PDA

View Full Version : Which Player is our Ideal Sub?

bornadog
17-03-2021, 02:13 PM
The new sub rule for injured players is in starting round 1.

Which player do you consider to be the ideal person to be a sub?

Do we have another mid? Do we look at a taller player like Schache?

Do we look at a HBF?

Mofra
17-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Jong?
Crazy brave, team first attitude, tall enough to play multiple positions, not best 22 but rated high internally.

comrade
17-03-2021, 02:27 PM
I hate the idea of a young player sitting on the pine, having his development stunted. I think Duryea is a decent option in that he is mature, plays a role where we have coverage and can move players around easily, i.e. if we lose a mid, Duryea comes in and we move Daniel or Williams further up the ground. We lose a forward, we move Lipinski up, Daniel or Williams moves up and Duryea slots in. If we lose a tall, well, so be it.

bornadog
17-03-2021, 02:31 PM
I hate the idea of a young player sitting on the pine, having his development stunted. I think Duryea is a decent option in that he is mature, plays a role where we have coverage and can move players around easily, i.e. if we lose a mid, Duryea comes in and we move Daniel or Williams further up the ground. We lose a forward, we move Lipinski up, Daniel or Williams moves up and Duryea slots in. If we lose a tall, well, so be it.

Don't forget without the sub rule, there is always an emergency player hanging around anyway - just in case.

I like your thinking though.

Axe Man
17-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Don't forget without the sub rule, there is always an emergency player hanging around anyway - just in case.

I like your thinking though.

Also the sub can still play VFL whether they are activated in the AFL or not. Of course it requires the VFL game to take place after the AFL game.

Bevo's versatility mantra will come to the fore here. I can't see the sub being a tall, medium sized players capable of more than one position seem ideal.

GVGjr
17-03-2021, 02:52 PM
Jong?
Crazy brave, team first attitude, tall enough to play multiple positions, not best 22 but rated high internally.

Great recommendation and he is versatile and quick

Happy Days
17-03-2021, 02:57 PM

From memory we rarely if ever put players in their first game as the sub.

Agree on Duryea as the ideal guy but think we might need him to play in the interim. If its going to be from your emergencies then why not make it a choice from all of them?

bornadog
17-03-2021, 03:02 PM
From memory we rarely if ever put players in their first game as the sub.

Agree on Duryea as the ideal guy but think we might need him to play in the interim. If its going to be from your emergencies then why not make it a choice from all of them?

You have to nominate the 23rd man (I think)

comrade
17-03-2021, 03:03 PM
You have to nominate the 23rd man (I think)

Yep:

60 minutes prior to match commencing – 22 players + 1 medical substitute named

Happy Days
17-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Yeah I meant more why can’t it just be any of the emergencies.

At least it’s not from the selected 22 again. That rule totally ruined Supercoach.

Axe Man
17-03-2021, 04:07 PM
Yeah I meant more why can’t it just be any of the emergencies.

At least it’s not from the selected 22 again. That rule totally ruined Supercoach.

Are you suggesting every team has 4 subs warm up and sit on the bench every week?

Happy Days
17-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Are you suggesting every team has 4 subs warm up and sit on the bench every week?

Sure. You don’t have to have 4 but you can if you want to. Don’t see what the difference is if they aren’t meant to play anyway.

An even better idea would be to pick a crowd member at random. That would probably ensure that no one milks it plus could end up in a fun Like Mike style scenario.

Axe Man
17-03-2021, 04:17 PM
Sure. You don’t have to have 4 but you can if you want to. Don’t see what the difference is if they aren’t meant to play anyway.

Because say the VFL play before the AFL, 3 of the emergencies will still play VFL and you hold 1 back as the sub. Wouldn't be ideal to have 4 players not play every week. I imagine there are cost considerations as well.

SquirrelGrip
17-03-2021, 06:18 PM
The sub will be coming in as other players tire. I’d be choosing someone with pace - Ed Richards and JJ for mine.

boydogs
18-03-2021, 12:49 AM
You can go someone quick to expose the opposition for pace, or someone slow but skillful who can't get space to work their magic when the heat is on. That's why Gia worked

Axe Man
18-03-2021, 10:20 AM
The sub will be coming in as other players tire. I’d be choosing someone with pace - Ed Richards and JJ for mine.

The sub could be coming on in the first five minutes, half way through the third quarter or not at all. It's not exactly a tactical sub like it often used to be.

Bulldog4life
18-03-2021, 05:17 PM
Great recommendation and he is versatile and quick

Yes I like Jongy too. Versatile player. Can play tall. Even ruck. :) Perfect sub for me.