Hawthorn vs Richmond MCG 1:10pm Fox

Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles Marvel Stadium 3:20pm Seven, Fox

Fremantle vs GWS Giants Optus Stadium 6:10pm Fox

Eastdog
22-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Bump

comrade
25-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Darcy Moore is in Brownlow medal type form to start the season. Absolute star.

GVGjr
25-03-2021, 09:35 PM
It's a good game again. The ball is moving fluently and is very watchable
Have the rule changes assisted?

jeemak
25-03-2021, 09:40 PM
If we play like this Sunday I'll be livid. Happy to watch opposition teams not defend each other but I don't want to see that from us.

Happy Days
25-03-2021, 09:41 PM
We might’ve got lucky that Bucks decided to burn half of De Goey’s game in the midfield last week.

jeemak
25-03-2021, 09:58 PM
We might’ve got lucky that Bucks decided to burn half of De Goey’s game in the midfield last week.

He'd have not seen it anyway, given we were completely smashing them in the middle.

bornadog
25-03-2021, 10:11 PM
If we play like this Sunday I'll be livid. Happy to watch opposition teams not defend each other but I don't want to see that from us.

No defending at all. Carlton/Richmond game was same

bornadog
25-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Deliberate rule is rubbish

jeemak
25-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Deliberate rule is rubbish

That's where you're wrong. Fans want to see their players kick to the opposition for a turnover rather than kick for touch (something you're clearly out of!).

:)

bornadog
25-03-2021, 10:31 PM
That's where you're wrong. Fans want to see their players kick to the opposition for a turnover rather than kick for touch (something you're clearly out of!).

:)

AFL have forgotten the ball is oval shaped and could bounce anywhere.

Grantysghost
26-03-2021, 01:10 AM
No defending at all. Carlton/Richmond game was same

Not sure why they haven't removed the goal keeper in the world game.
Surely we all want to see goals and only GOALS!
What's strategy and nuance? I fear we have all succumbed to the 20/20 mindset.... Damn you Tim Berners-Lee!

Topdog
26-03-2021, 09:09 AM
It's a good game again. The ball is moving fluently and is very watchable
Have the rule changes assisted?

It was a somewhat entertaining game but for me was far from a good game. 2 average sides letting each other do whatever they want.

The commentators seem desperate to sell the narrative that the rules are great but I just dont see it. Yesterday there was a goal and in the entire play the umpire never once actually told anyone to stand yet Brayshaw was saying it was the new rules that brought about the goal. It was in fact a terrible turnover by Collingwood giving the ball away to Saad who initiated a simple counter attack.

Is scoring even up on the very limited data that we have so far?

Really hope that people arent using 2020 to compare to.

mjp
26-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Yesterday there was a goal and in the entire play the umpire never once actually told anyone to stand yet Brayshaw was saying it was the new rules that brought about the goal. It was in fact a terrible turnover by Collingwood giving the ball away to Saad who initiated a simple counter attack.

I agree with this. The commentators have simply lost touch with what is going on in order to promote the 'look' of the game.

The early goal to McKay was a good example. Fisher was able to kick it to him because Howe fell over, not because he was 'in the corridor'. I can hear the olden day commentators now - "Fisher steps left, right, back to the left - he doesn't know what's he's doing - The umpire is sick of watching it and calls play on - OH, what's happened here - Howes' slipped over...you can't do that! You need to check those stops are working before you run out there son - Fisher steps back to his right and laces one out to McKay who is right where a good forward should be...in front of his man...Darcy Moore shakes his head in frustration but he knows he's done the wrong thing - get in front son".

In terms of the references to the speed of ball movement, it is - as per my earlier post about 'the new rules' - really (really) hard to coach. There is so much going on now and the umpires are both 'FREEZING' the man-on-the-mark AND calling play-on earlier...and so many of the cues that we have all been watching/learning over the past 'x-years' (insert your age for x) have become invalidated in a split second.

If you remember the major league baseball hitters trying to hit a softball pitcher 10-or-so years back (it's on youtube) you will know that they just couldn't do it...trying to teach defensive cues right now in a radically changed stop play situation is very (very) hard and it is going to take time.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 09:46 PM
Hipwood would drive me insane if I was a Lions supporter. Man he's missed one from the top of the square running into an open goal, he's missed set shots.

It's comforting to know there's supporters out there as infuriated with goal kicking as we seem to be.

comrade
26-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Brisbane has a very soft underbelly.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 10:41 PM
How is that not holding the ball against Guthrie? Bullshit home town decision, spun twice and then threw the ball. Unbelievable that it always seems that Selwood benefits from it.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 10:43 PM
And again.....reckon Libba would have gotten away with that? It's out of control.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Brisbane has a very soft underbelly.

If it wasn't for their shoddy kicking and some home town umpiring they'd be in front!

josie
26-03-2021, 10:57 PM
How is that not holding the ball against Guthrie? Bullshit home town decision, spun twice and then threw the ball. Unbelievable that it always seems that Selwood benefits from it.

Was about to post same thing. Lions hard done by with umps. Small town bias.

josie
26-03-2021, 10:59 PM
I just knew Daniher was going to fluff that goal. That and the non HTB critical moments for Lions.

comrade
26-03-2021, 11:04 PM
If it wasn't for their shoddy kicking and some home town umpiring they'd be in front!

If you can't beat Geelong without Danger, Duncan, Cameron and Menegola, you never will.

Watch Brisbane pile on 3 in no time now.

bornadog
26-03-2021, 11:09 PM
3 points in it, love to see Geelong lose this after leading the whole game

josie
26-03-2021, 11:09 PM
Go Brissy!!

merantau
26-03-2021, 11:19 PM
Joe Daniher - great to see! Go Lions!

merantau
26-03-2021, 11:21 PM
Bews misses. Suffer you flogs.

bornadog
26-03-2021, 11:25 PM
Biased umpiring from one end of the ground to the other

Topdog
26-03-2021, 11:30 PM
How the *!*!*!*! wasn't that HTB

bornadog
26-03-2021, 11:31 PM
Cheating umpires

jeemak
26-03-2021, 11:31 PM
Flat out cheating. *!*!*!*!ing cheating.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 11:32 PM
How the Guthrie one was missed and then that last one is just beyond a *!*!*!*!ing joke. I am so *!*!*!*!ing sick of it.

josie
Gutless umpiring. HTB - should have been a kick to win the game for Lions.

bulldogsthru&thru
Absolute blatant cheating

merantau
26-03-2021, 11:33 PM
That was a complete farce. Selwood gets such good run from the umps. Then the holding the ball decision that Blicavs got away with! Diabolical!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-03-2021, 11:34 PM
I've no soft spot for the Lions, despite living her for 36 years, but they just got unambiguously screwed by the umps.
That was textbook definition of incorrect disposal.

On the plus side, and I didnt think this possible, I now hate Geelong even more.

comrade
What a shocking non-call.

bulldogsthru&thru
Gutless umpiring. HTB - should have been a kick to win the game for Lions.

Gutless is indeed the word. Disgraceful.

Rocket Science
26-03-2021, 11:35 PM
You can overcome the Hand-baggers but you'll never overcome the parochial home town umpiring.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-03-2021, 11:36 PM
The ump who didn't call that, needs to be dropped to umpire Managatang 2nds matches.

bornadog
Flat out cheating. *!*!*!*!ing cheating.

Right in front of the umpire as well

The Bulldogs Bite
Of course Geelong end up on the right end of a woeful non call.

Watch their idiot coach bemoan the umpiring though.

jeemak
26-03-2021, 11:37 PM
Of course Geelong end up on the right end of a woeful non call.

Watch their idiot coach bemoan the umpiring though.

In over ten years there's not been a single decision he hasn't complained vehemently about!

The bulldog tragician
26-03-2021, 11:38 PM
Some decisions are iffy, but that was absolute textbook holding the ball, would have given Lions the match, but the umpire squibbed it completely

Hotdog60
26-03-2021, 11:39 PM
That decision and the Selwood blatant throw right in front of the ump.

Sedat
26-03-2021, 11:40 PM
Guthrie does a 360 degree turn in a tackle and throws the ball to a team-mate for a goal in the 3rd.
Blicavs stone-cold caught dropping it in the last 30 seconds and no obvious free given.

That's 2 absolute gift goals. I guess $300m from the tax-payer to build their pissant toy ground is not enough largesse for this piece of shit club.

Twodogs
26-03-2021, 11:41 PM
That was a complete farce. Selwood gets such good run from the umps. Then the holding the ball decision that Blicavs got away with! Diabolical!

And Dangerfield. I hate how during a contest the moment he hears the umpire's whistle he jumps to his feet and starts running backwards looking for the ball to be thrown to him.

bornadog
26-03-2021, 11:41 PM
In over ten years there's not been a single decision he hasn't complained vehemently about!

He has taught the players well, they constantly call for free kicks, especially Selwood who I hate so much

Grantysghost
26-03-2021, 11:46 PM
That's one of the all time worst missed free kicks. Can you imagine how apoplectic Chris Scott would've been on the flip side.

ratsmac
26-03-2021, 11:55 PM
I give up. That ground is enough of a leg up over the rest of the vic clubs and couple that with that sort of farcical umpiring, you can't win. It's basically a top 7 and not 8 because Geelong are gifted a spot every year.

EasternWest
27-03-2021, 12:26 AM
Guthrie does a 360 degree turn in a tackle and throws the ball to a team-mate for a goal in the 3rd.
Blicavs stone-cold caught dropping it in the last 30 seconds and no obvious free given.

That's 2 absolute gift goals. I guess $300m from the tax-payer to build their pissant toy ground is not enough largesse for this piece of shit club.

Hey you leave Marginal Park out of this.

FrediKanoute
27-03-2021, 04:24 AM
Gee Gary Rohan's round arm on Neale didn't look to great. Had shades of Barry Hall.....just not quite the connection. Behind play, off the ball.

Reckon Sellwood is in trouble too on the sling tackle. No damage done, but if the AFL is serious its about potential for damage as much as actual damage. Should be a week

merantau
27-03-2021, 06:47 AM
The ump who didn't call that, needs to be dropped to umpire Managatang 2nds matches.

I was thinking Grong-Grong Matong last night.

merantau
27-03-2021, 06:57 AM
I don't follow opposition teams closely but I have the impression - maybe wrong - that the player who laid the tackle on Blicavs was not a big name player. My theory is that if Joe Daniher or Lachie Neale had laid that tackle it would have been paid. But if it's an ekerish Joe Soap playing his 5th game after three years on the list - PLAY ON!!!

Can anyone enlighten me?

Sedat
27-03-2021, 09:14 AM
I don't follow opposition teams closely but I have the impression - maybe wrong - that the player who laid the tackle on Blicavs was not a big name player. My theory is that if Joe Daniher or Lachie Neale had laid that tackle it would have been paid. But if it's an ekerish Joe Soap playing his 5th game after three years on the list - PLAY ON!!!

Can anyone enlighten me?

It was Zac Bailey who is a terrific young player. Ironically he was pinged for HTB in D50 on a far more marginal decision 5 minutes earlier (Jed Bews sprayed the set shot out in the full).

The Blicavs and Guthrie non decisions were just dreadful. They are the ultimate case for the prosecution for those of us wanting to forever get rid of prior opportunity from the rule book.

hujsh
27-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Don't worry everyone, Chris Scott has seen the vision and said there was nothing in the Rowan altercation with Neale. Also Neale started it (his words). So we can put that to bed.

merantau
27-03-2021, 11:42 AM
It was Zac Bailey who is a terrific young player. Ironically he was pinged for HTB in D50 on a far more marginal decision 5 minutes earlier (Jed Bews sprayed the set shot out in the full).

The Blicavs and Guthrie non decisions were just dreadful. They are the ultimate case for the prosecution for those of us wanting to forever get rid of prior opportunity from the rule book.

Thanks Sedat. So my theory holds - twice. Zac Bailey pinged in very dubious decision - free kick Bews. Then Zac Bailey lays a game winning tackle against Blicavs - PLAY ON!! Putrid.

Note. Zac Bailey 36 games. Jed Bews 103 games Marc Blicavs 179 games

jeemak
27-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Don't worry everyone, Chris Scott has seen the vision and said there was nothing in the Rowan altercation with Neale. Also Neale started it (his words). So we can put that to bed.

The hubris and entitlement everyone from that shithole carries beggars belief. They're either not playing enough games at Geelong, or they're not playing enough at the MCG and should get more either way. They're either incredulous about some form of (in their mind) ill-perceived notion of unfairness, or an inability to turn a blind eye to their players being arseholes.

I'm completely sick of them.

angelopetraglia
27-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Still in complete shock that the Cats won that game of footy. They are truly blessed and Scott is a piece of work.

Happy Days
27-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Of all the guys to throw a punch. Gary Rohan? Really?

Surprised his hand didn’t shatter.

Grantysghost
27-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Here's video of the hit :

https://www.afl.com.au/video/570181/neale-down-after-rohan-row?videoId=570181&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1616751 210001

bornadog
27-03-2021, 02:51 PM
AFL admit free should have been given to Bailey.

josie
27-03-2021, 04:05 PM
AFL admit free should have been given to Bailey.

Bet if it was other way around Cats would have been paid it. Given video ref is there for goal decisions why not ask them for their input, especially if pay has stopped. I’d be livid if I was a lions fan.

comrade
27-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Swans are making out like bandits with this academy. Clubs need to start scouting the kids coming through and place early bids.

Grantysghost
27-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Swans are making out like bandits with this academy. Clubs need to start scouting the kids coming through and place early bids.

Helps when the one year they're crap they get a gift at number 4.

If the Crows fans didn't realise they'd screwed up with McDonald before, they do now.

Agree re academies they've absolutely hit the jackpot with those kids.
Heeney could be anything too, he's already an absolute jet.

comrade
27-03-2021, 05:34 PM
Helps when the one year they're crap they get a gift at number 4.

If the Crows fans didn't realise they'd screwed up with Mcdonald before, they do now.

Agree re academies they've absolutely hit the jackpot with those kids.
Heeney could be anything too, he's already an absolute jet.

Adelaide or North should have bid on Campbell, wiping them out and stopping the Swans from getting all 3 of Campbell, McDonald and Gulden. The kids coming through now have been in the academy since 10/11 years old and will continue to bear fruit. Clubs need to stop letting them get a free ride.

Grantysghost
27-03-2021, 05:51 PM
How long will Rutten last. They're staring down a 100 point loss here.
Shambles.

Rocket Science
27-03-2021, 05:54 PM
How long will Rutten last. They're staring down a 100 point loss here.
Shambles.

Port looking every bit like a team intent on eclipsing our 21 unanswered goals against Essington.

https://i.ibb.co/RY2xrPv/Screen-Shot-2021-03-27-at-4-53-48-PM.png (https://ibb.co/Ntx8DpV)

Grantysghost
27-03-2021, 05:59 PM
Port looking every bit like a team intent on eclipsing our 21 unanswered goals against Essington.

https://i.ibb.co/RY2xrPv/Screen-Shot-2021-03-27-at-4-53-48-PM.png (https://ibb.co/Ntx8DpV)

https://media.giphy.com/media/ffoUuIn1qRz7G/giphy.gif

Happy Days
27-03-2021, 06:27 PM
I respect Sydney. The Academy is obviously bullshit but they’re excellently run and excellently coached, and all of their players seem to always reach their potential. Happy to see them do well.

Plus their supporters were so nice to us in the GF week.

Twodogs
27-03-2021, 06:42 PM

Phew. Thank god for that because on appearances it appeared that Rohan deserved 3 weeks at least. I'm glad Chris Scott has it all sorted out and that he hasn't lost control of the playing group who appear to have completely lost any semblance of discipline the way it looks.

Bet if it was other way around Cats would have been paid it. Given video ref is there for goal decisions why not ask them for their input, especially if pay has stopped. I’d be livid if I was a lions fan.

Lucky that they chucked all the Lion fans out of the stadium before the game started then!

GVGjr
27-03-2021, 06:44 PM

Their players should have been bid on. McDonald (not an acadamy player), Campbell, Gulden and Warner look great additions.

comrade
27-03-2021, 06:47 PM
I respect Sydney. The Academy is obviously bullshit but they’re excellently run and excellently coached, and all of their players seem to always reach their potential. Happy to see them do well.

Yeah, I have nothing against them. They're simply utilising the system for their own advantage. The other clubs need to blunt the advantage.

Hotdog60
27-03-2021, 06:52 PM
I have a rule question.
Watching the Port v Bumbers game a player was tackled and caught holding the ball.
His team mate came along while the tackled player was getting up and stood the mark as the other player ran to defense.
I thought that you couldn't change on the mark and so the tackled player should have been the one standing.
I've noticed this a few times in current games so is that part relaxed or have I got it wrong?

bornadog
27-03-2021, 07:49 PM
I have a rule question.
Watching the Port v Bumbers game a player was tackled and caught holding the ball.
His team mate came along while the tackled player was getting up and stood the mark as the other player ran to defense.
I thought that you couldn't change on the mark and so the tackled player should have been the one standing.
I've noticed this a few times in current games so is that part relaxed or have I got it wrong?

I thought the same as you and haven't heard or read that it was changed.

Hotdog60
27-03-2021, 08:17 PM
I found this:
2 / Player Standing The Mark
The defending Player will only be permitted minimal lateral movement on The Mark. If the defending player moves off The Mark in any direction prior to "Play On" being called, a 50-metre penalty will apply. The defensive team is unable to substitute the Player on The Mark.

So I assume once a player stands the mark he cannot change so because the tackled player didn't actually man the mark the other player could stand the position.

Dry Rot
27-03-2021, 09:21 PM

Was the mighty Stringer playing?

Testekill
27-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Neither of these teams impresses me

jeemak
27-03-2021, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I have nothing against them. They're simply utilising the system for their own advantage. The other clubs need to blunt the advantage.

Look I kind of agree and disagree at the same time. They've been the most highly subsidised club in the history of the game and have had plenty of moments over time where they've taken the piss (or allowed to take the piss, i.e. COLA) and respond in a bellicose manner when people speak out against them.

Agree they were quite gracious in defeat for the most part, apart from the sooking about umpiring after the Grand Final and the subsequent game in 2017.

kruder
27-03-2021, 10:35 PM
If only Kosi Pickett slipped a few more places in the 19 draft would have been an awesome addition. That comment was 1 min before his last quarter goal so good tonight.;)

jeemak
27-03-2021, 10:42 PM
He's definitely looked lively, and the type we could use. As he matures he should tidy up things a bit as well.

Overall this has been a pretty choppy game skills wise, at one stage in the third both teams were just butchering it non-stop.

jeemak
27-03-2021, 11:07 PM
Zac Jones is a great candidate as the poster boy of average footballers who have a decent year at a new club and stink it up thereafter. Might be going early with him but I've just never rated him.

Tonight was a great example of why having small quick forwards is only great if you can use the ball quickly to get it into their hands and have a system that consistently enables it. Butler, Higgins and Lonie were all shite tonight.

bornadog
27-03-2021, 11:44 PM
GC ten goals up against North.

Happy Days
28-03-2021, 09:14 AM
If only Kosi Pickett slipped a few more places in the 19 draft would have been an awesome addition. That comment was 1 min before his last quarter goal so good tonight.;)

If only we didn’t snitch on ourselves and make it known we were going to take him first you mean. We just get way too excited sometimes.

Bulldog Joe
28-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Gee Gary Rohan's round arm on Neale didn't look to great. Had shades of Barry Hall.....just not quite the connection. Behind play, off the ball.

Reckon Sellwood is in trouble too on the sling tackle. No damage done, but if the AFL is serious its about potential for damage as much as actual damage. Should be a week

Won't this now be addressed somewhat with the rule changes for round 1 selection.

It will be a great outcome if a rule specifically brought in because of us (JUH) actually gives more equality to everyone.

comrade
28-03-2021, 11:26 AM
Won't this now be addressed somewhat with the rule changes for round 1 selection.

It will be a great outcome if a rule specifically brought in because of us (JUH) actually gives more equality to everyone.

I believe the rules only apply to NGA prospects, not the Northern academies set up to grow the game up there.

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Was the mighty Stringer playing?

He sure was ... in the magoos.

Others will need to attest though whether he was borderline banging the door down.

comrade
28-03-2021, 12:36 PM
He sure was ... in the magoos.

Others will need to attest though whether he was borderline banging the door down.

Wasn’t overly impressive but I assume he was just coasting to get through the game. Did get his customary over the back major from the goal square which was nostalgic.

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Just watching a bit of the Hawks / Tigers game and Martin is doing what he likes again.
I was thinking when our turn comes to play Martin who do we put on him?
Could we try The Dutchman? He has speed and aggression seems to tackle well I don't know how he would go when Martin is resting forward.
Our backs wouldn't be able to go with him unless we go with Duryea or Crozier but he could be too agile.
The third option would be for Cordy to put a knee in the back of his head so he gets a two week break.

jeemak
28-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Oh shit that's right, Dwayne Russel. Completely forgot.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Oh shit that's right, Dwayne Russel. Completely forgot.

yeah... its not good.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 08:45 PM
Poor effort so far by GWS. Given their depth of top end talent this one might hurt them.

jeemak
28-03-2021, 09:12 PM
Sam Reid has just collected Fyfe with a huge hip and shoulder. It's going to be a couple weeks you'd think, got him on the blind side like the old days.

comrade
28-03-2021, 09:24 PM
Sam Reid has just collected Fyfe with a huge hip and shoulder. It's going to be a couple weeks you'd think, got him on the blind side like the old days.

Probably a few weeks out for Fyfe too.