comrade
18-03-2021, 09:07 PM
I wish we had a Balta.

merantau
18-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Richmond seem to have the answers.

The bulldog tragician
18-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Tigers still a very impressive unit. Speed, strength, they know their game plan and work so hard for each other. Plus the bloke in number four is handy.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2021, 09:47 PM
Tigers still a very impressive unit. Speed, strength, they know their game plan and work so hard for each other. Plus the bloke in number four is handy.

We could have the same if we really wanted!

Grantysghost
18-03-2021, 10:42 PM
So the sub rule has been (ab) used by both teams for what look like minor injuries. What is the point? Concussion I get.

comrade
18-03-2021, 10:50 PM
So the sub rule has been (ab) used by both teams for what look like minor injuries. What is the point? Concussion I get.

If you get subbed out, you just shouldn't be available for the next week.

azabob
18-03-2021, 10:52 PM
I wish we had a Balta.

We don’t have the system or structure for a Balta type.

Grantysghost
18-03-2021, 10:52 PM
If you get subbed out, you just shouldn't be available for the next week.

Agree it has to be that way to prevent it being abused.

comrade
18-03-2021, 11:10 PM

Well we should haha

jeemak
18-03-2021, 11:23 PM

Interesting view, what does it mean in earnest?

He's quick, can spoil and mark........

jeemak
18-03-2021, 11:34 PM
For my weekly commentary rant (we should start a thread called the Bruce McAvaney Weekly Commentary Rant) it was amazing on the way home from the airport in the car listening to how readily the ABC commentary team were willing to gush over how excited Carlton fans should be feeling - literally forty minutes into the game.

You can't stop them from going pants off early......ever. This was forty minutes into the season and the commentary team were going bananas over a team that would eventually lose by four goals and be eclipsed by ~40% for inside fifties.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2021, 11:44 PM
How hasn’t the AFL realised that opening with Richmond Carlton each year for no reason is so damn boring?

Or am i just so meh with anything non-dogs that I’ve lost touch?

Grantysghost
18-03-2021, 11:50 PM
How hasn’t the AFL realised that opening with Richmond Carlton each year for no reason is so damn boring?

Or am i just so meh with anything non-dogs that I’ve lost touch?

They've won 8 in a row! It's insanely boring.

FrediKanoute
19-03-2021, 12:02 AM
Thought it was a good game. Carlton look good. Will be really pushing for the 8 this year if they keep that form up.

Think that the Tigers just know how to get a job done. Responded well under pressure.

bornadog
19-03-2021, 10:08 AM
I found there was little defense by either team, it was just free for all and whoever made the most skill errors and turned the ball over was going to lose. This is how Richmond like to play, free flowing footy and they are a skill full side.

The BS the commentary team came out with talking up the stand on the mark rule and the 75 interchanges and saying Hocking is basically a genius really got on my nerve.

chef
19-03-2021, 10:18 AM
I like the new standing the mark rule.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-03-2021, 10:24 AM
I found there was little defense by either team, it was just free for all and whoever made the most skill errors and turned the ball over was going to lose. This is how Richmond like to play, free flowing footy and they are a skill full side.

The BS the commentary team came out with talking up the stand on the mark rule and the 75 interchanges and saying Hocking is basically a genius really got on my nerve.

Effectively what happens now in the NBA. This is the result of rule changes to increase scoring. What the AFL is wanting. I don't like it in the NBA and won't in the AFL. Defence has its place in sports.

bornadog
19-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Effectively what happens now in the NBA. This is the result of rule changes to increase scoring. What the AFL is wanting. I don't like it in the NBA and won't with the AFL. Defence has its place in sports.

Personally, I don't think it is due to rule changes, it is the way Richmond like to play. Plus have a look every year the way footy is played in the first 4 to 6 weeks is different to the rest of the year.

To beat Richmond, you need to apply a lot of tackling pressure and not let them get loose and run in waves.

I agree with you this is what the AFL is wanting, but it will get boring.

Grantysghost
19-03-2021, 10:31 AM
Personally, I don't think it is due to rule changes, it is the way Richmond like to play. Plus have a look every year the way footy is played in the first 4 to 6 weeks is different to the rest of the year.

To beat Richmond, you need to apply a lot of tackling pressure and not let them get loose and run in waves.

I agree with you this is what the AFL is wanting, but it will get boring.

I agree with most of your points, however I think the rule changes may have had an impact as the Tigers broke their all time inside 50 record (75 previous 71) and I think the game being so open was a part of that.

comrade
19-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Carlton's defence stood up pretty well considering the onslaught of inside 50s. I'd hate to see what we would have conceded with inside 50 numbers like that.

GVGjr
19-03-2021, 11:08 AM

It's a small sample size but it seems to be doing what it was designed for

Grantysghost
19-03-2021, 11:21 AM

I don't mind it opens up the corridor for the 45, but the Petrevski-Seton one where he was peeling off I didn't like.

Axe Man
19-03-2021, 11:26 AM
I don't mind it opens up the corridor for the 45, but the Petrevski-Seton one where he was peeling off I didn't like.

It would surely be easier for the umpires and more logical to just prohibit east-west movement and not moving backwards, away from the mark.

bornadog
19-03-2021, 11:28 AM
It would surely be easier for the umpires and more logical to just prohibit east-west movement and not moving backwards, away from the mark.

It is utter stupidity that you can't move backwards.

Grantysghost
19-03-2021, 11:31 AM

Yes I think so too.

SquirrelGrip
19-03-2021, 11:37 AM
Again, another Richmond win where Dusty really turned it for them. Listening to radio this morning, they bemoaned how Carlton had five months to figure out how to slow Dusty and didn't.

Made me think - who would we play on him (or even Cripps, Dangerfield and the ilk). It would have been a role made for Moz, but is it now Bailey Williams? Easton Wood? Even Zaine? What's our plan for the superstar big-bodied resting mids who get isolated one on one?

EasternWest
19-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Again, another Richmond win where Dusty really turned it for them. Listening to radio this morning, they bemoaned how Carlton had five months to figure out how to slow Dusty and didn't.

Made me think - who would we play on him (or even Cripps, Dangerfield and the ilk). It would have been a role made for Moz, but is it now Bailey Williams? Easton Wood? Even Zaine? What's our plan for the superstar big-bodied resting mids who get isolated one on one?

You don't stop Jordan. You let him score fifty and you stop Pippen.

I mean, that didn't work out too well either, but some things are inevitable.

Axe Man
19-03-2021, 11:50 AM

I think Wood is our best option with his combination of size, speed and mobility. But if the kick is to advantage it is very difficult to prevent the mark and even if you do, once he gathers the loose ball he is pretty much unstoppable. Just hope he is bored when he plays us.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-03-2021, 11:52 AM

What if the player moved backwards on an angle? It was probably just easier to force them to stand still.

bornadog
19-03-2021, 11:55 AM
It would be tough for umpires though. What if the player moved backwards on an angle? It was probably just easier to force them to stand still.

This is why the whole rule is a farce.

Umpires jobs are so hard these days with so many stupid rules like 6,6,6, standing there counting players in their zones, - asking players about who goes up in the ruck, boundary waiting for rucks to show up and creating congestion.

Keep the rules simple and it will flow.

Axe Man
19-03-2021, 12:14 PM
What if the player moved backwards on an angle? It was probably just easier to force them to stand still.

Common sense really. Running away from the mark without any significant sideways movement and not seeking to cut off the kick, no problem. Moving slightly backwards but laterally to cut the angles - 50 metres. I do see what you mean though. It's a nightmare for umpires either way.

josie
19-03-2021, 07:08 PM

100% agree. Just leave the game alone. It’s gonna end up like basketball. I do not like basketball.

Are we the only code in the world that makes stuff up on the run? Unprofessional and sick & tired of confusing decisions as too many rules for umps.

The OOB on purpose against Jones compared to another Tigers got away with last night a classic example. It’s like Hocking is a dog who has to pee on every tree to make his mark. Enough already.

And the sub rule - what a farce. Hope Dogs coaches & players are smart enough to make most of these changes. Oh - and bring back the 3rd man up rule - if teams clever enough to innovate just let game evolve to overcome it instead of knee jerk reactions.

comrade
20-03-2021, 03:53 PM
The Freo-Melb game is one of the worst I've ever seen. Freo have been horrific.

Grantysghost
20-03-2021, 04:03 PM
The Freo-Melb game is one of the worst I've ever seen. Freo have been horrific.

Agree I'm watching it's a sh1t test. Bottom four written all over these teams.
Lever is extorting them getting nearly a mill a year.

comrade
20-03-2021, 04:25 PM
Agree I'm watching it's a sh1t test. Bottom four written all over these teams.
Lever is extorting them getting nearly a mill a year.

It would be pretty funny if Melbourne lost this.

comrade
20-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Putrid 50m penalty.

Grantysghost
20-03-2021, 04:44 PM
Putrid 50m penalty.

Willing the dockers over the line here. Has there ever been a team that delivers nothing but has the hubris of kings like Melbourne.

EasternWest
20-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Willing the dockers over the line here. Has there ever been a team that delivers nothing but has the hubris of kings like Melbourne.

Long may it continue

comrade
20-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Dockers are done, they're going to be easy pickings over the next few weeks.

Grantysghost
20-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Dockers are done, they're going to be easy pickings over the next few weeks.

They have a few out but gee they looked very dysfunctional

Happy Days
20-03-2021, 06:18 PM
I was really bullish on Freo too. Their young players look great but their senior bodies other than Fyfe just don’t have the talent. Our old mate Hamling was particularly awful today.

comrade
20-03-2021, 06:21 PM
Adelaide are looking...good?

DOG GOD
20-03-2021, 06:22 PM
Crows look quick. Cats a little rattled. Can Crows keep the pressure up ?

Rocket Science
20-03-2021, 06:27 PM

You hate to see it.

Not too many answers for the Crows' effort and dare thus far.

The Underdog
20-03-2021, 06:28 PM

That’s the question. Figure once it drops off the Cats will take over. But the first quarter and a half has been magnificent fun. And I don’t even like the Crows.

Happy Days
20-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Can see why Crows bid on JUH if it was to keep us from picking Rowe. He’s a stud.

The Underdog
20-03-2021, 06:41 PM
Probably not gonna help the Crows having no bench for the 2nd half.

Happy Days
20-03-2021, 06:59 PM
If you combined all of Walker’s games in the last 5 years they wouldn’t add up to that half he just put together. This is nuts.

bornadog
20-03-2021, 07:00 PM
Crows up by 38 points at half time

comrade
20-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Bloody hold on Crows, don’t let dads army off the hook.

The Underdog
20-03-2021, 07:04 PM
If you combined all of Walker’s games in the last 5 years they wouldn’t add up to that half he just put together. This is nuts.

It was really beautiful to watch. They may not play a better half of footy than that all year. It’s possible nobody will.

Hope nobody had money on Dangerfield for the Brownlow.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2021, 07:05 PM
You hate to see it.

Not too many answers for the Crows' effort and dare thus far.

Dangerfield to get at least 2 weeks too you'd think for the bump on Kelly. Kelly was taken from the ground on a stretcher.

Wait its Danger. He'll get off.

bornadog
20-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Bloody hold on Crows, don’t let dads army off the hook.

Dads army average age 27yrs 11 mths and 136.6 av games. Crows 24.8 yrs and 66.2

Geelong playing hasbeens like Jenkins and loaded up with Higgins and Isaac Smith who are having no influence

bornadog
20-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Dangerfield to get at least 2 weeks too you'd think for the bump on Kelly. Kelly was taken from the ground on a stretcher.

To me that was accidental - head clash

comrade
20-03-2021, 07:14 PM

They will invoke the GAJ ruling.

Hotdog60
20-03-2021, 07:14 PM

It was an accidental head clash but it was the intent to bump might have him stuffed.
But it is Danger so......

Rocket Science
20-03-2021, 07:18 PM

https://i.ibb.co/Ssw8fSX/Screen-Shot-2021-03-20-at-6-12-49-PM.png (https://ibb.co/1vG5zcf)

It should be no charge to answer ... but he intentionally went the man and said man was carried off on a stretcher covered in his own claret.

But again, Dangerfield isn't as answerable as the rank and file so who knows.

GVGjr
20-03-2021, 07:30 PM
They will invoke the GAJ ruling.

For sure, we have a different set of rules of the superstars

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2021, 07:37 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Ssw8fSX/Screen-Shot-2021-03-20-at-6-12-49-PM.png (https://ibb.co/1vG5zcf)

It should be no charge to answer ... but he intentionally went the man and said man was carried off on a stretcher covered in his own claret.

But again, Dangerfield isn't as answerable as the rank and file so who knows.

With all the renewed focus on concussions, choosing to bump, and leaving the ground to do it, will come under heavy scrutiny.

But as you say, Dangerfield has a different set of rules applied to him so it's tough to say.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2021, 07:38 PM

Agree. But as I said above, with all the renewed focus on concussions, choosing to bump, and leaving the ground to do it, will come under heavy scrutiny.

comrade
20-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Adelaide will lose by 20+ points at this rate.

The Underdog
20-03-2021, 08:15 PM
Geez, Ben Keays has been absolutely fantastic today

The Underdog
20-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Absolutely inspiring win by the Crows. Left everything out there.

jeemak
20-03-2021, 08:40 PM
The bump rule is that if you choose to bump and you make head high contact then you're culpable for any consequences.

But that rule is superseded by the fact it's Dangerfield.

GVGjr
20-03-2021, 09:06 PM
The bump rule is that if you choose to bump and you make head high contact then you're culpable for any consequences.

The media will probably determine the outcome. If they condemn him the AFL will suspend him. If they downplay it I would imagine it will provide them the scope to find him not guilty

EasternWest
20-03-2021, 09:32 PM

I like Dangerfield and I've always been against the anti Danger pile on but there's no denying that this take is the correct one.

jeemak
20-03-2021, 09:37 PM
This is great, early pressure on the Clarkson and Kennett relationship and Essendon/ Essendon supporters getting ahead of themselves likely outcomes here.

comrade
20-03-2021, 09:39 PM
Bombers all over the Hawks. Hawks midfield is too one paced, getting killed on the spread.

DOG GOD
20-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Bombers look quick, and killing hawks out of the centre. Caldwell looking ok and Cox looks a player. Geez I wish we had Tippa.

GVGjr
20-03-2021, 10:52 PM
I've really enjoyed watching the Swans tonight. The ball is moving quickly and the skills have been very good.
Heeney is a sensational talent and the Swans have unearthed a ripper in Gulden. McDonald looks to be a great option up forward for them.

Rocket Science
20-03-2021, 11:13 PM
Essington pipped by a point after coughing up a 7 goal lead.

Forward all my calls to BombreBlitz ...

mjp
20-03-2021, 11:38 PM
Bombers all over the Hawks. Hawks midfield is too one paced, getting killed on the spread.

Does this count as a “HOT Take” now?

Topdog
20-03-2021, 11:42 PM
Ah that was beautiful to watch

Grantysghost
20-03-2021, 11:44 PM
Essington pipped by a point after coughing up a 7 goal lead.

Forward all my calls to BombreBlitz ...

And to think they gave up a guaranteed two or three points a game in Daniher.

comrade
20-03-2021, 11:46 PM
Does this count as a “HOT Take” now?

Well, it was true at the time.

Essendon had a good quarter and thought it was good enough.

The bulldog tragician
20-03-2021, 11:50 PM
The weekend gets even better.

Happy Days
21-03-2021, 12:04 AM

How against type for them.

Dry Rot
21-03-2021, 01:13 AM
If you watched the Bombers v Hawks game, you watched the wrong game.

Lions vs Swan was a belter.

Beware the young Swans. The dangerous young punk team of the comp in 2021.

Pleased to see my pre season call unfolding.

Dry Rot
21-03-2021, 01:15 AM
Re Crows vs Cats.

Were the Crows really good, or were the Cats really crap and not switched on?

GVGjr
21-03-2021, 03:03 AM
Re Crows vs Cats.

Were the Crows really good, or were the Cats really crap and not switched on?

Without taking away the credit the Crows deserve the Cats were not switched on

GVGjr
21-03-2021, 08:58 AM

Anytime Essendon lose a game is good from my perspective. Losing a close one and one that they thought they had is just that much better.

DOG GOD
21-03-2021, 09:10 AM

I didn’t see any of the game Dry Rot. McDonald kicked 3. How did he look ?

comrade
21-03-2021, 09:37 AM

Good call on Swans. We lucked out last year with Marra but it must be nice getting guaranteed top 5 calibre NGA talent every single year.

Topdog
21-03-2021, 11:44 AM

I watch football for entertainment and that 2nd half of the bombers game was very very entertaining

merantau
21-03-2021, 03:27 PM
Anytime Essendon lose a game is good from my perspective. Losing a close one and one that they thought they had is just that much better.

I followed the game day thread on Bomberblitz. Man did they go feral after half time. Talk about meltdown! Chernobyl has nothing on those angry Bomber supporters. They want blood, heads on plates, they are besides themselves with RAGE.

Some of them are very funny in their agony.

macca
21-03-2021, 03:45 PM

I am going to enjoy the next 5 weeks

Port adelaide @ adelaide oval , Fantasia will be ready !

Stkilda @ marvel
Swans @scg
Brisbane @ gabba , Joe wants to show his new guernesy
Collingwood @ mcg, bucks would not want to lose

None of these teams would want to drop any games this year with final expectation on them except for syd
I am not trying to get ahead of myself but it could be 0-6 for them !

comrade
21-03-2021, 03:57 PM
I am going to enjoy the next 5 weeks

Port adelaide @ adelaide oval , Fantasia will be ready !

Stkilda @ marvel
Swans @scg
Brisbane @ gabba , Joe wants to show his new guernesy
Collingwood @ mcg, bucks would not want to lose

None of these teams would want to drop any games this year with final expectation on them except for syd
I am not trying to get ahead of myself but it could be 0-6 for them !

No wonder Dodo didn't want to give up their first this year for Dunks.

whythelongface
21-03-2021, 09:09 PM
Sad to see Rowell with another knee injury. Doesn’t look good.

EasternWest
21-03-2021, 10:10 PM
Sad to see Rowell with another knee injury. Doesn’t look good.

No way? That sucks.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2021, 10:54 PM
PCL they think. Hopefully not ACL. I mean it sucks either way but hopefully his season isn’t over. Would be just awful.

Hotdog60
22-03-2021, 12:01 AM
Well what do we make of West Coke as the Suns took it up to them on their home turf.
We'll need to be switched on for Kelly and Nic Nat combo out of the centre.

jeemak
22-03-2021, 12:29 AM
Yeah I reckon the EFC brains trust would be patting themselves on the backs right now due to money well spent after securing Dunkley and a round one win............but we are where we are and it's magnificent!

comrade
22-03-2021, 08:06 AM
Saints, Port, Richmond, Sydney all looked very good and they all have an abundance of pacy small forwards. We have missed the boat entirely on that.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Saints, Port, Richmond, Sydney all looked very good and they all have an abundance of pacy small forwards. We have missed the boat entirely on that.

Yep, you can see how dangerous they all look. Whenever the ball goes inside 50 they are a serious threat of scoring. Complete opposite of us.

comrade
22-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Yep, you can see how dangerous they all look. Whenever the ball goes inside 50 they are a serious threat of scoring. Complete opposite of us.

And with English, Bruce and Naughton all forward, having 2 or 3 players like Butler, Castagna, Fantasia (who I don't rate but you know what I mean) makes so much sense. Yet we're persisting with Wally (who battles hard when the ball hits the ground but doesn't have the touch or pace) and a mix of resting mids. Saints in particular have gone all in on small forwards with Butler, Lonie and Higgins all influential in their win yesterday.

It's little wonder we only scored 69 points despite the mountain of inside 50s. I'm really hoping Cavarra and Weightman (and potentially Garcia when he's fit) can build some form and break their way in. We are desperate for that type of player to come good for us.

Happy Days
22-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Well what do we make of West Coke as the Suns took it up to them on their home turf.
We'll need to be switched on for Kelly and Nic Nat combo out of the centre.

Yeah Nicnat and Kelly were cool but their forward line was a real concern. Allen looks like he's all the way here and we all know how much JJK and Darling love playing us. GC have a pretty analogous back six to ours and were a key defender short, so its something that we're going to need to pay particular attention to.

comrade
22-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Yeah Nicnat and Kelly were cool but their forward line was a real concern. Allen looks like he's all the way here and we all know how much JJK and Darling love playing us. GC have a pretty analogous back six to ours and were a key defender short, so its something that we're going to need to pay particular attention to.

WC only really shook them off in the last, so I'm bullish on our chances. If we can avoid playing kick to kick to McGovern and Barrass, it'll help our chances immensely.

Happy Days
22-03-2021, 10:43 AM
WC only really shook them off in the last, so I'm bullish on our chances. If we can avoid playing kick to kick to McGovern and Barrass, it'll help our chances immensely.

Yeah I for sure think we can and will win. I really doubt that West Coast will be coached as defensively as Collingwood were on Friday and we should be able to go far deeper and direct with our entries. Moore and Howe were excellent but they were put in a primo spot to look so good by their coach filling every centimetre of space trying not to get his arse kicked.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-03-2021, 11:51 AM
And with English, Bruce and Naughton all forward, having 2 or 3 players like Butler, Castagna, Fantasia (who I don't rate but you know what I mean) makes so much sense. Yet we're persisting with Wally (who battles hard when the ball hits the ground but doesn't have the touch or pace) and a mix of resting mids. Saints in particular have gone all in on small forwards with Butler, Lonie and Higgins all influential in their win yesterday.

It's little wonder we only scored 69 points despite the mountain of inside 50s. I'm really hoping Cavarra and Weightman (and potentially Garcia when he's fit) can build some form and break their way in. We are desperate for that type of player to come good for us.

What happened with this? Did we go cold or did the saints up their offer? I think the former. I wasn't keen on him either but he's better than any small forward we've got. I suppose he isn't the small forward we're looking for though. Imagine how handy Butler, Higgins or Gresham would be for us. These teams have a plethora of them and we're dying for just one.

jeemak
22-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Didn't Lath kick two for us as a small pacey forward? I wasn't at the game, did he play high?

We also had McNeil playing as a small pacey forward, but he struggled as you might expect for a first gamer when he got his hands on it, but did manage to get into some good spots.

SquirrelGrip
22-03-2021, 11:56 AM
What happened with this? Did we go cold or did the saints up their offer? I think the former. I wasn't keen on him either but he's better than any small forward we've got. I suppose he isn't the small forward we're looking for though. Imagine how handy Butler, Higgins or Gresham would be for us. These teams have a plethora of them and we're dying for just one.

Don't get too far ahead. The Saints might have loaded up on small forwards but their midfield still has big question marks. We'll smash them in the phone box and the ball won't even get to their forward line. I really don't rate St Kilda at all and think they'll struggle to make the 8 this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Didn't Lath kick two for us as a small pacey forward? I wasn't at the game, did he play high?

Yeah he could potentially fill this role for us. I'm just not yet convinced that will be his role. I feel he'll play more on the wings/HFF rather than as that crumbing goal sneak. Time will tell. In any case, I really hope Lath can stay healthy. He's got the potential to really shake things up for us. He's a unique talent on our list.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Don't get too far ahead. The Saints might have loaded up on small forwards but their midfield still has big question marks. We'll smash them in the phone box and the ball won't even get to their forward line. I really don't rate St Kilda at all and think they'll struggle to make the 8 this year.

Big call. I see where you're coming from though. They've got some decent names in there: Steele, Crouch, Hannebery, Jones with Hill, Billings and Gresham complementing them but yeah it's unproven and perhaps 1 dimensional but it's a work in progress. Ours blow them out of the water for sure, but it did last season too and look what happened in the final (ie our forwards were hopeless and thier's took every opportunity. Their mids worked hard. Ours didn't really. They won.)

Twodogs
22-03-2021, 12:06 PM

Completely agree.

SquirrelGrip
22-03-2021, 12:09 PM
Of all those Saints mids, Steele and Hill are the only ones I'd be interested in - and even then, whose spot does Steele take?

I do agree with you that it is all about work-rate. On Friday watching from a row close to the front, I'd forgotten how hard Libba works at every contest. Bailey Smith's breakout game was really due to his work-rate - stopping goals at one end and tackling Pendlebury fiercely at the other. Hopefully the competition for spots with our mids will be won by those prepared to work the hardest.

comrade
22-03-2021, 12:12 PM

We also had McNeil playing as a small pacey forward, but he struggled as you might expect for a first gamer when he got his hands on it, but did manage to get into some good spots.

Vanders got just as much ball up field as he did inside 50. McNeil is also a similar type. Neither are the natural, pacy forwards that sides like Richmond, Sydney, Saints and Port have in abundance.

bornadog
22-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Yes Lath played the small forward role as did McNeil. Both have pace to burn and McNeil will learn from his experience.

I thought we locked the ball in our forward half really well, with Pies unable to break out.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Of all those Saints mids, Steele and Hill are the only ones I'd be interested in - and even then, whose spot does Steele take?

I do agree with you that it is all about work-rate. On Friday watching from a row close to the front, I'd forgotten how hard Libba works at every contest. Bailey Smith's breakout game was really due to his work-rate - stopping goals at one end and tackling Pendlebury fiercely at the other. Hopefully the competition for spots with our mids will be won by those prepared to work the hardest.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't replace any of their mids for ours. Well, at least not in a salary cap context. I mean, I'd take Steele over Dunkley but that wouldn't work for our cap. Would you take Steele over Macrae? Hill I suppose I shouldn't have said is a mid. He plays the wing and whilst he has excellent pace and skills, he can be a liability when he's choosing not to work hard and I've had enough of players like that. It's really just their small forwards that I envy.

comrade
22-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Yeah I agree, I wouldn't replace any of their mids for ours. Well, at least not in a salary cap context. I mean, I'd take Steele over Dunkley but that wouldn't work for our cap. Would you take Steele over Macrae? Hill I suppose I shouldn't have said is a mid. He plays the wing and whilst he has excellent pace and skills, he can be a liability when he's choosing not to work hard and I've had enough of players like that. It's really just their small forwards that I envy.

It's crazy we have players like Hayes and Roarke Smith on the list (how many one paced mids/flankers do we need) and haven't taken a swing on more speculative pacy small forward types. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had a few more developing at VFL level - has to be a priority for our recruiting team at this year's draft.

Happy Days
22-03-2021, 01:05 PM
It's crazy we have players like Hayes and Roarke Smith on the list (how many one paced mids/flankers do we need) and haven't taken a swing on more speculative pacy small forward types. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had a few more developing at VFL level - has to be a priority for our recruiting team at this year's draft.

Not to trot out this excuse again but I think we really did try to get some in this draft. Its been proven we were into Rowe and would’ve likely got him had Adelaide not been such cowards, we nominated Western from Freo’s NGA at the Bedendo pick, and obviously brought McNeil in (and played him in round one no less). We’re at least showing an awareness of it as an issue which is more than we’ve been able to say many times in the past.

Also you are very not wrong about it being crazy Smith and Hayes are still on our list.

jeemak
22-03-2021, 01:45 PM
I guess we prefer Wallis now, though if he starts to struggle which he may then it opens the door for a Cavarra, Weightman or West to play that role, noting that Jamarra is quick and could do some damage also.

Dry Rot
23-03-2021, 01:30 AM
I didn’t see any of the game Dry Rot. McDonald kicked 3. How did he look ?

Very good. McDonald looked like he was in his third season, not his first AFL game.

Bevo should show the team that game. Swans delivery into the forward line was very good - the opposite of ours.