PDA

View Full Version : The Moment, rnd 2, 2021: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 04:14 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in today's game against West Coast. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

Throughandthrough
28-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Bailey Williams , three eagles forwards, two minutes to go. Big week for the Williams family. His grandfather would have loved that match.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Bailey Williams , three eagles forwards, two minutes to go. Big week for the Williams family. His grandfather would have loved that match.

Totally agree. He has really become very reliable and cool under pressure.

westbulldog
28-03-2021, 07:12 PM
Williams v 3 for me too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-03-2021, 07:12 PM
I agree with T&T's choice.
Another candidate is the whole play that saw Naughton put us in front. Scrimmage in the middle, it almost looked at if the ball would bobble out to the West Coast guys on the outside, but Libba was there and he somehow managed to will himself to get control of the possession and scunge a little kick out that ended up with Treloar getting out and then giving it to Macrae who then lowered his eyes and hit Naughton on the lead.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2021, 07:14 PM

Ditto

Hotdog60
28-03-2021, 07:23 PM

I say this was it and I was a bit concerned that Bruce didn't go hard enough like he was happy for it to bounce out but thankfully it didn't and he managed to get it down to the Bont.

DOG GOD
28-03-2021, 07:25 PM

Absolutely this

Twodogs
28-03-2021, 07:31 PM
Libba somehow getting back on his feet and ripping the ball away from a nest of Eagles players to win that clearance right at the end. How did he do that?

hujsh
28-03-2021, 08:09 PM
I agree with T&T's choice.
Another candidate is the whole play that saw Naughton put us in front. Scrimmage in the middle, it almost looked at if the ball would bobble out to the West Coast guys on the outside, but Libba was there and he somehow managed to will himself to get control of the possession and scunge a little kick out that ended up with Treloar getting out and then giving it to Macrae who then lowered his eyes and hit Naughton on the lead.

Perfect moment for him in his 150th too. He missed the 'milestone' goal early and didn't quite connect with some assists but that right there is the perfect highlight to sum up what he brings to this team

jeemak
28-03-2021, 08:30 PM
I agree with Williams, though as an alternative the handball intercept by McNeil where rather than flicking off the ball which would have been the easy thing to do he got on his bike, held onto the footy and ran at the defence. This created uncertainty for the defenders and he timed his handball to Vandermeer perfectly.

He has a long way to go but that's what he needs to be doing when he gets his chances.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Duryea spoil on west coasts second last foray into their 50. He doesn’t throw himself in that pack they would have marked it no question.

Vred
28-03-2021, 08:45 PM
Williams 1 v 3, that's going to be highlight material for the rest of his career.

The Pie Man
28-03-2021, 08:48 PM
Williams outstanding, though wouldn’t have had the opportunity to be as important as it was without the McNeil Steal

chef
28-03-2021, 08:49 PM
The Mooroopna boy running in and goaling, easily my favourite player.

bornadog
28-03-2021, 09:57 PM
Kruder describes the moment perfectly

You got to love Vandermeer he just makes shit happen. His block for Hunter in the last was so good which enabled him to gather possession then he came back to the footy received from Hunter and hit Naughty on the chest.

That kid is Bulldog through and through.

angelopetraglia
28-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Bailey Williams. Right in front of me. Amazing effort and then composure to get the ball into safety.

EasternWest
28-03-2021, 10:24 PM
Duryea spoil on west coasts second last foray into their 50. He doesn’t throw himself in that pack they would have marked it no question.

Great call. That was an amazing spoil. He's a good player Duryea.

A few good moments worthy of mentioning but I loved Mark Latham putting the block in for Hunter then getting on his bike to receive the pass back.

If Bailey Smith won't marry me, maybe Laitham will.

Twodogs
28-03-2021, 10:27 PM
The Mooroopna boy running in and goaling, easily my favourite player.

Our best player from Mooroopna since Gary Cowton!

Grantysghost
28-03-2021, 10:41 PM
McNeil putting on the afterburners and handing the baton to Vandermeer for that goal.
Scintillating.

bornadog
28-03-2021, 10:47 PM
McNeil putting on the afterburners and handing the baton to Vandermeer for that goal.
Scintillating.

Great to watch two speedsters.

SonofScray
29-03-2021, 09:32 AM
The replay didn’t quite convey things as well as my eyeballs perceived them, but McNeil’s burst from the wing, inside and hard through a bit of traffic to get the footy to Dutch for an important, crowd lifting goal was one that really had us out of our seats. Overwhelmingly positive, powerful footy.

comrade
29-03-2021, 09:37 AM
The replay didn’t quite convey things as well as my eyeballs perceived them, but McNeil’s burst from the wing, inside and hard through a bit of traffic to get the footy to Dutch for an important, crowd lifting goal was one that really had us out of our seats. Overwhelmingly positive, powerful footy.

Tom Boyd's miracle aside (which will go down in history as our greatest ever), that Vandermeer goal was the best since Bont's in the prelim. Similar vibes too, game on a knife edge, pace breaks it open, a young gun takes his chance.

Grantysghost
29-03-2021, 09:50 AM
After watching the replay I've got an honourable mention for the moment.

Gardner's smother on the Cripps set shot early in the last. That goes through it's probably good night, but he strained every sinew in his body to get a fingertip on that kick and keep us alive.

The free kick in the lead up was pretty harsh, there were about 5 set of hands keeping it under him !

I think he's really developing well. Did some nice things, couple of great spoils on the members wing.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 09:57 AM

Gardner's smother on the Cripps set shot early in the last. That goes through it's probably good night, but he strained every sinew in his body to get a fingertip on that kick and keep us alive.

The free kick in the lead up was pretty harsh, there were about 5 set of hands keeping it under him !

I think he's really developing well. Did some nice things, couple of great spoils on the members wing.

I like the way he just goes the spoil instead of trying to mark everything. He needs to get stronger for those one on one situations.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Tom Boyd's miracle aside (which will go down in history as our greatest ever), that Vandermeer goal was the best since Bont's in the prelim. Similar vibes too, game on a knife edge, pace breaks it open, a young gun takes his chance.

BT even called it the same on comms. He knew.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Great call. That was an amazing spoil. He's a good player Duryea.

A few good moments worthy of mentioning but I loved Mark Latham putting the block in for Hunter then getting on his bike to receive the pass back.

If Bailey Smith won't marry me, maybe Laitham will.

Yep that was a good one too. A lot of nice 1%ers yesterday. These are the things that win you games. It's good to see.

The Underdog
29-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Scintillating.

We’ll all remember where we were for the McSteal.

Grantysghost
29-03-2021, 10:35 AM
We’ll all remember where we were for the McSteal.

Haha gold.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 10:39 AM
Plenty of them yesterday

McNeil Steal
Bailey hail mary v 3
Bont clutch goal
Libba's extraction which ended up Macrae to Naughton
Bailey Dale bodylining the contest late.

comrade
29-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Plenty of them yesterday

McNeil Steal
Bailey hail mary v 3
Bont clutch goal
Libba's extraction which ended up Macrae to Naughton
Bailey Dale bodylining the contest late.

So basically the entire last quarter :D

Mantis
29-03-2021, 11:23 AM
I like the way he just goes the spoil instead of trying to mark everything. He needs to get stronger for those one on one situations.

I don't. Nearly every team has tall defenders who takes marks from the oppositions kicks which creates the turnover. We don't and we need to.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-03-2021, 11:32 AM
I don't. Nearly every team has tall defenders who takes marks from the oppositions kicks which creates the turnover. We don't and we need to.

Keath is that guy isn't he? Well, at least he was at Adelaide.

jeemak
29-03-2021, 11:56 AM

Isn't the game much better now that you can accidentally get the ball disposed of two you when you're on your knees, take and lose possession and then have possession forced upon you and you get penalised for it!

But only sometimes and inconsistently within short periods of time.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 11:58 AM

Keath is that guy isn't he? Well, at least he was at Adelaide.

I trust Keath with this role. He took 9 marks last week but only three this, but WestCoast have some very good contested markers in their forward line, so the spoil is better so that Williams, Duryea and Caleb can mop up.

The Doctor
29-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Williams was epic but what about Gardner standing the mark against Cripps from point blank range and he gets a touch on it. I thought we were gone. 2nd time he has done it in big moments vs West Coast. Did it last year in the must win game as well.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 12:05 PM
Isn't the game much better now that you can accidentally get the ball disposed of two you when you're on your knees, take and lose possession and then have possession forced upon you and you get penalised for it!

Apparently it doesn’t count if you’re trying to mark it and don’t. Unless it does count, in which case it counts. Unless it doesn’t.

The big positive was Treloar giving it to the cowardly Chamberlain. What a quarter he had both in terms of game contribution and making me fall in love with him.

Bulldog Revolution
29-03-2021, 12:06 PM
Scintillating.

There were many moments later, but this was one that I loved - it was the closest I can remember to JJ gathering at half back against the Giants in 2016 and putting it in front of Bont.

The dashing verve of the two youngsters

jeemak
29-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Apparently it doesn’t count if you’re trying to mark it and don’t. Unless it does count, in which case it counts. Unless it doesn’t.

The big positive was Treloar giving it to the cowardly Chamberlain. What a quarter he had both in terms of game contribution and making me fall in love with him.

A more popular player probably doesn't get pinged like Gardner did. I think that's what was applied to the McGovern situation.

Axe Man
29-03-2021, 12:26 PM
The mongrel punt had a good take on mongrel Ray's non-decision:

PAY IT, RAY

Oh geez… on the heels of a game on Friday night where we saw one of the most gutless umpiring decisions in recent history, cost the Brisbane Lions a chance to win the game, we had Razor Ray Chamberlain – a man who is notorious for being quick on the whistle, allowed Jeremy McGovern a get out of jail free opportunity after he dragged the footy in after spilling a mark.

Now, normally you’d give Ray the benefit of the doubt – umpires make mistakes and all we want is a bit of consistency, right? I’m all for that… assuming there wasn’t a holding the ball paid at the other end earlier in the quarter.

Every man and his dog… especially the Dogs, actually, knew that this was a clear holding the ball decision, but Ray apparently thought different, opining that McGovern didn’t dive on it or drag it in. Instead, Ray offered that Gov simply was trying to mark it…

… with the ball on the ground.

What was this? Backyard cricket with one-hand, one-bounce in place?

In the washup, this will be washed away, as the Dogs did the work to get up, anyway, but as a neutral watching the game, this was another cause for a bit of frustration. Throw this in with the clear too high against Liam Ryan earlier in the game that was let go because… look, I don’t know why, and you can see why footy fans get frustrated.

Link (https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2021/2021/03/28/western-bulldogs-v-west-coast-the-good-bad-and-ugly-early-released/)

Mofra
29-03-2021, 12:51 PM
I know the 1 on 3 will get all the Bailey Williams love, but earlier in the last quarter he gathered a loose ball while hemmed in on the boundary, turned around and snapped a half gather straight to Hunter. How he even saw him I won't know.

This is a guy who played undersized all night so we still managed to keep our same level of back-half run, often copping Oscar Allen who is a brilliant young tall in his own right. Yes we had some amazing mids stand up (Treloar to the centre in the 4th - wonderful) but Bailey's game was supurb.

Happy Days
29-03-2021, 12:58 PM
A more popular player probably doesn't get pinged like Gardner did. I think that's what was applied to the McGovern situation.

I think the Gardner one was actually the right decision based on how it’s being adjudicated. The McGovern non-decision was horrible and smacked of the moment being too big for the decision maker.

jeemak
29-03-2021, 01:03 PM
I think the Gardner one was actually the right decision based on how it’s being adjudicated. The McGovern non-decision was horrible and smacked of the moment being too big for the decision maker.

Probably right, whether you like the way it's being adjudicated or otherwise.

AshMac
29-03-2021, 02:11 PM
The 5 seconds we were leading in the last quarter after vandermeers goal were pretty nice

bulldogsthru&thru
29-03-2021, 03:20 PM

Or a popular team in front of their rabid, feral fans like Blicavs against the lions. That gets paid if it's up at the Gabba or even at a neutral venue.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 03:25 PM
A special shout out to the old bulldogs behind me at the footy yesterday who were amongst the most one-eyed I'd ever sat near at a footy game.

And I don't think my ears have stopped ringing from the young girls in our section that shrieked at ear bleeding levels for the whole game.

If not for the last 10 minutes and the end result, it was making me think that maybe last season wasn't all that bad watching from the loungeroom ;)

Axe Man
29-03-2021, 03:51 PM
A special shout out to the old bulldogs behind me at the footy yesterday who were amongst the most one-eyed I'd ever sat near at a footy game.

And I don't think my ears have stopped ringing from the young girls in our section that shrieked at ear bleeding levels for the whole game.

If not for the last 10 minutes and the end result, it was making me think that maybe last season wasn't all that bad watching from the loungeroom ;)

I think it's fairly safe to say a guy behind me yesterday was not Ryan Gardner's biggest fan. We all get frustrated at players but he seemed to be there just roast him. A few of us in the general vicinity took it upon ourselves to cheer a little bit louder whenever Ryan had a good moment.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 04:00 PM
I think it's fairly safe to say a guy behind me yesterday was not Ryan Gardner's biggest fan. We all get frustrated at players but he seemed to be there just roast him. A few of us in the general vicinity took it upon ourselves to cheer a little bit louder whenever Ryan had a good moment.

There's a fair few broken records at the footy, that's for sure. Either picking a player to pot relentlessly, the umpires, or the 'stop handballing and just kick it' brigade, who haven't stumbled across the fact that it has been a part of our identity as a side for 6 years now to use handball to move the footy.

bornadog
29-03-2021, 04:05 PM

There's a fair few broken records at the footy, that's for sure. Either picking a player to pot relentlessly, the umpires, or the 'stop handballing and just kick it' brigade, who haven't stumbled across the fact that it has been a part of our identity as a side for 6 years now to use handball to move the footy.

I don't understand the bagging of our players at the game. I don't mind constructive criticism like on WOOF, but gee some people losing it and stressing out for nothing.

Ozza, last week I sat amongst Pies fans and they was so bad I wanted to leave the MCG. It was good to sit amongst doggies fans - well at least for me as they were a pretty good bunch

Ozza
29-03-2021, 04:16 PM
I don't understand the bagging of our players at the game. I don't mind constructive criticism like on WOOF, but gee some people losing it and stressing out for nothing.

Ozza, last week I sat amongst Pies fans and they was so bad I wanted to leave the MCG. It was good to sit amongst doggies fans - well at least for me as they were a pretty good bunch

I think it doesn't really matter who the team is, there are good supporters and bad ones for every club. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not so much!!

Mantis
29-03-2021, 04:41 PM

But there are times to kick it and our refusal to do so on numerous occasions cost us goals yesterday....I guess if you’re going to live by it you need to be willing to do by it too.

merantau
29-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Williams effort was the game saver. Libba's willing himself to get that clearance was inspiring.

Ozza
29-03-2021, 05:14 PM
But there are times to kick it and our refusal to do so on numerous occasions cost us goals yesterday....I guess if you’re going to live by it you need to be willing to do by it too.

No doubt - but its how we play. If we were more of a kicking side, there would no doubt be times we would turn it over by foot to cost us goals, or frustration from fans for kicking without creativity down the line.

I'm glad we actually have a clear style in how we play. Some of the teams I've watched over the last couple of weeks, its hard to see anything identifiable about their game plan. Essendon, GWS, North....they don't seem to have anything to point to and say 'this is what we do/this is our brand of footy'.

jeemak
29-03-2021, 05:53 PM
No doubt - but its how we play. If we were more of a kicking side, there would no doubt be times we would turn it over by foot to cost us goals, or frustration from fans for kicking without creativity down the line.

I'm glad we actually have a clear style in how we play. Some of the teams I've watched over the last couple of weeks, its hard to see anything identifiable about their game plan. Essendon, GWS, North....they don't seem to have anything to point to and say 'this is what we do/this is our brand of footy'.

It was abundantly clear there were two sides on the park yesterday with two distinct brands. As I said in the matchday thread I was getting frustrated in the third because I thought we conceded too much territory to WCE and didn't take enough of our own when we could/ should have, but it looked worse at the ground than it did on the replay. It was really interesting to see the two styles clash.

FrediKanoute
29-03-2021, 11:13 PM
The McNeil Steal; Run: pass to Vanders for a Goal - superb

kruder
29-03-2021, 11:31 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but how the hell did Cripps kick into the man on the mark 15 metres out at the start of the last? A sliding doors moment thats for sure.

Twodogs
30-03-2021, 12:26 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but how the hell did Cripps kick into the man on the mark 15 metres out at the start of the last? A sliding doors moment thats for sure.

That goal would have finished us off, there would have been no coming back from that far behind. We literally hung in by a fingernail.

jeemak
30-03-2021, 01:05 AM
I dunno, it's early in the season of course however, this group playing the way they are seem to have a bit of a different mindset and some confidence. Each time the ball goes back to the centre the game changes and that may have kicked us into gear a touch earlier.

Not saying I'm not glad it was touched. Absolutely it was a great thing it was touched.

Bulldog Joe
30-03-2021, 07:13 AM

The Footy gods disagreed with Ray and acted accordingly.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2021, 08:45 AM
The Footy gods disagreed with Ray and acted accordingly.

From memory, that's the 2nd time Gardner has tipped a kick when standing on the nark close to goal. Goid job Gard, remaining switched on.

Ozza
30-03-2021, 09:43 AM
From memory, that's the 2nd time Gardner has tipped a kick when standing on the nark close to goal. Goid job Gard, remaining switched on.

He did it for a kick after the half time siren last year either against West Coast or Gold Coast....but definitely in a game we won by under a kick.

bornadog
30-03-2021, 09:59 AM

Simpson mentioned this in his presso. He said there were a number of smothers touches and his players just couldn't get it right.

comrade
30-03-2021, 10:01 AM
The moment could have been Hunter's decision to toe poke under pressure directly to 3 Eagles mids before Williams saved his bacon - Bevo has mentioned it twice, once in the post match presser and again in his AFL 360 appearance last night, so I imagine Lachie copped it for that one

soupman
30-03-2021, 10:35 AM

Pretty sure it's his third.

For all the criticism he gets he is elite in something I didn't even know was a thing.

Happy Days
30-03-2021, 10:37 AM
The moment could have been Hunter's decision to toe poke under pressure directly to 3 Eagles mids before Williams saved his bacon - Bevo has mentioned it twice, once in the post match presser and again in his AFL 360 appearance last night, so I imagine Lachie copped it for that one

Yeah I’ve watched that bit of play probably 10 times now and every time I cringe a little more. I get what he was trying to do but wow that would’ve and probably should’ve hurt.

Williams was amazing winning that contest but what on earth was the West Coast guy thinking looking for Ryan instead of the two guys all on their own in front of him?

soupman
30-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Williams was amazing winning that contest but what on earth was the West Coast guy thinking looking for Ryan instead of the two guys all on their own in front of him?

Someone posted a video of the final minute online from the perspective of level 3. It's amazing that when the kick is taken to that contest Bailey Williams is probably 30m away. If Ryan doesn't lead Bailey probably stays deep and the two other Eagles have a shot from 40m out on the run.

Topdog
30-03-2021, 12:12 PM
With the Gardner smother, stupid question here. But with the new rule to stand are you actually allowed to jump for the smother? Also when jumping technically should it be literally straight up and down which is almost impossible to do?

Twodogs
30-03-2021, 12:41 PM
With the Gardner smother, stupid question here. But with the new rule to stand are you actually allowed to jump for the smother? Also when jumping technically should it be literally straight up and down which is almost impossible to do?

It's a good question. Stupid rule but a good question.

Short answer is I don't know. Long answer is I think that you can but only straight up and down.

comrade
30-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Jumping up and down is fine. Any deviation forward, backward or to the side would be 50m.

Twodogs
30-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Someone posted a video of the final minute online from the perspective of level 3. It's amazing that when the kick is taken to that contest Bailey Williams is probably 30m away. If Ryan doesn't lead Bailey probably stays deep and the two other Eagles have a shot from 40m out on the run.

Do you have a link?

Happy Days
30-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Jumping up and down is fine. Any deviation forward, backward or to the side would be 50m.

They swallowed the whistle on this rule this weekend I reckon. Barrass got away with one late that was text book.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2021, 02:10 PM
It was a supreme effort by Gardner to touch that Cripp's kick. He got down low on his haunches and rocketted upward with fingers high.

josie
30-03-2021, 02:23 PM
I was harsh on Gardner during the game but having watched replay he did ok. Hoping his confidence grows and he can mark rather than always punch, and that he learns to keep his weight low so not so easily bumped off in 1 on 1 contests. He gives his all, that much is clear. Our cognitive bias can play a part in what we “see” and remember, knowing this and ensuring e do not for it are two different things. Without that touched kick I think we were gone too. Good moment to select Kruder.

For me the 3 last goals by Bruce, Naughts & Bont were outstanding in light of our goal kicking wobbles & I hope it grows confidence for them & rest of team. Not really a moment but lived Macrae having a snap - it missed but love to see him have a go from close range. Such a gun and even better if he snags a few more goals.

I’m warming to McNeill too but really hope Cav and West get a go soon too.

bornadog
30-03-2021, 02:40 PM
Do you have a link?

I think it is this one:

https://twitter.com/cousinrod/status/1376099828053143554

Twodogs
30-03-2021, 02:57 PM
Thanks BAD. That's epic.

westdog54
30-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Thanks BAD. That's epic.

I loved watching the ground level replay as the ball made its way along the wing. Watching the members go progressively crazy was fun.

bornadog
30-03-2021, 03:35 PM
Interesting take by Bevo in the members brief on the new rules.

Watch here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/bevosbrief-rd2-2021?spMailingID=6743759&spUserID=Mjg4ODA2MjM3OTY2S0&spJobID=1220818415&spReportId=MTIyMDgxODQxNQS2)

soupman
30-03-2021, 04:50 PM
I think it is this one:

https://twitter.com/cousinrod/status/1376099828053143554

Thats the one. Not quite how I remember it but certainly there were a lot of options that didn't involve kicking it to a Dog.

jeemak
30-03-2021, 06:54 PM
Thats the one. Not quite how I remember it but certainly there were a lot of options that didn't involve kicking it to a Dog.

Lowering the eyes is such an important element in those sorts of situations. Hard to do, like really hard.

merantau
31-03-2021, 05:40 AM

Exactly.

merantau
31-03-2021, 05:46 AM

Exactly right again. We saw it in Cats v Lions. Zac Bailey cruelled twice. First v Bews and the 2nd v Blicavs cost them the game as has been admitted by the AFL, I believe.

AshMac
31-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Exactly right again. We saw it in Cats v Lions. Zac Bailey cruelled twice. First v Bews and the 2nd v Blicavs cost them the game as has been admitted by the AFL, I believe.

Spot on, blatantly obvious when 5 mins later the exact same thing happened with McGovern down the other end.