View Full Version : Injury List - 2021

Pages : [1] 2 3

bornadog
18-12-2020, 03:27 PM
Injury related thread for 2021.

Mods please sticky.

bornadog
18-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Riley Garcia unfortunately suffered knee injury in very last session of year.

Lucky Scans have confirmed he Jarred the knee but scans reveal ACL intact. Will be ok with a bit of rest.

jeemak
18-12-2020, 03:34 PM
That's a relief.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-12-2020, 04:04 PM
I know nothing about these sort of injuries but does this point to persistent knee issues for Riley?

GVGjr
14-01-2021, 03:22 PM
3 players on our injured list at the moment

McLean with his knee injury.
Hannan with a groin injury.
Garcia with a set back with his knee and it's a slow 6 to 8 week challenge with his progress being monitored

comrade
14-01-2021, 03:29 PM
3 players on our injured list at the moment

McLean with his knee injury.
Hannan with a groin injury.
Garcia with a set back with his knee and it's a slow 6 to 8 week challenge with his progress being monitored

Some footage showed Hannan on the bike away from the group so not surprised to hear he's injured. Not a great start for him, coming back a bit heavy and now dealing with the groin.

Hotdog60
14-01-2021, 07:18 PM
I feel for Garcia his career could be over before it started.
Ominous words by Bell “At this stage, we’re going to gradually progress Riley over the next six-to-eight weeks to get a gauge of how his knee is handling our football program.”

comrade
14-01-2021, 08:31 PM
I feel for Garcia his career could be over before it started.
Ominous words by Bell “At this stage, we’re going to gradually progress Riley over the next six-to-eight weeks to get a gauge of how his knee is handling our football program.”

He jarred his knee in the last session before Christmas.

The Adelaide Connection
15-01-2021, 12:07 AM
He jarred his knee in the last session before Christmas.

Hopefully it is not as catastrophic as the last bloke we had do that. The memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but did it pretty much put a line through Darcy’s career?

Axe Man
22-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Josh Schache injury update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/852752/josh-schache-injury-update)

Key forward Josh Schache sustained an ankle ligament injury during Friday’s match simulation session at training.

Scans have cleared the 23-year-old of any bone damage.

Schache’s management plan and return to play timeframe will become clearer over the coming days, once his ankle swelling improves.

1eyedog
22-01-2021, 05:54 PM
Bloody hell may struggle to play the lead in games. Puts him on the back foot in his last year. Hopefully only a 4-weeker. Devo.

bornadog
22-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Coming along nicely:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsUJUM9UwA0Efcu?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
25-01-2021, 05:41 PM
Stevo reporting: Josh Schache ankle only the lower end of scale. Likely to miss 2-3 weeks of training.

Mantis
10-02-2021, 10:55 AM
Easton Wood injured his hamstring (low grade) on Monday. WB website reports he will work back into full training over the next 3-4 weeks.

comrade
10-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Easton Wood injured his hamstring (low grade) on Monday. WB website reports he will work back into full training over the next 3-4 weeks.

Shame for Easton but I'll never understand why we signed him on a multiple year deal at 30+ years old with his history of soft tissue issues.

Axe Man
10-02-2021, 02:56 PM
Shame for Easton but I'll never understand why we signed him on a multiple year deal at 30+ years old with his history of soft tissue issues.

Agreed and quite a few of us expressed this view at the time.

Nothing wrong with year to year contracts for players over 30 who aren't in the top echelon. Hopefully it is just a blip but if he has 2 significantly injury affected seasons the decision to grant him a second year is going to look silly.

bornadog
10-02-2021, 03:01 PM
Agreed and quite a few of us expressed this view at the time.

Nothing wrong with year to year contracts for players over 30 who aren't in the top echelon. Hopefully it is just a blip but if he has 2 significantly injury affected seasons the decision to grant him a second year is going to look silly.

nah, he deserves two years. Premiership Captain, now a legend of the club.

Axe Man
10-02-2021, 04:12 PM
nah, he deserves two years. Premiership Captain, now a legend of the club.

Completely disagree. Nothing to do with deserving it. Let's not forget he has just come off a long term lucrative contract, it's not like he hasn't been well rewarded already.

Let's say Libba makes it through another couple of years and goes again but with a knee held together with duct tape, would you be happy to give him another 2 years just because he is a premiership player and a legend of the club?

Increasingly you will find players making decisions entirely in their own best interests like Dunkley. You obviously don't want to make decisions that get the playing group offside but ultimately you have to do what is best for the club.

List management requires tough calls, there is no room for sentiment (although I don't even think this was a tough call - it is pretty standard across the league for a player of Easton's age, injury history and standing within the team - no longer an automatic pick, to receive year to year contracts).

soupman
10-02-2021, 04:34 PM
Even if Easton sat the whole year out with hamstring issues I suspect we'd still sign him up for 2022 if he wasn't already. We are the same club that gave Picken an extra year despite him not being able to turn the lights on in his house his concussion issues were that bad. This just saves us the time of having to negotiate another contract.

Besides, if a 30 year old medium defender that is arguably not even best 22 any more and has a long history of soft tissue injuries and who hasn't excelled playing his natural game for at least 3 years isn't worthy of a 2 year contract, who is?

GVGjr
10-02-2021, 05:56 PM
List management requires tough calls, there is no room for sentiment (although I don't even think this was a tough call - it is pretty standard across the league for a player of Easton's age, injury history and standing within the team - no longer an automatic pick, to receive year to year contracts).

In terms of list management we should be well past the time about caring if players were part of our 2016 premiership and we should just make sound list management decisions. To say he is a legend or a premiership captain and that he deserved a multi year deal because of that is the recipe for below required performances.

bornadog
10-02-2021, 06:09 PM
Completely disagree. Nothing to do with deserving it. Let's not forget he has just come off a long term lucrative contract, it's not like he hasn't been well rewarded already.

Let's say Libba makes it through another couple of years and goes again but with a knee held together with duct tape, would you be happy to give him another 2 years just because he is a premiership player and a legend of the club?

Increasingly you will find players making decisions entirely in their own best interests like Dunkley. You obviously don't want to make decisions that get the playing group offside but ultimately you have to do what is best for the club.

In the past 30 was over the hill and I too called for players to be not given extensions etc, but these days players are super fit. We need Wood's experience in the backline as we don't have many down there.

I am happy he gets his two years, but yes could end up a big bust.

GVGjr
11-02-2021, 11:00 AM
In the past 30 was over the hill and I too called for players to be not given extensions etc, but these days players are super fit. We need Wood's experience in the backline as we don't have many down there.

I am happy he gets his two years, but yes could end up a big bust.

Yet suggestions that we were interested in Isaac Smith were shot down due to his age and even given his performances have been of a high standard.

bornadog
11-02-2021, 11:07 AM
Yet suggestions that we were interested in Isaac Smith were shot down due to his age and even given his performances have been of a high standard.

He wasn't a player we needed.

GVGjr
11-02-2021, 02:12 PM
He wasn't a player we needed.

Because of his age if I remember correctly

bornadog
11-02-2021, 02:40 PM
Because of his age if I remember correctly

Yes, I prefer to give young kids a go unless there is a need like Stefan Martin and long term players like Wood who are needed for their leadership. AS long as they can still contribute to the team. Isaac Smith is not who we needed.

GVGjr
11-02-2021, 04:11 PM
Yes, I prefer to give young kids a go unless there is a need like Stefan Martin and long term players like Wood who are needed for their leadership. AS long as they can still contribute to the team. Isaac Smith is not who we needed.

But I thought players were fitter now than ever and that has extended their careers?
You keep saying Smith wasn't what we needed but at the time it was because of his age. I do get confused with the moving bornadog WAH logic

bornadog
11-02-2021, 04:39 PM
But I thought players were fitter now than ever and that has extended their careers?
You keep saying Smith wasn't what we needed but at the time it was because of his age. I do get confused with the moving bornadog WAH logic

Let me put it another way:

Trading in players where we will only get a couple of years for them should be done only if we need them. Stefan Martin is the player we needed to help in the ruck and mentor Tim. So at age 34, I am not too worried.

Smith wasn't a player we needed and therefore at his age ie 31 years old, no point in bringing him in just for a couple of seasons, when we can cover his role.

If he was say 25 and a gun then you can't have too many good players and go for it. I don't rate Smith as a gun, we didn't need him at age 31.

Yes they are fitter at 30 plus, but we need to look after our 30 year olds as they provide the leadership.

Pretty simple really.

EasternWest
11-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Let me pout it another way:

Great Freudian slip.

bornadog
19-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Injury update here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/864634/medical-room-wood-treloar-and-hannan?videoId=864634&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1613698552001)

bornadog
23-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Treloar will be ready for round 1 according to this (https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1364120620267577348)report

Grantysghost
24-02-2021, 12:52 AM
Treloar will be ready for round 1 according to this (https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1364120620267577348)report

Good news. He and Dunkley have certainly bonded fast! Can only be a good thing I guess.

Grantysghost
02-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Treloar may play on Monday.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/labour-gains-treloar-in-frame-to-take-on-dees-20210301-p576u8.html

Axe Man
03-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Dogs play safe with Treloar, No.1 pick 'a fair way off' (https://www.afl.com.au/news/555413/dogs-play-safe-with-treloar-no-1-pick-a-fair-way-off-)

Western Bulldogs recruit Adam Treloar is in some doubt for the round one clash against his old team

HIGH-profile Western Bulldogs recruit Adam Treloar remains in significant doubt to face his former team Collingwood in round one.

Treloar, who was forced out in the Magpies' fire sale during last year's AFL Trade Period, has been battling a calf injury for a month.

The 27-year-old has a history of soft-tissue injuries and the Bulldogs are taking a cautious approach with their prized midfielder.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said Treloar will only play "some minutes" in the reserves practice match on Monday, if at all.

"He'd had a really strong training patch and then he got a cork in his calf and kept running on it. So it turned into something a little bit worse," Beveridge told SEN radio on Wednesday.

"We've got about 12 days until round one (after Monday) and we'll just see how that shapes up."

Treloar might not be the only much-talked-about player missing for the March 19 game against the Magpies at the MCG, with No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan set to be eased into his promising AFL career.

The prodigiously talented key forward was unable to play any under-age football last season because of COVID-19 restrictions and Beveridge said that meant Ugle-Hagan was coming from a long way back.

"Jamarra will play when he's physically ready and he's a fair way off at the moment," Beveridge said.

The recruitment of Treloar bolsters an already-impressive midfield at the Whitten Oval club that includes captain Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae and Tom Liberatore.

Fellow premiership on-baller Josh Dunkley is still at the club after his trade request to join Essendon fell through.

Dunkley was unhappy at being used in a variety of different positions last year but Beveridge said there was no guarantee the 24-year-old would be back in the midfield full time.

"(Dunkley) didn't play his best game against Hawthorn (last week)," Beveridge said.

"He's fully aware that there's pressure for game time in any role in our team.

"There's pressure on for his (Dunkley's) spot and the role that he plays."

bornadog
09-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Crozier set for shoulder surgery (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/876551/crozier-set-for-shoulder-surgery)

Influential defender Hayden Crozier has been ruled out of the Western Bulldogs’ round one clash with Collingwood.

Crozier suffered a shoulder injury in the third quarter of yesterday’s AAMI Community Series win against Melbourne.

Scans have since confirmed an AC joint injury for the 27-year-old, who will require surgery to fix the issue.

A return to play timeframe for Crozier will be determined following his operation.

ratsmac
09-03-2021, 11:24 PM
Crozier set for shoulder surgery (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/876551/crozier-set-for-shoulder-surgery)

Influential defender Hayden Crozier has been ruled out of the Western Bulldogs’ round one clash with Collingwood.

Crozier suffered a shoulder injury in the third quarter of yesterday’s AAMI Community Series win against Melbourne.

Scans have since confirmed an AC joint injury for the 27-year-old, who will require surgery to fix the issue.

A return to play timeframe for Crozier will be determined following his operation.

This is a real blow. He's a pretty important player for us with his marking and spoiling. I'd say Duryea will take his spot. You would think JJ would but Bevo didn't sound too impressed with his game in the two's.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2021, 12:46 AM
I'm not convinced Crozier is a big loss. He's a decent player but he isn't good defensively and he isn't an attacking threat. His leap is impressive and handy for sky high balls into D50, but I think it also clouds judgement on his overall game. I've been critical of his propensity to fly when he shouldn't and then be beaten at ground level.

I think he's a solid player but we should be able to cover him with Duryea or Wood.

soupman
10-03-2021, 01:13 AM
I think he is one of our few players to have an aerial presence in defence, and is decent one on one (although has a tendency to take himself out of the contest flying for it).

Agree we should be able to cover him with Duryea or Wood, but he is probably the best of those three options (Duryea might be better tbh).

Happy Days
10-03-2021, 09:10 AM
Crozier’s maniacal courage can hurt as much as it helps. He’s really gotta stop trying to spoil the ball from the front of the contest by coming back with the flight and let the relevant defender handle it, because despite how admirable it is he takes himself out of position to clear the ball when it comes to ground, he invariably takes out the other defenders who could defend the ground ball, and his spoils almost always go goal side, putting the ball into the most dangerous space.

I agree that he’s an important player but not a perfect one, and we should be able to cover his loss.

1eyedog
10-03-2021, 01:43 PM
Considering how shit we are at defending the high ball this is a massive loss. Unfortunately Crozier has had to sacrifice his game to be this player and it has meant we have missed out on his natural attacking tendencies, which I guess we try to make up through JJ and Williams.

He will be missed more than we think and I think Wood will need to play his role. Wood needs to step up to cover this loss imo.

bornadog
10-03-2021, 04:40 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Hayden Crozier
Shoulder
TBC

Riley Garcia
Knee
TBC

Mitch Hannan
Groin
TBC

Toby McLean
Knee
4-5 months

Aaron Naughton
Arm
Test

Laitham Vandermeer
Hip
Test

Easton Wood
Hamstring
1-2 weeks

Updated: Tuesday, March 9

Wood hasn't been ruled out of round one yet but will need to make strides over the next week to be passed fit for the Friday night clash with Collingwood. The Dogs came out of the AAMI Community Series clash with some injury concerns, with Crozier requiring surgery on his shoulder. Naughton and Vandermeer are expected to be available. Hannan has been managing his groin injury since crossing from Melbourne but there is no timeline set. - Callum Twomey

Happy Days
10-03-2021, 04:42 PM
So looks like that means Duryea for Crozier.

bornadog
10-03-2021, 04:43 PM

Naughton and Vander to be available

divvydan
11-03-2021, 06:47 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/877947/lengthy-sideline-stint-for-crozier

6-8 weeks for Crozier.
Wood and Treloar coming back into full training, in consideration for Rd 1
Vandermeer and Naughton expected to be fit for Rd 1

Bulldog Joe
11-03-2021, 07:06 PM

Based on what appears to be Bevo DNA I expect Khamis to get the nod.

Axe Man
11-03-2021, 07:22 PM
Based on what appears to be Bevo DNA I expect Khamis to get the nod.

Can you see Bevo not playing Wood if he's fit? I can't.

Bulldog Joe
11-03-2021, 07:25 PM
Can you see Bevo not playing Wood if he's fit? I can't.

I can't see being assessed as fit without at least some game time.

bornadog
17-03-2021, 12:48 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Hayden Crozier
Shoulder
6-8 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
TBC

Mitch Hannan
Groin
TBC

Toby McLean
Knee
4-5 months

Easton Wood
Hamstring
Test

Updated: Tuesday, March 16

Vred
19-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Ed Richards stretched off field with an ankle injury in the game vs Collingwood.

https://twitter.com/Jen2310/status/1372785495365677056

bornadog
22-03-2021, 12:23 PM
Flying colours: Wood passes test (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/886430/flying-colours-wood-passes-test)

Experienced defender Easton Wood wasted no time proving his fitness on Friday afternoon.

It took less than a half of football for the former captain to showcase his high-flying best on his return from a hamstring injury, sitting on the shoulders of a Collingwood opponent for a second quarter ‘speccy’.

The 31-year-old played the whole game and got through with flying colours.
He had missed the Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match against Melbourne and scratch match against Hawthorn through injury.

“I’m very happy to get through unscathed and feel good out here, be able to hit speed and play with freedom,” Wood said post-game.

“It’s been frustrating (being in rehab).
“I did a hamstring that was meant to be about three weeks and I think it took me six in the end. I couldn’t quite get right.

“But it was a huge milestone playing a full game.”

Happy Days
22-03-2021, 01:40 PM
We’ll really need him this week I reckon.

GVGjr
22-03-2021, 02:34 PM

Can he play as the 3rd tall against the Eaqles?

comrade
22-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Any word on Richards?

Axe Man
22-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Three Eagles tall forwards plus Liam Ryan suggests we will have our hands full in the air. I think he needs to come in. Hopefully the onballers can protect the back 6 again coming up against a midfield missing Shuey and Yeo.

Happy Days
22-03-2021, 02:53 PM

I think he can play on Darling but also that he's possibly our best option on Liam Ryan. Their forward line is probably the most dangerous one in the league and with no Crozier we are light on for non-key defensive first players.

Say Wood isn't included, how do you think we go about stopping Ryan?

Before I Die
22-03-2021, 03:04 PM
I think he can play on Darling but also that he's possibly our best option on Liam Ryan. Their forward line is probably the most dangerous one in the league and with no Crozier we are light on for non-key defensive first players.

Duryea or Scott. Not saying they can do the job, but they are the choices. I'm not sure if Wood's hammy would necessarily cope with trying to chase down Ryan anyway.

Scott is very disciplined, so possibly jobs like this are why he is in the 22. I would rather see Wood play as an intercept marker to try and disrupt the WC talls.

Axe Man
22-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Richards hit by ankle injury (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/886614?fbclid=IwAR2eBwEUP7VfP2dHaWag__fMXuOjErMNYq98joJT5YgZ c9lFsAFaOn_Ac24)

Young gun Ed Richards is set for a lengthy stint on the sidelines, after sustaining an ankle injury in a VFL practice match on Friday.

The 21-year-old was stretchered from the ground in the late stages of the third quarter.

Scans after the game on Friday showed he would require surgery, which was completed over the weekend.

“Unfortunately Ed got his ankle caught in a tackle, which caused his fibula to break,” head of medical services, Chris Bell, said.

“This injury did require surgery, which was completed on Saturday morning.

“We expect Ed to miss the next eight-to-10 weeks of football.”

The news is better for off-season recruit Mitch Hannan and yet-to-debut midfielder Riley Garcia, who will both return to full training this week.

Hannan has spent the pre-season overcoming a persistent groin injury, with Garcia working through a knee injury he picked up in the final training session before the Christmas break.

“Mitch and Riley have continued to progress really nicely,” Bell said.

“Both have completed their final stages of rehab and will reintegrate into full training this week.

“We hope that both players will return to availability in the next 10 days.”

Injury list

Mitch Hannan (groin) – 1-2 weeks
Riley Garcia (knee) – 1-2 weeks
Hayden Crozier (shoulder) – 4-6 weeks
Ed Richards (ankle) – 8-10 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) - TBC

Grantysghost
22-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Oh rotten luck.

comrade
22-03-2021, 04:33 PM
At least Ed will be back for the second half of the season. Really hope he gets an opportunity at half back.

GVGjr
22-03-2021, 05:13 PM

I think Duryea is an option for Ryan if Wood doesn't play but I think we will need a 3rd tall against them.
It's not like Cordy has knocked the door down

bornadog
27-03-2021, 06:23 PM
From VFL Practise match:

* Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was withdrawn in the second quarter with a dislocated thumb and will be assessed in the coming days.

* Schache also off with ankle

divvydan
29-03-2021, 05:23 PM
Medical update video: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/893053/medical-room-latest-on-ugle-hagan-hannan-and-garcia?videoId=893053&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1616994071001

No injuries from AFL match. JUH has a laceration on his thumb and is a test to play this week. Hannan and Garcia to both join in full training and if they get through that will be available to be selected. No mention of Schache or anyone else.

comrade
29-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Medical update video: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/893053/medical-room-latest-on-ugle-hagan-hannan-and-garcia?videoId=893053&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1616994071001

No injuries from AFL match. JUH has a laceration on his thumb and is a test to play this week. Hannan and Garcia to both join in full training and if they get through that will be available to be selected. No mention of Schache or anyone else.

That's a relief. If it was a break or dislocation, could have messed with his biggest weapon (marking). Excited to see what Hannan and Garcia can bring to our forward mix.

bornadog
30-03-2021, 03:52 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Hayden Crozier
Shoulder
3-5 weeks

Riley Garcia
Knee
Test

Mitch Hannan
Groin
Test

Toby McLean
Knee
4-5 months

Ed Richards
Ankle
7-9 weeks

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Thumb
Test

Updated: Tuesday, March 30

Grantysghost
30-03-2021, 04:07 PM

Syringe?

bornadog
03-04-2021, 12:54 PM
Gardner out for 6 to 8 weeks with AC Joint, same injury as Crozier

bulldogsthru&thru
03-04-2021, 01:14 PM
Gardner out for 6 to 8 weeks with AC Joint, same injury as Crozier

That’s gonna hurt us given our poor KPD stocks. But it gives the likes of Young and Cordy the chance to cement their spot in the side. It also means our mids need to continue to pressure the ball handler to make it easier for our defence.

Axe Man
06-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Gardner set for sideline stint (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/898910?fbclid=IwAR3fbWT9JK6PEjswkuWHjoLTZF4WotXFBtb4mW_IF-a3Jy97SW74P8KHCKw)

Emerging defender Ryan Gardner looks set to miss up to two months of football, after sustaining a shoulder injury in Good Friday’s big win over North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium.

The 23-year-old suffered an AC joint injury early in the first quarter, forcing the Bulldogs to activate their medical sub in Pat Lipinski.

Gardner will have surgery this week.

“Ryan had some side impact in the opening minutes of the game, that damaged his AC joint,” Head of Medical Services, Chris Bell, said.

“The AC joint was damaged to an extent that did require surgery, and we expect ‘Gardy’ to miss the next six-to-eight weeks of football.”

Off-season recruit Mitch Hannan has also suffered a minor setback, colliding with a North Melbourne player in the third quarter of the VFL scratch match at VU Whiten Oval on Good Friday morning.

Hannan did not return to the field after the incident, in what was his first hit-out since overcoming a persistent groin injury over the off-season.

“Mitch has come in really well, so we’ll work closely with our doctors through our concussion protocol,” Bell said.

“We fully expect Mitch to be available for our round one VFL match in the coming weeks.”

Injury List

Mitch Hannan (concussion) – test
Hayden Crozier (shoulder) – 1-2 weeks
Ed Richards (ankle) – 4-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) – 6-8 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) – 8-10 weeks

bornadog
06-04-2021, 06:25 PM
Hayden Crozier (shoulder) – 1-2 weeks

That sounds promising.

AS Bevo mentioned the other day, at least with a shoulder injury, the player can still run and keep up their fitness.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Surprised to see that Toby is only 8-10 weeks away. That could see him available early/mid July.

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2021, 10:33 PM
Surprised to see that Toby is only 8-10 weeks away. That could see him available early/mid July.

He must be running well ahead of schedule.

bornadog
12-04-2021, 10:35 PM
Player
Injury
Weeks

Mitch Hannan (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1347/mitch-hannan)
concussion
test

Hayden Crozier (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/286/hayden-crozier)
shoulder
test

Ed Richards (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1722/ed-richards)
ankle
4-6 weeks

Ryan Gardner (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/901/ryan-gardner)
shoulder
5-7 weeks

Toby McLean (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/1081/toby-mclean)
knee
6-8 weeks

Axe Man
13-04-2021, 02:39 PM
Crozier a chance for Suns clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/904530/crozier-a-chance-for-suns-clash?fbclid=IwAR0wh4yCdTkND4rUI8p6zZPjaBEQQdeoPLwGJfg0PWSz9 SP8AU7mRgiLTLk)

Influential defender Hayden Crozier could be in line to return this week against the Gold Coast Suns.

Crozier has missed the first four rounds of the season, after sustaining an AC joint injury in the Bulldogs’ pre-season match against Melbourne.

However, he has returned to full training and could be back to face the Suns.

“He’s travelling really well and has a good block of training under his belt,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“If he gets through full training this week like we expect, he will return to availability.”

The return of Crozier would help to offset the loss of All Australian half-back Caleb Daniel, who will miss this week due to a one-week suspension.

Experienced backman Easton Wood, who has returned strongly from a hamstring injury over the past fortnight, believes Crozier is every chance to play.

“It’s pretty quick – a remarkable recovery if he can get back, it was a pretty nasty AC joint injury,” Wood said.

“But he’s tough as nails, ‘Crozzy’, he’s an incredibly strong man so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get up.”

Injury list

Mitch Hannan (concussion) test
Hayden Crozier (shoulder) test
Ed Richards (ankle) 4-6 weeks
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) 5-7 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) 6-8 weeks

Topdog
14-04-2021, 10:20 AM
come back through the VFL in my opinion

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2021, 10:37 AM
Given he featured in both practice and pre season games, I think he was clearly earmarked as in best 22.
If he's been able to maintain his fitness levels, then I'd be happy with him being selected this week.

Dry Rot
19-04-2021, 12:12 AM
Any update on Williams?

1eyedog
19-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Any update on Williams?

First thing I thought about when I woke up. Wondering how many weeks.

bornadog
19-04-2021, 12:55 PM
First thing I thought about when I woke up. Wondering how many weeks.

This is the third shoulder injury with Crozier and Gardener both missing 7 weeks, so hopefully not as bad.

divvydan
19-04-2021, 04:53 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/915664

Injury list

Laitham Vandermeer (back) test
Bailey Williams (collarbone) 2-4 weeks
Ed Richards (ankle) 3-5 weeks
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) 4-6 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) 5-7 weeks

Go_Dogs
19-04-2021, 08:01 PM
That’s a good result.

Things can and will change quickly no doubt, but pretty exciting we’ll be heading into the second half of the year with a relatively clean bill of health.

ratsmac
19-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Spewin we won't have Williams for the Richmond game. Cordy is his likely replacement I'd say

comrade
19-04-2021, 08:22 PM
Spewin we won't have Williams for the Richmond game. Cordy is his likely replacement I'd say

Daniel straight in.

1eyedog
19-04-2021, 08:40 PM
Daniel straight in.

Yeah won't need Cordy if Lew Young goes ok this week.

1eyedog
21-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Caleb Daniel - Suspension - Available

Ryan Gardner - Shoulder - 4-6 weeks

Toby McLean - Knee - 5-7 weeks

Ed Richards - Ankle - 3-5 weeks

Vander - Back - Test

Bailey Williams - Collarbone - 2-4 weeks

https://www.afl.com.au/news/598652/medical-room-the-full-afl-injury-list-r6?fbclid=IwAR1x88FlPhw0bdhpmoMsIYer3p_mwIPe2yFE1S58bod3l0AN PSd__bd7dAg

bornadog
26-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Star Dog set for shoulder reco, will miss months (https://www.afl.com.au/news/603109/star-dog-set-for-shoulder-reco-will-miss-months)

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley will be sent for major shoulder surgery on Tuesday in the hope of a return later this season.

Dunkley twice injured his shoulder in the Dogs' win over Greater Western Sydney on Friday night before undergoing scans on Monday morning after spending time with family in NSW across the weekend.

It is anticipated Dunkley will miss at least three months – with a best-case return slated for the final month of the home and away season.

The star onballer, who last year requested a trade away from the Whitten Oval, has been integral in the Dogs' 6-0 start to the season.

His injury follows a hamstring setback for Lin Jong in the same game, while Tim English will be forced to miss this week's clash with Richmond due to concussion.

English, however, has been cleared of damage to his jaw after a brutal case of friendly fire from teammate, and housemate, Aaron Naughton against the Giants.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Awful result.

I still feel deflated about it.

Hope he can get back before the finals.

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Awful result.

Was always going to be a long termer, but great news that he’ll be back for a finals tilt. He’ll be like a raging bull after 12 weeks on the sidelines.

Injuries are coming for every side.

Grantysghost
26-04-2021, 02:04 PM
Sh1thouse.

If he has any setbacks could be his last game for us; imagine that.

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2021, 02:06 PM
Awful result.

It sucks, but a silver lining could be that we get a look at what life would be like without him. Can we cover him with Wallis/Lipinski/Garcia/etc and/or some deck shuffling?

That might go a long way to helping us decide if we should cash him in for a couple of first rounders to Essington come seasons end.

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:12 PM
The silver lining is we’ll be injecting a fresh and raring to go A grade mid into our team late in the year while others will be pretty beaten up. As mentioned above, we also get to accelerate the development of the likes of Lippa/Garcia/West or bring Bazlenka inside and give someone like Butler a run on the wing.

We need to win enough games to make top 4 now and try to be as fit as possible come finals time. From there, anything can happen.

bornadog
26-04-2021, 02:12 PM
Jong also set for surgery and will miss 12 weeks plus.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2021, 02:13 PM
It sucks, but a silver lining could be that we get a look at what life would be like without him. Can we cover him with Wallis/Lipinski/Garcia/etc and/or some deck shuffling?

That might go a long way to helping us decide if we should cash him in for a couple of first rounders to Essington come seasons end.

Agreed.

My concern is that our midfield with Dunks gave us such a huge competitive advantage over every other side, to the point that if things kept rolling as they were, I'm not sure any side could go with us.

This means we need a player or two to really step up.

I'm thinking Bailey Smith needs to go back inside (he has struggled in recent weeks) and Lipinski needs to make the wing his own.

comrade
26-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Agreed.

My concern is that our midfield with Dunks gave us such a huge competitive advantage over every other side, to the point that if things kept rolling as they were, I'm not sure any side could go with us.

This means we need a player or two to really step up.

I'm thinking Bailey Smith needs to go back inside (he has struggled in recent weeks) and Lipinski needs to make the wing his own.

He’ll be back for finals and we will have that advantage again (all things going well). Out of the big 5 (Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Treloar and Libba), Dunks is probably the one ‘easiest’ to cover.

I’m looking forward to seeing who steps up from the next tier.

hujsh
26-04-2021, 03:10 PM
He’ll be back for finals and we will have that advantage again (all things going well). Out of the big 5 (Bont, Macrae, Dunks, Treloar and Libba), Dunks is probably the one ‘easiest’ to cover.

I’m looking forward to seeing who steps up from the next tier.

My worry is that we lose a lot of defensive edge from the midfield mix. Hopefully it's something that team effort can replicate but I think Dunkley's 1%er numbers have been elite. Has me leaning more towards a West than a Lipinski if we're looking for a replacement.

comrade
26-04-2021, 03:16 PM
My worry is that we lose a lot of defensive edge from the midfield mix. Hopefully it's something that team effort can replicate but I think Dunkley's 1%er numbers have been elite. Has me leaning more towards a West than a Lipinski if we're looking for a replacement.

For sure, it’s not possible to replace him completely which is why banking 6 wins already is increasingly important and gear up for a massive surge upon his return. Hopefully it will be the making of one of the next tier guys.

Bulldog4life
27-04-2021, 02:10 PM
The silver lining is we’ll be injecting a fresh and raring to go A grade mid into our team late in the year while others will be pretty beaten up. As mentioned above, we also get to accelerate the development of the likes of Lippa/Garcia/West or bring Bazlenka inside and give someone like Butler a run on the wing.

We need to win enough games to make top 4 now and try to be as fit as possible come finals time. From there, anything can happen.

I like that.

bornadog
27-04-2021, 02:29 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Dunkley
Shoulder
12-16 weeks

Tim English
Concussion
1-2 weeks

Ryan Gardner
Shoulder
3-5 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
4-6 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
10-12 weeks

Ed Richards
Ankle
3-5 weeks

Bailey Williams
Collarbone
2-3 weeks

Bumper Bulldogs
28-04-2021, 07:49 AM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Dunkley
Shoulder
12-16 weeks

Tim English
Concussion
1-2 weeks

Ryan Gardner
Shoulder
3-5 weeks

Toby McLean
Knee
4-6 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
10-12 weeks

Ed Richards
Ankle
3-5 weeks

Bailey Williams
Collarbone
2-3 weeks

Guess it’s a short list but a case could be made to say that they all would be in our best 22.

Vred
28-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Guess it’s a short list but a case could be made to say that they all would be in our best 22.

Has shades of 2016 about it doesn't it?

Bumper Bulldogs
28-04-2021, 08:58 AM
Has shades of 2016 about it doesn't it?

All over it.

comrade
03-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Updated injury list:

Tim English (concussion) test
Bailey Williams (collarbone) 1 week
Ryan Gardner (shoulder) 1-2 weeks
Toby McLean (knee) 3-4 weeks
Lin Jong (hamstring) 10-12 weeks
Josh Dunkley (shoulder) 12-16 weeks

Williams and Gardner back next week is good news.

bulldogtragic
03-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Updated injury list:

6 players who might claim to be best 22 coming back in 5 weeks. That’s heart warming.

GVGjr
03-05-2021, 07:55 PM
Updated injury list:

The cavalry is coming.

MrMahatma
03-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Toby seems to be progressing quickly. He did his knee in Sept didn’t he?

Vred
04-05-2021, 12:53 AM
Toby seems to be progressing quickly. He did his knee in Sept didn’t he?

Patented Morris Bone Broth

macca
04-05-2021, 03:03 AM
Patented Morris Bone Broth

i think the have bottled the Morrisiah magic healing dust. Its phenomenal Toby is back to full training. Really looking forward to see him back.
I can't believe Garnder is back in 2 weeks.

Powers of recovery.

Cyberdoggie
04-05-2021, 06:33 PM
i think the have bottled the Morrisiah magic healing dust. Its phenomenal Toby is back to full training. Really looking forward to see him back.
I can't believe Garnder is back in 2 weeks.

Powers of recovery.

Yeah normally it's a full year out but he hurt his knee around 13th of September. So tracking for 9 months return is pretty good.

Really wonder where he will fit in to the side though.

bornadog
08-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Stefan Martin is expected to miss a couple of weeks with Achilles soreness.

azabob
08-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Do we think English has structural damage to his face as well as concussion?

bulldogtragic
08-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Stefan Martin is expected to miss a couple of weeks with Achilles soreness.

Anyone know what Martin’s trigger is for another season? An Achilles issue could depress his game tally and auto trigger. He’s already missed one this year.

Go_Dogs
09-05-2021, 09:46 PM
Anyone know what Martin’s trigger is for another season? An Achilles issue could depress his game tally and auto trigger. He’s already missed one this year.

Does it matter? If he wants to play on and gets through the year ok he will play in 2022.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Does it matter? If he wants to play on and gets through the year ok he will play in 2022.

It does to an extent if we’re not sure about whether he has a full year in him, and in addition he’s carrying issues and either the choice about 2022 is ours to make or it’s automatic. Moreover I was curious if anyone knew the number.

bornadog
09-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Hunter set for stint on sidelines with broken hand (https://www.afl.com.au/news/610878/hunter-set-for-stint-on-sidelines-with-broken-hand)

VICTORIOUS Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has revealed experienced utility Lachie Hunter may face some time on the sidelines after he played out Sunday's clash against Carlton with a suspected broken hand.

There are fears that Hunter may have broken his hand during the middle stages of the Marvel Stadium contest and the injury could force the left-footer to miss next week's crucial matchup against in-form Port Adelaide.

Axe Man
11-05-2021, 04:25 PM
Bulldog trio could return (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/933997/bulldog-trio-could-return)

The Western Bulldogs could have three important players available to return for Saturday night’s clash with Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

Defenders Bailey Williams (collarbone) and Ryan Gardner (shoulder), plus ruck-forward Tim English (concussion) could all be in the frame for selection.

“Both Bailey and Ryan have completed the final stages of their rehab,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell said.

“(They) are re-integrating back into full training this week, and if they get through training like I expect, both will return to availability.

“Tim still had some very low-level, persistent headaches last week. We don’t want to take any risks with Tim.

“He’ll continue to work closely with our doctors to determine his availability for this weekend’s game.

Lachie Hunter had surgery to repair a fracture in his hand on Monday, after playing with the injury in the second half of Sunday’s win.

“In the third quarter, Lachie was involved in a contest where he broke a small bone in his hand,” Bell said.

“This injury did require surgery to stabilise the fracture.

“Lachie has come in well today and we’ll determine his availability over the coming days.”

However, experienced ruckman Stefan Martin and speedster Laitham Vandermeer will both spend some time on the sidelines.

Martin will miss the next 2-4 weeks and Vandermeer the next 4-6 weeks.

“Stef has been suffering from some persistent Achilles tendon soreness,” Bell said.

“We’ve been managing it up until this point, but recently it’s started to impact his athletic performance. We’ve taken Stef out of games so we can return him back to 100 per cent.

“During training last Thursday, Laitham suffered some innocuous knee pain. Scans have confirmed he did suffer some cartilage damage in his knee.

“At this stage, we’re going to try management without surgery.”

Number one draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has also been ruled out for this week, after sustaining a concussion injury in the VFL on Sunday.

Injury list

English (concussion) test
Gardner (shoulder) test
Williams (collarbone) test
Hunter (hand) TBC
Ugle-Hagan (concussion) TBC
McLean (knee) 2-3 weeks
Martin (Achilles) 2-4 weeks
Richards (ankle) 3-5 weeks
Vandermeer (knee) 4-6 weeks
Jong (hamstring) 9-10 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) 10-14 weeks

bornadog
11-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Vandermeer 4 to 6 with a knee is a bit of a blow.

I thought Mclean was back to full unrestricted training? maybe he needs the time to get fit again.

Axe Man
11-05-2021, 04:33 PM

I thought Mclean was back to full unrestricted training? maybe he needs the time to get fit again.

Also Martin out for up to a month is disappointing. Hopefully Sweet can take the opportunity and improve each game.

McLean's return timeframe has remained pretty linear so I assume it is all going to plan and he requires a few weeks of full on training before he resumes in the VFL, perhaps on managed game time initially. No need to rush him.

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Yeah from the photo he looked a little bit out of condition. Maybe a 4 week mini pre-season?

Will be good to get Williams back, we've missed his creativity down back. Even against Carlton it wasn't until Daniel started to get involved near the end that we started to move the ball better through the middle. I think and English are vital for us if we want to stand a chance against Port.
Also need a defender that can stop Dixon but not sure we can solve that one.

Grantysghost
11-05-2021, 05:13 PM
Also Martin out for up to a month is disappointing. Hopefully Sweet can take the opportunity and improve each game.

McLean's return timeframe has remained pretty linear so I assume it is all going to plan and he requires a few weeks of full on training before he resumes in the VFL, perhaps on managed game time initially. No need to rush him.

Achilles injuries are the absolute worst! They take time, all you can do is rest it and pray it doesn't return.
Risk of grabbing an older player I guess. I spoke to some Lions supporters who were reasonably intelligent at the Ballarat game and they said he was cooked so interesting to see how he goes.
For me he's a massive win so far.

comrade
11-05-2021, 05:20 PM
Martin’s last few games were pretty bad, this explains it.

Sink or swim for Sweet.

Axe Man
11-05-2021, 05:25 PM
Achilles injuries are the absolute worst! They take time, all you can do is rest it and pray it doesn't return.
Risk of grabbing an older player I guess. I spoke to some Lions supporters who were reasonably intelligent at the Ballarat game and they said he was cooked so interesting to see how he goes.
For me he's a massive win so far.

Tell me about it. I have had Achilles tendonitis on and off for about 10 years. Had been all good for a couple of years at least and it just flared up again worse than ever. So frustrating.

Don't really buy the assessment that he was cooked. He had barely missed a game for years until last last season when he did a PCL, a mild hammy and then had stress fractures in his back. Those mostly seem like bad luck rather than age related injuries. Hopefully some rest will help the achillles and it can then be managed for the rest of the season.

Grantysghost
11-05-2021, 06:12 PM
Tell me about it. I have had Achilles tendonitis on and off for about 10 years. Had been all good for a couple of years at least and it just flared up again worse than ever. So frustrating.

Don't really buy the assessment that he was cooked. He had barely missed a game for years until last last season when he did a PCL, a mild hammy and then had stress fractures in his back. Those mostly seem like bad luck rather than age related injuries. Hopefully some rest will help the achillles and it can then be managed for the rest of the season.

I did probe that response and there was a legimate answer I've just forgotten it! Cooked was the throwaway but when probed they did have some valid reason.

I've too endured years of achilles issues. I'm not good at managing it, however a podiatrist recommendation of arch support has been the best answer as I was rolling in massively.
Still feel it but at least I can run.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2021, 10:16 AM

Bit of a blow as you said.

I'm a big VDM fan, even if his last 2 or so games were pretty average. We're just a much more dynamic side when he's in it and playing well.

Let's get him right for finals.

bornadog
12-05-2021, 10:58 AM
I did probe that response and there was a legimate answer I've just forgotten it! Cooked was the throwaway but when probed they did have some valid reason.

I've too endured years of achilles issues. I'm not good at managing it, however a podiatrist recommendation of arch support has been the best answer as I was rolling in massively.
Still feel it but at least I can run.

One thing with Stef he is a late comer to Footy so hopefully he has this year and next left in him. Started the season pretty fit, and lets hope this injury is minor.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 03:58 PM
Wood out for 4 to 6 weeks

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Wood out for 4 to 6 weeks

At least one of them is the bye.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 04:04 PM
At least one of them is the bye.

It was from Stevo, apparently we will be conservative.

comrade
17-05-2021, 04:23 PM
https://i.ibb.co/R7pPGR0/Swamp-on-Twitter-Players-used-by-each-AFL-club-in-1st-9-rounds-of-2021-36-WBD-35-COLL-FREM-GWS-34-CA.png (https://ibb.co/nRsfqxc)

I don't know exactly what this says about us (and Bevo) but it's interesting.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 04:33 PM
https://i.ibb.co/R7pPGR0/Swamp-on-Twitter-Players-used-by-each-AFL-club-in-1st-9-rounds-of-2021-36-WBD-35-COLL-FREM-GWS-34-CA.png (https://ibb.co/nRsfqxc)

too many changes week to week? or lots of injuries

Axe Man
17-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Wood to miss a month (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/938789?fbclid=IwAR1G5hXTh_hxfn2sMu4mRMBtrlrmI12k9TqsmC2EHtFk CrGtx41HLlAlb64)

Veteran defender Easton Wood is expected to miss at least the next month of football after sustaining a hamstring injury on Saturday night.

Wood was subbed out of the game in the first quarter, as the Western Bulldogs notched their eighth win for the season.

“In the first quarter of the game on the weekend whilst accelerating into a contest, Easton suffered a hamstring strain,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“With clinical assessment today and an MRI, we can confirm that is a moderate grade injury.

“We expect Easton to miss the next 4-6 weeks of footy.”

Ryan Gardner (shoulder) will be available to return from injury this week, with Lachie Hunter (hand), Tim English and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (both concussion) all tests.

“Although we tried hard to get Lachie up to play (against Port Adelaide), he was hampered by some swelling,” Bell said.

“We’ll continue to work with Lachie this week, to determine his availability towards the back-end of the week.

“Tim fully trained without contact last week and still wasn’t quite 100 per cent.

“We’ll continue to monitor Tim this week, and once he’s fully recovered we’ll return him to availability.”

Injury list

Gardner (shoulder) available
English (concussion) test
Hunter (hand) test
Ugle-Hagan (concussion) test
McLean (knee) 1-2 weeks
Richards (ankle) 3-4 weeks
Martin (Achilles) 3-4 weeks
Vandermeer (knee) 3-6 weeks
Wood (hamstring) 4-6 weeks
Jong (hamstring) 8-10 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) 8-10 weeks

bulldogsthru&thru
17-05-2021, 04:55 PM
I didn’t realise Vandermeer had a knee issue.

Good to see Dunks down to the 8-10 range. That has him on track for rd 19. Be good to get him a few games in for a chance to play finals with match conditioning.

Sedat
17-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Martin 3-4 weeks has snuck up on us. I thought it was a 1-2 weeker 2 weeks ago.

comrade
17-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Martin 3-4 weeks has snuck up on us. I thought it was a 1-2 weeker 2 weeks ago.

Achilles are a pr**k of an injury, not surprised we're being conservative.

The messaging around Timmy is what I'm concerned about.

azabob
17-05-2021, 09:43 PM
Achilles are a pr**k of an injury, not surprised we're being conservative.

The messaging around Timmy is what I'm concerned about.

On English I’m staggered he didn’t get structural damage, so maybe that is what is holding him back?

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Is Dunks ahead of schedule? Think it was 16 weeks as a worst case scenario when he did it so 8-10 is very encouraging.

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:21 AM
too many changes week to week? or lots of injuries

We've tried things out as well. Schache, Young, West in and pretty much straight out.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-05-2021, 11:46 AM

We are.being conservative with injuries giving plenty of recovery time. So more players on list used. It seems all players know the mantra.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 01:05 PM
We are.being conservative with injuries giving plenty of recovery time. So more players on list used. It seems all players know the mantra.

Especially with concussions. Marra isn't playing at all this week.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Especially with concussions.

I don't mind that

FrediKanoute
18-05-2021, 09:17 PM
You look at that injury list and there are 7 or 8 guys who would be starting 22. It's a credit to the list that we are covering as well as we are.

Axe Man
24-05-2021, 12:10 PM
'Emotional lift': Premiership Bulldog ready to return (https://www.afl.com.au/news/619296/-emotional-lift-premiership-bulldog-ready-to-return)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' depth is set to be boosted again, with premiership player Toby McLean expected to return from his knee reconstruction to play in the VFL this week.

The 2016 flag winner went down with his season-ending knee injury in September last year, with the midfielder undergoing surgery after the round 17 incident.

But he has made strong progress throughout his rehabilitation and coach Luke Beveridge said McLean is likely to resume this week for the Footscray VFL line-up on Sunday against Casey Demons.

"Toby McLean we believe will play this week off his ACL. He obviously won't come back into the AFL side, but that will be an emotional lift for everyone again," Beveridge said on the weekend.

"He's been on that tumultuous journey of recovery, so that's going to be important for us."

The 25-year-old McLean had spent time out of the Dogs' senior side last year but shapes as an exciting addition to the midfield/forward line in the second half of the season.

The Dogs expect to get ruckman Tim English back from concussion for Friday night's huge clash with Melbourne after the big man turned the corner in his recovery late last week and stepped up his training.

Midfielder Patrick Lipinski will also be in line to return after missing Saturday night's thumping of St Kilda with a thigh injury, with Adam Treloar to miss with a suspected syndesmosis injury.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 12:23 PM
'Emotional lift': Premiership Bulldog ready to return (https://www.afl.com.au/news/619296/-emotional-lift-premiership-bulldog-ready-to-return)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' depth is set to be boosted again, with premiership player Toby McLean expected to return from his knee reconstruction to play in the VFL this week.

The 2016 flag winner went down with his season-ending knee injury in September last year, with the midfielder undergoing surgery after the round 17 incident.

But he has made strong progress throughout his rehabilitation and coach Luke Beveridge said McLean is likely to resume this week for the Footscray VFL line-up on Sunday against Casey Demons.

"Toby McLean we believe will play this week off his ACL. He obviously won't come back into the AFL side, but that will be an emotional lift for everyone again," Beveridge said on the weekend.

"He's been on that tumultuous journey of recovery, so that's going to be important for us."

The 25-year-old McLean had spent time out of the Dogs' senior side last year but shapes as an exciting addition to the midfield/forward line in the second half of the season.

The Dogs expect to get ruckman Tim English back from concussion for Friday night's huge clash with Melbourne after the big man turned the corner in his recovery late last week and stepped up his training.

Midfielder Patrick Lipinski will also be in line to return after missing Saturday night's thumping of St Kilda with a thigh injury, with Adam Treloar to miss with a suspected syndesmosis injury.

That's excellent news for Toby. Good luck to him on the weekend.

Once he gets back to his best, is there room for him in the AFL team? Is he one who can take McNeil's or Scott's spot?

bornadog
24-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Treloar out for 6 to 8 weeks

Vandermeer to have surgery so will be out for awhile

bornadog
24-05-2021, 03:42 PM
Treloar to have surgery (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/944188/treloar-to-have-surgery)

Star midfielder Adam Treloar will have surgery to repair an ankle syndesmosis ligament injury.

The 28-year-old sustained the injury in the second quarter of Saturday night’s big win against St Kilda, after having his leg caught in a tackle.

He was subbed out of the game at half time.
It is expected Treloar will be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks.

“We’ve decided the best way to manage this injury is to operate to stabilise the ligament,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“This will get him back playing sooner and avoid ongoing complications.

“We will confirm his timeframe to return to play following the surgery but expect him to miss the 6-8 weeks of footy.”

However, the Bulldogs could have a couple of important players available to return against Melbourne.

Ruck-forward Tim English (concussion) and midfielder Pat Lipinski (quad) are both in the frame to return.

First-year utility Anthony Scott (head knock) will also be a test later in the week, after being taken out of Saturday night’s win at three quarter time.

The news isn’t as positive for young gun Laitham Vandermeer, who is now set for surgery on a knee injury.

“Unfortunately we have tried a period of conservative management and Laitham has continued to suffer some catching in his knee from the cartilage damage,” Bell said.

“We have been required to resort to surgery to assist in his management. We’ll confirm his return to play plan following the surgery, in the next couple of days.”

Injury list

McLean (knee) – available
English (concussion) – test
Lipinski (quad) – test
Scott (head knock) – test
Ugle-Hagan (concussion) – test
Vandermeer (knee) – TBC
Martin (Achilles) – 1-2 weeks
Richards (ankle) – 2-3 weeks
Wood (hamstring) – 3-5 weeks
Treloar (ankle) – 6-8 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) – 7-9 weeks
Jong (hamstring) – 7-9 weeks

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Thought it was going to be 1-2 months with Treloar. It's a real shame but will give someone else like West or Garcia an opportunity to show their worth.

Good thing is Treloar and Dunkley will return around the same time in the lead up to finals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2021, 03:58 PM
This is really going to test us. Our midfield dominating is a big factor in us not exposing our defense to too many one on one's. Someone is going to have to really step up big time in the middle.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 04:01 PM
This is really going to test us. Our midfield dominating is a big factor in us not exposing our defense to too many one on one's. Someone is going to have to really step up big time in the middle.

Yeah losing 1 in there is somewhat replaceable given we had too many to go through there to begin with. But losing 2 will be a monstrous test. You'd expect it'll be between Garcia and West to come in and play in the midfield. It might also open the door for Mclean to come in a bit later if he finds some quick form.

The next 4 weeks are probably the toughest of our season. It'll be a real litmus test for the group especially considering our outs.

comrade
24-05-2021, 04:29 PM
The next 4 weeks are probably the toughest of our season. It'll be a real litmus test for the group especially considering our outs.

If we can somehow get through with 2-2, would be a great result. 11-3 with the schedule opening up and reinforcements on the way, would set us up nicely for the pointy end.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 04:34 PM
If we can somehow get through with 2-2, would be a great result. 11-3 with the schedule opening up and reinforcements on the way, would set us up nicely for the pointy end.

I'd be over the moon to go 2-2. Even more so if we can stop this whole losing 1 player a week thing that we seem to cop most years.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 04:38 PM

I'd be over the moon to go 2-2. Even more so if we can stop this whole losing 1 player a week thing that we seem to cop most years.

I want 4-0

But the most important two are Dees & Cats. If we can keep them down while moving ahead, that’s huge for the top 1-2-3.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 04:39 PM

I reckon that's bang on.

I think we will beat Melbourne and Freo and lose to the Cats and Eagles.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 04:43 PM
I want 4-0

But the most important two are Dees & Cats. If we can keep them down while moving ahead, that’s huge for the top 1-2-3.

We almost need a rooting thread for the top 4. Every loss for the cats, dees and lions helps our top 4 hopes. Even more so if like you said it's from us.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 04:50 PM
I reckon that's bang on.

I think we will beat Melbourne and Freo and lose to the Cats and Eagles.

I am confident against the Cats, but not WC at their home ground.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2021, 04:53 PM
I am confident against the Cats, but not WC at their home ground.

How long has it been we've won at Boggy Park?
I am concerned about this game. They're big bodies and without Dunks and now Treloar I think our mods won't have enough dominance to quell supply to Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 04:55 PM
I am concerned about this game. They're big bodies and without Dunks and now Treloar I think our mods won't have enough dominance to quell supply to Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan.

I think GVGjr & TD in particular are up for it. Ye of little faith.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 04:56 PM

If not, a heavy session at the Yarraville nets awaits.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-05-2021, 05:01 PM

Stupid fat fingers on my phone!!

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2021, 07:18 PM
I want 4-0

Absolutely agree, although it would be nice to finally get a win over Freo in Perth.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-05-2021, 09:12 PM
Really, really want the Cats one.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2021, 11:23 PM
Should we be talking with Jong and letting him know that this is his last season with us. Then ask him retire so we can go to the mid season draft and top up. Or maybe put VDM on ice for the year

azabob
25-05-2021, 08:52 AM
Should we be talking with Jong and letting him know that this is his last season with us. Then ask him retire so we can go to the mid season draft and top up. Or maybe put VDM on ice for the year

Bit of left field thinking but no I wouldn't be doing either of those options.

Asking Jong to retire could wreck the fabric of the playing group. He appears to be well liked by all.

On VDM, he's just the type to turn it on for a final and break a game open with a 3 goal quarter.

But it would be great to somehow get a pick in the mid season draft.

chef
25-05-2021, 09:40 AM

Chris Grant played in our last win there. Its the only one i can remember us winning there.

HOSE B ROMERO
25-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Chris Grant played in our last win there. Its the only one i can remember us winning there.

EJ never played in a win there. The Kardinia curse. Hell hole.

Eastdog
25-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Really, really want the Cats one.

Been a bogey team for many years. Would be great to win down the highway.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 04:57 PM
Players/return - against - Circa Expected Return Game

Fremantle (1 week)

Hannan (calf soreness) - possible here or after the bye
McLean (knee)
Scott (head knock)
Ugle-Hagan (concussion)

Bye

Geelong (3 Weeks)

Martin (Achilles)
Richards (ankle)
Garcia (Head Knock)

WCE (4 Weeks)

Wood (hamstring)

Kangaroos @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel
Suns @ Metricon

Adelaide (8 Weeks)

Treloar (ankle)
Dunkley (shoulder)
Jong (hamstring)

Melbourne @ MCG
Bombers @ Marvel
Hawks @ Tassie
Port @ Marvel
Bye

(Vandermeer unknown)

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 05:13 PM
The way they look to fall, we get softer home games before Dunks & Treloar might be back. Assuming they do and play well, they’ll be vital in the last four weeks where there’s possibly tricky games in trying to get to Top 2.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Players/return - against - Circa Expected Return Game

Fremantle (1 week)

Hannan (calf soreness) - possible here or after the bye
McLean (knee)
Scott (head knock)
Ugle-Hagan (concussion)

Bye

Geelong (3 Weeks)

Martin (Achilles)
Richards (ankle)
Garcia (Head Knock)

WCE (4 Weeks)

Wood (hamstring)

Kangaroos @ Marvel
Swans @ Marvel
Suns @ Metricon

Adelaide (8 Weeks)

Treloar (ankle)
Dunkley (shoulder)
Jong (hamstring)

Melbourne @ MCG
Bombers @ Marvel
Hawks @ Tassie
Port @ Marvel
Bye

(Vandermeer unknown)

I thin Bevo seemed to indicate in his presser that Martin would go to Fremantle, and was completely over his achilles.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 05:34 PM
I thin Bevo seemed to indicate in his presser that Martin would go to Fremantle, and was completely over his achilles.

Bonus. We sometimes almost all the time lack full transparency with our times periods, so I’ve just gone off the last list put out. Never the less, we don’t want injuries but if we had to schedule longer injuries we’d have them miss softer homes games and back for crucial games (some tricky). The best from a bad situation type thing.

GVGjr
29-05-2021, 08:00 PM

I had a quick chat to Martin at the Saints game and he indicated he was just about good to go. He probably needs a game to Footscray though.

1eyedog
29-05-2021, 08:11 PM
The way they look to fall, we get softer home games before Dunks & Treloar might be back. Assuming they do and play well, they’ll be vital in the last four weeks where there’s possibly tricky games in trying to get to Top 2.

Gee I'd love Dunks and Treloar back a week before the Demons game.

Re. Martin he really should be in a position to step right back in. He's a professional, should have good touch after a number of games under his belt and has a solid fitness base.

Did he mention he'll come back via Footscray?

bornadog
29-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Gee I'd love Dunks and Treloar back a week before the Demons game.

Re. Martin he really should be in a position to step right back in. He's a professional, should have good touch after a number of games under his belt and has a solid fitness base.

Did he mention he'll come back via Footscray?

I think he plays against Freo

Axe Man
31-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Martin, Hannan in selection mix (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/949721?fbclid=IwAR2pEiK74JPqOrI6ypr9Jc9sAZIN6NAf6MejjeW7jFsu 71pemBApz4lvozQ)

Ruckman Stefan Martin and forward Mitch Hannan are both on track to be available for Sunday’s clash with Fremantle.

Martin hasn’t played since round seven due to an Achilles tendon issue, while Hannan missed last week’s loss to Melbourne with calf tightness.

However, the pair look set to be fit to face the Dockers.

“Stef has had some persistent Achilles soreness. He needed some time off to allow us to fix the injury and to return him back to his best,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“He’s had a few really solid training sessions and will return to availability this week.

“Following our main training session last week, Mitch reported some low-level calf tightness.

“We didn’t want to take any risks with Mitch, so he didn’t play. He got through training well today and if he gets through the rest of the week like I expect, he’ll return to availability.”

Last week’s debutant, Riley Garcia, will be unavailable to take on the Dockers.

The midfielder was subbed out in the first quarter against the Dees and will need to work through concussion protocols before he is available to return.

Injury list

Hannan (calf) – available
Martin (Achilles) – available
Garcia (concussion) – TBC
Richards (ankle) – 1-2 weeks
Wood (hamstring) – 2-4 weeks
Vandermeer (knee) – 6-7 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) – 6-8 weeks
Jong (hamstring) – 6-8 weeks
Treloar (ankle) – 6-8 weeks

bulldogtragic
31-05-2021, 05:23 PM
4 players at 6 weeks.

bornadog
31-05-2021, 05:33 PM
Richards available after Bye

comrade
31-05-2021, 05:34 PM
I honestly reckon we take the Mumford approach to Stef Martin. Play him for a few weeks, spell him for a week or two, then bring him back. Nurse him through to the finals series so he's as fit as possible.

Mofra
31-05-2021, 05:36 PM
I honestly reckon we take the Mumford approach to Stef Martin. Play him for a few weeks, spell him for a week or two, then bring him back. Nurse him through to the finals series so he's as fit as possible.
I'd be happy with this, given it means we expose Sweet to the top level to hasten his development.

I love what English has been able to do as a forward/no 2 ruck and honestly believe that role is the hardest to fill in the AFL. There aren't too many good ones around. Sweet/Martin both filling the number 1 ruck role allows English to keep doing what he's doing.

comrade
31-05-2021, 05:40 PM
I'd be happy with this, given it means we expose Sweet to the top level to hasten his development.

I love what English has been able to do as a forward/no 2 ruck and honestly believe that role is the hardest to fill in the AFL. There aren't too many good ones around. Sweet/Martin both filling the number 1 ruck role allows English to keep doing what he's doing.

Yeah, we've found the perfect role for English's skill set and now it is up to the coaching and fitness staff to get Martin right for the pointy end of the year, while still banking enough wins with a combo of Sweet/Martin for the remainder of the home & away.

Sweet copped an absolute bath from the best in the business on the weekend but I still believe he has plenty of potential as our primary ruck, just not immediately.

The Adelaide Connection
06-06-2021, 10:52 PM
Any news on Martin? AC joint?

Also, what’s with our weird tendency to send injured players back on only for them to go down within a few contests?

Vred
07-06-2021, 03:18 AM

Also, what’s with our weird tendency to send injured players back on only for them to go down within a few contests?

2am and no upload of Bevo's presser yet on the AFL website, so no news as far as I know.

So at the halfway mark of the year, with our current injury list this is who we aim to get back and what round:

-BYE-
Round 14 - GMHBA vs Geelong - Riley Garcia, Ed Richards
Round 15 - Optus Stadium vs Eagles - N/A
Round 16 - TBA vs North Melbourne - Easton Wood
Round 17 - TBA vs Swans - N/A
Round 18 - TBA vs Suns - N/A
Round 19 - TBA vs Adelaide - N/A
Round 20 - TBA vs Melbourne - Laith Vandermeer, Lin Jong, Adam Treloar, Josh Dunkley
Round 21 - TBA vs Essendon
Round 22 - TBA vs Hawhtorn
Round 23 - TBA vs Port

Basically, if all goes well, should get some key soldiers back for our next game vs Melbourne, baring some needing to see some VFL first.

Vred
07-06-2021, 03:43 AM

Only thing I can currently fine, saying he should get up for Cats game

''Western Bulldogs will train through their designated AFL bye this week before engineering their own artificial break in a bid to outrun Victoria’s statewide lockdown.

The 10-2 Bulldogs jetted home from Perth on Sunday night’s red-eye flight after recording their maiden win at Optus Stadium to consolidate second place on the AFL ladder.

The 28-point win against a wounded Fremantle was set up by Marcus Bontempelli’s golden first half and unlikely goalkicker Tom Liberatore’s double-strike in the third quarter.

Aerial king Aaron Naughton dominated with 13 marks (five contested), although the usually-reliable set-shot finished with 1.5.

The Dogs were expected to have the AFL Players’ Association-mandated four days off this week, and intended on instead giving their players five days off between Monday and Friday.

But instead they will train at Whitten Oval throughout the lockdown and next week in the lead-up to Friday week’s game against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium, which is the next AFL match scheduled in Victoria.

Ruckman Stefan Martin (shoulder) was substituted out against the Dockers, but is likely to be fit to take on the Cats.

Pending the lifting of lockdown restrictions, the Dogs will then take their four-day holiday directly following that Cats clash.

A sore Stefan Martin is expected to be fit for the clash with Geelong. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

They will then return to work on June 23, which is four days before they are due to meet West Coast''

bornadog
09-06-2021, 11:02 AM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Dunkley
Shoulder
5-7 weeks

Riley Garcia
Concussion
TBC

Stefan Martin
AC joint
Test

Lin Jong
Hamstring
5-7 weeks

Ed Richards
Ankle
Test

Adam Treloar
Ankle
5-7 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
Knee
5-6 weeks

Easton Wood
Hamstring
1-3 weeks

Updated: Tuesday, June 8

Early prognosis

Martin returned from his Achilles injury and was struck out again, this time a shoulder concern in the Dogs' win over Fremantle. He faces a test to be available against Geelong in round 14. The bye comes at a good time for the Bulldogs who still have some star power sitting on the sidelines in Dunkley and Treloar, while Richards is getting close to his return from an early-season ankle injury. - Callum Twomey

comrade
09-06-2021, 11:14 AM
Looking ok at the moment, with Easton available post bye it'll only be Dunks and Treloar as definite best 22 as extended injuries and my gut feel is Dunks will be back within that 5 weeks.

Cross every finger and toe that we can keep fit for the rest of the year!

bornadog
09-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Martin's injury not so bad either. We have had a few shoulder issues this year.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-06-2021, 01:39 PM
Crozier, Dunkley, Gardner now Martin

comrade
09-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Updated list: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/955260

Garcia (concussion) available
Richards (ankle) available
Martin (shoulder) test
Wood (hamstring) test
Dunkley (shoulder) 5-6 weeks
Treloar (ankle) 5-6 weeks
Vandermeer (knee) 5-6 weeks
Jong (hamstring) 5-7 weeks

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2021, 05:18 PM

Martin (shoulder) test
Wood (hamstring) test

Starting to look better, Dunkley/Treloar will be two massive ins before finals.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Starting to look better, Dunkley/Treloar will be two massive ins before finals.

Hopefully they are back within that 5 to 6 weeks so they could get 5 games in before finals.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Hopefully they are back within that 5 to 6 weeks so they could get 5 games in before finals.

Plus the comp for small forward will hopefully be fierce. Cody, JJ, VDM, Scott, McNeil, West.

Hopefully the rest of the list can be healthy in the end of the season.

GVGjr
09-06-2021, 06:22 PM

Martin (shoulder) test
Wood (hamstring) test

The reinforcements are on the way

bulldogsthru&thru
09-06-2021, 06:39 PM
Plus the comp for small forward will hopefully be fierce. Cody, JJ, VDM, Scott, McNeil, West.

Hopefully the rest of the list can be healthy in the end of the season.

This. Great to see some important players coming back but hope we don’t add to the list. Manage to do that and we’re in a great position.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2021, 09:10 PM
Treloar: come on in leaps and bounds. Hoping to run late this week or early next week.

comrade
15-06-2021, 09:44 PM
Treloar: come on in leaps and bounds. Hoping to run late this week or early next week.

Great to hear that.

Grantysghost
15-06-2021, 09:53 PM
English no issues from that knee knock?

Eastdog
15-06-2021, 09:59 PM

Great news!

KT31
15-06-2021, 10:38 PM

Great stuff.

bornadog
15-06-2021, 11:12 PM
PLAYER
INJURY
ESTIMATED RETURN

Josh Dunkley
Shoulder
4-6 weeks

Stefan Martin
AC joint
Test

Lin Jong
Hamstring
4-6 weeks

Adam Treloar
Ankle
4-6 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
Knee
4-5 weeks

Easton Wood
Hamstring
Test

Updated: Tuesday, June 15

Bumper Bulldogs
16-06-2021, 07:38 AM
Martyn, Dunks, Treloar, are three of our best 6 players all out. Vanders, Wood also in our vest 22. It’s a fair chunk not available. We need to bloody JUH now as he won’t get into the side in 4 to 5 weeks.

1eyedog
16-06-2021, 10:31 AM
Martyn, Dunks, Treloar, are three of our best 6 players all out. Vanders, Wood also in our vest 22. It’s a fair chunk not available. We need to bloody JUH now as he won’t get into the side in 4 to 5 weeks.

Not sure Martin is inside our best 6 but agree he is important. The current crop of players out have no bearing on whether Marra plays or not.

josie
19-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Phew-Naughty cleared off serious rib or internal injuries. Makes the loss that little bit more palatable.

Hopefully Martin ok for Weagles. Anyone heard anything about how serious his shoulder injury is?

bornadog
19-06-2021, 03:46 PM
Phew-Naughty cleared off serious rib or internal injuries. Makes the loss that little bit more palatable.

Hopefully Martin ok for Weagles. Anyone heard anything about how serious his shoulder injury is?

No news on the shoulder

bornadog
19-06-2021, 03:47 PM
The 21-year-old was substituted out of Friday night’s game against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium at half time, after suffering a suspected rib injury in an incident seconds before the major break.Naughton was sent for scans following the game, which have cleared him of any serious rib injury or internal damage.
He will be monitored this week before determining his availability to face the West Coast Eagles next Sunday.

Hopefully right to go

KT31
19-06-2021, 04:51 PM
The 21-year-old was substituted out of Friday night’s game against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium at half time, after suffering a suspected rib injury in an incident seconds before the major break.Naughton was sent for scans following the game, which have cleared him of any serious rib injury or internal damage.

He will be monitored this week before determining his availability to face the West Coast Eagles next Sunday.

Hopefully right to go

Is this just smoke and mirror stuff again though?
More often than not we say a player is right to go or likely to play, then in the last minute we pull them from the side, case in point Martin this week.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2021, 07:13 PM
Not sure Martin is inside our best 6 but agree he is important. The current crop of players out have no bearing on whether Marra plays or not.

I recon he is in the top 6 as it enables English to play forward. If Martin played against the cats, we win simple as that

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-06-2021, 09:00 PM
Just looking at the stat's they put up on The First Crack.
When Dunks & Treloar were in the side we were number 1 for clearances and contested ball. That dipped to 7th after we lost Dunks. Since we lost Treloar it's dipped to 16th in comp.
Let's hope these guys are back sooner rather than later.
It's really hurting us. It's taking away our main strength.

comrade
20-06-2021, 09:38 PM
When Dunks & Treloar were in the side we were number 1 for clearances and contested ball. That dipped to 7th after we lost Dunks. Since we lost Treloar it's dipped to 16th in comp.

We're 3rd last for clearances since Trealor got injured?

bornadog
20-06-2021, 11:00 PM

We are ranked ONE in clearances.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-06-2021, 07:09 AM
We are ranked ONE in clearances.
Sorry, I didn't fully explain.
They showed our breakdowns for the first period of rounds when both were playing. Then for the 4 week block when only Treloar was in, and then our numbers during the period both have been out.

bornadog
21-06-2021, 09:59 AM
Sorry, I didn't fully explain.
They showed our breakdowns for the first period of rounds when both were playing. Then for the 4 week block when only Treloar was in, and then our numbers during the period both have been out.

I think they are wrong. I check the stats, every week and we win the clearances every week.

Even against Melbourne we won clearances 36 to 27.

The only game we lost clearances was against Freo by 4.

Mofra
21-06-2021, 10:03 AM
I think they are wrong. I check the stats, every week and we win the clearances every week.

Lies, Damned lies and statistics.

I'd love to know if we've abandoned our 6-man forward structure since losing Treloar because it seems we have. Any team can even up stats by pushing a high-forward up to the contest, which we know Bevo likes to do. That means you get killed on the rebound if the hack kick out of the stoppage is to an opposition out-number.

To lose a genuine stoppage player you can cover it, but it makes other parts of the ground weaker.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-06-2021, 10:20 AM

We might still be winning them, but that doesn't mean other team in that period aren't winning them more. The other start they compared was contested ball.

comrade
21-06-2021, 10:22 AM
We might still be winning them, but that doesn't mean other team in that period aren't winning them more. The other start they compared was contested ball.

We've lost the contested possession count in 2 of the 3 games since Treloar went down but I think Stef Martin battling has more to do with it.

bornadog
21-06-2021, 12:11 PM

No doubt we will be a better team when Dunks and Treloar come back in, but I still think they are bringing up stats that are not correct, or relevant.

Where I would like to improve is Intercept marks and contested marks around the ground.

Axe Man
21-06-2021, 06:10 PM
Naughton on track for Eagles (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/962318?fbclid=IwAR0i50hQnb2U-42nCgpGKC0CrJKTMMTwZDkgRNlSNp3fPjIvwfvSo0CcXT0)

Key forward Aaron Naughton is in line to face the West Coast Eagles on Sunday afternoon.

The 21-year-old was subbed out of Friday night’s loss to Geelong with a rib injury.

However, scans have cleared him of any major injury and he has travelled with the team to Perth as he looks to prove his fitness to play against the Eagles.

“At the end of the second quarter, Aaron received some heavy impact to the side of his trunk,” head of sports medicine, Chris Bell, said.

“We sent him off to hospital where scans cleared him of any serious structural damage.

“We’ll monitor Aaron this week but remain optimistic that he’ll be available to play the Eagles.”

Ruckman Stefan Martin is also expected to be available to play this week, after being a late withdrawal on Friday night.

“He was close to playing but didn’t quite tick all our boxes in the final fitness test,” Bell said.

“Stef will return to training this week and if he gets through like I expect, he’ll return to availability.”

Adam Treloar will resume running on an Alter G machine this weekend in the next steps of his rehabilitation from ankle syndesmosis surgery.

Josh Dunkley (shoulder) and Lin Jong (hamstring) are both within a month of returning – the former back in non-contact training and the latter now back running after a six-week spell.

Injury list

Butler (groin) test
Martin (shoulder) test
Naughton (ribs) test
Jong (hamstring) 4 weeks
Dunkley (shoulder) 4-5 weeks
Vandermeer (knee) 4-6 weeks
Treloar (ankle) 5-7 weeks

1eyedog
21-06-2021, 06:12 PM
Ads' healing has stagnated.

Great to see Dunks training. Also, Bell is saying Martin will be available for selection this week but I didn't think he went to Perth (VFL?)

comrade
21-06-2021, 06:38 PM

Great to see Dunks training. Also, Bell is saying Martin will be available for selection this week but I didn't think he went to Perth (VFL?)

Martin was apparently available last week too, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Would be very weird if he was right to play and then ran around in the VFL while English gets pounded by NN but who knows?

MrMahatma
21-06-2021, 06:39 PM

Do they HAVE to be over there for a week before WA will let them play? Or could he show up later in the week?

azabob
21-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Do they HAVE to be over there for a week before WA will let them play? Or could he show up later in the week?

If he can show up later in the week and play, I reckon the whole team would take that option.

bornadog
21-06-2021, 08:02 PM

I think he did go to Perth. No one has confirmed he didn't

comrade
21-06-2021, 08:07 PM

Stevo on Ch7 said the 23 who played on Friday plus Schache, Garcia and Richards. He may have got it wrong, but that's as rock solid intel as you're going to get.

Happy Days
21-06-2021, 11:22 PM
Stevo on Ch7 said the 23 who played on Friday plus Schache, Garcia and Richards. He may have got it wrong, but that's as rock solid intel as you're going to get.

Maybe this includes Martin? He was *selected* to play I guess.

Axe Man
22-06-2021, 10:02 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/FRh1VW0g/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
22-06-2021, 10:10 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/FRh1VW0g/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Yeah, I saw that, but doesn't mean alot. :)

comrade
22-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Stevo confirmed that the only additions to the 23 from Friday were Schache, Garcia and Richards. If he says it, you can take it to the bank.

Happy Days
22-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Stevo confirmed that the only additions to the 23 from Friday were Schache, Garcia and Richards. If he says it, you can take it to the bank.

But what about what I want to believe?

Axe Man
22-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I saw that, but doesn't mean alot. :)

But you just said nobody confirmed Martin didn't fly to Perth? :confused: Two journos from separate organisations have done just that. I don't think we can read much into selection news from the head physio's reports. I hope we have somehow couriered big Stef over to Perth but indications aren't promising.

Ghost Dog
22-06-2021, 10:29 AM
The other day I remembered Roarke Smith's horror run. I almost forgot about it, and there is he being a soldier.
Fingers crossed for Jongy. Love the fact we are keeping faith.

Axe Man
22-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Dunkley targets swift return (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/962380/dunkley-targets-swift-return?fbclid=IwAR33d6uPB3y1S7iKM8n8Grx3xpCqu7GVAbU3DolvTDp6 c-WYM5S0DReBh7s)

Star midfielder Josh Dunkley is targeting a return to football inside a month.

The 24-year-old is on the way back from a shoulder reconstruction after being injured in the Bulldogs’ round six win against the GWS Giants.

Dunkley is already back running and completing some non-contact skills sessions.

He’s hopeful he could have as many as six weeks of football under his belt ahead of a potential finals campaign.

“It’s coming along slowly,” Dunkley told ABC Grandstand ahead of Friday night’s clash against Geelong.

“I’m (eight) weeks into the rehab process and seeing some light at the end of the tunnel which is good.

“My goal is to get back around round 18, that’s what I’ve been told by the medicos.

“I’ve been able to join in some light skills sessions in Footscray at the moment, so it’s been good to be back out there with the boys.

“The contact stuff will come in the next few weeks. I’m looking forward to getting back out there soon.”

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2021, 03:56 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/634791/injury-ladder-who-s-hurting-the-most-who-s-sitting-pretty-

This shows how good Melbourne have had it on the injury front. Geelong too.

DOG GOD
22-06-2021, 03:59 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/634791/injury-ladder-who-s-hurting-the-most-who-s-sitting-pretty-

Yep, no surprise here. Let’s hope they cop a few (to their best players) going into finals.

comrade
22-06-2021, 04:02 PM
Going by that list, we're the only top 4 side that isn't in the bottom 4 for injury impact.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Going by that list, we're the only top 4 side that isn't in the bottom 4 for injury impact.

Yeah. It probably shows that if us, West Coast and Richmond get healthy, it opens things up plenty.

Happy Days
22-06-2021, 04:15 PM

You’re trying to tell me that Dylan Shiel is a more significant absence than Josh Dunkley and Adam Treloar? Zero buys.

comrade
22-06-2021, 04:23 PM
You’re trying to tell me that Dylan Shiel is a more significant absence than Josh Dunkley and Adam Treloar? Zero buys.

Dylan Shiel missing has allowed Parish to flourish. Shiel will be lucky to hold on to a forward flank position by the end of the year.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2021, 04:31 PM

I think the more depth you have, the more you get punished in this list.

Happy Days
22-06-2021, 07:23 PM
Dylan Shiel missing has allowed Parish to flourish. Shiel will be lucky to hold on to a forward flank position by the end of the year.

No one has ever gotten further or been more highly rated on eye test alone.

1eyedog
23-06-2021, 12:17 AM
No one has ever gotten further or been more highly rated on eye test alone.

Shaun Higgins says hi.

Doggy
25-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Just been reported on Channel 10 that Stefan Martin is injured again. This time groin soreness and will be out for a couple more weeks.

Grantysghost
25-06-2021, 07:09 PM
Just been reported on Channel 10 that Stefan Martin is injured again. This time groin soreness and will be out for a couple more weeks.

Gee feeling like he went one year too many. Hope he can get back he's super important.

The bulldog tragician
25-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Gee feeling like he went one year too many. Hope he can get back he's super important.

I’m somehow hoping he does a Clark Keating and his body is right in September

chef
25-06-2021, 07:51 PM
Stick a fork in him, his body is done.

Mantis
25-06-2021, 07:51 PM

Channel 7 news said it will be more like a month.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Stick a fork in him, his body is done.

Absolutely. But it’s (hopefully) shown Bevo the need for a mature good ruck and the benefit of Timmy as a forward threat. If so, we will get serious about getting a good ruckman for next year.

chef
25-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Absolutely. But it’s (hopefully) shown Bevo the need for a mature good ruck and the benefit of Timmy as a forward threat. If so, we will get serious about getting a good ruckman for next year.

Who you got in mind?

bulldogtragic
25-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Who you got in mind?

That’s the harder part. The better ones are contracted and I’m not sure we will part with the future first for a ruck. I’m open to it. If we start looking at mature guys down the pecking order, names arise like Chol, Vardy or Meek and we hope the rise being number one. Or does a club like Geelong look to get back into the draft and part with Stanley? (Assuming they think they’re not a serious threat next year)

The Bulldogs Bite
25-06-2021, 09:36 PM
We don't need a superstar so I'd consider guys like Vardy if they were fit enough / passed a medical.

Chol is too much like English.

comrade
26-06-2021, 08:27 AM
That’s the harder part. The better ones are contracted and I’m not sure we will part with the future first for a ruck. I’m open to it. If we start looking at mature guys down the pecking order, names arise like Chol, Vardy or Meek and we hope the rise being number one. Or does a club like Geelong look to get back into the draft and part with Stanley? (Assuming they think they’re not a serious threat next year)

Throw the sink at Nankervis.

bornadog
26-06-2021, 07:19 PM
Bulldogs premiership skipper’s nervous wait after ankle injury in VFL (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hawk-jarman-impey-s-ankle-injury-likely-to-be-season-ending-20210626-p584hw.html)

Western Bulldogs premiership captain Easton Wood faces a nervous wait on scans after injuring his ankle in the VFL against Coburg on Saturday afternoon.

In the defender’s second game back in the VFL after returning from injury he left the ground before half-time and was on crutches and wearing a moonboot after the game.

The club said it was hopeful the injury was merely an ankle sprain but it would be assessed in the next few days after the 31-year-old has scans.

Wood has not played in the AFL since the Bulldogs defeated Port Adelaide in Adelaide in round nine, with the club also missing ruckman Stef Martin and midfielders Adam Treloar, Josh Dunkley through injury.

bornadog
28-06-2021, 03:10 PM
Easton Wood out for about 3 to 4 weeks according to Stevo.

EasternWest
28-06-2021, 03:16 PM
Easton Wood out for about 3 to 4 weeks according to Stevo.

Can't take a trick and his form's been good this year too.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Wood might need a couple of weeks at VFL level too just to test out if he can get through a game. Maybe back in the seniors Round 22.

divvydan
29-06-2021, 03:58 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/968104/gardner-set-for-surgery

Gardner 6-8 weeks, Wood 3-4 weeks and Stef Martin at least 2 weeks.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2021, 03:58 PM
Western Bulldogs defender Ryan Gardner is set for surgery to repair a shoulder injury he sustained in last weekend’s victory over West Coast.

Gardner was subbed out of the game in the third quarter of the 55-point win, after courageously contesting a marking contest.

He will undergo an operation later this week and is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks.

It’s the second shoulder injury the impressive 24-year-old has suffered this season. He injured the opposite arm against North Melbourne in Round 3 and returned to the AFL team in Round 12.

Meanwhile, defender Easton Wood is expected to miss the next 3-4 weeks of football after damaging an ankle ligament during Footscray’s VFL win over Coburg on Saturday.

Ruckman Stefan Martin will also miss at least the next fortnight with groin soreness.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/968104/gardner-set-for-surgery