PDA

View Full Version : Bruce McAvaney calls time on AFL commentary career

bulldogsthru&thru
28-02-2021, 07:41 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bruce-mcavaney-calls-time-on-afl-commentary-career-20210228-p576k5.html

Wasn’t planning on watching much footy this year but I may now reconsider.

Had a great stint but like The Simpsons, went on far too long.

GVGjr
28-02-2021, 07:53 PM
Good luck to Bruce, he lost his way with the AFL but for many years he was a great sports commentator

Hotdog60
28-02-2021, 07:58 PM
yipee no more prevented slimly commentary to listen to.

Bruce started well and then slid down a slippery slope of calling to the only listeners that live in basements and dark alleys ways.

Dry Rot
28-02-2021, 09:18 PM
yipee no more prevented slimly commentary to listen to.

Bruce started well and then slid down a slippery slope of calling to the only listeners that live in basements and dark alleys ways.

Be careful what you wish for

Former North Melbourne president James Brayshaw will step into McAvaney’s shoes and fill the void he leaves on the Friday night football broadcasting team.

jeemak
28-02-2021, 09:20 PM
Thank goodness for that. Hopefully a step in the right direction and a step away from the sycophantic guffawing he's been dishing up for years and that has permeated Ch7 commentary.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-02-2021, 10:53 PM
Good luck to Bruce.

I still liked him as a commentator and he's a good guy, if only a little weird.

The "you know who it is, it's him! Of course it's him" call on Bont kicking a goal v Hawthorn in the 2016 SF was beautiful.

comrade
01-03-2021, 12:29 AM
Good timing with Marra's debut around the corner. Would have been a sticky mess.

jeemak
01-03-2021, 01:13 AM
Good timing with Marra's debut around the corner. Would have been a sticky mess.

Man, could you imagine!

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 01:15 AM
An end of an era. All the best to Bruce. Will never forget Bruce’s calls of our 2016 SF and 2016 GF.

Eastdog
01-03-2021, 01:16 AM
Good luck to Bruce.

I still liked him as a commentator and he's a good guy, if only a little weird.

The "you know who it is, it's him! Of course it's him" call on Bont kicking a goal v Hawthorn in the 2016 SF was beautiful.

Yeah I loved that as well TBB :)

Bulldog4life
01-03-2021, 10:11 AM
AS well as commentating on the AFL Bruce was a master horse race caller and his Olympic and Commonwealth games calls were first rate. I for one wish him all the best.

soupman
01-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Real shame we have the last few years of Bruce to remember him by because when he was good he was very good.

Really hope they bring in another play by play commentator (say Jason Bennett) instead of another guy who is there for his personality and banter like we are listening to triple MMM.

The Underdog
01-03-2021, 11:05 AM

Wowee, lucky we’ll have some top level professionals calling instead right Darce?

comrade
01-03-2021, 11:08 AM
Wowee, lucky we’ll have some top level professionals calling instead right Darce?

Don't you just feel like he's going to be a star, eh Duck?

EasternWest
01-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Be careful what you wish for

It's like a nightmare ending only to realise you're in a worse night mare.

Topdog
01-03-2021, 03:39 PM
I'm kind of glad that he is finishing up but the commentary team is now basically the Triple M commentary team.

Their style can sometimes work for radio because you cant see what is happening but on TV it is really really poor.

The Underdog
01-03-2021, 05:26 PM
I'm kind of glad that he is finishing up but the commentary team is now basically the Triple M commentary team.

Their style can sometimes work for radio because you cant see what is happening but on TV it is really really poor.

The thing I always liked about the Triple M commentary was that they’d pretty much put everybody I *!*!*!*!ing hated in the same spot, so it was easy to avoid them. Now they’re mostly on 7 which makes it much harder.

Hotdog60
01-04-2021, 12:30 AM
I was watching a classic match from 1998 and Bruce was calling the game and he was a reasonable caller there was no creepy weirdness about him. Maybe because Carey was on the field and not sitting next to him and Cyril was still in Primary school.

jeemak
01-04-2021, 02:06 PM
I was watching a classic match from 1998 and Bruce was calling the game and he was a reasonable caller there was no creepy weirdness about him. Maybe because Carey was on the field and not sitting next to him and Cyril was still in Primary school.

Those games from the 90s really provide a point of reference to how unusual he was when he finished his career.

azabob
01-04-2021, 08:50 PM

Don’t worry, the creepy weirdness was there.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bruce-thanks-for-everything-how-bruce-mcavaney-helped-me-build-a-new-career-20210401-p57fsi.html

Hotdog60
01-04-2021, 11:47 PM
Don’t worry, the creepy weirdness was there.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bruce-thanks-for-everything-how-bruce-mcavaney-helped-me-build-a-new-career-20210401-p57fsi.html

Special :)