PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
27-02-2021, 10:04 PM
All discussion for our second hitout for season 2021.

Go Dogs!

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 12:49 AM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/868202/tickets-on-sale-for-dogs-aami-series-match

Tickets on sale for Dogs’ AAMI Series match

Tickets for the Western Bulldogs’ 2021 AAMI Community Series match against Melbourne will go on sale on Monday 1 March, as announced by the AFL today.

Bulldog members and AFL members will receive priority access to ticket sales from 12pm on Monday, while the general public will be able to purchase from 3pm.

Members will receive free entry to these games, however will still be required to redeem a ticket via ticketmaster.com.au for entry as part of the venue’s COVID-safe plan.

For the general public, tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for concession.

Children aged under 15 are free, but will still require a ticket to enter the venue.

The match itself will be held on Monday, 8 March at Marvel Stadium, with the first bounce at 3.10pm AEDT.

A Bulldogs membership is your ticket to the game this season, so show you’re Made of Red, White and Blue by signing up today.

bornadog
01-03-2021, 12:51 AM
All discussion for our first hitout for season 2021.

Go Dogs!

Second hit out ;)

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 12:53 AM
Second hit out ;)

Yep I changed it in the opening thread. Will say the 2nd hitout with the first being at Whitten Oval last Wednesday :)

Axe Man
01-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Anyone know how we go about getting the tickets without actually having a membership card and barcode yet?

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Anyone know how we go about getting the tickets without actually having a membership card and barcode yet?

There would have been an email from the club with a PDF attachment you can print of your membership card which has the barcode on it. I got that email on Jan 24.

Grantysghost
01-03-2021, 12:18 PM

For A League games you get a membership code which you use to purchase tickets. Like a password really. I dare say something similar?

Grantysghost
01-03-2021, 12:21 PM
There would have been an email from the club with a PDF attachment you can print of your membership card which has the barcode on it. I got that email on Jan 24.

I completely missed that you're right thanks Eastdog! Says you can print out the PDF and scan at the gate in lieu of membership pack/card.
That's very different to A League so good news.

https://i.postimg.cc/GpcFTNFL/Screenshot-20210301-112304-Acrobat-for-Samsung.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Anyone else having issues getting tickets?

Website basically keeps 'trying to secure tickets'.

Axe Man
01-03-2021, 01:11 PM
Anyone else having issues getting tickets?

Website basically keeps 'trying to secure tickets'.

Same, just a spinning wheel.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2021, 01:18 PM

Absolutely useless.

Axe Man
01-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Eventually it broke through. Got great seats, level 1, row E on the wing.

FYI I was able to add 2 kids tickets to the 2 adult member barcodes I have. So you can get 1 additional ticket per membership I believe.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2021, 01:23 PM
Eventually it broke through. Got great seats, level 1, row E on the wing.

FYI I was able to add 2 kids tickets to the 2 adult member barcodes I have. So you can get 1 additional ticket per membership I believe.

I've got 3 devices, none are loading.

Forgot how much I hate Ticketmaster.

josie
01-03-2021, 01:43 PM
I’m having problems too-shizen!!!

josie
01-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Finally - 40 mins of pfaffing around plus 5 mins to obtain barcode for hubby from dogs who had not sent hard or e copy of his card yet. We are in section Level 1 bank 29 (on wing). Will be great to see the boys - x fingers no injuries & they put on a ok show with a bit more intensity. Think we might rest a few eg Libba.

bornadog
01-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Finally - 40 mins of pfaffing around plus 5 mins to obtain barcode for hubby from dogs who had not sent hard or e copy of his card yet. We are in section Level 1 bank 29 (on wing). Will be great to see the boys - x fingers no injuries & they put on a ok show with a bit more intensity. Think we might rest a few eg Libba.

Bevo likes to use the last practice match as a dress rehearsal for the season, so team selection will be interesting.

dadsgirl16
01-03-2021, 01:57 PM
must have been one of the lucky ones..6 tickets on the wing no problems..yay

Axe Man
01-03-2021, 02:09 PM

I was amazed my old man managed to dig out his emailed barcode when I called him.

FYI aisle 29 is more forward pocket/half forward than wing. Of course it will be great to get back to the footy regardless of where we are sitting.

Axe Man
01-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Members fume after missing out on priority passes due to ticketing bungle
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-preseason-2021-members-fume-after-missing-out-on-priority-passes-due-to-ticketing-bungle/news-story/74f09bdf202698e6d323b87c7738facb)
AFL clubs have had to apologise to their fans for a Ticketmaster bungle that has seen frustrated members unable to purchase tickets for this weekend’s AAMI Community Series games.

Fans desperate to see their teams live for the first time in a year had rushed to purchase tickets this morning, with members given a priority window to get in ahead of general admission fans.

But supporters were unable to access those tickets with long waits and delays, which saw the priority window pushed back to 3pm this afternoon.

The Western Bulldogs told their fans: “Due to a Ticketmaster issue, our scheduled member email for this morning’s AAMI on sale was delayed. We will be emailing all members their barcodes as soon as the issue is resolved. We’re as frustrated by this as you are and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

St Kilda told its fans: “Apologies to members who are having trouble booking tickets, it appears the influx of people on Ticketmaster’s site is causing issues. Members have a priority window until 3pm, so please keep trying while we look into this further.”

The league has told fans that Victorian venues will have 50 per cent capacity from Round 1 onwards but fans are already fearing they will be shut-out if games due to that limited capacity.

bornadog
01-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Year after year there are issues with these ticketing companies. Something needs to be done to say the least

LostDoggy
01-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Finally after nearly 2 hours of trying, I got a ticket. Was supposed to be Level 2 (which I had requested) but gave me Level 1, Sec. 41, so took it as I was ******* off with waiting and re-trying every few seconds as requested.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-03-2021, 03:20 PM
It’s been a couple of hours but finally got tickets on level one only to have Ticketmaster make me change my password! Anyhoo got them eventually need a panadol

bornadog
01-03-2021, 04:44 PM
There are tickets still available if anyone is looking.

The Pie Man
01-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Got in pretty quick with the link the club sent this arvo, section 15 level 1.

Will be nice to see some live footy (on a public holiday no less)

josie
01-03-2021, 07:42 PM
I was amazed my old man managed to dig out his emailed barcode when I called him.

FYI aisle 29 is more forward pocket/half forward than wing. Of course it will be great to get back to the footy regardless of where we are sitting.

Thx Axeman-silly me believing Ticketmaster saying wing when they somehow stuff up almost everything else!

Sounds like your dad is a bit more tech savvy than some.

josie
01-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Bevo likes to use the last practice match as a dress rehearsal for the season, so team selection will be interesting.

Your right-I forgot about Bevo’s approach but that does ring bells.

My heart was in my mouth when Libba went down in practice match vs Hawks. Horrible to say this but when I knew it was a head cut not knee I kind of sighed in relief. Having seen him go down in a practice match with an ACL some years ago & a again more recent round 1 game vs GWS in Canberra - I think it was vs Tigers at WO and knowing he does not seem to need much preparation to be as tough and uncompromising as ever I wonder if Bevo might rest him. I’m not the superstitious type but with that track record perhaps I should not attend?

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Secured my ticket. Section: Level 1-23

Doesn’t matter where I seat just great to be getting back to the footy.

Go Dogs!

HOSE B ROMERO
01-03-2021, 08:41 PM
In the process of trying to get tickets.
The last 2 weeks of trying to get aflw tickets has been a schmozzle as well. I had the blue spinning wheel for 5 hours last Wednesday...

choconmientay
01-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Use Chrome on your laptop/desktop if possible. I have been able to get seats but only with the chrome browser. Still plenty L1 seats available but they don't give you any choice of L2 seats.

ratsmac
01-03-2021, 10:47 PM
I got 5 tickets pretty easy. I even got 5 tickets for the Coll v Rich for a mate. Just lucky I guess.

SonofScray
02-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Have to work. Forgot that it wasn’t a Uni holiday. A good test run for ticketing arrangements come the season. It’ll be an ongoing source on game day and during the week, all season. Especially when you go to load your ticket from the app as you walk to the gate and it crashes.

josie
02-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Good point. I take photo of QR code for this very reason.

HOSE B ROMERO
02-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Have to work. Forgot that it wasn’t a Uni holiday. A good test run for ticketing arrangements come the season. It’ll be an ongoing source on game day and during the week, all season. Especially when you go to load your ticket from the app as you walk to the gate and it crashes.

That's why i prefer paper tickets.

Dry Rot
02-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Surely we will put away this pea hearted, injury riddled team?

choconmientay
03-03-2021, 09:29 PM
L2 Tickets are available now. Don't even need to enter your membership numbers.

Grantysghost
04-03-2021, 05:46 PM
VFL game at Whitten beforehand.

#VFL Practice Match Details
Monday March 8
@FootscrayVFL v @CaseyDemonsFC 10.30am Whitten Oval
https://t.co/hM6h9NZGtc

Axe Man
04-03-2021, 06:17 PM
L2 Tickets are available now. Don't even need to enter your membership numbers.

If you don't enter your membership numbers won't you have to pay for the tickets?

choconmientay
04-03-2021, 10:32 PM
If you don't enter your membership numbers won't you have to pay for the tickets?

Yeah, sorry my bad.

Something went wrong for me. Tried many times but with me entering the membership numbers for 2 tickets or without, they still charged me the same amount :(

Before I Die
05-03-2021, 01:22 AM
Change of circumstances freed me up for Monday so I just tried Ticketmaster now. Able to get a ticket at the front of Level 2. It's in the pocket but I'm just happy to secure a ticket this late. I have no idea how the Best Available algorithm makes its decisions, but it's rubbish. Specifying a particular level and area was a much more successful approach. No problem, once I spotted the tab, getting my membership number accepted so zero cost.

Eastdog
05-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Change of circumstances freed me up for Monday so I just tried Ticketmaster now. Able to get a ticket at the front of Level 2. It's in the pocket but I'm just happy to secure a ticket this late. I have no idea how the Best Available algorithm makes its decisions, but it's rubbish. Specifying a particular level and area was a much more successful approach. No problem, once I spotted the tab, getting my membership number accepted so zero cost.

Good stuff BID. Yeah just great to be going back to the footy to watch the Dogs. Will be intersting during the season in securing the tickets. I hoping I can get tickets near where I usually have my reserve seat which is Level 1 Aisle 33 but not fussed if I don’t get that under the circumstances.

CarnTheScray
05-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Judging from last nights game, it looks like the max attendance will be around 10k.

Axe Man
05-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Judging from last nights game, it looks like the max attendance will be around 10k.

I would have expected a bigger crowd from 2 teams with a lot of hype and strong membership numbers.

bornadog
05-03-2021, 05:00 PM
I would have expected a bigger crowd from 2 teams with a lot of hype and strong membership numbers.

Melbourne supporters never trek to Marvel

Axe Man
05-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Melbourne supporters never trek to Marvel

I was referring to last night's game.

bornadog
05-03-2021, 05:03 PM
I was referring to last night's game.

Oh sorry I answered Carn the scray but quoted you.

I agree there should have been more last night, but a practise match - who cares :D

comrade
05-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know if crowds are allowed at Whitten Oval on Monday?

Dry Rot
07-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Are we going to find out who is in our team for tomorrow?

divvydan
07-03-2021, 07:22 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/874511

B: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel
HB: Laitham Vandermeer, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Rhylee West
F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Lachie McNeil
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Josh Schache, Buku Khamis, Dom Bedendo, Pat Lipinski, Anthony Scott, Roarke Smith
Emer: Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Jason Johannisen, Lin Jong

Edit: Melbourne team here https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/874790

bornadog
07-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Well that is a different looking team

GVGjr
07-03-2021, 07:25 PM
We are certainly giving some players there chance to impress.
Does the fact that Cordy has been missing in both games an indication he's out of the mix for round one?

GVGjr
07-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Well that is a different looking team

The IC bench looks a bit strange but the starting 18 looks pretty good

divvydan
07-03-2021, 07:29 PM
JJ seemingly dropped as well.

azabob
07-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Does anyone know if crowds are allowed at Whitten Oval on Monday?

Apparently capacity of 1,000 will be allowed in.

GVGjr
07-03-2021, 07:30 PM
JJ seemingly dropped as well.

Yep, I hope this is an indication that even if you are a senior player we are picking the teams on form

comrade
07-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Going in with Naughton, Bruce and English in the forward line with Schache on the bench. It'll be something.

bornadog
07-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Does the fact that Cordy has been missing in both games an indication he's out of the mix for round one?

Looks like it

kruder
07-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Going in younger than we need to again? I'm fine with JJ getting dropped, I just hope we don't spend the first half of the year again searching for out best 22.

Dry Rot
07-03-2021, 07:52 PM
Lachie McNeil seems to be in favour. What can you tell me about him?

GVGjr
07-03-2021, 07:53 PM

Quick forward and midfielder. Needs to tidy up his kicking just a bit
Good rookie pick up

The Underdog
07-03-2021, 07:55 PM

We’re pooling money for a Brownlow bet. He’s a dead cert. :)
Impressive v the Hawks. Strong running wing/flanker with pace. Seemed pretty composed with the footy.

kruder
07-03-2021, 07:58 PM

I hate to say it but I cant see Cordy being on the list much longer, he really hasn't made any improvement at all in the last four years.

I just think we took too long to drop him for his poor form, hopefully we see some improvement but looking at his body shape nothing seems to have changed.

comrade
07-03-2021, 08:02 PM
The lack of some quality small pacy forwards is very obvious in that named forward line.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-03-2021, 08:47 PM

I find it hard to believe that Cordy as a Premiership player isn’t better than Gardner in what he has shown so far.

Grantysghost
07-03-2021, 09:11 PM
Are we thinking apart from injured players this is the preferred side? I believe this is pretty much a full dress rehearsel.
JJ very interesting.

Vred
07-03-2021, 09:29 PM
I hate to say it but I cant see Cordy being on the list much longer, he really hasn't made any improvement at all in the last four years.

I just think we took too long to drop him for his poor form, hopefully we see some improvement but looking at his body shape nothing seems to have changed.

Cordy was actually playing really well start of last season but tapered off a fair bit towards the end.

The Underdog
07-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Amidst my excitement about Bedendo being in, I completely missed that Khamis is on the bench too. Good to see. Players may be in pre-season but the match committee is in mid season form already.

Rocket Science
07-03-2021, 10:14 PM
Dropping JJ as the game lurches even further to the favour of run and carry, metres-gained types is ... classic Bevo.

GVGjr
07-03-2021, 10:30 PM
Are we thinking apart from injured players this is the preferred side? I believe this is pretty much a full dress rehearsel.
JJ very interesting.

It could be but the players players dropped from the Hawks game have been replaced by the more speculative players on the list excluding Naughton

Schache, Khamis, Bedendo, Scott and R.Smith have to be long shots for the Pies game

AshMac
07-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Love the inclusions, never really view omissions as being dropped in practice games. Surely J lines up against pies. No Treloar is a shame, can’t see him playing round 1 unfortunately

ratsmac
08-03-2021, 05:48 AM
Gardner, R Smith, Scott all playing with Hayes emergency. That's the Beveridge dream team right there! I hope Beveridge doesn't start with his captains call bullshit when the real stuff starts

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 08:19 AM
Bev loves a surprise or two every year early in the year.

McNeil plays well and I'd say he's almost a certainty, Scott is probably a chance too.

comrade
08-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Gardner, R Smith, Scott all playing with Hayes emergency. That's the Beveridge dream team right there! I hope Beveridge doesn't start with his captains call bullshit when the real stuff starts

Anthony Scott has replaced Billy Gowers in the Bevo All Stars.

Happy Days
08-03-2021, 09:07 AM
No one here, in the coaches box or anywhere can convince me that JJ isn’t best 22 or at least better than mfn Bailey Dale.

comrade
08-03-2021, 09:25 AM
No one here, in the coaches box or anywhere can convince me that JJ isn’t best 22 or at least better than mfn Bailey Dale.

JJ has needed a rocket for years, but it’s weird that he looks to be on the outer at the very moment a rule change has been implemented that should suit his skill set to a tee.

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 11:08 AM
Important game for many players today. For the likes of West it's a chance to cement a spot for the game against the Pies.
For McNeil a chance to potentially earn a promotion off the rookie list to replace McLean
The pairing of Martin and English as a ruck/forward combination for the season could be dependent on how they perform today and for Lipinski it's a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the selectors, Dunkley needs a good game as well to work his way back into best 22 calculations

I'm hoping to see a spirited effort as it's great chance for many players today and they need to make the most of them

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:23 AM
At VFL and Treloar out on ground in the pre match drills. Also Schache, Kamis on the ground.

comrade
08-03-2021, 11:25 AM
At VFL and Treloar out on ground in the pre match drills. Also Schache, Kamis on the ground.

Cheers Smads, keep us posted.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Treloar in everything at start of play

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Schache first goal after good pressure from Cav

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Ball straight out of centre and Schache for his 2nd goal

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:37 AM
Running goal out of defence to Butler - JJ assist. 6 min mark only

comrade
08-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Running goal out of defence to Butler - JJ assist. 6 min mark only

Lol JJ and Treloar in the 2s is just unfair.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:50 AM
Casey get there first after getting some more fwd entries. 18 min gone 3.5 to 1.0

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:51 AM
And they add a second. 3.5 to 2.0

Smads57
08-03-2021, 11:53 AM
CAV gets his first.

SkyDog
08-03-2021, 11:58 AM
@smads57 How is Jamarra tracking so far? Any early touches

comrade
08-03-2021, 11:59 AM
CAV gets his first.

Is Marra playing?

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2021, 12:00 PM
I find it hard to believe that Cordy as a Premiership player isn’t better than Gardner in what he has shown so far.

You must have missed all of the talk here earlier in the preseason. Cordy didn’t seem to present in very good shape, with a questionable amount of conditioning. This could be his message to get himself to AFL standards?

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:01 PM
Classic lead and mark by Marra but point only. McComb follows up with a goal. Qtr time 7.7 to 2.1

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Has anyone got access to the VFL team list with numbers? Would like to know who is wearing #7 and #10 in particular - they have looked good!

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:08 PM
If we have concerns about a smallish backline in the seniors then they are even smaller in the twos. Good Qtr by many of the AFL listed players - to note - Schache, Treloar, Richards, JJ, Smith, Duryea and great pressure from Cav

comrade
08-03-2021, 12:11 PM
If we have concerns about a smallish backline in the seniors then they are even smaller in the twos. Good Qtr by many of the AFL listed players - to note - Schache, Treloar, Richards, JJ, Smith, Duryea and great pressure from Cav

Great to hear that Cav is continuing his good form. Should be playing in the 1s imo.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Nice running goal to JJ after lead up work by Jong, Doc and Schache

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Kamis pass to a leading Marra - magic

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Butler being played fwd this Qtr. VFL player kicks another goal.9 min gone 9.7 to 2.1

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Cordy gives away free and Casey get their 3rd.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Treloar gives away the first Stand 50 metre penalty

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Cavarra gets his second - 10.8 to 3.3 21 mins gone. Duryea influential this qtr

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 12:40 PM
@smads57 How is Jamarra tracking so far? Any early touches

Welcome aboard SkyDog

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:44 PM
HT 10.10 to 3.3 - battle of both teams defences that qtr. probably have Duryea as our most important player this half. Schache also providing a marking target. Kamis the better of Young and Cordy - offers something they can’t which is genuine run and carry, nonetheless both Cordy and Young had good moments that qtr. Treloar getting touches which is important at this stage. JJ not that influential off half back as he could be...

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Has anyone got access to the VFL team list with numbers? Would like to know who is wearing #7 and #10 in particular - they have looked good!
7 is McComb

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Raining as they start the 3rd qtr. Schache still out playing so not likely to play Melb today

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:53 PM
Smart kick by Weightman to top of square results in first goal to Dogs

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 12:54 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/874511

B: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel
HB: Laitham Vandermeer, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Bailey Smith, Aaron Naughton, Rhylee West
F: Tim English, Josh Bruce, Lachie McNeil
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Mitch Wallis, Josh Dunkley, Josh Schache, Buku Khamis, Dom Bedendo, Pat Lipinski, Anthony Scott, Roarke Smith
Emer: Zaine Cordy, Will Hayes, Jason Johannisen, Lin Jong

Edit: Melbourne team here https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/874790

Roarke, Schache, Khamis and all the emergencies are all playing in the VFL match, so I think we will be playing with a bench of 4 and keeping to the 75 rotations. I thought they might go off at half time, but have all come out for the second half.

comrade
08-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Stacked forward line with a pick 1, pick 2, and pick 14 running around.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Weightman snaps truly from front and centre 12.11 to 3.3

Smads57
08-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Treloar playing half back at present

Smads57
08-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Sweet snaps one after Casey get their 4th. 15 min gone 13.13 to 4.3

Smads57
08-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Quick ball movement out of centre and Sullivan snags one

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Lewis Young has looked alright with some decent intercept marks, backing into packs. His disposal and decision making is a concern - he seems to get quite flustered and prone to throwing it on the boot.

Jamarra has had two marks on the lead for two shots - one narrow miss and one OOF. Has shown glimpses but they're right about him being a way off his debut.

Treloar and Duryea should both play round one based on today. Cavarra and Schache have done enough to be considered.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Treloar finished for the day.

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2021, 01:13 PM
Thanks a million for the update Smads and Jazzadogs. Keep ‘em coming!
#legends

comrade
08-03-2021, 01:15 PM
How is Sweet handling the conditions?

Smads57
08-03-2021, 01:17 PM
3qt - 14.14 to 4.4 - leaving now for the main event.

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 01:19 PM
Treloar finished for the day.

Out of the game but still doing run throughs on the wing - approx 50m with the last 25 at 80-90%

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 01:35 PM
Cavarra has been excellent. Good pressure, clean, kicked a few goals and had a hand in some others.

Jamarra has moved up to a wing for the last quarter, had a good chase down tackle but minimal involvement.

comrade
08-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Cavarra has been excellent. Good pressure, clean, kicked a few goals and had a hand in some others.

There is a spot for him in the 1s.

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Final score 19.19 133 to 4.4 28

jeemak
08-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Well that's a shellacking!

Thanks for the updates Smads and Jazza! Much appreciated.

merantau
08-03-2021, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Lewis Young has looked alright with some decent intercept marks, backing into packs. His disposal and decision making is a concern - he seems to get quite flustered and prone to throwing it on the boot.

Jamarra has had two marks on the lead for two shots - one narrow miss and one OOF. Has shown glimpses but they're right about him being a way off his debut.

Treloar and Duryea should both play round one based on today. Cavarra and Schache have done enough to be considered.

My sentiments exactly from the three Qtrs I seen Jazzadogs. I would also add a special mention to Richards off half back - clearly this is his best position. JJ ok in patches - played mostly defence and there wasn't a lot of ball coming his way.

Having watched Kamis over a couple of seasons in the Twos, think he has come along way - trouble is he is competing with the glut of half backs we have already to get an AFL guernsey.

Butler was clean on occasions and then fumbly on others - has got a bit to work on. Weightman worked hard - particularly with his pressure acts - just needs to keep it up.

Will Hayes and Jongy got a lot of it - Hayes probably more cleaner on the day. Roarke also had some touches. I think all three however are 'back up' at best at this stage.

Not sure how strong the Casey team was with respect to AFL listed players although I heard someone say Brayshaw was playing. As a result the VFL team clearly dominated for most of the day. The only disappointment for me was the lack of any intel on the VFL players. Outside of McComb and Sullivan, I didn't recognise any other players from the 2019 season....looks like we might have had a bit of a clean out and brought in some new faces. For those at the ground I was impressed by 17 running around half forward. Tallish, agile, good mark and kick.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Great updates and insights. Much appreciated.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Who's this Preston guy? Kicked 4.

Smads57
08-03-2021, 02:23 PM
How is Sweet handling the conditions?
When I first watched Sweet play in the VFL a couple of seasons ago, I thought he could really bring something to the table - particularly liked his aggression - he also got on the scoreboard from time to time. Watching his game today, I feel he has tread water for two seasons with not as much progression as I had hoped.
He was important in the ruck today and around the ground, but he just seems to lack a bit of urgency and mobility for my liking. Will be interesting to see how he goes the rest of this season.

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2021, 02:26 PM

He was one of the four players training with us (with Raak, Ewan McPherson, and Scott).

Smads57
08-03-2021, 02:29 PM

Didn't realise Corey Preston was playing (train on player)...he was number 10 (a Woofer had asked about this player in an earlier post). I seen him kick a couple at least before leaving at 3/4 time. Good to know who he was.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 02:43 PM
FOOT 19. 19. 133
CASEY 4. 4. 28

Goals: Preston 4, Cavarra 3, Schache 2, McComb 2, Weightman 2, Butler, Johannisen, Sweet, Hodge, Sullivan, Hayes.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 02:45 PM
Roof Closed

HOSE B ROMERO
08-03-2021, 02:48 PM
So looks like Brayshaw, Viney and Oliver are out.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 02:59 PM
So looks like Brayshaw, Viney and Oliver are out.

Brayshaw played reserves

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev6np2sVkAI82mr?format=jpg&name=medium

jazzadogs
08-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Didn't realise Corey Preston was playing (train on player)...he was number 10 (a Woofer had asked about this player in an earlier post). I seen him kick a couple at least before leaving at 3/4 time. Good to know who he was.

Agree, he played well and seems to fill a position of need more than Scott based on last weeks game. Intrigued to see Scott's role this week - I can't see how he plays ahead of Duryea as a defender, or Cavarra as a forward.

It was very frustrating that there was no team list available. Even Treloar wore #5, so you couldn't trust the numbers.

josie
08-03-2021, 03:43 PM

Jamarra has moved up to a wing for the last quarter, had a good chase down tackle but minimal involvement.

Thanks & great to hear. Go Benny!!!

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Anyone else starting to get a bit excited about today's game?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 03:51 PM
Anyone else starting to get a bit excited about today's game?

It's an odd build-up to a preseason game. Almost feels like round 1. Seeing their outs and reading about our desire for a "full dress rehearsal" places a fair bit of expectation on the result of this one. We really shouldn't lose. Now, this is just the preseason but after our last game I'm expecting a vast improvement and a clearer indication on what we will look like this season.

choconmientay
08-03-2021, 04:09 PM
Bailey Dale warming up with the defence group

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 04:24 PM
How did Smith miss that goal? They train for that at almost every session

comrade
08-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Jesus we make everything look hard.

Scraggers
08-03-2021, 04:38 PM
Loving Martin in the ruck ... great strength

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Afl website says Vandermeer injured.
Anyone watching able to elaborate?

whythelongface
Loving Martin in the ruck ... great strength

He makes a huge difference. His work around the ground is excellent.

whythelongface

Look like he pulled up with a hammy

azabob
Dominating general play, missing simple goals, same same but different year.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Well everything looks pretty much the same as the last few years *sigh*

GVGjr
Some really nice passages of play by us, if we maintain this we could break the game open

bulldogsthru&thru

Heard it might have been a hammy. Poor old Laitham might just be one of those people who will always have issues there.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 04:44 PM
Dominating general play, missing simple goals, same same but different year.

Aside from Bevo throwing the magnets around, I'd love to know what we actually work on each preseason.

comrade
08-03-2021, 04:45 PM
That was absolute dross.

whythelongface
08-03-2021, 04:47 PM
Good 1st qtr. Macrae, Bont, Daniel, Dale, Martin good signs

azabob
08-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Aside from Bevo throwing the magnets around, I'd love to know what we actually work on each preseason.

It certainly is puzzling. Our game style really doesn’t seem to suit our key forwards in Naughton and Bruce.

Mantis
08-03-2021, 04:49 PM
It certainly is puzzling. Our game style really doesn’t seem to suit our key forwards in Naughton and Bruce.

Our kicking inside 50 is so, so bad... the one from Hunter to no-one when Naughton was leading up the shining example.

comrade
08-03-2021, 04:49 PM
I struggle to believe that Naughton and Bruce have ever trained together.

NoseBleed
08-03-2021, 04:51 PM
Look like he pulled up with a hammy

Hip pointer

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 04:55 PM

Everything relating to our forward line just seems a shambles and has been so for yonks. No cohesion, poor entries, poor set shot kicking, poor roving of contests, lack of defensive pressure. These things aren't really that complicated.

Scraggers
08-03-2021, 04:58 PM
I don't mind what I am seeing so far. Its a bit scrappy, but it's also pre-season. The intensity is most certainly there. I'm holding judgement right now ... waiting (hoping) the game breaks open soon.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 04:59 PM
I mean sure, we've looked by far the better team and should be dominating (they have a lot of quality out). But we've seen games like this in the past over and over. I want to see us start putting that dominance on the scoreboard.

azabob
08-03-2021, 05:01 PM
I don't mind what I am seeing so far. Its a bit scrappy, but it's also pre-season. The intensity is most certainly there. I'm holding judgement right now ... waiting (hoping) the game breaks open soon.

Our membership team is performing better than our forward line and forward entries.

Melbourne is missing a couple of first choice midfielders.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 05:03 PM
You just can't miss shots like that....honestly

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:04 PM
You just can't miss shots like that....honestly

Great goal by Bont, shocking miss by Hunter

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Anyone able to shed some light on our ruck situation? Is Martin or English contesting more hitouts?

I see Gawn is once again dominating the hitouts but we're smashing them in clearances so wondering if we're simply better sharking the taps or Stef and/or Timmy are doing a better job at contesting the ruck thus still giving our mids a chance even without getting the tap.

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:08 PM
I was hoping 2021 Bruce would be an upgrade.

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:12 PM

He's still got the 2nd half to prove he is making progress. I'm not impressed by his efforts so far but it's early days

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Anyone able to shed some light on our ruck situation? Is Martin or English contesting more hitouts?

I see Gawn is once again dominating the hitouts but we're smashing them in clearances so wondering if we're simply better sharking the taps or Stef and/or Timmy are doing a better job at contesting the ruck thus still giving our mids a chance even without getting the tap.

English has been in the ruck more

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:13 PM
We've got some work to do in the 2nd half

angelopetraglia
08-03-2021, 05:14 PM
Some things never change. Dominate possession. Dominate i50s. Miss easy chances. Forward line looks dysfunctional. Pressure drops for for five minutes and the opposition opens us up like a can of sardines and scores easy multiple goals. DéjÃ* vu.

AshMac
08-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Very lucky that wasn’t a push

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:16 PM

Patience is the key. He needed that and so did we

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:16 PM
Some things never change. Dominate possession. Dominate i50s. Miss easy chances. Forward line looks dysfunctional. Pressure drops for for five minutes and the opposition opens us up like a can of sardines and scores easy multiple goals. DéjÃ* vu.

After 4 years it has gotten pretty old.

Mantis
08-03-2021, 05:17 PM
Lovely we get to wait all pre-season to see the same thing.

- No improvement in ball movement.
- Miss easy goals
- Give up easy goals
- Make scoring hard work
- Play 2-3 rookies who are miles away.

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:19 PM
So easy out of the stoppages for Melbourne. Our much vaunted on ball brigade doesn’t care much for manning up.

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:20 PM
Naughton getting a bath so far. I think all the reports of him ‘flying’ over preseason says more about who he was playing on and less about him.

AshMac
08-03-2021, 05:23 PM
Naughton getting a bath so far. I think all the reports of him ‘flying’ over preseason says more about who he was playing on and less about him.

He hasn’t gotten near it. Would argue the delivery in and work of his fee low forwards haven’t made it easier

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:25 PM
He hasn’t gotten near it. Would argue the delivery in and work of his fee low forwards haven’t made it easier

He hasn’t gotten near it and his opponent is racking them up.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 05:27 PM

Needs to learn to lead and give a target, not stand back

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 05:28 PM
Pretty ugly display and more so that the same issues we've had for 3-4 years are still present. Our midfields blatant refusal to block space and run the other way is quite remarkable.

Our defenders can't defend and our forwards have no cohesion. If Bruce and Naughton go for the same ball one more time......

The only area we look different or better in, is the ruck. At least we're competitive now.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 05:29 PM

Not a pretty game to watch. Same old with set shot kicking. Should have at least 3 or 4 more on the board

Mantis
08-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Needs to learn to lead and give a target, not stand back

When he leads we kick it over his head. He had May cold in the first qtr and Hunter bombed it over his head.. got to hit up the leading player, especially against May is so strong one on one.

1eyedog
08-03-2021, 05:30 PM
Jay sus glad I can't watch this one by tbe sounds of things. Anyone playing well?

Can anyone provide score update and time please?

bornadog
08-03-2021, 05:31 PM
Jay sus glad I can't watch this one by tbe sounds of things. Anyone playing well?

Bont, with 19 to half time,and Daniel and Libba doing well

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Pretty ugly display and more so that the same issues we've had for 3-4 years are still present. Our midfields blatant refusal to block space and run the other way is quite remarkable.

Our defenders can't defend and our forwards have no cohesion. If Bruce and Naughton go for the same ball one more time......

The only area we look different or better in, is the ruck. At least we're competitive now.

We should be right by about round 16 and come home with a wet sail to steal 7th or 8th spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 05:37 PM
Khamis is playing. Weird..

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Wallis has looked very rusty in both the Hawks game and today. Hands have been so bad.

azabob
08-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Can anyone provide score update and time please?

Half time

Dogs 5.8 v Dees 5.5

NoseBleed
08-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Naughs out with forearm injury.

azabob
08-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Bruce drops an absolute soda.

comrade
08-03-2021, 05:43 PM

At least he got hands to one to be fair.

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:43 PM

Hands of Stone

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Nice goal by Bont, great signs for a big season

azabob
08-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Naughs out with forearm injury.

Made of glass. Would putting him back reduce his collision injuries?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 05:51 PM
When the same problems present themselves year after year the buck stops with the coaches.

Funnily enough the one area we have improved is ruck after we finally wilted to get a second one. If stubborn Bevo opened his mind a bit we’d make the other obvious adjustments but we’ll have to play the waiting game.

Mantis
Bont has gone into beast mode.. what a player.

azabob
Nice goal by Bont, great signs for a big season

And again.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 05:52 PM
How ordinary would we be without our precious Bont?

angelopetraglia
08-03-2021, 05:53 PM
Naughton does throw himself around with reckless abandon. Super courageous but has been injury prone. Hopefully it’s nothing serious.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Lipinski has been great so far. Hopefully a breakout season for him. We need some silk badly

azabob
08-03-2021, 05:58 PM
Do posters prefer Dale or JJ as the a high HB?

Mantis
08-03-2021, 06:01 PM

Is there a 3rd option?

If the game is going to be this open JJ’s pace is going to be an asset.

comrade
08-03-2021, 06:01 PM
Terrible from Scott, just get the ball out.

azabob
08-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Is there a 3rd option?

Ed Richards?

Scraggers
08-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Who is this McNeill kid? Why would we offer him a contract ?? :rolleyes:

azabob
08-03-2021, 06:07 PM
Gee Kumus has some confidence. Great kick to English and finish by McNeil.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Love it:

Hitouts 36-18 melbourne
Clearances 36-18 dogs

bornadog
Caleb is such a good player

Scraggers
Great vision Caleb

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Is there a 3rd option?

Practise matches are usually open, not much defense

comrade
08-03-2021, 06:12 PM
I have enjoyed Martin’s body work against Gawn. Been a long time since we haven’t been completely bashed up in the ruck against the Dees.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:12 PM
When the same problems present themselves year after year the buck stops with the coaches.

Funnily enough the one area we have improved is ruck after we finally wilted to get a second one. If stubborn Bevo opened his mind a bit we’d make the other obvious adjustments but we’ll have to play the waiting game.

What are the obvious adjustments?

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 06:13 PM
Daniel has gone to another level.

Been watching Buku closely and he has improved a lot. Still figuring out positioning and reading the play but he competes well in the air, was solid in a couple of ground balls and has nice skills.

Loved that he went the kick to English which opened up the play instead of the safe but defensive option.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:17 PM
Daniel has gone to another level.

Been watching Buku closely and he has improved a lot. Still figuring out positioning and reading the play but he competes well in the air, was solid in a couple of ground balls and has nice skills.

Loved that he went the kick to English which opened up the play instead of the safe but defensive option.

Looks like when he came on, Keath went forward.

Not sure about Dale in the backline

azabob
08-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Looks like when he came on, Keath went forward.

Not sure about Dale in the backline

Naughton went off
Kumus on
Keith forward

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:18 PM
What are the obvious adjustments?

Does it really take a mastermind forwards coach to say don’t lead to the same spots, apply defensive pressure, don’t all go for the mark, don’t all wait for the drop, know lead patterns and hit up a leading forward?

The midfield and defensive problems also appear to be players not having concentration but how long can you blame a group of players who keep getting games?

No improvement for years is a coaching problem.

Scraggers
08-03-2021, 06:28 PM
There are a lot of negative Nellies on here right now. Whoa is us ... same same as last year :rolleyes:.

I am obviously seeing this game a lot different to you (and maybe I'm a glass half full kinda guy). The way I see it. Our coach has trained all of our players to be able to play different positions. Therefore, we aren't locked into one style of play. We now have three/four years of this experience. We have recruited well. We are flogging Melbourne all over the ground. Yes, they have some big names out ... so do we !!! Wood, Cordy, JJ, Treloar, Richards, Durea, JUH. At the time of writing this, we have hit the scoreboard 25 times. Our accuracy is off, but no where near as bad as it has been in recent years.

This is a great hit out and will bring loads of confidence going into round one. No need for so much negativity

AshMac
08-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Gee I’ll be disappointed if we drop right off and they get back within a goal or two

comrade
08-03-2021, 06:33 PM
If Gardner is the best we’ve got, wow.

Twodogs
08-03-2021, 06:33 PM
There are a lot of negative Nellies on here right now. Whoa is us ... same same as last year :rolleyes:.

I am obviously seeing this game a lot different to you (and maybe I'm a glass half full kinda guy). The way I see it. Our coach has trained all of our players to be able to play different positions. Therefore, we aren't locked into one style of play. We now have three/four years of this experience. We have recruited well. We are flogging Melbourne all over the ground. Yes, they have some big names out ... so do we !!! Wood, Cordy, JJ, Treloar, Richards, Durea, JUH. At the time of writing this, we have hit the scoreboard 25 times. Our accuracy is off, but no where near as bad as it has been in recent years.

This is a great hit out and will bring loads of confidence going into round one. No need for so much negativity

Agreed. If there are problems then we have good problems to have.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:35 PM
That 3rd quarter was great but the first half was just a bit of a carbon copy of years prior. Here’s hoping the 3rd qtr is the new norm

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:35 PM
Gee I’ll be disappointed if we drop right off and they get back within a goal or two

Cue might be in the rack?

Mantis
08-03-2021, 06:36 PM
That 3rd quarter was great but the first half was just a bit of a carbon copy of years prior. Here’s hoping the 3rd qtr is the new norm

So we just have to hop on Bont’s back?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:37 PM
So we just have to hop on Bont’s back?

Yep. My glass is now half full.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:38 PM
Bit of a bummer the dees’ mids were out. We’ve dominated clearances but you’d expect that with no Oliver, Viney etc.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:39 PM
We’ll be a much better side if Lipinski can keep this sort of thing going all season.

1eyedog
08-03-2021, 06:42 PM

Someone who can run and kick Vandermeer preferably but they seem to like him forward

bulldogsthru&thru
08-03-2021, 06:47 PM
Coincidence or not that the goals flowed once Naughton went off? Can he and Bruce function in the same forward line? Or is Naughton better off down back OR Schache comes in for Bruce? Or was it a coincidence?

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:48 PM

JJ every day.

AshMac
Cue might be in the rack?

Was starting to look a little like that.... good result
Overall, some really good signs, some obvious improvement areas

GVGjr

I'm really happy with the effort and there are some terrific signs for the season ahead. Many dismiss games like this but I think they're essential for a big season

How could anyone now be pleased with Bont, Dunks, Macrae, Libba, Daniel and Lipinski?
English looks dangerous when he is forward and the ruck combination is working well
And we have seen multiple goal kickers

There are of course question marks on a few things like goal kicking but these are the games to iron them out. Oh and the injuries aren't ideal but this can happen in training sessions

We are going to have a heck of a time narrowing the list down to 22 players for the game against the Pies which is a great sign

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Gee same old - 39 point win.:D

Let's have more in the season proper

Mofra
08-03-2021, 06:53 PM
We are going to have a heck of a time narrowing the list down to 22 players for the game against the Pies which is a great sign
McNeill has to play.
Bedendo and Khamis are works in progress but Khamis has impressed with his spoiling, plays taller than 190cm.
I suspect Wood, Treloar, Vandermeer and Naughton availability will shape the 22.
Scott showed some decent signs too.

Gardner was solid today, continues his development. Martin an outstanding pick up and Bruce's effort was strong against one of the best tall defensive duos in the competition.
Love English's game too.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Bont saying the game was used as an experiment with the mids and positions. That is what practise matches are for, as well as testing your game plan and tweaking it.

Guys like Buku, Scott, Bedendo, McNeil all in and not best 22.

azabob
08-03-2021, 06:59 PM

Only Wood missed through injury and Treloar missed due to being underdone.

Still huge improvement in our forward line and forward connection.

Back line was not tested and neither was our midfield.

I’m ok with being on the negative side as I haven’t seen enough improvement in our deficiencies from the last few years.

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 06:59 PM
McNeill has to play.
Bedendo and Khamis are works in progress but Khamis has impressed with his spoiling, plays taller than 190cm.
I suspect Wood, Treloar, Vandermeer and Naughton availability will shape the 22.

Gardner was solid today, continues his development. Martin an outstanding pick up and Bruce's effort was strong against one of the best tall defensive duos in the competition.
Love English's game too.

I think you are very close to the mark because it would be hard to drop McNeil but is he any better than 50/50 for round 1?
I read that Wood will play in a VFL game so that will shape the back line and it will be a nervous wait to hear about Vandermeer, Naughton and Crozier but we have plenty of depth. I also think the club has a but of faith that Treloar will be available

Competition for spots is a great thing

azabob
08-03-2021, 07:00 PM
Bont saying the game was used as an experiment with the mids and positions. That is what practise matches are for, as well as testing your game plan and tweaking it.

I reckon McNeil might just be best 22.

Mantis
08-03-2021, 07:01 PM

We played by having pretty much only Bont, Libba, Dunks and Macrae in the centre bounces so not sure what the experiment was? Maybe Smith on a wing?

To be fair Buku & Dom only came on due to injuries and weren’t in the original 22.

azabob
08-03-2021, 07:03 PM
We played by having pretty much only Bont, Libba, Dunks and Macrae in the centre bounces so not sure what the experiment was? Maybe Smith on a wing?

To be fair Buku & Dom only came on due to injuries and weren’t in the original 22.

I like Hunter across HF, especially if he can tidy up his goal kicking and disposal.

AshMac
08-03-2021, 07:06 PM
McNeill has to play.

Love English's game too.

Thought Khamis was good overall. Thought he looked slow but that might be watching on TV. His vertical leap looked awesome

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 07:14 PM
McNeil in the R1 22? With all due respect to him, who has shown some good signs, surely he isn't in the final squad picked. Go back and show me what you've learned in the VFL before playing in the heat of a Friday Night blockbuster v Collingwood.

Availability will determine selection to a degree, Scott most likely to play from the fringes IMO.

Gardner as our second KPD is still a big concern. Our back half in general is a concern.

comrade
08-03-2021, 07:17 PM
McNeil is no way a lock, imo. Nice finish but he barely touched it.

I still think there is a spot for Cavarra and I would have Richards ahead of Dale if they’re playing him as half back/wing based on the Hawks game and reports he played well today.

Mantis
08-03-2021, 07:23 PM
I like Hunter across HF, especially if he can tidy up his goal kicking and disposal.

We’ve been saying that for a long time. He is what he is.

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 07:52 PM
Stevo is saying we are confident that that Naughton has a corked arm and will be right, Crozier AC joint might be more of a concern
I haven't heard anything regarding Vandermeer

GVGjr
08-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Has Anthony Scott done enough to debut in round 1?

jeemak
08-03-2021, 07:54 PM
I was pretty happy with that generally. The first half could have seen us with a couple more, which would have been fitting.

Some of the negatives about our performances are part and parcel of who we are and the personnel we have. We know them, the club knows them and the rest of the AFL knows them and I guess we just have to keep on working to minimise them. A bit like our strengths, they are what they are and we just need to play to them as often as we can.

It was good that we showed up this week and beat a side we should have beaten by a more than respectable margin. Just having read the thread from the start of the game I'm a little bit surprised by the despair from posters in the first half, but at the same time I kind of get it because when the game is in the balance and we're not taking our opportunities it can seem pretty dire - especially when we let three straight through due to a lapse in concentration.

Was good to be at the footy again. I'm not expecting perfect or anything close to it this year, rather, just a side that is honest with its effort each week because if we are we'll be in the hunt most games.

dog town
08-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Just a few notes on things I observed today.

First half we were slow on the release hands and just clumsy ball use on turnover created all of their scores. Looked like we were second guessing ourselves and tripping over each others feet when we had the ball on the rebound. We must have blown 3-4 rebound opportunities in open field with small errors.

Ball getting over the back of contests time and time again. Our interceptors are already behind most of the comp so when we go if we don't mark it we need to make sure the ball comes forward or even side ways. It gets over the back far too often for us and was resposnsible for some of our goals.

We smashed them around the ball but when Melbourne did win it they walked through us especially in the first half. They were able to link handballs and seem to get players forward of the ball.

Ball use going inside 50 looked a bit off. Seemed to get better as the game went on but we kicked long too much early I thought. I also think we looked a bit rushed when we took a mark around the 50, nothing wrong with holding the ball and letting something develop with the new rule because you can either punch a low kick or crib 10 metres to create a shot.

Tackling was very good at times I thought. You really have to nail your tackles with the new rules, if you have a chance to turn the ball back your way or create a spill you need to take it.

If the holding the ball rule is adjudicated like that all year we will butcher some sides inside. It looked like they are giving team a bit longer on the ball which allows our guys to wrestle control and feed it out.

Seemed to be a real mix of players going through different roles but we have scope to do even more of that. We had Lipinski inside and out, Hunter in 2-3 roles, some players seem to disappear for long periods. With the 75 interchange are we going to try and run players through different posiitons and out last sides for sheer numbers we can put through positions? Its too early to tell where the opportunities are with the rule but it wouldn't surprise me if we were looking at it.

We felt way too big with 3 talls but it looks like we will persist with it. When Naughton went off Keath went forward so that indicates that we want to stick with it. Will help if we fix or improve connection issues to elmimate getting burnt on the way out, have to mark the ball when we use 3 talls and Wallis though. Wouldn't underestimate the impact Melbournes two pillars had on our performance either, May was awesome last year and Lever was getting better as the year went on.

Wallis- Very quiet and I can hardly remember seeing him as a leading target for the kicker. I hope he doesn't try to be too unselfish in his new role. Tried hard and seem to get a bit cleaner around the ball as it went on.

Bont- Best ball use game for a long time, cant ask for much more than that. Seemed to keep his feet more as well. Was expecting him to have more forward time.

Dunkley- Went under the radar but thought he was very good. Strong inside, great starting positions and body work around the stoppages especially on the defensive side of the stoppage. Bit rusty early but worked into it well and really got hold of them around the ball.

Smith- Tried hard but was a bit messy with the ball. Some of the handballs were really poor just trying to keep the ball in motion.

Hunter- Very interesting game, used forward mostly where I think he is dangerous. He has clever ball use, closes exits quickly, can pressure and creates shots on goal (himself and others) BUT....he needs to either kick the goals himself or hit those short targets or its not worth what we lose in other spots.

Martin- Impressed with his centre bounce work, I went back and watched most of his games from last year and 2019 and he rarely played that well at the bounces against the very best. His boundary work is never in question he finds front spot most times. English has to play reagrdless so in my view it is just a matter of how many tall forwards we carry. Martin should ruck most of the game when fit but we will need to rest him at times during the year.

Crozier- Thought he was good but thought it was a bit of the same old for us in the intercepting roles. As brave as he is too often he flies and we don't mark it or control it. It is something the top 4-5 sides do much better than us over the last few years and something I will watch closely. I hesitate to criticise him because his selflessness and effort is something we need, it is more a comment of comparison to the players in those roles at other clubs.

Macrae- Very good, used it well, got forward of the ball well too.

Bruce- Looked much better once Naughton went off but still struggling with timing of his leads. Seemed to be trying to draw it deep and out the back early but it wasn't syncing with the kickers. Will come under pressure if Naughton is fit and playing forward. I think English is a lock for forward.

Gardiner- Solid game in my view, rarely got beaten one on one and the goals he conceded were mostly out the back. Defended and spoiled with intent on the high ball.

Williams- Biggest highlight for me. I wasn't as happy with him last year as others because I thought his defensive efforts were lacking which we can't have as a medium defender. He won 1 on 1s nearly every time, still used it well and positioned really well to intercept. My concern with him is match ups, ALWAYS struggles when he ends up on the best opposition small/medium eg: Martin, Petracca.

Dale- Looks good on paper today having 2 goals from half back but his errors cost us some scores. Its the duck of the head as he appraoches a crucial ground ball, missed tackles that always stand out with him for me. Understand why we play him in other roles because I am not sure he can play forward with Wallis and 3 talls. He definitely cant play out of the square which is his most effective position. Left his man well a few times which I thought showed some buy in to the role.

Lipinski- Looked very good inside even though he was often playing on a wing. When he got the ball out of stoppages he was able to take away cleanly and use it really well. Can he push someone else out of the midfield and give us more flexibility?

English- Obviously struggled a few times under the high ball when May moved him but when he is moving he is a major issue for opposiiton defenders. Needs to convert his opportunities. Feels like he and Bruce are able to stay out of each others way but Bruce and Naughton are not.

bornadog
08-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Thanks Dog Town, good summary

Ozza
08-03-2021, 08:10 PM
Have heard Naughton is fine.

Mantis
08-03-2021, 08:20 PM
Have heard Naughton is fine.

Saying he has a corked arm.

Reporting that Crozier will miss round 1 with an AC.. no word on the extent of the injury.

Grantysghost
08-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Being at the game and sitting closer to ground level than usual I was in awe of Liberatore's hands. Has there ever been a better contested distributor?

Happy with the intensity. Melbourne were very dissapointing but lacked most of their midfield (Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver) so expect that was around a par performance for us.
Dunkley was superb. And that guy number 4 I think he is, goes all right.
Very impressed with Scott, and McNeil just start working on the statue.

Eastdog
08-03-2021, 08:30 PM
Was just great to be back at the footy today. Great hitout by us to get us ready for the real stuff in 2 weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-03-2021, 08:46 PM
Just having read the thread from the start of the game I'm a little bit surprised by the despair from posters in the first half, but at the same time I kind of get it because when the game is in the balance and we're not taking our opportunities it can seem pretty dire - especially when we let three straight through due to a lapse in concentration.

Was good to be at the footy again. I'm not expecting perfect or anything close to it this year, rather, just a side that is honest with its effort each week because if we are we'll be in the hunt most games.

Fair call - we are who we are. The out the back stuff is going to happen.

I guess the frustration comes out of a - have we addressed any of our key issues? We have with the ruck and we're already seeing benefits from it, why not in other areas?

B - the other question is do we think we can contend, or should be contending? I'd like us to, by this stage I expected us to be contending, but with our current flaws I don't think we can.

It's going to be an interesting year for us.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Forgive my I ignorance but what is a hip pointer? Vandemeer has one reportedly

comrade
08-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Forgive my I ignorance but what is a hip pointer? Vandemeer has one reportedly

Corkie type injury to the hip.

Eastdog
08-03-2021, 09:27 PM
Some photos I took of my return to the footy at Marvel Stadium today:

https://i.postimg.cc/k2vh3hZ8/40-C1-BC4-A-F358-4-F48-B023-DE6-E58-C382-B8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k2vh3hZ8)

https://i.postimg.cc/McsPXfzp/69719234-3120-4-E1-C-9-C2-C-EAA0-FFF206-F4.jpg (https://postimg.cc/McsPXfzp)

https://i.postimg.cc/mztd9ZrN/714225-EC-7-E48-4737-8-B0-F-F47966-F82-A1-E.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mztd9ZrN)

https://i.postimg.cc/gwctYHF7/7277-C7-B1-1-F51-480-D-8-B1-C-DDC457696-F3-B.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwctYHF7)

https://i.postimg.cc/k2mhHdjq/86-C3-AB58-9-D6-B-4-B23-B695-CAF4725-FC40-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k2mhHdjq)

https://i.postimg.cc/vc9NXmt0/C7418026-53-D0-4722-BAE3-2678822-EEFCF.jpg (https://postimg.cc/vc9NXmt0)