All the game day discussions round by round

bornadog
28-01-2021, 02:01 PM
AFLW Round 1 | St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs

When: Friday 29th January
Where: RSEA Park, 32-60 Linton St, Moorabbin VIC

Gates Open: (Zones 2-5) - 5:40pm or (Zone 1) - 6:10pm
Game Starts: 7.10pm AEDT

Admission: $10 Adults. Kids FREE but must have ticket to enter. Tickets for the match can be purchased here online. Tickets will not be available to purchase at the venue.

Broadcast: Foxtel. The match will also be streamed live on womens.afl and the Official AFLW app.

Hotdog60
28-01-2021, 07:38 PM
I must say I'm looking forward to footy being on again and I'm looking to see improvement across the list.

bornadog
28-01-2021, 11:37 PM
Round 1 Team

B: Angelica Gogos, Eleanor Brown
HB: Sarah Hartwig, Isabel Huntington, Gabby Newton
C: Gemma Lagioia, Ellie Blackburn, Deanna Berry
HF: Jess Fitzgerald, Kirsty Lamb, Brooke Lochland
F: Bonnie Toogood, Bailey Hunt
Foll: Celine Moody, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Katie Lynch

Int: Nell Morris-Dalton, Dani Marshall, Britney Gutknecht, Ashleigh Guest, Lauren Spark

Emer: Isabella Grant, Naomi Ferres

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:19 AM
Have been looking forward to this for ages, but there’s 100% chance of rain all day so might not be the prettiest spectacle ever.

Lamb at CHF is...interesting. Think she will need to be around the ball all night in the conditions.

The Underdog
29-01-2021, 11:33 AM
Have been looking forward to this for ages, but there’s 100% chance of rain all day so might not be the prettiest spectacle ever.

Lamb at CHF is...interesting. Think she will need to be around the ball all night in the conditions.

I’m not 100% sure I’ll be going along as I’d planned.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 07:46 PM
With today's rain it could be the Moorabbin of old.

St kilda were impressive in their first season. Will take a good effort from our young team to get over the top of them. A lot will rest on the experienced shoulders of Blackburn, Lamb and Lochland.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 07:49 PM

Agree. Lamb would surely play on ball tonight.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 08:31 PM
This game seems rigged early doors. That HTB on Berry followed up by a no decision on the free kick winner getting tackled after being made to play on is as bad as it could possibly get.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Huntington forward had to happen.

The Underdog
29-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Some solid work there. Gave away 2 soft goals (getting Ray Chamberlained in January is new) but Huntington up forward looks good. Great hands by Blackburn for Toogood’s goal, and a great finish for her own. Good start.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 08:35 PM
Dogs by a couple of points at qtr time.
We had the better of the play but a couple of silly 50's cost us a couple of goals.
Toogood and Huntington looking dangerous up forward.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 08:38 PM
That second 50 was soft as.

Grantysghost
29-01-2021, 08:53 PM
I really don't like St.Kilda.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 08:53 PM
We should probably just put Huntington at the end with the wind every quarter. Getting killed at the moment.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 08:55 PM
Jesus they’re looking after the Saints. Hope we get the same treatment at VUWO.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 09:00 PM
saints by 13 half time.

They outplayed us that qtr. beaten out of the centre. will have the wind in the 3rd

The Underdog
29-01-2021, 09:03 PM
Jesus they’re looking after the Saints. Hope we get the same treatment at VUWO.

Yeah, be nice to get a few of the calls they’re getting.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:21 PM
Add another full on gift to the scorecard. This is farcical.

Grantysghost
29-01-2021, 09:25 PM
19-4 free kicks to Aints. They do have some tackling machines though. They're a class above when it hits the ground tonight.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Nineteen to four. Lol. Why even turn up?

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:28 PM
Of course that ones out of bounds too.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:29 PM
21-4 now. Something is up.

Grantysghost
29-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Nineteen to four. Lol. Why even turn up?

21-4 currently. Crikey, now that's lop sided.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 09:35 PM
19-4 free kicks to Aints. They do have some tackling machines though. They're a class above when it hits the ground tonight.

Yep, beating us on the deck. The goal on the siren gives us a chance. Have got to win the centre breaks as our backline can look vulnerable.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:39 PM
23-4.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Incredible goal from Blackburn.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:52 PM
Jesus CHRIST would it kill them to give us a free

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:53 PM
This shouldve been the best AFLW game ever and was totally ruined by pathetic umpiring.

The Underdog
29-01-2021, 09:53 PM
Jesus CHRIST would it kill them to give us a free

Absolutely *!*!*!*!ing ripped off.

Grantysghost
29-01-2021, 09:55 PM
Huntington appeared to cop a pretty significant arm chop there in a crucial moment. Not sure what they're seeing. 26-6 is an incredible free kick count.
Shame the dogs have thrown the kitchen sink at them this last quarter. Fantastic effort.

Happy Days
29-01-2021, 09:58 PM
Huntington appeared to cop a pretty significant arm chop there in a crucial moment. Not sure what they're seeing. 26-6 is an incredible free kick count.
Shame the dogs have thrown the kitchen sink at them this last quarter. Fantastic effort.

They’re seeing the script that demanded the hard tackling St Kilda and their loser full back coming back from an ACL and THE G TRANE be put over at all costs. This competition is manufactured to within an inch of its life.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-01-2021, 10:03 PM
A lot of positives but couldn't bring it home. Let the saints play their passing game which is normally our style. Not sure where Hannah Scott is but she is definitely needed down back.
Blackburn was inspirational. Huntington, Toogood, and Lamb shone.
Looking forward to next Friday night at the kennel.

Hotdog60
29-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Good effort by the girls but I'd walk away from that thinking we were hard done by.
I may have misses something but what was the free kick for in the last to the G train that resulted in the last goal.
Hard to tell by the poor camera work but I wonder if Lochland had other options in front of goal instead of taking a ping as it gave them back the ball and it was all over from there.

The Underdog
29-01-2021, 10:30 PM
We had 20 less frees, one more shot at goal and should have had a shot to put us in front. Pretty positive outing aside from the result.There’s a way to go, especially moving the ball through congestion, but I thought there was a lot to take out of that game.

jazzadogs
29-01-2021, 11:49 PM
Great to have footy back, and turned out to be a perfect night to be watching from the hill.

Izzy Huntington and Ellie Blackburn are absolute stars. Both have played some great games for us, but this might have been career bests.

Looking forward to seeing Fitzgerald and Hartwig develop as the season goes on.

Surprised that Ferres and Scott didn't get a game - Scott must be injured by Ferres is a clear best 16 imo.

bornadog
29-01-2021, 11:56 PM
We had 20 less frees, one more shot at goal and should have had a shot to put us in front. Pretty positive outing aside from the result.There’s a way to go, especially moving the ball through congestion, but I thought there was a lot to take out of that game.

I was disgusted with the free kicks and the piss weak 50 metre penalties as well.

Girls did well tonight and should have won.

azabob
30-01-2021, 11:07 AM
Disappointing result. Some umpiring decisions certainly didn't help. The first 50 of the night should have warned us what to expect.

It seemed the saints beat us the way the saints mens team beat us.

Swift ball movement and getting into dangerous positions behind our defense.

A bit to work with Huntington, Toogood, Blackburn and I also thought Moody in the ruck is something to work with.

I still can't warm to the coach.

Happy Days
30-01-2021, 11:15 AM
I'm still pretty filthy on this. Pretty encouraging signs but when you have a player tackled immediately after taking possession from a stoppage be pinged, and then the player who takes the free kick get tackled after being called to play on for no free kick, then you aren't exactly playing with an even deck. 26-6 with 4-0 fifties is as bad an umpiring disparity as I've seen in elite sport since Steve Bucknor retired.

Whatever. Reckon we'll be good. Anyone know where Hannah Scott and Kirsty McLeod were last night (since apparently an injury list does nothing to further the AFLW brand so has obviously been forgone)?

Hotdog60
30-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Disappointing result. Some umpiring decisions certainly didn't help. The first 50 of the night should have warned us what to expect.

It seemed the saints beat us the way the saints mens team beat us.

Swift ball movement and getting into dangerous positions behind our defense.

A bit to work with Huntington, Toogood, Blackburn and I also thought Moody in the ruck is something to work with.

I still can't warm to the coach.

I'm 50/50 with Burke. Seems a very nice guy and presents well but his methods are yet to be proven.

Hotdog60
30-01-2021, 11:24 AM
I'm still pretty filthy on this. Pretty encouraging signs but when you have a player tackled immediately after taking possession from a stoppage be pinged, and then the player who takes the free kick get tackled after being called to play on for no free kick, then you aren't exactly playing with an even deck. 26-6 with 4-0 fifties is as bad an umpiring disparity as I've seen in elite sport since Steve Bucknor retired.

Whatever. Reckon we'll be good. Anyone know where Hannah Scott and Kirsty McLeod were last night (since apparently an injury list does nothing to further the AFLW brand so has obviously been forgone)?

I think I read somewhere Scott was injured but I can't find the article. Her aggression could have been handy although it could have been counter productive with how the frees were going.

Bulldog4life
30-01-2021, 01:39 PM
As well as the 20 extra frees to them there were no similar frees coming back our way. There was a glaring one missed 20 metres in front of our goal when the St.Kilda player dropped the ball when tackled. Not sure what quarter but kicking to the left of screen. Disgraceful umpiring all night.

azabob
30-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Has anyone seen Bontempelli and Huntington in the same room?

Both number four, both left footers, both generational talents....

Hotdog60
30-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Has anyone seen Bontempelli and Huntington in the same room?

Both number four, both left footers, both generational talents....

Are you planning ahead? :)

BornInDroopSt'54
30-01-2021, 03:33 PM
"A trio of Bulldog pups made their AFLW debuts for the membership. Former Magpie Katie Lynch, Jess Fitzgerald and Sarah Hartwig all wore the purple, white and blue for the first time".
From The Age, reasonable article but purple?

mjp
31-01-2021, 10:31 PM
I'm 50/50 with Burke. Seems a very nice guy and presents well but his methods are yet to be proven.

Is there any chance we could take care of the footy under pressure?

The tackle comes, we throw it away and give the opposition a chance. It's exhausting to watch.

Just hold on to the thing. Please, just tell the girls when they get tackled that it's going to be OK...and whatever they do, DON'T handball it out to no-one.

This game was ours for the taking and we can blame the umpires all we like (but let's face it, umpiring is terrible in the AFL and terrible x 5 in the AFLW because it seems they are under instruction NOT to pay free kicks!) but if we would just take care of the footy under tackle pressure the result would have been far different.

Oh - and well done to that new St Kilda mid number 6 - she's an exciting prospect and kicks it really well.

Hotdog60
31-01-2021, 11:33 PM
I watched the Lions today and it was interesting to see when they release a handball there was generally a team mate in the area to receive.
There was a few today that they just knew where their team was it was instinctive.

bornadog
31-01-2021, 11:58 PM
I watched the Lions today and it was interesting to see when they release a handball there was generally a team mate in the area to receive.
There was a few today that they just knew where their team was it was instinctive.

The other thing I don't like is when they are under pressure, they tend to just slam it on the foot resulting in a turnover.

mjp
01-02-2021, 09:37 AM
The other thing I don't like is when they are under pressure, they tend to just slam it on the foot resulting in a turnover.

Better slam it on the boot, take 30m of grass and be able to set up defensively than chuck it on the ground and watch the opposition mids run away from the contest after gathering the loose ball.

Don't you learn to KICK under pressure, handball to ATTACK in the u7's? I know some of the girls are new to the sport but most are not...

Commentators beginning to seriously annoy me now as well (no surprise). One of the Giants girls dropped a mark vs Freo yesterday that cost a goal. It wasn't complicated. Rather than the old 'dropped what she should have taken' we got "xxxxx works back with the flight of the ball...yyyy picks it up off the deck - GOAL DOCKERS". It is rubbish. More people would embrace the game if they felt they were allowed to have an opinion without being pilloried for being 'anti-women'.

I really enjoy the game and have a few of the players at the gym with me in the off-season. They are happy for the kid gloves to be taken off and happy to be challenged on their skill / decision errors. They WANT to be thought of as good players. They WANT their own identities within the game. Most of David King's match explanation video is rudimentary but if the AFLW games were subject to some additional scrutiny even at the level he does it and the differences in the teams/players were better appreciated the audience would grow exponentially.

comrade
01-02-2021, 11:53 AM
Better slam it on the boot, take 30m of grass and be able to set up defensively than chuck it on the ground and watch the opposition mids run away from the contest after gathering the loose ball.

Don't you learn to KICK under pressure, handball to ATTACK in the u7's? I know some of the girls are new to the sport but most are not...

Commentators beginning to seriously annoy me now as well (no surprise). One of the Giants girls dropped a mark vs Freo yesterday that cost a goal. It wasn't complicated. Rather than the old 'dropped what she should have taken' we got "xxxxx works back with the flight of the ball...yyyy picks it up off the deck - GOAL DOCKERS". It is rubbish. More people would embrace the game if they felt they were allowed to have an opinion without being pilloried for being 'anti-women'.

I really enjoy the game and have a few of the players at the gym with me in the off-season. They are happy for the kid gloves to be taken off and happy to be challenged on their skill / decision errors. They WANT to be thought of as good players. They WANT their own identities within the game. Most of David King's match explanation video is rudimentary but if the AFLW games were subject to some additional scrutiny even at the level he does it and the differences in the teams/players were better appreciated the audience would grow exponentially.

A lot of women's sport has this 'cheerleading' aspect to it which makes it hard to watch/listen to. WNBA, soccer. It *feels* like there is an underlying sense of - yay, good effort (for a girl).

Tennis seems to be one sport where the media/commentary analysis is free to actually critique and well...analyse female players openly.

Happy Days
01-02-2021, 12:08 PM
Yeah +1 to the patronising commentary getting them nowhere. Being gaslit into thinking that everything we’re seeing is awesome seems squarely aimed at the luddite Facebook crowd who only ever talk about how low the scores are, who I’m pretty certain aren’t actually watching.

SonofScray
03-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Got my tickets for Friday night. The having to book despite a membership thing is a pain in the arse.

That aside, looking forward to returning to VUWO and seeing our Club in action. Watched the replay earlier and the girls were stiff that scoreboard got away from them, a couple of cheap goals the difference. The development of a few players who have been in the system a while now is promising, Toogood being the stand out on that front.

There’s enough talent and improvements in this squad that we should see some more joy than last season.

comrade
05-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Dogs player just missed the easiest goal of all time and there was barely a peep from the commentary.

comrade
05-02-2021, 09:02 PM
I haven't seen much of the other sides, but I'd be surprised if there are many better than Blackburn.

Hotdog60
05-02-2021, 09:05 PM
Huntington missed it she could have gone right to the line and dribbled it through poor miss.

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 09:19 PM
I’ve seen better umpiring at Auskick, where do they find these clowns?

Grantysghost
05-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Fitzgerald looks like a ripper.

Hotdog60
05-02-2021, 09:29 PM
Lochland looks she's burning a lot of tickets and not touching it.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 09:36 PM
I’ve seen better umpiring at Auskick, where do they find these clowns?

They are supposed to be AFL umpires. Some shocking decisions.

The Underdog
05-02-2021, 09:36 PM
I haven't seen much of the other sides, but I'd be surprised if there are many better than Blackburn.

Just brilliant in tight, so composed.

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 09:48 PM
How does nobody put body on Harris then? Dumb football, under 12s stuff

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 09:58 PM
Someone tell them to stop bouncing the ball

comrade
05-02-2021, 10:05 PM

Yeah, they haven't executed one properly all night. It goes from a clean take away to an unforced turn over in a matter of seconds.

comrade
05-02-2021, 10:15 PM
On a roll now. Blackburn taking over.

Hotdog60
05-02-2021, 10:28 PM
Good win by the girls. despite the best efforts from the men in pea green.

The Underdog
05-02-2021, 10:30 PM
Cracking win Dogs. Looked shot at the end, but played one short nearly the whole game. There’s a lot to work with in this team.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 10:33 PM
Good win by the girls. despite the best efforts from the men in pea green.

My god the umpires were very poor. When can you run at a player who is going for the mark, and slam into their back - very dangerous and no free.

josie
Elle B is a superstar, passionate, loyal and a leader. Onya Elle. A bundle of energy & talent. Great to come back from 10 points down.

Bulldog Joe
The game was really entertaining.

i like the way they take it on and look to score. Some of the 1st and 2nd year players are really impressive.

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 10:37 PM
My god the umpires were very poor. When can you run at a player who is going for the mark, and slam into their back - very dangerous and no free.

And then pay a soft as butter one 2 seconds later.

Great win but so frustrating to watch the poor umpiring and poor decision making by so many players. Maybe I am expecting too much?

The Underdog
05-02-2021, 10:44 PM
And then pay a soft as butter one 2 seconds later.

Great win but so frustrating to watch the poor umpiring and poor decision making by so many players. Maybe I am expecting too much?

I think the players were pretty cooked in the last 10 having played one down nearly all night, which didn’t help with the decision making, but I think the standard of play this year has largely been a step up. The intensity of that game was very high.

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 10:47 PM
I think the players were pretty cooked in the last 10 having played one down nearly all night, which didn’t help with the decision making, but I think the standard of play this year has largely been a step up. The intensity of that game was very high.

I couldn’t fault them too much at the end, it was the rest of the game that troubled me!

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 10:51 PM

Do the girls use a smaller ball. It looks smaller and as a result more difficult to bounce to me. Even during the warm up the players seemed to be having trouble bouncing the ball.

mjp
05-02-2021, 11:03 PM

The umpiring was a disgrace tonight - both sides copped some terrible decisions. Harris should be on report for that 1st q front on contact + 2x sling tackle reports vs the Blues...not a word from the umpires or the commentators.

There were some horrific decisions made with the ball - I would prioritise the remediation like this:

1/. Defensive exit kicks: Under pressure, short to the corridor is a BAD PLAN. Kick the ball long and wide under pressure to enable a reset...stop the panic and the hacked kicks to the corridor or attempted short kicks to a 1-v-1 in the defensive zone.

2/. Stop passing on the pressure. I talked about the dumb handballs to no-one last week...this week it was better but we just went back-back-back and passed the pressure from one team-mate to another. Again...facing the goals under pressure? KICK THE BALL. It is absolutely maddening. Be predictable to your team-mates down the ground.

3/. Simple game sense. Forced a contest on the boundary? Great job...get the ball OVER the line. Taken a mark in D50? Great job. Chill out, take your time and find a mark. Locked the ball in the defensive job? Great job. Don't be the person who allows a little hit up/gets separated from the contest by the monster CHF on the other team. Some basic 'little things - don't break the chain' type planning would be time well spent. And if the girls say they know this stuff - it is basic....well, cool. DO IT THEN.

5-6 goal better team tonight. Stupid errors killing us.

mjp
05-02-2021, 11:04 PM
Do the girls use a smaller ball. It looks smaller and as a result more difficult to bounce to me. Even during the warm up the players seemed to be having trouble bouncing the ball.

I reckon it's the same one they train with mate.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-02-2021, 11:46 PM

Yep smaller ball. Size 4?

Raw Toast
05-02-2021, 11:50 PM

Yeah, but still harder to handle, especially under pressure I think, plus harder to kick accurately, gets caught by the wind, and Melbourne is often very windy in summer, and doesn't go as far from what I've heard (and a bullshit excuse of making it smaller due to smaller hand-sizes. The men are generally heaps bigger than they were 30 years ago, but they haven't increased the AFLM ball size...). But anyway, that's a discussion for another time.

I am hoping that I can get some sports scientist colleagues of mine who specialise in kicking to do some testing of elite men and women with both ball sizes.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 11:59 PM
I really can't tolerate the few changes in rules for the women. Aussie Rules should be one set of rules for all.

The one that really erks me is the throw by the umpire, ie coming in 20 metres from the boundary - why do we have to have this BS. Last touch also stinks.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-02-2021, 11:59 PM

Agreed.
A lot of inexperience in that team. The backline withstood some extreme pressure for the last ten minutes. Last year they would have lost this game.
Lamb takes so many hits but just keeps going. Blackburn did what Blackburn does.
Of the young players, Fitzgerald, Georgiostathis and Hartwig made good contributions.
A bit more poise needed. But after 7 straight losses the win will do them good

Raw Toast
06-02-2021, 12:18 AM
How good was that???

A truly brilliant game to be at - wonderful atmosphere at the Whitten Oval, and a stirring comeback from a team which was down a vital defender from the first minute of the game.

I'll write more later, and look forward to seeing the replay, but that's the most enjoyable game of footy I've been to for some time.

Our team showed a heap of character, guts, courage, and commitment to the contest. Pressure was unbelievable, and I love that as a foundation for a game-plan, although it's hard to sustain (limited season helps, though I hate the limited season). But just manic intensity. Reminded me of the level that the men played during the 2016 finals series (and the pressure from the women was also elite in the 2018 finals).

Some of the decision-making did leave a lot to be desired, some shocking disposals as well, and the umpiring was diabolical yet again. Just horrendous officiating, and Carlton were clearly going the woman early and especially late. Ugh.

To me it looked like the game was just a bit too fast for us in most of the first half. We were great generally when they had the ball, but over-eager to get rid of it, even before we'd touched it, in the first half. Maybe we had that modern footy disease of being unable to deal with dew, but the amount of times we were unable to handle the ball cleanly was very frustrating. Still, we got significantly better at that as the game went on, and Carlton started getting sloppier as the intensity of our pressure got to them.

But I loved how we consistently took the game on, generally backed each other up, and overall, seemed to be structured up pretty well also. It's in our recent genes for a Dogs team to give up at least one goal over the back, but we pushed our forwards high at key moments, and created our own space over the back which gave us a couple of goals, and should've given us more.

This is a team that so far - two games into a season which is ridiculously short - seems committed to playing attacking football, and I like that. There's obviously some learning to go along with that, and I liked hearing from MJP that we'd improved some aspects from last week. But after the general drudgery of most of the Groves years (apart from when he got out of the way in 2018), this is a marked improvement. I'm not yet sold on Burke, but nevertheless, I'm getting happier at the moment.

And the recruiting team is looking pretty good right now. Fitzpatrick is looking glorious in just her second game, Hartwig is seriously flashing significant talent, Georgostathis was often fantastic (but just touch the *&%*& ball on the ground in dewy conditions), Lynch was heroic late (needs to be better at giving a quick handpass to advantage under pressure), Brown is looking increasingly solid, and Newton is beginning to look like someone who will be able to seriously impose herself on the contest.

And then you have Blackburn who was brilliant - so clean amidst the fumbling from others, able to insert herself at the most important moments, and such a good inside and outside player. Awe-inspiring. It seems so far that we're able to rest her a bit more as well, so hopefully she can maintain this level through the season.

Huntington wasn't quite as dominant as last week, but was still very important. Carlton sent two players to her whenever they could, and I think we did ok with that, as it helped create both space behind Huntington, and the free player was able to do a bit of damage.

Kirsten McLeod might not have been sleeping well if we'd lost it. That first miss was a shocker. But she redeemed herself, and has that lightning in a bottle quality. It was especially impressive that she was able to impact in big moments in the final quarter, after getting banged up in the third.

Finally, for now, while I was very glad for Tayla Harris' shanked kicks, and didn't enjoy her roughhouse tactics, she is incredible to watch in full flight soaring over the pack to mark the ball. Seeing it live is something else - everyone present knows that the ball is hers to grab, even while others are striving to make it a contest.

Raw Toast
06-02-2021, 12:24 AM
I really can't tolerate the few changes in rules for the women. Aussie Rules should be one set of rules for all.

The one that really erks me is the throw by the umpire, ie coming in 20 metres from the boundary - why do we have to have this BS. Last touch also stinks.

Agreed re the general rules.

I think the last kick rule creates unnecessary havoc, and leads to some of the complaints that MJP was rightly making. The players become overly worried about kicking towards the boundary, even though that's still a better option than coughing the ball up straight down the ground.

But in essence, the women have fought for over 100 years to be able to play the same game as the men, and then the buggers in charge change the rules on them, with the patronising comment that it will make the game more watchable...

That all said, I don't mind the concept the throw in coming a bit more infield (though less than currently in AFLW), to help ease congestion and the ball ending up over the boundary again. But it simply has to be the same in both the AFLW & AFLM competitions, or what is the point.

Raw Toast
06-02-2021, 12:38 AM
Yep smaller ball. Size 4?

Yes. Men play with a size 5. Women played with a size 4.5 (which was still unnecessarily small in my opinion). But then the AFL decreed that women needed to have a size 4 ball in AFLW (and all the other state competitions as well).

This was based on a study at another university that has never been released, which was done very quickly, and I'm not sure that it even involved any testing.

If you think about how much bigger the men now generally are (eg Bontempelli and Cripps playing in the midfield, when they're taller than Polly Farmer was), yet they haven't increased the size of the ball, whereas someone like Caleb Daniel presumably has pretty small hands, but also has the best hands in close of anyone on our AFLM team.

In addition, the feedback I've had from the almost-elite men (VFLM level) that I know who've tried to kick the smaller ball, is that it's harder to kick accurately, more affected by the wind, and doesn't travel as far as the size 5 ball.

All of which hampers the spectacle of the women's game. In addition, if it is true that it's harder to kick as far (and the AFL argues the opposite*), then it complicates the tactics of the game. Because so much of the tactics of the men's game is based on kicks that can break the game open by getting beyond congestion to players in space. (It's not the only way of breaking congestion, the inboard 45 degree kicks can do that as well, but nevertheless, switching play often relies on at least one long kick.)

By now, a lot of us are often wanting that longer kick when watching a game of footy, but while some players like Tayla Harris (and Blackburn at times!) can still give it a roost, the difficulty of doing it regularly also creates a different type of game.

*As I noted earlier, I'm hoping that I can get some colleagues of mine to test both elite women & men with both ball sizes so that we get a clear indication one way or another.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 12:44 AM

True but the ball being smaller would take a lot of getting used to bouncing it effectively when you've probably grown up bouncing a normal sized one. You'd have to throw it a lot further in from of you to get it to come back to you comfortably. It's a big change.

Grantysghost
06-02-2021, 01:05 AM
Decent shot.

https://i.postimg.cc/Yqf5BGM8/20210206-000018.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Link to tweet (https://twitter.com/MichaelCWillson/status/1357659535524167681?s=19)

soupman
06-02-2021, 01:11 AM
In addition, the feedback I've had from the almost-elite men (VFLM level) that I know who've tried to kick the smaller ball, is that it's harder to kick accurately, more affected by the wind, and doesn't travel as far as the size 5 ball.

When my partner decided to play we bought a size 4 footy to practice with. It feels odd at first (you feel like a god with the extra ball handling skills the upsize in hand affords you) but you quickly get used to it. In my experience its pretty much the same as the proper sized one. I might have a marginally shorter range with it, and i guess it would be affected by wind more, but for the most part it's the same and I think stuff like Blackburns long goal tonight shows that it isn't really a limiting factor.

As for it being patronising and unnecessary, sure.

True but the ball being smaller would take a lot of getting used to bouncing it effectively when you've probably grown up bouncing a normal sized one. You'd have to throw it a lot further in from of you to get it to come back to you comfortably. It's a big change.

Disagree. Maybe if it was their first week with it, but they've done 5 pre-seasons with them now. If a player hasn't figured it out by now I think that's more a reflection of their shortcomings than the ball.

As an aside if you want a truly stuffed footy the balls they make you use in AFL 9's are genuinely atrocious. I guess to make them less intimidating for the casual players they are trying to attract they've made them lighter and almost rounder. Nightmare to kick with any force, really hard to kick clean drop punts with and it tends to bounce out of your hands. And you are truly at the mercy of the wind.

SonofScray
06-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Last night was great.

The side played with all the foibles of any Footscray team in recent history, failed to get reward for effort early, let the ball out the back too easy in transition. But, they also did a few things that absolutely embody the spirit of our Club. Those things made the difference and to watch it at Whitten Oval after such a long break without live footy, it was magic.

1. Physicality. Players like Lamb and Ellie really set a standard and as the heat was turned up, we ratcheted up how hard we hunted the ball and the body in a few occasions. There was a contest in the goal square that was like a car crash. Just the most desperate, viscous attack on the contest you could ask for.

2. Doggedness. Just hung in there. Given last season, I thought it’d be tough to get a result on what I saw early on. We had just enough performers to keep our nose in the trough. Bought time to adjust, kept the scoreboard in check and then turned it around.

3. Stretched the game. Thought we opened things up with hard running with the footy, good use of the handball and long kicking to space. Goals from long kicks inside 50 and competing well at ground level were pleasing.

I’ll have to watch the replay to confirm my thoughts, it was difficult to see early in the game.

Hotdog60
06-02-2021, 09:36 AM
For my 4000 post I owe an apology to Issy Huntington who I thought missed the sitter in the goal square.

Now I'm looking at you Kirsten.....:)

Happy Days
06-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Missed the game last night so just catching up now. Seems like it was absolutely awesome though. Kirsty McLeod has a level of danger about her game that very few others in the league do.

Happy Days
06-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Can we get a team-wide direction to stop taking players on 10m out directly in front of the oppositions goal?

Blackburn continues to be the best kick at the whole club.

Bulldog4life
06-02-2021, 12:05 PM
Yes. Men play with a size 5. Women played with a size 4.5 (which was still unnecessarily small in my opinion). But then the AFL decreed that women needed to have a size 4 ball in AFLW (and all the other state competitions as well).

This was based on a study at another university that has never been released, which was done very quickly, and I'm not sure that it even involved any testing.

If you think about how much bigger the men now generally are (eg Bontempelli and Cripps playing in the midfield, when they're taller than Polly Farmer was), yet they haven't increased the size of the ball, whereas someone like Caleb Daniel presumably has pretty small hands, but also has the best hands in close of anyone on our AFLM team.

All of which hampers the spectacle of the women's game. In addition, if it is true that it's harder to kick as far (and the AFL argues the opposite*), then it complicates the tactics of the game. Because so much of the tactics of the men's game is based on kicks that can break the game open by getting beyond congestion to players in space. (It's not the only way of breaking congestion, the inboard 45 degree kicks can do that as well, but nevertheless, switching play often relies on at least one long kick.)

By now, a lot of us are often wanting that longer kick when watching a game of footy, but while some players like Tayla Harris (and Blackburn at times!) can still give it a roost, the difficulty of doing it regularly also creates a different type of game.

*As I noted earlier, I'm hoping that I can get some colleagues of mine to test both elite women & men with both ball sizes so that we get a clear indication one way or another.

Sorry to correct you RT but Caleb even though small in statue has big hands for his size.

Bulldog4life
06-02-2021, 12:11 PM
A great win by the women. Lynch impressive in the last line of defence in the dying minutes. I was a bit worried about her before that as she tried to break a tackle like the game before but was caught with the ball. But she made up for it. Elle was brilliant as usual. Hope she is a doggie for life. The young girls are improving and as long as we capitalize on the balls in our fifty we should have an improved season.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Decent shot.

Link to tweet (https://twitter.com/MichaelCWillson/status/1357659535524167681?s=19)

What a effing awesome photo. Even moreso in black and white.
If i was a Tayla Harris parents, that photo would be going straight to the bar room wall.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-02-2021, 06:14 PM
Envious of those that got to go to the game. For a crowd of 3000 there was a good atmosphere. Good to see Bont in the crowd as well.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Disagree. Maybe if it was their first week with it, but they've done 5 pre-seasons with them now. If a player hasn't figured it out by now I think that's more a reflection of their shortcomings than the ball.

As an aside if you want a truly stuffed footy the balls they make you use in AFL 9's are genuinely atrocious. I guess to make them less intimidating for the casual players they are trying to attract they've made them lighter and almost rounder. Nightmare to kick with any force, really hard to kick clean drop punts with and it tends to bounce out of your hands. And you are truly at the mercy of the wind.

Seeing you've played with one I'm happy to go with your experience. But do me a favour please, just between you and me if MJP asks tell him he's wrong.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 07:36 PM
For my 4000 post I owe an apology to Issy Huntington who I thought missed the sitter in the goal square.

Now I'm looking at you Kirsten.....:)

In the best traditions of the club she went with the banana from 5 metres out right in front. Interesting decision making.

mjp
06-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Seeing you've played with one I'm happy to go with your experience. But do me a favour please, just between you and me if MJP asks tell him he's wrong.

LOL.

I'm mostly wrong about pretty much everything.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 10:05 PM
LOL.

I'm mostly wrong about pretty much everything.

I think it's when you have kids that you decide that.

"You're wrong Jana"

https://youtu.be/7l2doxjnn3Y

jeemak
07-02-2021, 02:41 AM
Decent shot.

Cracking photo and great grab in the end!

In addition to this, I hadn't watched an AFLW game for a long time given I was in VN in 2019 and the 2018-2019 summer, but on Friday night I was impressed and a bit concerned about how psychotic some of the attack on the ball was. There was one particular moment (I think SoS referred to it) where about four players just ran straight at it at the Barkley Street end goal square and smashed into each other. Not sure if it's that they're nuts or they're still figuring out how to not be psychos to avoid unnecessary injury (I get that sounds patronising), but it was impressive.

jeemak
07-02-2021, 02:46 AM

The AFL 9s ball is a nightmare, literally no redeeming qualities. If you can kick a normal footy on the run, low and hard, you're stuffed if you want to do the same with a 9s ball. It goes OK off the boot if you hit it properly, but schwangs badly mid flight sideways and dips as it loses momentum. Genuine finger busting stuff.

Raw Toast
07-02-2021, 01:04 PM
Cracking photo and great grab in the end!

In addition to this, I hadn't watched an AFLW game for a long time given I was in VN in 2019 and the 2018-2019 summer, but on Friday night I was impressed and a bit concerned about how psychotic some of the attack on the ball was. There was one particular moment (I think SoS referred to it) where about four players just ran straight at it at the Barkley Street end goal square and smashed into each other. Not sure if it's that they're nuts or they're still figuring out how to not be psychos to avoid unnecessary injury (I get that sounds patronising), but it was impressive.

I think there's a few factors at play:

1) The season is so (ridiculously) short, it adds a finals like desperation to many of the games. Intensity is crazy, especially when you see it in person;

2) Not only are the players tough & courageous, they're also well aware of the way the words 'women', 'girls', 'feminine' etc, are typically associated as being weak and softer (among other things), than 'men', 'boys', 'masculine' etc. So they've had to prove their courage, over, and over, and over again.

It makes for a compelling, brutal, and at times terrifying spectacle. But the women's game is frequently tougher than the men's game at present.

I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing. There are certainly problematic consequences for the bodies (and sometimes minds) of those who play. The levels of courage certainly share a border with craziness.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-02-2021, 01:33 PM
I can't say I'm a good judge as I don't watch it with regularity but Friday Night's game was entertaining, initial thoughts are the standard has improved a bit from a couplenof years ago.

Thoughts?

Watched a bit of Richmond and Melbourne too which was good for a half. Brennan doesn't seem to be overly effective when I've seen her, which probably suggests the standard improves every year and particularly from when she was a dominant player in its formative years.

Raw Toast
07-02-2021, 02:25 PM
Here's an important piece (https://themongrelpunt.com/aflw/2021/02/02/why-aflw-media-coverage-is-stalling/) discussing how the AFL's primary media partners are stuffing up their coverage of the AFLW when so many other's could do it well.

It get's to MJP's point (along with some others), of there not being enough critically astute coverage of the game, which is clearly true. (Although I'd add that AFLM TV commentary drives me batty as well, just appalling, but we've largely had that conversation already...).

I can't say I'm a good judge as I don't watch it with regularity but Friday Night's game was entertaining, initial thoughts are the standard has improved a bit from a couple of years ago.

Thoughts?

The standard has risen, and will continue to do so, primarily for the simple structural reason that we're now getting players enter the AFLW who've been on elite pathways their whole footy life.

That said, the pace and trajectory of the improvement is complicated by the expanding competition, and the short memories + lack of patience around this. Remember how shitty those expansion AFLM teams were? How much $$$ has been pissed away on the Suns, who are still largely crap. (The answer is a tonne more $ than has been invested in AFLW so far.) Plus we know that increases in skill don't always make for a more 'beautiful' game, as pressure skills also get better, and coaching innovations can take footy in lots of directions.

But nevertheless, players like Prespakis and Fitzgerald start to show glimpses of the ceiling that we'll get to in AFLW if the AFL are able to hold their nerve and properly support the comp...

Watched a bit of Richmond and Melbourne too which was good for a half. Brennan doesn't seem to be overly effective when I've seen her, which probably suggests the standard improves every year and particularly from when she was a dominant player in its formative years.

Brennan is one of the elite VWFL players who hasn't been able to transition effectively to the higher level. She was superb when playing for the Darebin Falcons, and I can sort of understand the rationale for making her our captain - at her best she was breathtaking. But Darebin (and the Bulldogs exhibition teams) was a super-team, and it's become increasingly apparent just how dependent she was on the players around her.

Basically, Brennan is decent on a lead, and has generally been a fantastic kick at goal. But she's got a fair bit of Josh Schache to her game, and fancies herself as a midfielder. This wouldn't be as big of a problem, if she didn't have the power of being captain at clubs that haven't stood up to her. As a midfielder she's not great at contests, is ok at putting herself in places to receive the ball, doesn't have the acceleration or core strength that she thinks she has to burst away from contests, and is hopeless at giving off the quick, necessary handpass to advantage under pressure. As a result, she's frequently caught holding the ball.

Brennan was barely a factor in our 2018 premiership run (even though the suspension for the GF itself was bs). And she's never been that good at AFLW level. Mo Hope was also found out by the rise in level. In retrospect, both look to have been more dependent on the work of their teammates than was initially thought.

Mon Conti, on the other hand, still makes me wince each time I see her. She was bog in the GF as a 19 year old, was streets ahead in the B&F for the Tigers last year, and if she'd stayed with the one-true faith she'd be on par with Blackburn. I try not to begrudge her leaving, because making a living playing footy as a woman is so much harder than it is for the elite men. But I still hate seeing her in anything but the tricolours.

This raises a more general point. We've clearly got a group of players who could become something special. Will the club work hard enough to keep them? I really, $%#& hope so.

Raw Toast
07-02-2021, 02:54 PM
My partner also notes that Brennan was one of those players who had the time, dedication, and resources (starting her own gym), to be able to get the most out of herself. This helped her a lot in the pre-AFLW days, but became much less of an advantage once all the players were in more elite training environments.

There's something like an irony to the fact that the incoming glamour forward stars - Brennan & Hope - largely crashed and burned, while Sarah Perkins went undrafted after similar production at VFLW level (though over a shorter time period). Perkins has had an up and down AFLW career so far, but was vital to Adelaide's inaugural premiership run, and helped drag Melbourne into the finals last year.

Speaking of Melbourne, Daisy Pearce is another player who hasn't lived up to the (very) high standards she set at state level. She also was dedicated to getting the most out of herself. But while she's been good at the Demons, I don't think she's been nearly as much of a star as the very lazy AFLW media coverage makes her out to be. She's just too limited as a player, despite being great at reading the play, and impacting the game at key moments. Still, she hasn't been able to dominate games in the manner that say Blackburn has in the first two rounds this season.

In contrast, another former Darebin Falcon (and briefly premiership winning Spur), Karen Paxman is the most underrated star going around. If we could have any other player in our team, I think I'd want her (except that she's now getting older, but in the Shaun Burgoyne mold of a couple of years back). She's so efficient, might read the play better than anyone, constantly intercepts opponents forays into the forward half, and then has deadly disposal long and short to boot. And you can put her basically anywhere you need to at any point of the game.

Twodogs
07-02-2021, 07:38 PM
In contrast, another former Darebin Falcon (and briefly premiership winning Spur), Karen Paxman is the most underrated star going around. If we could have any other player in our team, I think I'd want her (except that she's now getting older, but in the Shaun Burgoyne mold of a couple of years back). She's so efficient, might read the play better than anyone, constantly intercepts opponents forays into the forward half, and then has deadly disposal long and short to boot. And you can put her basically anywhere you need to at any point of the game.

Alisha Newman. Determined, skillful, loves the game, good on both feet, kicks goals (won goal of the year with a Buddy like effort in 2019) was in an elite sporting program for years before AFLW and is a bulldog supporter.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Alisha Newman. Determined, skillful, loves the game, good on both feet, kicks goals (won goal of the year with a Buddy like effort in 2019) was in an elite sporting program for years before AFLW and is a bulldog supporter.

Yes out of the rest of the teams she is one player I enjoy seeing play.

Mofra
08-02-2021, 10:00 AM
I can't say I'm a good judge as I don't watch it with regularity but Friday Night's game was entertaining, initial thoughts are the standard has improved a bit from a couplenof years ago.

Thoughts?

More than a bit - it's improved markedly in a short space of time.

Brennan is probably at the same level as a couple of years ago, but the competition is improving year on year so the other players are catching and passing her. It's a fair measurement.

Players are a lot more dual sided than even a couple of years ago and they are starting to run and carry with chains of handballs more often.

Bulldog4life
08-02-2021, 10:01 AM
https://womens.afl/news/59003/

Katie Lynch

A highly rated junior, Lynch has bounced around between positions and clubs but seems to have found her feet as a defender for the Western Bulldogs. The former Pie was crucial late in the match as the Blues pushed for a win, showing composure and clean hands overhead. Lynch, 20, is athletic, reads the play well and will only improve as her confidence increases through consistent game time. She finished with 10 touches, seven kicks and five marks against Carlton – Sarah Black

comrade
08-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Blackburn is a real joy to watch. Has a bit of Tom Liberatore about her, the way she is able to extract from in close. Very good field kick also. Bulldogs are lucky to have her.

Twodogs
08-02-2021, 01:53 PM
Yes out of the rest of the teams she is one player I enjoy seeing play.

I'm a bit biased because I shared a house with her mum back in the '80s and I first met her when she was a couple of hours old but the kid can play!

Her mum is in the top 10 (probably 5) cricketers I've played with or against and I've played against a few test cricketers.

bornadog
09-02-2021, 12:31 AM
Jess Fitzgerald is the round 2 rising star.

bornadog
11-02-2021, 02:58 PM
Issy Grant will make her debut this Friday.

GVGjr
11-02-2021, 04:12 PM
Issy Grant will make her debut this Friday.

Sensational news

bornadog
11-02-2021, 04:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et6j6KcVgAA4YxF?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et6j6KdVkAQtjwM?format=jpg&name=small

divvydan
11-02-2021, 07:03 PM
Theres a video of Issy surprising Chris with the news up on the website.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/860923/aflw-grant-surprises-grant?videoId=860923&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1613011415001

bornadog
12-02-2021, 05:39 PM
Round 3 v Geelong at Kardinia Park:

Friday 12 February, 7.10pm AEDT

Team

B: Angelica Gogos, Ellyse Gamble
HB: Sarah Hartwig, Katie Lynch, Eleanor Brown
C: Kirsten McLeod, Ellie Blackburn, Ash Guest
HF: Jess Fitzgerald, Izzy Huntington, Brooke Lochland
F: Bonnie Toogood, Isabella Grant
Foll: Celine Moody, Gabby Newton, Kirsty Lamb
Int: Nell Morris-Dalton, Kim Rennie, Naomi Ferres, Deanna Berry, Liz Georgostathis
Emer: Isabelle Pritchard, Hannah Scott

jazzadogs
12-02-2021, 06:53 PM
Theres a video of Issy surprising Chris with the news up on the website.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/860923/aflw-grant-surprises-grant?videoId=860923&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1613011415001

Loved this video - the connection between father and daughter was really beautiful, and it is so exciting to be seeing a Grant in #3!

I've enjoyed reading the discussion on this thread, particular thanks to Raw Toast for your insight. The standard of skills, game sense and decision marking has improved markedly year-on-year.

I was involved in a football club in London which very successfully incorporated the mens and womens teams. We would warm up and do our first couple of drills together, and I was able to see in that environment the stark improvement of adult women (and also adult non-aussie men playing for the first time!) with training and coaching. It's no surprise how the aflw system has lead to big changes.

Strongly agree about the coverage of the game being overly positive - there is definitely an agenda behind it of 'dont promote or accentuate the bad stuff because it just encourages trolls', and I'm sure within clubs there is more constructive criticism, but I would like to see more analysis and critique of players and game plans.

Tipping the dogs by 20+ tonight. Hopefully Elite Blackburn has another blinder. Loving Sarah Hartwig's composure in defence too!

Raw Toast
12-02-2021, 08:31 PM
Lots to like, but it wouldn't be our Dogs without us stuffing up the final kick on most occasions.

Geelong are there for the taking of course, though their ball-movement has been ok.

Nevertheless, our pressure is first rate again, and the structure around contests seems to be improving. Lovely passage of play to get a goal.

Grant has flashed significant promise as well. Glorious to see the #3 on the field, and a nice stab pass as well to warm Twodogs' heart.

Hartwig magnificent, Ferres very good as well.

azabob
12-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Great article by the clubs runner.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fierce-and-proud-being-the-bulldogs-runner-has-helped-me-get-women-s-footy-20210211-p571ld.html

Raw Toast
12-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Dominating everywhere but the scoreboard.

Struggling with our overlap handpasses, but I'm not against the idea. And still stuffing up the final kick into the 50 in time honoured fashion. Hopefully we'll break the game open in the second half by converting our opportunities. I still like our intent to keep attacking, although there were also times when the shorter kick to a free player was clearly the best option...

Gamble has really developed, and Lynch remains a stand-out, with Brown also impressing. A great defensive pairing, and Guesty organises everyone very well.

Gogos might be on borrowed time (I'd prefer to have Hannah Scott in over her), but did some nice defensive things. Lochland looks to have lost a step, but is hopefully still working her way back into things. McLeod is mercurial, but one of those forwards who gives away a few too many frustrating free kicks with bad/over-agressive technique in contests...

comrade
12-02-2021, 09:18 PM
Cats dominating this quarter.

Raw Toast
12-02-2021, 09:24 PM
Cats dominating this quarter.

Awful quarter, our worst of the season. Started breaking down the contest, and despite great work from the G's (Gogos making me eat my words, Gamble, and Guesty), we started to get a bit overwhelmed.

We've still got the class, but need to use it better to win this.

Grantysghost
12-02-2021, 09:57 PM
Fitzgerald is going to bring people through the gate. Some goal.

bornadog
12-02-2021, 10:01 PM
We ran out the game better than Geelong. We certainly are fit.

jazzadogs
12-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Fitzgerald will quickly join Blackburn, Lamb and Huntington in our elite tier. Clever, powerful and skilful player

Georgosthasis has had a great start to the year, along with Guest, Lynch and Gamble in defence. I still love what Hartwig is bringing to the table. I would have been shocked if you'd told me that Spark wouldn't be getting a game...her and Scott have been defensive mainstays for us, nice to see the new breed coming through.

Lochland was more involved tonight, playing on a wing, but I'm not sure it's the right position for her. I assume she is good aerobically and that's how she finds herself up the ground.

Big fan of Dee Berry's skills as well.

Regarding our overall structure...it's not really there is it? Lots of pressure on Izzy getting the bailout kick or a quick break with McLeod running on to it. I would love to see us switch the play a bit more, although I understand that we might not be ready for that until our foot skills improve.

I think we will get cut open by Crows/North/Lions, but it's nice to get a few wins against lesser teams.

SonofScray
12-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Moody was terrific in the ruck.
Ash Guest’s bump on the head was fitting, given the tenacity she brought to the contest.

Toogood had a “nearly” for the opportunities that presented, she could have made a bigger impact. Worked hard.

Fitzy is a gun.

jazzadogs
12-02-2021, 10:15 PM
From Swamp - Izzy Grant was 22 months old when the Bulldogs last won in Geelong (2003)

Bulldog Joe
12-02-2021, 11:49 PM
Moody was terrific in the ruck.
Ash Guest’s bump on the head was fitting, given the tenacity she brought to the contest.

Toogood had a “nearly” for the opportunities that presented, she could have made a bigger impact. Worked hard.

Fitzy is a gun.

Clearly the best game I have seen from Moody. Will be a big plus if she can build on this effort.

Happy Days
12-02-2021, 11:50 PM
Dogs flag?

bornadog
12-02-2021, 11:53 PM
Dogs flag?

A couple of teams will be hard to beat - North are looking pretty good, but you never know

Hotdog60
13-02-2021, 12:10 AM
You can see they're trying to move the ball through traffic with hands but its just not there yet with missed targets and bad timing.
If it starts to gel things may start to happen.
Geelong would have been fired up on their home turf so its good to walk away with a win.

Dad should rub it into Issy that he had 9 marks and 2goals 3 behinds in his first game. :p

jazzadogs
13-02-2021, 12:32 AM
Clearly the best game I have seen from Moody. Will be a big plus if she can build on this effort.

Moody (23yo) and Rennie (26yo) were a really nice combo in the ruck tonight. Looking forward to watching them continue their development as a duo. Makes a huge difference to our midfield.

Hope it's not the last effective Bulldogs ruck duo we see this year...

Happy Days
13-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Catching up on the game now. At half time, definitely not as pretty to watch as our last couple of games but we're clearly the better team.

Georgostathis (who I just learned is not called "Georgia Stathis" which was leaving me wondering why she got the full name treatment every time on commentary) could be a really damaging player but her ball use is brutal. Hopefully she can clean that up because she can definitely find it.

Conversely, we've got a good one in Gamble. A player that size who can kick it like she can is gold in AFLW.

Raw Toast
13-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Catching up on the game now. At half time, definitely not as pretty to watch as our last couple of games but we're clearly the better team.

Georgostathis (who I just learned is not called "Georgia Stathis" which was leaving me wondering why she got the full name treatment every time on commentary) could be a really damaging player but her ball use is brutal. Hopefully she can clean that up because she can definitely find it.

Conversely, we've got a good one in Gamble. A player that size who can kick it like she can is gold in AFLW.

Georgostathis reminds me a bit of the older Liberatore in a good way, but both at times had a tendancy to kick the ball higher rather than longer...

Gamble has been in our system for awhile. Starting to look like the classic KP development - started off slowly, did some nice things at times last season, now beginning to bloom into a good to very good CHB.

bornadog
13-02-2021, 01:53 PM
How good is Ellie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuBpjqpVEAYyN7p?format=jpg&name=large

soupman
13-02-2021, 09:21 PM
Blackburns kick to McLeod in the last is genuinely elite. It's perfect.

Also the black eye Guest gets immediately after is incredible, as are the pics of it today. Makes Kirsty Lambs look like nothing.

Hotdog60
13-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Also the black eye Guest gets immediately after is incredible, as are the pics of it today. Makes Kirsty Lambs look like nothing.

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-2155381/a3ba7cd9a384007f4db556fdcda4efe2728f08cb.png

Happy Days
13-02-2021, 09:46 PM

The one to Huntington in the first was beautiful too. I'm not kidding when I say she's the best kick at the club.

The Underdog
13-02-2021, 09:51 PM
The one to Huntington in the first was beautiful too. I'm not kidding when I say she's the best kick at the club.

I was watching her genuinely wondering if she could play in our VFL side.

comrade
14-02-2021, 01:11 AM
I was watching her genuinely wondering if she could play in our VFL side.

Skills wise, possibly. Physically, she'd be no match for the average VFL footballer.

jeemak
14-02-2021, 01:25 AM
I guess it's relative to physical capability.

The Underdog
14-02-2021, 07:57 AM
Skills wise, possibly. Physically, she'd be no match for the average VFL footballer.

More or less upper body strength than Matt Suckling? :)

Bulldog4life
14-02-2021, 11:58 AM

All the players are so gutsy the way the play. Their coach was the same. He ended up playing in a helmet.

ratsmac
14-02-2021, 12:11 PM
More or less upper body strength than Matt Suckling? :)

Poor Suckers is still coping drive bys!

Boots
14-02-2021, 02:04 PM

She's rapidly emerging as my favourite dogsW player to watch. I don't mind the (comparative) lack of skills, but I really, really appreciate the determination and work ethic.

But yeah our women's fitness has really told in the last three weeks. I'm loving this season.

EasternWest
14-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Poor Suckers is still coping drive bys!

This is the way.

SonofScray
18-02-2021, 05:48 PM
Sunday game is open to fans. Got tickets sorted, but still not 100% sold that the system for members is much chop. Awful trouble booking additional tickets for my 5 yo daughter and wife.

bornadog
18-02-2021, 10:27 PM
AFLW Round 4 | Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne

When: Sunday 21st February

Where: Victoria University Whitten Oval

Game Starts: 3.10pm AEDT

HOSE B ROMERO
21-02-2021, 02:08 PM
Off to the game. Who knows how many games/visits to wo will be possible this year.
We've had some great clashes with the demons in the past. From memory we won a tight one in 2018 that got us to the grand final and eventual premiers.
Melbourne will deservedly start favourites. But if we can knock them off it would really shake things up.
I read recently that Libby Birch said that she is happier at Melbourne as there was not unity within the team during her last season with us. However Blackburn responded that while she is entitled to her opinion, she was wrong.
A bit of spice. Just what the game needs.

azabob
21-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Kirsten McLeod is eligible to play for the men’s team once the aflw season is over, right?

Hotdog60
21-02-2021, 04:58 PM
The Dees are doing alright from the men in green. Can you push the ruck in the back when going from the hit out?
It wasn't with the hand but the forearm but it was fair in the middle of the back.
Sorry my bias is coming through.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:19 PM
What a joke of a free kick against Toogood.

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:21 PM
What a joke of a free kick against Toogood.

Yep, that was garbage. The perfect tackle, had her for an age and then when the umpire refused to pay it, rolled her to the ground.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Yep, that was garbage. The perfect tackle, had her for an age and then when the umpire refused to pay it, rolled her to the ground.

Ticked off by the commentary box too of course.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Seriously did Bonnie hit this guys dog with her car or something?

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:27 PM

These umpires suck. Missed about half a dozen HTB calls on Demons this quarter and then pay the 50/50 one late against the Dogs.

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:30 PM
And the commentary sucks too.

azabob
21-02-2021, 05:33 PM

I have the volume down, looked like she took a mark and the umpires called touched.

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Clutchburn.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:39 PM
I have the volume down, looked like she took a mark and the umpires called touched.

Well you’re half right.

Thankfully we have an Ellie Blackburn.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:40 PM
Another sterling decision. Are these guys trainees or something.

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:43 PM
That free kick was so blatant not even these umpires could overlook it. Nice finish, the female commentator hates it.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:48 PM
The result in this game really speaks to why I’m so bullish about our chances. The contributions you get from your top 2-3 players is so valuable in AFLW, and no one has a better top 2-3 players than us.

Melbourne might honestly be a deeper team than us, but they simply don’t have players who can finish from the boundary or from 50m like we do, as evidenced in the 2.11 to 6.1 score lines.

Happy Days
21-02-2021, 05:50 PM
My bad Goddard just informed me that this doesn’t count because Melbourne were missing one player.

azabob
21-02-2021, 05:51 PM
Brown and Gamble have been huge in defence.

Our willingness to run and take the game on from our backline has been a pleasure to watch

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:54 PM

Our willingness to run and take the game on from our backline has been a pleasure to watch

The defence has a good mix with Scott as a battering ram, and Lynch intercepting.

Huntington is a freak. Her ability to take marks and release the pressure down the line is huge.

The Underdog
21-02-2021, 05:56 PM

Brown has really come on in leaps and bounds this year. Super impressed.
Gamble and Lynch have proved to be a formidable key back team. What a great 2nd half.
Huntington and Fitzgerald are class.

Can’t believe a Bulldogs team just won a game with superb conversion from half as many inside 50’s as the opposition.

comrade
21-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Blackburn, Huntington and Lamb is a pretty handy top 3.

josie
21-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Girls won despite biased umpiring.

Gee the marking & kicking has improved so much since inception. Blackburn, Huntington, Fitzgerald, Brown, Gamble, McLeod, Lamb....we have some seriously good players. And when Scott lays a tackle, boy you’d feel it. A level of toughness & determination with this side.

On one hand Dees would rue their inaccuracy, however ours was superb and we tended to put a lot of their kicks inside 50 under a fair bit of pressure.

Go Dogs!! Beat GWS next week and finals beckon.

Hotdog60
21-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Good win by the girls. I thought we needed to cover Paxman as she was the main driving force for them but our defense held strong and its good to have teams struggle to score at the kennel again. :)

mjp
21-02-2021, 06:22 PM
I thought we needed to cover Paxman as she was the main driving force...

That's interesting.

I thought Paxman was an absolute liability for Melbourne with her indiscriminate handballs and the way she continually 'passed on the pressure' to her team-mates behind the contest. I think she had 9x possessions in q3 and I would think 7 of them were ineffective and 5 of those were direct turnovers.

Melbourne didn't take advantage in the 1st half when they dominated the ball...tough luck.

I continue to be over the umpires and the commentators. SO BAD. Simple criticism of the players is continually turned into excuse making - I'm pretty sure that - for example - Toogood would be more than happy for the commentators to criticise her poor i50 entry in the last q when she effectively gave the ball away...just whitewashing it proves nothing. Equally, Fitzgerald kicked a nice enough goal in the 2nd q but for Goddard to go on and on about it as if it was some kind of miracle....the question should have been - where was her opponent with the suggestion being that - 4 games or 44 games into a career, you cannot allow a good finisher like her to sit in space at the front of a contest. Carmody is such a goose he suggested the Melbourne players would have a thoughtful drive home back over the Westgate bridge...where the hell does he think they are going???? Geelong?

Hotdog60
21-02-2021, 06:35 PM
That's interesting.

She looked like the main ball winner and I would have like someone to tighten the reins a bit. Yes her disposal wasn't as precise but what if it was. As for the comments I slagged off at the TV in the first quarter and after composing myself I decided to save it for when the men start.
I zoned out after that and had male selective hearing.

Twodogs
21-02-2021, 06:37 PM
That's interesting.

I thought Paxman was an absolute liability for Melbourne with her indiscriminate handballs and the way she continually 'passed on the pressure' to her team-mates behind the contest. I think she had 9x possessions in q3 and I would think 7 of them were ineffective and 5 of those were direct turnovers.

Melbourne didn't take advantage in the 1st half when they dominated the ball...tough luck.

I continue to be over the umpires and the commentators. SO BAD. Simple criticism of the players is continually turned into excuse making - I'm pretty sure that - for example - Toogood would be more than happy for the commentators to criticise her poor i50 entry in the last q when she effectively gave the ball away...just whitewashing it proves nothing. Equally, Fitzgerald kicked a nice enough goal in the 2nd q but for Goddard to go on and on about it as if it was some kind of miracle....the question should have been - where was her opponent with the suggestion being that - 4 games or 44 games into a career, you cannot allow a good finisher like her to sit in space at the front of a contest. Carmody is such a goose he suggested the Melbourne players would have a thoughtful drive home back over the Westgate bridge...where the hell does he think they are going???? Geelong?

You've been gone for too long mate*. Whitten oval and Geelong are on the same side of the Westgate. The Williamstown Rd exit ramp turns left onto the Westgate bridge. Geelong Rd (as in the Geelong Rd end) gets you to Geelong.

*You have actually

GVGjr
21-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Great effort by our team in front of a good crowd

comrade
21-02-2021, 06:43 PM
A few things to work on: Georgastasis should never attempt to bounce under any circumstances. And no player should attempt to pass the ball 15 metres or less UNLESS the teammate is in acres of space, especially in defence.

Twodogs
21-02-2021, 06:45 PM
Off to the game. Who knows how many games/visits to wo will be possible this year.
We've had some great clashes with the demons in the past. From memory we won a tight one in 2018 that got us to the grand final and eventual premiers.
Melbourne will deservedly start favourites. But if we can knock them off it would really shake things up.
I read recently that Libby Birch said that she is happier at Melbourne as there was not unity within the team during her last season with us. However Blackburn responded that while she is entitled to her opinion, she was wrong.
A bit of spice. Just what the game needs.

It's not what I've heard and I've got a good contact.

mjp
21-02-2021, 06:55 PM
You've been gone for too long mate*. Whitten oval and Geelong are on the same side of the Westgate. The Williamstown Rd exit ramp turns left onto the Westgate bridge. Geelong Rd (as in the Geelong Rd end) gets you to Geelong.

*You have actually

Too funny.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Good atmosphere at the ground. So good to be able to barrack at the ground rather than on the couch. And no commentators.
Great to have Hannah Scott back for her first game of the year. The backline stood up well considering the amount of pressure they were under. Can't see Spark getting back in the team.
Boy it was so overcast i had to turn around and watch the game on the screen at times.
Go dogs!

Raw Toast
21-02-2021, 09:43 PM
Brilliant win.

Still have to watch it on tv to have more informed comments (although watching it from the Hawkins wing is just glorious).

Regarding Paxman, I've still got her as the best player in Victoria over the last few years (and highly under-rated at that), but from the ground eye view we gave her absolutely no space for most of the second half, and it did seem to put her off her game. Credit to Lamb especially, though I think Georgostathis also spent some time on her.

Wonderful pressure again, especially in the second half - it's a foundation that's worked very well for us so far this season. Umpiring absolutely appalling, hopefully that also turns around, because it's hard to win when so many decisions seem to be going against us.

Great to see Scott back, while Brown was fantastic, Gamble and Lynch also good to very good. We're really building something down back, while our forward structure looked to improve in the second half as well.

comrade
21-02-2021, 09:53 PM
Blackburn one out in the forward line is a move we should be trying more often. If she's one on one with an isolated defender, it's lights out.

SonofScray
22-02-2021, 01:13 AM
Looking forward to watching the replay.

At the ground, it looked like we really kicked on when our backline started to clamp right down and get very physical. No doubt Scotty an influence there, she’s a fierce competitor. A nice addition to a group of defenders who are building some good form.

Ellie, Lamb and Izzy the big threats again.

Umpires were genuinely bad I thought.

Boots
22-02-2021, 08:42 AM
Totally cracking game. I remember Nathan Burke saying at the start of the season that the women's team would be relying on their fitness to win games, and it certainly seems like they are outlasting their opponents. Even St. Kilda in round one, they nearly got there and became significantly more animated in the final term, partly I think because their opponents were tiring. Last two weeks they've shown the ability to keep going for four quarters and it's great.

Scott was brilliant. The shepherd she did for Brown as she ran the ball out of full back early in Q4 was just fantastic. Looked great at the ground (from behind the goal) and looked even better on the replay. She's got a great thumping kick. Hope we see more of her. Brown and Lynch were both great in defence, and I wonder how much they were lifted by Scott.

Poor Giorgostathis keeps getting noticed for her skills instead of the fact she's at almost every contest (although agree she needs to practise bouncing).

Melbourne feels like a big scalp and I can't wait to see how we do vs. Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and the roos.

azabob
22-02-2021, 09:08 AM
Would love to find a way to bring Bonnie Toogood into the game more.
Can be a matchwinner if she hits a purple patch.

Reminds me very much of Jake Stringer on-field - either boom or bust.

comrade
22-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Totally cracking game. I remember Nathan Burke saying at the start of the season that the women's team would be relying on their fitness to win games, and it certainly seems like they are outlasting their opponents. Even St. Kilda in round one, they nearly got there and became significantly more animated in the final term, partly I think because their opponents were tiring. Last two weeks they've shown the ability to keep going for four quarters and it's great.

Scott was brilliant. The shepherd she did for Brown as she ran the ball out of full back early in Q4 was just fantastic. Looked great at the ground (from behind the goal) and looked even better on the replay. She's got a great thumping kick. Hope we see more of her. Brown and Lynch were both great in defence, and I wonder how much they were lifted by Scott.

Poor Giorgostathis keeps getting noticed for her skills instead of the fact she's at almost every contest (although agree she needs to practise bouncing).

Melbourne feels like a big scalp and I can't wait to see how we do vs. Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood and the roos.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1363347960176672770

bornadog
22-02-2021, 09:54 AM
Would love to find a way to bring Bonnie Toogood into the game more.
Can be a matchwinner if she hits a purple patch.

Reminds me very much of Jake Stringer on-field - either boom or bust.

Will Bonnie get done for the sling tackle?

Happy Days
22-02-2021, 10:18 AM
Will Bonnie get done for the sling tackle?

Absolutely not. She should have got a free kick for it.

soupman
22-02-2021, 10:45 AM
Man this season has been such a step up in quality. It's gotten to the point where the only time you notice any skill limitations is when some of the girls have set shots from 30+ metres out. The marking in particular has been so impressive, and some teams including us have so much dash now. It's always been entertaining but this year has been s enjoyable to watch.

Our top liners have always been good but we have so many quality threats now. Blackburn, Fitzgerald and Huntington are all so clean and so dangerous with ball in hand, and the grunt we have across the field is so good now, we are so much better at halving if not outright winning contests. Been super impressed with Brown who prior to this season kind of just bounced around, Guest and Lynch have also been fantastic in defence.

Really looking forward to watching our next game, it is so enjoyable watching a Bulldogs side that gives it's all for 4 quarters and has genuine offensive threats up forward.

mjp
22-02-2021, 11:25 AM
Man this season has been such a step up in quality. It's gotten to the point where the only time you notice any skill limitations is when some of the girls have set shots from 30+ metres out. The marking in particular has been so impressive, and some teams including us have so much dash now. It's always been entertaining but this year has been s enjoyable to watch.

I love watching it.

The skill limitations show up as follows:

- Inability / unwillingness to switch the ball due to either skill limitations or confidence in skills.
- Constant double handling of the ball below knees which causes congestion. 'Clean' players like Fitzgerald are therefore making a massive on field impact...unfortunately most games feature some very poor ball handling related defending that costs goals.
- Consistent use of 'one hand only' to handball limiting the effectiveness. The girls handball skills remain sub par and this would be so easy to fix.

I will also add that as a 'competition', the players are still not in the physical condition to play elite sport. I get it - the argument will be that they aren't full time therefore cannot be expected to present as such, however if you were to compare the girls (remembering healthy body fat % for girls is 28% whilst for men it is only 20%) to a state league mens team (also not full time, and in most cases without the same access to elite level facilities) you would find a much higher percentage simply carrying too much weight...I guess it doesn't matter as much as the games aren't as long but in a sport with such an issue with ACL injuries being in optimum condition would be a GOOD THING.

comrade
22-02-2021, 12:28 PM
Yeah, biggest skill issue I notice is the ball handling at ground level. Even if a player is in plenty of space, they quickly get shut down once they fumble and it happens very, very often. Will surely improve over time but turns games into slogs when with a touch of clean handling, the ball would ping around much faster.

Bulldog4life
22-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Observations from me. Fierce is the appropriate name for this group. Their tackling and going in hard for the ball is sensational. Browny has improved from game to game this year with Sunday's game being her best. Scotty adds further aggression to the back half. Overall our backline is a very solid unit. Elle and Izzy are the standout stars. Izzy's goals were outstanding. You have to love Lamb's bull like approach to the game. She is important to the team without a doubt. I thoroughly enjoy watching this team. No negatives from me.

jazzadogs
22-02-2021, 05:44 PM
Lynch, Fitzgerald and Hartwig have been three huge inclusions to our squad this year. Particularly impressive debut seasons from Fitzy (clean under pressure with great skills) and Twig (love her dash out of defence, although she will definitely get herself in trouble every now and then by taking on too much!).

The defensive group are surprising me each week. Since Gamble replaced Spark they have really clicked as a unit. Scotty adds a lot of grunt to the group and would definitely make them walk taller, but Ferres also had her best game of the season - I really rate her and was surprised she didn't play round 1. Elsa Brown also played the best game I've seen - she has a lot more confidence this year and was more willing to stand up for herself.

As mjp mentioned, the lack of trust in skills to switch the ball makes it much easier to defend. I went to the North v Pies game at Marvel on Saturday night, and it was an absolute slog with the ball bouncing between the two defensive zones. Neither team managed to break through because they just kept kicking it 30-40m long and high into the middle of the zone. It is a real benefit of having Scott/Blackburn who can kick 50m accurately, and Huntington who can mark anything.

The umpiring was atrocious. The Toogood tackle was caused by them not blowing the whistle, and in general the tackler needs to rewarded more often. Too many times the ball gets thrown or dropped and it gets called play on, with a bit of a 'let the girls play' attitude. In contrast physical contact is too easily picked out for free kicks, when it is either a) not worthy of a free kick or b) caused by the clumsiness of a player who doesn't know how to brace for contact.

I thought we would be lucky to win 2-3 games for the season. Beating the Blues and Demons is a HUGE result for a developing team, and the Giants are definitely at a level that we can beat. I'm excited to see what happens.

Final thought - love that we have had 2 sold out games at Whitten Oval and had the largest crowd of the weekend!

bornadog
22-02-2021, 08:46 PM
Absolutely not. She should have got a free kick for it.

She got a reprimand (with an early plea) and a 400 dollar fine

bornadog
23-02-2021, 02:18 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu3QCU_VcAAvCHd?format=jpg&name=large

Hotdog60
23-02-2021, 03:45 PM
I don't mind the jumper.

bornadog
23-02-2021, 03:52 PM
I don't mind the jumper.

One of the better indigenous jumpers we have produced.

SonofScray
23-02-2021, 06:52 PM
Hate one off jumpers, but that one looks good at least.

Prince Imperial
23-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Been underwhelmed with all of our AFL indigenous guernseys but this AFLW one is a beauty.

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 10:38 AM
ROUND 5 TEAM

Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants

Saturday 27 February, 3.10pm AEDT

VU Whitten Oval

B: Naomi Ferres, Ellyse Gamble

HB: Ash Guest, Katie Lynch, Eleanor Brown

C: Bailey Hunt, Ellie Blackburn, Deanna Berry

HF: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Izzy Huntington, Brooke Lochland

F: Bonnie Toogood, Kirsten McLeod

Foll: Celine Moody, Gabby Newton, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Dani Marshall, Kim Rennie, Hannah Scott, Sarah Hartwig, Jess Fitzgerald

Emer: Isabelle Pritchard, Isabella Grant

Bulldog4life
27-02-2021, 12:12 PM
I am impressed with the backline. It is a settled and impressive unit. Bad luck to Granty. You'll be back.

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 12:32 PM
To be honest Grant hasn't done much when she has been in.
Hopefully in time that will change as it will be good see the number 3 run around.

Bulldog4life
27-02-2021, 12:42 PM
To be honest Grant hasn't done much when she has been in.
Hopefully in time that will change as it will be good see the number 3 run around.

Agree although she does go in for the hard ball which is impressive in her first couple of games.

bornadog
27-02-2021, 04:51 PM
Huntington and Toogood are on fire

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 04:54 PM
Bonnie's good..;)

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 04:56 PM
I starting to like our play.
Burke may be winning me over.
Our defense has become a tight unit and the one player I'm impressed with is Brown who has come on leaps and bounds.

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 04:59 PM
If Lochland can get rid of the fumbles she would become a weapon in the side at the moment she is almost a liability because she stifles our moment by not getting a clean pick up.

bornadog
27-02-2021, 05:04 PM
If Lochland can get rid of the fumbles she would become a weapon in the side at the moment she is almost a liability because she stifles our moment by not getting a clean pick up.

That is the biggest issue with the women's game.

bornadog
27-02-2021, 05:32 PM
Nice to see

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1365530978047848449

Murphy'sLore
27-02-2021, 05:58 PM
Bulldogs third on the ladder after that win.

Hotdog60
27-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Shame about Berry she one of our better movers. Hopefully just hyperextended because it looked like nothing in it.
Although her expression would indicate the worst.
Good win and apart from the last enjoyable watching.

bornadog
27-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Bulldogs third on the ladder after that win.

Looking dangerous now

Grantysghost
27-02-2021, 06:43 PM
I was at the game today, 1.)Ah the Whitten Oval what nostalgia walking in to that wonderful arena, 2.)The standard has improved out of sight, some ripping passages of play and sharp shooting around goal.
Huntington is absolutely imposing, one of the best talents weve had at the club I'd say. Real match winner. All the girls were great today.

Bulldog4life
27-02-2021, 06:59 PM
Izzy and Bonny's games and goal kicking was superb. A young side with plenty of improvement still to come.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-02-2021, 07:20 PM
I was at the game today, 1.)Ah the Whitten Oval what nostalgia walking in to that wonderful arena, 2.)The standard has improved out of sight, some ripping passages of play and sharp shooting around goal.
Huntington is absolutely imposing, one of the best talents weve had at the club I'd say. Real match winner. All the girls were great today.

It's just such a great atmosphere.
Sat on the outer flank. We were right behind Toogood when she turned her opponent inside out on the boundary and kicked the running goal. Superb.
The goalkicking has been wonderful the last couple of weeks. And in this competition that's going to be a big advantage.

Smads57
27-02-2021, 07:29 PM
There was a particular passage of play in the last with Fitzgerald on the Hawkins wing where she evaded a couple and kicked to McLeod but the mark wasn’t paid. If anyone can capture that piece of play on video, we’d be looking at a potential Brownlow medalist (or the AFLW equivalent). She is worth going to watch a game live #23

Grantysghost
27-02-2021, 07:45 PM
There was a particular passage of play in the last with Fitzgerald on the Hawkins wing where she evaded a couple and kicked to McLeod but the mark wasn’t paid. If anyone can capture that piece of play on video, we’d be looking at a potential Brownlow medalist (or the AFLW equivalent). She is worth going to watch a game live #23

That was sublime skill.

Raw Toast
28-02-2021, 12:50 AM
Another great game, although with the bitterness of Berry presumably doing her ACL.

GWS aren't bad, and we beat them at their foundation of pressure (both with contested possessions and tackles, with a bit of perceived pressure then coming into it as well).

As The Underdog noted in a text to me, it's getting harder not to become a Burke believer. We're still very young (I was shocked that Berry's only 22, seemed like she'd been around forever, and she kicked a vital goal in the 2018 GF). Our ball movement continues to improve and complement our generally maniacal pressure - you can see various parts of the game-plan slowly come to fruition. The hand-balling is getting better (although still lots of room for improvement), and our ball use by foot has become much more efficient. We transitioned beautifully out of defense a few times today, and some of the final passes into the 50 were superb.

Plus the team continues to generally structure up really well - from being able get out the back a few times, to stopping them doing the same.

Of course, it all remains a work in progress. A few of the short passes (and initial handpasses) were awful, but there were enough times where it really worked and became clear what we're trying to do, which is to play attacking, clever but measured football, with a fair bit of flair to it as well.

One of the things that was clear is that we're obviously looking to bring it inboard with the 45 kick into the middle after we exit the defensive 50 to an outlet on either wing. Then once we have it in the middle, we run it (and kick it) straight down their throat.

And if anyone has thought of being able to get to a game but hasn't done so yet, it's a fantastic experience. I'm one of those who wishes the season was longer, and actually as is probably obvious, I'm enjoying the AFLW comp more than the AFLM comp at the moment (though I still passionate support the Dogs in both formats).

To some players:

Georgostathis was vital early on. Has that Libba like ability to make tackle after tackle, and to equalise contests when the opposition seems about to burst away. Courageous like so many of the players (she got a bit banged up in this game), and also has deceptive speed. Fortunately didn't try to bounce the ball in this game, but I think she's been working a fair bit on her kicking, and this week (as well as even more last week), she's shown she can hit targets with flatter, speedier delivery. Never going to be that deep a kick (and had no chance at the end of the 3rd quarter after the siren into what was a deceptively strong breeze).

Lochland had her best game of the last few seasons I think (in a bit of a disagreement with an earlier poster). Might have lost her top-end speed, though she still seems to be getting her legs under her a bit more. I do agree that she often wasn't clean enough, but she made so many contests, had great pressure, showed good vision with the ball, and presented really well as one of those outlets. It was clear at the game that she and Marshall (among others), were doing really important running that at times wasn't rewarded.

Fitzgerald is just a Rolls Royce, like a young Chris Grant and Bont obviously were. Hawkins might be an even more apt comparison (though of course she's just at the start, so comparisons are made in hope). She didn't impact this game a heap, but the skills and flair is glorious. The look away handpass over her head - that went just where it needed to go - was so seamless it's hard even on the replay to see how good it was. The fake out of her opponent on the wing in the last that someone else noted, where she went to kick, and then calmly bounced her way passed them. Her tap of the ball past two players to not only get possession, but break into space away from both of them was a bit reminiscent of what she did against Geelong. And she's one of those who quietly racks up a decent amount of tackles.

Guesty is in career best form I think. I've watched her play, on and off, for more than a decade now. She joined the Spurs (where my partner played at a lower level) in the same year that she started uni (where she just happened to take a class that I taught). She's always had a great left foot with a raking kick, but this is the first year at AFLW level that I've seen her start to consistently use that as a weapon. Perhaps it's due to the move from the midfield to back flank, where she organises the other defenders really well, and is playing something of the late career Luke Hodge role of reading the play and inserting herself at the right moment. I'm not saying she's as good as him of course, but her ability to come off her player to disrupt opposition sorties forward is excellent. And her goal-saving tackle at the end of the first quarter was great.

Ferres (another former Spur who practiced with the 2nds for her first week at that club before tearing it up in an intraclub encounter and never leaving the firsts), also had another cracker of a game. At times you can still see why she was undrafted, and when you're not at the game, you don't notice her as much. But she's also so good at inserting herself into the play with sheer determination, while giving repeat effort after repeat effort in the contest. Also is very good at playing within herself (like a later career Matty Boyd, she gets the ball off cleanly to someone in a better position without trying to make the more difficult kicks that are beyond her).

Lamb was a little quiet to start this season, but as well as getting back to her bullocking best in the contest, I really like how she's starting to spread when we win the ball, and was a key target for our defenders when they brought the ball back inside.

Newton is interesting. Decent in contests, with good hands, and generally good at hitting people by foot (with a horror exception when she kicked it to Staunton). She's got the body of a key-position player, and I still feel like she's only scratching the surface of what she will be able to do. At times she shows flashes of someone who will just be able to impose herself on contests and rip the ball out in the way that those big-bodied AFLM midfielders can.

Good to see Hunt back, while Brown, Gamble, and Lynch continue to work really well together - Brown was probably the best of them, although she had a few dodgy kicks. One thing that this defensive trio do really well is recover quickly from marking contests. Their ability to quickly put in second efforts once the ball comes to ground is impressive, and Brown especially, has started showing the ability to become a weapon (as well as sometimes a liability!) when she gets the ball in the back half.

Probably some other things to add at some point, but this is getting long enough. I did like the point that Dixon made in commentary (when watching the replay), that our forwards are generally good at not flying against each other. A couple of times players clearly withdrew from contests when the leading forward called 'mine!'.

I actually thought that the tv commentary was better this time. They were effusive about the Dogs of course, but showed themselves a bit more capable of criticism of both individual players, and the way GWS ended up trying to play the game. And while I also want commentators to be able to be more critical, I still generally greatly prefer the play-by-play callers of AFLW to BT, Brayshaw, Bruce, Eddie and almost all of the AFLM callers who consistently drive me crazy (to the point of often just turning the volume off...).

Oh, and next week against the Pies (at Vic Park) is going to be huge.

jazzadogs
28-02-2021, 02:47 AM
Great summary Raw Toast. I feel that we have really started to embrace the game plan over the last few weeks, and are using our strengths to our advantage. I don't think we're the third best side in it, but we are fun to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing what the season holds for us!

Hotdog60
28-02-2021, 07:53 AM
Thanks Raw Toast great write up I enjoyed reading your summary of the game.
Yes I was the one to bag Lochland and my assessment was may at half time and I'll admit she was a lot better in the second half and linked up well across the ground and her ball use was a lot cleaner.
As for the work rate you will never see the amount of effort on a small square box.
I appreciate your (and others) summaries that can physically be at the game as you can only appreciate AFL football when watching it live as the cameras can never catch what's happing outside 1080p.

SonofScray
28-02-2021, 09:15 AM
Was there. Just watched the replay to see if that changed my perspective on a few things.

Noting Raw Toast’s comments on Lochland: I said to a mate that she is probably the next “name” to fall out of the squad by virtue of younger players overwhelming her position with pure footy talent. Thought perhaps her position in the side was of it’s time and that time had passed. I think we’ve seen that with KB, Mo Hope etc.

It wasn’t a fair assessment. Her role has changed significantly and she’s offering plenty as a two way, running player. Excellent work rate and pressure in transition. Her presence at the coal face where a little win and some pace opens things up is an asset.

Bonnie I have described as a “nearly” type of player. Clearly good, but just a shade off excellent. She’s taken some huge strides towards excellent this season and yesterday was an emphatic demonstration of that. Full of belief, competitive and daring. Delightful to watch her grow as a footballer.

Ferres, Scott and Lynch brought the hard and tough moments attacking the ball carrier. Those moments to me are emblematic of the Club’s identity and when we have players of that nature doing that work, doing it well, it bodes well right across the board. We’ve been lamenting a lack of it in our men’s squad but we are batting very deep on this front in AFLW. Lamb, Ellie, Guest, Georgostathis are consistent on this front too.

Gabby has more to give I think. She’s a real athlete, cuts an impressive figure on the field and gets in the thick of it. Plays this blue collar, small ball type of game with flashes of elite skill. I think she’d benefit from taking the game on a bit more and looking to take more grass with her possessions. Keep the mind set defensively but really look to sweep the footy away when she has it.

Jack Fitzpatrick was impressive in his comments on the telecast. Very upbeat, clear communicator. He’s good value I suspect.

My 5YO and I were there, dad and daughter time. Sitting in approximately the spot that we sat in when I was wee lad, learning the value of this Club and way it’s story is weaved into the fabric of my family and community. It’s an amazing feeling to reflect on that and see the wheel turning in real time in a new generation. I don’t mean to trivialise Indigenous culture, but I imagine that feeling sits somewhere with the idea of feeling a connection the land, a sense of place etc. Playing games at VUWO and having fans there is very important and valuable to us.

Happy Days
28-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Great summations to everyone so far. Umpires continue to umpire AFLW like disappointed parents but generally a pretty good day out. Apart from Geelong we haven't really played any of the second tier teams so good to put them away so clinically.

Real bummer for Berry. It was right in front of us and can't be anything other than an ACL. She was really coming along this season as a good version of Bailey Dale and we'll miss her excellent kicking.

Reckon that was Toogood's best game ever and probably what we've been waiting for from her. That goal from the boundary was utter filth. Huntington unbelievable too and McLeod did some things again (and should've been paid that mark). The forward line is dangerous in the air, on the ground and generally any time the ball is near any of them.

Weirdly down game from Blackburn, and pretty annoyed she violated my social contract of not taking on the tackler within 10m of opposition goal. She'll be fine I'm sure.

I think players like Lochland and Georgostathis are always going to be limited by their skills but you can't say they don't leave it all out there. Our concerns regarding the mens team's willingness to play team first footy absolutely does not apply to the women.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-02-2021, 06:55 PM
Collingwood top of the ladder.

Really look forward to 'Hot Dogs, Cold Pies' next Sunday.

bornadog
01-03-2021, 12:59 AM
Collingwood top of the ladder.

Really look forward to 'Hot Dogs, Cold Pies' next Sunday.

We will see where we are at.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-03-2021, 09:40 PM
VFLW _ One that might have slipped under the radar, round one was played on the weekend and the dogs beat the hawks by 36 points. Hawthorn not having any AFLW players may have given us an advantage but great for us to get our first win on the board.
Go dogs!

Bulldog4life
02-03-2021, 08:14 AM
VFLW _ One that might have slipped under the radar, round one was played on the weekend and the dogs beat the hawks by 36 points. Hawthorn not having any AFLW players may have given us an advantage but great for us to get our first win on the board.
Go dogs!

Are the players not getting a game with our AFLW playing with our playing VFLW team Hose? When I saw the playing list for the VFLW side I didn't see any AFLW players on it.

soupman
02-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Are the players not getting a game with our AFLW playing with our playing VFLW team Hose? When I saw the playing list for the VFLW side I didn't see any AFLW players on it.

There were a few. Van Oosterwick and Grant definitely played

HOSE B ROMERO
02-03-2021, 07:18 PM

Pritchard, Gutkneckt, Morris-Dalton, Lagioia, Strahan played also. I guess it works the same as the men's comps in that the afl listed player will not appear on the vfl playing list.

HOSE B ROMERO
02-03-2021, 07:21 PM
For anyone interested, our vflw team play North at Arden Street this Sunday at 9.30
I'm sure you won't have to book a ticket with ticketmaster for this one.

bornadog
05-03-2021, 06:38 PM
AFLW Round 6 | Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs

When: Sunday 7 March 2021
Where: Victoria Park
Gates Open: TBC
Game Starts: 2.40pm (AEDT)

Isabelle Pritchard will come in for Berry (ACL) Isabelle a draft pick starred last week in the VFLW win.

Collingwood are undefeated, so will be a big test for the girls.

Bulldog4life
06-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Final rounds of AFLW fixture confirmed

The Western Bulldogs will face North Melbourne, Adelaide and Richmond in the final three rounds of the 2021 NAB AFLW premiership season, as announced by the AFL this evening.

The AFLW Bulldogs will travel to Hobart next Saturday night for their battle against the Kangaroos in round seven, before flying to Adelaide to take on the Crows in round eight.

They will then open round nine by hosting the Tigers under lights on home turf at VU Whitten Oval.

The 2021 AFLW finals series is scheduled to begin the weekend of April 3, with the top six teams to advance.

The Western Bulldogs currently sit in fifth spot on the ladder, and have a four-game winning streak after beating the Giants last weekend.

The AFLW Bulldogs will look to continue their winning ways when they meet ladder-leaders Collingwood at Victoria Park this Sunday afternoon.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/872416/final-rounds-of-aflw-fixture-confirmed

Hotdog60
06-03-2021, 07:33 PM
ROUND 6 TEAM

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 7 March, 2.40pm AEDT
Victoria Park

C: Sarah Hartwig, Ellie Blackburn, Bailey Hunt
HF: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Izzy Huntington, Brooke Lochland
Foll: Kim Rennie, Jess Fitzgerald, Kirsty Lamb
Int: Dani Marshall, Celine Moody, Hannah Scott, Isabelle Pritchard, Gabby Newton

Emer: Britney Gutknecht, Gemma Lagioia

Hotdog60
07-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Tight game at the moment very defensive.

Hotdog60
07-03-2021, 04:21 PM
It's good to see they decided to bring only one camera to the ground hard to see whats going on to the right of screen.

The Underdog
07-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Being outplayed by a better team unfortunately. Hung with them for a half but getting blown out now.

Bulldog Joe
07-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Being outplayed by a better team unfortunately. Hung with them for a half but getting blown out now.

Unfortuntely true. Brianna Davey in particular, just way too powerful for us.

We probably needed to do something to get Huntington into the action, but we were outclassed.

bornadog
07-03-2021, 06:15 PM
Pies to good and blew us away in the 3rd.

HOSE B ROMERO
07-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Brown did a fantastic job on Molloy.
When i saw the match up before the game i thought molloy would be just too big and strong for her. Brown is going to be a star.
We really need another midfielder while we wait for our girls to mature.

HOSE B ROMERO
07-03-2021, 09:35 PM
A round of blowouts with the closest game being 33 points.

HOSE B ROMERO
07-03-2021, 09:43 PM
vflw round 2

north 5.7.37
dogs 2.4.16

not a good weekend for our girls. or us supporters.

Happy Days
07-03-2021, 09:44 PM
Missed the game today but sounds like a huge bummer. Really think we have the talent to be the best side so to see a one sided loss is pretty shocking.

Hotdog60
07-03-2021, 11:39 PM
I didn't see the last quarter probably just as well.
Davey was damaging and we need someone to curb her influence. It looked like we couldn't get our flow going and I'd say the Pies did there homework and were ready for the long bombs into the forward line. We needed a plan B.

Prince Imperial
08-03-2021, 12:39 AM
Today was almost exactly the same result as the 2019 VFLW grand final with quite a few of the same players involved (though not our Gemma Lagioia who was playing for Collingwood that day). :(

https://websites.sportstg.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=125442095&c=0-118-0-518546-0&pool=1001

Great turnout from our fans today with a 50/50 split against an undefeated Collingwood at their spiritual home.

I agree that Brown's transformation this year has been unbelievable and I hope she's a taste of what our second year high draft picks will deliver.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 10:11 AM
I didn't see the last quarter probably just as well.
Davey was damaging and we need someone to curb her influence. It looked like we couldn't get our flow going and I'd say the Pies did there homework and were ready for the long bombs into the forward line. We needed a plan B.

Midfield was well and truly beaten, so we couldn't get any drive out of the centre to give our big forwards some chances.

mjp
08-03-2021, 10:56 AM
We really need another midfielder while we wait for our girls to mature.

I don't really agree with this.

We need a PREDICTABLE method of getting the ball out of D50. During the 3rd when the pressure was on we had no clear method to exit...so the girls starting guessing, playing on unnecessarily and forcing the ball to a contest (at best) or kicking directly to the Collingwood mids set up behind the ball.

It starts by allowing the defenders to play their roles and defend...we might need a plus 1 (or even plus 2) pushing back...but at one point (despite the appalling video footage) I think we were plus FIVE in d50. So...who are we going to kick it to?

Very frustrating. Pretty fixable though.

HOSE B ROMERO
08-03-2021, 01:16 PM
I don't really agree with this.

We need a PREDICTABLE method of getting the ball out of D50. During the 3rd when the pressure was on we had no clear method to exit...so the girls starting guessing, playing on unnecessarily and forcing the ball to a contest (at best) or kicking directly to the Collingwood mids set up behind the ball.

It starts by allowing the defenders to play their roles and defend...we might need a plus 1 (or even plus 2) pushing back...but at one point (despite the appalling video footage) I think we were plus FIVE in d50. So...who are we going to kick it to?

Very frustrating. Pretty fixable though.

That may be the case . But after Blackburn and Lamb there is daylight to the next group.

HOSE B ROMERO
08-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Missed the game today but sounds like a huge bummer. Really think we have the talent to be the best side so to see a one sided loss is pretty shocking.

Pre-season i don't think many had us top six. Huge upside for us.

bornadog
12-03-2021, 06:45 PM
ROUND 7 TEAM

North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos vs Western Bulldogs
Saturday 13 March, 5.10pm AEDT
North Hobart Oval

C: Sarah Hartwig, Ellie Blackburn, Gemma Lagioia
HF: Gabby Newton, Izzy Huntington, Brooke Lochland
R: Celine Moody, Jess Fitzgerald, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Dani Marshall, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Hannah Scott, Isabelle Pritchard, Britney Gutknecht

Emer: Bailey Hunt, Nell Morris-Dalton.

*Italicised players indicate inclusions.

Bulldog Joe
12-03-2021, 07:04 PM
ROUND 7 TEAM

North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos vs Western Bulldogs
Saturday 13 March, 5.10pm AEDT
North Hobart Oval

C: Sarah Hartwig, Ellie Blackburn, Gemma Lagioia
HF: Gabby Newton, Izzy Huntington, Brooke Lochland
R: Celine Moody, Jess Fitzgerald, Kirsty Lamb

Int: Dani Marshall, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Hannah Scott, Isabelle Pritchard, Britney Gutknecht

Emer: Bailey Hunt, Nell Morris-Dalton.

*Italicised players indicate inclusions.

So Hunt and Rennie are the outs

HOSE B ROMERO
13-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Qtr time - North lead 18-1 after a couple of late goals. Similar forward thrusts but north more dangerous.

Happy Days
13-03-2021, 06:39 PM
Cant watch at the moment but I’m assuming they had the wind?

HOSE B ROMERO
13-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Cant watch at the moment but I’m assuming they had the wind?

Wind doesn't seem to be favouring either end.

Hotdog60
13-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Can't believe the umps missed two head high and last touch with the handball and a maybe push in the back. North got the rub in the second.