PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs North Melbourne 2021

Scraggers
17-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 2 match against West Coast Eagles for our Round 3, 2021 match against North Melbourne at Marvel on Friday arvo?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 03:37 PM
Bump

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Out - scott, McNeil (they have both had a taste)
In- cavarra, JJ

Testekill
28-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Out: Scott, McNeil, Hunter
In: Wood/Khamis, Cavarra, JJ

McNeil was much improved in the second half but he's still not ready for AFL level yet

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Out Scott and McNeil
In Wood and Cavarra or West

westbulldog
28-03-2021, 07:33 PM
Out Scott Wallis
In Wood West

bornadog
28-03-2021, 07:33 PM
No change

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:36 PM
We really need to be switched on in this game. Brilliant win today followed up with a game against the potential wooden spooners with a short turnaround could have us a bit lackluster.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 07:36 PM
The AFLs scheduling mystifies me. Why have us play Friday, Sunday, Friday?

GVGjr
28-03-2021, 07:43 PM
In Wood, Out Scott.

It will be a good game to reintroduce Wood to the side

The Doctor
28-03-2021, 07:53 PM
In Wood, Out Scott.

It will be a good game to reintroduce Wood to the side

yep.

hujsh
28-03-2021, 08:13 PM
The AFLs scheduling mystifies me. Why have us play Friday, Sunday, Friday?

It's quite silly

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Out Wallis in West.

Vred
28-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Out:
McNeal
Scott
Wallis
Martin (Rest)

In:
Cavarra
Wood/Buku
Sweet
West

josie
28-03-2021, 09:11 PM
I know this will not happen but what I’d like to see is:
Out - McNeill, Scott, Wally, Gardner
In- Cavarra, West or Khamis, Wood, Young

Just watched replay. I was harsh on McNeill who did some good things. Also a bit harsh in Gardner, although I’d love to see Young get another go. So changing this to:
Out - Scott, Wally
In - Cavarra, Wood

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Out - Scott and Wallis
In - Wood and Cavarra

I don't think we'll drop Wallis but he's been awful in 3 games now.

Dry Rot
29-03-2021, 01:31 AM
Out:

Martin (Rest)

In:

Sweet

Love this. Unleash Big Sweet.

Topdog
29-03-2021, 08:11 AM
McNeil had 14 pressure acts, that just doesn't happen in our forward line very much do I'd be very reluctant to drop him. Vandermeer who we all rightly love had 13.

My only change would be JJ in for the Dazzler. JJ could take our kick ins.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 09:09 AM
Yeah McNeil had two unbelievable pieces of play that both should have resulted in two goals from situations we had no right to score from. If we didn’t drop him last week we won’t drop him this week.

Scott for Wood is a no brainer, and I’d like to get JJ in too but don’t think there’s anyone that can make way.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 09:11 AM
I’m also all the way down to drop Wallis for Cavarra or West or literally anyone but we won’t so I’m not gonna harsh my buzz by wasting energy over it

Danjul
29-03-2021, 09:59 AM
I’m also all the way down to drop Wallis for Cavarra or West or literally anyone but we won’t so I’m not gonna harsh my buzz by wasting energy over it
Poor old Wallis. 15 possessions and 7 marks and we want to drop him.

Last year Bruce had 5 games with 6 possessions (he had worse) and wasn’t dropped. The way he moves this year suggests that he was carrying an injury and should have been out for a significant rest.

Wallis could probably contribute more goals if we gave him the ball in better positions. But his game wasn’t bad.

comrade
29-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Last year Bruce had 5 games with 6 possessions (he had worse) and wasn’t dropped. The way he moves this year suggests that he was carrying an injury and should have been out for a significant rest.

Wallis could probably contribute more goals if we gave him the ball in better positions. But his game wasn’t bad.

To be fair, most called for Bruce to be dropped throughout 2020.

Wallis was rated the least effective player on the ground for a reason. He deserves more time but if he continues this form line, his spot in the team should be at risk.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 10:04 AM

Did you watch the game?

Also Bruce is a total strawman argument and has nothing to do with what I said.

hujsh
29-03-2021, 10:10 AM

Wallis had what should be two very simple shots for a full time forward and should have had a third but midjudged the flight of an excellent kick to his advantage.

Wallis needs to be efficient with his opportunities to have a spot in the side because he's not a manic pressure machine and he won't get many opportunities naturally with Bruce and Naughton as the key targets ahead of him.

Danjul
29-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Did you watch the game?

Also Bruce is a total strawman argument and has nothing to do with what I said.I was there.Wallis did most of his work under pressure getting the ball. I thought he played better than Lipinski who contributed -1 goal.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 10:17 AM
I'm worried about Wally. I've been one of his biggest advocates and defenders, and was really happy for him last year. But am worried about how he is going.

Not really sure about changes yet - but would be happy to see 1-2 changes to keep the team on edge. Possibly Wood or JJ for Scotty.

The intercept handball McNeil got which set up the Vandermeer goal might be huge for his confidence.

azabob
29-03-2021, 10:23 AM
For mine Johannisen isn't battling with Scott for a place in our team.

Johannisen is battling with Bailey Williams, Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel.

Wood, Duryea and Scott are battling for the same spots.

comrade
29-03-2021, 10:28 AM

Yeah, the way I see it, we have 4 spots currently up for grabs:

Small/mid forward - Wallis and McNeil are the incumbents but West and Cavarra are pushing
Small/mid defender - Scott is hanging on by his finger nails but Wood is coming
Key defender - Gardner has this on lock, Young and Cordy are a fair way back
Running half back - Bailey Dale is keeping JJ at bay for now

I expect one of West/Cavarra/Wood to come in this week.

The Underdog
29-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Yeah, the problem is Dale has taken his spot and has been way more reliable defensively and by foot. Expect Wood will come in for Scott. Scott hasn’t done much wrong but it’s a no brainer. Not sure who else is likely to make way. As mentioned Wallis has been poor but is unlikely to be dropped. We may rest 1 or 2 on the short turnaround, but can’t see where JJ fits currently.

Grantysghost
29-03-2021, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure those stats you've picked are great indicators of Wallis' performance yesterday.
I, as we all do have great respect for his work but he needs to take those chances around goal.
As mentioned he probably had 3 chances a forward should goal from :
-The two shots from good marks and position
-The dropped mark close to goal in the third (mcneil kick?)

The Bruce argument to me isn't entirely logical. If you're arguing Bruce should have been dropped for bad performances, but then advocating for a player to remain in the side who was rated by champion data (stats) as being worse than non contributors then I'm not sure that stacks up.
If you're arguing they made a mistake last year by not dropping Bruce, which I think has legs on reflection then surely we don't want to make the same mistakes again and need to reward performance.
JJ seems to have shown there's a paradigm shift in this regard, and maybe we have reviewed and changed after valid criticism last season.
(I don't get how he can be worse than JJ personally but it's the official stats the clubs use).

Re Wally :
Good part is he made good position for all of those chances.
Bad part for him is these chances are so limited he simply must take them with the pressure coming from Cav and others good VFL performance.
I think he will stay in the side but he's definitely fringe 22 at the moment.

azabob
29-03-2021, 11:01 AM
IN: Wood
OUT: Scott

I am liking what McNeil is showing and he has a point of difference to West and Cavarra.

Topdog
29-03-2021, 02:46 PM
I love Wally but he was terrible yesterday

AshMac
29-03-2021, 02:50 PM
Out Scott, in Wood.

Thought McNeil did enough to justify another run. If Wally wasn’t VC I’d say he would be on the block

bornadog
29-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Out Scott, in Wood.

Thought McNeil did enough to justify another run. If Wally wasn’t VC I’d say he would be on the block

Wasn't his best game, and even though Wally didn't kick goals, he was in a spot to give himself the opportunity to kick them. One right on 50 - really was too far, and the other two he should have done better. However, he did create a couple of goals, eg in 2nd quarter. He had 15 disposals, half contested, so I wouldn't drop him at this stage.

Danjul
29-03-2021, 05:03 PM
-The dropped mark close to goal in the third (mcneil kick?)

then advocating for a player to remain in the side who was rated by champion data (stats) as being worse than non contributors

Re Wally :
Good part is he made good position for all of those chances.
Bad part for him is these chances are so limited he simply must take them with the pressure coming from Cav and others good VFL performance.
I think he will stay in the side but he's definitely fringe 22 at the moment.

I don’t understand the reference to a player being worse than someone who didn’t play. Can you explain what you mean.

on the AFL stats website Naughton had 8 marks, followed by Wallis with 7. He was definitely in the game. Some forwards can regularly kick goals from outside the boundary, but not many. I thought a few players missed easier shots, at least from better angles, in the first half. Fortunately the goal kicking improved in the last quarter. Maybe he can get a few next week now that the others have shown him how.

With reference to the dropped mark, at the ground it didn’t look that easy. It was dropping in a way which meant Wallis was looking up into the lights in a contested play. Possible but not probable.

comrade
29-03-2021, 05:15 PM
With reference to the dropped mark, at the ground it didn’t look that easy. It was dropping in a way which meant Wallis was looking up into the lights in a contested play. Possible but not probable.

If Bruce dropped that mark, you (and I) would have rightly hung, drawn and quartered him.

Mantis
29-03-2021, 05:39 PM
Wasn't his best game, and even though Wally didn't kick goals, he was in a spot to give himself the opportunity to kick them. One right on 50 - really was too far, and the other two he should have done better. However, he did create a couple of goals, eg in 2nd quarter. He had 15 disposals, half contested, so I wouldn't drop him at this stage.

If you're referencing the one in the last qtr I'm thinking that kick was more like 40m than 50m... and he kicked it about 35m.

He's a very good set shot from inside 35m (especially early in games before fatigue sets in), but outside that range he's iffy... Wally is a limited player and he needs to take his chances more so than others, and that hasn't happened so far this year.

Grantysghost
29-03-2021, 05:49 PM
I don’t understand the reference to a player being worse than someone who didn’t play. Can you explain what you mean.

on the AFL stats website Naughton had 8 marks, followed by Wallis with 7. He was definitely in the game. Some forwards can regularly kick goals from outside the boundary, but not many. I thought a few players missed easier shots, at least from better angles, in the first half. Fortunately the goal kicking improved in the last quarter. Maybe he can get a few next week now that the others have shown him how.

Think you're being kind re the mark :cool: I reckon he needs to grab those.
With the player ratings they take into account all of the player involvements and use an algorithm (which weighs many factors) to give that a score.

Wally did enough negative things to mean his combined score (positives + negatives) gave him an overall negative rating.

It's impossible to find their magic formula but it is the industry standard from what I understand.

This is the best info I could find although it's old (afl need to update their data).

Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/453167/player-ratings-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=A%20player's%20rating%20is%20determined,of %20the%202011%20season%20onwards.)

Here are the ranking points for yesterday. Seems his second half was costly according to their system.

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/status/1376071055333228546?s=19

It's certainly not what I'm using in my analysis of why he's out of form but it's note worthy none the less.
Also bemusing how according the them he's made us worse! Maybe fantasy footy is their only use!

I'm a big Mitch fan as a person, however on the field this year he's just looking devoid of confidence in big moments and not having the same impact as last year (so far).

To be honest I think I mention it mainly because I want him to do well.

Watch him kick 5 against Norf!

comrade
29-03-2021, 05:54 PM
Mitch is pretty much a stay at home forward nowadays and hasn't kicked a goal in any game this year, including the 2 pre-season outings. That's a red flag. Needs a good hitout against North and needs to hit the scoreboard.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 06:36 PM
If you're referencing the one in the last qtr I'm thinking that kick was more like 40m than 50m... and he kicked it about 35m.

He's a very good set shot from inside 35m (especially early in games before fatigue sets in), but outside that range he's iffy... Wally is a limited player and he needs to take his chances more so than others, and that hasn't happened so far this year.

He should have kicked that one.

There was one up the other end where he was 50 out and had no chance. Should have also nailed the one on the goal line. That was a poor effort. You could just walk up and bang it on your left boot - my mother could have kicked that and she is 92 :D

Hotdog60
29-03-2021, 08:06 PM
I might be warming to the idea of Sweet coming and give Martin a rest this week after a short break.
I haven't seen much of North so far so how is Goldstein been tracking?
Could this be a game that we can give Sweet a go to see if he can take Martin's mantle in the future?
I would like to get so games into Sweet and also preserve Martin for more crucial games.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 08:36 PM
I might be warming to the idea of Sweet coming and give Martin a rest this week after a short break.
Could this be a game that we can give Sweet a go to see if he can take Martin's mantle in the future?
I would like to get so games into Sweet and also preserve Martin for more crucial games.

we are only two games in, I don’t think Martin needs a rest yet

Danjul
29-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Grantysghost

Thanks for the link. It filled in half an hour trying to match the details with the stats in the Age, the only one I could find with quarter by quarter details.

in quarters 2 and 3 Bruce had a total of 1 disposal. (I think he received a handball and snapped a good goal) In that time he generated 3 points.

same two quarters Duryea had 10 disposals and generated 3 points.

Wallis had 9 disposals and generated -2 points.

Just 3 examples. Makes no sense to me.

Grantysghost
29-03-2021, 08:41 PM
Grantysghost

Thanks for the link. It filled in half an hour trying to match the details with the stats in the Age, the only one I could find with quarter by quarter details.

in quarters 2 and 3 Bruce had a total of 1 disposal. (I think he received a handball and snapped a good goal) In that time he generated 3 points.

same two quarters Duryea had 10 disposals and generated 3 points.

Wallis had 9 disposals and generated -2 points.

Just 3 examples. Makes no sense to me.

It's some sort of magic formula they keep hidden from the rest of us :cool:

The bulldog tragician
29-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Firstly I love Mitch, the ultimate team man and son of the west. I believe and hope he’ll turn this around.

BUT:

Stats don’t always align with what we see and don’t always reflect common sense. I thought Mitch struggled badly. We were very near the dropped mark, it was regulation. There aren’t really stats for being too slow in the chase, for not getting to dangerous contests, for somehow oozing lack of confidence, yet these were all painfully evident, whatever the stats say.

He’s too proud a guy not to fight back, but it was glaringly obvious that Mitch is out of touch, big time.

FrediKanoute
29-03-2021, 09:26 PM
I love Wally but he was terrible yesterday

Disagree. His kicking for goal was terrible (though he had company on that score), but his forward line pressure and strength at the contest was first rate. Our forward line is a crowded mess and there is no room for a player like him to lead etc.

Whilst Cavarra's 4 goals will put some pressure on, I don't think dropping Wallis is the answer as I am not convinced yet that Cavarra can affect the contest the same way that Wallis can. Without wanting to discredit Cavarra's efforts in the magoos, it was against a weak Essendon lineup.

jeemak
29-03-2021, 09:53 PM

This is the type of game in which we cannot give any sort of advantage to a bruised opponent hungry for a first win of the year in a big game.

We play our best side, we get to three wins.

EasternWest
29-03-2021, 09:55 PM
This is the type of game in which we cannot give any sort of advantage to a bruised opponent hungry for a first win of the year in a big game.

I just can't see any way North beats us.

Which means, of course, they do.

comrade
29-03-2021, 10:04 PM

Yeah, Goldstein is still a force as a ruckman and has the ability to put English to the sword. Time to plant our flag and win our first 3 for the first time under Bevo.

soupman
29-03-2021, 10:14 PM
I've been thinking it could be an ok idea to rest Martin.

He probably doesn't need it, but he is 34 and he is going to have to miss some games. If we don't see him playing more than say 5 in a row why not reset the ledger now after he has had a pretty intense game against Naitanui?

Goldstein is very good, but English played very well on him last year in the corresponding fixture (although only had 5 hitouts), and it sets Martin up for a run of games against his old club, Jarrod Witts, GWS, Richmond and Carlton. I guess the easy alternative is you wait till the GWS game, but I'd be happy to take the chances to rest him when they come.

The replacement would be Schache, but he did get injured so who knows.

I'm not saying its a great idea, but i do think it's worth considering.

comrade
29-03-2021, 10:30 PM
I've been thinking it could be an ok idea to rest Martin.

He probably doesn't need it, but he is 34 and he is going to have to miss some games. If we don't see him playing more than say 5 in a row why not reset the ledger now after he has had a pretty intense game against Naitanui?

Goldstein is very good, but English played very well on him last year in the corresponding fixture (although only had 5 hitouts), and it sets Martin up for a run of games against his old club, Jarrod Witts, GWS, Richmond and Carlton. I guess the easy alternative is you wait till the GWS game, but I'd be happy to take the chances to rest him when they come.

The replacement would be Schache, but he did get injured so who knows.

I'm not saying its a great idea, but i do think it's worth considering.

I'd rest him against Brisbane if we're thinking about easiest match up for English as the number 1 ruck. Big O is battered and there isn't much back up.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 10:42 PM

Which means, of course, they do.

The only way to lose these type of games, is for the players to turn up after a good win assuming they'll walk all over North.

mjp
29-03-2021, 10:49 PM

Thanks for ruining my Easter break.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-03-2021, 11:02 PM
The vibes in here are ominous. We all know how this usually ends.

1eyedog
29-03-2021, 11:11 PM
We resting Martin two games into the season? Sounds silly.

EasternWest
29-03-2021, 11:19 PM
The only way to lose these type of games, is for the players to turn up after a good win assuming they'll walk all over North.

That's kinda my point.

Thanks for ruining my Easter break.

If it's any consolation, if we win on Friday night, Easter is saved.

kruder
29-03-2021, 11:52 PM
I'm keen for Wally to stay we need to build chemistry down forward and although below his best yesterday it was an improvement on round 1.

The last goal Naughty kicked off the amazing clearance from libba that ended up with Macrae felt like the first time Naughty and Bruce created separation, Bruce lead and took his opponent to the pocket which created space for Naughty up the guts.

More of this please, and while we are at it let the forward group watch the last quarter and also watch the 4 quarter performance from the WCE forwards just so bloody efficient.

I'm liking the fact that Bevo didn't bring Wood straight back in and made him earn his spot in which he mostly hasn't since winning the Premiership in 2016. We don't want Bailey Williams to become the Dunkley of 2021 constantly playing as the 3rd tall(out of position) hence in theory Wood, Cordy or Young should come into replace Williams who in turn takes Scott's role and gets more dangerous.

McNeil shouldn't be playing AFL footy at this stage and I think off a short break its a good chance to get a look at Westy/Cav

Bulldog Joe
30-03-2021, 07:10 AM
We resting Martin two games into the season? Sounds silly.

I think the 5 day turn round might be an issue with his physical style.

soupman
30-03-2021, 10:32 AM
I think the 5 day turn round might be an issue with his physical style.

Can't imagine having the 110kg Naitanui jumping into you all game would be an easy night either.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2021, 10:56 AM

Agree this has to be a statement game for us. We need to frank the respect earned from our first two wins. The top teams gap a team like North. Historically though we seem to find a way for ordinary teams to stay in the game.
We need to win and win well, not scrappily.

No disrespect to North at all, and not taking them lightly, but winning well against them on Friday would represent another test of our growth, or otherwise.

soupman
30-03-2021, 11:18 AM

We are not good at this. Our gamestyle and/or mentality seems to mean we never win nor lose by a lot, with a couple of exceptions to the latter and only one to the former (Essendon). It's like our performance is always pegged to no more than one standard deviation from the opponents level, and if both sides aren't in with a shot of winning the game going into the last quarter then it's not a Bulldogs game.

Expecting this to be a 24 point win that we never really looked like losing although North had a set shot with 10 minutes to go to get them within a kick.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Agree this has to be a statement game for us. We need to frank the respect earned from our first two wins. The top teams gap a team like North. Historically though we seem to find a way for ordinary teams to stay in the game.

No disrespect to North at all, and not taking them lightly, but winning well against them on Friday would represent another test of our growth, or otherwise.

I agree. Our percentage is always low and it can hurt us come the end of the season. It may be the difference in travelling vs not travelling or even 9th vs 8th. It's currently the lowest of the undefeated teams. Right now that's fine as we've had the toughest opponents but if we want to be considered top 4, we need to put our foot down.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-03-2021, 11:31 AM
We are not good at this. Our gamestyle and/or mentality seems to mean we never win nor lose by a lot, with a couple of exceptions to the latter and only one to the former (Essendon). It's like our performance is always pegged to no more than one standard deviation from the opponents level, and if both sides aren't in with a shot of winning the game going into the last quarter then it's not a Bulldogs game.

Expecting this to be a 24 point win that we never really looked like losing although North had a set shot with 10 minutes to go to get them within a kick.

euh. I feel like I just watched this weeks game.

comrade
30-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Hurn thumping the ball forward from the kick out was such a weapon for them, compared to Daniel's slower movement. We have a player on our list that the new kick out rule is perfectly suited for and that is JJ.

I don't know how we fit him in, but if he does play, he needs to be our designated kick out option.

Grantysghost
30-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Hurn thumping the ball forward from the kick out was such a weapon for them, compared to Daniel's slower movement. We have a player on our list that the new kick out rule is perfectly suited for and that is JJ.

I don't know how we fit him in, but if he does play, he needs to be our designated kick out option.

May did it in the pre-season game too. I get we set the zone deeper to the fatter part of the ground and that's the plan by the AFL, but I agree we seem to be slow to react to these things. I mean we just worked out the ruck after the third man up :cool:

Caleb should be the go to - but we need a guy that can roost it to the centre if required. It's a massive weapon as you say.

Can we get Suckers back as the special teams punter sub?

bornadog
30-03-2021, 11:36 AM
If we don't win this one comfortably on Friday, I will be very disappointed.

GVGjr
30-03-2021, 11:51 AM
If we don't win this one comfortably on Friday, I will be very disappointed.

I'll take a 24 point plus win but I'm hoping for 40+

Topdog
30-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Disagree. His kicking for goal was terrible (though he had company on that score), but his forward line pressure and strength at the contest was first rate. Our forward line is a crowded mess and there is no room for a player like him to lead etc.

His pressure wasn't up to scratch either. Agree with you that our forward line is crowded but this is actually another negative for Mitch. He has thrived the last few years with our big forwards not getting much of the ball. Now they are getting it a decent amount it means less opportunities for Mitch.

Again I wouldn't drop him this week because he has earned that extra chance over the past 2 seasons but as a forward he has 0 goals from 2 games (he was also poor in pre-season). If he doesn't produce again it will be very hard to keep him in.

Mantis
30-03-2021, 12:25 PM

JJ for Scott.

I know Wood is the logical choice, but what is his POD these days?

comrade
30-03-2021, 12:31 PM
JJ for Scott.

Yeah I don't mind it.

Wood would need to get back to intercepting/going 3rd man up for him to be really valuable. He did it a few times in the VFL game I saw but it's not his 1 'wood' any longer.

Axe Man
30-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Yeah I don't mind it.

Wood would need to get back to intercepting/going 3rd man up for him to be really valuable. He did it a few times in the VFL game I saw but it's not his 1 'wood; any longer.

I think Wood also has value as a lockdown defender on mediums or smalls and potentially in the rotation with Bailey Williams on a tall if needed (although Wood on a tall is not preferred). No great need this week but Charlie Cameron could be a job for Easton the following week.

comrade
30-03-2021, 12:38 PM
I think Wood also has value as a lockdown defender on mediums or smalls and potentially in the rotation with Bailey Williams on a tall if needed (although Wood on a tall is not preferred). No great need this week but Charlie Cameron could be a job for Easton the following week.

Yep, agree. He is better suited on smalls these days. Either way, I think he or JJ is going to provide more than Scott right now.

Crozier's peeling off as third man up is a decent loss. We're holding up ok considering.

Bulldog Joe
30-03-2021, 12:39 PM

I too will accept a 24 point win, but I am certainly hoping for significantly more. North have lost by 52 and 59 so I want at least 60.

However, when I look at our record any win will be better than what we have achieved with Bevo in charge.

Since 2015 we have reversed the result from the 1st 2 rounds in round 3.
EVERY SINGLE YEAR
2 wins followed by a loss or 2 losses followed by a win.

We need to turn up and WIN.

Bulldog Revolution
30-03-2021, 01:04 PM
JJ for Scott.

Thats my preferred move

Scott doesnt look a bad player, but was quiet, and I strongly believe JJ is in our best 22, and if hes doing the right stuff then Id like to see him re-introduced - We are getting more contributions from our backline and midfield to the point where JJ wont be target #1 or #2

Grantysghost
30-03-2021, 01:24 PM
Thats my preferred move

Scott doesnt look a bad player, but was quiet, and I strongly believe JJ is in our best 22, and if hes doing the right stuff then Id like to see him re-introduced - We are getting more contributions from our backline and midfield to the point where JJ wont be target #1 or #2

This exposes another issue with the sub rule. How do you justify bringing in JJ for Scott on no exposed form and a week without match fitness.
I'm ok with your idea but wary of the above.

comrade
30-03-2021, 01:36 PM
This exposes another issue with the sub rule. How do you justify bringing in JJ for Scott on no exposed form and a week without match fitness.

If the VFL game is scheduled before the AFL, I'm not sure why we don't just play the planned sub for half a game. At least they get game time to prove themselves and also get some match conditioning.

Danjul
30-03-2021, 02:10 PM
A 24 point win against a team that has just cleared the decks and gone into total rebuilding mode would simply confirm that we are not contenders. Nothing less than double that is acceptable.

jeemak
30-03-2021, 03:58 PM
Every team is capable of stretching another these days. Good teams sometimes get beaten by lesser teams, or at the very least tested by them.

At this stage of the season a win is a win, and there's a huge amount of water to go under the bridge before we start worrying about whether we're contenders or otherwise.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Every team is capable of stretching another these days. Good teams sometimes get beaten by lesser teams, or at the very least tested by them.

At this stage of the season a win is a win, and there's a huge amount of water to go under the bridge before we start worrying about whether we're contenders or otherwise.

I mean, you’re right, it’s too early to tell how good and how bad teams are. We normally don’t know until halfway through a season. Some teams start fast and drop off. Others are steady. Others work into the season. Adelaide were favourites for the bottom two or three spots and look at them right now. I’ll reserve my judgement of north until the game. I simply don’t want to see a wooden spoon team play like one and we just plod away to a four goal win. However if north put in a decent effort and we win by 4 goals, I’d absolutely take it.

jeemak
30-03-2021, 05:28 PM
I mean, you’re right, it’s too early to tell how good and how bad teams are. We normally don’t know until halfway through a season. Some teams start fast and drop off. Others are steady. Others work into the season. Adelaide were favourites for the bottom two or three spots and look at them right now. I’ll reserve my judgement of north until the game. I simply don’t want to see a wooden spoon team play like one and we just plod away to a four goal win. However if north put in a decent effort and we win by 4 goals, I’d absolutely take it.

This is pretty much my approach as well.

I remember in 2019 we went from starting well at 2-0, out of finals contention at round 10 at 4-6, into the finals as one of the hottest teams going around with people suggesting there was a 2016 feeling about us.......and then bundled out in a meek performance by the eventual grand finalists that most had written off.

We're going to have good days and bad days, or good quarters and bad quarters within matches and what is most important to me is how we can minimise the bad and scramble to always be in it more often than not if things aren't going our way. That's how we got to 15 wins in 2016 and that's what I want to see this year more so than beating up on the competition's minnows.

GVGjr
30-03-2021, 05:52 PM
A 24 point win against a team that has just cleared the decks and gone into total rebuilding mode would simply confirm that we are not contenders. Nothing less than double that is acceptable.

Winning big is not as easy or as straight forward as some think. I'd like to think we will get closer to a 40 point result but I'll still be happy enough with a 24 point result.

Topdog
30-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Yeah you can't say what you'd be happy with until you see the game. If we are up by 45 at 3qtr time and just take our foot off the gas I'd be frustrated.

To be honest any win will make me happy enough

azabob
30-03-2021, 07:47 PM
JJ for Scott.

JJ really struggles to defend one on one. That’s why I prefer Wood over JJ.

Bulldog Revolution
30-03-2021, 08:26 PM

They've seen him in VFL practice games the two weeks before, and know where he is at physically.

Id reckon they'd have data that would know whether he was fit enough to play or not

After that, Im just happy to back JJ in that he can produce

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-03-2021, 09:20 PM

Wood given his leadership qualities would be an ideal replacement if fit. Also provides marking support to both Gardner and Keath who struggle against high marking tall forwards. The move of Bailey Dale and continuing fine form of Williams has helped improve our defence

jeemak
30-03-2021, 09:34 PM
Wood given his leadership qualities would be an ideal replacement if fit. Also provides marking support to both Gardner and Keath who struggle against high marking tall forwards. The move of Bailey Dale and continuing fine form of Williams has helped improve our defence

Hey NBP do you think Crozier and Wood get games or is it one or the other when both are available accounting for no injuries and the continued form of Bailey Dale?

It's almost unthinkable that Bailey Dale would keep either of these guys out, but he's the incumbent and it's his spot to lose. I think that we are better with Wood and Crozier in the side, but it's a squeeze.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-03-2021, 10:56 PM
Hey NBP do you think Crozier and Wood get games or is it one or the other when both are available accounting for no injuries and the continued form of Bailey Dale?

It's almost unthinkable that Bailey Dale would keep either of these guys out, but he's the incumbent and it's his spot to lose. I think that we are better with Wood and Crozier in the side, but it's a squeeze.
We seem to have an abundance of back flankers to choose from. Crozier should be a lock in when fit. Duryea is another doing well to hold his place. Bailey Dale may well have the confidence to play forward again. I always felt that Richards was best in defence but is out injured at the moment. JJ presents another problem but still to be convinced he is in our best 22.

comrade
30-03-2021, 11:02 PM
Khamis is another one to consider in that 3rd tall/intercepting role. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game soon if his form on the weekend was anything to go by. He was Footscray's best marking defender by far and that group included Wood.

ratsmac
31-03-2021, 12:47 AM
I think Wood should be trying to be Dale Morris like these days. If he doesn't/can't intercept mark like he used to do so tell him to model his game on Moz. Play tall, play small, possessions don't matter, 1%ers do. Leave the intercepting to Williams, Crozier and Keath. The job he done on Charlie Cameron last year shows he already has the versatility like Moz had to play on the small nifty types if need be. Concentrate on being a more dour shut down type defender than a high flying flamboyant intercept marking one.

FrediKanoute
31-03-2021, 01:03 AM

I agree with this. I think its one thing to have a fabulous win against the WCE- hard fought, come from behind, type win. Good sides though will look at NM and eat them for breakfast. Are we a good side or have we just been in front for the last 2 weeks when the siren sounded. This week tells us as much about the players application and mental toughness - to do a job even when it should be easy - as the WCE win did.

Mantis
31-03-2021, 11:21 AM

True, and we probably need him to play on Charlie the following week, but to counter Easton isn't a great kick and hasn't been an effective or consistent interceptor for 6 or 7 years, but he did turn back the clock in the corresponding game last year so maybe we're hoping for more of that.

Mantis
31-03-2021, 11:23 AM
Khamis is another one to consider in that 3rd tall/intercepting role. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game soon if his form on the weekend was anything to go by. He was Footscray's best marking defender by far and that group included Wood.

He was impressive in the pre-season game when he had the unexpected opportunity so it would be great to get a look at him. Do you think his fitness levels would allow him to run out a game?

soupman
31-03-2021, 11:25 AM
True, and we probably need him to play on Charlie the following week, but to counter Easton isn't a great kick and hasn't been an effective or consistent interceptor for 6 or 7 years, but he did turn back the clock in the corresponding game last year so maybe we're hoping for more of that.

I'm not that keen to shoehorn Easton in, unless his form really demands it.

Duryea is able to play the small defensive role, so we don't need Easton for that. He hasn't been the intercept guy for years, so I wouldn't be picking him for that. Scott is the most vulnerable to come out, but I think he potentially offers more with his run and better footskills. I think playing Wood is like playing another tall defender except he doesn't play tall, I'd rather do the 2016 Bulldogs thing of backing our defence in to exploit the mismatches in our favour.

comrade
31-03-2021, 11:26 AM
He was impressive in the pre-season game when he had the unexpected opportunity so it would be great to get a look at him. Do you think his fitness levels would allow him to run out a game?

He's been on the list for a few years now so has some solid pre-seasons under his belt. Hasn't really struggled with injury either to hamper his development. It's hard to judge with the crappy anti-density rules at VFL level but he didn't seem to have an issue sprinting back inside 50 when required to re-set and finished the game out fine. I reckon he'd be ok.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Good suggestion. Rated his pre-season half v Melbourne.

If there's any week to 'blood' him, this is the week IMO.

soupman
31-03-2021, 12:10 PM
Do you think his fitness levels would allow him to run out a game?

If they aren't then why is he on the list? He has done 3 pre-seasons.

Ozza
31-03-2021, 01:14 PM
I don't feel the same need or rush to blood Sweet as others may.

Reilly O'Brien might be a similar case study to Sweet. Reilly was Drafted (a rookie) as a 20 year old in 2015 - and apart from 2 games he played due to an injury to Jacobs in 2016...he didn't play at all until 2019, and now is a regular and a good player turning 26 years old this season. And when he did start playing regularly in 2019 - he was fully prepared and a big contributor.

Sweet has just turned 23, English is 24 in August, Stef Martin is 35 in August. The opportunities will be there for Sweet to partner with Martin - and if it isn't until next year, I think that is fine. Martin playing this year and next - probably gets us through to a time where English and Sweet can make a really solid duo.

Mofra
31-03-2021, 02:05 PM
I don't feel the same need or rush to blood Sweet as others may.

Reilly O'Brien might be a similar case study to Sweet. Reilly was Drafted (a rookie) as a 20 year old in 2015 - and apart from 2 games he played due to an injury to Jacobs in 2016...he didn't play at all until 2019, and now is a regular and a good player turning 26 years old this season. And when he did start playing regularly in 2019 - he was fully prepared and a big contributor.

Sweet has just turned 23, English is 24 in August, Stef Martin is 35 in August. The opportunities will be there for Sweet to partner with Martin - and if it isn't until next year, I think that is fine. Martin playing this year and next - probably gets us through to a time where English and Sweet can make a really solid duo.
I'd happily debut Sweet this year to give Martin a rest.
I also don't think Goldstein is the guy to debut a kid against. Give him a crack at Flynn (GWS) or Hunter (St Kilda). Even a half fit Big O in Round 4 is a better option.

comrade
31-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Hard to get a handle on who comes in based on Bevo's presser today. He name checked Easton, JJ, Buku, Cavarra, West and Weightman as all knocking on the door.

He did say specifically that Easton's name was on the table and likely on the board so I expect him to come in.

comrade
31-03-2021, 02:06 PM
I'd happily debut Sweet this year to give Martin a rest.
I also don't think Goldstein is the guy to debut a kid against. Give him a crack at Flynn (GWS) or Hunter (St Kilda). Even a half fit Big O in Round 4 is a better option.

Yeah, I reckon Brisbane is the game to rest Martin from a match up perspective. He might want a crack at the old side though.

Axe Man
31-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Wood, JJ in selection mix (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/893838/wood-jj-in-selection-mix?fbclid=IwAR1TL6ySQwNfRpKipFvtVJxCLUFiGt3GTKmHSRAooqwZ5N6 AaS9bWNzlBIs)

Experienced defenders Easton Wood and Jason Johannisen are in the frame to return for the Western Bulldogs, when they face North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday afternoon.

Wood has spent the past two weeks in the VFL as he’s worked back from a hamstring injury, while Johannisen was the unused medical sub last week, having missed selection in the starting 22 for the opening two rounds.

Despite a 2-0 start to the season and some good signs from a developing back line, senior coach Luke Beveridge believes the Bulldogs have a way to go before they settle on their best mix.

“We’re fortunate enough to have won games, but there’s competition for spots as well and the complexion of our team will continue to evolve,” he told media on Wednesday.

Beveridge said Wood was a likely inclusion to face the Kangaroos in the Kick for the Kids game.

“His name’s definitely on the table and it’s more than likely it will probably go on the board as well,” he said.

“We wanted Easton to play another VFL game last week – with 30-minute quarters and the 75 interchange these days, if players are coming off soft tissue and there’s a little bit of doubt, we’ll make sure we’re really confident with them going in.

“That might mean spending another game at state league level, which Easton went and did and he played really well.”

Johannisen didn’t play any footy last week, after not being called upon as the medical sub.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs would steer away from using the same player in that role in consecutive weeks – but said it was a guide as to who is close to being selected.

“He’ll definitely play a full game, at AFL level or VFL level – he won’t be the sub again,” Beveridge said on Johannisen.

“If you’re the 23rd man – there’s probably a particular type that suits, and it suits the team from a versatility point of view.

“But it’s also probably a pecking order and a selection order as well. Last week because we didn’t make any changes, Westy was the sub and played state league (the following week).

“This week if we make changes, JJ’s a chance to come in.”

Grantysghost
31-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Read : wood in for Scott, JJ needs a game.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2021, 02:27 PM
No change.
Do not worry about Wally,
he will come good and normally pretty solid set shot.
Looked a little rattled on Sunday but that is something he can control.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Not hearing much about Cordy are we?

bornadog
31-03-2021, 02:54 PM
Based on the press conference I would say it will be:

In: Wood

Out: Scott

I wouldn't be surprised if it was no change and Wood medical sub.

Grantysghost
31-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Based on the press conference I would say it will be:

In: Wood

Out: Scott

I wouldn't be surprised if it was no change and Wood medical sub.

I'd rather Wood play another VFL game than have him sat there cold.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-03-2021, 03:11 PM
I’m backing in the Wood comes in for Scott. Then Scott will be the medical sub.

JJ, West and Buku keep playing. We will want to be 3.0 after this week. Once that is locked away I bet you that Bevo won’t be able to help himself. He will make changes the following two weeks and totally unsettle everyone and stuff up a perfectly good platform to launch the year.

I really hope I’m wrong, but as they say history repeats itself

bornadog
31-03-2021, 03:42 PM
I’m backing in the Wood comes in for Scott. Then Scott will be the medical sub.

JJ, West and Buku keep playing. We will want to be 3.0 after this week. Once that is locked away I bet you that Bevo won’t be able to help himself. He will make changes the following two weeks and totally unsettle everyone and stuff up a perfectly good platform to launch the year.

I really hope I’m wrong, but as they say history repeats itself

I don't believe he ever does this and we can argue for pages and pages, but let's agree to disagree.

Axe Man
31-03-2021, 03:53 PM
I don't believe he ever does this and we can argue for pages and pages, but let's agree to disagree.

Half the fans will be screaming to play the likes of Sweet, West, Cavarra, Khamis, etc and if we do the other half will scream that he is messing with the team and making crazy selections. Can't win!

jeemak
31-03-2021, 04:14 PM
Not hearing much about Cordy are we?

Bevo mentioned him as starting to play some good footy in his presser, when talking about competition for spots.

1eyedog
31-03-2021, 05:02 PM
I agree with this. I think its one thing to have a fabulous win against the WCE- hard fought, come from behind, type win. Good sides though will look at NM and eat them for breakfast. Are we a good side or have we just been in front for the last 2 weeks when the siren sounded. This week tells us as much about the players application and mental toughness - to do a job even when it should be easy - as the WCE win did.

Against a Collingwood with something to prove and a flag fancied West Coast. I'd say being in front at siren time against these two clubs implies we are a good side.

comrade
31-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Against a Collingwood with something to prove and a flag fancied West Coast. I'd say being in front at siren time against these two clubs implies we are a good side.

I think we're the only club other than Carlton to have played 2x 2020 finalists in the first 2 rounds?

1eyedog
31-03-2021, 07:27 PM
I think we're the only club other than Carlton to have played 2x 2020 finalists in the first 2 rounds?

100% correct.

Us= good
Carlton = still shit.

Way to make my night!

jeemak
31-03-2021, 08:55 PM
100% correct.

Us= good
Carlton = still shit.

Way to make my night!

Are you sure? On the radio they told me five minutes into the second quarter of the first Thursday night of the season that Carlton were amazing and their fans should be really excited because of how amazing they are. Surely after that much exposed form they couldn't have been wrong!

Testekill
01-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Wallis & Lipinski out, Wood & JJ in.

comrade
01-04-2021, 07:26 PM

I doubt anyone had those 2 as options.

Axe Man
01-04-2021, 07:27 PM
I doubt anyone had those 2 as options.

There was certainly talk about Wallis but Lipinski? That's a head scratcher.

A forward and a mid out for 2 defenders. JJ must surely be going to play wing/forward?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-04-2021, 07:34 PM
No surprise with Wallis. He needs to go back and find form.

Lipinski is unlucky, didn't think he had his best game v WCE but he was still OK. Wonder what the thinking is behind dropping a mid and a forward for two defenders? Scott or JJ could move up the ground, but I'm not sure Scott deserves another game in all honesty.

Happy Days
01-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Anyone else get the sense that Lipinski gets a shorter leash than most?

Grantysghost
01-04-2021, 07:41 PM

A forward and a mid out for 2 defenders. JJ must surely be going to play wing/forward?

I think that's a good idea - he's actually not a bad forward from the limited exposure he's had.

Wally was unfortunately well below par in the games so far this season. Wonder if the VC has had any effect?

comrade
01-04-2021, 07:43 PM

I can only assume there was some less than flattering footage of Lipinski's defensive running in his post game review. That plus the undisciplined 50m counted against him. Competition though that midfield is pretty fierce.

Axe Man
01-04-2021, 07:43 PM
North seem very short, McKay as the only tall defender. I guess Walker could play back. Does Goldy just ruck all day?

https://i.postimg.cc/FHhq7JZb/teams.png (https://postimg.cc/0bHZ4jhr)

Grantysghost
01-04-2021, 07:44 PM

I'm surprised although he wasn't as good this week as he was the week prior.

Seems like Bevo has got time for Scott.

GVGjr
01-04-2021, 07:53 PM

Yes, I know stats aren't everything but how many players would be dropped after 2 games averaging 23 disposals per game?
He must be not doing something that the MC have specifically asked him to do.

Both he and Wallis will need to be impressive with Footscray. Wallis being the VC and on the leadership team wasn't enough to overlook his two missed shots. I suspect if he had converted them it would have been very hard from the MC to drop him.

GVGjr
01-04-2021, 07:53 PM
I'm surprised although he wasn't as good this week as he was the week prior.

Seems like Bevo has got time for Scott.

New toys are the best :) Lets see if he follows the first season of Will Hayes.

comrade
01-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Corr and Bonar were amongst their best last week, both missing makes a mess of their defence. One of Bruce or Naughts to get off the chain is my tip.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2021, 07:59 PM
Corr and Bonar were amongst their best last week, both missing makes a mess of their defence. One of Bruce or Naughts to get off the chain is my tip.

I’m backing in both getting of the chain this week.

dog town
01-04-2021, 08:11 PM
Yes, I know stats aren't everything but how many players would be dropped after 2 games averaging 23 disposals per game?
He must be not doing something that the MC have specifically asked him to do.

Both he and Wallis will need to be impressive with Footscray. Wallis being the VC and on the leadership team wasn't enough to overlook his two missed shots. I suspect if he had converted them it would have been very hard from the MC to drop him. Wondering if the game opening up after Hunter went to the wing last week has inadvertently hurt Lipinski. If they decide to stick with Hunter on a wing I’m not sure Lipinski is one of their first choices to move forward. He is stiff either way but I’m thinking Lipinski has just been squeezed out on team balance rather than doing something unforgivable or lazy on the field.

Get the feeling they are hoping McNeil continues to progress rapidly and we end up with the pace we have craved forward. Vandermeer, JJ (maybe) and McNeil is starting to look a bit quicker albeit none of them cut their teeth as forwards.

1eyedog
01-04-2021, 08:15 PM

Lippa gave away two goals on Sunday.

1eyedog
01-04-2021, 08:16 PM
North seem very short, McKay as the only tall defender. I guess Walker could play back. Does Goldy just ruck all day?

https://i.postimg.cc/FHhq7JZb/teams.png (https://postimg.cc/0bHZ4jhr)

Treloar on a HFF Bont in the pocket we are spoilt for riches.

SquirrelGrip
01-04-2021, 08:29 PM
I wonder if Caleb plays higher up the ground?

The Doctor
01-04-2021, 08:55 PM
Wondering if the game opening up after Hunter went to the wing last week has inadvertently hurt Lipinski. If they decide to stick with Hunter on a wing I’m not sure Lipinski is one of their first choices to move forward. He is stiff either way but I’m thinking Lipinski has just been squeezed out on team band me rather than doing something unforgivable or lazy on the field.

Get the feeling they are hoping McNeil continues to progress rapidly and we end up with the pace we have craved forward. Vandermeer, JJ (maybe) and McNeil is starting to look a bit quicker albeit none of them cut their teeth as forwards.

Lipinski cost us goals last week with elementary errors & his defensive work is still poor at AFL level. He struggles in the pressure cooker big games. I think his demotion is warranted despite his good game in the 1st round.

Wallis, well if he isn't hitting the scoreboard & not able to pressure defenders enough it's hard to pick him. I think the bigger problem is his ground level game as a forward is not productive enough.

Wood & JJ are excellent inclusions on paper at least.

I like the MC are backing Scott & McNeil for now. Give them a decent go. Bevo & his MC were quite clever with this in his first 2 years. I don't like the in 1 week and out the next, particularly with newbies.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2021, 09:01 PM
Seems the Match committee has a very firm position on what the bar for selection is, and not delaying making changes even when its the VC whose failed to meet the criteria.i like it.

Dry Rot
01-04-2021, 09:50 PM
With Wallis dropped, when does the formal VFL season begin?

Dry Rot
01-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Thoughts on Scott and McNeil holding their spots?

Dry Rot
01-04-2021, 09:53 PM
Thoughts on whether we will be resting Martin during the H&A season, and whether we should have rested him in this game vs a hopeless side but with a gun ruckman?

Dry Rot
01-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Another question - what does West have to do to get selected, and who might he replace?

comrade
01-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Thoughts on Scott and McNeil holding their spots?

I can see why we persist with McNeil - his burst speed will become more of a weapon as his handling improves. Scott is lucky but I think he's being played out of position. I'd prefer him play as a forward/mid if we're going to pick him, so hopefully he gets a crack at the now vacant forward pocket role.

If he has another quiet one, I imagine West is next one on the list.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-04-2021, 10:45 PM
I’m not a huge fan of the inclusion of JJ AND Wood. They’re both defenders. Yes JJ can play up forward but he spent preseason playing defence correct? I’m assuming we will play him as a forward. In this case why haven’t we chosen a forward like Weightman, West or Cavarra to replace Wallis? I hope this isn’t simply picking JJ because he’s JJ.

Cyberdoggie
01-04-2021, 11:31 PM
I can see why we persist with McNeil - his burst speed will become more of a weapon as his handling improves. Scott is lucky but I think he's being played out of position. I'd prefer him play as a forward/mid if we're going to pick him, so hopefully he gets a crack at the now vacant forward pocket role.

If he has another quiet one, I imagine West is next one on the list.

I'm guessing that's what we'll see, scott going forward, maybe Dale forward. Curious to see both Lapinski and Wallis dropped. Maybe there is an injury there?

The Underdog
02-04-2021, 12:04 AM
Gee, the vice captaincy is really becoming a poisoned chalice

FrediKanoute
02-04-2021, 01:58 AM

That's the head scratching bit.....is Bailey Dale going forward? A bit disappointed with this. I would have thought that Wally had some more credits, but he isn't even in the emergencies

Vred
02-04-2021, 05:03 AM
That's the head scratching bit.....is Bailey Dale going forward? A bit disappointed with this. I would have thought that Wally had some more credits, but he isn't even in the emergencies

Honestly I'm fine with Dale forward, has shown he can kick bags when his having a good year.

jeemak
02-04-2021, 05:05 AM
Wallis hasn't hit the scoreboard in any of the competitive games against opposition apart from the Hawks, and he completely butchered two relatively easy opportunities in front of goal Sunday. Which would be OK, if he'd have hit the scoreboard in previous matches.

He's an opportunistic forward and if he's not able to generate opportunities or convert them then someone else should get a turn to do so. I reckon we'll see Scott and Hunter forward, JJ to a wing and Wood in defence.

jeemak
02-04-2021, 05:06 AM
Honestly I'm fine with Dale forward, has shown he can kick bags when his having a good year.

He's actually shown he can be elite as a forward.....just not for enough weeks in a row.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2021, 08:04 AM
Wallis hasn't hit the scoreboard in any of the competitive games against opposition apart from the Hawks, an
He's an opportunistic forward and if he's not able to generate opportunities or convert then someone else should get a turn to do so. I reckon we'll see Scott and Hunter forward, JJ to a wing and Wood in defence.

I don’t like Hunter coward at all, I would rather have Daniel and Dale forward as I think they both would impact and Dale would enjoy playing with these rules and the quicker ball movement. He has good leading pattens and repeat efforts to get shots on goal

Topdog
02-04-2021, 08:32 AM
I don’t like Hunter coward at all, I would rather have Daniel and Dale forward as I think they both would impact and Dale would enjoy playing with these rules and the quicker ball movement. He has good leading pattens and repeat efforts to get shots on goal

Yeah it's a big no from me with Hunter forward too. He is another that seems to hate trying to kick a goal.

comrade
02-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Yeah it's a big no from me with Hunter forward too. He is another that seems to hate trying to kick a goal.

Especially from a set shot :D

bornadog
02-04-2021, 10:05 AM

Hunter on HFF playing almost wing to HFF works, but maybe not deeper.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-04-2021, 12:33 PM
I would have thought we would pick a side to bolster our percentage. I must be short-sighted.

Mantis
02-04-2021, 12:42 PM
I would have thought we would pick a side to bolster our percentage. I must be short-sighted.

You would’ve picked a more offensive minded team?

And you do realise a good way to boost percentage is to limit the opposition’s score? I’d like to see us keep North under 50 points today and hopefully we can crack the ton.

EasternWest
02-04-2021, 01:06 PM
I’d like to see us keep North under 50 points today and hopefully we can crack the ton.

I am uncomfortable with this language.

Mantis
02-04-2021, 01:20 PM
I am uncomfortable with this language.

If it’s makes you feel better I was breaking out into a dry sweat as the words flowed.

EasternWest
02-04-2021, 03:58 PM
If it’s makes you feel better I was breaking out into a dry sweat as the words flowed.

Marginally better.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know who the sub is today. I just can’t seem to find out.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-04-2021, 04:48 PM
Ok got it off the other thread. Patty sits it out today.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-04-2021, 06:58 PM
Move Bruce to CHB.

Grantysghost
02-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Promote McNeil to VC.

KT31
02-04-2021, 11:19 PM

And you do realise a good way to boost percentage is to limit the opposition’s score? I’d like to see us keep North under 50 points today and hopefully we can crack the ton.

Wish granted.

westdog54
02-04-2021, 11:47 PM

When you said 'crack the ton', did you mean score or winning margin?

Mantis
03-04-2021, 10:20 AM
When you said 'crack the ton', did you mean score or winning margin?

I was hoping for a 60-70 point margin... doubling that was a pleasant surprise.