PDA

View Full Version : Starting the season against Collingwood this week. I feel:

mjp
14-03-2021, 07:34 PM
How are you feeling heading into the weekend?

bornadog
14-03-2021, 07:37 PM
Full of confidence as usual, I think we will scare the competition after the big win on Friday. :D

GVGjr
14-03-2021, 07:42 PM
A healthy level of anxiety but confident we are in for a good night against them which kick starts a great year. I'd expect this one to have a bit of spirit and perhaps a genuine rivalry can be started against them.

soupman
14-03-2021, 07:53 PM
Much better with Treloar in the side. Not because I necessarily think he adds that much to our side, but more so because I think he greatly negates the likelihood of us just not turning up as we failed to do last year.

I think we will win.

CarnTheScray
14-03-2021, 09:04 PM
I am rarely confident going into close games, only time I was confident was the grand final.

But, I feel we will send a message to the comp on Friday night.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2021, 11:13 PM
I have my concerns about the list, but I think it's now or never - we must win this one and we should win it.

I'm confident we'll get the job done.

Hotdog60
14-03-2021, 11:18 PM
When Treloar sends through his first goal he'll turn to the Wobbles coaching box and kiss the jumper.

Topdog
15-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Nervous, I'm pretty pessimistic in general but gee these Dogs make me nervous.

hujsh
15-03-2021, 01:05 PM
I went for OK because it added a question mark to 'We will give a good account of ourselves'. I'm pretty unsure of what we'll dish up so no idea how to feel.

Eastdog
15-03-2021, 01:11 PM
I voted for I’m OK will give a good account of ourselves so I’m in the middle but yeah a little nervous as well.

1eyedog
15-03-2021, 01:43 PM
We're bipolar. We could beat Collingwood by 10 goals or completely shit the bed again. I have have absolutely no idea what we'll serve up. That's a key to this season reduce the gap between our best and worst. If that means becoming more consistent well that's it then.

Mofra
15-03-2021, 02:33 PM
If we can't beat Collingwood we're not serious.
I rate their defence really highly but they've lost Adams short term and Treloar permanently - we really should win this in the middle. Grundy will have to deal with Martin at the stoppages rather than a developing English.

I have no idea what team will run out on Friday though, senior players having entire pre-seasons in the VFL so who knows who runs out. We were terrible against Hawthorn and good against a Demons side missing 3 of their 4 best midfielders so we have no gauge on form.

Doc26
15-03-2021, 02:57 PM
I really don't know but hoping that we kick the season off well. What I am hoping to see is Grundy's influence negated, and that our goal-kicking woes are behind us. Really looking forward to Friday night but, as with my style, with some nervousness going into round one.

Axe Man
15-03-2021, 03:52 PM
If we can't beat Collingwood we're not serious.
I rate their defence really highly but they've lost Adams short term and Treloar permanently - we really should win this in the middle. Grundy will have to deal with Martin at the stoppages rather than a developing English.

I have no idea what team will run out on Friday though, senior players having entire pre-seasons in the VFL so who knows who runs out. We were terrible against Hawthorn and good against a Demons side missing 3 of their 4 best midfielders so we have no gauge on form.

Taylor Adams seems likely to play. Steele Sidebottom looks like he will miss.

Adams puts up hand for R1, but another star Pie reduced to walking (https://www.afl.com.au/news/561149/adams-puts-up-hand-for-r1-but-another-star-pie-reduced-to-walking)

COLLINGWOOD vice-captain Taylor Adams put his hand up for round one with a faultless display in the Pies' final intraclub of the pre-season on Thursday night.

Adams looked sharp in the hour-long hitout to assure the Pies' match committee he's over the hamstring he strained in early February and ready to face the Western Bulldogs next Friday.

After a gradual build-up to full fitness it was the first proper match simulation Adams has been part of since his injury.

The reigning best and fairest started in the 'A' side's midfield in the 18-versus-18 session at the feet of Brodie Grundy and alongside Scott Pendlebury and Jordan De Goey.

With Steele Sidebottom (calf) reduced to walking laps and facing an uphill battle to tackle the Dogs, Josh Daicos and Jamie Elliott also rotated through the same midfield.

Tyler Brown and John Noble were the preferred wingmen, while fringe forward Josh Thomas played in the 'A' line-up at the feet of Brody Mihocek and Mason Cox as ruck/forward option Darcy Cameron watched on.

Brayden Maynard (shin knock) walked laps and completed light jogging allowing to form Jack Madgen part of the 'A' side's back six with Darcy Moore, Jeremy Howe, Jordan Roughead, Isaac Quaynor and Jack Crisp.

Provided Maynard returns, it gives the Pies several options from the 'B' side to make up the starting 22 to tackle the Dogs should Sidebottom and Cameron not be selected.

eteran Chris Mayne was stationed on a wing in his return from concussion, while exciting draftee Ollie Henry was busy in attack alongside Callum Brown and Trey Ruscoe.

Brayden Sier joined them in the 'B' line-up and remains in calculations to win a senior berth against the Dogs.

Finlay Macrae also rotated through the midfield and Levi Greenwood was used at half-back.

Irishman Mark Keane played a half in his first match back from a finger injury, having also completed earlier running with draftee Reef McInnes who is returning from the same setback.

Second-year midfielder/defender Trent Bianco was another to sit out having played a full game in the VFL practice match five days prior.

DOG GOD
16-03-2021, 06:57 PM
I’m expecting Grundy and DeGoey to have big games.

mjp
16-03-2021, 07:33 PM
I’m expecting Grundy and DeGoey to have big games.

That's the spirit! :-)

merantau
17-03-2021, 06:55 AM
I am feeling quietly confident. I'm expecting to win after being challenged a couple of times. It will be a hard earned win.

Bulldog Joe
17-03-2021, 08:12 AM
When you look at our fixture, we have an enormous opportunity to declare our credentials.

While the games are not certainties we should really win each of our first 6.

Round 1 Collingwood - Surely the off season has been destabilising for them and we have no excuse.
Round 2 West Coast at Docklands - This is must win if we are a contender
Round 3 North - Doesn't need explanation
Round 4 Brisbane at Ballarat - Our Deck and they haven't travelled much in the last year.
Round 5 Suns at Docklands - Same reasons as Round 4
Round 6 Giants in Canberra - Giants have a weaker list than last year and we should be stronger.

Now I know we just don't win that many consecutive games, but it is an opportunity that we should be primed for.

I just wish had the faith in the coaches and match committee to put a committed team on the park.

Happy Days
17-03-2021, 09:10 AM
If we don’t beat them I’ll be pretty shocked. We’re better than them everywhere and De Goey aside they don’t have the sort of dynamism up forward that can really expose our structural weakness down back.

Plus they literally just gave their best guy to us for nothing that will be seen on field on Friday, which should be as clear an example of a balance swing you’ll see in footy.

mjp
17-03-2021, 10:21 AM
If we don’t beat them I’ll be pretty shocked.

They are strong (BACK) where we are weak (FORWARD).

Howe is a brilliant player and a real difference maker. I don't share the Collingwood 'doom and gloom' narrative and all the off-field stuff can really bring a playing group together.

This is a huge challenge.

SonofScray
17-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Don’t trust Bevo or this side to put their best foot forward anymore. They need to win that back after four years of mostly joyless, run of the mill footy.

The Clib is capable. The talent is there. I expect I’ll feel better about things by R5

Topdog
17-03-2021, 12:24 PM
They are strong (BACK) where we are weak (FORWARD).

Howe is a brilliant player and a real difference maker. I don't share the Collingwood 'doom and gloom' narrative and all the off-field stuff can really bring a playing group together.

This is a huge challenge.

Yeah I dont get the doom and gloom stuff. They had a really poor off-season but their squad still has a lot of strengths.

They may struggle with goals this year but that is our weakest point too!

Happy Days
17-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Doom and gloom aside, they’ve traded three best 22 players away (including one top 3 player) for nothing that will be seen on field on Friday, and their best outside mid (and maybe their best mid full stop) has just been ruled out. No one loves Howe more than me as a player, but we saw against Melbourne that a great deal of our scoring can come from the middle when we’re way on top in that area, which will hopefully mean goals from general play and shallow entries that should help mitigate his (Howe’s) aerial dominance.

I think we’ll be too good for them.

dog town
17-03-2021, 06:35 PM
I expect Collingwood to be very good again so I’m 50/50 with this one. Their list is still very good and we haven’t beaten them in a while now.

DOG GOD
17-03-2021, 06:51 PM
That's the spirit! :-)

I honestly don’t think having Martin will stop Grundy in his tracks and become mediocre against us. He loves playing us, and I think his around the ground play will still dominate.

DeGoey is a really good player if he’s fit and his head is in the right place. Round 1, I’m expecting that, and ...I don’t rate our backline..at all, so I’m expecting him to kick 5+ if he’s ready to go.

The bulldog tragician
17-03-2021, 07:13 PM
I will own up to being in the “fearing 2020 flashbacks” camp.

This group have tantalised, and disappointed, in the past few years.

I also don’t see Collingwood as easy beats; they are also a club that thrive on an “us against the rest” mentality. I’m hopeful our lessons have been learnt, the casual, insipid approach to our Saints final really burns still.

But really until we see that renewed commitment in action, I’ll still have that niggling doubt.

Grantysghost
17-03-2021, 08:07 PM
I honestly don’t think having Martin will stop Grundy in his tracks and become mediocre against us. He loves playing us, and I think his around the ground play will still dominate.

DeGoey is a really good player if he’s fit and his head is in the right place. Round 1, I’m expecting that, and ...I don’t rate our backline..at all, so I’m expecting him to kick 5+ if he’s ready to go.

I was pretty impressed against Gawn. He was getting very frustrated by Martin and his ability to engage and out body him.

bornadog
17-03-2021, 08:46 PM
They may struggle with goals this year but that is our weakest point too!

Don't agree it is our weakest point. We were the 6th highest scorer last year, Collingwood were 13th.

EasternWest
17-03-2021, 08:50 PM
I expect Collingwood to be very good again so I’m 50/50 with this one. Their list is still very good and we haven’t beaten them in a while now.

With you. We're good enough to win, but the Pies remain pretty good.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2021, 07:28 AM
I’m pretty confident, with my only concern being the MC. I’ve got more confidence in the players turning up ready to go than I do Bevo picking our best 22

westbulldog
19-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Our mids and forwards should give Collingwood plenty of trouble but our backline is vulnerable, I hope I am wrong.

Axe Man
19-03-2021, 01:14 PM

I don't think anyone expects us to force Grundy into mediocrity, something less than the completely dominant performances of recent encounters will do.

De Goey is expected to spend much more time in the midfield this year, expect a 50/50 split. He's dangerous when fit but he's no Dusty.

comrade
19-03-2021, 02:17 PM
Given his dominance, if Grundy only plays a 1 Brownlow vote game tonight compared to his usual 3 vote game, I'd take that.

SonofScray
19-03-2021, 02:24 PM
Changed my tune.

Very excited. Full of belief. Blood is pumping. Tribal drums are beating, got my scarf, got my old coat. Lets have at it. Come out snarling!

AshMac
19-03-2021, 06:19 PM
I just want to see us play with intensity and skill. 50/50 for me - after 40 years I still haven’t learnt how to avoid expectation