PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs By the Numbers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

merantau
29-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Do you remember when you were a kid you'd know all the players numbers and would rely moreso on them than other cues to identify players - at least initially. These days there are a lot of players whose numbers I wouldn't have a clue about.

The other night I was watching some clips of Johnno making a fool of defenders and it made me think of anothet great number 6 for us - Wee Georgie Bissett - who was an absolutely loved player for us.

And then I thought of our current number 6 who is scribing a similar trajectory as the aforementioned duo.

So I invite Woofers to remember other significant/not so significant numbers sixes who have donned the RWB.

And then we could go on to number 1, number 2 and so on

Would be a trip down memory lane for me and others too I'm sure.
So, "Let's kick the can down the road." as they say in Topkeka Kansas.

1eyedog
29-01-2021, 03:23 PM
Neil of course. Had a big reputation coming over from S.A and was going to be a great player for us. Passed away last year but made a more important contribution to society than football by creating the Neil Sachse Foundation. RIP.

bornadog
29-01-2021, 03:45 PM
The great Charlie Sutton of course was number 6. Way before my time, but what I have seen and read was a tough back pocket and one of the famous to wear 6

Axe Man
29-01-2021, 04:26 PM
The great Charlie Sutton of course was number 6. Way before my time, but what I have seen and read was a tough back pocket and one of the famous to wear 6

This post has strong Eastdog vibes, are you secretly the same person BAD?

For number 6 I can't go past the gloved one Tony Campbell. Looked like he should have been a key figure in the Melbourne gangland wars with the slicked back hair. When he returned in number 21 after a few years away from the game (presumably making collections for Tony Mokbel) he just wasn't the same player.

merantau
29-01-2021, 05:55 PM

I saw Charlie played once in 1956 at the Western Oval. My only memory of him is having 2 or 3 bounces running down the EJ Smith Stand wing towards the Barkly St end. Did he retire because of injury? It seems strange to pull up stumps just a few weeks into the season.

merantau
29-01-2021, 05:58 PM
This post has strong Eastdog vibes, are you secretly the same person BAD?

For number 6 I can't go past the gloved one Tony Campbell. Looked like he should have been a key figure in the Melbourne gangland wars with the slicked back hair. When he returned in number 21 after a few years away from the game (presumably making collections for Tony Mokbel) he just wasn't the same player.

Remember Tony well but had no idea he wore number 6. He was a good player for us. Would not have looked out of place in one of Simon Minton Connel's trench coats.

Doc26
29-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Luke Dahlhaus during his prime was a fantastic contributor for us.
Incredibly courageous, came through the hard way for 154 games and a Premiership puts him right up there.

merantau
29-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Incredibly courageous, came through the hard way for 154 games and a Premiership puts him right up there.

Thanks for that. I didn't even realise he was number 6. Agree with your comment. He was a terrific player for us and I would have loved him to be a one club player.

EasternWest
30-01-2021, 07:54 AM

Not only that, really carried the hopes of the club for a while. The type of player that you went to games to watch.

It's clear that he's maybe a bit of a knob/a bit immature, but he was such a key component to our side in 2016 (and the years leading up) that he'll always deservedly be a Bulldog hero.

merantau
30-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Ok, let's kick the can down the road and take a look at #1.
The first that springs to mind is Andrew Purser. He came over from the West in about '83 I think and was a really solid performer in the ruck. Tireless and committed to the cause.

"Polly" was with us for five seasons and played 112 games. He won the B&F in 1984. A really solid performer who only missed one game through injury in five years was never suspended and never omitted.

Other number #1s? There must be plenty. I know a few more but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.

Bulldog4life
31-01-2021, 12:22 PM
Ok, let's kick the can down the road and take a look at #1.
The first that springs to mind is Andrew Purser. He came over from the West in about '83 I think and was a really solid performer in the ruck. Tireless and committed to the cause.

Other number #1s? There must be plenty. I know a few more but I'll keep my powder dry for the moment.

Best number 1 surely must be Brownlow medalist Allan "bandy legs" Hopkins. No I didn't see him play.

merantau
31-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Ken Greenwood had a 10 year VFL career from '62 to '72 playing 128 games in total - the last 74, from '67 to '72 with us. He was a solidly built ruckman but not overly tall. He wore number 1 and later I think he became a committeeman. He was a good solid player for us during some lean years.

merantau
31-01-2021, 10:02 PM
Ian "Bluey" Hampshire. I saw his entire career with us from '76 to '82. He played 111 games with us and 224 in total. He joined us from Geelong and quickly became a crowd favourite. I actually saw him bounce the ball once - a rarity for he was the archetypal "lumbering ruckman". Of course upon retirement he later coached us.

bornadog
01-02-2021, 12:01 AM
Ian "Bluey" Hampshire. I saw his entire career with us from '76 to '82. He played 111 games with us and 224 in total. He joined us from Geelong and quickly became a crowd favourite. I actually saw him bounce the ball once - a rarity for he was the archetypal "lumbering ruckman". Of course upon retirement he later coached us.

I liked bluey, he was an interesting player. I also saw him in those years. 80 to 82 was really bleak

merantau
01-02-2021, 09:42 AM
Murray Zeuschner was with us for six seasons - '62 to '67 and wore number #1 throughout. A ruckman back pocket he played 64 games. His brother Barry was a fine CHF in the VFA with Sandringham.

comrade
01-02-2021, 10:02 AM

A real shame how it ended with Dahl, he was a bright spark during a dark time for Dogs fans and an absolute warrior for us in the premiership run.

Doesn't sit right seeing him play out his days with Geelong.

Twodogs
01-02-2021, 01:31 PM

I'll never forget when he was coaching us, after his first or second game in charge, we had a huge upset win against Hawthorn. We were all out on the ground after the siren (like we did back then) celebrating and slapping backs and chanting "Red, White, Bluey!" As he disappeared down the race with the players surrounding him his first rose in the air in triumph. It was a great moment.

He bought some pride back to the club in 1983. That was the year that everything changed. We stopped just going through the motions and being happy to help be making up the numbers as a VFL club. We got some decent players on board and took some pride in our performance.

Bulldog4life
01-02-2021, 05:48 PM
Murray Zeuschner was with us for six seasons - '62 to '67 and wore number #1 throughout. A ruckman back pocket he played 64 games. His brother Barry was a fine CHF in the VFA with Sandringham.

That's right. Murray had a real awkward kicking style.

merantau
01-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Another #1 who springs to mind is Simon Minton-Connell. He had a 13 year career at Carlton, Sydney, Hawthorn and finally with us in '97 and '98. He booted 43 goals in his first season, 10 in his second - 53 goals in 25 games. Simon's hands were scared of heights so he never raised them above his head. No, his go to was the chest mark on the lead or the big leaping pack mark - always taken on the chest. He booted 350 goals in his career. A pretty decent player.

bornadog
01-02-2021, 11:33 PM
Another #1 who springs to mind is Simon Minton-Connell. He had a 13 year career at Carlton, Sydney, Hawthorn and finally with us in '97 and '98. He booted 43 goals in his first season, 10 in his second - 53 goals in 25 games. Simon's hands were scared of heights so he never raised them above his head. No, his go to was the chest mark on the lead or the big leaping pack mark - always taken on the chest. He booted 350 goals in his career. A pretty decent player.

Just a suggestion - you should start separate threads by number. maybe the the mods could move your number 1s and we can talk about each one over the years. :)

merantau
02-02-2021, 06:09 AM
Yes, good idea. I was thinking of re-naming the thread "Bulldogs By Numbers. #1" and so on down the list but don't know how. Mods please.

merantau
02-02-2021, 06:24 AM
Yes, good idea. I was thinking of re-naming the thread "Bulldogs By Numbers. #1" and so on down the list but don't know how. Mods please.

merantau
02-02-2021, 06:33 AM
John Kerr was a significant #1. He started with us in '53 and left in '58 to go to Melbourne where he played just one game. A smart rover he was BOG in our '54 Flag win. He played 81 games for us and kicked 94 goals. He only played one game for us in '58 before leaving during the season.

merantau
02-02-2021, 10:24 AM
I'll never forget when he was coaching us, after his first or second game in charge, we had a huge upset win against Hawthorn. We were all out on the ground after the siren (like we did back then) celebrating and slapping backs and chanting "Red, White, Bluey!" As he disappeared down the race with the players surrounding him his first rose in the air in triumph. It was a great moment.

He bought some pride back to the club in 1983. That was the year that everything changed. We stopped just going through the motions and being happy to help be making up the numbers as a VFL club. We got some decent players on board and took some pride in our performance.

Indeed 1982 was a bleak year. We won just three games. The nadir was a 146 point drubbing by Essendon at home in the last round. We won the wooden spoon. In '83 we finished 7th and won 10 games. So yes, Bluey helped turn the ship around.

merantau
02-02-2021, 10:31 AM

Thanks mods. You are always on the ball!

Twodogs
02-02-2021, 12:38 PM
Indeed 1982 was a bleak year. We won just three games. The nadir was a 146 point drubbing by Essendon at home in the last round. We won the wooden spoon. In '83 we finished 7th and won 10 games. So yes, Bluey helped turn the ship around.

The sponsor Eastcoast Jeans offered the players $21 000 for the end of season trip if we won our last three games against Fitzroy, St Kilda and Sydney. First game at Whitten oval against Fitzroy we were 21 points down at halftime and kicking into a gale in the third quarter. Not only that, they had 24 scoring shots to 12 and were drubbing us.

According to legend the owner of Eastcoast Jeans walked into the dressing room and threw a brown paper bag with $7000 in it on a massage table and said "this is what you're playing for. Win the game and it's all yours" I can remember Mick Conlan strolling into an open goal and Brian Cordy appearing from nowhere to drag him down just as he went to kick the ball. We were 9 points behind at 3/4 time and ran over the top of them in the last quarter.

merantau
02-02-2021, 02:45 PM
The sponsor Eastcoast Jeans offered the players $21 000 for the end of season trip if we won our last three games against Fitzroy, St Kilda and Sydney. First game at Whitten oval against Fitzroy we were 21 points down at halftime and kicking into a gale in the third quarter. Not only that, they had 24 scoring shots to 12 and were drubbing us.

According to legend the owner of Eastcoast Jeans walked into the dressing room and threw a brown paper bag with $7000 in it on a massage table and said "this is what you're playing for. Win the game and it's all yours" I can remember Mick Conlan strolling into an open goal and Brian Cordy appearing from nowhere to drag him down just as he went to kick the ball. We were 9 points behind at 3/4 time and ran over the top of them in the last quarter.

That's a great memory TD. Was Robert Percy associated with Eastcoast at the time do you recall?

Twodogs
02-02-2021, 07:49 PM
That's a great memory TD. Was Robert Percy associated with Eastcoast at the time do you recall?

From memory the guy associated with Eastcoast Jeans was Danny someone?

Newspaper article that refers to the incentive payment

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/116425738?searchTerm=Eastcoast%20Jeans%20Footscray%20footbal l%20club

merantau
04-02-2021, 05:59 AM
Justin Charles had a 9 year career with us and the Tigers for 90 games all up - 36 with us. - spread over 5 seasòns. He began as #17 but then changed to #1. He debuted in the ruck as an 18 year old. Son of Bulldog player John Charles. Also was an excellent basebaĺ player.

merantau
04-02-2021, 06:19 AM
Justin Charles had a 9 year career with us and the Tigers for 90 games all up - 36 with us. - spread over 5 seasòns. He began as #17 but then changed to #1. He debuted in the ruck as an 18 year old. Son of Bulldog player John Charles. Also was an excellent basebaĺ player. In his best season at Richmond he polled 3rd in the Brownlow.

merantau
04-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Ilija Grjic played 62 games for us between '93 and '96 and wore #1 for 3 of those seasons - 94 - 96. One of the tallest to pull on the RWB he went to West Coast for two seasons before spending his last year at Essendon.

merantau
04-02-2021, 07:52 PM
In 1999 we picked up Nicky Winmar. He played 21 games for 34 goals. In the big picture his legacy as an agent of change will be far more significant than his achievements as a player.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-02-2021, 07:54 PM
From memory the guy associated with Eastcoast Jeans was Danny someone?

Newspaper article that refers to the incentive payment

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/116425738?searchTerm=Eastcoast%20Jeans%20Footscray%20footbal l%20club

The Owner of Eastcoast was Denny Schwartz who was major sponsor for 4 years at a period in our history when sponsors were hard to come by. His parents started the business in the rag trade with a clothing shop in Hopkins Street Footscray with just one store.

merantau
04-02-2021, 08:02 PM
Farren Ray wore #1 with us for 75 games between '04 and '08. He went to St Kilda and ended up at North for his final year - 2016. He played some good footy for us. I particularly remember a very good game against Collingwood in a final at the "G".
All up he played 209 games and kicked 59 goals.

merantau
04-02-2021, 08:12 PM
Jarrod Grant played '81 games for us from '09 to '15 before spending 2 years at the Suns for a further 11. He kicked '83 goals. He was the archetypal "mercurial" talent. An enigma wrapped up in a Gordion knot he could perform freakish acts when he was "on".

merantau
04-02-2021, 08:26 PM
Matt Suckling appeared 76 times for us between '16 and '20. He kicked 34 goals and did all that was asked of him.

Twodogs
04-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Justin Charles had a 9 year career with us and the Tigers for 90 games all up - 36 with us. - spread over 5 seasòns. He began as #17 but then changed to #1. He debuted in the ruck as an 18 year old. Son of Bulldog player John Charles. Also was an excellent basebaĺ player.

John was a plumber who advertised in the local paper with a Bulldog logo so we got him in to install a stove for us. I was talking to him about his VFL footy career and the topic of Justin came up. John said "what's Justin up to these days do you know?" I told him that he was playing league football and he said "is he? I don't pay much attention to footy these days, I'm more interested in surfing"

merantau
04-02-2021, 10:17 PM
John was a plumber who advertised in the local paper with a Bulldog logo so we got him in to install a stove for us. I was talking to him about his VFL footy career and the topic of Justin came up. John said "what's Justin up to these days do you know?" I told him that he was playing league football and he said "is he? I don't pay much attention to footy these days, I'm more interested in surfing"
Wow, that is very surprising. I saw an interview with Justin recently and he spoke very positively about his relationship with his father when he was a kid.

Twodogs
04-02-2021, 10:54 PM
Wow, that is very surprising. I saw an interview with Justin recently and he spoke very positively about his relationship with his father when he was a kid.

Yeah it struck me as a very odd thing to say. That's why it stuck in my head.

merantau
05-02-2021, 08:50 AM
And so on to #2 - the great Jack Collins. I can do no better than go to Wikipedia as it gives a full run down of this marvellous player and man. So thanks to whoever did the research.

John Charles "Jack" Collins (5 January 1930 – 6 July 2008) was an Australian rules footballer who represented Footscray in the Victorian Football League (VFL).

Jack CollinsPersonal informationFull nameJohn Charles CollinsDate of birth5 January 1930Date of death6 July 2008 (aged 78)Place of deathWerribeeOriginal team(s)Yarraville Football ClubPlaying careerYearsClubGames (Goals)1950–1958Footscray154 (385)Career highlights

VFL leading goalkicker: 1954Coleman Medal: 1957VFL premiership player: 19545× Footscray leading goalkicker: 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957, 19582× Charles Sutton Medal: 1951, 1952

Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com

His father, Jim Collins, who had been the captain-coach of the Yarraville Football Club from 1918 to 1919, played 30 senior games for Essendon from 1919 to 1921.[1]

Collins was recruited to Footscray in 1950 from the Yarraville Football Club and, for the next two years, he won the club's best-and-fairest award (later designated the Charles Sutton Medal).

In 1953, Collins fronted the VFL Tribunal twice. In June he was cleared of a striking charge against South Melbourne captain Ron Clegg,[2] but later in the season was involved in an incident with Collingwood's Frank Tuck. Both players were reported following a fierce fight[3][4] and were subsequently suspended.[5][6] Collins' four-week suspension meant he would miss the finals of the 1953 VFL season in which Footscray finished third.[7]

Collins' return to the side in Round 3 the following season could not have happened sooner. One of the flag favourites, Footscray had lost their first two games to St Kilda and Richmond before they beat South Melbourne by 87 points, Collins starring with eight goals. The following week he would kick nine before half time against Carlton.[8] Collins kicked four goals in the semi-final win over Geelong and then starred in the 1954 VFL Grand Final, kicking seven goals as Footscray claimed their first premiership. Collins ended the season as the VFL Leading Goalkicker with 84 goals. He was the leading goalkicker, again, in the 1957 VFL season with a total of 74 goals.[9]

After retiring from football after 154 games and 385 goals,[10] Collins served as a players representative, then secretary, and finally president of the club. Collins was active in moves to save the Footscray Football Club when the club nearly merged with Fitzroy in 1989.[11]

Collins was a personal friend of murdered lawyer Keith William Allan, and gave evidence at each of the three trials in the Supreme Court of Victoria in which three persons were charged with Allan's murder.[12]

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 01:11 PM
I can remember when Jack Collins had the Footscray Sports Depot in Nicholson Street. I bought my first ever cricket bat there after working a few weekends with my dad painting houses. A Stuart Surridge.

merantau
05-02-2021, 01:59 PM
I can remember when Jack Collins had the Footscray Sports Depot in Nicholson Street. I bought my first ever cricket bat there after working a few weekends with my dad painting houses. A Stuart Surridge.

My first good bat was also a Stuart Surridge bought for me by my brother from Clive Fairbairn - birthday present.

I had the pleasure of watching Jack Collins play. He was an outstanding player in the air and on the ground. Had a lot of tricks and could turn defenders inside out. One of the great Bulldogs.

Mofra
05-02-2021, 02:03 PM
My mum worked there. Jack would pick me up after school sometimes, it's about the only time I ever had ice-cream as a kid. She ended up calling bingo for him to when he bought the reception centre in Barkley St

bornadog
05-02-2021, 02:14 PM
My mum worked there. Jack would pick me up after school sometimes, it's about the only time I ever had ice-cream as a kid. She ended up calling bingo for him to when he bought the reception centre in Barkley St

Love all these connections

Axe Man
05-02-2021, 02:19 PM
Collins was a personal friend of murdered lawyer Keith William Allan, and gave evidence at each of the three trials in the Supreme Court of Victoria in which three persons were charged with Allan's murder.[12]

Wowsers. Surely you've got the inside scoop on this saga Twodogs?

dadsgirl16
05-02-2021, 02:46 PM
I worked at that bingo centre in Barkly St back in the 70's..helped fund my first oversees backpacking adventure

Eastdog
05-02-2021, 03:31 PM
Mentioned it before but my Grandad worked in Footscray at the Commomwealth Bank I think for about a year. He was helping a lot of the newly settled Southern European migrants in Footscray at the time. I was in Footscray on Sunday and drove along Barkly st so probably went past that bingo centre a few woofers have mentioned.

merantau
05-02-2021, 07:02 PM

I can give you all the info on this case as I followed it closely. It was a highly unusual case as, after 3 trials, three men were convicted of murder although the body has never been found. Jack was a close friend of the murdered man.

And probably, most bizarrely of all, the murderers came unstuck due to the advanced technology employed by Mercedes Benz engineers and the acute observation of a couple of night duty cops who were cruising down Millers Rd Altona at about 3am one morning. Read about it here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/national/anatomy-of-a-suburban-hit-20040731-gdyd3f.html

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 08:19 PM

I had read about it before but I didn't know of Jack Collins' part in the trial.

The tow truck driver called William Brincat reminded me of Victor Brincat who is suspected of several of the gangland murders including Jason Moran. He was Carl Williams go to assassin.

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 08:22 PM
My first good bat was also a Stuart Surridge bought for me by my brother from Clive Fairbairn - birthday present.

I had the pleasure of watching Jack Collins play. He was an outstanding player in the air and on the ground. Had a lot of tricks and could turn defenders inside out. One of the great Bulldogs.

John Dodd was Jack's cricket bat expert from memory. He captained Footscray 3rds and 4ths for years and helped a lot of young cricketers with advice and coaching.

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 08:23 PM
Mentioned it before but my Grandad worked in Footscray at the Commomwealth Bank I think for about a year. He was helping a lot of the newly settled Southern European migrants in Footscray at the time. I was in Footscray on Sunday and drove along Barkly st so probably went past that bingo centre a few woofers have mentioned.

The bingo centre was in Paisley street.

Eastdog
05-02-2021, 08:53 PM
The bingo centre was in Paisley street.

Starts Paisley St as a one way street off Leeds St then becomes a two way street after French St.

merantau
05-02-2021, 09:10 PM
I had read about it before but I didn't know of Jack Collins' part in the trial.

The tow truck driver called William Brincat reminded me of Victor Brincat who is suspected of several of the gangland murders including Jason Moran. He was Carl Williams go to assassin.

When I was working at Sunshine North Tech in 1972 there was a kid who was always getting called up to the VP's office. But I interpreted the name I was hearing as "Vic de Brincat" as in a French or Spanish family name.
I've always wondered whether the hitman, "Victor Brincat/Brinkat" was an old Sunny North boy. Certainly he is of the right age profile.

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Jason Moran at the wrong time.

Twodogs
05-02-2021, 09:26 PM
When I was working at Sunshine North Tech in 1972 there was a kid who was always getting called up to the VP's office. But I interpreted the name I was hearing as "Vic de Brincat" as in a French or Spanish family name.
I've always wondered whether the hitman, "Victor Brincat/Brinkat" was an old Sunny North boy. Certainly he is of the right age profile.

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Hason Moran at the wrong time.

A few of those guys came from Sunshine, Veniaman, Dribo (?) and one or two others.

bornadog
05-02-2021, 09:39 PM

There is another connection too. One of the people allegedly shot by Victor B was an ex-student of mine at Essendon Tech - Pat Barbaro. Pat was a terrific kid. Good footballer, crazy Hawks supporter, great personality, full of life. Just happened to be sitting next to Hason Moran at the wrong time.

A few Barbaro's went to my old school Sunshine West High back in the 70s

merantau
06-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Our next #2 of note was Merv Hobbs who debuted in Rd 8, 1961. Standing 175cm and weighing just 67kg he was just 4 days shy of his 19th birthday on debut.
Merv never wanted to play with any team other than us so, when the League announced zoning changes that would have seen him tied to South, he packed up and headed to Daylesford in 1961. Daylesford then cleared him to us.
He was forced to retire after doing his A-C L before the opening of the '66 season. He played 74 games for us, kicked 115 goals 32 behinds so was a real sharp shooter who won our goal kicking twice. In 1962 I saw him kick 8 at the Western Oval in a game against South - not many true rovers have kicked 8 in a game.

Merv is known throughout the football world for the sesational grab he took over Trevor Johnson in the '61 Prelim at the "G". The photo actuall catches him when he was on the way down! He was higher than the late, and much loved, Joe Cocker for that grab.
Merv had a successful coaching career at Williamstown and served our club in many roles. Was pipped for the coaching job by Bob Rose, I believe.

merantau
06-02-2021, 03:54 PM
That mark!
https://images.app.goo.gl/TsePKYnUMe4HxbQs8

Bulldog4life
06-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Yes Merv was a terrific rover/forward pocket player for us. Played in the 1961 grand final changing roving duties with Keith Beamish. Both local guys. As you said merantau Hobbsy was an extremely accurate shot for goal. These days he would have not have retired so young. He was only 23.

Twodogs
06-02-2021, 07:45 PM
That mark!
https://images.app.goo.gl/TsePKYnUMe4HxbQs8

The photo was taken by a guy who was on the way to photograph a wedding and because he was running a bit early decided to stop at the MCG and try out some new equipment he'd bought through the week.

A couple of things:

Things must have been a bit more relaxed if a/ you could just decide at the last minute that you're going to "drop in" to the MCG as you drive by on prelim final day and b/ you can sit on the boundary because you've got a camera! Also what time was the wedding?

merantau
07-02-2021, 07:56 PM
The next #2 of note to pull on the RWB was Bernie Quinlan who debuted in 1969 and was cleared to Fitzroy at the end of the 1977 season. He played 177 games for us and kicked 241 goals. He was a magnificent footballer standing 193cm and weighing in at 97kgs. He could literally do anything on the football field. He starred at Fitzroy playing 189 games and kicking 576 goals He retired at end of season '86 having played 366 games and kicking 817 . He won the Brownlow in '81 and twice kicked 100 goals - in '83 and '84.

It is a little painful recounting his achievements as he really came into his own at Fitzroy. In my time his loss to Fitzroy has been one of my biggest disappointments. It coincided with much wider and better TV coverage so most of his highlight packages are of him playing for the Roys. He was a sensational player in every aspect of the game - a match winner. Oh, and he could kick the ball a bit.

Twodogs
07-02-2021, 08:39 PM
My memory of Bernie at Footscray is an unusual mark he took at fullback. He was standing behind the goalpost and took the mark with his arms wrapped around it. That and my dad would always say "Bernie's on" if he got a kick early in the game.

He should be an in demand kicking coach. He could teach a few players how to kick the ball properly.

bornadog
07-02-2021, 11:45 PM
Another notable number two of the past who I never saw was Alan Hopkins, who got a retrospective Brownlow.

Hopkins is also a legend in our hall of fame.

jeemak
08-02-2021, 03:49 AM
You have to be a bit of a freak winning a Brownlow twelve years after you've debuted and winning a Coleman in each of your fourteenth and fifteenth seasons kicking over 100 in each.

merantau
08-02-2021, 05:42 AM
You have to be a bit of a freak winning a Brownlow twelve years after you've debuted and winning a Coleman in each of your fourteenth and fifteenth seasons kicking over 100 in each.
You are so right Jeemak. It is with a heavy heÃ*rt that I post these highlights. He makes G Ablett Snr look pedestrian.

https://youtu.be/VPZnIIGK9xg

merantau
08-02-2021, 05:56 AM
I know he's not a #2 and I know he's not a Bulldog, but this clip from YouTube appeared on the same page as Bernie's and I just couldn't ignore it. This bloke could play.

https://youtu.be/X4ayD0PkZmg

merantau
08-02-2021, 07:35 AM
Seasons '79 - '81 saw #2 donned by the imposing figure of Shane Loveless a 6'5" behemoth recruited from Sale. He only played 28 games but booted 72 goals. I saw him kick 8 against Hawthorn at the Western Oval.
When we recruited Simon Beasley, Shane found playing Reserves was not to his liking so he went back to country football. All up he played for 16 clubs retiring at 46 after kicking over 2000 goals. A pretty solid effort. He was a big boy.

merantau
08-02-2021, 08:43 AM
Our next #2 of note was Jim Sewell who played 76 times between '83 to '86 and kicked 62 goals. He played 7 years at East Fremantle and was CHF in their 1979 Premiership team. He originally played with us as a defender but soon found himself in the forward line where he became a solid contributor.

merantau
08-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Richard Cousins joined us in '87 from Central Districts and played 60 games for 21 goals. He played originally at CHF but when Andrew Purser retired he became our number 1 ruckman

merantau
08-02-2021, 09:11 AM
Starting in 1990, Keenan Reynolds wore #2 for 74 games in 5 seasons. He was a solid defender who kicked the the ball long and was good in the air. He was also thrown forward when the need arose. He went to North Melbourne for two years before retiring.

merantau
08-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Season 1987 saw one of my favourite players debut - Steve, "Billy the Kid", Kolyniuk. He originally wore #59, then #21 before taking on #2 for the last 5 or 6 years of his 177 game 198 goal career. He was forced to retire due to chronic injury problems. He was an exciting player who created nightmares for defenders with his pace, balance and "hard at it"attitude.
This article bears testament to his quality - a real Warrior of the West.

The day ‘Bill the Kid’ made his Bulldog debut… https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/91358/the-day-bill-the-kid-made-his-bulldog-debut

Bulldog4life
08-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Another notable number two of the past who I never saw was Alan Hopkins, who got a retrospective Brownlow.

Sorry BAD Hopkins was number one. I posted it for the number ones

Bulldog4life
08-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Sorry BAD Hopkins was number one. I posted it for the number ones

Just saw Hopkins played in number 2 also BAD. Cheers.

merantau
08-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Billy the Kid turns on the after burners. I've posted this clip before and I soppose most, if not all, have seen it live or or the web. But, like a good wine, it just gets ...

https://youtu.be/qrCBGfn-WFw

bornadog
08-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Just saw Hopkins played in number 2 also BAD. Cheers.

Played in the number 2 for 28 games then switched to number 1.

Twodogs
08-02-2021, 01:49 PM
Played in the number 2 for 28 games then switched to number 1.

Took number 1 when he became captain and kept it as playing coach. Interestingly even though he was playing coach he was never actually captain coach. Somebody else was captain when Hopkins was playing and coaching us.

Jeanette54
08-02-2021, 04:31 PM

My Grandfather did see Alan Hopkins play, and always believed that he was far and away the best Bulldog of them all.

bornadog
08-02-2021, 05:50 PM
My Grandfather did see Alan Hopkins play, and always believed that he was far and away the best Bulldog of them all.

Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1924. Almost 100 years ago now.

I think B4L saw those premierships live :D:D:D

merantau
08-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Our last #2 of note is, of course, Bob Murphy who debuted as an 18 yr old wearing #22 in season 2000. He inherited #2 upon the retirement of Steve Kolyniuk at the end of season 2000. Bob played 312 games and kicked 183 goals. He was a champion player. He had brilliant skills on both sides of the body and played some his best football at half forward which, bearing in mind his size, is testament to his outstanding ability. Creative and dashing off half back he will always be a beloved Son of the West. His role as Captain Inspiration in 2016 has been well documented. Truly an exceptional Bulldog.

merantau
08-02-2021, 06:46 PM
That concludes the rundown of the significant players who have worn #2 for us since I can remember and a few contributors have provided information re famous players from yesteryear too. So thanks for that. And next we will look at #3 beginning with you know who - the biggest name in football - Mr Football himself - the incomparable EJ Whitten.

Twodogs
08-02-2021, 07:08 PM
Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

Alan grew up across the road from the ground and kicked 7 goals on debut. His dad Con also played with Footscray.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-02-2021, 08:28 PM
That concludes the rundown of the significant players who have worn #2 for us since I can remember and a few contributors have provided information re famous players from yesteryear too. So thanks for that. And next we will look at #3 beginning with you know who - the biggest name in football - Mr Football himself - the incomparable EJ Whitten.

EJ inherited the number 3 from Arthur Olliver who was the Club’s record games holder before Ted Whitten, being Captain/ Coach of the Bulldogs for a number of years in the ‘40’s. Olliver went on to successfully coach in both Tasmania and WA. His son Jim served on our Board for a number of years in the 1980’s.

merantau
09-02-2021, 10:41 AM
And so on to #3 - Mr Football, Ted Whitten. As a kidd who began attending matches in 1956 its fair to say we didn't have much success; they were lean years indeed. But, we had Ted Whitten and the others didn't.
He was without doubt the best player I have ever seen. 321 games, 360 goals in 20 seasons. He debuted in Rd 1 season 1951, as a 17 yr old He kicked a goal with his first kick and got knocked out by a 28 yr old Mopsy Fraser in the 3rd quarter. Ted would later say that Fraser did him a favour by showing him that side of football early.
Ted won four Best and Fairest trophies in 1950 - for Braybrook U/17s and the FDL comp and for Collingwood Amatures and the Sunday Amature competition where he was playing against tough hardened men from teams like Miller's Rope Works and Montague.
His coach at the Amateurs encouraged him to try out for Collingwood but they thought Ted was too frail. Sad isn't it?
So on to the Bulldogs from where he never looked back. He starred at centre half back in our 1954 Premiership win and was appointed Captain Coach in 1957. He took us to the '61 Grand Final - a very fine achievement. It was a very hot day. Hawthorn had enjoyed a week off and were in great physical shape anyway due to John Kennedy's insistence on strength and aerobic fitness. We led by nine points at half time but got over run in the second half. Keith Beamish our second rover was carried off just before half time. It was a tough day at the footy and a big let down after a great win against flag favourites, Melbourne, in the Prelim. Melbourne were going for the 7th consecutive Grand Final appearance.
Ted could play anywhere and could do anything. Great all round skills, fast , tough, creative and fiercely competitive. He was named captain of the VFL/AFL Team of the Century. That says it all. Legend of the game. Legend of the West.

Ozza
09-02-2021, 11:54 AM
#3 Chris Grant was my hero from when he debuted in 1990 and I was either 6 or 7 years old watching his first game, until he retired when I 24. Started out at #29 before taking #3 from the departed Adrian Campbell (who won our goal kicking in 1989 with 21 goals).

Grant was the best bulldog I have seen, although I think at the end of Bont's career I will have revised that.

Mofra
09-02-2021, 12:17 PM
#3 Chris Grant was my hero from when he debuted in 1990 and I was either 6 or 7 years old watching his first game, until he retired when I 24. Started out at #29 before taking #3 from the departed Adrian Campbell (who won our goal kicking in 1989 with 21 goals).

Grant was the best bulldog I have seen, although I think at the end of Bont's career I will have revised that.
Campbell and Grant would have been a spectacular KPF pairing if Campbell didn't have that horrific knee injury.
Multiple ligaments and just never moved the same way again

Twodogs
09-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Campbell and Grant would have been a spectacular KPF pairing if Campbell didn't have that horrific knee injury.
Multiple ligaments and just never moved the same way again

The surgeon at Monash Medical centre said the trauma to Campbell's knee was as bad as if it was the result of a motorbike accident. I think at first the triaging nurse may even assumed that he'd been in a motorbike accident.

GVGjr
09-02-2021, 01:14 PM
Was Peter Featherby #3? What a player he was. I think he had over 50 possessions a couple of times for us

bornadog
09-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Was Peter Featherby #3? What a player he was. I think he had over 50 possessions a couple of times for us

Peter was #5

Axe Man
09-02-2021, 02:06 PM
Arthur Oliver and Chris Grant both started in #29 before playing the majority of their games in #3.

Between EJ, Grant and Oliver there have been plenty of goals kicked by the bulldogs #3. Mitch Wallis recently joining them with a three figure career tally.

merantau
09-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Here's a clip of Ted back in the day.

https://youtu.be/hdUtStWne1U

merantau
09-02-2021, 02:42 PM
The next player to wear #3 was Alan Stoneham. He was from Braybrook but played his junior football with VFA club Sunshine. He debuted wearing #3 in 1972 and spent seven years with us racking up 128 games and booting 42 goals. He played mainly in the centre. He went to Essendon for four seasons playing mainly as a defender. He ended up playing exactly 200 games.

merantau
09-02-2021, 05:34 PM

Here's another piece on Ted and Jack Dyer.

https://youtu.be/oLEKCpl4nDo

merantau
09-02-2021, 06:02 PM
In 1983 Mark Kellett arrived at the Dogs from St Kilda and stayed for 4 years before heading to Sydney.
Playing off half-back he had a lot of attacking dash and one of the best "Don't argues" going around. All up he played 63 games in the #3 jumper

merantau
09-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Adrian Campbell arrived at the Western Oval in 1988. He was a very talented player - but was cruelled by injury. He missed all of 1991 with massive knee ligament damage. All up he played 30 games and kicked 31 goals. Over the years we have had some terrible misfortune with injuries to star players and promising youngsters. Adrian spent 1993 at Melbourne but could not shake the injury woes which led to his retirement. Very sad way to go.

Twodogs
09-02-2021, 06:36 PM

Love the huge torps!

merantau
09-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Love the huge torps!

Me too! That one at Moorabbin got picked up on the airport radar!

merantau
09-02-2021, 08:59 PM
1990 saw the debut of one of the greatest Bulldogs of all time - 17 year old Chris Grant. Has there ever been a better Pick 105 in the National Draft? For his first four years he wore #29 but then inherited #3 which he wore for the rest of his 18 year 341 game career in which he booted 551goals.
He showed his brilliance from the off becoming the youngest player to boot 50 goals which he did it his first season. He was just such a brilliant player. A powerful, fast-moving forward he was a brilliant pack mark and he had outstanding ground skills. He was outstanding at CHB when switched to that position.
In 1997 he was denied a Brownlow Medal by the intervention of the Director of Football Operations, Carlton's Ian Collins. who overruled the field umpires and insisted thst Grant be charged with striking as, while attempting to spoil a mark, he made high contact with Hawthorn's Nick Holland. Chris polled 27 votes, one more than Robert Harvey. Chris received a one match suspension.
This is a travesty when you consider that Chris had never been reported and was a player who was continually scragged and tagged by opposition players.
I would really like the Club to launch a campaign to have the intervention by Collins to be investigated. It was up to that point - and subsequently as far Ã*s I am aware - an unprecedented interference by an official. Collins had had a lifetime association with a Club, Carlton, who had been desperate to recruit Chris but whose inducements had failed to sway Chris away from his rock solid loyalty to our club
A great player, a great man and a great servant of our club.

Twodogs
10-02-2021, 01:37 AM
I was standing in the outer at Whitten oval with a mate in '93 or '94 at the Geelong Rd end. A pack firmed in front of us and 7 or 8 players were falling over one other trying to pick the ball up and dropping it and scragging each other. Chris arrived from nowhere and ran through the middle of the pack. While the ball bounced off the ground and up into his hands he pirouetted past three opponents grabbing at thin air then snapped a goal over his shoulder from the dead pocket.

I looked at my mate and he laughed and said "we've got at least another decade of watching him do that"

jeemak
10-02-2021, 02:04 AM
I've said here many a time that Chris Grant is probably the most underrated footballer of his era - and many other eras. These are some of his best goals, but I can remember a few others that aren't captured that were just as good if not better (i.e, the one at Waverley where he was running directly towards the pocket at full bore and snapped the straightest kick ever across his body for a goal that never looked like missing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLGXQMPY75w

None of the goals are anything but sublime, whether it be skill or determination. If he had have led us to the 97 flag his legacy would be so much more respected than it is.

FrediKanoute
10-02-2021, 03:05 AM
That brought back memories.

merantau
10-02-2021, 07:02 AM
I've said here many a time that Chris Grant is probably the most underrated footballer of his era - and many other eras. These are some of his best goals, but I can remember a few others that aren't captured that were just as good if not better (i.e, the one at Waverley where he was running directly towards the pocket at full bore and snapped the straightest kick ever across his body for a goal that never looked like missing).

None of the goals are anything but sublime, whether it be skill or determination. If he had have led us to the 97 flag his legacy would be so much more respected than it is.

Thanks for posting this reminder of what a fantastic player he was. Supreme skills on show.

EasternWest
10-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Incredible that a player so highly regarded was also underrated. Just never seems to get the kudos he deserved. A superstar player and a folk hero, he's the best Bulldog player I've ever seen.

And he's a nice guy too.

Happy Days
10-02-2021, 10:06 AM
That goal against West Coast is absolute filth.

bornadog
10-02-2021, 10:14 AM
Incredible that a player so highly regarded was also underrated. Just never seems to get the kudos he deserved. A superstar player and a folk hero, he's the best Bulldog player I've ever seen.

And he's a nice guy too.

One of my all time favourites as well. Looked forward to watching him every week.

merantau
10-02-2021, 10:30 AM
I had not seen this interview Mike Sheahan with Chris before. Worth a look. It's in 2 parts.
https://youtu.be/N-KwfgFBmds

Part 2

https://youtu.be/86yutNofQFg

Bulldog4life
10-02-2021, 01:09 PM

I used to love his watching his huge torps. Going for goal too.

Bulldog4life
10-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Apparently Alan also played in the VFA premiership terams in 1923 and 1925. Almost 100 years ago now.

I remember that. We went together.

Twodogs
10-02-2021, 01:48 PM

#3 against North at the MCG was in a late season game when neither North or us had anything to play for. But there's always something to play for against North. We led by 8 goals at halftime (I think we'd even scored 100 points in the first half) but Noth roared back and kicked the first 6 or 7 in the third quarter and our bums were getting squeaky until Chris kicked that one. We were never going to lose from then.

merantau
10-02-2021, 05:35 PM
#3 against North at the MCG was in a late season game when neither North or us had anything to play for. But there's always something to play for against North. We led by 8 goals at halftime (I think we'd even scored 100 points in the first half) but Noth roared back and kicked the first 6 or 7 in the third quarter and our bums were getting squeaky until Chris kicked that one. We were never going to lose from then.

He made Glenn Archer look like a novice. Supreme, instinctual movement, vision and timing. You can teach that up to a point but only the most gifted can make it look like a walk in the park. Pure footballing magic.
I remember listening to some Welsh rugby greats, talking about side stepping and They said, "Side stepping is a natural gift. You can be taught how to do it ... but you can never be taught when to sidestep."
Substitute blind turn for sidestep.

https://youtu.be/cufDi1hjADE

bornadog
10-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Chris Grant Brownlow year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSYuDO3KNXo&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

merantau
10-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Absolutely Brownlow year. What a player. Thanks for sharing BAD. Never get sick of watching sublime skill.

merantau
10-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Season 2007 saw the arrival of Andrejs Everitt. He wore #29 in his first year but wore #3 between '08 and '10. He played 36 games for us. Had lots of ability but never cemented his place in the team. He then had three years at Sydney and finally 3 years at Carlton where he played his most consistent football. All up 131 games over ten years. Booted 91 goals.

bornadog
11-02-2021, 12:03 AM
Everitt had lots of potential but didn't have passion for the game. With his talent he should have been better than he was.

jeemak
11-02-2021, 03:25 AM
He made Glenn Archer look like a novice. Supreme, instinctual movement, vision and timing. You can teach that up to a point but only the most gifted can make it look like a walk in the park. Pure footballing magic.
I remember listening to some Welsh rugby greats, talking about side stepping and They said, "Side stepping is a natural gift. You can be taught how to do it ... but you can never be taught when to sidestep."
Substitute blind turn for sidestep.

https://youtu.be/cufDi1hjADE

I'm pretty sure you must be mistaken, because Glenn Archer is the Shiboner of the Century and you have to be the most amazing person in the world to be Shinboner of the Century (sorry if you're reading Rosco, I'm just having some fun)!

jeemak
11-02-2021, 03:26 AM
Chris Grant Brownlow year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSYuDO3KNXo&ab_channel=ALsHighlights

Yeah I was going to post that instead of the top goals! Amazing year. While the highlights say a lot - showing his ground ball, aerial and kicking prowess - no videos ever seem to give the context of just how influential he was compared to being at the game watching him.

merantau
11-02-2021, 06:23 AM
Everitt had lots of potential but didn't have passion for the game. With his talent he should have been better than he was.

Yes, there had to be some explanation - a poor man's Nathan Ablett.

Axe Man
11-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Yes, there had to be some explanation - a poor man's Nathan Ablett.

I played footy with Nathan a few years ago, he just wasn't much good. Not sure how he managed to do as well as he did early in his career.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Ted was a great player. The best for mine. I saw over half his career and just loved going to the footy just to see him play. He could play any position on the ground from the backline, the forward line and ruck rover. The ground were often muddy but that never stopped Ted's skills including kicking those torps for goal. His drop kicking was sublime too covering 65 metres plus regularly. As well as being the best player in the league he also was the team enforcer. Elbows, forearms it didn't matter but it was always in front of the umpire never behind the play. We had such a young team in those days and Ted looked after the youngsters. These day he would be rubbed out constantly but footy was different then. I am sure Ted would have been a champion whatever era he played in.

merantau
11-02-2021, 11:41 AM
I played footy with Nathan a few years ago, he just wasn't much good. Not sure how he managed to do as well as he did early in his career.

Maybe he was a bit like Crazy Horse who, when Barassi got stuck into him with, "What's wrong with you Cowton? Are you ignorant or just plain apathetic?"
To which Crazy replied: "I don't know and I don't care."

Ron's response to that has not been recorded as far as I know.

merantau
11-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Season 2021 will see our current #3, Mitch Wallis, run out to begin his 11th season. 151 games and 101 goals to date.
Playing for the Club he's loved since he could first stand up - the Club that Dad, Steve, served with distinction both on and off the field, I think it's fair to say Mitch is a much loved player. He played a lot of his early football in the midfield but has now developed into a very effective small forward. Excellent on the lead, strong in one on ones, accurate and can kick a clutch goal he loves the Club and it shows when he plays.
It takes a special person to come back from a horrendous leg injury - and Mitch is that person.

Twodogs
11-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Ted was a great player. The best for mine. I saw over half his career and just loved going to the footy just to see him play. He could play any position on the ground from the backline, the forward line and ruck rover. The ground were often muddy but that never stopped Ted's skills including kicking those torps for goal. His drop kicking was sublime too covering 65 metres plus regularly. As well as being the best player in the league he also was the team enforcer. Elbows, forearms it didn't matter but it was always in front of the umpire never behind the play. We had such a young team in those days and Ted looked after the youngsters. These day he would be rubbed out constantly but footy was different then. I am sure Ted would have been a champion whatever era he played in.

When I was a kid Ted kicked the footy to me whike I was watching training and kicking it with my mates. Bloody thing came at me like a tracer bullet and knocked me off my feet.

Maybe he was a bit like Crazy Horse who, when Barassi got stuck into him with, "What's wrong with you Cowton? Are you ignorant or just plain apathetic?"
To which Crazy replied: "I don't know and I don't care."

Ron's response to that has not been recorded as far as I know.

Alan Jeans got stuck into a kickless Rod Galt at halftime once "I need more effort from you in the second half Rod" Galt said "you'll get it Yab. I wasn't really trying in the first half" He didn't play in the second half.

merantau
11-02-2021, 07:48 PM
True Confessions didn't go down well with Yabby, it seems.

merantau
11-02-2021, 08:07 PM
And so on to #4. Bob Ware, son of Brownlow Medalist Norm, had five seasons with us from '59 to '63. He played 65 games and booted 40 goals. A big, solid player he played second rucķ to John Schultz. He started in the back pocket in our '61 GF team. He sometimes played forward too and bagged 5 goals on one occasion.

merantau
11-02-2021, 08:18 PM
Peter Welsh had an 11 year career from 1968 to 1978 playing 165 games and kicking 92 goals. He played in the ruck, in defence and up forward. A very versatile player.

merantau
11-02-2021, 08:38 PM
1985 saw the arrival of big name player Brad Hardie from South Fremantle. He won the Brownlow in his first season with us. The way he played was a revelation. Very attacking out of defence he loved to snag a goal and booted 28 in his 45 games with us spread over two seasons. My mate was very dirty on him as in the '85 Prelim Leigh Mathews came on in the last quarter and booted two goals when Hardie was supposed to be on him.
Hardie went to Brisbane in '87 and won the goal kicking there. He later played for Collingwood. Famous incident with Mick Malthouse.

Twodogs
11-02-2021, 10:57 PM
True Confessions didn't go down well with Yabby, it seems.

Alan Jeans would have been the last bloke I'd say something like that to. Especially if I was wanting to play in the second half.

1985 saw the arrival of big name player Brad Hardie from South Fremantle. He won the Brownlow in his first season with us. The way he played was a revelation. Very attacking out of defence he loved to snag a goal and booted 28 in his 45 games with us spread over two seasons. My mate was very dirty on him as in the '85 Prelim Leigh Mathews came on in the last quarter and booted two goals when Hardie was supposed to be on him.
Hardie went to Brisbane in '87 and won the goal kicking there. He later played for Collingwood. Famous incident with Mick Malthouse.

When he went to Collingwood he was originally going to return to us. The AFL discovered that we had payed him an illegal inducement outside the salary cap (from memory we were paying his partner to work as a receptionist but she wasn't doing any work) and they barred him from playing with us for 5 years.

merantau
12-02-2021, 04:59 PM
Here's a link to some famous coach/player fallouts beginning with Malthouse/Hardie.

I recommend you check out the spray Barass dishes out to North players. Pretty intense. "Why not say what you mean, Ron?"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/28/the-joy-of-six-afl-player-coach-feuds

merantau
12-02-2021, 05:15 PM
Speaking of intense - don't know who, don't know when or where or what club - this bloke knows how to amp it up. Stumbled upon him while searching "Hardie/Malthouse".

https://youtu.be/VjptiDnFy7A
0:00

merantau
12-02-2021, 05:32 PM
Our next #4 of note was Nigel Kellett who had a 9 year career with us, played 101 games and booted 41 goals. He came to us from Hopper's Crossing FC in 1989 and stayed until 1997. He wore #48 in his first two seasons.
Used mainly as a wingman he had a ton of pace and kicked the ball well.

merantau
12-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Season 1998 saw the arrival of our next significant #4 Simom Garlick. Simon began at Sydney in '94 and played 44 games in four seasons with them booting 27 majors.
He arrived at the Bulldogs in '98 and was with us for seven seasons playing 137 games and booting 114 goals as a small pressure forward. An excellent pick up for us.
Simon served as our CEO for four years beginning in 2010. He is now CEO at the Dockers.

https://youtu.be/sZG79xCRQrE

merantau
12-02-2021, 06:08 PM
Season 2002 saw the arrival of Daniel Cross, selected at pick 56 in the draft. It took him some three years to establish himself in the team but thereafter he carved out a great career winning the B&F in 2008 and appearing in the B&F Top Ten on 10 occasions.

All up he played 210 games for us and 39 at Melbourne where he spent his last two years. We should not have let him go in the opinion of many.
I can do no better to refer you to the Wickipedia write up on Daniel and thank those who did the research. He was a tremendously brave player and this was recognised by his peers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Cross_(footballer)

https://youtu.be/mzGSJsCHxb4

merantau
12-02-2021, 08:00 PM
And now we come to our current #4, our champion skipper who since debuting in 2014 has racked up 145 games.
His career to date has been one of the highest quality. He is a quality person too and it would be totally fitting for him to become our next Premiership Captain. Go Dogs!

https://youtu.be/deQxASfn1MU

bornadog
12-02-2021, 10:07 PM
Thanks merantau, loving reading these.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-02-2021, 10:33 PM
And so on to #4. Bob Ware, son of Brownlow Medalist Norm, had five seasons with us from '59 to '63. He played 65 games and booted 40 goals. A big, solid player he played second rucķ to John Schultz. He started in the back pocket in our '61 GF team. He sometimes played forward too and bagged 5 goals on one occasion.

Bob Ware was in fact the nephew of Norman Ware. Bob’s father was Walter Ware who was Norm’s brother who played 63 games with Hawthorn.

merantau
12-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Bob Ware was in fact the nephew of Norman Ware. Bob’s father was Walter Ware who was Norm’s brother who played 63 games with Hawthorn.

Thanks for that correction. I have been labouring under that misapprehension for 60 years! I do remember he got four weeks for striking in '60 or '61but have no idea about the circumstances. I think he was the first Bulldog player I can recall being suspended.

merantau
12-02-2021, 11:22 PM
And so on to #5. Peter Box, educated at Wesley College, came to us via the Cheltenham FC in 1951. Standing 180cm and weighing 79kg he developed into a brilliant centreman after missing the entire '52 season due to injury suffered in a car accident.

He played CHF in our '54 Flag win, won the B&F in '55 and the Brownlow in '56 but I think Don Ross won our B&F that year.
In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26.

I heard from a friend of mine, and another source, that Peter became a recluse later in life. My friend met him down in the Inverleigh area when he was shearing. Peter was in the sheds but he kept to himself. I understand he had little to do with the Club once his playing days were done. Seems a strange combination- Wesley College, Brownlow Medalist, shearer.
Peter played 107 games for us and will always be remembered as a champion of the Club. He passed away in 2018, aged 86.

merantau
12-02-2021, 11:39 PM

By the time we finish this thread we'll have a potted history of every player of significance over the last 70 years. I'm in for the long haul!

merantau
13-02-2021, 04:24 AM
Ian Bryant had a ten year career with us from 1960 to 1969. Heplayed 160 games, represented the Vics in 1966 and won All Australian honours. He played on the wing in our 1961 centre line alongside Alex Gardiner and Bob Spargo, the best centreline we assembled in the era of positional football.
Ian stood 5'10" and weighed 74kg but he looked a lot bigger. He was broard shouldered and a tough, straight ahead type with clean hands. He was a magnificent drop kick and often represented the Club on WOS's Champion Kick. He was an excellent player

EasternWest
13-02-2021, 08:50 AM

Seconded, these are awesome.

I can't wait until we get to #22 ;).

bornadog
13-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Seconded, these are awesome.

I can't wait until we get to #22 ;).

Mark Cullen, didn't know you enjoyed watching him:D

merantau
13-02-2021, 11:27 AM
Although he only wore #5 for one season with us - 1972 - any discussion of significant Bulldogs players would be remiss without a recount of the career of Robert "Bones McGhie".
His junior football club was Tottenham Technical School which, owing to the dedication of teachers and parents, entered a team in the FDL. They were defeated by one point by Braybrook in the 1966 GF.
Robbie arrived at the Dogs in 1969 and debuted as a tough, tatt emblazoned, defender who played close and kicked the ball long. Sideboards and a bit of a mullet rounded him out as one tough-looking hombre.
He wore #40 from '69 - 71 and #5 in '72. He left at the end of the season after an altercation with the Club President, I believe.

Robbie spent the next six years at Richmond and played in their '73 and '74 Premierships. He then returned to us in 1979 for 12 games wearing #24. Next he spent two years at South playing 16 games wearing #1 and #4

All up "Bones" played 4 stints for 3 Clubs over thirteen seasons. He racked up 146 games (49 with us) in his colourful, eventful career. He was appointed coach of VFA club Sunshine when they were trying to re-establish but the Association rejected their application.
Robbie went on to coach St Albans in the FDL which eventually became the Western Region Football League, I believe.
If you know more please contribute/correct as needed.

EasternWest
13-02-2021, 02:23 PM
Mark Cullen, didn't know you enjoyed watching him:D

You've been talking to Matt Paulding.

I went to school with Mark. Nice guy.

Maybe disregard because this could just have been the most random coincidence ever - I was just talking about Mark the other day (with Matt, obviously).

bornadog
13-02-2021, 02:49 PM
You've been talking to Matt Paulding.

I went to school with Mark. Nice guy.

Maybe disregard because this could just have been the most random coincidence ever - I was just talking about Mark the other day (with Matt, obviously).

It is random EW. When I see the 22, I think of a blonde headed Mark.

PS: Who is Matt Paulding?

merantau
13-02-2021, 03:17 PM
And so on to #5. Peter Box, educated at Wesley College, came to us via the Cheltenham FC in 1951. Standing 180cm and weighing 79kg he developed into a brilliant centreman after missing the entire '52 season due to injury suffered in a car accident.

He played CHF in our '54 Flag win, won the B&F in '55 and the Brownlow in '56 but I think Don Ross won our B&F that year.
In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26.

I heard from a friend of mine, and another source, that Peter became a recluse later in life. My friend met him down in the Inverleigh area when he was shearing. Peter was in the sheds but he kept to himself. I understand he had little to do with the Club once his playing days were done. Seems a strange combination- Wesley College, Brownlow Medalist, shearer.
Peter played 107 games for us and will always be remembered as a champion of the Club. He passed away in 2018, aged 86.

Something else I failed to mention about Peter Box. He represented Australia at the 1956 Olympics in a demonstration baseball game against the USA.

EasternWest
13-02-2021, 04:18 PM
It is random EW. When I see the 22, I think of a blonde headed Mark.

PS: Who is Matt Paulding?

Ha ha nobody just a guy from my work that I was talking to about Mark Cullen - but we're not even taking about the same Mark Cullen.

Mark Cullen that went to my school was rookie listed by Carlton.

I need to have a lie down.

merantau
13-02-2021, 06:02 PM
"In 1958 Peter left to Captain Camberwell in the VFA. He won the B&F and then retired from football at age 26"

I am wrong about this. He went shearing up in the Riverina. Here's a clip about his time with Narrandera Imperials.

https://www.nswfootballhistory.com.au/tag/peter-box/

Twodogs
13-02-2021, 06:30 PM

Motorbike accident.

There is a story about Peter Box's departure from the club I've heard from a couple of people. He felt slighted about something that happened that doesn't exactly reflect well on a club legend and he went to the club president and said something along the lines of "I'm not playing with him anymore. Either he goes or I go" the answer he got was "sorry you feel that way Peter, but it's going to be you. We aren't going to sack him"

jeemak
13-02-2021, 08:45 PM
Something else I failed to mention about Peter Box. He represented Australia at the 1956 Olympics in a demonstration baseball game against the USA.

Not good enough, I think you better start the thread again just to make sure you haven't missed any other details! ;)

Keep up the good work mate, really enjoying this one.

jeemak
13-02-2021, 08:47 PM
Motorbike accident.

There is a story about Peter Box's departure from the club I've heard from a couple of people. He felt slighted about something that happened that doesn't exactly reflect well on a club legend and he went to the club president and said something along the lines of "I'm not playing with him anymore. Either he goes or I go" the answer he got was "sorry you feel that way Peter, but it's going to be you. We aren't going to sack him"

Out with it.

merantau
13-02-2021, 09:12 PM
Peter Featherby arrived from Subiaco in 1975 and appeared in 42 games over 2 seasons in the #5 jersey. He played in the centre and was the ball magnet's ball magnet.
His disposal effectiveness let him down somewhat. In a masterful example of 'damning with faint praise' Jack Dyer once commented that "Featherby's great value lies in the fact that when he's got the ball the opposition hasn't."
He went back to Subiaco for 2 years then went to Geelong where he was much more successful winning their B&F in 1981 and playing 93 games in 5 years.

He returned to Subiaco in 1984 and played for another 5 years finally hanging up his boots when Subi won the 1988 Premiership - his 3rd with the Club. All up he played 332 games of top level football and kicked 271 goals in an 18 year career.

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 12:28 AM
Out with it.

I've said enough. Just out two and two together and you'll get there.

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 12:31 AM
Although he only wore #5 for one season with us - 1972 - any discussion of significant Bulldogs players would be remiss without a recount of the career of Robert "Bones McGhie".
His junior football club was Tottenham Technical School which, owing to the dedication of teachers and parents, entered a team in the FDL. They were defeated by one point by Braybrook in the 1966 GF.
Robbie arrived at the Dogs in 1969 and debuted as a tough, tatt emblazoned, defender who played close and kicked the ball long. Sideboards and a bit of a mullet rounded him out as one tough-looking hombre.
He wore #40 from '69 - 71 and #5 in '72. He left at the end of the season after an altercation with the Club President, I believe.

Robbie spent the next six years at Richmond and played in their '73 and '74 Premierships. He then returned to us in 1979 for 12 games wearing #24. Next he spent two years at South playing 16 games wearing #1 and #4

All up "Bones" played 4 stints for 3 Clubs over thirteen seasons. He racked up 146 games (49 with us) in his colourful, eventful career. He was appointed coach of VFA club Sunshine when they were trying to re-establish but the Association rejected their application.
Robbie went on to coach St Albans in the FDL which eventually became the Western Region Football League, I believe.

McGhie was sacked by the club after hitting a woman during a club trip to Adelaide. From memory he was remanded for a night or two by the SA police before the club bailed him out.

jeemak
14-02-2021, 01:15 AM
I've said enough. Just out two and two together and you'll get there.

I don't accept this.

merantau
14-02-2021, 09:59 AM
Our next #5 was Bruce Reid. He was recruited from Sandhurst in the Bendigo League and played 86 games between '77 and '82 before going to Carlton for 3 years. He played mainly as a defender. Standing 6'4" and weighing 96kgs he was very athletics and could take a turn in the ruck.

merantau
14-02-2021, 10:42 AM
Ian Williams arrived from Swan Districts in 1983 and stayed for 3 seasons playing 33 games and booting 45 goals. He had a lot of tricks and in his first season booted 31 goals including the match winner in a come from behind win at Moorabbin.
He only played 3 games in 1985 and I think he went back to the West.
Alan Daniels took over #5 in 1986 for one year. He also headed back West.

bornadog
14-02-2021, 10:51 AM
Ian Williams arrived from Swan Districts in 1983 and stayed for 3 seasons playing 33 games and booting 45 goals. He had a lot of tricks and in his first season booted 31 goals including the match winner in a come from behind win at Moorabbin.
He only played 3 games in 1985 and I think he went back to the West.
Alan Daniels took over #5 in 1986 for one year. He also headed back West.

Allen played in 1985 as I remember him in the finals, but can't remember if he wore 5 that year.

Edit, Just looked it up he wore 11 in 1985.

bornadog
14-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Another #5 is Ian Bryant played 160 games with 136 games in the number 5, during the 60s and was a handy player. Also played in the 1961 Grandfinal, mainly backpocket and wing. Finished 9th in the 1966 Brownlow and played for Victoria and rewarded with AA.

Bulldog4life
14-02-2021, 11:46 AM

Also with Peter he left the club in unfortunate circumstances. Think of Wayne Carey.

Bulldog4life
14-02-2021, 11:53 AM

I remember Bones started off as a forward for us but his goal ratio to behinds was bad. Something like 1 goal 6 behinds in one match. His marking was good so they then put him back.

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 12:14 PM
I don't accept this.

This

vvvv

Also with Peter he left the club in unfortunate circumstances. Think of Wayne Carey.

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 12:17 PM
Our next #5 was Bruce Reid. He was recruited from Sandhurst in the Bendigo League and played 86 games between '77 and '82 before going to Carlton for 3 years. He played mainly as a defender. Standing 6'4" and weighing 96kgs he was very athletics and could take a turn in the ruck.

Father of Ben from Collingwood and Sam from the Swans. In fact Ben was F/S qualified with us until only a couple of years before he was drafted. The qualification back then was 50 games.

merantau
14-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Allen played in 1985 as I remember him in the finals, but can't remember if he wore 5 that year.

Edit, Just looked it up he wore 11 in 1985.

Yes, that's right. In the '85 Prelim, I remember he had three set shots from the boundary Punt Rd end, Members side 35 - 45 mts out and registered 1 behind.

merantau
14-02-2021, 05:41 PM
1987 saw the arrival of Ron James who was with us for 3 seasons until his tragic death in a skiing accident on the Murray. He played 16 games starting in #43 and wore #5 for his last 2 seasons.

He debuted just after his 16th birthday. Prior to that Williamstown selected him to play in their 1985 Grand Final side. He was just 14 years old.

It was a great shock to all when he was taken so young and had so much to look forward to

merantau
14-02-2021, 06:00 PM
Rohan Smith debuted in 1992 wearing #31. Thereafter, until his retirement at the end of season 2006 he wore #5. His 300 games career places him in elite company.
Rohan was a very attacking half-back with great pace and anticipation. His beautiful long kicking meant he was dangerous once he got a sniff and he booted 254 goals in a career that saw him as often as not thrown forward as an attacking option. In 2000 he won our goal kicking with 42 goals.
Since retirement he has continued to serve the Club on the coaching panel. A truly magnificent Bulldog.

merantau
14-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Mathew Boyd took over #5 from Rohan Smith in season 2007. Previous to that he had worn #42 for four seasons.

merantau
14-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Mathew Boyd took over #5 from Rohan Smith in season 2007. Previous to that he had worn #42 for four seasons.
Thanks to those on Wickipedia who did the research for this summation of Mathew's career.

Matthew Keith Boyd (born 27 August 1982) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL). Before joining the Bulldogs, Boyd had played for Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup and Frankston in the VFL.[1] He currently holds the record for the most AFL games played by a player recruited from the rookie draft.[2] Boyd is the grand nephew of Australian football vendor icon Johnny Boyd, known as the Peanut Man.[3]

Matthew Boyd

Boyd playing in March 2017.

Personal informationFull nameMatthew Keith BoydDate of birth27 August 1982 (age 38)Original team(s)Frankston (VFL)
Dandenong Stingrays (TAC Cup)DraftNo. 23, 2002 rookie draftHeight184 cm (6 ft 0 in)Weight88 kg (194 lb)Position(s)Defender / midfielderPlaying career1YearsClubGames (Goals)2003–2017Western Bulldogs292 (86)International team honoursYearsTeamGames (Goals)2008–2010Australia4

1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.

2 State and international statistics correct as of 2010.

Career highlights

AFL premiership player (2016)3× Charles Sutton Medal (2009, 2011, 2012)3× All-Australian team (2009, 2011, 2016)Western Bulldogs captain (2011–2013)Pre-season premiership player: 2010Bob Rose–Charlie Sutton Medal: (2007)

Playing careerEdit

Boyd made his AFL debut against Fremantle in Round 7 of the 2003 AFL season. The occasion was not a happy one, as the Bulldogs were thrashed by 83 points, eventually finishing the season at the bottom of the ladder.[4] He was able to consolidate a position in the senior team during 2004. Rodney Eade's arrival as coach in 2005 signalled a change in fortune for the Bulldogs; during his tenure, the Bulldogs would reach the Preliminary Final in three consecutive seasons (2008, 2009 and 2010). Boyd was one of the key players in the Bulldogs' resurgence, playing much of his best football under Eade, whom he later credited with saving his career.[5] He wore the number 42 until 2007 when he took the number 5 from Rohan Smith who retired at the end of 2006.

In 2009, Boyd was rewarded for a strong season with selection in the 2009 All-Australian Team & winning his first Charles Sutton Medal, the Bulldogs' annual best and fairest award.[6]

On 21 January 2011, he was announced as the new captain for the Western Bulldogs.[7] Boyd relished the Bulldogs captaincy and continued his good form and was rewarded with his second All-Australian selection and second Charlie Sutton Medal.

Boyd retained the captaincy when Brendan McCartney took over as coach for the 2012 AFL season, and as the emphasis was on list rejuvenation (Boyd by this time was an established AFL veteran), he was used more in run-with roles. An illustrative example of this was in Round 13 against Richmond in 2013; although the Bulldogs lost by 60 points, Boyd won his duel with Trent Cotchin, restricting the Richmond captain to 17 disposals while he accumulated twice as many disposals.[8] A broken cheekbone and calf injury limited Boyd to 13 games during the 2013 AFL season,[9] and at the end of the season, he relinquished the club captaincy to Ryan Griffen, who had captained the Bulldogs in 2013 during Boyd's absence.

Boyd's importance to the young playing group on and off the field was recognized with a new one-year contract in July 2014,[9] which he signed in September.[10] On October 9, Griffen, who had only been captain for one season, sensationally requested - and was later traded - to Greater Western Sydney in exchange for Tom Boyd. He revealed later that the pressure of captaincy and the extra media attention almost persuaded him to quit the sport altogether.[11] The following day, it was announced that McCartney had resigned as coach due to player discontent.[12] In November, Luke Beveridge was appointed as the Bulldogs' new senior coach[13] and fellow veteran Robert Murphy was appointed captain the following week.[14]

During the 2015 season, the Bulldogs' player list management had contemplated delisting Boyd along with fellow veteran Dale Morris at the end of the season. But Beveridge objected to the idea, insisting that both players still had much to contribute by way of experience.[15] The Bulldogs announced one-year extensions for both Boyd and Morris in the lead up to the Elimination Final against Adelaide, which the Bulldogs began well but ended up losing by seven points.

In 2016, Boyd was recognized for another outstanding season with his third selection in the All Australian team; he averaged 27 possessions per game with a kicking efficiency of 77 percent.[16] In addition, his leadership in defence was crucial in a season where the Bulldogs struggled with injury, losing captain Bob Murphy to a serious knee injury in Round 3, and Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood and Dale Morris all suffering hamstring injuries at various stages of the season. Despite the shocking run with injuries, the Bulldogs managed to qualify for the finals with 15 wins.

What followed was the most memorable month in the club's history. Finishing the home-and-away season in seventh position, the Bulldogs stunned the football world with a 47-point win over the previous season's runner-up West Coast in Perth, then triumphed in the Semi Final at the MCG against Hawthorn, the team which had won the last three premierships, before finally breaking their Preliminary Final hoodoo, downing premiership favourites Greater Western Sydney in an epic encounter to reach their first Grand Final since 1961. In one of the most sentimental Grand Finals in recent memory, the Bulldogs broke a 62-year drought, pulling away in the final minutes to claim the premiership and sparking a great outpouring of emotion from the football public.[17] Boyd was rated among the Bulldogs' best players,[18] gathering 27 disposals and rebounding from the opposition 50 seven times. Two weeks after the momentous victory, Boyd confirmed after some speculation that he would play on the following season by signing a new one-year contract.[18]

In 2017 in the Bulldogs' final pre-season match against Gold Coast, Boyd sustained an accidental injury when Peter Wright made contact with the elbow to his right ear. The impact caused a tear which required reconstructive surgery. After the surgery, Boyd trained in protective headgear in a bid to be ready for the Round 1 match at the MCG against Collingwood.[19] Boyd formally announced his retirement on August 8.[2] Boyd played the final game of his career in round 23 where he collected 33 disposals and 1 goal in a 9 point loss to Hawthorn

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 06:58 PM
Yes, that's right. In the '85 Prelim, I remember he had three set shots from the boundary Punt Rd end, Members side 35 - 45 mts out and registered 1 behind.

He kicked a sensational goal in the semi v North straight after Simon Beasley kicks his 100th. He typically takes a couple of short steps before the contest but tgen smothers a kick on the half forward line before scooping up the ball and kicking it across his body from 50-60 metres out. It's one of the best goals I've ever seen.

33.40 on this video

https://youtu.be/di-CIDXV6fM

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 07:47 PM

Matthew Keith Boyd (born 27 August 1982) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League (AFL). Before joining the Bulldogs, Boyd had played for Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup and Frankston in the VFL.[1] He currently holds the record for the most AFL games played by a player recruited from the rookie draft.[2] Boyd is the grand nephew of Australian football vendor icon Johnny Boyd, known as the Peanut Man.[3]

Matthew Boyd

Boyd playing in March 2017.

Personal informationFull nameMatthew Keith BoydDate of birth27 August 1982 (age 38)Original team(s)Frankston (VFL)
Dandenong Stingrays (TAC Cup)DraftNo. 23, 2002 rookie draftHeight184 cm (6 ft 0 in)Weight88 kg (194 lb)Position(s)Defender / midfielderPlaying career1YearsClubGames (Goals)2003–2017Western Bulldogs292 (86)International team honoursYearsTeamGames (Goals)2008–2010Australia4

Career highlights

AFL premiership player (2016)3× Charles Sutton Medal (2009, 2011, 2012)3× All-Australian team (2009, 2011, 2016)Western Bulldogs captain (2011–2013)Pre-season premiership player: 2010Bob Rose–Charlie Sutton Medal: (2007)

"Keithy" Boyd is the greatest nick name of all time.

merantau
14-02-2021, 08:12 PM
That was a great goal and a terrific game to watch. We had some great players in that team. I REALLY enjoyed that trip down memory lane. Simon Beasley was a gun forward. The Hawk Steve Wallis, Jim Edmond, Choco 'Polly' Purser Magic, Fossie Rick Kennedy et al - top side. Thanks for sharing

Twodogs
14-02-2021, 08:48 PM
That was a great goal and a terrific game to watch. We had some great players in that team. I REALLY enjoyed that trip down memory lane. Simon Beasley was a gun forward. The Hawk Steve Wallis, Jim Edmond, Choco 'Polly' Purser Magic, Fossie Rick Kennedy et al - top side. Thanks for sharing

There were some really tough cookies in that team.

merantau
15-02-2021, 10:32 AM
So, now it's time to fill in some gaps re our #6. After Charlie retired the next significant player to wear #6 was Keith Beamish, a local whose brother Barrie also played for us. But I think he played Reserves.

Keith debuted in 1959 playing 7 games. He took over the #6 in 1960 and played another 7 games.
In 1961 he established himself as our 2nd rover and played 20 games including the GF against Hawthorn
He was badly injured and was carried off just before half time from memory. I assume it was a knee injury because he did not appear in the firsts again spending 1962 in the Reserves.

merantau
15-02-2021, 01:58 PM
1963 saw the debut of all-time supporter favourite George Bisset. Hailing from the Braybrook Football Club, George quickly found his groove and won the Club's goal kicking award in his first season. He went on to win it another 4 times - 64, 67, 69 and 70 and he won the B&F in 1969.

Standing 168cms or 5'6", and weighing 70kg or 11 stone George had a ton of guts and didn't take a backward step - from anyone. He didn't care how big they were - George would hold his own. Mind you he did have EJ in his corner! The two of them developed an uncanny understanding of where they each were and George would often run on to a perfectly placed hand pass to stick one through the big sticks.

George was born on March 10, 1943 so will turn 78 next month. He would have won the Brownlow in 1969 if he had not been reported in the July 12 Match against Carlton. He and Ian Robertson were reported for striking each other. The charges were dismissed but because he'd been reported he was ineligible to receive votes. He kicked 6 goals and had 30+ possessions. Kevin Murray won by one vote from George. Injustice reigned again!
In 1973 the League introduced the short lived "10 Year Rule". After 10 years with service with one club players were allowed to transfer to another without obtaining a clearance.

This rule was instituted to avoid the launching of 'restraint of trade' actions which had become prominent in NSW rugby league circles.
Twenty-two players were eligible and 6, included George, made use of it.
George went to the Pies for 2 seasons. North picked up Doug Wade, Barry Davis, John Rantall and the '75 Premiership. We picked up Adrian Gallagher and Carl Ditterich went to Melbourne.

All up George played 166 games and kicked 288 goals in a 10 year career with us. At Collingwood he played 41 games and booted 49 goals. He retired at the end of the 1974 season.

I am not sure of Bulldogs supporters reaction to George's departure as I was o/s at the time.

George was selected to play at half forward in the Bulldogs Team of the Century. He maintained his involvement with us coming back as a specialist coach for a number of years. A truly great player who was a standout during some lean years. Much loved.

merantau
15-02-2021, 02:25 PM
For the record: in George's 10 seasons with us we finished (position - wins) - 9-7, 7-9, 10-4, 10-4, 12-4, 10-5, 11-6, 7-11, 8-11 and 7-11.

When George went to Collingwood he played in a winning Semi-Final against Carlton in which he was the leading goal kicker with 3 and in the losing Prelim the following week against Richmond he was the leading possession winner with 31.

merantau
15-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Thanks to Wickipedia and AFL tables for research into players' records.

bornadog
15-02-2021, 04:49 PM
He and Ian Robertson were reported for striking each other. The charges were dismissed but because he'd been reported he was ineligible to receive votes. He kicked 6 goals and had 30+ possessions. Kevin Murray won by one vote from George. Injustice reigned again!

Another unfair system by V/AFL where umpires didn't wait till the tribunal hearing and gave votes straight after the game.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-02-2021, 09:45 PM
1963 saw the debut of all-time supporter favourite George Bisset. Hailing from the Braybrook Football Club, George quickly found his groove and won the Club's goal kicking award in his first season. He went on to win it another 4 times - 64, 67, 69 and 70 and he won the B&F in 1969.

Standing 168cms or 5'6", and weighing 70kg or 11 stone George had a ton of guts and didn't take a backward step - from anyone. He didn't care how big they were - George would hold his own. Mind you he did have EJ in his corner! The two of them developed an uncanny understanding of where they each were and George would often run on to a perfectly placed hand pass to stick one through the big sticks.

George was born on March 10, 1943 so will turn 78 next month. He would have won the Brownlow in 1969 if he had not been reported in the July 12 Match against Carlton. He and Ian Robertson were reported for striking each other. The charges were dismissed but because he'd been reported he was ineligible to receive votes. He kicked 6 goals and had 30+ possessions. Kevin Murray won by one vote from George. Injustice reigned again!
In 1973 the League introduced the short lived "10 Year Rule". After 10 years with service with one club players were allowed to transfer to another without obtaining a clearance.

This rule was instituted to avoid the launching of 'restraint of trade' actions which had become prominent in NSW rugby league circles.
Twenty-two players were eligible and 6, included George, made use of it.
George went to the Pies for 2 seasons. North picked up Doug Wade, Barry Davis, John Rantall and the '75 Premiership. We picked up Adrian Gallagher and Carl Ditterich went to Melbourne.

All up George played 166 games and kicked 288 goals in a 10 year career with us. At Collingwood he played 41 games and booted 49 goals. He retired at the end of the 1974 season.

I am not sure of Bulldogs supporters reaction to George's departure as I was o/s at the time.

George was selected to play at half forward in the Bulldogs Team of the Century. He maintained his involvement with us coming back as a specialist coach for a number of years. A truly great player who was a standout during some lean years. Much loved.
George Bisset never wanted to leave Footscray but wasn’t highly paid at the time and needing to buy his house at the time received an attractive offer from Collingwood under the 10 Year rule which the Bulldogs were not prepared to match. George rarely misses a WB game with his wife Kath and continues to be a passionate Life Member. He was encouraged to take on the role of Chairman of Selectors when Terry Wheeler was appointed Coach in 1990. George has an uncanny knowledge of the game and a true Bulldog.

merantau
15-02-2021, 10:05 PM
George Bisset never wanted to leave Footscray but wasn’t highly paid at the time and needing to buy his house at the time received an attractive offer from Collingwood under the 10 Year rule which the Bulldogs were not prepared to match. George rarely misses a WB game with his wife Kath and continues to be a passionate Life Member. He was encouraged to take on the role of Chairman of Selectors when Terry Wheeler was appointed Coach in 1990. George has an uncanny knowledge of the game and a true Bulldog.

Thanks for that insider heads up. I suspected as such and hope that
supporters at the time showed no ill will toward him because he really was a champion player for us who gave his all. One of the greats.

bornadog
15-02-2021, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that insider heads up. I suspected as such and hope that
supporters at the time showed no ill will toward him because he really was a champion player for us who gave his all. One of the greats.

As a kid loved Georgie.

He visited our school fete when I was around 13 years old and I chatted with him and got his autograph. It was a big thrill, especially those days when players were not very accessible.

merantau
16-02-2021, 07:05 PM
Gary "Crazy Horse" Cowton had a 13 year 199 game career played in 4 stints at 3 clubs. He spent '79 and '80 with us wearing #6 for 40 games.

Twodogs
16-02-2021, 07:33 PM
Gary "Crazy Horse" Cowton had a 13 year 199 game career played in 4 stints at 3 clubs. He spent '79 and '80 with us wearing #6 for 40 games.

We exchanged Gary Dempsey for Cowton, John Moylan and Mark Williams. The most memorable thing I remember Williams doing was riding his motorbike into the clubrooms before training one night and getting a bollocking from Charlie Sutton (pretty sure it was Charlie) for it.

Moylan was a steady player who played 17 games in 1980 but only 4 in 1981 and was off the list. Between them the three players we got in exchange for Dempsey played 62 games in 2 years (Cowton 40, Moylan 17 and Williams 5) for us.

Gary Dempsey played 122 in 6 seasons for North, including 117 in his first 5. Fair to say we got our pants pulled down on that trade.

merantau
16-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Stuart Wigney played 47 games for us between '88 and '91 and wore #6 in his last 3 seasons. He looked like a really good player at times but never took the next step to cement his spot.

merantau
16-02-2021, 07:54 PM
1n 1994 Brad Johnson debuted wearing #33. In '95 he donned #6 and wore it for the remainder of his 364 game 558 goal career.
At 182 cm and 87kg what he lacked in height was compensated for by a big leap and a vice like grip. Has there ever been a surer pair of hands in the RWB?
Johnno could do the lot. He played many roles over his long career but he really shone when played as a deep forward. He was very quick off the mark and had tremendous balance, agility and strength when the ball was in dispute - truly the prototype of the modern AFL footballer.
Johnno had the best 300th game of any player ever booting 3 goals intime on the send the Crows packing. An absolutely brilliant player who achieved greatness in his playing days. Three times B&F, five times leading goal kicker, multiple All-Australian, Bulldog Team of the Century - he's a Bulldog Legend

HOSE B ROMERO
16-02-2021, 09:41 PM

I remember being at the western oval in about 1990 and Hopkins did a lap of honour in the back of a car. He was into his '80's and still playing golf up on the Murray.
Good old banana legs.

Twodogs
17-02-2021, 12:14 AM

Didn't notice the years until just now. The VFA premierships were '23/'24. We were in the VFL by 1925.

jeemak
17-02-2021, 01:09 AM
1n 1994 Brad Johnson debuted wearing #33. In '95 he donned #6 and wore it for the remainder of his 364 game 558 goal career.
At 182 cm and 87kg what he lacked in height was compensated for by a big leap and a vice like grip. Has there ever been a surer pair of hands in the RWB?
Johnno could do the lot. He played many roles over his long career but he really shone when played as a deep forward. He was very quick off the mark and had tremendous balance, agility and strength when the ball was in dispute - truly the prototype of the modern AFL footballer.
Johnno had the best 300th game of any player ever booting 3 goals intime on the send the Crows packing. An absolutely brilliant player who achieved greatness in his playing days. Three times B&F, five times leading goal kicker, multiple All-Australian, Bulldog Team of the Century - he's a Bulldog Legend

Johnno was a freak, and would have had more AAs if he had have continued playing further up the ground. However, his move deep forward in my view made him a more valuable player and a better player overall. Not many players play as a KPF at 182cm, and become an AA player in doing so.

merantau
17-02-2021, 03:55 AM
https://youtu.be/7AmxDygv3a0

He could play

merantau
17-02-2021, 08:41 AM
This is a good summation of why he is such an admired person.

https://youtu.be/-CMFHz6Cmy0

merantau
17-02-2021, 08:54 AM
"There's no such thing as a 'bad' goal." (Brian Clough, Nottingham Forest & England)

https://youtu.be/juTWXkqrLWU

bornadog
17-02-2021, 10:31 AM
Didn't notice the years until just now. The VFA premierships were '23/'24. We were in the VFL by 1925.

Thanks, was a typo

merantau
17-02-2021, 07:20 PM
This is a recollection from ex-Braybrook player Ian Major, who went on to radio broadcasting fame with Jack Dyer, as one half of "The Captain and the Major" on 3xy. Fabulous football commentary.

"George Bisset is worth a book on his own. I played footy and cricket with and against George. When he was under sixteen they said at 168 centimeters he wouldn't make it in under eighteen. In that grade they said he wouldn't make it in seniors. Over two hundred VFL games later George had won a Best and Fairest with Footscray, plus the fact he should have won the Brownlow Medal to beat Kevin Murray in 1969. George was reported for striking Ian Robertson of Carlton when all media gave him best on ground. He was subsequently cleared but in those days, if the umpire reported you he didn't give you a vote and that's what happened, George didn't get a vote and lost the Brownlow with Kevin on nineteen and George on eighteen.

George was game for anything. He had horses and rode them everywhere, along with Ivan Marsh and another teammate, Jeff Radford, who became an Australian rodeo star. On one occasion, Georgie played Footscray thirds and then came to play with Braybrook seniors in the afternoon. If Footscray only knew their star rover was actually breaking wild horses on Sundays they would have had a fit. If memory serves me correctly, he was also playing a Sunday league game as well as Saturdays with the Bulldogs, until the administration found out. George played lawn bowls when anyone in their twenties, or under, playing bowls was looked upon as strange. If you ever see the Violent Saturday video with Big Carl Ditterich cutting loose in the VFL, watch closely the piece against the Bulldogs. After Carl belts someone, a little bloke with the ball throws it away and heads to take on the big strongman of the league. George was the only one in the VFL who ever went looking for Big Carl!"

merantau
17-02-2021, 09:28 PM
Luke Dahlhaus arrived in 2011 and wore number 40 for two seasons before taking over #6 for the remainder of his time with us. He played 154 games and kicked 110 goals before leaving for Geelong at the end of '18.

He was a tremendously courageous player for us and had an excellent finals series in 2016.

I first saw him playing for Williamstown and was immediately impressed by his workrate. He showed tremendous desire to win the ball and to tackle when he didn't have it. I always knew he would be a good player.

It is a pity the way it ended with us however I think he played his best football with us. His output at Geelong has been steady - no more than that IMO.

merantau
17-02-2021, 10:27 PM
Luke was an unrestricted free agent when he left.

Twodogs
17-02-2021, 11:14 PM
For the record: in George's 10 seasons with us we finished (position - wins) - 9-7, 7-9, 10-4, 10-4, 12-4, 10-5, 11-6, 7-11, 8-11 and 7-11.

When George went to Collingwood he played in a winning Semi-Final against Carlton in which he was the leading goal kicker with 3 and in the losing Prelim the following week against Richmond he was the leading possession winner with 31.

I was talking to a friend of mine a while ago about going to see Jamarah Ugle Hagan's debut in March just so we can say we were there and we got to talking about Kelvin Templeton's debut. He sent me this link, page 13 (bottom right corner) talks about KT's first game but there is also an article written by George Bissett on the same page about the final he played v Richmond.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=MDQ-9Oe3GGUC&dat=19730924&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

jeemak
18-02-2021, 01:07 AM
Luke Dahlhaus arrived in 2011 and wore number 40 for two seasons before taking over #6 for the remainder of his time with us. He played 154 games and kicked 110 goals before leaving for Geelong at the end of '18.

He was a tremendously courageous player for us and had an excellent finals series in 2016.

I first saw him playing for Williamstown and was immediately impressed by his workrate. He showed tremendous desire to win the ball and to tackle when he didn't have it. I always knew he would be a good player.

It is a pity the way it ended with us however I think he played his best football with us. His output at Geelong has been steady - no more than that IMO.

Dahl was pretty much the complete small player as a junior, with one limitation and that was his kicking. We did really well to land him when we did, and he was a great fit for us at the time we needed him to be.

By the time 2016 rolled around he was a very good ordinary player, but something went wrong and he tapered off a bit. Some of the reports about his attitude and behaviour around the club are unedifying for him (and in honesty, the club and his team mates), and that's a shame.

Until he's done with his career he's dead to me, once he's done he's back in the fold and a champion of the club who carries a mark against his name.

merantau
18-02-2021, 07:45 AM
And so to our current #6, Bailey Smith. He debuted in 2019 and has strung together 41 games averaging 20.5 possessions.

Has the attitude and attributes to travel far in this game and be considered, in the future, alongside the greats who've worn the #6.

merantau
18-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Roger Duffy played half forward flank in our 1954 Premiership and wore #7. He was recruited in 1952 from Sydney club Newtown where he played as full forward and won the Club's goal kicking in seasons '51 and '52. A true six footer, he weighed in at 82kg.

He won our goal kicking in his first season with 20 goals. All up he played 117 games from '52 to '58 and kicked 117 goals. He passed away in 2003, aged 72.

Jam Donuts
18-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Jack was a mate of my Dad's and when i needed some good wicketkeeping gloves at age 14 or 15 off we went to Jack's sports shop, ended up with gloves, bat, pads the full kit basically, also ended up playing at Footscray the next weekend thanks to Jack's input, great guy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-02-2021, 06:04 PM
Jack was a mate of my Dad's and when i needed some good wicketkeeping gloves at age 14 or 15 off we went to Jack's sports shop, ended up with gloves, bat, pads the full kit basically, also ended up playing at Footscray the next weekend thanks to Jack's input, great guy.

Jack was one of three brothers to wear the RWB jumper. Charlie Sutton said that Whitten and Collins were the two best players he had seen at Footscray. Decided not to play for Victoria on one occasion and to the annoyance of the state selectors decided to play instead for Footscray against Carlton and promptly kicked 9 goals. Jack was also a very good District cricketer with Footscray.

merantau
18-02-2021, 09:14 PM
Kevin Jackman spent four seasons with us from #65 to #68. He wore #42 in his first year but thereafter wore #7. He played 33 games and in his second season won our goalkicking with 28 goals.
Ex Tottenham Tech Kevin was a handy rover and goal sneak.

Grantysghost
18-02-2021, 09:53 PM
This series is fantastic thanks @merantau. Really enjoying the trip down memory lane. My first memories are of the Geoff Jennings/Ian Hampshire era, I had a hand knitted Michael Egan number 10 jumper courtesy of Mum that I wore proudly in those days.
Never forget 85 and being part of the cheer squad, not only for the making of the Swan Lager ad for Brad Hardie but as my first taste of finals as a 9 year old. Even had the spray painted red white and blue hair to go with the white Eastcoast jeans cheer squad jumper. Beating North in that 85 semi still one of my great dogs memories.

Edit : YouTube hey. This is the ad! We were all asked to carry on like we had won the flag, a completely absurd notion in those days (well for me!) out at Waverley...must have been one of the finals but I can't recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLg-hWzh1r4

merantau
19-02-2021, 07:19 AM
I was at Princes Park for Hardie's debut game against Carlton. Allen Daniells and Michael Ford also appeared for the first time. We had a big win - 5 goals - and I thought, "This is gunna be a good year." We had some great players in that side.
Don't think I ever saw that ad. YouTube is a mighty resource.

merantau
19-02-2021, 08:17 AM
1966 saw the debut of another member of the famous Spargo family - Ricky, son of Bob, younger brother of Bob jnr.
Ricky wore #36 for three years before taking over #7 for his last three.
He inherited the Spargos' fast twitch muscles and was a pacy rover/half forward/winger who played 64 games and kicked 65 goals.
Ricky ran 5th in the 1974 Stawell Gift Final.
The Spargo family was the first to produce VFL/AFL footballers over four generations when Charlie, great grandson of Bob, turned out for Melbourne.

I acknowledge and thank those on Wickipedia who conducted the following research into the remarkable Spargo family.

"Bob Spargo Sr.

LanguageDownload PDFWatchEdit

Robert Henry "Bob" Spargo (7 July 1913 – 14 May 1994) was a former Australian rules footballer who played with Footscray and Melbourne in the Victorian Football League (VFL).[1]

Bob SpargoPersonal informationFull nameRobert Henry SpargoDate of birth7 July 1913Date of death14 May 1994 (aged 80)Original team(s)RiversidesHeight175 cm (5 ft 9 in)Weight69 kg (152 lb)Playing career1YearsClubGames (Goals)1934–41Footscray65 (6)1942Melbourne2 (0)Total67 (6)

1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1942.

FamilyEdit

The son of Luke Spargo and Rena Ann Spargo, née McHenry, Robert Henry Spargo was born on 7 July 1913. He married Dorothy Annie "Dot" White (1913-2016) in 1938.

FootballEdit

Spargo's two sons Bob Jr and Ricky also both played for Footscray Football Club. His grandson Paul and great-grandson Charlie both played for Melbourne Football Club.[2]

AthleteEdit

Spargo was an accomplished professional athlete who was placed 3rd in both the 1936 and 1940 Stawell Gift finals.[3] In 1936 he was 3rd off 9¾yds to Roy McCann and in 1940 he was 3rd off 8yds to Alex Reid.

NotesEdit

^ Holmesby, Russell; Main, Jim (2009). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers: every AFL/VFL player since 1897 (8th ed.). Seaford, Victoria: BAS Publishing. p. 786. ISBN 978-1-921496-00-4.^ "Four-gen footy family: Young Dee to make history". AFL NSW / ACT. 8 December 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2018.^ Morris, Tom (21 November 2017). "AFL draft 2017: Charlie Spargo a pocket rocket that looms as fourth generation VFL/AFL player". Fox Sports (Australia). News Corp Australia. Retrieved 29 April 2018.

Watt, Gary (2008). Stawell Gift Almanac 1st ed. Legacy Books.

External linksEditBob Spargo Sr.'s playing statistics from AFL Tables

This Australian rules football biography of a person born in 1913 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Last edited 1 year ago by DannyS712".

merantau
19-02-2021, 03:17 PM
In 1974 rover Ray Huppatz arrived and stayed for four seasons playing 66 games in the #7 for 74 goals. In '78 he went to North for a futher two seasons. He played his best football with us.
Recruited from SA club Woodville he won their B&F four times in eight seasons. Standing 170cm and weighing 70kg he was small but game.
A serious knee injury saw him miss most of '79 at North.
He returned to Woodville and retired in 1984 after playing 265 games of senior football and kicking 403 goals.

merantau
19-02-2021, 05:15 PM
Round 1, 1978 saw the arrival of Doug Hawkins in the #7 which he carried for 17 seasons and 329 games in which he booted 216 goals.

One of the greatest Bulldogs of all time and an absolutely admired player across the football community, he hailed from the renowned Braybrook Football Club whose record, as a source of brilliant footballers, is without equal.

Although of average physique (180cm 79kg) Hawk had tremendous core strength and skills on both sides of his body. He was exceptionally difficult to out body in one on ones. He could run all day and made the outer wing at Footscray his own. A big occasion player his performance in the 1985 Final series was absolutely memorable and he won the B&F that year.

An exceptionally gifted player he showed his versatility when in 1991 he was played as a small forward and won the Club goal kicking with 38 goals. In 1992 he followed up kicking 42 goals.

He captained us from '90 to '93 and was selected as Vice Captain in the Bulldogs Team of the Century.

In 2004 he was elected to the AFL Hall of Fame and in 2014 he was awarded Legend status at the Western Bulldogs.

Doug's contract was not renewed after '94 so he went to Fitzroy where he played 21 games and kicked 11 goals - all up a 350 game career which netted 227 goals and an ocean of admiration.

merantau
19-02-2021, 05:40 PM
This pretty much nails it re Dougie. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/iSxwwQsTvfY

Twodogs
19-02-2021, 05:45 PM
And so to our current #6, Bailey Smith. He debuted in 2019 and has strung together 41 games averaging 20.5 possessions.

Has the attitude and attributes to travel far in this game and be considered, in the future, alongside the greats who've worn the #6.

20.5 games a year, 20.5 disposals a game. Maybe we should give him #20.5?

Twodogs
19-02-2021, 05:55 PM

Bernie is in the Hall of Fame for his Brownlow, 2 X Colemans and 6 X leading club goalkicking awards...

Unlike Kelvin Templeton mumble, gripe who has exactly the same record even though he played half as many games and for almost a decade less! just sayin'.

Mofra
19-02-2021, 06:06 PM
This pretty much nails it re Dougie. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/iSxwwQsTvfY
Shame the cameras didn't capture more of his games.
Even compared to players of today he might still be the best "one-handed" player to ever play for the Bulldogs - in marks and off the deck.

Twodogs
19-02-2021, 06:18 PM
This series is fantastic thanks @merantau. Really enjoying the trip down memory lane. My first memories are of the Geoff Jennings/Ian Hampshire era, I had a hand knitted Michael Egan number 10 jumper courtesy of Mum that I wore proudly in those days.
Never forget 85 and being part of the cheer squad, not only for the making of the Swan Lager ad for Brad Hardie but as my first taste of finals as a 9 year old. Even had the spray painted red white and blue hair to go with the white Eastcoast jeans cheer squad jumper. Beating North in that 85 semi still one of my great dogs memories.

Edit : YouTube hey. This is the ad! We were all asked to carry on like we had won the flag, a completely absurd notion in those days (well for me!) out at Waverley...must have been one of the finals but I can't recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLg-hWzh1r4

By law Brad was too young to be allowed to drink beer on TV. He was under the age of 25 when they filmed the ad. So they famously ended the ad with him toasting all the people who didn't win the Brownlow.

merantau
19-02-2021, 07:51 PM
Season 1993 saw the arrival of 18 year old Scott West and the start of a magnificent 16 year 324 game 104 goal career
He wore #14 for his first two years but thereafter wore #7.

From the very beginning he showed that touch of class and endeavour that marked him as a special talent. I saw him kick six straight in a dazzling performance against Essendon at home; it was his 5th game!

Scott was the mother of all "in and under" players.. A player of immense courage and competitiveness. There was no pack he wouldn't back in to, no scrimmage he wasn't a part of. He was a tremendous tackler and could run all day. He had great handball skills and great awareness. Certainly one of the top midfielders of his era.

Seven times Bulldogs B&F, 5 times All Australian, twice Brownlow runner-up, third place once, first player to record 400 handballs in a season, Bulldog Team of the Century - and the list goes on. A truly outstanding Bulldog.

merantau
20-02-2021, 03:34 AM
In his own words:

https://youtu.be/ILKAKnwFojM

merantau
20-02-2021, 08:28 AM
Shaun Higgins debuted in Rd 9 '06 wearing #19 and took over #7 in Rd 1 of 2009. A very skilled player in all aspects of the game he played some very good football for us mainly off half forward, occasionally through midfield and sometimes off half back.

In 2015 as a restricted free agent he was cleared to North Melbourne where he played excellent football often in midfield twice winning their B&F in '17 and '18. He played 128 games for us and kicked 129 goals.

2021 sees him lining up now at Geelong for his 16th season having played 237 games and kicking 224 goals.

It's fair to say, that like a good wine, he just got better with age.

merantau
20-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Max Cross debuted for us against South in Rd 5 1956 wearing #8 and he booted a casual five goals playing at full forward. From Parkside, he played every remaining game including two finals - 16 games netted 52 goals. Only St Kilda's Bill Young kicked more with 56. Max kicked 4 of our 5 goals in our thrilling 2 point semi-final win over Geelong. Jack Collins kicked the other one.
But it all went belly up in 1957. He only played 5 games and kicked 2 goals. He applied for a clearance to Bena in the Bass Valley League but we would not let him go. He walked away from football and died on Mar 7, 1984 aged just 50. Twenty one games for 54 goals but still remembered by old timers like me. Six foot tall and 76kgs, perhaps there is a story behind his demise.

Twodogs
20-02-2021, 05:13 PM
#8 is the tough guys number. Three real hard nuts Rick Kennedy, Bernard Toohey and Mitch Hahn wore it.

merantau
20-02-2021, 05:24 PM
1958 saw Bob Spargo, from the Braybrook Football Club, debut for the Dogs in the #8 as a lightning fast half forward. Six foot tall and 80kg he quickly progressed to become one of the leading centremen of his day. He was selected to play for Victoria but sustained an injury and withdrew.

He played 80 games and kicked 43 goals in six seasons. He transferred to West Perth as playing coach in 1964. He represented WA and won the Simpson Medal in 1968 in a State game against Victoria.

Like his father Bob Snr he was an accomplished pro sprinter and made the Stawell Gift Final although I have been unable to find out the year.

A very fine player. One of my favourite players as a kid.

Upon his return from the West he settled in Albury. Sadly that was in North Melbourne's zone so his son Paul was tied to them and we missed out on a very handy player.

Twodogs
20-02-2021, 07:21 PM
1958 saw Bob Spargo, from the Braybrook Football Club, debut for the Dogs in the #8 as a lightning fast half forward. Six foot tall and 80kg he quickly progressed to become one of the leading centremen of his day. He was selected to play for Victoria but sustained an injury and withdrew.

He played 80 games and kicked 43 goals in six seasons. He transferred to West Perth as playing coach in 1964. He represented WA and won the Simpson Medal in 1968 in a State game against Victoria.

Like his father Bob Snr he was an accomplished pro sprinter and made the Stawell Gift Final although I have been unable to find out the year.

A very fine player. One of my favourite players as a kid.

Upon his return from the West he settled in Albury. Sadly that was in North Melbourne's zone so his son Paul was tied to them and we missed out on a very handy player.

He would have been eligible as a father son recruit which was only 50 games back then. We must have overlooked him or he wasn't interested in following his dad to Footscray.

merantau
20-02-2021, 07:21 PM
1965 saw the debut of 18 year old Alan "Doc" Mannix in the #8. A winger/ half forward he was with us for 8 season, played 112 games and kicked 43 goals.
In 1973 he was cleared to Coburg in the VFA.
The following information is courtesy of Wickipedia.

"Mannix played 110 games for Coburg, making him one of a small group of players to play more than 100 games for a VFL club and a VFA club.[6] He won a 2nd Division premiership in 1974,[7][8] finished third in voting for the 1975 J. J. Liston Trophy, won the club's best and fairest award twice, in 1973 and 1976, then was rewarded with the captaincy in 1977.[9][10]

He also won a best and fairest for Werribee, in 1979.[11] The following year he captain-coached Werribee for the season.[12]

Coburg named Mannix on a wing in the club's Team of the Century.[13]"

Mannix forged a career to be proud of.

merantau
20-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Ian Morrison debuted wearing #8 in 1973 and was with us until 1980 for an 8 year career which netted 110 games and 101 goals. A ruck rover/half forward he was a good mark and and had plenty of dash.
In 1981 he spent a year at Essendon without success. He then went to Sandringham and in their 1985 Premiership, playing at full forward, he booted 108 goals and won the Jim "Frosty" Miller medal.
A very worthy career.

merantau
20-02-2021, 07:53 PM
1981 saw Rick Kennedy debut wearing #54! He took over #8 in 1982 until his retirement at the end of the 1991 season. He played 158 games as a rugged, attacking, no nonsense full back.

Standing 6'2" and weighing 83kg, he often found himself playing on bigger opponents but always rose to the challenge relishing the challenge and the contest.

A crowd favourite he was made Club captain in 1986 - a role he held for three years. After retirement he served the Club in a number of roles - a truly loved Bulldog.

merantau
20-02-2021, 08:36 PM
He would have been eligible as a father son recruit which was only 50 games back then. We must have overlooked him or he wasn't interested in following his dad to Footscray.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise that. Either way it's a shame he didn't turn out for the RWB to continue a family tradition.

Twodogs
20-02-2021, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise that. Either way it's a shame he didn't turn out for the RWB to continue a family tradition.

Yeah. I wonder what happened? Paul was a very handy player.

merantau
21-02-2021, 07:01 AM
Bernard Toohey wore the #8 for us for two seaons and 40 games beginning in 1992. He'd already had 5 years at Geelong and six at Sydney where he'd established himself as a tough defender and versatile utility who could hold down full forward. He won the Swans goalkicking in 1989 and was All Australian in 1987.
All up he played 265 games and kicked 115 goals. He was an excellent pick up for us. You knew what you got with Bernard - a tough, hard at it player you could rely on.

merantau
21-02-2021, 07:18 AM
In 1994 we recruited Daniel Southern from Claremont where he'd just played in a Premiership. Solidly built (92kg) he stood 6'2" and took no prisoners.
He quickly became a crowd favourite with his straight ahead style and bold personality.
He wore #8 for 7 seasons and played 103 games for us. He battled knee injuries throughout his career and his early retirement was a big blow.

merantau
21-02-2021, 07:36 AM
Mitch Hahn from Zillmere debuted in 2000 wearing #37. In 2001 he took over #8. He played 181 games and kicked 165 goals. At 99kg and 6'2" he cut an imposing figure in our midfield. Was delisted and then redrafted as a rookie in 2010. Went to Brisbane as a backline coach upon retirement and is now coaching the Lions team in the NEAFL.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Yeah. I wonder what happened? Paul was a very handy player.

And Paul's son now plays for Melbourne. A great footballing family.

merantau
21-02-2021, 10:47 AM
Back to #7. 2013 saw our current #7, Lachie Hunter, debut wearing #26. He took over #7 in 2015 and has now played 138 games and kicked 61 goals. He was a major contributor to our 2016 Finals campaign. His hard running willingness to get back to help out our defence is a feature of his game. Lachie is there from "go to whoa" - a key member of our midfield, a prolific ball magnet and link up player. He has finished top ten in the Club's B&F five seasons running and won the award in 2018.

He's had to overcome some off field challenges to his mental toughness and has come through with flying colours. Will be a one club player.

Bulldog4life
21-02-2021, 10:53 AM
I was gutted losing Georgie Bissett to Collingwood. One of my favourite players ever who played for the doggies. Had a lot of spunk on the field too not afraid to take anyone on. A very reliable goal kicker too even in the mud and slush in those days. Glad he still goes to the games too. Back in his rightful home. As has been said should have creamed the Brownlow but was disqualified by an antiquated silly rule.

merantau
21-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Mitch Hahn was good in the forward 50 too.

https://youtu.be/ywkRWES_Y1g

merantau
21-02-2021, 11:08 AM
Lachie Hunter highlights package.

https://youtu.be/HDVUitAQF7c

merantau
21-02-2021, 11:21 AM
In 2014 #8 was taken over by Stewart Crameri. He had two great seasons with us booting 69 goals in 40 games playing inside forward 50 and winning the goal kicking award in 2014. He also won Essington's goal kicking 3 times - 2011-2013.

Forced to stand out in 2016 as a result of Essington's blatant disregard of practically everything that governs decent practice and behaviour he was denied the opportunity to play in a Premiership.

He was never the same player and struggled with injury. He only played 2 games in 2017 and was traded to Geelong - an ordinary ending to the career of a very good footballer who played a career 103 games and kicked 171 goals.

Twodogs
21-02-2021, 01:24 PM
In 1994 we recruited Daniel Southern from Claremont where he'd just played in a Premiership. Solidly built (92kg) he stood 6'2" and took no prisoners.
He quickly became a crowd favourite with his straight ahead style and bold personality.
He wore #8 for 7 seasons and played 103 games for us. He battled knee injuries throughout his career and his early retirement was a big blow.

I knew I was forgetting a #8 in the tough guy club.

Twodogs
21-02-2021, 01:26 PM
In 2014 #8 was taken over by Stewart Crameri. He had two great seasons with us booting 69 goals in 40 games playing inside forward 50 and winning the goal kicking award in 2014. He also won Essington's goal kicking 3 times - 2011-2013.

Forced to stand out in 2016 as a result of Essington's blatant disregard of practically everything that governs decent practice and behaviour he was denied the opportunity to play in a Premiership.

He was never the same player and struggled with injury. He only played 2 games in 2017 and was traded to Geelong - an ordinary ending to the career of a very good footballer who played a career 103 games and kicked 171 goals.

I am pretty sure that we didn't trade Stu to Geelong. We delisted him and I think that they picked him up in the rookie draft.

merantau
21-02-2021, 02:26 PM
I am pretty sure that we didn't trade Stu to Geelong. We delisted him and I think that they picked him up in the rookie draft.

Yes, thanks for that. You are right. It was a damn shame he had to stand aside because those first two years with us were very good.

bornadog
21-02-2021, 02:52 PM
My favourite number 8 was Rick Kennedy. Tough as nails and never shirked a contest.

merantau
21-02-2021, 02:56 PM
In 2018 Jackson Trengove arrived from Port Power and stayed for three seasons wearing the #8. His first two years produced 32 games: his last only one. He played 185 games in his 11 year career - an admirable achievement.

He fell in between two roles - ruckman/key defender - and probably suffered because of it. I felt he was under utilised in the ruck. He certainly would have been handy in that 2019 Elim against GWS

merantau
21-02-2021, 03:21 PM
So that concludes #8. "Looking back in retrospect" (as the King of the Unintentional Tautology, the late Rex Mossop would say) we can conclude that the #8 has been a very good one for the Club. From season 1956 onwards we've had an almost unbroken line of good, to excellent, to star players in the #8 guernsey.

So, finally in conclusion as we wind up this examination of the #8, let me recapitulate back to what I said previously - the #8 has been a very good one for the Club.

Next up we'll take a look at #9 beginning with 1954 Premiership hero Don Ross. Stay tuned.

Twodogs
21-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Just before we leave #8 I want to point out that Bonnie Toogood is a bit of a star.

merantau
22-02-2021, 06:22 AM
Premiership hero Don Ross from North Albury wore #9 for 129 games during seasons '52 - '58. He played centre in '54 but was also used as a ruck rover and half forward. He won our B&F in 1956. He has just turned 87. An excellent player who, apart from 3 games in his first season, never missed a game after that.

merantau
22-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Cameron McDonald, '59 - '63 played 42 games and was a member of our 1961 GF team playing 2nd ruck and forward pocket..He wore #8 for 2 years then switched to #9 for his last three. He was a noted amature wrestler. Passed away in 2014 aged 73.

merantau
22-02-2021, 06:57 AM
Our next #9 of note was Laurie Sandilands who had a 12 year career with us beginning as a 17 year old in 1966. From WFFC he quickly found himself in the big time. In his fifth game down at Geelong he was switched on to a rampant Doug Wade after half time and held him to two goals - stamping himself as a player to be looked out for.

Early in his career he was a defender but he really blossomed as a full forward and he won our goal kicking 4 seasons in a row - '72 - '75. His best year was '74 when he kicked 50. He captained the club for three seasons, played 160 games and kicked 228 goals. A Bulldog thru and thru.

merantau
22-02-2021, 07:12 AM
Laurie in action.

https://youtu.be/kvAe0EN8z38

merantau
22-02-2021, 07:29 AM
Stan Davidson, recruited from Sale, arrived in 1980 and wore #53 in his first season. Thereafter he wore #9 for 3 years. A pacy wingman he played 62 games before moving to Williamstown.

merantau
22-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Les Bamblett, from Lemnos, won the Morrish Medal for Melbourne U/19s in 1982 then played a season for Melbourne where he played 11 games.
He came to us in '84 and wore #9.
His '85 season was sensational. A small forward, lightning quick with supernatural anticpation he kicked 51 goals that year - second behind Simon Beasley.
The next 3 seasons saw him plagued with injury and he only managed 9 games in that time. All up he played 37 games for us and kicked 59 goals. At Melbourne he played 11 games and kicked 12 goals. If you saw him play in '85 you would never forget him.

https://youtu.be/neR7srTtNgc

https://youtu.be/QJbl0AR-xaE

https://youtu.be/fPnOVLSvmKw

merantau
22-02-2021, 08:27 AM
Ian Bryant was a good kick.

https://youtu.be/FGFoi4bCFM8

bornadog
22-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Les Bamblett, from Lemnos, won the Morrish Medal for Melbourne U/19s in 1982 then played a season for Melbourne where he played 11 games.
He came to us in '84 and wore #9.
His '85 season was sensational. A small forward, lightning quick with supernatural anticpation he kicked 51 goals that year - second behind Simon Beasley.
The next 3 seasons saw him plagued with injury and he only managed 9 games in that time. All up he played 37 games for us and kicked 59 goals. At Melbourne he played 11 games and kicked 12 goals. If you saw him play in '85 you would never forget him.

https://youtu.be/neR7srTtNgc

https://youtu.be/QJbl0AR-xaE

https://youtu.be/fPnOVLSvmKw

My favourite number 9

Bulldog4life
22-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Cameron McDonald, '59 - '63 played 42 games and was a member of our 1961 GF team playing 2nd ruck and forward pocket..He wore #8 for 2 years then switched to #9 for his last three. He was a noted amature wrestler. Passed away in 2014 aged 73.

Onka McDonald. Loved his aggression. Became a bit of a more of a ruck rover I thought. Bit of a protector for the young players along with Ted. Along with wee Georgie played local Bowls for a number of years after playing VFL.

Bulldog4life
22-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Our next #9 of note was Laurie Sandilands who had a 12 year career with us beginning as a 17 year old in 1966. From WFFC he quickly found himself in the big time. In his fifth game down at Geelong he was switched on to a rampant Doug Wade after half time and held him to two goals - stamping himself as a player to be looked out for.

Early in his career he was a defender but he really blossomed as a full forward and he won our goal kicking 4 seasons in a row - '72 - '75. His best year was '74 when he kicked 50. He captained the club for three seasons, played 160 games and kicked 228 goals. A Bulldog thru and thru.

He ended up at Collingwood too.

Bulldog4life
22-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Ian Bryant was a good kick.

https://youtu.be/FGFoi4bCFM8

Those drop kicks were sublime.

bornadog
22-02-2021, 12:16 PM
Those drop kicks were sublime.

I use to love doing a good drop kick

Twodogs
22-02-2021, 01:13 PM
My favourite number 9

My favourite player of all time. Lal was a star. He made good defenders look like fools, they'd all fall over when Les was on the plot. It was like he had trap doors on the ground that he would appear out of and intercept opposition kicks and handballs then run into open goals.

I use to love doing a good drop kick

I still do. When you hit it right it's like a magic trick. I love hitting a torp just right too and watching it barrel over everyone's head.

merantau
22-02-2021, 02:03 PM
He ended up at Collingwood too.

Yes, I'm not sure how that came about.