Adelaide Crows vs Fremantle Adelaide Oval 1:10pm Fox

Hawthorn vs Melbourne MCG 3:20pm Seven, Fox

Geelong Cats vs North Melbourne GMHBA Stadium 4:40pm Fox

Eastdog
12-04-2021, 12:21 AM
Bump

comrade
15-04-2021, 08:57 PM
Good start to the Tigers/Saints game but bloody hell, it's being over-umpired. 14 free kicks paid by quarter time.

bornadog
15-04-2021, 09:48 PM
Will Saints be smashed by end of the game? Looking like it, unless they can do something in the third.

EasternWest
15-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Will Saints be smashed by end of the game? Looking like it, unless they can do something in the third.

Richmond are barely in 3rd gear.

Grantysghost
15-04-2021, 10:04 PM
How did they beat the Eagles?

Rocket Science
15-04-2021, 10:06 PM
How did they beat the Eagles?

More to the point, how did they beat us?

Topdog
15-04-2021, 10:28 PM
More to the point, how did they beat us?

We know how they beat us, we didn't lay a bloody tackle.

Embarrassing 3rd qtr that

MrMahatma
15-04-2021, 11:06 PM
Reckon that almost rules them out of contention. 86 points is a bashing.

Tigers looked as good. Still the team to beat.

bornadog
15-04-2021, 11:24 PM

Essendon beat them by 75 points

macca
15-04-2021, 11:30 PM

David king drooling ... best team ever....
:p

bornadog
15-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Did anyone like Marlon Pickett in the ruck tonight?

comrade
16-04-2021, 12:01 AM

It worked a few times against Paul Hunter and Jake Carlisle. He actually has a pretty good vertical leap and got his hand to some decent taps. Saints mids were atrocious though.

Dry Rot
16-04-2021, 02:22 AM
How much per year combined are Saints paying Hill, Crouch, Carlisle and Hannebery?

EasternWest
16-04-2021, 09:58 AM

I was surprised by his hops. When he got a run at it he was right up there.

Happy Days
16-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Pickett was fine but the guy that the Saints were running with was Bruton level.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2021, 10:26 AM
This was basically what I expected from the Saints when they started this recruitment drive. A spike in performance but ultimately falling well short of being a contender.

I think sides are playing them better and NOT letting them get the 'over the back/forward of the ball' goals they were last year. As a result, they are getting hammered around the contest and look putrid defensively.

The recruitment of Hanners was always stupid, he's been cooked since the 2016 GF after the incident with Wood. Crouch is bog average and Hill is cream, but it does surprise me how much he's struggled last year and this year.

azabob
16-04-2021, 10:28 AM
Pickett was fine but the guy that the Saints were running with was Bruton level.

Marshall is their most important player and without him they really struggle. Mind you he wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 10:48 AM
This was basically what I expected from the Saints when they started this recruitment drive. A spike in performance but ultimately falling well short of being a contender.

I think sides are playing them better and NOT letting them get the 'over the back/forward of the ball' goals they were last year. As a result, they are getting hammered around the contest and look putrid defensively.

The recruitment of Hanners was always stupid, he's been cooked since the 2016 GF after the incident with Wood. Crouch is bog average and Hill is cream, but it does surprise me how much he's struggled last year and this year.

A lot of people were praising them last year with the trades they brought in but as you say, some of these guys were cooked before they got there. Brad Hill is the biggest disappointment, and for me overrated.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2021, 11:11 AM

I was the same. And its not just the acquisitions from last year. Going back Hannebery, and even in 2016 they traded their 1st round pick which was a top 10 pick.
They've traded heavily for players that will give the club an on field boost, but ultimately don't fit into a cohesive longer term plan that positions them for a tilt at the flag.

None of Hill, Hannebery or Carlisle will be there when they can expect to challenge for a flag.
They had an opportunity to rebuild when they first appointed Ratten, and instead chose to go the Michael Voss Brisbane Lions approach. I think they're in for some pain over the next few years.

SquirrelGrip
16-04-2021, 11:35 AM
They had an opportunity to rebuild when they first appointed Ratten, and instead chose to go the Michael Voss Brisbane Lions approach. I think they're in for some pain over the next few years.

Love it. Couldn’t happen to a better club. I do hate the Aints.

Mantis
16-04-2021, 12:04 PM
I was the same. And its not just the acquisitions from last year. Going back Hannebery, and even in 2016 they traded their 1st round pick which was a top 10 pick.
They've traded heavily for players that will give the club an on field boost, but ultimately don't fit into a cohesive longer term plan that positions them for a tilt at the flag.

None of Hill, Hannebery or Carlisle will be there when they can expect to challenge for a flag.

They have added some young talent to the list over the past few years (Clark, Coffield*, King) and a few of their trade acquisitions are long termers (Howard & Butler) so it isn't totally sell your farm stage, but quite a few list mgt. decisions look puzzling based on output so far.

Hannebery & Ryder torched us in the EF last year so when on the park their output is still there, but for reasons known that part is missing.

* Thinking in hindsight they should have selected a high marking WA lad with this selection. ;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2021, 12:08 PM
Love it. Couldn’t happen to a better club. I do hate the Aints.

I have mixed feelings about them. I could relate with them and their fans as a kid, when we were both inconsequential clubs.
From the Grant Thomas days through to Ross Lyon I think a bit of a rivalry began to be cultivated as we both were striving for success.
I have two very good friends who are Saints fans... and over the past few years I've queried their club's list and recruiting decisions, but they have disagreed, or at least justify why they've pursued this approach over bottoming out and rebuilding. They both think that the club was so low during Richardson's era that the clubs needed a bump to keep supporters on board... I think its a false premise, especially if all it does is just put off the inevitable and they end up needing to do a full rebuild anyway.

Grantysghost
16-04-2021, 12:24 PM
They have added some young talent to the list over the past few years (Clark, Coffield*, King) and a few of their trade acquisitions are long termers (Howard & Butler) so it isn't totally sell your farm stage, but quite a few list mgt. decisions look puzzling based on output so far.

Hannebery & Ryder torched us in the EF last year so when on the park their output is still there, but for reasons known that part is missing.

* Thinking in hindsight they should have selected a high marking WA lad with this selection. ;)

Apparently they have the oldest list in the league, I was slightly shocked by that. I guess they have some older guys that skew the stats.

Mofra
16-04-2021, 12:28 PM
We're paying Treloar 2/3rds of what the saints are paying Brad Hill.
This makes me happy.

Mofra
16-04-2021, 12:29 PM
Billings just before Bontempelli would have to sting as well.

Grantysghost
16-04-2021, 12:54 PM

McCartin before Petracca at 1. Hindsight and all that but they've become the new Tigers in that regard.

Happy Days
16-04-2021, 01:23 PM

I think they’re still pretending that Billings is good enough to not have to think about what they missed out on. You know, like we did with Griffen over Buddy.

The Adelaide Connection
16-04-2021, 01:24 PM

Dan Butler was phenomenal for most of last year but I wondered how much “new club dead cat bounce” there was about it.

To be fair I think he is a good average player (and overall one of their better acquisitions), but I don’t think they can rely on him being the AA contending, second in the B&F world beater each year that they need. He has certainly been anything but that so far this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-04-2021, 02:32 PM

This looked fairly obvious last season. They like playing one way and one way only. The games they won they had the majority of goals kicked from around the goal square. What I don't understand is why it takes AFL clubs so long to adjust to a teams strategy. The only team I saw last season play against the saints with an intention to stop their style was Geelong. And they absolutely belted them. Another reason I was so disappointed with our loss to them in the finals. We let them play exactly how they wanted to. Come to think of it, I can't remember a time in recent history where the saints actually beat us. We always let them beat us.

Mofra
16-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Dan Butler was phenomenal for most of last year but I wondered how much “new club dead cat bounce” there was about it.

To be fair I think he is a good average player (and overall one of their better acquisitions), but I don’t think they can rely on him being the AA contending, second in the B&F world beater each year that they need. He has certainly been anything but that so far this year.
Small forward is a really tough position in a side that isn't going well. hey only had something like 45 inside 50s which makes it even more difficult if you're a crumber not a marker.

The Adelaide Connection
16-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Small forward is a really tough position in a side that isn't going well. hey only had something like 45 inside 50s which makes it even more difficult if you're a crumber not a marker.

Agree that circumstances have contributed, but I always thought he would come back to the pack a little. He was probably close to the AA small forward last year and he didn't hit those heights when he was at Richmond.

comrade
16-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Finn Macrae is like a carbon copy of his brother.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Pies 3 talls forward look dangerous.

Helps that their midfield wins the battle, but that's the name of the game of footy in general this year. 3 talls is back in vogue, it's all about midfield dominance more than ever.

macca
16-04-2021, 11:53 PM
Pies are trying to make a game of it but its their second efforts and butchering the ball that is killing them. Looks like a 5 goal lost. Buckley needs to play the kids now and see what else is on his list.

Moore been good and tried hard all night. We should go hard for him next year. Imagine having a team with Naughton and Moore being able to swap them around at each end. It could create nightmares for opposition.

Gee Oscar Allan can take a grab, he looks like a real athlete.

bornadog
17-04-2021, 12:19 AM
Pies are trying to make a game of it but its their second efforts and butchering the ball that is killing them. Looks like a 5 goal lost. Buckley needs to play the kids now and see what else is on his list.

Moore been good and tried hard all night. We should go hard for him next year. Imagine having a team with Naughton and Moore being able to swap them around at each end. It could create nightmares for opposition.

Gee Oscar Allan can take a grab, he looks like a real athlete.

Moore has just signed a huge contract and one of the reasons why they couldn't hold on to Treloar

macca
17-04-2021, 01:29 AM
Moore has just signed a huge contract and one of the reasons why they couldn't hold on to Treloar

Your right , well north of 800K until end of 2022, no wonder they had to get rid of Treloar. De goey also got 200K more. I do not think this is over. Never say never... anything could happen....

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/darcy-moore-set-to-sign-monster-extension-at-collingwood-c-1384291

EasternWest
17-04-2021, 09:52 AM

And besides, if we got Moore to break his contract for a higher offer there'd be questions marks over his character and commitment :).

DOG GOD
17-04-2021, 08:19 PM
GWS come from behind to snatch it against the swans. Buddy’s 5.0 wasn’t enough. Greene’s 1.7 almost cost them.
Himmelburg (2 goals), Finlayson (2 goals) and Greene (1.7) will be a handful .

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Despite a mostly decent start to the season, the umpiring has been woeful this round. Decisions in the Lions Bombers game are awful after seeing some horrendous calls from our game.

whythelongface
18-04-2021, 06:14 PM
North up at qtr time by 10 at the fortress that is GMHBA stadium. Doubt it will stay that but great work by Norf at the Cattery

comrade
18-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Melbourne have looked pretty average against an impotent Hawks side. Will need to really use our overlapping handball game against the Demons and hit the short kick inside 50. Lever just stands by himself waiting for the high ball all game.

jeemak
18-04-2021, 06:26 PM
Jiath's seemingly able to run 25m without bouncing it. Good for him.

bornadog
18-04-2021, 06:27 PM
Melbourne struggling to put Hawks away.

bornadog
18-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Melbourne struggling to put Hawks away.

Spoke too soon

Topdog
18-04-2021, 06:43 PM
Low scoring round

comrade
18-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Melbourne do the basics very well, I'll give them that. It'll take them a fair way this season.

jeemak
18-04-2021, 06:56 PM
I actually think Melbourne's been just as impressive if not a little more impressive than we have been.

bornadog
18-04-2021, 06:58 PM
I actually think Melbourne's been just as impressive if not a little more impressive than we have been.

Dockers, Giants, Cats, Saints and Hawks?

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Anyone else get the feeling the Tigers are going to walk it in this season? I feel like the competition is down across the board.
Melbourne 5 - 0 I mean crikey. Cats struggling against Norf.

Tigers, Eagles, Port maybe us then anyone. Very early though.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 07:01 PM

They've got Tigers next week first real test.

bornadog
18-04-2021, 07:01 PM
They've got Tigers next week first real test.

Should be a good game

comrade
18-04-2021, 07:07 PM
Melbourne are crushing everyone in the final quarter. A very fit footy side right now.

jeemak
18-04-2021, 07:16 PM

Pies, Eagles (at home), Kangaroos, Lions (at home) and Suns?

I really don't know who's faced the more stern opposition. Have we been more settled on the personnel front?

GVGjr
18-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Melbourne do the basics very well, I'll give them that. It'll take them a fair way this season.

They're going to be one of the teams to beat.

1eyedog
18-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Melbourne are crushing everyone in the final quarter. A very fit footy side right now.

Do we play them at the G or Marvel?

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 07:36 PM
Do we play them at the G or Marvel?

Both. Marvel first Rd 11, then G Rd 20.

Grantysghost
18-04-2021, 07:45 PM
They're going to be one of the teams to beat.

They've got a decent draw too. Think it was ranked the easiest.

comrade
18-04-2021, 07:49 PM
They've got a decent draw too. Think it was ranked the easiest.

It's marshmallow soft.

Mantis
18-04-2021, 07:54 PM

Yep.. there was an interesting article this week discussing the TOG stats for Melb. About 6 players of their players are averaging over 90% TOG which allows them to rotate the rest more actively meaning they can run games out strongly. As a counter I'm reasonably sure we only have one. (Keath)

whythelongface
18-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Anyone else get the feeling the Tigers are going to walk it in this season? I feel like the competition is down across the board.

Agree that the comp feels weaker. Don’t think the Tigers are a shoe in - us, Port, Eagles (still think they have something to offe) and maybe Dees will throw down a challenge

GVGjr
18-04-2021, 09:11 PM
Melbourne 5 - 0 I mean crikey. Cats struggling against Norf.

Tigers, Eagles, Port maybe us then anyone. Very early though.

At the end of round 5 there are a lot of teams still in the mix.

Richmond and Port are the standouts from my perspective. West Coast, Melbourne and of course us are right in the mix and Geelong and Brisbane should get better.

I think it will all start to become a lot clearer at the end of round 7.

Topdog
18-04-2021, 11:20 PM
I mean you can't count them out but Geelong look bang average

boydogs
19-04-2021, 12:10 AM
Bailey Williams was the only thing that stopped the Eagles rolling us at home, don't count them out, nor the Lions who got stuck in Vic. Richmond, Port, us and Melbourne will be in the mix

1eyedog
19-04-2021, 11:17 AM
At the end of round 5 there are a lot of teams still in the mix.

Richmond and Port are the standouts from my perspective. West Coast, Melbourne and of course us are right in the mix and Geelong and Brisbane should get better.

I think it will all start to become a lot clearer at the end of round 7.

We're the standouts. It's the first time since the early 90s that it has felt like we are the best team in the competition and the ones to beat.

Mofra
19-04-2021, 11:40 AM
Their first mid rotation (Brawshaw / Oliver / Petracca) is the form rotation in the competition though.
We bat deeper.

comrade
19-04-2021, 11:51 AM
Their first mid rotation (Brawshaw / Oliver / Petracca) is the form rotation in the competition though.
We bat deeper.

Yeah, if one of them goes down, it’ll cause some issues. Their depth hasn’t really been tested (neither has ours) so they’re still a wait and see for me, but have a lot going for them (cushy draw, mature team, MCG home ground). Similar vibes to Richmond 2017.

Grantysghost
19-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Yeah, if one of them goes down, it’ll cause some issues. Their depth hasn’t really been tested (neither has ours) so they’re still a wait and see for me, but have a lot going for them (cushy draw, mature team, MCG home ground). Similar vibes to Richmond 2017.

I'm still on the fence. Their midfield is good but doesn't always perform well when they need to defend. Also their ground ball stuff still has a question mark for me. Great in the air no doubt.

I'm thinking the Tigers might like to take them down a notch this week.

FrediKanoute
19-04-2021, 04:55 PM
We're the standouts. It's the first time since the early 90s that it has felt like we are the best team in the competition and the ones to beat.

I think Melbourne are the standouts. We are travelling beautifully and can't really fault us, but I think Melbourne are the team this year to beat. Dynamic is the term I would use.