't know that I ever really wanted to be a teacher)while I was there. More than 20 years later I still love it.

Sedat
16-12-2020, 08:00 PM
It feels like forever since we have seen a genuinely fresh face from another club system join our coaching team - perhaps Joel Corey was the last one? Good to see and hopefully he can bring in some different perspectives from his experiences outside the kennel that will compliment what we have been doing inside the four walls.

bornadog
16-12-2020, 11:57 PM
It feels like forever since we have seen a genuinely fresh face from another club system join our coaching team - perhaps Joel Corey was the last one? Good to see and hopefully he can bring in some different perspectives from his experiences outside the kennel that will compliment what we have been doing inside the four walls.

Jamie Maddocks - his boss

Vred
17-12-2020, 03:02 AM
Great pick up to help with the indigenous, he mentions working with JUH.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/844394?fbclid=IwAR1-E6vYpJ_nQAtcBpeld6CHuIJmyC-Orhz2qnHT_AK4LbKHo_KnzSTcIYk

Great pick up, and even better we have new fresh faces at the club. Lot of my Collingwood mates are salty we've picked him up, so that's a good sign already.

FrediKanoute
17-12-2020, 03:37 AM
Echo sentiments, he is a welcome addition.

jeemak
17-12-2020, 04:12 AM
That run in the 2011 GF..........one of the best GF moments I've seen live.

For some reason he just always seemed like a bit of an outsider, never central to the major plans on the day. However he always seemed to have an impact and was never vanilla in what he delivered. We've been way too vanilla in the way we do things recently, hopefully he can help shake us out of that and at the same time make role players just a bit better than what they think they can be.

2018 Opener - please teach this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-KHDSVHVE

Also, if you can teach the opener from the 2011 GF that would be a huge bonus. Cheers, freak.

whythelongface
17-12-2020, 08:55 AM
Smart move.
Always liked him as a player. Glad he is at our club now. Hoping with his appointment and the recruitment of JUH we become a destination club for indigenous players.

Mofra
17-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Coming from Collingwood, I assume they're paying part of his salary too ;)

Twodogs
17-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Coming from Collingwood, I assume they're paying part of his salary too ;)

They are but we can't agree how much.

ledge
17-12-2020, 03:57 PM
They are but we can't agree how much.

They are getting a ham sandwich in return.

azabob
17-12-2020, 07:22 PM
Jamie Maddocks - his boss

What AFL system is he from?

Twodogs
17-12-2020, 07:59 PM
They are getting a ham sandwich in return.

If it's from Barker's cafe it will be pretty expensive.

macca
17-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Please Travis Please help on the kicking skills side . From what I recall he was a pretty good kick.
Really happy with this appointment and welcome to the club.

bornadog
17-12-2020, 09:50 PM
What AFL system is he from?

Here is his bio here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/teams/afl/football-department/jamie-maddocks)

Doesn't matter does it that he is not from AFL team - well that is what many said about Noble and Fagan. ;)

jeemak
18-12-2020, 02:39 AM
Here is his bio here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/teams/afl/football-department/jamie-maddocks)

Doesn't matter does it that he is not from AFL team - well that is what many said about Noble and Fagan. ;)

Don't forget Bolton.

Axe Man
18-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Noble did play AFL though, even if it was only 2 games.

azabob
18-12-2020, 01:34 PM

I didn't realise he was involved in U18's. thanks.

divvydan
18-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Also looks like Maddocks was one of Bevo's players for the 3peat in the VAFA.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Welcome Travis Varcoe, great to share the Bulldogs future with you.

Scraggers
04-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Is it true Travis Varcoe is on that reality show, I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here?

If so, how do people feel about that?

GVGjr
04-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Is it true Travis Varcoe is on that reality show, I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here?

I've never watch the show but I have no real opinion on if he should be apart of it.
I would have thought it would get in the way of his duties with us but I guess the club would have approved it

jazzadogs
04-01-2021, 11:41 AM
It's already been recorded in November, which I think was prior to him being employed with us, and I'm sure the club were aware of it. I don't have any issues with it.

GVGjr
04-01-2021, 11:41 AM
It's already been recorded in November, which I think was prior to him being employed with us, and I'm sure the club were aware of it. I don't have any issues with it.

Thanks for the clarification

MrMahatma
04-01-2021, 02:39 PM
Good on him.

I don’t watch it but profile can be important in post-footy. Hope he wins!

Axe Man
06-01-2021, 11:43 AM
From the bits of the show I have seen Travis comes across as a really good guy.

Former AFL star Travis Varcoe says ‘a lot of players’ hated life in the hub (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/former-afl-star-travis-varcoe-says-a-lot-of-players-hated-life-in-the-hub/news-story/f845edca2ffc65accaffdb098f6c3cbc)

Former footy star Travis Varcoe says “a lot of players” hated life in the AFL quarantine hub.

Varcoe, who is competing on the Channel 10’s I’m A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Of Here, made the hub confession on the show on Monday night.

The former Geelong and Collingwood star said: “The hub was 24-7. It was actually quite hard living in the actual hub itself because I’m not one bit footy driven.

“Some players loved it, breathed it, and they excelled. But a lot of players hated it. I, personally, really struggled.”

Varcoe retired from AFL in 2020 after a 15-year career, and has joined the Western Bulldogs as an AFL development coach for the 2021 season.

Asked what it was like to play in a Grand Final, Varcoe, a two time premiership player, said: “I loved running out, hearing the energy and the roar. It’s unbelievable. I’m of the mindset, ‘This might never happen again, so just enjoy it.’”

Varcoe is outspoken about racist slurs aimed at Indigenous players by footy fans, and has campaigned for change.

“When you get into this caper of work, you grow a thick skin, but your friends, family and loved ones are not as strong as you are,” he told the Herald Sun in 2019.

“It’s very disheartening. No one should be treated like that, no matter if you’re Aboriginal or what your heritage is.”

EasternWest
12-01-2021, 12:30 PM

My partner and our oldest kid watch the show and so I am forced to endure it.

It's highly edited etc etc but it's certainly painting him in a positive light. He always seemed like he'd be a good bloke to me and he comes across as affable, sensitive and a good family man.