PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 3, 2021 vs North Melbourne Kangaroos

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-04-2021, 04:33 PM
This is the round 3, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

westbulldog
02-04-2021, 08:26 PM
Bankers
Bruce /10
Treloar, more a bulldog each week.
Liberatore, his in and under work was solely responsible for many clearances.

Anchors
Vandermeer, cost the kids 3 grand.
Martin, probably should have been rested.
Scott, he has had a taste but not quite there yet.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Bankers

Bruce... I know there wasn't a great matchup for him.. but you've got to go back to Beasley for a 10 goal game from a Bulldog.
Naughton- the passage of play just past chf, he competed in the air, followed up on the ground, won a tough possession, broke free and delivered a beautiful pass to Vandermeer. We don't lack for anything on the ground or for defensive pressure from Naughts, and he's a key position player.
Treloar - he's really starting to be an important cog in the midfield, 3 goals and could've had 4 as well.

Anchors
Vandermeer 2 dumb 50's by not being switched on and missed two simple shots on goal.
Keath played well, but his causing Gardner's injury has been coming for a while, he's crashed into Gards a couple of times, and it's unnecessary.
that'll do in a record victory

macca
02-04-2021, 09:27 PM
Bankers:
Bruce - had a field day. Ran hard and benefited from better 50 delivery. Naughton is so important to us as he provides the decoy to take out the first defender. Loving seeing these 2 play in tandem
Depth- players are on edge and playing hungry footy. We have a fair few players wanting to get into this team now: Crozier, Cordy, West, Cavarra, Jong. JJ just did enought. I reckon we persist with McNeil and Scott, and just let them play on the bleeding edge.

Treloar: his at the end of the handball chain and has more time to have accurate kicks. We are going to be the benefit from his kicking and burst of speed. The goals pretty much sums it up.

Stamp on the game: we finally put a team to the sword and just bury them. North will have to get rid of a fair few players. It was great to see Ziebel being hid down back. Cannot even run out a game, but did manage to tackle Bruce and smash his head into the ground in the last quarter. No free of course

Anchors:
Goal kick: still poor and we should have ticket 5 more. Percentage is going to be important towards the end of the year

New afl rules: holding the arms and cannot move on the mark, really stupid. Well done afl just make the game more complicated

bornadog
02-04-2021, 10:41 PM
Bankers

1. Can't go past Bruce and ten

2. The whole team for going on with the win and not easing up

3. English, he is really is a weapon around the ground.

Anchors

1.Standing on the mark rule - it is pure rubbish

2. Gardners injury - AC will be out for awhile.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-04-2021, 10:48 PM
Bankers

1. Can't go past Bruce and ten

2. The whole team for going on with the win and not easing up

3. English, he is really is a weapon around the ground.

Anchors

1.Standing on the mark rule - it is pure rubbish

2. Gardners injury - ACL will be out for awhile.

AC joint in the shoulder. Just to make it clear.

soupman
03-04-2021, 12:17 AM
Bankers

Goes to three guys I have questioned in the past 12 months.

Josh Bruce. Was woeful last year, possibly the worst season I have seen in our colours and I was appropriately critical. Has clearly made some big changes this year and should be very proud of his form thus far. Tonight was outstanding, but his ability to stay involved, complement the rest of our forwardline and be an actual threat this year across all 3 games is what we have needed from him. Very impressed.

Bailey Dale. I was very sceptical of his future with us, and also very sceptical of his move to defence. He has been fantastic. His intercept marking is far better than I anticipated, his willingness to move the ball quickly and directly is refreshing and I thought he had a few moments where he could squib the contest tonight and instead he put his body on the line. Very impressed.

Adam Treloar. I have been skeptical with his recruitment, mostly because i don't think he improves us greatly for the cost. Well tonight he was phenomenal, if he can be the fast moving attacking threat he was tonight consistently then we will be much better for it. I knew he was a very good player, but he had some outstanding plays tonight. Very impressed.

Anchors

Lachlan McNeill. I like aspects of his play and certainly the type of player he is seems useful, but he isn't up to the standard just yet. He's had a decent taste, i would be rewarding a VFL bloke like Cavarra with an opportunity to stake his claim.

Ryan Gardner. Injury tonight sucks, thought he was finally looking AFL quality and at least trying to assert himself. Him going down leaves us very thin at the back, and with the next two being the underwhelming Cordy and Young I am surprising myself by finding I am hoping for a quick turnaround for Gardner. Maybe Khamis gets a go?

Caleb Daniel. Love him but thats two very sloppy weeks in a row. Could the unthinkable have happened? Could Daniel actually have hit some bad form?

bornadog
03-04-2021, 12:41 AM
Caleb Daniel. Love him but thats two very sloppy weeks in a row. Could the unthinkable have happened? Could Daniel actually have hit some bad form?

This is really harsh on a guy that has 30 disposals, runs at 83.3 DE% and has 3 clangers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-04-2021, 12:42 AM
Bankers

Goes to three guys I have questioned in the past 12 months.

Josh Bruce. Was woeful last year, possibly the worst season I have seen in our colours and I was appropriately critical. Has clearly made some big changes this year and should be very proud of his form thus far. Tonight was outstanding, but his ability to stay involved, complement the rest of our forwardline and be an actual threat this year across all 3 games is what we have needed from him. Very impressed.

Bailey Dale. I was very sceptical of his future with us, and also very sceptical of his move to defence. He has been fantastic. His intercept marking is far better than I anticipated, his willingness to move the ball quickly and directly is refreshing and I thought he had a few moments where he could squib the contest tonight and instead he put his body on the line. Very impressed.

Adam Treloar. I have been skeptical with his recruitment, mostly because i don't think he improves us greatly for the cost. Well tonight he was phenomenal, if he can be the fast moving attacking threat he was tonight consistently then we will be much better for it. I knew he was a very good player, but he had some outstanding plays tonight. Very impressed.

Anchors

Lachlan McNeill. I like aspects of his play and certainly the type of player he is seems useful, but he isn't up to the standard just yet. He's had a decent taste, i would be rewarding a VFL bloke like Cavarra with an opportunity to stake his claim.

Ryan Gardner. Injury tonight sucks, thought he was finally looking AFL quality and at least trying to assert himself. Him going down leaves us very thin at the back, and with the next two being the underwhelming Cordy and Young I am surprising myself by finding I am hoping for a quick turnaround for Gardner. Maybe Khamis gets a go?

Good synopsis, but reckon Anthony Scott was worse than McNeil, and whilst Caleb fluffed another critical kick, i still thought overall he was productive.

soupman
03-04-2021, 12:46 AM
This is really harsh on a guy that has 30 disposals, runs at 83.3 DE% and has 3 clangers.

I notice you didn't get to three anchors. I gave it a go. A 128 point win makes it hard:)

I think this says more about the very high standard I am used to Daniel playing. He was by no means bad (and I gues that makes the bad form bit of my post a bit inaccurate) but his last two weeks have had more poorly executed plays than his past 2 season I reckon ( which means he might have stuffed up something like a total of 4 times in the last 2 weeks combined).

ratsmac
03-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Bankers.

1. Bruce. Unbelievable to see a bulldog kick double figures this day and age. Super game and super effort to turn his form around from last year. Reward for effort.

2. Libba at the coal face. I had him second best on in my votes. His ability to win the contested footy then squirt it out to a player is such a weapon. And he is so reliable. Love him.

3. Bont having a quiet game and we win by 128 points. We aren't reliant on Bontempelli to get us up and going. We bat deep and with confidence amongst the group this midfield is sending shudders through the competition.

Anchors

1. Vander. Still love what he brings but he should've nailed 2 easy as set shots, especially the one after Naughts repeat efforts to get the ball to him.

2. Martin. This is a bit harsh but he should be able to get his hand on the ball in the ruck more than 9 times. Goldy is a good ruckman but surely Martin should be getting more hitouts than 9 with his experience. He gave away a few frees as well. However his effort cannot be questioned.

3. Bruce missing from the goal square. He could've had 11! :)

bulldogtragic
03-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Non individual:

B

No getting beat up by faux north tough guys.
Ruthlessness. Percentage matters.
All Round game. Talls marking and huge pressure, mids rotating centre dominance as well as goal kicking. Defenders attacking and generating turnover.

A

Slow start. If not for the arc then who knows.
Posters. 4 or 5. Could’ve been a 150+ margin if not for the pesky posts.
33 years between bags of 10 goals. Let’s not wait that long again.

Edit: Bruce told Gary Lyon he wouldn’t celebrate the 10 goal haul as he’s 93 days sober. He wants to get at least into 100+ days before a drink. One, I like the message to young men generally. Two, I love the burn he has him from must have been a so-so year. Three, the harder you work (club sessions, his own personal trainer and cutting out the alcohol) the luckier you get.