PDA

View Full Version : From villain to hero - who is next?

Go_Dogs
03-04-2021, 12:06 PM
Well Josh Bruce has been transformed and Ryan Gardner too.

Who is our next villain to transform to hero?

comrade
03-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Well Josh Bruce has been transformed and Ryan Gardner too.

Who is our next villain to transform to hero?

Gia.

Bumper Bulldogs
03-04-2021, 12:11 PM
Cal Ward. I would love him to come back

Go_Dogs
03-04-2021, 12:16 PM
Gia.

Like it. How will Gia achieve this?

Go_Dogs
03-04-2021, 12:17 PM
Cal Ward. I would love him to come back

Would struggle to get a game for us now.

Trade worked out pretty well for us in the end. I’ve moved on. But like the sentiment.

comrade
03-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Like it. How will Gia achieve this?

Needs to stop being so soft...

Just kidding, I love Gia but he was a whipping boy.

On a serious note, Bailey Dale is one that is turning the corner.

Schache needs to find a role and will struggle with Bruce and Naughton starting to gel. I think he still has value to offer but not sure we're going to be the ones to utilise it - I really think he should be trialled in defence at VFL to see if he has something.

G-Mo77
03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Needs to stop being so soft...

Just kidding, I love Gia but he was a whipping boy.

On a serious note, Bailey Dale is one that is turning the corner.

Schache needs to find a role and will struggle with Bruce and Naughton starting to gel. I think he still has value to offer but not sure we're going to be the ones to utilise it - I really think he should be trialled in defence at VFL to see if he has something.

Only way Schache comes in is due to injury or develops into a KPD. I still think Gardner is replaceable and while he is now servicable within we need to develop someone else for his role. I'm doubtful Schache would do better though?

Go_Dogs
05-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Schache is an interesting one.

Watching Liam Jones continue to do well as a key defender makes it quite compelling. I wonder if we can manufacture VFL time in a defensive role for Josh, now that Young has to be a reasonable chance at promotion.

Also agree on Dale - not sure he’s ever been a villain, but he’s well on his way to not being a whipping boy.

AshMac
05-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Great suggestion. He is nowhere near a senior game as a forward and its take something catastrophic to change that - like season ending injuries (plural).

There is nothing to lose trying him as a defender - worked for Jones and Moore.

He is such a great kick for goal though....

AshMac
05-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Also - don’t think this is quite the same but Dunkley is working his way firmly back into my heart.

Different context of course but damn he is an impressive young man!

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Not sure Dunkley should be in your heart he might break it next year.
I agree we have little to lose trying Schache down back.
Athletic got everything physical and shoul enjoy having the ball between him and the goal.

Hotdog60
05-04-2021, 01:39 PM
With two rucks and the bromance between Dunks and Treloar he might decide lifes pretty good at the Dogs

comrade
05-04-2021, 02:11 PM
With two rucks and the bromance between Dunks and Treloar he might decide lifes pretty good at the Dogs

Ironic that Kyle Langford did quite a bit of rucking on the weekend as Essendon's ruck stocks are very thin at the moment.

hujsh
05-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Ironic that Kyle Langford did quite a bit of rucking on the weekend as Essendon's ruck stocks are very thin at the moment.

It's pretty hilarious to imagine Dunkley having to ruck at Essendon if he left. Glad he stayed

bornadog
05-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Talking about ruckman, can Sweet be converted to a FB to play on the gorilla forwards? He is 203cm, and is unlikely to play ruck this year. I don't know if he is mobile enough or has any idea how to play the role? Just a left field suggestion.

comrade
05-04-2021, 02:52 PM
It's pretty hilarious to imagine Dunkley having to ruck at Essendon if he left. Glad he stayed

Imagine that conversation if he did leave...

"Um Josh, you know how you really hate rucking...well, we have to tell you something. I think you should take a seat..."

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 03:02 PM
I don't rate Gardner. Oscar Allen was all over him a few weeks ago he's just not strong enough, or good enough for AFL level. I see him more as a stop gap. Lewy Young has to come in now and show us what he's got. He's got a 6-8 week window to make an impression and keep Gardner out.

Hotdog60
05-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Talking about ruckman, can Sweet be converted to a FB to play on the gorilla forwards? He is 203cm, and is unlikely to play ruck this year. I don't know if he is mobile enough or has any idea how to play the role? Just a left field suggestion.

This idea crossed my mind when we lost Gardner. I think mobility might be the problem as he could be in the Will Minson mold hence why he hasn't gotten a game yet although I quite liked Minno.

bornadog
05-04-2021, 03:08 PM
This idea crossed my mind when we lost Gardner. I think mobility might be the problem as he could be in the Will Minson mold hence why he hasn't gotten a game yet although I quite liked Minno.

I haven't seen him since a VFL game in 2019, so I do worry about his mobility?

The bulldog tragician
05-04-2021, 06:34 PM
Mick Malthouse after our match was speaking about Schache on the backline and very much in favour of him being trialled there.

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 09:00 PM
I haven't seen him since a VFL game in 2019, so I do worry about his mobility?

Mobility would be an issue. All the 200cm forwards these days are super-agile. Daniher and Hipwood especially so.

comrade
05-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Mobility would be an issue. All the 200cm forwards these days are super-agile. Daniher and Hipwood especially so.

Sweet would get eaten alive by the likes of Daniher, King bros etc.

He's developing fine as a big bodied ruck and with Martin only having a season or 2 left in him, he should be primed to take the next step just as Stef finishes up.

1eyedog
05-04-2021, 09:55 PM
Sweet would get eaten alive by the likes of Daniher, King bros etc.

He's developing fine as a big bodied ruck and with Martin only having a season or 2 left in him, he should be primed to take the next step just as Stef finishes up.

It wouldn't be pretty.

I'm open to the Schache back experiment. He has useful attributes that could work.

Vred
06-04-2021, 12:00 AM
It wouldn't be pretty.

I'm open to the Schache back experiment. He has useful attributes that could work.

I just don't see how Schache fits us long term, I'd rather trade him and go for a proper backman instead of trying stop-gaps.

ratsmac
06-04-2021, 01:31 AM
Operation shack back!

I would never had had Bailey Dale as a defender either but so far so good. You'll never know unless you try it I suppose. It might be the making of him

1eyedog
06-04-2021, 08:36 AM
I just don't see how Schache fits us long term, I'd rather trade him and go for a proper backman instead of trying stop-gaps.

If Gardner is out for 8 weeks and Young really is shit Schache back may happen sooner than you think!

dog town
06-04-2021, 08:52 AM
I have always thought Schache would lack the closing speed to play back but so many players find a way to make playing back work for them that I’m hesitant to write it off.

There is a couple of things working for him.

1- our guys don’t defend back shoulder very often so he only needs to control the space in front of him and adjust positioning. Simplifying things considerably but that does make things easier.
2- you have more margin for error as a defender in some ways. You are not trying to create separation and the errors up field can favour you.

It is clear Schache is working hard and looks like he just needs an opportunity. While I don’t see any obvious reasons he would make it as a defender I think he deserves a crack at some point if he can’t push into the side.

comrade
06-04-2021, 09:23 AM
Good overhead and elite kicking skills takes you a long way as a key defender. Schache has both traits.

Happy Days
06-04-2021, 09:38 AM
I’m really doubtful he’s physically strong enough to play as much one on one defence as the current rules demand, but really what’s the worst that can come of trying it? Not like he’s close to a game as it sits right now.

comrade
06-04-2021, 09:46 AM
I’m really doubtful he’s physically strong enough to play as much one on one defence as the current rules demand, but really what’s the worst that can come of trying it? Not like he’s close to a game as it sits right now.

I'd give him 2-4 weeks at the start of the VFL season proper to see if it can work - we're desperate for some more defensive cover and he doesn't have a shot at senior selection unless injuries strike so it's a no lose experiment.

It will expose Marra a little bit as the lone key forward but I also don't mind the idea of him having the 50 to himself.

Go_Dogs
06-04-2021, 09:57 AM
I'd give him 2-4 weeks at the start of the VFL season proper to see if it can work - we're desperate for some more defensive cover and he doesn't have a shot at senior selection unless injuries strike so it's a no lose experiment.

It will expose Marra a little bit as the lone key forward but I also don't mind the idea of him having the 50 to himself.

Like that narrative. Marra’s forward line and Schache the general down back.

bornadog
06-04-2021, 09:59 AM

I have nothing against this, we are not flush with big men in the backline. I have said it for years that Cordy isnot a KPP even though we try and play him as one. He just doesn't have the height, or the leap and other than him there is no one unless Young comes good..

comrade
06-04-2021, 10:02 AM
I have nothing against this, we are not flush with big men in the backline. I have said it for years that Cordy isnot a KPP even though we try and play him as one. He just doesn't have the height, or the leap and other than him there is no one unless Young comes good..

Especially with Gardner out and (most likely) Young getting the promotion. Cordy one out as the only key defender down there would really expose him, even at VFL level.

Will the club try it though?

bornadog
06-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Especially with Gardner out and (most likely) Young getting the promotion. Cordy one out as the only key defender down there would really expose him, even at VFL level.

Will the club try it though?

I remember Schache saying he has never played as a backman, even as a junior. He has played ruck, and forward, so he would need an accelerated lesson - as you say 4 to 6 in the VFL and see how it goes. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

comrade
06-04-2021, 10:09 AM
I remember Schache saying he has never played as a backman, even as a junior. He has played ruck, and forward, so he would need an accelerated lesson - as you say 4 to 6 in the VFL and see how it goes. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Yep, and what's having your own VFL side for if not to trial some different things that may benefit the senior team long term.

soupman
06-04-2021, 10:42 AM
Schache down back is absolutely worth a try.

He is 5th in line for key forwards, and I really think that unless you are supremely talented then you need a natural intensity to be a decent key forward and Schache does not have that. Even though he has played well there in the past I just don't see him making it as an AFL forward, so we need to change up his career before its over.

He is a great size, an excellent ball user and mobile. He lacks strong aerial ability, and is not strong in the contest. The former I am not too worried about, Gardner is our best option at the moment and he spoils every time, the second isn't great but again Gardner is just ok in that regard, Young is underwhelming and Cordy is a shocking one on one defender so nothing lost. The extra space afforded to him as the defensive player may be all Schache needs to have a consistent impact, he has a lot of talent.

I see no downside to trying it, I mean Liam Jones is a pretty good key defender and who would have seen that coming in his time with us?

DOG GOD
06-04-2021, 10:45 AM
If Schache isn’t tried down back, then his time at the Dogs is simply up. The club has nothing to lose, and he has nothing to lose, except to embrace it.

The Pie Man
06-04-2021, 11:06 AM
If Schache isn’t tried down back, then his time at the Dogs is simply up. The club has nothing to lose, and he has nothing to lose, except to embrace it.

It’s a shame we haven’t trialled this in the pre season given thus weeks left footed athletic match ups.

If it has to be sold to him (if they even consider it) it’s revive your senior career or ...

Grantysghost
06-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Does Schache have the closing speed if he gives the opposition too much leg rope?

EasternWest
06-04-2021, 11:47 AM
This is an interesting conversation but it overlooks the key issue: Beveridge doesn't rate Schache at all and he's finished in our colours.

soupman
06-04-2021, 12:09 PM
This is an interesting conversation but it overlooks the key issue: Beveridge doesn't rate Schache at all and he's finished in our colours.

That may well be the case but he isn't out of contract till the end of next year. I know we love signing players up and then never using them but that's something.

bornadog
06-04-2021, 12:10 PM

Assumption only

EasternWest
06-04-2021, 01:34 PM
Assumption only

Never change, BAD. Never change.

Doc26
06-04-2021, 03:35 PM

I like the suggestion a lot.

GVGjr
06-04-2021, 07:15 PM
It’s a shame we haven’t trialled this in the pre season given thus weeks left footed athletic match ups.

If it has to be sold to him (if they even consider it) it’s revive your senior career or ...

The fact that we haven't really tried him as a defender is fair indicator that we feel his value back there is limited.
We like our defenders to have a bit of speed and I think Schache lacks that but his skill level particularly his kicking skills could be invaluable as could really help with our transition out of the back half.

josie
06-04-2021, 08:31 PM
From what I saw on weekend praccy match Schache was given licence to roam a bit. I thought he did OK incl. a few nice intercept marks. Really hope he makes it as he has some lovely skills & is well balanced.

The Doctor
06-04-2021, 08:36 PM
What about sending Jamarra to CHB?

Twodogs
06-04-2021, 09:49 PM
The fact that we haven't really tried him as a defender is fair indicator that we feel his value back there is limited.
We like our defenders to have a bit of speed and I think Schache lacks that but his skill level particularly his kicking skills could be invaluable as could really help with our transition out of the back half.

I think it's worth a go because his footy IQ is pretty high and he has the habit of getting where the ball is. Schache might not run 100 metres in 10 seconds but he reads the ball off the foot nicely from 50-60 metres and can get to the drop of it before most other players.

GVGjr
06-04-2021, 09:51 PM

It's always a good learning curve for players. I think it's one of the reasons why Naughton has become a good forward.

Rocket Science
06-04-2021, 11:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Km6HP1pC4&ab_channel=SaqibintheMorning

Bulldog4life
08-04-2021, 11:15 AM
Is Schache aggressive enough to b a key back? He would have to change this part of his game considerably.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Is Schache aggressive enough to b a key back? He would have to change this part of his game considerably.

I'm not sure he's agile enough and he isn't great below his knees.

Might be worth a try at some point though, as it's hard to see him playing forward in the seniors unless we have injuries.

Mofra
08-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Are we missing Bailey Dale's numbers?

Leading us for intercept possessions and showing that instead of being 'just a rebounder' he can actually defend.
I'll put my hand up and say I didn't expect it from him but right now he's forcing us to keep playing him due to performance

Grantysghost
08-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Are we missing Bailey Dale's numbers?

Leading us for intercept possessions and showing that instead of being 'just a rebounder' he can actually defend.
I'll put my hand up and say I didn't expect it from him but right now he's forcing us to keep playing him due to performance

I think he's currently ranked #1 general defender.

https://i.postimg.cc/6q63xZ2h/Screenshot-20210408-112951-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Mofra
08-04-2021, 01:35 PM
I think he's currently ranked #1 general defender.

https://i.postimg.cc/6q63xZ2h/Screenshot-20210408-112951-Twitter.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
In what universe is Jayden Hunt a key defender? He's 186cm and playing behind May and Lever.

Grantysghost
08-04-2021, 02:17 PM
In what universe is Jayden Hunt a key defender? He's 186cm and playing behind May and Lever.

I often shake my head at some the Champion Data stuff. Must be certain criteria he meets to match that classification.

Before I Die
08-04-2021, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure he's agile enough and he isn't great below his knees.

Might be worth a try at some point though, as it's hard to see him playing forward in the seniors unless we have injuries.

I don't think Liam Jones or Jordan Roughead ticked either of those boxes prior to moving back, but they would be automatic ins for us at the moment.

Mofra
08-04-2021, 05:30 PM
I don't think Liam Jones or Jordan Roughead ticked either of those boxes prior to moving back, but they would be automatic ins for us at the moment.
Both would cover Schache for speed and agility, especially "explosive animal" Jones.
Roughy has always been an elite contested mark.

Schache's go to is running workrate and ability to find space, I don't think defence plays to those strengths.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2021, 05:31 PM

Different skill sets though, Roughy had early success as a KPD who could play on certain power forwards (which Schache can't) and Jones was always a pretty quick and gifted athlete if nothing else.

Schache's strengths are his ability to hit up at the ball carrier, his skills and his endurance but only two of those would carry over to being a defender.

His lateral movement is pretty average which would concern me, not sure who/what type of player he could match up on? Hawkins/Lynch/Kennedy etc are too big and strong whilst Daniher/Hipwood/Cameron etc would be too quick/agile.

I like Josh and hope he gets a chance somewhere because on talent alone he really should be a regular AFL player somewhere.

comrade
08-04-2021, 05:36 PM
The truth is we'll never know how his attributes will translate to defence unless he's given an opportunity to play there. I don't think we'll try it, at least not until Marra's conditioning is up to standard. Once Marra is right to go though, Shache needs to shake things up or else we may has well just trade him to a team that will utilise him better.

The Pie Man
08-04-2021, 05:37 PM

Jones would be, Roughy still doesn’t suit the profile Bevo would value