Margin:
Our first goal:
Our best on ground:

Eastdog
22-03-2021, 10:39 PM
Bump

Eastdog
22-03-2021, 10:39 PM
Will be redeeming my ticket tomorrow silver member for our first home game for 2021. Crowd capacity could be 75% of Marvel and the G tomorrow which will allow more fans into the games.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Will be redeeming my ticket tomorrow silver member for our first home game for 2021. Crowd capacity could be 75% of Marvel and the G tomorrow which will allow more fans into the games.

Official now, crowd capacity has been increased to 75%

Eastdog
23-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Official now, crowd capacity has been increased to 75%

Great news!

bornadog
23-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Dogs by 33
First Goal: Wallis
BOG: Bont

Eastdog
23-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Margin: Dogs by 27 points

First goal: Bruce

Best on ground: Libba

Vred
23-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Margin: Dogs by 26
Our first goal: Vandermeer
Our best on ground: Libba

FrediKanoute
23-03-2021, 11:11 PM
Margin: WCE by 11 (sorry, but they looked good on the weekend and I am not convinced we are as clinical as they are in finishing)
Our first goal: Bruce
Our best on ground: Macrae

jeemak
24-03-2021, 01:20 AM
I'm running a massive Big Kev vibe for this game, in fact, I can't believe I have to wait until Sunday afternoon to see it.

Melbourne came with a massive asterisk next to it because of who they were missing from their midfield, so it wasn't the greatest test. Collingwood did as well, but we despatched them thoroughly albeit not on the scoreboard whilst never being truly threatened.

West Coast if they show up are a genuine top six contender challenge for us. And I really hope they show up and give us hell so we can show whether we are serious. If they do a loss will be stomached depending on how we lose, however, a win will be a fantastic start for us to build some confidence upon.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2021, 09:48 AM
This one really loom as a litmus test for where we sit.
WE need to learn fast from the issues we still had last week with our forward entries.
We were somewhat fortunate Collingwood did not have the personnel further up the field to capitalise on all of the easy ball Darcy Moore was getting from our sloppy and ill-thought out forward entries. West Coast will murder us if we don't dramatically improve with this aspect on Sunday.

comrade
24-03-2021, 12:30 PM
West Coast are travelling to a ground they historically perform poorly at, after a decent slog in 30+ degree heat. It's really set up for us to win, but as others have said, our inside 50 entries will be the key.

I just watched the 2016 Libba highlights in his 150 game thread and it was shocking how open and free flowing our forward half was during the period. A bit more of that would be very welcome.

Danjul
24-03-2021, 01:27 PM
it was shocking how open and free flowing our forward half was during the period. A bit more of that would be very welcome.
Look at what causes the log jam.

In that era nobody took a great mark 70 metres from goal and then slowly walked back 20 metres and did a nice 15 metre pass.

All that does is give the opposition time to man up. But it is an important part of our game strategy. See it at least 10 times a match.

bornadog
24-03-2021, 02:24 PM

In that era nobody took a great mark 70 metres from goal and then slowly walked back 20 metres and did a nice 15 metre pass.

All that does is give the opposition time to man up. But it is an important part of our game strategy. See it at least 10 times a match.

The opposition are flooding our forward half due to not being able to get the ball past the centre. We have a high amount of inside 50s, although the entries are not always pretty, the opposition is surging forward to get their hands on the ball and stop us kicking goals. Often this will result in a goal for them out the back, but it is a risk we take.

Yes, we need to enter the forward line quicker before they have time to flood it, but if we miss a target and turn the ball over, we then lock it in and they have time to flood.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 02:42 PM
The thing I find a little bemusing at times is lacking some tempo.
I've got a mate who does casual opposition analysis for an AFL side and the default defence against us is to get numbers back force a turnover (usually on the handball) or intercept mark and slingshot out. All teams do it, we know it.
I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be an idea to mix up your tempo more often instead of constantly banging your head against a stacked defence.
I reckon we have the foot skills in the team to take a bit more time.
I'm hoping to see more of that this season, but maybe there's something im missing!

Axe Man
24-03-2021, 02:46 PM

The players need to read the state of the game and where/how many bulldogs players and opposition players are in the forward 50.

There were times against the Pies where we were certainly too cautious and slow to move the ball, but it was somewhat understandable given haphazard entries (like when Naughton played on and kicked to Bailey Smith v 3 Pies players resulting in their first goal at the other end) are very risky when you have the likes of Moore and Howe picking them off.

There are times to hit the accelerator and times to hold things up. Decision making is key.

comrade
24-03-2021, 02:49 PM
I've got a mate who does casual opposition analysis for an AFL side and the default defence against us is to get numbers back force a turnover (usually on the handball) or intercept mark and slingshot out. All teams do it, we know it.
I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be an idea to mix up your tempo more often instead of constantly banging your head against a stacked defence.
I reckon we have the foot skills in the team to take a bit more time.
I'm hoping to see more of that this season, but maybe there's something im missing!

Chris Scott perfected this against us years ago, and other teams followed suit. Tom Stewart sleeps in the change rooms before playing against our forwards, he's that excited for the game.

When it is clogged up, we really need to switch gears and retain the ball through short kicking and then try and get the likes of Williams (or JJ when he's back) to load up from around the 50 rather than just pop it high to our outnumbered forwards.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 02:50 PM
The players need to read the state of the game and where/how many bulldogs players and opposition players are in the forward 50.

There were times against the Pies where we were certainly too cautious and slow to move the ball, but it was somewhat understandable given haphazard entries (like when Naughton played on and kicked to Bailey Smith v 3 Pies players resulting in their first goal at the other end) are very risky when you have the likes of Moore and Howe picking them off.

There are times to hit the accelerator and times to hold things up. Decision making is key.

You've articulated my point better than I could. That decision to go fast or go slow reading the game situation in that instance.
Are we below average in our footy iq? Libba is the dux of the class.
I get Bevo wants to get it in fast and keep it in there, but I'm worried that the new kick out rules combined with our high press / lock it inside 50 means I'll be left with no hair after the 10th goal out the back.

Axe Man
24-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Margin: WCE by 11 (sorry, but they looked good on the weekend and I am not convinced we are as clinical as they are in finishing)
Our first goal: Bruce
Our best on ground: Macrae

I didn't watch the game but didn't West Coast battle to overcome a Gold Coast team that lost Rowell early on their home deck where they rarely lose? A couple of late goals seems to have flattered them a little.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 02:56 PM
To keep it on thread :
Dogs by 30
FG McNeil
BOG Treloar.

EasternWest
24-03-2021, 03:13 PM
I've got a mate

https://i.postimg.cc/cJ3qWQr9/stop.gif (https://postimages.org/)

jeemak
24-03-2021, 03:26 PM
I think we choose the lesser of two evils a lot of the time, because we simply don't trust the skills of our personnel to kick the ball around in our defencive half and stretch out the defencive zone.

Whether that's right or fair, I don't know. I mean I am confident in Williams, Daniel, JJ and now Dale I suppose, but the likes of Wood, Cordy, Keath and Gardner being relied upon to share the ball around behind centre kind of freaks me out a bit.

comrade
24-03-2021, 03:28 PM
Whether that's right or fair, I don't know. I mean I am confident in Williams, Daniel, JJ and now Dale I suppose, but the likes of Wood, Cordy, Keath and Gardner being relied upon to share the ball around behind centre kind of freaks me out a bit.

Yeah, that's valid. Keath isn't a bad kick and even he completely muffed an easy 15m pass last week. It's probably one of the reasons Dale has been sent back, another penetrating kick coming out of our defensive half.

bornadog
24-03-2021, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's valid. Keath isn't a bad kick and even he completely muffed an easy 15m pass last week. It's probably one of the reasons Dale has been sent back, another penetrating kick coming out of our defensive half.

I think Scott is a very good kick as well and I can see why Bevo has put him there.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 03:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/cJ3qWQr9/stop.gif (https://postimages.org/)

It's true, we often spend time away at the farm, roasting marshmallows, talking about our netballing wives; you know, pretty much just being habs.

comrade
24-03-2021, 03:38 PM
I think Scott is a very good kick as well and I can see why Bevo has put him there.

He seems tidy enough skill wise but his decision making wasn't great at times. I counted at least 2 or 3 times he kicked to an outnumbered forward contest that Moore just gobbled up. He gets some slack for being on debut, hopefully he can clean up those errors as it looks like Bevo is backing him in to play more games.

JohnGentStand
24-03-2021, 05:51 PM
I think we are up against it defensively this week. Kennedy, Darling & Allen are all tough opponents. Add in Cripps who is a competent small....and LIAM RYAN who is a frreakinj jet! and its a big ask. I expect our mids to get plenty, but can we keep it away from Barrass & Guv?? It's our Achilles heel. If we can keep the pace on the game a win is possible - we are slick :) , but if ball movement is slow we better clunk a couple. Misty-optically tipping dogs by 14. Wally 1st goal. BOG Da Bont.

comrade
24-03-2021, 05:58 PM
I think we are up against it defensively this week. Kennedy, Darling & Allen are all tough opponents. Add in Cripps who is a competent small....and LIAM RYAN who is a frreakinj jet! and its a big ask. I expect our mids to get plenty, but can we keep it away from Barrass & Guv?? It's our Achilles heel. If we can keep the pace on the game a win is possible - we are slick :) , but if ball movement is slow we better clunk a couple. Misty-optically tipping dogs by 14. Wally 1st goal. BOG Da Bont.

On the flip side, Daniel/Williams/Duryea/Dale should provide us with some good run if we're able to neutralise the high balls. Will be interesting to see if they play NicNat and Vardy plus the other 3 talls, it means they are very top heavy and with limited rotations, we should have some run advantage, especially later in the game.

I'm fairly bullish on this one.

Axe Man
24-03-2021, 06:11 PM
On the flip side, Daniel/Williams/Duryea/Dale should provide us with some good run if we're able to neutralise the high balls. Will be interesting to see if they play NicNat and Vardy plus the other 3 talls, it means they are very top heavy and with limited rotations, we should have some run advantage, especially later in the game.

I'm fairly bullish on this one.

The problem they have is Nic Nat can only play something like 65% game time now the quarters are back to full length. That leaves a lot of ruck time to be picked up by the backup ruckman. If they use a part-timer they risk being dominated in the ruck for significant chunks of the game (aka us the last few seasons), or they play a backup ruck like Vardy and lose run and rotations. Either way we are finally in a position to take advantage.

comrade
24-03-2021, 06:18 PM
The problem they have is Nic Nat can only play something like 65% game time now the quarters are back to full length. That leaves a lot of ruck time to be picked up by the backup ruckman. If they use a part-timer they risk being dominated in the ruck for significant chunks of the game (aka us the last few seasons), or they play a backup ruck like Vardy and lose run and rotations. Either way we are finally in a position to take advantage.

They could play Allen in the ruck but that then negates their aerial advantage up forward. It's a dilemma for them and agree, we can take advantage. Having Martin being capable of blunting the opposition's main ruck with English providing a threat both up forward and around the ground is so handy, while also providing a genuine ruck chop out is such a relief.

DOG GOD
24-03-2021, 07:01 PM
Every time we play these guys it’s these 3 that concern me, for obvious reasons....

Nic Nat
Kennedy
Darling

+ Allen

If these are on song, it’s gonna be a struggle defensively, as I am nowhere near convinced of Gardner, Keath and Williams playing as our defensive talls.

We should break even against their mids, to hopefully get first use of the ball, but what I don’t want to see (but expect to see) is us bombing into our 50 allowing Barrass and McGovern countless uncontested marks. I’d almost be inclined to drubb the balls along the ground and get pace skittled in our 50, taking their marking out of the equation. I’ll be shocked if Naughton/Bruce outmark them.

Should be a good game. Hopefully we can play 4 quarters of tough, competitive football, but I’m thinking their tall fwds might be enough to get them over the line.

WC by 11 points
1st goal - vanders
Bog- libba

FrediKanoute
25-03-2021, 02:15 AM
I didn't watch the game but didn't West Coast battle to overcome a Gold Coast team that lost Rowell early on their home deck where they rarely lose? A couple of late goals seems to have flattered them a little.

Maybe a bit of an arm wrestle for 3 quarters, but WCE look like winning a long way out. If anything scoreboard flattered GCS for 3 quarters. There only looked like being one winner.

jeemak
25-03-2021, 02:26 AM
Maybe a bit of an arm wrestle for 3 quarters, but WCE look like winning a long way out. If anything scoreboard flattered GCS for 3 quarters. There only looked like being one winner.

A bit like Friday night's scoreboard flattered Collingwood. Reality was they were never really in it.

Happy Days
25-03-2021, 09:19 AM
A bit like Friday night's scoreboard flattered Collingwood. Reality was they were never really in it.

Agree with this. They restricted our forward 50 entries by pushing a ton of guys back, meaning our entries were either very shallow or turnovers. Would’ve been an admirable strategy if they had’ve kicked the first three goals instead of us, but I guess winning isn’t for everyone.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Dogs by 31 points. Can’t see us letting this one drop. Eagles don’t travel well and of course it’s Libbas milestone game.

1eyedog
26-03-2021, 09:46 AM
Bulldogs by 51 points
Daniel BOG
Bruce first major

mjp
26-03-2021, 10:32 AM
Eagles don’t travel well...

Really?

"The Eagles have won 31 of 41 games in Western Australia since Adam Simpson became coach, while winning 17 of 34 games outside of their home state."

That quote is a couple of years old now but West Coast have - over their history - been pretty darn good at winning games full-stop...

Mofra
26-03-2021, 11:28 AM
Yeo and Shuey out are huge. If those guys play, I'd be tipping the Eagles as they have three legitimate tall threats and unlike Williams vs Cox (or Gilbee vs the resting ruck back in the day) you can't just block the odd launch at a F50 entry then run off them.

Hopefully we watched a lot of Moore vision in the game review and worked out how to direct our F50 entries away from opposition elite interceptors. In our most famous WCE victory in the 2016 elimination final we sacrificed Cordy to play a negating role on McGovern - would Naughton, Bruce or English do that? The guy is just that good.

If we're smart enough to find that extra runner to overlap and delivery the ball cleanly, we win. If we kick under pressure, we lose.

SquirrelGrip
26-03-2021, 02:45 PM
Dogs by 33
First goal: Laith
BOG: Bont

Axe Man
26-03-2021, 03:05 PM
Not sure this would worry us too much. If they decide to sit on one of our midfielders we've got plenty of others to pick up the slack.

Eagles eye a Dog tag: Why Simmo wants to collar Bont and co. (https://www.afl.com.au/news/569269/eagles-eye-a-dog-tag-why-simmo-wants-to-collar-bont-and-co)

WEST Coast will consider starting Sunday's clash against the Western Bulldogs with a tagger as coach Adam Simpson plots his strategy against "arguably the best midfield in the competition".

The Eagles' nominal run-with player, Mark Hutchings, is still battling a knee injury, with Jack Redden and former defender Liam Duggan now the most likely midfielders to play accountable roles.

Simpson said the Bulldogs presented a massive challenge to his team and the acquisition of former Collingwood and Greater Western Sydney midfielder Adam Treloar had made their onball division even stronger.

Without captain Luke Shuey and star midfielder Elliot Yeo, Simpson said the Eagles' midfielders were looking forward to stepping up again in their first trip to Melbourne since the 2019 semi-final against Geelong.

"I think they're a top-four side and have arguably the best midfield in the competition," Simpson said of the Bulldogs.

"Unfortunate we're missing a couple of our top-class mids, but we think we've got the depth to challenge.

"It's not just their midfield. They've got three or four mids in different positions as well that they can run through there.

"That's always going to be a mammoth task against the Doggies. It's going to be a real challenge. I think there's plenty of belief there and they play a really good system."

The Bulldogs had the nine highest disposal winners on the ground in last Friday's 16-point win against the Magpies with four midfielders winning 30 disposals or more – Bailey Smith (36), Jack Macrae (35), Lachie Hunter (31) and Josh Dunkley (30).

Marcus Bontempelli also poses a significant threat after winning more than 20 possessions in each of his nine previous games against the Eagles since 2015 and hitting the scoreboard in five of those.

Asked if the Eagles would look to tag one of the Bulldogs' midfielders, Simpson said the team would go in with multiple plans.

"We always [look at] what if someone gets right off the chain … there's definitely some options," he said.

"We might start with it. We're still working on some of those things at training today.

"He (Bontempelli) has got everything and he's starting to hit the scoreboard as well.

"We've got to put a lot of work into him. But if you do that it just frees up some of the others as well.

"It's part of their strength, the collective."

Simpson said the Eagles would not use Jamaine Jones as the medical substitute again after he was not required to play against Gold Coast in round one, with the midfielder/forward in consideration for the starting 22.

"He registers a game and he got paid, but he didn’t play. We won't do that again with him this week," Simpson said.

"We'll need to rotate if they don't get to play.

"I don't think we've got any injuries from the weekend and our WAFL boys all got through unscathed, so we've got no more injuries than we've got."

Rocket Science
26-03-2021, 04:30 PM
This is Simmo doing unsubtle psy-ops but jeez I wish people would stop blowing smoke up our arses until we've y'know, earned it.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Really?

"The Eagles have won 31 of 41 games in Western Australia since Adam Simpson became coach, while winning 17 of 34 games outside of their home state."

That quote is a couple of years old now but West Coast have - over their history - been pretty darn good at winning games full-stop...
Yes they have been a powerhouse over the years but winning 75% at home and 50% on the road, says this is our opportunity, I really think we are the boggy team for them and it will show again this Sunday.

mjp
27-03-2021, 10:29 AM
Yeo and Shuey out are huge.

I don't think Yeo is going to play - FULL STOP - in 2021.

OP is a bugger of a thing. They have pushed Duggan into the mids - you don't do with a key behind the ball distributor unless there are real concerns it is going to be a 'permanent' thing...a young mid covers for a couple of weeks - for a few months though, that doesn't cut it if you have premiership aspirations (and the age profile of Kennedy, Hurn, Shepherd, Gaff, Darling, Shuey and Nic Nat says they had better get one now if they want to get one)...

jeemak
27-03-2021, 11:41 AM
I had to retire due to OP......oldest and fattest person to have gotten it, but I got it nonetheless! At 31 and working full time I wasn't planning on changing my running gait and doing the requisite remedial work.

GVGjr
27-03-2021, 07:31 PM
West out (Managed) but is on the emergency bench.

[14] Rhylee West, [39] Jason Johannisen, [2] Lewis Young, [46] Lin Jong

A lot of options on the bench.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-03-2021, 07:57 PM
West out (Managed) but is on the emergency bench.

[14] Rhylee West, [39] Jason Johannisen, [2] Lewis Young, [46] Lin Jong

A lot of options on the bench.

I think you need to go with Jong. We can’t have West sitting on the pine for two games, JJ still needs to play snd earn his call up. Jong provides better coverage than Young.

comrade
27-03-2021, 08:09 PM
I think you need to go with Jong. We can’t have West sitting on the pine for two games, JJ still needs to play snd earn his call up. Jong provides better coverage than Young.

Jong played 4 quarters today, as did West and Young.

It'll be JJ.

Mantis
28-03-2021, 09:35 AM
I feel like a kid on Xmas morning with the thought of going to the footy... can't wait to lose my shit all over again! :eek:

A little concerned how our backline will hold up if the Eagles get their share of the ball, but without Yeo & Shuey we really should have supremacy in the middle of the ground and assuming we see some improvement with ball in hand compared to round 1 we will be tough to beat... Go Dogs!!

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 10:06 AM
I feel like a kid on Xmas morning with the thought of going to the footy... can't wait to lose my shit all over again! :eek:

A little concerned how our backline will hold up if the Eagles get their share of the ball, but without Yeo & Shuey we really should have supremacy in the middle of the ground and assuming we see some improvement with ball in hand compared to round 1 we will be tough to beat... Go Dogs!!

Good to have a home game to attend. I'm really looking forward to it.

West Coast have a strong forward line with a good mix of tall's and smalls so our midfield will need to push back quickly when required.

Agree, if we turn up with intensity we will be hard to beat.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 10:35 AM
Even with Shuey and Yeo out, that is looking like a pretty good WC team. If they get first use, I’m expecting their fwds to get plenty of opportunity. Got a feeling our backs will be under siege.

hujsh
28-03-2021, 11:09 AM
We haven't beaten West Coast in Victoria since 2016. A terrible record that needs to be fixed for sure.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 11:40 AM
We haven't beaten West Coast in Victoria since 2016. A terrible record that needs to be fixed for sure.

And today’s the day. Milestone game for one of the favourite sons. Go dogs

bornadog
28-03-2021, 12:10 PM

However, we beat them in our last game, so something positive.

ratsmac
28-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Dogs 34
First goal- Naughts
BOG- Libba

Big big game today that can set our season up to a great start if we win. We hardly beat any top 8 teams last year so we need to make a statement today. Carn the Scray!

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 01:43 PM
Huge game for us, a real challenge but we should be up for it

Dogs by 14 points.
Macrae BOG
Bruce first goal.......he can't kick worse than last week can he?

bornadog
28-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Keith playing only his 50th game today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExXeribVcAAsz1g?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
28-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Roof closed

comrade
28-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Roof closed

Sanity prevails.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Mitch Hannan was jn the sponsors area. Talked well

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Dogs by 4 points
First Goal: Wallis
BOG: Libba

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 04:52 PM
Once again our fwd line is like Bunnings on a Sunday, and you have COVID lockdown in the WC fwd line. As usual we are bombing, and as usual Kennedy, Darling and Ryan look threatening. If it wasn’t for Bont, we’d be 4 goals down.

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 04:54 PM
Well if we can stop spraying our shots, stop turning the ball over on entries, stop conceding coast-to-coast opportunities to the other mob and get a few more gifts from the umpires, we might just be a show here.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 04:56 PM
Thank god Bont and Libba turned up today

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 04:58 PM
When is Naughton going to play in his proper position ?

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 05:02 PM
When is Naughton going to play in his proper position ?

Yeah this.

He's a gun. Instead of trying to eke out a living in a dysfunctional forward line it's time to start playing him where he can have a genuine impact and affect games in our favour.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Ok I was wrong about Juicy. Nice goal

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Why are they allowing Hurn to play on from the kick out with no mark ?

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 05:12 PM
The point kick in rule is without a doubt our biggest problem with the changes.
We need to adjust or we are in trouble with the amount of behinds we score.
Locking it in for multiple scores isn't viable any more.

westbulldog
4.8 ffs

Bumper Bulldogs
Bloody hell. When will we get a goal kicking coach dine at the club.

Topdog
28-03-2021, 05:13 PM
4 goals 8. This is why we aren't serious contenders

Topdog
28-03-2021, 05:20 PM
That's better, good finish Bont

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 05:29 PM
Frustrating game. We should be in front with a decent lead but didn't take our chances.

merantau
28-03-2021, 05:31 PM
We are keeping them in this by poor goal kicking and some ordinary defending. Kick to where Natanui is lurking - why?

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Once WC break that half back line they look like they can score every time. The bulldogs hand ball count for a half is laughable. When it comes unstuck, you’re just asking the opposition to score.

Kennedy will kick 5+ if he gets opportunities.

Bumper Bulldogs
This game should have been on ice already. We need to train kicking on goals. Effort good snd we have plenty of up side in Dunks, Trellor, Smith and Wallis to come

I recon Wallis might just be playing for his future right now. Hasn’t given us any more that a first year player.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
At some point we've got to address our appalling conversion rate. We always leave the door ajar, even when dominating games due to our failure to get reward on the scoreboard.

comrade
Such a dumb kick out set up, both offensively and defensively. They kick it out and get to the wing/half forward line every time. When it’s our turn, we give it straight back and cough up an easy inside 50 mark. Infuriating.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:33 PM
I’m sorry, but what does McNeil and Scott offer that JJ doesn’t ? JJ is someone who can break the lines with a kick, not a handball. We miss that.

Grantysghost
I think the Eagles are probably the better side so far. We've had it a lot doesn't mean much if you can't use it.
Theyve been assured, looked to have a plan and have the skill to execute it.
Not sure we are utilising Treloar.
Why do we rush it inside 50 so much. We seem to bring it on ourselves with a symphony of rushed handballs.

The Bulldogs Bite
Mids are dominant but it's a similar tale to the one we've heard for many years. We just cannot convert.

If WCE can get any ascendency in the mid we're stuffed.

Mantis
28-03-2021, 05:36 PM
Such a frustrating half of footy... doing lots right, but letting ourselves down with poor finishing and allowing easy goals.

Just have to hope it clicks for 15min and we can kick 3-4 in a row.

westbulldog
28-03-2021, 05:37 PM
Appoint Kennedy our goalkicking coach when he retires. Whoever ours is is paid under false pretences.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Geez even when a hunter, macrae etc have the ball 20 metres out from our goal, there first inclination is to handball somewhere, anywhere, other than just run directly at goal and KICK it.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 05:38 PM
Why do we rush it inside 50 so much. We seem to bring it on ourselves with a symphony of rushed handballs.

I was Wondering myself how we can control the ball easily around the ground and the field kicked chirping around is spot on. We Ross the centre line and we miss easy targets and just bomb pond living in hope that Naughts will take a hanger.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Such a frustrating half of footy... doing lots right, but letting ourselves down with poor finishing and allowing easy goals.

Just have to hope it clicks for 15min and we can kick 3-4 in a row.

Yep, we need a run of 3-4 goals.

If it's close at the end, their talls will trouble us.

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 05:40 PM
You could almost send Naughton back on Kennedy and send Scott forward. If our forward line is smaller there might be a chance we don't bomb it in.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:40 PM
How many petrol tickets have we used in that first half for just a 1 goal lead?
The next 10 mins will be crucial.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:41 PM
You could almost send Naughton back on Kennedy and send Scott forward. If our forward line is smaller there might be a chance we don't bomb it in.

Naughton back ? They’ll never do that haha

That’s where he should be playing all the time Hotdog

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:42 PM
So who can fake an injury to get JJ on ?

Vred
28-03-2021, 05:42 PM
IF we lose this game it was lost at *!*!*!*!ing selection as always. Wood should be playing, Cavarra should be in (kicked 4 in the VFL yesterday), McNeil needs time in the VFL, Scott shouldn’t play seniors, ever.

So over this club losing games because of dumb selections from an arrogant head coach.

josie
28-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Geez even when a hunter, macrae etc have the ball 20 metres out from our goal, there first inclination is to handball somewhere, anywhere, other than just run directly at goal and KICK it.

Hunter should have shown leadership and kicked that goal. I know we got it anyway but really!! Naughts need to double back rather than just leading up. Wallis trying his heart out but not great so far. Vanders exciting.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2021, 05:45 PM
Surprised at the calls on the MC. I've been hard on them for some time but if we lose this game it's because we don't convert, not because Wood is playing 2's.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 05:48 PM
Surprised at the calls on the MC. I've been hard on them for some time but if we lose this game it's because we don't convert, not because Wood is playing 2's.
I don’t think we will lose but we should be in total control. The best pressure in footy is the scoreboard and our club just doesn’t get it.

The Doctor
28-03-2021, 05:48 PM
If it wasn't for 2 dumb errors from Lipinski we might have a 3+ goal lead.

Lippa is an almost player.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:49 PM
No suprise

The Doctor
28-03-2021, 05:50 PM
Bont never nails those centre bounce tackles. Cost us the 1st goal of the 3rd 1/4.

He's got to do do better than that. It was awful.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Great kick Bont!

The Doctor
28-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Bont never nails those centre bounce tackles. Cost us the 1st goal of the 3rd 1/4.

He's got to do do better than that. It was awful.

Having said that he redeems with great offensive play.

But I wish he would hammer those tackles

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 05:54 PM
If only we had a key fwd who could kick straight.

Dry Rot
Who is playing on Kennedy?

Rocket Science
Gee, good teams don't need many opportunities.

Average ones however ...

DOG GOD
How many handball turnovers can we have in a game ?

Topdog
28-03-2021, 05:57 PM
They are scared of Naughton. Good finish for the goal.

Testekill
28-03-2021, 05:57 PM
McGovern is always so surprised that holding onto your opponent is actually against the rules.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Bad mistake from Caleb..

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Haha some of these turnovers are laughable now

Topdog
28-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Getting smashed in the middle

DOG GOD
Look out...9 of the last 10 clearances to WC

Topdog
Bad mistake from Caleb..

One of the worst you will ever see

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Yeah but world's best midfield.

https://i.ibb.co/zPygdN2/Screen-Shot-2021-03-28-at-5-05-17-PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Needed that from Dunks, great snap.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 06:14 PM
Sorry Wallis that’s about it fit you.

MrMahatma
28-03-2021, 06:15 PM
Still up. Need to take our chances!

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 06:15 PM
Wallis and Hunter in the same forward line live. I might blow a foofer valve.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Do fumbly.. great smother from Bruce should've resulted in a forward entry, instead Duryea fumbles and it goes right up the other end for a West Coast goal.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 06:16 PM
Failing asleep. How was Darling on his own then.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Ooh we just love red time

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Monstered in the clearances this qtr, and its handing their tall forwards lots of opportunities.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Nic Nat having a field day now. WC way on top.
3 goals in 2 mins snuffs out whatever we had left.

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Maybe next off-season we can trade four or five midfielders for a competent defender.

Grantysghost
Treloar sat out on a wing all qtr and we are getting obliterated in the guts.

westbulldog
Defence pathetic whilst Wood languishes in the 2's

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
We need to fix the stoppages in the last or we're gonski

Bumper Bulldogs
After that goal they are going to take some stopping now.

We need to rove to Nic Nat

Vred
28-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Sack Bevo and his selection committee. Imagine going into this game unchanged after the show some of our players put on last week. Pathetic.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Poor by the mids that quarter. Naitanui slamming it down their throats yet we still refuse to play man on man and cover defensive side.

Awful in D50 but we knew that already.

Wallis isn't best 25 right now and we need Treloar in the middle and Hunter to the wing.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:24 PM
To win, WC can’t kick another goal.
If Bevo thinks Keath, Gardner and Williams can stop Kennedy, Darling and Allen, he’s dreaming.

If Naughton is going to languish up fwd impacting one in every 8 games he plays, then we need another key defender.

merantau
28-03-2021, 06:26 PM
We have the job ahead of us now but we only have ourselves to blame. I still think we can win but it will require a big effort. Treloar into the midfield please.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 06:27 PM
We just need to run our guys out in the last. We can do it but we need to push the forwards to play high snd leave Naughts one out.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:28 PM
When your fwds can kick 8.0 from set shots, then you’re always going to be in the game.

Can’t believe WC were $2.57 on Sportsbet this morning. Our backline shouldve at least had that down to $1.88

Bumper Bulldogs
Wow Bont starting forward.

josie
Surely Young in for Gardner next week. Cav for Wallis. Enough already Bevo. Also why not mix things up? Naughts to backline, Treloar in middle, Bont to F50? Doing same dumb thing expecting a better result - idiocy to the extreme. Going to lose supporters with the misplaced loyalty and poor MC selections.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 06:30 PM
We have a lot of work to do but now after the point but we can still win this
Need something from Treloar, Bruce Naughton and Wallis

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Out on our feet would be a miracle from here

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 06:35 PM
I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 06:36 PM
I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Theyre just better players.

comrade
28-03-2021, 06:37 PM
If Wallis can’t kick the straight ones from 40m, he’s done

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:37 PM

We were out on our feet at half time. Their 3rd qtr dominance proved that

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:38 PM
We will be lucky to kick another goal

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 06:40 PM
I love the way we can isolate Wallis or Hunter regularly, but not Naughton or anyone else.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:42 PM
I love the way we can isolate Wallis or Hunter regularly, but not Naughton or anyone else.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:42 PM
Bont doung his best to get us back in it.
Great finish from Bruce.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Great lead, mark and finish from Naughts!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:46 PM
That was pathetic umpiring. If Gardner was pinged, McGovern shouldve.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 06:48 PM
Dale just whimped out of that contest

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:49 PM
Great stuff Vandermeer!!
Good work McNeill too

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:50 PM
Really poor from Treloar to allow Kelly to waltz out of the middle.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 06:51 PM
Anyone got that feeling that one of their tall fwds will take a mark in the dying min to win ?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Really poor letting Jones out the back.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Clutch stuff Macrae.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 06:58 PM
Special clearance from Libba to set that in motion

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:00 PM
Strong stuff Bailey Williams..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:01 PM
Bont!! We got this!!

DOG GOD
Well done bont. 3 votes

bulldogsthru&thru
Who’s 15? His contest in defence won this game

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Fantastic finish Dogs.
Really turned that around.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Bont was absolutely huge in that last qtr

bulldogsthru&thru
Great win. Very good desperation at the end there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Who’s 15? His contest in defence won this game

Duryea..
But Williams for me was the clutch. Won a 3 on one that set up Bonts sealer.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Duryea..

Agree. Both were excellent.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Bont, macrae and dunks were very important in that last 5-6 mins. Williams also.

The Doctor
What a game.

Well done Dogs for fighting back when we looked gone. Stef Martin huge last 1/4

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
That was the Captain's game that just lift the team.

Vred
28-03-2021, 07:06 PM
Police have showed up at my place from all the yelling, someone thinks I was into my missus.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 07:07 PM
We have a lot of work to do but now after the point but we can still win this
Need something from Treloar, Bruce Naughton and Wallis

The power of positive thinking

The Doctor
28-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Police have showed up at my place from all the yelling, someone thinks I was into my missus.

She must have been happy

Scraggers
Bragging rights in the West this week :cool:

bulldogsthru&thru
I only saw the last quarter but looked a fun game

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Some parts weren't!

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Some parts weren't!

Yeah I’m catching up on that in this thread! Usual issues by the look of it

G-Mo77
28-03-2021, 07:09 PM
Gutsy win against a legit contender to take it all out. Clutch from Naughton and Bont in front of goal. I had that sinking feeling when both had their shots. Hopefully that continues.

Some real ice in the veins from the midfield and back end late in that game. Bailey Williams looked under no pressure at all in a 3 on 1 contest.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Most people that know me know I hate politics especially when mixed with sport but that win was one for the true believers

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Am I the only one who feels like they just ditched a bout of chronic constipation?

Strewth we make life hard for ourselves but some days the Bont simply will not be denied.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Gutsy win against a legit contender to take it all out. Clutch from Naughton and Bont in front of goal. I had that sinking feeling when both had their shots. Hopefully that continues.

Some real ice in the veins from the midfield and back end late in that game. Bailey Williams looked under no pressure at all in a 3 on 1 contest.

We were a bit fortunate with that 3 on 1 kick. Eagles player chose to kick to the player Bailey was closest too rather than the two in front. I’ll take it.

Vred
28-03-2021, 07:12 PM
She must have been happy

Hahaha international neighbours don’t know about football, all good. She was yelling right along with me

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Sure if your idea of fun is getting a full body wax while listening to free jazz.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:14 PM
That contest in the middle that setup Naughts last goal was simply amazing from Libba. Willed himself to the ball, jumped on it whilst being tackled and in one motion bounced up to his feet and got a kick/handball out. Amazing.

Happy Days
28-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Sack Bevo and his selection committee. Imagine going into this game unchanged after the show some of our players put on last week. Pathetic.

So we still doing this or nah.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Sure if your idea of fun is getting a full body wax while listening to free jazz.

Is Ron Burgundy’s jazz hands considered free jazz? If so it makes sense.

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 07:18 PM
When Vanders kicked that goal I chucked a random child into the air and danced with the man next to me like it was 2016.

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 07:18 PM
Naughs was swung back for the last 5 mins.
Good to see the Dogs dig deep and get that one over the line.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 07:19 PM
What a difference it makes when you kick straight. We put way too much pressure on ourselves with our normally poor goal kicking. And what a difference it makes when the game is to be won, and we go down the guts. After all these years, it’s still the quickest way into the 50.

merantau
28-03-2021, 07:19 PM
Realistically we made it easy for them in the first half. We missed, they hit. Third quarter dominence by Natinui - why was that allowed to go on for the whole quarter? Mids got to be more proactive.

Last quarter we were well served by Stef Martin. He really contested. Macrae was good all day but brilliant in the last as was Bailey Williams.

Naughton and Bruce had good games and Bont was the match winner. Libbas clearance in the last was pivotal. Vandermeer was very cool when the heat was on.

We won the game with a really big step up in intensity when we needed it - a good sign.

Twodogs
28-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Hahaha international neighbours don’t know about football, all good. She was yelling right along with me

Like my Mexican neighbours after the preliminary final against GWS. I was screaming and yelling in the front yard and turned around to see them all standing there looking at me. I just smiled and said "football" and they said "oh yes, we understand football"

We ended up dancing the tango in the street outside our houses!

comrade
28-03-2021, 07:23 PM
Nic Nat had a day out, but thank god for Stef Martin late. Without him, we lose I reckon.

Happy Days
Shout out to Bevo for making the changes that people in here were calling for at 3qt. Treloar in the middle, Naughton back (happy now Comrade?), etc. For all of his strengths he’s too often limited by his stubbornness, so some adjustments were fantastic to see.

DOG GOD
When they were 14 points up I literally thought our “empty” sign was flashing on the petrol gauge. Bont really showed leadership and everyone lifted.

Happy Days
When Vanders kicked that goal I chucked a random child into the air and danced with the man next to me like it was 2016.

That’s one of the most electric moments I’ve ever felt at the footy.

Vred
28-03-2021, 07:26 PM
So we still doing this or nah.

yes, we should of made changes going into this game.

Drop Scott, McNeal and Wallis going into next week.

Dry Rot
28-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Duryea..

Can someone please describe that one on three play by Williams?

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 07:28 PM
yes, we should of made changes going into this game.

Drop Scott, McNeal and Wallis going into next week.

Don't worry I think Wood will come in for Scott and Cav or West for McNeil. They've had a taste and will go back to work on things.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Bevo was just short of brilliant today. A lesser coach would have swung Naughton back in the 3rd but he knew we had to kick a score. So glad he held his nerve.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:32 PM

I sort of did a page back.

bornadog
Don't worry I think Wood will come in for Scott and Cav or West for McNeil. They've had a taste and will go back to work on things.

no change for me , playing crappy North��

MrMahatma

Miracles happen?

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 07:37 PM
no change for me , playing crappy North��

That could be a worry as we don't seem to turn up when were favorites.
By reports Wood had a good game and although I think the two guys were serviceable we should reward players that are playing well in the reserves.
But if we go in unchanged I wouldn't be that fussed by it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:41 PM

Yep. I was out of my seat once he got the ball, jumping and shouting luke a lunatic!

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 07:42 PM
Gee I'm going to watch that last quarter a couple of times tonight

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:45 PM
Gee I'm going to watch that last quarter a couple of times tonight

I really loved how we fought back.
I thought we were gone when they were up by 13 points.
Bont taking a great mark off the back half and playing on, resulting i na goal to Bruce was pivotal andcseemed to ignite the whole team

Rocket Science
28-03-2021, 07:50 PM

He spoiled Ryan inside defensive-50 with Allen and Cripps lurking at the fall and managed to (crucially) keep his feet and scoop up the loose ball surrounded by the three of them, then feed out to Duryea and we were away.

Willo probably our best defender on the day though Gardner and Keath didn't exactly shine.

merantau
28-03-2021, 07:56 PM
"We have the job ahead of us now but we only have ourselves to blame. I still think we can win but it will require a big effort. Treloar into the midfield please.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
"It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Keep the faith Woofers. In Bevo we trust!

josie
28-03-2021, 08:01 PM

Love this post. Gold star, no even better a red elephant stamp for you my son. Anyone remember gold stars and elephant stamps or are your memories of primary school fading with each passing decade?

josie
28-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Over 100 on woof right now. Well done mods.

josie
28-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Anyone got that feeling that one of their tall fwds will take a mark in the dying min to win ?

Yes and oh so glad to be wrong.

jeemak
28-03-2021, 08:06 PM
Love this post. Gold star, no even better a red elephant stamp for you my son. Anyone remember gold stars and elephant stamps or are your memories of primary school fading with each passing decade?

I remember other kids getting them.........

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 08:08 PM
Miracles happen?

Bloody brilliant too.

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 08:12 PM

It was so good to be back at the footy :cool:

So many emotions, I was losing it at 3/4 time they were all idiots! Treloar move made a difference he added a different element in there and Bontempelli just put the team on his back and said, boys - we ain't losing today.

Home, feet up, and time for the last qtr replay.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 08:12 PM
Over 100 on woof right now. Well done mods.

Nah most of them are 'bots' but a decent turn up so far.

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 08:14 PM

I was having GWS prelim ptsd.

Twodogs
28-03-2021, 08:16 PM

I can remember having a slate blackboard and writing on it with chalk. When it came time to rub out our work with a blackboard duster we'd leave all the ticks the teacher had marked on it.

jeemak
28-03-2021, 08:17 PM
Well, that was pleasant and unpleasant, and then completely wild.

I thought it was going to fizz into one of those terrible Sunday afternoon at Docklands games where the umpires seem to have a massive influence over the result, and both teams take turns shooting themselves in the foot with the winner accidentally winning the game. It didn't turn out like that, but threatened to even at stages in the last quarter.

Will watch the replay and comment more, though immediate thougths:

- Would love to have reliable kicks like Kennedy and Darling playing for us. They kept WC in the game whilst we didn't convert
- We need to get a bit better at knowing when to go forward and when to handle the footy laterally. We make it too easy for defenders to drop back when playing around with it
- WC set up the ground really well all game, and when they started getting more footy around the contest it showed even more. They transition through the press really well, and use the system they perfected at Subiaco where they take the short kick you don't think they will and whooshka they then have run and depth to go over the back
- We have some genuine pace in the side with Smith, Vanders, McNeil and Scott with the latter two getting some valuable experience. Both should make way for others next week however special mention to McNeil in the last as he intercepted a handball and relied on instinct to run forward rather than not, and he used the ball perfectly to release Vanders for a great team goal and moment of the day

Go Dogs!

kruder
28-03-2021, 08:22 PM
You got to love Vandermeer he just makes shit happen. His block for Hunter in the last was so good which enabled him to gather possession then he came back to the footy received from Hunter and hit Naughty on the chest.

That kid is Bulldog through and through.

AshMac
28-03-2021, 08:25 PM
You beauty! Just got home. who’d have thought goals from set shots from Bruce, Naughts and Bont in a row!

Go dogs!

AshMac
28-03-2021, 08:25 PM
You got to love Vandermeer he just makes shit happen. His block for Hunter was so good which enabled him to gather possession then he came back to the footy received from Hunter and hit Naughty on the chest.

That kid is Bulldog through and through.

That sequence of play from him was outstanding!

chef
28-03-2021, 08:45 PM
Well that was a fun game. 2021 could be anything with this group.

The bulldog tragician
28-03-2021, 08:47 PM
At 3/4 time I said for us to win, Bont needed to go nuts.

He did, and I saw something I haven’t since 2016...guys who just found a way when things weren’t going right. They wouldn’t settle for an honourable loss with the usual caveats: if we’d kicked straight/picked the “right” players/etc etc..

We are on the right path. For what it meant for the group, and the narrative around our season, just about our most important (& thrilling) win since the premiership.

SonofScray
28-03-2021, 08:52 PM
That win addressed something that has been a knock on the squad for a few years. We just haven’t handled those scenarios where the momentum swings and the opposition manages to get a bit of distance between us on the scoreboard. There was an emphatic swing against us in the 3rd and early in the last, but we got it back on our terms and did the business.

That’s a big tick, huge tick actually.

jeemak
28-03-2021, 08:53 PM
Liam Ryan is so good to watch, I love his ability in the air but also he's cool as a cucumber when the ball is on the ground or in open play etc. and he has to use it.

As an aside I sometimes have to take a bit of a step back and marvel at how crazy/ maniacal just about every big man in the league is at times in aerial contests.

angelopetraglia
28-03-2021, 09:06 PM
What a day. Great to be back at the footy. Fantastic gutsy win. Thought we were gone a few times but three big set shots in the last quarter got us across the line when we could not hit the side of a barn all day.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Really telling that Bont, Bruce and Naughts all kicked multiple high pressure goals.
As much as we missed plenty of opportunities in the 2nd quarter especially, those 3 stood up when we needed a big goal.

Topdog
28-03-2021, 09:28 PM
If Naughton goes to the backline we lose that kick down the line to Naughton which he wins so often.

Great bloody win

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Really telling that Bont, Bruce and Naughts all kicked multiple high pressure goals.
As much as we missed plenty of opportunities in the 2nd quarter especially, those 3 stood up when we needed a big goal.

Bruce is starting to look worth the acquisition.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Huge win. That can't be understated - massive win for the group.

Thought Treloar was important in the last, he and Bont had some game changing moments. Bont showed why it's Martin, him and then the rest.

Thought Vanders was crucial. He's such a dynamic, combative player. Absolutely love what he brings.

McNeil was a lot better, IMO he stays.

Stef was big in the last, Macrae just keeps going, Williams had some big wins, Gardiner was solid. Thought Keath was poor and didn't play tight enough, Daniel had a mare but it happens. Dunks and Libba were big work horses in the middle.

Loved Bruce's game, worked really hard and just looks so much fitter. He's had a really good start to the year. Naughty had a big game too and had a great second half.

Lots to be excited about, we have our flaws but we're a beautifully frustrating unfinished piece of art.

kruder
28-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Liam Ryan is so good to watch, I love his ability in the air but also he's cool as a cucumber when the ball is on the ground or in open play etc. and he has to use it.

As an aside I sometimes have to take a bit of a step back and marvel at how crazy/ maniacal just about every big man in the league is at times in aerial contests.

You can go to the footy just to watch a player like Ryan, one of my favs in the league. We didn't see it today but even when they use him up the ground his vision and skill are so good.

bornadog
28-03-2021, 09:56 PM
You can go to the footy just to watch a player like Ryan, one of my favs in the league. We didn't see it today but even when they use him up the ground his vision and skill are so good.

Boy can he fly

merantau
28-03-2021, 10:11 PM
We are on the right path. For what it meant for the group, and the narrative around our season, just about our most important (& thrilling) win since the premiership.
I agree

kruder
28-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Another solid game by Bailey Dale boys and girls only early but good signs indeed. His kicking is suited to half back but I just never thought defensively he would have what it takes. He looks really engaged back there, intensity is up lets hope he finally crack best 22 this year.

Eastdog
28-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Was great to be at the footy once again for our first home game back at Marvel in attendance. Was a nerve racking match all day we missed a lot of chances but did the job in the end against quite a good side. I was out of my seat at the end. Great mini comeback.

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 10:56 PM
You know you're having a bad day when your official AFL player rating is less than the two subs that sat on the pine!

https://i.postimg.cc/8PcLQhzv/Screenshot-20210328-215258-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

(not sure I rate their ratings much)

Twodogs
28-03-2021, 11:20 PM

46 seconds into this footage

https://youtu.be/HCDpbQ-pFi0

EasternWest
28-03-2021, 11:24 PM

Worth mentioning the kick he hits Hunter with is an absolute belter too.

comrade
28-03-2021, 11:25 PM
You know you're having a bad day when your official AFL player rating is less than the two subs that sat on the pine!

https://i.postimg.cc/8PcLQhzv/Screenshot-20210328-215258-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

(not sure I rate their ratings much)

That rating is harsh, but fair IMO.

Mitch is burning through some credits at the moment. He's only going to get a few good looks a game against decent sides and needs to make them count. The last 2 weeks he hasn't looked like it.

He'll be picked again this week and that's ok - he is a proud person so you can't write him off but damn, he needs to hit some form very soon especially if West & Cavarra continue to perform at VFL level.

bornadog
28-03-2021, 11:41 PM
That rating is harsh, but fair IMO.

Mitch is burning through some credits at the moment. He's only going to get a few good looks a game against decent sides and needs to make them count. The last 2 weeks he hasn't looked like it.

He'll be picked again this week and that's ok - he is a proud person so you can't write him off but damn, he needs to hit some form very soon especially if West & Cavarra continue to perform at VFL level.

He needs to nail his shots when he gets the opportunity.

bornadog
28-03-2021, 11:42 PM

My mate and his son are in that clip, and I am just out of view. The part where the camera is up in the stand and pans down.

Dry Rot
28-03-2021, 11:50 PM

Wow! Williams was terrific there.

Thanks.

jeemak
29-03-2021, 12:09 AM
There's no excuse for Mitch to rock up and be so unprofessional with his shots at goal. I would have him out before McNeil after tonight.

Eastdog
29-03-2021, 12:13 AM
A few photos I took from my seat pre match today:

Go Dogs! Great win today.

https://i.postimg.cc/7bC9NLPt/0895-F13-E-B375-4-C82-B081-E1-FFE9-E474-F0.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7bC9NLPt)

https://i.postimg.cc/cvWcZMRP/3-CABD6-F5-2-D0-D-4-DCA-9102-EBC9-C5-BCCA85.jpg (https://postimg.cc/cvWcZMRP)

https://i.postimg.cc/23Pw9fVk/6-E43385-E-10-CB-4026-A1-B1-91-E4-A1-E6-DF95.jpg (https://postimg.cc/23Pw9fVk)

https://i.postimg.cc/1fwKLYqp/7-C22-AC44-22-CA-44-FC-BEE1-0-BD569201-F3-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1fwKLYqp)

https://i.postimg.cc/GBhJTLSQ/7-C2732-F7-CDA5-4095-8623-41-A4-E274451-A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GBhJTLSQ)

https://i.postimg.cc/64Gh6M1x/DC8-F15-BD-ACAB-455-B-BD45-2-ABB2-CA093-F3.jpg (https://postimg.cc/64Gh6M1x)

https://i.postimg.cc/BjCBvLNb/FA0-AD53-A-53-ED-4748-B7-A0-75-B6-FE1-B80-EA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/BjCBvLNb)

jeemak
29-03-2021, 12:19 AM
I was taken aback by the amount of time between a goal and the ads finishing and the game restarting. Most of the time there were seven to twelve seconds before the game got going again after the umpire started to reset and bounce which takes a few seconds again. Madness.

Haven't seen a game in a couple of years due to being out of the country.

Twodogs
29-03-2021, 12:29 AM
Wow! Williams was terrific there.

Thanks.

No worries. Almost every junior coach will tell you at some stage that the most important thing in football is keeping your feet in a contest. " You're no good to anyone lying on the ground waving your arms around son" Williams did it in textbook fashion.

Eastdog
29-03-2021, 12:36 AM

Great video Twodogs. Great to see Libba Snr and Susan Alberti in the crowd there celebrating a great Bulldog win!

jeemak
29-03-2021, 01:08 AM
Another reflection is that from the sidelines it looked a lot of the time like we were being well too fiddly with the football but having watched the replay it confirmed how well the Eagles set the ground up. In hindsight it was a credit to the lads that we didn't hand the footy over more than we did.

It was absolutely a cracking game, one that was great when you're there but just as good when you get to watch the replay.

Special mention to Josh Bruce for not going too hard at the ball that was kicked wide before he got it to Bont in the last minute. It could have easily gone over his head and he played the percentages, in that he just didn't need or want it to bounce inside over his head or to the side of him and into the corridor.

Dry Rot
29-03-2021, 01:25 AM
Very exciting game to listen on the radio, must have been a cracker to have been there watching live.

SonofScray
29-03-2021, 01:59 AM
Very exciting game to listen on the radio, must have been a cracker to have been there watching live.

Was a great day at the footy. Even the crappy ticketing and music between goals couldn’t kill the mood. The faithful were up and about.

Vred
29-03-2021, 02:04 AM
1am and I still feel high on that win, man, what a *!*!*!*!ing last quarter.

Eastdog
29-03-2021, 02:19 AM
Been a really good first 2 games of the season. Both hard fought deserved victories.

Eastdog
29-03-2021, 02:21 AM
Was a great day at the footy. Even the crappy ticketing and music between goals couldn’t kill the mood. The faithful were up and about.

Agree SOS. It was an electric atmosphere yesterday. Very loud and our supporters were right into it from where I was sitting.

merantau
29-03-2021, 07:48 AM

Where were you listening and which callers?

jazzadogs
29-03-2021, 08:27 AM
I was taken aback by the amount of time between a goal and the ads finishing and the game restarting. Most of the time there were seven to twelve seconds before the game got going again after the umpire started to reset and bounce which takes a few seconds again. Madness.

Haven't seen a game in a couple of years due to being out of the country.

It's a set 30 (?) seconds between goal and bounce. This specific timing had to be introduced so that players knew how long they had to get into the 6-6-6 zone. You'll see that a timer comes up on the screen between goal and bounce - the players are aware of it too, I saw Gardner looking at it once yesterday and sprinted to the defensive goalsquare so he wasn't out of position and giving away a 6-6-6 free kick.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 09:50 AM
West Coast have a very different game plan than us. They like to play possession footy when attacking and when they don't have the ball, they man up one on one. Possession footy can work as long as you don't stuff up.

We can learn alot from their set shot kicking.