PDA

View Full Version : Adam Treloar poses questions about Bulldogs’ midfield mix

GVGjr
31-12-2020, 04:10 PM
AFL 2021 preview: Addition of Adam Treloar poses questions about Bulldogs’ midfield mix (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/afl-2021-preview-addition-of-adam-treloar-poses-questions-about-bulldogs-midfield-mix/news-story/7a04d6110f489e0a09f8419a500a2adb)

Adam Treloar will add to the Bulldogs already stacked midfield but what does that mean for captain Marcus Bontempelli? The big questions facing Luke Beveridge.

The Bulldogs haven’t won a final since that stunning run to the 2016 premiership and while they’ve been a young side under Luke Beveridge, it’s time for maturity.

Does the addition of Adam Treloar make them a serious premiership threat? And what does his arrival mean for Marcus Bontempelli?

Then there’s No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. The Bulldogs have told fans to be patient but with so much buzz around him, surely he gets a gig in Round 1 — it’s just a matter of where Beveridge plays him.

Jon Ralph answers the big questions facing the Bulldogs heading into 2021.

OFF-SEASON

INS: Adam Treloar, Mitch Hannan, Stef Martin, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (pick 1), Dominic Bedendo (pick 55), Lachlan McNeil (rookie draft)

OUTS: Ben Cavarra (delisted), Tory Dickson (retired), Billy Gowers (delisted), Fergus Greene (delisted), Brad Lynch (delisted), Callum Porter (delisted), Matt Suckling (delisted), Jackson Trengove (delisted), Lachie Young (traded to North Melbourne)

COACH STATUS

Luke Beveridge is safe as houses with a contract through to 2023 and a stocked list that has no excuses for 2021 given the Dogs kept Josh Dunkley from joining Essendon and secured Adam Treloar from Collingwood. But since that remarkable four-win finals campaign of 2016, the Dogs haven’t won a final, crushed against GWS and then soundly beaten early by St Kilda but roaring home to get within four points in the one that got away. They seem to have been an eternally young side under Beveridge but season 2021 is time for maturity to kick in. As a coach, he won’t want to finish a one-flag wonder — even though that premiership will be considered one of the greats in history.

GAME PLAN

The Dogs were happy handballers again, first in handballs but only 15th in kicks as they again used a high-volume system to move the ball from end to end.

But while their scoring profile was fine the troubles of Josh Bruce in his first year and an injury to Aaron Naughton meant the forward line at times stuttered. Surprisingly, Mitch Wallis returned a club-high 25 goals.

They were 18th for hit-outs, a clear cause for concern. Tim English’s centre square ruck work was solid but he was often monstered around the ground, which saw the Dogs attempt all kinds of left-field solutions including Josh Dunkley in the ruck.

That’s why recruiting Stef Martin was such a smart play.

One key area of interest is how Beveridge will manage his multi-talented midfield now that Treloar adds to the mix. Will it tempt him to throw captain Marcus Bontempelli forward more often?

THEIR 2020 DRAFT HAUL

Will their draft kids make an impact? You better believe it. The Dogs keep preaching patience with Jamarra Ugle Hagan, stating quite rightly that he won’t be a fully-formed product for years. But those who know Ugle-Hagan believe his speed will make him a perfect third leading forward who can create mismatches behind Josh Bruce and Aaron Naughton. Mitch Hannan and Mitch Wallis should have a field day at times as well. His NAB League coach Leigh Clarke believes Ugle-Hagan is even adaptable enough to play wing or as an intercept defender in his early days as an AFL player. As he said, you don’t pick a player worth of the No.1 selection then ease him into the VFL so they will play him, it’s just a matter of where.

TRADE TABLE REPORT

The Dogs controversially kept Josh Dunkley but secured Adam Treloar as they also recruited experienced ruckman Stef Martin and former Dogs VFL players Mitch Hannan.

Martin’s acquisition is massive — he is strong-bodied high-possession ruck who will help at the stoppages and also release English to play key forward at times. Luke Beveridge believes Hannan will play wing as well as forward. And clearly Treloar gives them another star midfielder who at his best bursts from stoppages and hits targets laces-out. But Beveridge will need to address his lack of goalpower. Back to the Bontempelli forward dilemma.

PLAYERS THEY CAN REINVENT

No coach likes versatile players more than Luke Beveridge, casting Mitch Wallis as a small forward, Josh Dunkley as a quasi-ruckman and Caleb Daniel as a half back.

After a miserable 14.8 year from 17 games, will he at least trial Bruce as an intercept defender given he started his career down back? Or throw Naughton back at stages given the Dogs still need another marking back? And can Treloar make a difference at times off half back given there are so many mids Beveridge needs to find places to slot them into the best 22?

READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP

Bailey Smith is on the brink of stardom after 382-possession second season that earned him seventh placing in the best-and-fairest. The sky is the limit. Rhylee West added four games to his total after three in his debut year. He has all the attributes as a clever half forward but this is a hard team to break into. Tim English enters his fifth season and after 47 games his best is breathtaking but his week-to-week ceiling is still too low. But Dogs fans still believe he can be a Dean Cox-style ruckman if his development continues.

BEST 22 FOR NEXT SEASON

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier

HB: Jason Johannisen, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel

C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Jackson Macrae

HF: Josh Dunkley, Josh Bruce, Mitch Hannan

F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

R: Stef Martin, Adam Treloar, Bailey Smith

INT: Tim English, Ed Richards, Bailey Williams, Laitham Vandermeer

CHAMPION DATA SAYS

Good: The Bulldogs generated an inside 50 from 26 per cent of their defensive 50 chains – ranked No.1 in the competition.

Bad: They didn’t defend the back half of the ground well. They conceded a score from 43 per cent of their oppositions inside 50 entries – ranked 15th. They also ranked 14th at allowing their opposition to generate an inside 50 from a defensive 50 chain.

FINISH THE LAST FIVE YEARS: 2016: 1st (premiers), 2017: 10th, 2018: 13th, 2019: 7th, 2020: 7th

TAB PREMIERSHIP ODDS: $14. Top four: $4.50. Top eight: $1.80

comrade
31-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Geez, Bont is a bit stiff not to at least sneak onto the bench...

GVGjr
31-12-2020, 04:43 PM
Geez, Bont is a bit stiff not to at least sneak onto the bench...

I had a ping at him on the HUN. It will be adjusted soon

mjp
31-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Martins disposal averages look like this:

2014 - 22
2015 - 21
2016 - 16
2017 - 17
2018 - 18
2019 - 16
2020 - 7

English averages 13 (and has every year since his first)
Grundy dropped to 14 last year and before that was 21-20-18-18.

I have no objection to Martin being described as a high possession player if we are getting the version from 2014/15. But he hasn't been a high possession ruck for quite a while...and if we have recruited the 2020 version, well...

GVGjr
31-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Martin had a bad run with injuries this year so hopefully we get him like his 2018 season form line. It's a big ask but I think he was worth the risk providing we aren't still using a 'rebuild' as a way of explaining our fluctuating form.

GVGjr
31-12-2020, 07:28 PM
So out of the team that Ralphy put together who comes out to bring Bontempelli in?
Is there anyone else what should be in our best 22?

Eastdog
31-12-2020, 07:40 PM
The Bont would have to be best 22 for sure!

He just makes thing happen for us and can change a match so quickly.

GVGjr
31-12-2020, 07:54 PM
The Bont would have to be best 22 for sure!

I think there are 3 questionable selections in Ralphy's team

I suspect Ugle-Hagan will be the unlucky one and perhaps Martin will have to earn his spot in front of English. Is Hannan a walk up start as well?

Duryea must be unlucky and Gardner should be a starter given he was a preferred defender this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-12-2020, 07:58 PM
I read the title as Adam posing questions about our mix only to see its about the opinion of John Ralph. 2020 serves up one more disappointment.

Danjul
31-12-2020, 09:41 PM

I suspect Ugle-Hagan will be the unlucky one and perhaps Martin will have to earn his spot in front of English. Is Hannan a walk up start as well?

Duryea must be unlucky and Gardner should be a starter given he was a preferred defender this year.
That was a costly mistake in 2020, he had one good game.

If Martin gets 1st ruck English could easily be CHB or CHF. Marking, kicking and ground play are all superior to other contenders for both positions. Naughton could be either full forward or back.

Once we decide not to be slaughtered in the ruck the unleashed talent should make the Dogs unstoppable.

bornadog
01-01-2021, 02:08 AM
Ralph has lost his marbles

jeemak
01-01-2021, 02:59 AM

Playing the Bont at Footscray early didn't do much damage to him, and I suspect easing JUH into the season won't do a lot of damage either. If he plays well in the practice matches it will put pressure on Bruce to perform, and could actually end up pushing Naughton back which is what I want to see (particularly if all of Bruce, English and Martin get a game and are contributing).

I don't think Hannan is a walk up start, by any stretch. He adds support to our forward mix generally, but if Wallis and Dale are playing well, kicking goals and putting pressure on, and Vander is running hard and getting a bit of it then he's fringe. West has a bit of a say in how much opportunity Hannan gets, as does Weightman. I like him being recruited as it really sets up the small to mid-size forwards for healthy competition which is exactly what that area of the ground requires to keep folks hungry.

The backline is still a bit of a quandary for mine. I just don't think having only Keath as our taller defender cuts the mustard, Gardner became safer as the year progressed though we also have Young and with a good preseason he would have claims for being included in the back six........and again, there's still Naughton to consider.

I don't know whether we've actually gotten better in the off-season. We're definitely thicker with depth I think, though unless our core players improve with maturity and gel a bit more we could find ourselves in the same area of the ladder again and frustrated because of it.

GVGjr
01-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Playing the Bont at Footscray early didn't do much damage to him, and I suspect easing JUH into the season won't do a lot of damage either. If he plays well in the practice matches it will put pressure on Bruce to perform, and could actually end up pushing Naughton back which is what I want to see (particularly if all of Bruce, English and Martin get a game and are contributing).

I don't think Hannan is a walk up start, by any stretch. He adds support to our forward mix generally, but if Wallis and Dale are playing well, kicking goals and putting pressure on, and Vander is running hard and getting a bit of it then he's fringe. West has a bit of a say in how much opportunity Hannan gets, as does Weightman. I like him being recruited as it really sets up the small to mid-size forwards for healthy competition which is exactly what that area of the ground requires to keep folks hungry.

The backline is still a bit of a quandary for mine. I just don't think having only Keath as our taller defender cuts the mustard, Gardner became safer as the year progressed though we also have Young and with a good preseason he would have claims for being included in the back six........and again, there's still Naughton to consider.

I don't know whether we've actually gotten better in the off-season. We're definitely thicker with depth I think, though unless our core players improve with maturity and gel a bit more we could find ourselves in the same area of the ladder again and frustrated because of it.

Yes, we've got more than enough height on the list for key defenders with Gardner, Young and Keath all being 197cm and there has been a bit of speculation that Bruce might be tried as a defender as well although I doubt it and we have the option of moving Naughton back there as well. Then we have Cordy who I don't think is undersized either so we seem to have it covered
I would have still liked us to draft a tall defender and we did bid on a player but probably ran out of options after that.

Out back line has a great blend of experience, height, pace and creativity so the challenge is probably more about unlocking the potential there more than anything else

Testekill
01-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Going back to full length games and capped rotations means that we have two A midfield rotations. That's the answer to the question

bornadog
01-01-2021, 01:40 PM
So out of the team that Ralphy put together who comes out to bring Bontempelli in?
Is there anyone else what should be in our best 22?

The contenders to be dropped are Ed, Wood and JUH.

Twodogs
01-01-2021, 06:40 PM
The contenders to be dropped are Ed, Wood and JUH.

I can see JJ not being an automatic selection too. Young for Cordy (and I'm a huge Cordy fan) could be another move the selection we could go for.

Mofra
01-01-2021, 08:15 PM
Martin isn't a week to week ruckman for mine - he'll speed up English's development and play a bunch of games to stop English getting monstered, but if I was to pick the ruckman to take the bulk of the duties I still think English is the guy.

Martin may be an 'every second week' euckman and provides ruck coaching outside of the soft cap. I'm very happy we got him but I don't think he's the ruckman the media heads think he is.

Hannan is great near goal, mediocre up the field. If Hannan is running around on the wing we're not going great - VDM rotates on one wing with Smith/Macrae/Treloar taking rotations too. Hunter glues himself to the other wing and makes up for last year.

We play Keath, and one of Cordy/Young/Gardner and back our system in to slow the play down enough to allow our interceptors to go to work.

Twodogs
01-01-2021, 09:50 PM
Martin isn't a week to week ruckman for mine - he'll speed up English's development and play a bunch of games to stop English getting monstered, but if I was to pick the ruckman to take the bulk of the duties I still think English is the guy.

Martin may be an 'every second week' euckman and provides ruck coaching outside of the soft cap. I'm very happy we got him but I don't think he's the ruckman the media heads think he is.

Hannan is great near goal, mediocre up the field. If Hannan is running around on the wing we're not going great - VDM rotates on one wing with Smith/Macrae/Treloar taking rotations too. Hunter glues himself to the other wing and makes up for last year.

We play Keath, and one of Cordy/Young/Gardner and back our system in to slow the play down enough to allow our interceptors to go to work.

This is really important. Our defence must start while the ball is 50-60 metres away with our mids taking responsibility for opponents and manning them up or sitting them on their arse before the ball comes into that zone. We have to make the defenders' job simpler and not let the ball ping into the opposition forward 50 at high speed.

Danjul
01-01-2021, 10:39 PM
This is really important. Our defence must start while the ball is 50-60 metres away with our mids taking responsibility for opponents and manning them up or sitting them on their arse before the ball comes into that zone. We have to make the defenders' job simpler and not let the ball ping into the opposition forward 50 at high speed.

We have consistently proven that this is impossible when all the team is focused on a handball game used to run the ball over a long distance . It drags players away from their opponents, so one mistake turns the ball over to loose players ready to link up. They deliver the ball to their forwards with precision that makes our backmen irrelevant.

GVGjr
03-01-2021, 08:19 PM
Ralphy has updated his best 22

Now
BEST 22 FOR NEXT SEASON

C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae

F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Tom Liberatore

INT: Tim English, Ed Richards, Bailey Williams, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Before

C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Jackson Macrae

F: Mitch Wallis, Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

INT: Tim English, Ed Richards, Bailey Williams, Laitham Vandermeer

Vandermeer is the unlucky one

Danjul
03-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Ralphy has updated his best 22

Knows a little about football, nothing about the Dogs. Should be

B: Easton Wood, Aaron Naughton , Hayden Crozier

HB: Jason Johannisen, Tim English, Alex Keath

HF: Josh Dunkley, Josh Schache , Caleb Daniel

F: Mitch Wallis, josh Bruce, Zaine Cordy

INT: Tom Liberatore, Laitham Vandermeer, Bailey Williams, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Start saving for your finals tickets.

bornadog
04-01-2021, 12:13 AM

Tim English CHB - i will run down Bourke St naked if that happens. :D

jeemak
04-01-2021, 01:21 AM

Well I don't think the footy club will be inundated with requests for it to if that's the case.

Danjul
04-01-2021, 08:09 AM
1. It’s where he has played his best football.
2. He has the kicking ability to bring Schache into the game.
3. He can move forward if Bruce has a repeat of 2020. Bruce has to be close to goal, he struggled with distance and accuracy (I suspect that he is carrying a back/hip injury).

comrade
04-01-2021, 08:26 AM

I'm don't agree with it but would love this team roll out just once to see what happens.

GVGjr
04-01-2021, 08:37 AM
1. It’s where he has played his best football.
2. He has the kicking ability to bring Schache into the game.
3. He can move forward if Bruce has a repeat of 2020. Bruce has to be close to goal, he struggled with distance and accuracy (I suspect that he is carrying a back/hip injury).

Can he defend the position and his opponent though or is he more of a zone player?

Danjul
04-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Can he defend the position and his opponent though or is he more of a zone player?
An option is to drop Bruce, put English at CHF and Schache at FF.

Young is my preference for CHB but, as 2020 proved, Bruce is undropable.

soupman
04-01-2021, 10:57 AM
An option is to drop Bruce
I'm in.

The move I like is Cordy forward. I don't see how we do it in real life as we have an abundance of mediocre to good tall forwards and about 1 key defender, but after being very big on Cordy for his 2017-18 in defence his 2019-20 have been atrocious and I'm starting to think he needs a change to reinvigorate his career. As a defender he is not big enough to play proper tall, and is getting annihilated in one on one contests while giving us nothing to compensate (obviously his left foot inboard kicks excluded, they are awesome).

I actually think I'd cut him from our defence before Gardner, and I don't particularly rate Gardner.

jeemak
04-01-2021, 10:58 AM
I'm in.

The move I like is Cordy forward. I don't see how we do it in real life as we have an abundance of mediocre to good tall forwards and about 1 key defender, but after being very big on Cordy for his 2017-18 in defence his 2019-20 have been atrocious and I'm starting to think he needs a change to reinvigorate his career. As a defender he is not big enough to play proper tall, and is getting annihilated in one on one contests while giving us nothing to compensate (obviously his left foot inboard kicks excluded, they are awesome).

I actually think I'd cut him from our defence before Gardner, and I don't particularly rate Gardner.

He could get himself into the gym and work his arse off to get stronger first.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-01-2021, 11:04 AM
I'm in.

Agree with this - especially those inboard left foot kicks, they are a thing of beauty.

I think Cordy needs to reinvent himself or he's done. He's fortunate we have essentially no key backs aside from Keath who are quality because he wouldn't get a game in a large majority of sides as a defender.

I liked him as a forward, but hard to see a spot for him with Bruce, Naughty, Marra and Schache. Also worth noting while he did some nice things forward at times, we forget Grundy took about 15 marks in the Grand Final on him.

For mine, Cordy should be a depth player in 2021.

soupman
04-01-2021, 11:07 AM
He could get himself into the gym and work his arse off to get stronger first.

Well judging by that one photo at the pool he has put the weight on already, just not sure it's making him stronger at this point.

GVGjr
04-01-2021, 11:21 AM
An option is to drop Bruce, put English at CHF and Schache at FF.

Young is my preference for CHB but, as 2020 proved, Bruce is undropable.

I can't see dropping Bruce given form was never a criteria for him in 2020.
I do remain confident that we will improve this year

azabob
04-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Agree with this - especially those inboard left foot kicks, they are a thing of beauty.

I think Cordy needs to reinvent himself or he's done. He's fortunate we have essentially no key backs aside from Keath who are quality because he wouldn't get a game in a large majority of sides as a defender.

I liked him as a forward, but hard to see a spot for him with Bruce, Naughty, Marra and Schache. Also worth noting while he did some nice things forward at times, we forget Grundy took about 15 marks in the Grand Final on him.

For mine, Cordy should be a depth player in 2021.

Who did Grundy take 15 marks on?

Danjul
04-01-2021, 12:38 PM
Who did Grundy take 15 marks on?
Heath Grundy .took 9 marks, only one Sydney player took more.

But Cordy still finished with 11 possessions and a great goal- not a bad outing for someone with less than a dozen games and against the best team in the competition (according to the experts)

comrade
04-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Cordy also had some very important moments up forward in the prelim (not least that glorious knee to Cal Ward's chops). Not sure why we haven't tried him there more since then.

Mofra
04-01-2021, 01:47 PM
Cordy also had some very important moments up forward in the prelim (not least that glorious knee to Cal Ward's chops). Not sure why we haven't tried him there more since then.
Cordy has only really played as a defensive forward and I am dead against having a tall forward - one of your most attacking players on the field - playing primarily a negative role.

Mofra
04-01-2021, 01:53 PM
I can't see dropping Bruce given form was never a criteria for him in 2020.
I do remain confident that we will improve this year
Bruce was poor - but so was virtually every other KPF in the competition last year, bar Hawkins, Dixon, Kennedy and Lynch.
He went at half a goal per game (taking out the 6 goal effort against North) - but weirdly, his workrate over the last month was much better and I think it bodes well for improvement in 2021.

He has two players vying for his role as the 'no 1 KPF and not get outmarked' - Naughton who we want to release a little higher up the ground, and English. Naughton plays anyway and English will play more first ruck than we expect as I have no faith in Stef Martin to play week in, week out at age 34.

Danjul
04-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Bruce was poor - but so was virtually every other KPF in the competition last year, bar Hawkins, Dixon, Kennedy and Lynch.
He went at half a goal per game (taking out the 6 goal effort against North) - but weirdly, his workrate over the last month was much better and I think it bodes well for improvement in 2021.

He has two players vying for his role as the 'no 1 KPF and not get outmarked' - Naughton who we want to release a little higher up the ground, and English. Naughton plays anyway and English will play more first ruck than we expect as I have no faith in Stef Martin to play week in, week out at age 34.

Bruce was given more opportunities than any failed full forward in history. A large proportion of his limited possessions was when he was playing up the ground, not doing what he was recruited for. How many chances does he get in 2021? If he hasn’t averaged 1 goal per game by August someone else must be given an opportunity.

Mofra
04-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Bruce was given more opportunities than any failed full forward in history. A large proportion of his limited possessions was when he was playing up the ground, not doing what he was recruited for. How many chances does he get in 2021? If he hasn’t averaged 1 goal per game by August someone else must be given an opportunity.
If Naughton and/or Martin is fit (allowing up to push English forward) we may have other options, we just didn't have other options in 2020. I don't see English as a long term no 1 forward option either so if it does happen I hope it's short lived. I expect JUH will take time so not planning on him being a legitimate no 1 or no 2 option in 2021.

jeemak
04-01-2021, 05:48 PM
If Naughton and/or Martin is fit (allowing up to push English forward) we may have other options, we just didn't have other options in 2020. I don't see English as a long term no 1 forward option either so if it does happen I hope it's short lived. I expect JUH will take time so not planning on him being a legitimate no 1 or no 2 option in 2021.

I wonder where this will end up........... ;)

jeemak
04-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Well judging by that one photo at the pool he has put the weight on already, just not sure it's making him stronger at this point.

Yeah I know footballers come in all shapes and sizes, but didn't think any got away with being borderline skinny fat that close to the close of the season......albeit standing next to Buku he was always going to look second rate.

Twodogs
05-01-2021, 12:27 AM
I'm don't agree with it but would love this team roll out just once to see what happens.

Please God no. Anything that involves BAD running naked down Bourke Street can't be good.

Bulldog Joe
05-01-2021, 08:15 AM
Yeah I know footballers come in all shapes and sizes, but didn't think any got away with being borderline skinny fat that close to the close of the season......albeit standing next to Buku he was always going to look second rate.

I think we are all forgetting that Cordy had a pectoral muscle tear during the season. This would have seriously curtailed any weights he could do and may be a strong contribution to his post season appearance.

Danjul
05-01-2021, 11:02 AM

Bruce was rested after being goalless 3 times in 6 matches. He came back into the team and had 4 consecutive goalless games. Then he got one in the last game.

That’s 1 goal in 5 matches. Rewarded: selection in the final. (Which was lost because nobody could kick goals).

It’s consistent with other aspects of that (old?) game plan:

1. Ruck is irrelevant- don’t need hitouts.
2. Full forward is irrelevant- don’t need goals.

There were numerous options, they were simply inconsistent with someone’s fixed mind set.

Unless the game plan is patched up it could be another stressful season.

Mofra
05-01-2021, 11:28 AM
There were numerous options, they were simply inconsistent with someone’s fixed mind set.
I disagree with this point.
Naughton plays whenever he's fit, but Lewy Young (by rumour) fronted up in poor condition and was a mile off form wise. Schache isn't a KPF but was unavailable anyway.
Who else, Sweet? Bevo publically stated his forward-craft was the reason he didn't get a game in 2020.
The cupboard was bare. If there was a viable alternative, I would have been all for them.

Danjul
05-01-2021, 12:03 PM
I disagree with this point.
Naughton plays whenever he's fit, but Lewy Young (by rumour) fronted up in poor condition and was a mile off form wise. Schache isn't a KPF but was unavailable anyway.
Who else, Sweet? Bevo publically stated his forward-craft was the reason he didn't get a game in 2020.
The cupboard was bare. If there was a viable alternative, I would have been all for them.

Bruce displayed a total lack of forward craft in the majority of his games. And he was useless in the ruck because he had no ruck-craft. In other words, he was a mile off form wise, But we persevered. We put all on potential, like problem gamblers, and it never came good.

Personally, I cannot understand how Young couldn’t get fit in a whole season and Sweet couldn’t learn anything useful in two whole seasons. Who’s teaching them and managing their fitness?

And I have some sympathy for Bruce. A number of views of his work suggested that he might be carrying an injury.
At times he struggled to get distance into his kicks and they frequently went left. He seemed to have trouble which left him crashing packs when a mark was expected. I wish him a better 2021.

Sedat
06-01-2021, 12:28 PM
Bruce displayed a total lack of forward craft in the majority of his games. And he was useless in the ruck because he had no ruck-craft. In other words, he was a mile off form wise, But we persevered. We put all on potential, like problem gamblers, and it never came good.

Personally, I cannot understand how Young couldn’t get fit in a whole season and Sweet couldn’t learn anything useful in two whole seasons. Who’s teaching them and managing their fitness?

And I have some sympathy for Bruce. A number of views of his work suggested that he might be carrying an injury.
At times he struggled to get distance into his kicks and they frequently went left. He seemed to have trouble which left him crashing packs when a mark was expected. I wish him a better 2021.
Bruce has clearly showed excellent forward craft in previous consecutive seasons at the Saints, but it cannot be argued that he showed little to none of this craft in 2020. I'd go a step further and say he showed little to no actual ability to play the game competently last year.

We backed him in the entire season, which is an admirable display of loyalty. He owes the club and the match committee an awful lot in 2021.

1eyedog
06-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Only three or four key forwards played consistently good footy in 2020.

Danjul
06-01-2021, 02:21 PM
Lynch and Riewoldt both got close to 30 goals before the finals. So that’s 2 in the same team. What was their secret?

From very limited video I thought: low kicks into the forward area so both were confident leading. Can anyone improve on that?

Mofra
06-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Yep. Outside of Richmond, you've got Hawkins, Charlie Dixon and Kennedy. Taberner did well with the supply he had. There aren't too many more. Bruce was disappointing, Hipwood hasn't fired (largely due to inaccuracy). Ben Brown was nowhere.

It was a horrible year for most key forwards. I'm really hoping Bruce can bounce back because he does demand a gorilla defender and that will release our other forwards.

Slightly back to topic, I rate Mihocek more than most but Treloar really didn't have much to kick to at Collingwood. It will be interesting to see how he goes when he has a number of options to kick to in the F50

mjp
06-01-2021, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure about this.

Brisbane had two who were pretty good in Cameron and Hipwood.
Collingwood had Mihochek.
Freo had Taberner.
Hawkins of course.
King was super for GC.
Pretty sure Gunston kicked 30 goals at Hawthorn.
Dixon was great.
We've covered Riewoldt and Lynch.
Papley was awesome.
St Kilda got pretty good service from King and the guy with all the stickers.
Kennedy and Darling both kicked 30 + despite sooking it up for 2-months in the hub.
Wallis was awesome for us.

Now - I am going to be told that Wallis, Papley, Cameron and Gunston aren't 'key' forwards. Well - cool. They are leading forwards though and I would be surprised if any kicked more 'general play' goals than Hawkins did yet we happily call him a key forward.

If you are playing in the forward line and your team-mates are kicking you the ball, well...you're a 'key' forward.

Jam Donuts
08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
Yep, EJ he is definitely not.