PDA

View Full Version : Will Mitch Wallis succumb to our 'leading goalkicker' curse?

Mofra
09-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Much like our old 'dud brother' curse we had to carry until Zaine Cordy laid a brutal tackle in the dying stages of the first quarter on 1 October 2016, our leading goalkickers since that fateful day have been cursed.

2017: Stringer/Picken (joint winners)
Jake Stringer decided that Tinder and KFC were both better than football and went somewhere to further his AFL career without the burden of performance or team success. .
Picken became a victim of his own incredible courage with concussion symptoms forcing him from the game.

2018: Billy Gowers
He never recaptured his 2018 form: two years later, he's living it up on the Gold Coast. Hopefully he can recapture his Instagram form too, it was amusing back in the day.

2019: Sam Lloyd
Good ol' Bong-Lips hit the ground running when he was traded for a token pick to the dogs, reuniting him with high school teammate Easton Wood. 2020 suckled for Lloyd as much as anybody, and he was a late retirement allowing the dogs to grab McNeill as a rookie for the 2021 season.

2020: Mitch Wallis
A revelation as a player who sacrificed his preferred position as a midfielder to stay loyal to the dogs and play as a permanent 'unique' forward/ He has a strong, low centre of gravity so takes one on one marks against any opponent the same height as him.

I've been as bullish on Mitch as much as anyone on this board but against Melbourne I had concerns with him. He's a quality guy, our VC, works hard but the game is faster this year and Mitch... didn't get near it.
Can he get back to his best and become a unique contributor to the team or is his spot going to under consideration?
Bevo doesn't even have JJ as a Round 1 lock so nobody is safe. Can he break the curse?

comrade
09-03-2021, 02:32 PM
I will hold fire for now, but the signs aren't great for Mitch. The rule change plus English spending more time forward means we need more pace and pressure forward than ever before and Mitch is more Jason Dunstall than Charlie Cameron. Cavarra might be breathing down his neck soon.

Bulldog Joe
09-03-2021, 02:40 PM
I will hold fire for now, but the signs aren't great for Mitch. The rule change plus English spending more time forward means we need more pace and pressure forward than ever before and Mitch is more Jason Dunstall than Charlie Cameron. Cavarra might be breathing down his neck soon.

I can't disagree with this assessment, although we do know that Mitch will do everything possible to make a relevant contribution.

A fit Mitch Hannan will also pressure his position.

comrade
09-03-2021, 02:46 PM
I can't disagree with this assessment, although we do know that Mitch will do everything possible to make a relevant contribution.

A fit Mitch Hannan will also pressure his position.

Yep, that can't be doubted.

Axe Man
09-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Good ol' Bong-Lips hit the ground running when he was traded for a token pick to the dogs, reuniting him with high school teammate Easton Wood. 2020 suckled for Lloyd as much as anybody, and he was a late retirement allowing the dogs to grab McNeill as a rookie for the 2021 season.

Sorry to be pedantic but Anthony Scott was the beneficiary of Lloyd's retirement, taking his place on the primary list. Lloyd hadn't even quit when the rookie draft took place.

Mofra
09-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but Anthony Scott was the beneficiary of Lloyd's retirement, taking his place on the primary list. Lloyd hadn't even quit when the rookie draft took place.
You're right, I stand corrected.
Either way - thank you for your generosity Lloydy

SonofScray
09-03-2021, 03:57 PM
I'm calling it. He won't be in the seniors by the mid way mark of the year. Think he is going to struggle to hold his spot in a side that has quite a lot of multipurpose tools, some which can do his job and add value in the margins.

Crazy for me, to have arrived at that point, given how much I respect and value Wally's contribution to the Club. Can just see it happening and potentially being a reflection on as really good spike in the performance of players with skill sets that offer a bit more variety.

GVGjr
09-03-2021, 06:34 PM
A great thread thanks Mofra. While I hope that this is not the case I think there is a real chance he struggles in that role this year

bornadog
09-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Every year we have a thread about Wally and how he is not best 22.

I think he will be right again and will kick a few goals, or at the very least create some goals. He is a real leader and someone we need in the forward line.

ratsmac
09-03-2021, 10:38 PM
I think he'll be right. Yeah there will be games where he won't kick many or any goals but he has a good footy brain and will pop up when its his turn. He wasn't fast last year so he doesn't rely on leg speed to get the footy. He's a strong man and a good mark. Our forward line looked un organised against Melbourne so when/if we get that sorted he'll play a role there. One thing we know about Mitch is he won't die wondering.

jeemak
09-03-2021, 10:49 PM

What sort of tenure did we give him?

Axe Man
10-03-2021, 10:32 AM
What sort of tenure did we give him?

Someone should put together a thread with this kind of info.

Ozza
10-03-2021, 01:51 PM
Every year we have a thread about Wally and how he is not best 22.

I think he will be right again and will kick a few goals, or at the very least create some goals. He is a real leader and someone we need in the forward line.

Reminds me of pre-season commentary on Liam Picken year after year (prior to 2016)...."not sure where he fits in the side etc".

Mofra
10-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Reminds me of pre-season commentary on Liam Picken year after year (prior to 2016)...."not sure where he fits in the side etc".
I've been one of Mitch's biggest supporters before this year but this isn't just about Mitch.
It's our latest curse that needs breaking. We beat a prelim curse and a dud brother curse which were tough ones, but we need to recognise this voodoo for what it is.

Ozza
10-03-2021, 03:04 PM
No problems with the premise of the OP about the curse!

Happy Days
10-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Maybe Mitch can start wearing the #19 and the curses can cancel each other out.

EasternWest
10-03-2021, 04:26 PM
Someone should put together a thread with this kind of info.

I don't think anyone on this board has the nous or the chutzpah to do it.

Axe Man
10-03-2021, 04:32 PM
I don't think anyone on this board has the nous or the chutzpah to do it.

I have contacted Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates. They have pooled their vast resources and are working on a solution that has the potential to benefit all of humanity.

AshMac
10-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Great post - interesting conversation. I thought he looked way off it on Monday but I also thought in general the delivery into the forward line was awful and the setup every time the ball came in was too.

I have huge confidence he’ll work hard and find a way to make his role valuable this year. Time will tell of course.

Bulldog Joe
10-03-2021, 09:14 PM
I've been one of Mitch's biggest supporters before this year but this isn't just about Mitch.
It's our latest curse that needs breaking. We beat a prelim curse and a dud brother curse which were tough ones, but we need to recognise this voodoo for what it is.

So what we need is a constructive year from Mitch Wallis including playing in winning finals and a major goal kicker in a winning GF.

That would beat the curse!!

I would be onboard for that.

AshMac
11-03-2021, 08:41 PM
So what we need is a constructive year from Mitch Wallis including playing in winning finals and a major goal kicker in a winning GF.

Take it easy. You forgot the norm smith....

Bulldog Joe
11-03-2021, 10:36 PM
Take it easy. You forgot the norm smith....

Leave that for Bont.

Mofra
15-03-2021, 10:25 AM

The only way we win the GF is if JUH plays - it took a no 1 pick last time to have the game of his life.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Every year I write Mitch off and every year he finds a way to contribute.

I do worry about our forward set-up with Bruce/Naughton/English/Wallis and I think that if Hannan gets himself fit or Cavarra finds form, both would be preferable to Wallis from a skill set point of view.

I think Mitch is up against it, which means he'll probably be our most consistent player.

1eyedog
15-03-2021, 10:58 PM
Mitch has high football acumen. Its almost the single most important trait when playing forward when you're under 190cm.

comrade
20-03-2021, 02:25 AM
Not sure tonight made much of a case that Mitch can break the curse. Our entries don't help of course but he just couldn't find any separation and was pretty much a non factor.

Hotdog60
21-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Collingwood flooding back didn't help it was very congested in our forward half.
Had one look front and square for a behind and dropped one on the lead.
Hard to tell on the Tele but we did seem to just bomb it in on occasions which just helped out Moore and Howe.

FrediKanoute
21-03-2021, 09:31 PM
Every year I write Mitch off and every year he finds a way to contribute.

I do worry about our forward set-up with Bruce/Naughton/English/Wallis and I think that if Hannan gets himself fit or Cavarra finds form, both would be preferable to Wallis from a skill set point of view.

I think Mitch is up against it, which means he'll probably be our most consistent player.

Why? Mitch didn't impact the scoreboard against the Pies, but his first half especially was one of hard work. Handballs to space, pressure on the ball carrier. To me Mitch's game was better than most give him credit for. I don't think Cavarra could have brought that to the game. Hannan? He is s different player entirely.

Ozza
22-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Not sure tonight made much of a case that Mitch can break the curse. Our entries don't help of course but he just couldn't find any separation and was pretty much a non factor.

Thought he seemed to get up higher, and create some space behind him for the big boys. Actually noticed him more visibly defending, which hasn't been his greatest strength.

dog town
23-03-2021, 07:52 AM
Wallis actually got a few good looks on Friday night. He had a couple of deep one out contests he would normally win, one against Quaynor he took space early but grassed the mark.

Also got missed on the lead a couple of times. If he keeps working hard it will turn for him I think. He is a selfless player I just hope he doesn’t feel the pressure and go away from his selfless style.

AshMac
24-03-2021, 09:33 AM
Leave that for Bont.

Fair enough. He can store it next to his Brownlow

bulldogtragic
30-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Much like our old 'dud brother' curse we had to carry until Zaine Cordy laid a brutal tackle in the dying stages of the first quarter on 1 October 2016, our leading goalkickers since that fateful day have been cursed.

2017: Stringer/Picken (joint winners)
Jake Stringer decided that Tinder and KFC were both better than football and went somewhere to further his AFL career without the burden of performance or team success. .
Picken became a victim of his own incredible courage with concussion symptoms forcing him from the game.

2018: Billy Gowers
He never recaptured his 2018 form: two years later, he's living it up on the Gold Coast. Hopefully he can recapture his Instagram form too, it was amusing back in the day.

2020: Mitch Wallis
A revelation as a player who sacrificed his preferred position as a midfielder to stay loyal to the dogs and play as a permanent 'unique' forward/ He has a strong, low centre of gravity so takes one on one marks against any opponent the same height as him.

I've been as bullish on Mitch as much as anyone on this board but against Melbourne I had concerns with him. He's a quality guy, our VC, works hard but the game is faster this year and Mitch... didn't get near it.
Can he get back to his best and become a unique contributor to the team or is his spot going to under consideration?
Bevo doesn't even have JJ as a Round 1 lock so nobody is safe. Can he break the curse?

No. I’m calling it now. This doesn’t have to do with loving him and his family’s contribution to our club:

- A few games then demoted
- Scott & McNeil as first year players preferred
- JJ taken from half back and preferred forward
- When we needed reinforcements, Weightman & Hannan came in
- Moved to play as a midfielder in the VFL
- Even when injuries hit, we preferred debuting Garcia (Butler sub)
- Not on the plane to Sydney - to play Freo
- Means 10 H&A games where a string of guns coming back
- VFL fixture to be impacted

- Mitch is a Free Agent
- GVGjr says North with some degree of interest
- Previous interest by GCS & Essendon
- We need the pick/draft points from likely 3rd round compo

- I think Mitch is going and we may not see him again. There is no joy is saying this.

azabob
30-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Also not in the 27 that travelled to Sydney this week.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2021, 08:33 PM
Also not in the 27 that travelled to Sydney this week.

My poor language about Freo. I’ve not been this certain so far out, save for Dahl and Higgins.

Grantysghost
31-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Johnno reckons he should explore his options. Hard to argue.

-----

“Mitch has fought through scenarios like this in the past, but I think where we’re at at the moment is there seems like there’s five or six players that are in front of Mitch in terms of selection week in, week out,” Bulldogs great Johnson told Fox Footy.
“Some are younger and developing in the game. They’ve brought Mitch Hannan in who seems to be playing in front of Mitch Wallis at the moment as well.

“On the back of all that, if he wants to play consistent senior football, I’m not sure whether that’s going to be at the Western Bulldogs in the future.
“(It would be a) really tough decision … but he’s just not in the selection mind at the moment of Luke Beveridge with others around.
“For me, it might be time to play senior football elsewhere.”
Wallis is currently an unrestricted free agent with Dogs CEO Ameet Bains admitting a lack of senior opportunities has frustrated (https://bit.ly/3fqgMGp) the 28-year-old.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/30/western-bulldogs-great-weighs-in-on-fringe-forwards-future/

bulldogtragic
31-05-2021, 11:19 AM
The only thing left is whether the AFEL sees it fit to gives us third round compo. You’d think we get it as Isaac Smith got Hawthorn a third rounder based on 2 years (& yes there’s complex formulas). Pick 52 right now.

comrade
31-05-2021, 11:20 AM
The only thing left is whether the AFEL sees it fit to gives us third round compo. You’d think we get it as Isaac Smith got Hawthorn a third rounder based on 2 years (& yes there’s complex formulas). Pick 52 right now.

That’s about right.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2021, 11:24 AM
That’s about right.

Pick 52 = 246 Draft Points towards Sam Darcy.

Very helpful draft points.

comrade
31-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Pick 52 = 246 Draft Points towards Sam Darcy.

Very helpful draft points.

Going to be tough to match points for Darcy and bring in a good key defender which is actually our most pressing need in terms of winning a flag.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2021, 11:38 AM
Going to be tough to match points for Darcy and bring in a good key defender which is actually our most pressing need in terms of winning a flag.

We can trade down our first rounder for more points (hinging a club another first) &/or put up a future first &/or put up a player or if a player requests a trade (media reports are North & Bris are after Richards).

It’s going to cost us, but I agree and think we need to do something to secure a good KPD. Fringe trades for points, or compo, will help too.

comrade
31-05-2021, 11:42 AM
We can trade down our first rounder for more points (hinging a club another first) &/or put up a future first &/or put up a player or if a player requests a trade (media reports are North & Bris are after Richards).

It’s going to cost us, but I agree and think we need to do something to secure a good KPD. Fringe trades for points, or compo, will help too.

I don't want to hijack the thread but how our list management team thought we could compete with the best sides this year with Keath/Cordy/Gardner/Young as our key defensive pillars is very confusing to me. Obviously you can only bring in players who want to come to the club but this is a problem years in the making.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2021, 11:47 AM
The interesting question is how many clubs will pursue Wallis

Assuming he wants to stay in Melbourne. North, St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood ??

comrade
31-05-2021, 11:52 AM
The interesting question is how many clubs will pursue Wallis

Assuming he wants to stay in Melbourne. North, St Kilda, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood ??

North may want some leadership without coughing up anything and they have oodles of cap space that needs spending. Seems the perfect destination for him.

Topdog
31-05-2021, 12:23 PM
North may want some leadership without coughing up anything and they have oodles of cap space that needs spending. Seems the perfect destination for him.

Would hate to see him there but he would be perfect for Essendon.

comrade
31-05-2021, 12:25 PM

I think with Caldwell and Shiel to return, their mid depth is pretty good. I'd imagine if Mitch is leaving the Dogs, he's going to a side where he is locked in as best 22.

SquirrelGrip
31-05-2021, 12:44 PM
I think with Caldwell and Shiel to return, their mid depth is pretty good. I'd imagine if Mitch is leaving the Dogs, he's going to a side where he is locked in as best 22.

If I was Mitch, I'd be heading to Gold Coast. They are hanging out for a leader like him. Mitch has all the attributes to make a great coach, it's time to start planning post-footy career too, and the club he goes to needs that pathway for him.

Bulldog Joe
31-05-2021, 12:50 PM

I would prefer him at North over Essendon.

Mofra
31-05-2021, 01:08 PM
If I was Mitch, I'd be heading to Gold Coast. They are hanging out for a leader like him. Mitch has all the attributes to make a great coach, it's time to start planning post-footy career too, and the club he goes to needs that pathway for him.
Where does he play there though?
Alex Sexton is a gun forward and has been left out of the side a couple of times this year due to defensive pressure.
He won't get midfield time there, especially after another pre-season into Anderson and Rowell to return.

His best bet is the Libba type role at Essendon where his dad has business dealings with an Bombers coterie member. I think with a young family he doesn't want to leave Victoria, his partner is a Melbourne girl so leaving two sets of grandparents just isn't on the cards.

Mofra
31-05-2021, 01:09 PM
I would prefer him at North over Essendon.
North are stacking their midfield so unless he wants to play forward I'm not sure North go for it.
They'll get Horne at the end of the year to go with Simpkin/Powell/Lazzaro/Cunnington etc.

GVGjr
01-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Just reading through this thread and I wonder if there is another 'curse' we should consider
Over the last few years we've been challenged by players moving into the leadership group and then quickly out of the group.
JT, Hunter, Dunks and now Wallis who are all great blokes and club men have all been moved into the leadership group and for a variety of reasons moved out of the group within 12 months. Granted I'm assuming Wallis will be gone at the end of the season.
JT and Wallis with form, Hunter with his car accident and Dunkley after looking to move elsewhere have all moved through the leadership ranks quickly.

Scraggers
01-06-2021, 03:54 PM
I think this is where Bevo's 'adapt or die' mantra has not suited Wally. Yes, he has played out of the midfield, wing and forward pocket, but at Wally's height and speed he needs to be more adaptable to be able to replace all and not just Libba (as mentioned previous in this thread). Could he play a lock down role in a backpocket?

jeemak
02-06-2021, 03:36 AM
Just reading through this thread and I wonder if there is another 'curse' we should consider
Over the last few years we've been challenged by players moving into the leadership group and then quickly out of the group.
JT, Hunter, Dunks and now Wallis who are all great blokes and club men have all been moved into the leadership group and for a variety of reasons moved out of the group within 12 months. Granted I'm assuming Wallis will be gone at the end of the season.
JT and Wallis with form, Hunter with his car accident and Dunkley after looking to move elsewhere have all moved through the leadership ranks quickly.

And the point is?

GVGjr
02-06-2021, 09:38 AM
And the point is?

We haven't had a lot of luck on the players in the leadership group.
Is this observation of another potential curse a problem for you?

1eyedog
02-06-2021, 11:19 AM

It's a good question, we should be looking at the way we select our leaders and why we select them.

Hunter - generally fairly loose guy, loves a punt, is a bit of a lad, got drunk and crashed his car. Has an infectious personality and was well liked. Football smart as well. Bad choice by the players but understandable.

Roughly/ JT - same applies to both players. Consummate professionals, great clubmen, well liked. Both squeezed out because of their limitations. JTs time was up and something soured between Roughie and the club that made it untenable for him to be here. The club viewed both as surplus so we made a decision to move them on/ delist them. Happens all the time.

Dunks: Got a bigger, longer offer to play elsewhere and wanted to take it. It's just business but it hurt because he was in line for the VC role following Hunter's indiscretion.

Wallis was a bad, reactive decision by the club following Hunter's indiscretion, which created a bit of a leadership vacuum I.e. Dunks / Hunter. Wally had just finished up a great year, is highly professional and well liked. I understand why he was chosen but the decision came with risk re. he had never really solidified a spot in the 22 over an extended period. Also, not long after Wally was made VC we got Martin in which implied we had the intention of playing English forward. Wally's position basically became null and void overnight. I mean he was basically playing as a key forward and as if we would / could play him in front of English!

In hindsight awarding him the VC role was badly managed by us, we essentially awarded him and almost at the same time we replaced him.

We've had bad luck is it a curse? Is a curse a series of unfortunately events? In hindsight, Hunter and Wally were bad choices by the players / club. JT and Roughie were solid citizens and safe choices, but there was risk re. whether they were best 22. But that wasn't too bad as they were in the leadership group and not a VC. Wally's appointment was a disaster, risky best 22 proposition and essentially had his position replaced on the eve of his promotion.

Anyway, hopefully this settles down. We have a great, young leader and it looks like Dunks is staying so expect him to sign a big contract and get the VC role he should have and would have had had Essington not come knocking. He's our VC. A solid citizen and a great player.

Bulldog Joe
02-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Those that blame bad luck for things that don't work will continue to take actions that don't work out. They then blame bad luck.

jeemak
02-06-2021, 03:58 PM

Sorry, not at all. I just don't think it's something to be too concerned about as all of the situations are different, had different causes etc.

Wally's an interesting one. It's not as if he wasn't given an opportunity to play a role with us this year, with the reality being that he was and just stunk it up over a couple of practice outings and two rounds of the real stuff.

Happy Days
02-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Some of us (me) cast doubt on the manner in which Wallis was kicking his goals and whether it was replicable both against better defences and when teams had sufficient footage on him. He relied a lot on service and did almost nothing in the air or on the ground to create his chances last year.

Its sad but wasn’t unforeseeable.

bornadog
02-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Some of us (me) cast doubt on the manner in which Wallis was kicking his goals and whether it was replicable both against better defences and when teams had sufficient footage on him. He relied a lot on service and did almost nothing in the air or on the ground to create his chances last year.

Its sad but wasn’t unforeseeable.

I know he isn't quick, but is he capable of just trying to crumb the ball when Naughton and Bruce bring the ball to ground?

However, the other issue is the lack of speed doesn't allow him to be a pressure forward.

1eyedog
02-06-2021, 06:22 PM
I know he isn't quick, but is he capable of just trying to crumb the ball when Naughton and Bruce bring the ball to ground?

However, the other issue is the lack of speed doesn't allow him to be a pressure forward.

He isn't even playing forward in the VFL so he's competing for a midfield spot again it seems. Couldn't crack a look even with Dunks and Treloar out.

bornadog
02-06-2021, 06:28 PM
He isn't even playing forward in the VFL so he's competing for a midfield spot again it seems. Couldn't crack a look even with Dunks and Treloar out.

He went back to playing forward the last game:

16 disposals, five tackles, one goal
“’Wall’ spent time predominantly as a forward, which was good for him. He competed well all night and sat under a few uncomfortable positions in the aerial contests, but it was good to see him follow through and get on the end of a goal, which was a nice reward for his hard work.”

GVGjr
02-06-2021, 06:45 PM
Sorry, not at all. I just don't think it's something to be too concerned about as all of the situations are different, had different causes etc.

Wally's an interesting one. It's not as if he wasn't given an opportunity to play a role with us this year, with the reality being that he was and just stunk it up over a couple of practice outings and two rounds of the real stuff.

We have had long term stability in our coaches and yet for various reasons the leadership group hasn't been able to settle.
I think we need to get Dunks and Treloar onto that group for next season and maybe there is a leadership gap we need to address since Wood moved off the group.
I'd like to see it settle down around the exceptional Bontempelli

Vred
03-06-2021, 01:51 AM
We have had long term stability in our coaches and yet for various reasons the leadership group hasn't been able to settle.
I think we need to get Dunks and Treloar onto that group for next season and maybe there is a leadership gap we need to address since Wood moved off the group.
I'd like to see it settle down around the exceptional Bontempelli

Adz, Dunks and I'd almost say Libba as well to enter our leadership group next year, I was never a fan of just Cap/VC, I'd like to see a few of the boys step up and do it.

jeemak
03-06-2021, 02:28 AM
Adz, Dunks and I'd almost say Libba as well to enter our leadership group next year, I was never a fan of just Cap/VC, I'd like to see a few of the boys step up and do it.

Two guys with history of long term injury concerns and another guy who has done two knees will fix our vice captaincy issues?

How about we just put Lachie back in given he was our first choice in most recent years and has paid his penance for shitting the bed last year.......

The bulldog tragician
03-06-2021, 10:31 AM
Is there some reason Jack Macrae never comes into this leadership group discussion? He seems to have all the desired traits.

Axe Man
03-06-2021, 10:40 AM

Leadership groups are a wank in my opinion. Natural leaders will lead whether they have a title or not (eg Hunter). Putting someone unsuited to leading in a leadership group also does not magically make them a leader. C/VC (could have 2 VCs) is fine with me.

Grantysghost
03-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Is there some reason Jack Macrae never comes into this leadership group discussion? He seems to have all the desired traits.

My feel is he wouldn't really want to do it. I remember sitting at a function with a former player and Jackson was presented with an award which meant he had to speak.

The other players were having a great time ribbing him as he made his way up on stage. I enquired as to why the answer was something along the lines of he hates it (public speaking).
I agree with you though if he could overcome that / work on it he has many of the pre-requisites.

Mofra
03-06-2021, 12:20 PM
Leadership groups are a wank in my opinion. Natural leaders will lead whether they have a title or not (eg Hunter). Putting someone unsuited to leading in a leadership group also does not magically make them a leader. C/VC (could have 2 VCs) is fine with me.
There's merit in this. Stef Martin seems to have done wonders for Sweet's development (and English) making him our 'ruck leader', but making that title official would be ridiculous.
There's an old adage that says leadership is a behaviour not a title.

GVGjr
03-06-2021, 12:41 PM

He's a really nice bloke but very quiet. I'm not sure he would be a great leader.

Bulldog4life
03-06-2021, 03:34 PM
He's a really nice bloke but very quiet. I'm not sure he would be a great leader.

He helps others in his own way. Sweety said that out of all the midfielders Jacko was the most helpful for him.

EasternWest
04-06-2021, 11:03 AM
He helps others in his own way. Sweety said that out of all the midfielders Jacko was the most helpful for him.

"Just tap it near me, Jordy. I'll do the rest".

jazzadogs
12-09-2021, 12:54 AM
I want to give a shout-out to Wallis. When I saw him celebrating after the siren, my heart broke for him.

Will be the only guy to be on the list in 2016 and 2021 and not get to play in either Grand Final. A true clubman, a great leader and I hope that he is able to enjoy the next two weeks.

Vred
12-09-2021, 01:35 AM
I want to give a shout-out to Wallis. When I saw him celebrating after the siren, my heart broke for him.

Will be the only guy to be on the list in 2016 and 2021 and not get to play in either Grand Final. A true clubman, a great leader and I hope that he is able to enjoy the next two weeks.

I kinda want him as our medical sub to be honest, if anyone on our list deserves a crack at it its him. Get him a flag and let him retire / move to another club in peace.

jazzadogs
12-09-2021, 01:41 AM
I kinda want him as our medical sub to be honest, if anyone on our list deserves a crack at it its him. Get him a flag and let him retire / move to another club in peace.

I'm not against it, but we know it will be Scott or Richards.

The bulldog tragician
12-09-2021, 01:44 AM
I'm not against it, but we know it will be Scott or Richards.

It’s desperately sad, his chances ruined by the lack of VFL to demonstrate form.

jeemak
12-09-2021, 04:10 AM
He's not for this team, it's sad, but it is what it is.

Footy's tough.

boydogs
17-09-2021, 01:41 AM
Is he really that much worse than Anthony Scott? Won our goalkicking last year, can tag and play in and under. A tad slow but as the sub coming on when the game has slowed he could be an important and versatile contributor

The Adelaide Connection
17-09-2021, 03:06 AM
Is he really that much worse than Anthony Scott? Won our goalkicking last year, can tag and play in and under. A tad slow but as the sub coming on when the game has slowed he could be an important and versatile contributor

Is the sub likely to be one of either Richards, VDM, or JJ though? Three players with speed and a history of being played forward and back under Bevo.

Unfortunately I think Mitch is likely to be sitting further back in the pecking order in a club with a pretty full list to choose from.

Happy Days
17-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Wal is just too damn slow to be a “play a role” type. It really hinders his versatility and his effectiveness in spots other than midfield or ostensible KPF.

Topdog
17-09-2021, 12:39 PM

Conversely when the game has slowed a bit and you bring on someone with speed you give yourself a good advantage. JJ against Brisbane being a really good example.

Axe Man
17-09-2021, 12:46 PM

Lin Jong too.

Axe Man
17-09-2021, 12:49 PM
This is all class from the Wallis clan:

Another bittersweet grand final for a family of the Bulldog breed (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/another-bittersweet-grand-final-for-a-family-of-the-bulldog-breed-20210914-p58rmb.html)

Former Footscray captain Steve Wallis knows what it is to have mixed feeling watching the Bulldogs play in, and win, a grand final. It happened in 2016 when his son Mitch had a broken leg and missed playing in the drought-breaking premiership.

This time again Mitch, the club’s vice captain, will, unless there is a stunning selection shift, be the luckless casualty of a side driving to a grand final and a chance at another premiership.

Steve, like Mitch, will be cheering just as hard for the Dogs, regardless of whether a Wallis is on the field, but has tinges of disappointment for his son. To that end, it has been Mitch who has been pushing the family to embrace the team and not worry about his own position.

“I think people know who we are as people - we are bigger than (getting upset about) that,” Steve said.

“We know that the club is the club, and that is who we support.

“I have had to get the mind around it, but I have. We have got to not miss the fact we are a big Bulldogs family. I was in the crowd in 2016 with all my family cheering like buggery, and it felt disappointing - for Mitch - that time. This one is equally hard. But I will be cheering just as hard.

“There’s a lot of people in Mitch’s position every year. It has been a bit challenging for him this year, but it is just one of those things. There is no doubt he will be backing them in 100 per cent as the family will.

“I have seen plenty of people go through this same scenario. He is my son, I understand that, but the character he has shown in adversity has been unbelievable from a parenting point of view.

“As much as we have had our ups and downs in supporting him and feeling his disappointment, he has led the way for us to feel comfortable, if that makes sense, and to look at the broader picture that he has a lot of teammates there that he loves and wants them to do well.

“He gets off the canvas all the time, and has had to several times this year, but he has done it with unbelievable dignity. No one will know or care about that, but as a parent you do.

“It’s going to be a fantastic game, I am really looking forward to it.”

Wallis is a story of disappointment for this grand final. The vice-captain to Marcus Bontempelli, he has been squeezed out of a midfield of powerful but similarly-paced inside midfielders - Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, and Jackson Macrae - and had to re-craft himself into a forward this year.

As a medium-sized target he was powerful and had good games, but Anthony Scott and Mitch Hannan have been preferred to him. Hannan had one of his best games for the Dogs in the preliminary final and did well playing as a defensive forward on Steven May when the Dogs played Melbourne previously this year.

As a football realist, Steve Wallis is philosophical of the squeeze on his son’s position and just excited at the idea of another flag. He is also confident the Dogs have the edge on the Demons, in part due to the inventiveness in the coaches’ box, and in part from the bond and sacrifice of the Dogs’ players.

“What a grand final - imagine it was here,” Steve said.

“It’s just going to be fantastic, what a great job the AFL have done to give us a game. It’s been a great season, (and) I think the football has been better, so there’s been some real positives.”

Ozza
17-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Its a really sad situation with Mitch.

You'd have to think that with missing the prelim 23, AND we have 2 more coming back - that is his approximately 26th in line theoretically.

Such terrific bloke and family. Would love for him to be medi-sub but unfortunately can't see it happening.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-09-2021, 02:22 PM
It’s really heartbreaking for Mitch. He’s as bulldog as they come. It’s not through lack of effort, he just doesn’t have the pace or height required up forward.

I hope he realises he’s played a big part in our last flag and getting to the gf this year. Vice captain this year, he’d have an enormous influence through his leadership. The ultimate professional he’d set an amazing example for a lot of the young guys. It’s why premiership medals should be given to everyone on the list IMO (or at least those who have played a game).

boydogs
18-09-2021, 02:42 AM
Conversely when the game has slowed a bit and you bring on someone with speed you give yourself a good advantage. JJ against Brisbane being a really good example.

We never used it that way when Gia was around

bulldogtragic
18-09-2021, 08:26 AM
Just when you think you can’t love Steve Wallis any more. It’s a known fact some FS dads can get pissed off publicly known if their boy doesn’t play. He’s beyond awesome.

Happy Days
18-09-2021, 10:54 AM
We never used it that way when Gia was around

We also came like 14th and had a moron for a coach. This way is much better.

boydogs
19-09-2021, 10:32 AM
We also came like 14th and had a moron for a coach. This way is much better.

I think Gia was almost our leading goalkicker from about 9 sub games that year. A lot didn't work back then but I thought Gia's use was good

Mofra
12-11-2022, 05:18 PM
Well, I feel a little responsible here.

Can Naughton finally break the curse?

EasternWest
12-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Well, I feel a little responsible here.

Can Naughton finally break the curse?

Mofra wants Naughton delisted.

Mofra
12-11-2022, 07:19 PM
Mofra wants Naughton delisted.
I may have to go into hiding...

jeemak
12-11-2022, 11:51 PM
I may have to go into hiding...

I can help you with some coping mechanisms now that you're a pariah.

The big watch out for you is if someone acting like Jason Statham enters your life brandishing macaroons, as nice as they might seem they may come with a bashing.