PDA

View Full Version : Naughton primed after full pre-season

bornadog
04-03-2021, 05:27 PM
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/872097/naughton-primed-after-full-pre-season)

https://pbs.twimg.com/ad_img/1367344212442714113/bDQDpmWP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Rising star Aaron Naughton’s has undoubtedly made his mark – at both ends of the ground – in his first three years with the Western Bulldogs.

He’s done that without a full pre-season under his belt.

In 2021, the 21-year-old is excited to show the footy world what he can do with a complete training block under his belt.

Groin issues curtailed his first pre-season, with knee setbacks the next two.

But Naughton has finally had a good run through the summer months and is already noticing the difference.

“Coming into the AFL, I had some groin injuries and then a few surgeries in my second and third years,” he told SEN on Wednesday.

“To be able to complete a pre-season and to be out training on the track at the best time of the year with the sun out, it just feels nice.

“From training so much in the pre-season, I’m just feeling more physically strong and probably my endurance is the thing that’s really stepped up because I’ve actually been able to be out on the track and train.

“Other years I’ve been trying to catch up and build that fitness for round one, where now I’ve got that body of work behind me.”

Naughton spent 2018 in defence, before swinging forward and kicking 47 goals from 35 games the past two seasons.

Teammate Josh Dunkley believes he’s ready to take another step forward.

“Aaron Naughton’s been going really well,” he said.

“He’s looking really good on the offensive end, so he’s probably our ace at the moment.

“Hopefully no-one can stop him marking contested balls – he’s going to be a powerful asset for us moving forward.”

For Naughton, he’s excited to be back in Melbourne with the prospect of playing in front of the Bulldog faithful.

A hip knock saw him miss last week’s scratch match against Hawthorn, but he’s due back against Melbourne for the AAMI Community Series game on Monday as he gets ready for round one.

“I was a bit sore and we played it safe with that, but I’ll definitely be out there against Melbourne come Monday,” Naughton said.

“We’ll see how we go. We’re treating it like a round one clash to hit the season running so it will be a full outing for us.

“It will be good to finally run out there in round one and actually have some fans there. It’s been a while, so to have the Bulldogs members and supporters there is going to be awesome because we’ve basically missed it for a whole year.”

bornadog
04-03-2021, 05:28 PM
I am hoping he wears that head band in all his games.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Showing my age here, rocking that headband with the long hair, he would not look out of place in a photo with 70's/80's tennis players like Vitas Gerulaitis, Guillermo Vilas, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg!

1eyedog
04-03-2021, 05:51 PM
I honestly believe he is one of the few players in the AFL that can change a game in one quarter and maybe even less.

ratsmac
05-03-2021, 02:03 PM
A fit Naughton gets me excited!

Vred
05-03-2021, 04:17 PM
The player at our club im most excited about, hopefully he completely dominates this year.

The bulldog tragician
05-03-2021, 06:23 PM
I am hoping he wears that head band in all his games.

He has the chutzpah to do it.

Eastdog
06-03-2021, 10:53 PM
Big year coming up for Naught in 2021.

SonofScray
07-06-2021, 11:27 PM
BUMP.

Tell you what, he is absolutely fantastic shape. His work up the field and at ground level for a guy that competes and flies for everything is astounding. I am enthralled with his attack on the ball in the air, just the volume of contests he gets to and how often he gets his hands on it is incredible.

he is one of a kind in my lifetime as a Dog's fan.

I can't believe we have a player like him AND the Bont in the squad at the same time.

bornadog
07-06-2021, 11:51 PM
All his marks in the Freo game here (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1401812421526786050)

Bulldog Joe
08-06-2021, 12:01 AM
If he actually develops a reliable kicking routine, he could be the best player in the comp, even with Bont alongside him.
Rare, rare, rare talent.

1eyedog
08-06-2021, 01:13 AM
He'll win us a final in half a quarter of football one day.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2021, 02:09 AM
Bring in Barry Hall, kicking coach, shave his head. Done.

GVGjr
08-06-2021, 09:11 AM
If he actually develops a reliable kicking routine, he could be the best player in the comp, even with Bont alongside him.
Rare, rare, rare talent.

He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.

EasternWest
08-06-2021, 10:00 AM
shave his head. Done.

Not with those ears.

Happy Days
08-06-2021, 10:45 AM
He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.

Its the ball drop. It being so high allows him to get tremendous momentum through the ball (see - his first shot against Collingwood) but also leaves so much room for error (shot in the last quarter vs Richmond, his last shot vs Freo).

Also, I heard an absolutely insane stat that ALL of Ron’s goals are from set shots this year. It’s not like he’s some immobile gorilla, and probably speaks more to how dominant he is in the air, but can we please get my man some JTGs or something? The best way to fix goal kicking issues is to kick a few with no time to think (or from the back of the square).

Happy Days
08-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Also let him play in the headband.

1eyedog
08-06-2021, 11:05 AM

Yeah in the Yarrville nets.

Naughton runs in like a high jumper. There is way too much bouncing going on and the margin for error too great.

jeemak
08-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Yeah in the Yarrville nets.

Naughton runs in like a high jumper. There is way too much bouncing going on and the margin for error too great.

Absolutely, the prancing in doesn't lend to stability.

ratsmac
08-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Absolutely, the prancing in doesn't lend to stability.

Can you not use the words prancing and Naughton in the same sentence please. It just doesn't feel right :)

Axe Man
08-06-2021, 02:32 PM
Can you not use the words prancing and Naughton in the same sentence please. It just doesn't feel right :)

Prancing Naughton sounds like a racehorse I would lose money on.

The bulldog tragician
08-06-2021, 05:00 PM
I'm confident Naughton will overcome his goalkicking issues because he seems a straightforward and confident character who won't mull over things. The 'yips' never stop him from thinking: 'You know what? Today just isn't my day. And the ball's coming in, there are 3 guys in front of me, and I'd have to fly sideways to mark that ball'. It's more like: 'Challenge accepted.'

His kicking improved a lot this year too. He has kicked some important ones at crunch times. It's his first uninterrupted year as a forward. He's an outrageous talent. No more talk of cutting his hair either, it's a big part of that exuberance.

PS the much maligned Bruce deserves some plaudits for assisting Aaron too. Most of all because he looks like he's having just as much fun as the rest of us whenever Aaron takes a specky instead of darkly rumbling about whether he should have left it for him.

bornadog
08-06-2021, 05:04 PM
PS the much maligned Bruce deserves some plaudits for assisting Aaron too. Most of all because he looks like he's having just as much fun as the rest of us whenever Aaron takes a specky instead of darkly rumbling about whether he should have left it for him.

The Grin on Juice's face when Naughton takes a speccy is priceless.

comrade
08-06-2021, 05:10 PM

Weightman is another one who gets high on Naughton's supply. Loves it when the big fella takes a screamer.

bornadog
08-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Weightman is another one who gets high on Naughton's supply. Loves it when the big fella takes a screamer.

Yes, I was going to mention him too. I love his enthusiasm.

josie
08-06-2021, 05:51 PM
Anyone else reckon Naughts and Weightman with their flowing curly blonde locks & strong builds look a bit alike? Kinda like a Mini-Me Naughts and a Major Weights? Or a 5 & a half and a 38?

josie
08-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Just on Naughton, he as an exciting a player I think I’ve seen play in my time watching, along with the Bont. And that includes other teams. Dusty and Danger and the two Reiwoldts have runs on the board for a long period but IMO Naughts only needs to stay as good as he is now for 5 or so years to be in ther stratosphere. Naughts marking ability and ground level ability and tenacity and fair aggression is simply one of the best going around. And predicting his forward play and goal kicking will improve too.

If he & Bont remain uninjured in next 5 or so years surely we snag a flag or two. To have two once inside generation players playing for club at same time and I’m inclined to add in Daniel as he is so damn clever, whilst having fantastic players like Macrae and Libba and Treloar and Dunks, now reliable player in Bruce and promising players like English and Jamarra, it’s such an exciting time right now.

Topdog
08-06-2021, 07:41 PM

To be fair Weightman seems to get super excited when another person takes a step so not the best example :)

EasternWest
08-06-2021, 08:13 PM
Anyone else reckon Naughts and Weightman with their flowing curly blonde locks & strong builds look a bit alike? Kinda like a Mini-Me Naughts and a Major Weights? Or a 5 & a half and a 38?

https://i.postimg.cc/B6TkH5gm/tenor-1.gif (https://postimages.org/)

The Underdog
08-06-2021, 09:49 PM

If only we could get Juice to take the shots at goal afterwards

Dry Rot
08-06-2021, 10:28 PM

Use the Brain Lake move

bornadog
09-06-2021, 12:04 AM

He has been so accurate this year. 34 Goals 10.

Dry Rot
09-06-2021, 12:57 AM
He has been so accurate this year. 34 Goals 10.

I reckon Bruce has been pretty good this year and around the mark of expectations of when we recruited him (as opposed to last season).

boydogs
09-06-2021, 01:37 AM
He is an absolute cat the way he lands on his feet and accelerates and he is starting to direct the ball in the air to his own advantage on the ground, never seen that before

100%, his follow through is lacking, it has dropped off more and more as he is losing confidence after a few bad weeks

Mitcha
09-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Quite obviously it is his ball drop that is the issue. Look closely and you will see his left hand (guiding hand) is more towards the back of the ball rather than side of ball as we were all taught to do as junior players. Cannot believe this has not been rectified as it has been going on for far too long and will one day cost big time in a tight game.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Quite obviously it is his ball drop that is the issue. Look closely and you will see his left hand (guiding hand) is more towards the back of the ball rather than side of ball as we were all taught to do as junior players. Cannot believe this has not been rectified as it has been going on for far too long and will one day cost big time in a tight game.

Goals
B

Round 12
Dockers

Round 11
Demons

Round 10
Saints

Round 9
Power

Round 8
Blues

Round 7
Tigers

Round 6
Giants

Round 5
Suns

Round 4
Lions

Round 3
Kangaroos

Round 2
Eagles

Round 1
Magpies

He has had some huge games this year and a couple where he couldn't miss - Port and Richmond, yet Dockers, Saints, Lions he could have bagged some huge scores

Bulldog Revolution
09-06-2021, 05:33 PM
IMO Naughton should be close to All-Australian based on what hes doing - I view him as close to the best forward in the game

Bulldog Joe
09-06-2021, 05:42 PM
Goals
B

Round 12
Dockers

Round 11
Demons

Round 10
Saints

Round 9
Power

Round 8
Blues

Round 7
Tigers

Round 6
Giants

Round 5
Suns

Round 4
Lions

Round 3
Kangaroos

Round 2
Eagles

Round 1
Magpies

He has had some huge games this year and a couple where he couldn't miss - Port and Richmond, yet Dockers, Saints, Lions he could have bagged some huge scores

He had a really bad miss in the Richmond game that could have revived our chances.

Games where he doesn't kick points do not prove he didn't miss shots. He has lots of gettable shots that he fails to score with.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2021, 05:54 PM
He could be an elite forward that kicks 100+. He’s that good. I mean Gary Ablett Sr good on potential for freakish marking.

But… missing more than 50% of the time is as bad as his as contested marking is outstanding. His job is to generate shots AND then take them say 60% of the time or better. He’s an outstanding mark but right now an better than average forward. Forwards need to convert. My great fear is that his kicking doesn’t improve to just even to GAS levels who was at 60%, who was comparatively low in the era against Lockett at 69%.

I hope for the best, that can somehow get to 60%+. He would be GAS. He would take the best defender and JUH is better than Barry Stoneham as a second KPF. There’s a dynasty there, just not like Geelong constantly shutting the bed. The sooner he turns this around the sooner we get close to unbeatable. But I’m not seeing steady progress right now. But we are bulldog people, even the most pessimistic of us all live in hope.

comrade
09-06-2021, 05:54 PM
He had a really bad miss in the Richmond game that could have revived our chances.

Games where he doesn't kick points do not prove he didn't miss shots. He has lots of gettable shots that he fails to score with.

Yeah, a significant amount of his misses are from very gettable positions. He's getting lots of good looks.

Axe Man
09-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Haven't all his goals come from set shots? It's actually his in play misses that are dragging down his accuracy. His set shot accuracy over the season has actually been reasonable I believe.

bornadog
09-06-2021, 06:09 PM
Haven't all his goals come from set shots? It's actually his in play misses that are dragging down his accuracy. His set shot accuracy over the season has actually been reasonable I believe.

Any stats for set shots?

Bulldog Joe
09-06-2021, 06:31 PM

I would be confident that a very, very high percentage of his shots are actually set shots. His ground ball gets are when he is further up the ground.

He would be missing more often than most.

He has kicked 29.26 season to date and would expect there has been at least one no score in every game.

On accuracy he is well below 50%

Axe Man
09-06-2021, 06:48 PM
I would be confident that a very, very high percentage of his shots are actually set shots. His ground ball gets are when he is further up the ground.

He would be missing more often than most.

He has kicked 29.26 season to date and would expect there has been at least one no score in every game.

On accuracy he is well below 50%

Of course they are mostly set shots. I don't know where to find set shot stats but they are often shown during the game and I recall something like 28.15, perhaps early in the game? Obviously these don't include the complete misses, but I confident his set shot accuracy is not well below 50%. Certainly before Sunday it wasn't too bad and I certainly dispute that he is missing more often than most.

comrade
09-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Of course they are mostly set shots. I don't know where to find set shot stats but they are often shown during the game and I recall something like 28.15, perhaps early in the game? Obviously these don't include the complete misses, but I confident his set shot accuracy is not well below 50%. Certainly before Sunday it wasn't too bad and I certainly dispute that he is missing more often than most.

I read a stat that Naughton's expected scoring is well below his actual scoring, i.e. he is missing shots he should be kicking based on shot location. Running at something like 7 goals below expectation.

Axe Man
09-06-2021, 06:58 PM
I read a stat that Naughton's expected scoring is well below his actual scoring, i.e. he is missing shots he should be kicking based on shot location. Running at something like 7 goals below expectation.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He is not a great kick at goal by any means, but until Sunday he has seemingly improved on past seasons. He is hardly on his own at the moment as a key forward with goal kicking issues though.

Happy Days
09-06-2021, 07:00 PM
He’s also got the most points in the AFL, which is something.