PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 2 vs West Coast Eagles 2021

Scraggers
17-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 1 match against Collingwood for our Round 2, 2021 match against West Coast Eagles at Marvel on Sunday arvo?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
19-03-2021, 10:27 PM
Bump

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-03-2021, 11:58 PM
I'd love to see Rhylee West come in for McNeill.
McNeil has some great attributes and now has had a sniff...but West adds some steel, and is a one touch player and it's his time to show he can contribute.
Having said that I reckon Bevo likes to gives blokes more than one game.

FrediKanoute
20-03-2021, 12:05 AM
From all accounts Wood, Cordy and JJ did well in the reserves and Jamarra, well he has done his cause no harm.

Outs.....always hard to pick a couple after a good win. Wood, Cordy and JJ are backline players, and the backline was pretty good so you would be hard pressed to pick someone who should fall out. Maybe a case of bide their time. Maybe Wood for Scott, but no certainty for me.

Is Wallis in trouble? Do you swap McNeil for Jamarra?

Gut feel is that allowing for injuries there will be no change.

Hotdog60
20-03-2021, 12:11 AM
Gut feel is that allowing for injuries there will be no change.

I think this will be the case also

hujsh
20-03-2021, 12:12 AM
Jon Ralph quoting Chris Grant saying that JJ is out because 'As a defender you need to defend'

Be surprised if he's back this week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2021, 12:18 AM
Jon Ralph quoting Chris Grant saying that JJ is out because 'As a defender you need to defend'

Be surprised if he's back this week.

Big fork in the road moment for JJ. He's been living off 2016 for a long while.
He can either take on board the feedback and become a real asset, or his career will fizzle out.

FrediKanoute
20-03-2021, 12:29 AM
He can either take on board the feedback and become a real asset, or his career will fizzle out.

Said it before, if we felt this way we should have offloaded him in October when he had some currency, not let him rot in the reserves for a season and then give him to someone like Essendon.

jazzadogs
20-03-2021, 01:01 AM
I'd love to see Rhylee West come in for McNeill.
McNeil has some great attributes and now has had a sniff...but West adds some steel, and is a one touch player and it's his time to show he can contribute.
Having said that I reckon Bevo likes to gives blokes more than one game.

This would be my change as well, and for similar reasons. We haven't seen the last of Mcneill, but West/Cavarra can offer more in that role.

I thought Scott was serviceable. I don't think any of Wood, Cordy or JJ are walk up starts anymore.

Wallis was poor but has credits. Everybody else played their role and will be there next week.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2021, 01:11 AM
Said it before, if we felt this way we should have offloaded him in October when he had some currency, not let him rot in the reserves for a season and then give him to someone like Essendon.

I didn't like the way his contract extension played out after 2016. I'm probably wrong, but he made his re-signing hard, and I reckon that was a small part of our downfall post premiership. It just seemed to my eyes to bring a 'me first' mentality that shattered the tight bond that group had.
I know these guys have a short window for remuneration, but it still rankled me that he made us wait, and held us to the flame, when we'd been really patient in his development as a rookie.
JJ at his most committed is an undeniable asset to us, but only if he commits to what we need him to do. He was a fortunate Norm Smith Medallist, and benefited from our 'total team ethos'. We need him to recommit to that if he is going to be a part of our growth.

comrade
20-03-2021, 02:34 AM
OUT: McNeil, Scott
IN: West, Wood

hujsh
20-03-2021, 02:47 AM

Logical but rare that debutants don't play the next week. I don't see Bevo leaving Wood out either which probably means Scott the more likely casualty.

comrade
20-03-2021, 02:52 AM
Logical but rare that debutants don't play the next week. I don't see Bevo leaving Wood out either which probably means Scott the more likely casualty.

McNeil was like a deer in headlights tonight, needs a good block of VFL form behind him. Scott was more influential but I want more aerial ability and experience down back.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Out: McNeil and Bruce
In: Wood and West

I just think we are not ready to play three talls forward. Wood gives leadership and experience, West gives us a hard edge and crumbing forward

Mantis
20-03-2021, 08:45 AM

I just think we are not ready to play three talls forward. Wood gives leadership and experience, West gives us a hard edge and crumbing forward

Bruce took 11 marks and was quite often out bail out kick down the line... I can’t see how you replace him after one of his better games in our colours.

GVGjr
20-03-2021, 09:07 AM

BB, It was probably the 2nd best game Bruce has played for us. No chance he gets dropped

No Change but on notice are O'Neil and Scott with West and JJ right in the mix

There could be a big change given Ugle-Hagan is knocking the door of the hinges

AshMac
20-03-2021, 09:26 AM
BB, It was probably the 2nd best game Bruce has played for us. No chance he gets dropped

Was chatting to a mate yesterday who made the point that there be very little risk in taking out McNeil and putting in jamarra.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2021, 09:48 AM
We need to sort out our forward structure pretty quickly. Jamarra is gonna need space to do what he does best.

Sounds like, from smads report, that he’s still a few weeks away as he went missing a bit and needs to build his tank. That’s pretty scary in itself considering he kicked 5.

DOG GOD
20-03-2021, 10:00 AM
Out- McNeil, Scott
In- Wood, West

McNeil to be Sub

Grantysghost
20-03-2021, 10:43 AM
No change for me but Jamarra after 5 needs to be strongly considered. Hopefully Wallis can improve on last night he or McNeil the obvious change, although I like the difference McNeil brings to the table.
Wally has showed us what he's made of time and time again so I'm backing him to have a better game v the Eagles.

Hotdog60
20-03-2021, 11:04 AM
It's the first game of the season with only one real hit out before the start so I guess its going to be hard on the players with limited match practice under the belt.
We go through unchanged and one would hope the debutantes will be better after the run and with the step up in level adjust accordingly.
Scott and McNeil had to do it the hard way and a team needs role players that can support the more skillful and will give their all to stay in the team.
We've had a good start that needs some polish so I think we have to back them in for at least another game. I believe Scott is also learning a new position so it may take a few games to get up to speed.
If Duryea is fit do we need Wood as the defenders did a good job last night and if Wood is to replace Scott is the output going to be any better and if it is would it be just marginally and are we better showing confidence in Scott.
Wood hasn't been at his best for a couple of years so does his game in the practice match against most likely a weaker forward line warrant dropping Scott.
Another week for Wood and another week for Scott and see how we go.

Smads57
20-03-2021, 12:45 PM
No change for me - certainly wouldn’t bring in JJ after his VFL practice game yesterday. Wood could do with another run in the 2s, but he did get better exponentially yesterday afternoon as the game rolled on and he helped pull the defence together after a poor defensive first qtr by the VFL team.

bornadog
20-03-2021, 12:46 PM

I like this but can also see no change.

EasternWest
20-03-2021, 12:56 PM

No change.

No way Bruce goes out.

Rocket Science
20-03-2021, 02:37 PM
We need to sort out our forward structure pretty quickly. Jamarra is gonna need space to do what he does best.

Sounds like, from smads report, that he’s still a few weeks away as he went missing a bit and needs to build his tank. That’s pretty scary in itself considering he kicked 5.

Bruce was plainly better last night but colour me fascinated to see how this goes if Jamarra's eventually sharing a forward line with him.

Then again Marra's probably savvy enough to simply treat him as another step-ladder.

Before I Die
20-03-2021, 02:50 PM

I can't see West forcing his way in after spending the game on the bench. Not his fault I know, but if his form prior to yesterday wasn't good enough to make the 22, I can't see how he has a stronger case now. McNeil wasn't great, but he wasn't awful and it was his first game.

It sounded like JJ was ok in the practice match, but he clearly has to prove a point to the coaches regarding his defending. One practice game surely can't be enough. Lipinski et al were sent back for a number of weeks before they got the nod back into the 22.

The same with Jamarra. I'm really excited by his 5 goals, but it was a VFL practice match. The coaches don't care who wins, they are trying things out and getting match fitness. They may have changed things up against him if 4 points were on the line. As it was, his 5 goals didn't make the difference in the game. I think he will need 3 or 4 games at least before he becomes under consideration.

I only see a change to the team line-up if the coaches see Easton Wood as a lock. In which case Scott, or possibly McNeil, could find themselves wearing the medical sub vest.

Happy Days
20-03-2021, 04:12 PM
In: JJ, Wood

Out: Scott, McNeil

I know JJ isn’t going to play but he really should be. He must have put in a putrid pre-season (which I’m not disregarding as a possibility) but comments like that from Grant help no one.

Before I Die
20-03-2021, 04:39 PM

I know JJ isn’t going to play but he really should be. He must have put in a putrid pre-season (which I’m not disregarding as a possibility) but comments like that from Grant help no one.

Aren't comments like the one from Grant a positive example of the sort of transparency we have all been yearning for from the club? Someone who has been a key player is not getting a game. We all want to know why. Grant tells us. I think this is very good. JJ has also been obviously told, which is also clearly good.

A concern we all have is goals over the back caused by opposition players in space when the turnovers occur. Lack of defending is the cause. The cure is defenders have to defend or they don't get games. JJ's attacking plays are A class, defending, not so much. The answer is clearly he learns to defend or we find a player who can attack and defend.

Last year we were not good enough to beat the top sides. We have kept the coach, which I support, so the change has to come from a change in players. Either through personnel changes or changes in the way individuals play. Lipinski and Macrae were able to adjust, why not JJ. He will come back in, but I don't think it will be for a few weeks unless injuries occur.

Rocket Science
20-03-2021, 04:46 PM

Our sudden stance on JJ is a mite confusing ...

We're collectively guilty of lax defensive application but we make an example of perhaps our best counter-attacking weapon not named Daniel at the precise moment the game's being adjudicated further in his favour. Not to mention the logic of insisting an attacking run-and-carry type start focusing on the one-percenters, or something.

Not suggesting JJ's immune from being held accountable in the name of better two-way play though I felt he showed more willingness last year to get his hands dirty but where's the value in using your Ferrari to go bush-bashing?

If we can't utilise him in the current go-at-all-costs climate you'd reckon 17 other teams could.

westbulldog
20-03-2021, 05:34 PM
In Wood
Out Scott

jazzadogs
20-03-2021, 05:54 PM

We're collectively guilty of lax defensive application but we make an example of perhaps our best counter-attacking weapon not named Daniel at the precise moment the game's being adjudicated further in his favour. Not to mention the logic of insisting an attacking run-and-carry type start focusing on the one-percenters, or something.

Not suggesting JJ's immune from being held accountable in the name of better two-way play though I felt he showed more willingness last year to get his hands dirty but where's the value in using your Ferrari to go bush-bashing?

If we can't utilise him in the current go-at-all-costs climate you'd reckon 17 other teams could.

Is it really 'sudden'? JJ has been trialled all over the ground in an attempt to find a position where his attacking football does not come at the detriment of the team defence. He was mediocre in most other roles (wing, half-forward) and is clearly not meeting his metrics in defence (holding position in zone, winning 1v1s, coming off his man when needed).

Bevo loves a guy who follows instructions and plays his role - hence Gardner, Scott getting games ahead of more talented players. I am not always a fan of the approach, but I understand it given the importance of our team-defence.

Hotdog60
20-03-2021, 07:07 PM
Were is the meters gain stat from last year on JJ compared to meters gain from 2016.

May be that run hasn't come often enough.

Hotdog60
20-03-2021, 07:12 PM
Found the stat:
2016: ranked 7 493
2017: ranked 39 407
2018: ranked 45 383
2019: ranked 33 425
2020: ranked 110 278

Work rate looks down to me.

Danjul
20-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Found the stat:
2016: ranked 7 493
2017: ranked 39 407
2018: ranked 45 383
2019: ranked 33 425
2020: ranked 110 278

Work rate looks down to me.

shorter quarters? 2020 16 minutes. And better team? 2016 - finished 7th. 2018 finished 14? th

hujsh
20-03-2021, 09:30 PM
shorter quarters? 2020 16 minutes. And better team? 2016 - finished 7th. 2018 finished 14? th

If you adjust for full length quarters it's just shy of 350m last year.

FrediKanoute
20-03-2021, 11:41 PM
I can't see West forcing his way in after spending the game on the bench. Not his fault I know, but if his form prior to yesterday wasn't good enough to make the 22, I can't see how he has a stronger case now. McNeil wasn't great, but he wasn't awful and it was his first game.

9 possessions; 8 clangers; 1 goal - if that was Walllis/Dale/Bruce/Gardiner we would be calling for his head and demanding he never plays for the RWB again.

That said, we won; its his first game. He gets a free pass, but I would suggest that West would provide better output at this stage.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2021, 10:03 AM
9 possessions; 8 clangers; 1 goal - if that was Walllis/Dale/Bruce/Gardiner we would be calling for his head and demanding he never plays for the RWB again.

That said, we won; its his first game. He gets a free pass, but I would suggest that West would provide better output at this stage.

Agree. West was very unlucky to miss and prefer his hardness against WCE.

comrade
21-03-2021, 10:24 AM
Agree. West was very unlucky to miss and prefer his hardness against WCE.

Yep, McNeil obviously worked his butt off over pre-season and got rewarded with selection. Has had a taste now but he’s not quite there. Needs to bang the door down at VFL level and then come back in.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-03-2021, 10:24 PM

Second best game or not. He can’t kick straight and I think we don’t need the extra third tall. I would go with a West as I recon it’s a better balance for us. Yep he took a couple of hood clunks Diwali the line but if Bruce wasn’t in the side Naughton would be that guy

1eyedog
21-03-2021, 11:14 PM
In Wood
Out Scott

Agreed one game in the 2s and straight in.

jeemak
22-03-2021, 07:38 PM
Either seniors or twos West has to play this week, and I reckon it will be with Footscray.

I'm wondering how we're going to line up to ensure McGovern and Barrass have minimal impact. Do we leave out McNeil, bring in Wood and have one of Scott or Dale play a role across half forward?

Jeanette54
22-03-2021, 09:33 PM
Woofers seem to agree we can't have three talls (Bruce, Naughton and English) running around the forward line, but the West Coast Turkeys seem fine with Darling, Kennedy and Allen. Surely we must bring in an additional tall defender to cope with these guys. Could this be Cordy's recall moment, or is there another option we could explore ?

Before I Die
22-03-2021, 10:02 PM
Woofers seem to agree we can't have three talls (Bruce, Naughton and English) running around the forward line, but the West Coast Turkeys seem fine with Darling, Kennedy and Allen. Surely we must bring in an additional tall defender to cope with these guys. Could this be Cordy's recall moment, or is there another option we could explore ?

If you count English for us as a tall Forward then you need to add Vardy in for West Coke.

I think adding Wood will be enough. If necessary we could throw one of our tall forwards back. Hopefully it is West Coke that are forced into this position.

Ozza
22-03-2021, 10:27 PM

Wasn't he third in a B&F?

Ozza
22-03-2021, 10:30 PM
I don't really see us making a change this week. I certainly don't see why Bruce or Scott would be suggested.

McNeil was certainly our weakest performer on Friday, but first game, and playing in what became quite a busy forward line once Collingwood made the game very defensive, I would be fine with him playing again. My only thoughts are whether we feel we need Wood in the side to help with the Eagles aerial strength.

jeemak
22-03-2021, 10:47 PM
Wasn't he third in a B&F?

2017 - 2nd
2018 - 7th
2019 - 4th
2020 - outside top ten

Pretty solid return, though I don't think anyone would say he was the player he could be last year or that he doesn't have things with his game that need to improve.

divvydan
22-03-2021, 10:50 PM
The number of tall forwards isn't the issue, it's all about the ability of the fwd line to apply pressure when the ball hits the ground. If we can do that with 3 tall forwards then that's ideal. If we can only have 2, then so be it.

Ozza
22-03-2021, 10:55 PM
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 7th
2019 - 4th
2020 - outside top ten

Pretty solid return, though I don't think anyone would say he was the player he could be last year or that he doesn't have things with his game that need to improve.

He definitely needs to improve, but as you've illustrated, my issue was with this inference that JJ has been dining out on a norm smith win since 2016.

Even in 2016 - he was a good player, but not seen as one of our absolutely elite by any stretch. He started getting tagged because he went to another level again post '16, and has clearly struggled with the tags that came his way.

I'm sure he gets back in at some stage, but from what I've heard - his hit out on Friday arvo won't do it.

Before I Die
22-03-2021, 11:18 PM
The number of tall forwards isn't the issue, it's all about the ability of the fwd line to apply pressure when the ball hits the ground. If we can do that with 3 tall forwards then that's ideal. If we can only have 2, then so be it.

Vandermeer and McNeil, hopefully, are the two smalls who can make it work for the three talls. They are both quick and hard. Lets hope McNeil can move past the first games nerves and really create some heat in the forward 50.

Grantysghost
22-03-2021, 11:24 PM
He definitely needs to improve, but as you've illustrated, my issue was with this inference that JJ has been dining out on a norm smith win since 2016.

Even in 2016 - he was a good player, but not seen as one of our absolutely elite by any stretch. He started getting tagged because he went to another level again post '16, and has clearly struggled with the tags that came his way.

I'm sure he gets back in at some stage, but from what I've heard - his hit out on Friday arvo won't do it.

2017 he was in front all count and lost by 1 vote to Bontempelli right at the end.

Danjul
22-03-2021, 11:52 PM
Woofers seem to agree we can't have three talls (Bruce, Naughton and English) running around the forward line, but the West Coast Turkeys seem fine with Darling, Kennedy and Allen?

l have never seen Darling and Kennedy try to outmark each other, they are natural forwards. On Friday we all saw Bruce and Naughton try to outmark English in the same pack, and shortly after they both did the same to Martin. Part of the reason why many of the forward entries don’t generate scoring.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 10:13 AM
l have never seen Darling and Kennedy try to outmark each other, they are natural forwards. On Friday we all saw Bruce and Naughton try to outmark English in the same pack, and shortly after they both did the same to Martin. Part of the reason why many of the forward entries don’t generate scoring.

Bruce 11 marks
Naughton 7
English 8

They had a pretty good night

GVGjr
23-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Bruce 11 marks
Naughton 7
English 8

Exactly. Not sure if it will be an effective set-up right through the season but they did well.

Danjul
23-03-2021, 10:34 AM
Bruce 11 marks
Naughton 7
English 8

I was pleased with Bruce’s game, a massive improvement on 2020. But the majority of his marks were well away from the goals, out where there was space. He was in the game as a full forward but excelled as a ‘linking tall’. 1 scoring shot. Could be the answer to our key defender needs.

Axe Man
23-03-2021, 10:42 AM
I was pleased with Bruce’s game, a massive improvement on 2020. But the majority of his marks were well away from the goals, out where there was space. He was in the game as a full forward but excelled as a ‘linking tall’. 1 scoring shot. Could be the answer to our key defender needs.

He had at least 4 shots on goal, 2 out on the full and 1 didn't make the distance that I recall. It was the only disappointing part of his game. He got enough ball close to goal, he just didn't execute well.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 11:03 AM
He had at least 4 shots on goal, 2 out on the full and 1 didn't make the distance that I recall. It was the only disappointing part of his game. He got enough ball close to goal, he just didn't execute well.

He kicked a beautiful ball to English near goals.

I think he played more of a CHF than a FF.

Axe Man
23-03-2021, 11:50 AM
We already knew Jamarra wouldn't be making a debut yet but also sounds like Wood won't be getting a game either. No change the favourite at this stage.

No debut for No.1 gun, VFL rules a 'spanner in the works', says Bevo (https://www.afl.com.au/news/568640/no-debut-for-no-1-gun-vfl-rules-a-spanner-in-the-works-says-bevo)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will resist blooding top pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan despite his five-goal haul in last week's VFL practice game, with the key forward set to be given more time to build his fitness.

And 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood also looks set to miss selection for the Bulldogs' clash with West Coast on Sunday despite returning from his hamstring strain last week.

Ugle-Hagan, the Dogs' prized selection from last year's NAB AFL Draft, was a standout in their lead-up game last week against Collingwood's VFL but coach Luke Beveridge said there were still aspects of the 18-year-old's game that would need to improve as he pushes for a much-anticipated debut.

"He kicked five, which is fantastic and to see some of his specific gifts and traits come out that allowed him to rise to the top of that draft order was really exciting for all of us to see," Beveridge said on Tuesday.

"He's still got a fair way to go, 'Marra', and we've got to make sure that he's ready and to be productive in winning games of footy for us. It was a step in the right direction but he definitely won't be in the team this week."

Beveridge said the rule change in the VFL this season also meant it was harder for young key-position players to build their match conditioning which could delay Ugle-Hagan's first appearance at senior level for the club.

The VFL this season is trialling zones for stoppages, with a minimum of three players from each team needing to be stationed inside 50 – including a pair in the goalsquare – at all kick-ins, boundary throw-ins and ball-ups.

In Friday's practice game, there were several times where the resumption of play was stopped as umpires reorganised players to ensure they were correctly zoned.

Beveridge said it was a "spanner in the works" when deciding on team selection with a variation of rules for his players across both squads.

"Even in this game Jamarra didn't run anywhere near like he's going to be required to run in an AFL game so it's actually going to hold a player like Jamarra back because we can't get that match conditioning that he needs at AFL level," he said.

The Eagles' trio of tall forwards – Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling – present as a big challenge for the Bulldogs as they aim to start their campaign 2-0.

Beveridge said the Dogs' defensive effort in restricting the Magpies to seven goals in round one made it difficult to push Wood back into the line-up after his return from a pre-season hamstring tear.

"He's missed a bit of footy and sometimes it's hard to change a winning side, and the back end were particularly good. One of our objectives this year is to be better defensively. We still want to score as much as anyone like any team but to keep Collingwood to the lowest score of the round was a big win for us and the back seven were a critical part of that," he said.

"It will be difficult to change that and Easton's aware of that. He got through the game which was really important after he'd had a couple of hiccups so we'll see but he might spend another week or two playing state league and getting cherry ripe for his return."

jeemak
23-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Play Marra in the midfield for bursts to get his running numbers up if that's what's required. Stick him on a wing and tell him to blow-up.

comrade
23-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Play Marra in the midfield for bursts to get his running numbers up if that's what's required. Stick him on a wing and tell him to blow-up.

The AFL needs to stop ****ing around with the game so much.

Happy Days
23-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Not picking Wood is very curious. Not changing a winning team because they won without more is a good way to make it a losing team too.

jeemak
23-03-2021, 12:20 PM
The AFL needs to stop ****ing around with the game so much.

Absolutely they do, though they bloody won't which means in order to get conditioning into players we have to play them out of position because that makes perfect sense for a reserves competition.......

westbulldog
23-03-2021, 12:31 PM
Re : The Eagles' trio of tall forwards – Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling – present as a big challenge for the Bulldogs as they aim to start their campaign 2-0. You can add Liam Ryan to that as well which having seen the Eagles last week leads me to suggest that Naughton should/must play back.

Mofra
23-03-2021, 12:33 PM
Not picking Wood is very curious. Not changing a winning team because they won without more is a good way to make it a losing team too.
I'd be very surprised if Rhylee West doesn't play this week.
Perhaps one change - McNeill out, West in.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 12:34 PM

We need to pick a team based on the opposition matchups.

dog town
23-03-2021, 12:45 PM
I think Bevo has signalled his intention to play Williams on the highest tall to gain an advantage in mobility. Williams has played on Tom McDonald and Cox without issue so far.

My concern is Liam Ryan without Wood, we looked vulnerable when De Goey got inside 50 and those types have been very difficult for us to match up on. I thought Wood was our best performed on those types last year.

ratsmac
23-03-2021, 01:07 PM
I think Bevo has signalled his intention to play Williams on the highest tall to gain an advantage in mobility. Williams has played on Tom McDonald and Cox without issue so far.

My concern is Liam Ryan without Wood, we looked vulnerable when De Goey got inside 50 and those types have been very difficult for us to match up on. I thought Wood was our best performed on those types last year.

Great point re Wood. I was pondering whether Scott could keep Wood out of the team seeing that he picked up 16 disposals on debut. Wood would (Wood wood :) )be lucky to get that many touches in the last 2 years. But it's that defensive speed that he brings against the quick small forwards where he comes into his own.

In- Wood

Out- McNeil

Scott to be sub, West plays.

comrade
23-03-2021, 01:29 PM
We already knew Jamarra wouldn't be making a debut yet but also sounds like Wood won't be getting a game either. No change the favourite at this stage.

No debut for No.1 gun, VFL rules a 'spanner in the works', says Bevo (https://www.afl.com.au/news/568640/no-debut-for-no-1-gun-vfl-rules-a-spanner-in-the-works-says-bevo)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will resist blooding top pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan despite his five-goal haul in last week's VFL practice game, with the key forward set to be given more time to build his fitness.

And 2016 premiership skipper Easton Wood also looks set to miss selection for the Bulldogs' clash with West Coast on Sunday despite returning from his hamstring strain last week.

Ugle-Hagan, the Dogs' prized selection from last year's NAB AFL Draft, was a standout in their lead-up game last week against Collingwood's VFL but coach Luke Beveridge said there were still aspects of the 18-year-old's game that would need to improve as he pushes for a much-anticipated debut.

"He kicked five, which is fantastic and to see some of his specific gifts and traits come out that allowed him to rise to the top of that draft order was really exciting for all of us to see," Beveridge said on Tuesday.

"He's still got a fair way to go, 'Marra', and we've got to make sure that he's ready and to be productive in winning games of footy for us. It was a step in the right direction but he definitely won't be in the team this week."

Beveridge said the rule change in the VFL this season also meant it was harder for young key-position players to build their match conditioning which could delay Ugle-Hagan's first appearance at senior level for the club.

The VFL this season is trialling zones for stoppages, with a minimum of three players from each team needing to be stationed inside 50 – including a pair in the goalsquare – at all kick-ins, boundary throw-ins and ball-ups.

In Friday's practice game, there were several times where the resumption of play was stopped as umpires reorganised players to ensure they were correctly zoned.

Beveridge said it was a "spanner in the works" when deciding on team selection with a variation of rules for his players across both squads.

"Even in this game Jamarra didn't run anywhere near like he's going to be required to run in an AFL game so it's actually going to hold a player like Jamarra back because we can't get that match conditioning that he needs at AFL level," he said.

The Eagles' trio of tall forwards – Oscar Allen, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling – present as a big challenge for the Bulldogs as they aim to start their campaign 2-0.

Beveridge said the Dogs' defensive effort in restricting the Magpies to seven goals in round one made it difficult to push Wood back into the line-up after his return from a pre-season hamstring tear.

"He's missed a bit of footy and sometimes it's hard to change a winning side, and the back end were particularly good. One of our objectives this year is to be better defensively. We still want to score as much as anyone like any team but to keep Collingwood to the lowest score of the round was a big win for us and the back seven were a critical part of that," he said.

"It will be difficult to change that and Easton's aware of that. He got through the game which was really important after he'd had a couple of hiccups so we'll see but he might spend another week or two playing state league and getting cherry ripe for his return."

Anyone else reckon Bevo has gotten progressively more grumpy? Obviously we only get his public persona on show, but you don't see much banter or the witticism of his earlier years at the club.

I reckon the 2020 season clearly took its toll, and the constant tinkering with the game by AFL HQ is just making him more prickly.

GVGjr
23-03-2021, 02:00 PM
Anyone else reckon Bevo has gotten progressively more grumpy? Obviously we only get his public persona on show, but you don't see much banter or the witticism of his earlier years at the club.

I reckon the 2020 season clearly took its toll, and the constant tinkering with the game by AFL HQ is just making him more prickly.

Nah, I think he is just focused on getting wins. I think he has the balance about right

Doc26
23-03-2021, 02:26 PM

I wouldn't discount a key change in coaching / match committee personnel being a factor. For one, taking out our senior assistant coach in Gia is likely to have a factor in the conversation being had at the table.

Mantis
23-03-2021, 02:35 PM

Given we played Gardner on Elliot for much of the night do we look at Ryan v Ryan?

dog town
23-03-2021, 02:49 PM
Given we played Gardner on Elliot for much of the night do we look at Ryan v Ryan? We seem a bit bloody minded with the way we employ this. It seems like we are happy to let match ups be dictated by how deep/high the opposition deploy their players, if we are not on and let the ball through we get exploited.

Gardner looked like he ended up on De Goey a few times too. He looked really comfortable under high balls (a tall back that punches it forward...hallelujah) but I get nervous when he is trying to locate a small/medium on the last line. Butler got him a few times in the final too. It’s probably a fair chance but that leaves Keath, Williams and genuine smalls for the 3 talls. Be very interesting to see what we do, I get the feeling the small backline move is a trade off for playing the extra tall forward in some ways.

Danjul
23-03-2021, 02:54 PM
To be honest, when he kicks out on the full the opposition gets the ball and it goes out of our 50 metre zone. That’s a bonus for the opposition.

And 1 scoring shot per game was his average from 16 games last year (8 goals and 8 behinds). I know, reality can be harsh.That’s why it is overlooked.

It prompts the question: where should he play?

jeemak
23-03-2021, 02:59 PM
To be honest, when he kicks out on the full the opposition gets the ball and it goes out of our 50 metre zone. That’s a bonus for the opposition.

And 1 scoring shot per game was his average from 16 games last year (8 goals and 8 behinds). I know, reality can be harsh.That’s why it is overlooked.

It prompts the question: where should he play?

If he kicks a point the opposition is able to exit the 50m zone much easier than if he kicks out on the full.

First game of the year, he's taken 11 marks playing deep forward, high forward and as the link out of defence. Let's see if he can back that up with another strong performance and hopefully more goals rather than stick him in a defence that only conceded seven goals.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 03:09 PM

I don't blame him.

Since the premiership -

* third man up - gone - club felt it was aimed at us
* limited use of runners
* Man on the mark
* ruck changes re prior opp
* 75 limit on rotations
* kick out man on mark 15metres from square
* injury Sub

and the VFL ones where the AFL has totally lost the plot:

Three players to be stationed inside 50 metres at each stoppage

Utter madness and not necessary

Doc26
23-03-2021, 04:24 PM
I don't blame him.

Since the premiership -

* limited use of runners
* Man on the mark
* 75 limit on rotations
* injury Sub

and a tiny thing called COVID

Before I Die
23-03-2021, 05:04 PM
I don't blame him.

Since the premiership -

* limited use of runners
* Man on the mark
* 75 limit on rotations
* injury Sub

The Ruck - prior opportunity rule was aimed at us also. Darcy had dominated the ruck by taking possession rather than tapping the ball. If they had brought that in 50 years earlier, no one would have ever heard of the name Polly Farmer.

Vred
23-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Nah, I think he is just focused on getting wins. I think he has the balance about right

If he was focus'd on getting wins then I want to see McNeil and Scott OUT this week and more experienced players (Wood, West) bought in, Cavarra to play sub

whythelongface
23-03-2021, 10:09 PM
If he was focus'd on getting wins then I want to see McNeil and Scott OUT this week and more experienced players (Wood, West) bought in, Cavarra to play sub

Agree that McNeill and Scott should be dropped. Thought they both did some good things but would like to see Wood back in defense for this game particularly as the WC have JK, Darling and Allen. West or Cavarra are in the mix to take McNeill’s spot. But if the MC stay with McNeill I am ok with that as well.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2021, 10:20 PM
I can't see Scott getting dropped, NcNeil probably should but Bevo just about always gives new players a couple of games free ride.

It will probably be no change but if there is it would be Wood for McNeil, we may need the experience down back against 3 forwards that will give us a headache.

bornadog
23-03-2021, 11:49 PM
I can't see Scott getting dropped, NcNeil probably should but Bevo just about always gives new players a couple of games free ride.

It will probably be no change but if there is it would be Wood for McNeil, we may need the experience down back against 3 forwards that will give us a headache.

Bevo has ruled Wood out for this week and maybe next.

dog town
24-03-2021, 06:58 AM
McNeil is likely getting games because he is the first person to get a front and square crumb inside 50 since Dahlhaus left. It’s something we really need so they may see it as worth some pain to fast track him. Even on Friday night he got a couple of them but butchered the opportunity with a lack of composure.

azabob
24-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Prefer McNeil over Cavarra by a long way.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 09:55 PM
Prefer McNeil over Cavarra by a long way.

Agree. Not sure where the Cav love comes from he's really shown nothing at the level.
Watch McNeil's highlights in the Sanfl he's a very exciting prospect.

EasternWest
24-03-2021, 10:08 PM
Agree. Not sure where the Cav love comes from he's really shown nothing at the level.
Watch McNeil's highlights in the Sanfl he's a very exciting prospect.

You would say that.

Grantysghost
24-03-2021, 11:04 PM
You would say that.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QuTOdlwvMl5lHKbpRC/giphy.gif

jeemak
25-03-2021, 12:10 AM
You would say that.

GG is definitely all in. It can't be hidden.

Grantysghost
25-03-2021, 04:04 AM

:cool: I've gone too hard too early not sure I've got the stamina to keep this up!

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 09:17 AM

It can be hard to tell.

Sometimes an avatar is the opposite of how you feel.

AshMac
25-03-2021, 09:27 AM
McNeil is likely getting games because he is the first person to get a front and square crumb inside 50 since Dahlhaus left. It’s something we really need so they may see it as worth some pain to fast track him. Even on Friday night he got a couple of them but butchered the opportunity with a lack of composure.

Spot on. Even though he butchered them it was great to see a bloke hit the ball at pace when it came to ground and run toward our goal. Composure comes with experience - can’t learn how to be fast - think he has a decent looking base to work with.

Happy Days
25-03-2021, 09:33 AM

GG all in? Its been done.

Grantysghost
25-03-2021, 09:42 AM
GG all in? Its been done.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ddV48ytBV135xcwbwq/giphy.gif

soupman
25-03-2021, 10:03 AM

I agree, however both his pre-season performances (yes in the VFL I know) were very good. He is the closest to he type we are missing, and I am annoyed that we haven't even given him a chance to fight for a spot in the 22 while simultaneously wasting a practice game on Bedendo.

I was pretty annoyed we gave him a contract for this year, not because i don't rate him (I don't though tbh) but more because why keep a guy we seem uninterested at best in even giving a game?

Axe Man
25-03-2021, 10:22 AM
It can be hard to tell.

No this is completely untrue, ones avatar always reveals ones true feelings, no matter how much one tries to deny it.

josie
25-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Geez I reckon we are harsh sometimes. Let’s judge Cav once he actually is gives a few games to settle in to seniors. I think he could be good for us and showed some determination in his last AFL game (a few ferocious tackles in forward line which we are bad at).

I think MC have got it wrong not giving him & then Weightman a go. West possible too but think he is more of a mid/forward. I like what I’ve seen of Ben C in vfl - just needs bit of luck with his body and with MC to at least know whether he stays in list next year.

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 10:56 AM
No this is completely untrue, ones avatar always reveals ones true feelings, no matter how much one tries to deny it.

I'd ask you to sticky this comment, only I know you don't know how.

jeemak
25-03-2021, 10:56 AM
It can be hard to tell.

I don't know of any examples.

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 10:57 AM

Axeman is not actually a dog.

Grantysghost
25-03-2021, 11:02 AM
I agree, however both his pre-season performances (yes in the VFL I know) were very good. He is the closest to he type we are missing, and I am annoyed that we haven't even given him a chance to fight for a spot in the 22 while simultaneously wasting a practice game on Bedendo.

I was pretty annoyed we gave him a contract for this year, not because i don't rate him (I don't though tbh) but more because why keep a guy we seem uninterested at best in even giving a game?

I think that's a really good assessment.

Nothing against the guy he seems like a hard worker, and I'd like for him to make it. I just haven't seen anything personally that makes me think he can bridge the gap to AFL at his age as a small forward.

Happy Days
25-03-2021, 11:02 AM

Jason Akermanis is not actually an LGBTQI ally.

Grantysghost
25-03-2021, 11:04 AM
Geez I reckon we are harsh sometimes. Let’s judge Cav once he actually is gives a few games to settle in to seniors. I think he could be good for us and showed some determination in his last AFL game (a few ferocious tackles in forward line which we are bad at).

I think MC have got it wrong not giving him & then Weightman a go. West possible too but think he is more of a mid/forward. I like what I’ve seen of Ben C in vfl - just needs by of luck with his body and with MC to at least know eyehole he stays in list next year.

Agree - be nice for him to knock the door down and push into the side so he can get a proper run at it.

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 11:46 AM
It can be hard to tell.

But then again, sometimes it's not.

jeemak
25-03-2021, 11:49 AM
I don't remember Suckers taking a hanger.

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 11:53 AM
I don't remember Suckers taking a hanger.

Have to be near a contest for that to happen.

bornadog
25-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Have to be near a contest for that to happen.

but what a kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3SYZAillw&ab_channel=AFL

EasternWest
25-03-2021, 01:48 PM
but what a kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3SYZAillw&ab_channel=AFL

I agree. One in every ten was remarkable.

Now talk about the other 9.

bornadog
25-03-2021, 10:30 PM
When are the teams announced these days?

Bumper Bulldogs
25-03-2021, 10:36 PM
I agree. One in every ten was remarkable.

Now talk about the other 9.

I fully agree with that. I always shock my head when he was hanging around the F50 waiting fir a handball and a shot on goal

GVGjr
25-03-2021, 11:01 PM

24 hours before the games aren't they?

bornadog
25-03-2021, 11:51 PM
24 hours before the games aren't they?

They use to announce them on Thursday and finalise by Friday 5pm, but I guess it is all changed.

GVGjr
26-03-2021, 08:16 AM
They use to announce them on Thursday and finalise by Friday 5pm, but I guess it is all changed.

I think there was an announcement a few days before round one so certainly a change
Supercoachers are up in arms :)

Axe Man
26-03-2021, 10:16 AM

The same as last season, the day before the game (in the late arvo/evening).

SonofScray
26-03-2021, 10:22 AM
I think there was an announcement a few days before round one so certainly a change
Supercoachers are up in arms :)

If it has upset the fantasy sports world, I'm all for it. Bad for sports. Good for business.

SquirrelGrip
26-03-2021, 02:43 PM
This year's changes as per HQ (https://www.afl.com.au/news/563050/introducing-season-2021-check-out-what-s-different-about-the-new-afl-year)

"Team announcements will continue the day before each game at 6.20pm AEDT"

bornadog
27-03-2021, 09:01 PM
Team unchanged and medical sub most likely JJ