PDA

View Full Version : Our Defensive System is working

bornadog
11-04-2021, 04:08 PM
After four rounds we have conceded the least amount of scores (but, kicked the second highest scores).

Does this mean our defensive system is coming together and we are starting to coordinate alot better.

Keath has played really well this year, Williams is turning into a star at HBF, Duryea seems to control the back 6, Wood has been very good in his few games back, Caleb (except yesterday) has been his usual busy self.

We need Ypoung to continue his form from yesterday, and we will be tough to score against.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2021, 04:16 PM
I would see Keath as vital as he seems the man in charge.

Duryea makes smart decisions and Williams seems to have lifted a level, but the addition of Bailey Dale has also been important.

Lewis Young played very well against Brisbane, bit his ball use is a worry. Hopefully he now gets a chance to settle in the role and really demand his position.

bornadog
11-04-2021, 04:19 PM

Duryea makes smart decisions and Williams seems to have lifted a level, but the addition of Bailey Dale has also been important.

Lewis Young played very well against Brisbane, bit his ball use is a worry. Hopefully he now gets a chance to settle in the role and really demand his position.

Agree, Dale has been fantastic down there and I think he has found his niche. I had him in my votes.

I never liked him in the forward line because he was too inconsistent and went missing for large parts of the game, but in defense he has been good

comrade
11-04-2021, 04:29 PM

One of Duryea, Daniel, Williams or Dale needs to be a handball outlet whenever Young takes a mark.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 04:32 PM
When fit, who does Crozier replace in the back 6? Great addition to add in soon.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2021, 04:36 PM
When fit, who does Crozier replace in the back 6? Great addition to add in soon.

Good problem to have. Maybe he is not an automatic inclusion.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Good problem to have. Maybe he is not an automatic inclusion.

Granted I haven’t seen Croz for a while but he’s best 22 isn’t he? Could we move him forward line as Freo did for his last two seasons, or keep him back and move Daniel up the ground. Or is it Duryea, Wood & Croz fighting for two spots?

bornadog
11-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Granted I haven’t seen Croz for a while but he’s best 22 isn’t he? Could we move him forward line as Freo did for his last two seasons, or keep him back and move Daniel up the ground. Or is it Duryea, Wood & Croz fighting for two spots?

Could be 7th defensive player through inter change

bulldogtragic
11-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Could be 7th defensive player through inter change

Looking at Scott’s heat map from yesterday, I’m assuming he’s the one out from yesterday for Croz. Would make us even better instantly.

Before I Die
11-04-2021, 05:32 PM
One of Duryea, Daniel, Williams or Dale needs to be a handball outlet whenever Young takes a mark.

The “Stand Rule” makes this a safe and always available option these days.

AshMac
11-04-2021, 07:03 PM

Like the idea of Daniel further up the ground. Williams has become our go to - the get out of jail handball/kick that Daniel was the last 2 years. For me Croz needs to play back, he was an ineffective forward for freo for the most part and really earned his stripes as a defender. See him and Wood as the same type of player though - not sure we need both.

comrade
11-04-2021, 07:08 PM
Like the idea of Daniel further up the ground. Williams has become our go to - the get out of jail handball/kick that Daniel was the last 2 years. For me Croz needs to play back, he was an ineffective forward for freo for the most part and really earned his stripes as a defender. See him and Wood as the same type of player though - not sure we need both.

Wood is better on small forwards these days, where as Croz is suited to those medium types that jump and mark (Fritsch at Melbourne as an example).

G-Mo77
11-04-2021, 07:17 PM
We've improved defensively all over the ground while our back 6 is playing a hell of a lot better further up the ground opposition mids are struggling to get free like they have in the past. Martin does help there as well but we look more determined defensively in there. That big defender still needs to be found and we took a step in the right direction with Young yesterday. Fingers crossed he continues his form.

The Doctor
12-04-2021, 08:59 AM
I thought our defence won us the game vs Brisbane. They were outstanding as a collective unit in the first half repelling everything the Lions threw at them. Then held steady in the 2nd half when the Lions tried desperately to get back into the game. I didn't feel we were threatened at all. It was a very accomplished performance against a quality side.

Crozier coming back in the next few weeks should only make it stronger.

dog town
12-04-2021, 09:14 AM
I think the fact that we defend the space in front of us rather than back shoulder hasn’t exposed us to hit ups like other clubs. We have pulled back slightly on how high we defended but kept the basic principle of playing 5-10 metres in front rather than goal side. Working well so far but I expect everything to continue evolving under the new rules.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-04-2021, 10:13 AM
We've improved defensively all over the ground while our back 6 is playing a hell of a lot better further up the ground opposition mids are struggling to get free like they have in the past. Martin does help there as well but we look more determined defensively in there. That big defender still needs to be found and we took a step in the right direction with Young yesterday. Fingers crossed he continues his form.

Yeah I think a lot of our defensive success is down to our mids being a lot more accountable. That's not to take anything away from the defensive group though. They've been superb. I just feel we are that 1 tall light as well. If Keath goes down I think we'll be in a spot of bother.

Mofra
12-04-2021, 10:15 AM
Let's be honest - the North game has skewed the stats.
Our system is great and like a few I've been a huge Duryea fan but this year he's been excellent. Keath has been a spectacular success. The second KPD spot is still an issue so fingers crossed Lewie Young can nail it down as he has a high ceiling.

Happy Days
12-04-2021, 11:13 AM
I’d expect Crozier to play a more intercept heavy role when he gets back. If he’s gonna fly at every damn ball that comes into D50 we might as well get something out of it.

As an aside, after the demo job he did on Daniher would anyone really argue with Al being YOUR All Australian CHB?

The Doctor
12-04-2021, 12:20 PM
Also a bit of credit to the forward line who are working much harder without the ball than in recent years. Naughton has been superb and even Bruce is getting in there. But a bit of acknowledgement to the 3 guys a lot of people would have dropped in Scott, McNeil & Vandermeer. Their speed & harassing have put opposition defenders under a lot more pressure than say guys like Wallis, Dale & other resting mids had been able to apply.

Cyberdoggie
12-04-2021, 12:24 PM

Probably JJ on current form. I just don't see anything like the form he had 5 years ago, gone is his want to take the game on, his attacking flair. I think ever since Daniel took over the kick in duties his stats have dropped and also his confidence in not being the main playmaker out of defence.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-04-2021, 12:48 PM
Also a bit of credit to the forward line who are working much harder without the ball than in recent years. Naughton has been superb and even Bruce is getting in there. But a bit of acknowledgement to the 3 guys a lot of people would have dropped in Scott, McNeil & Vandermeer. Their speed & harassing have put opposition defenders under a lot more pressure than say guys like Wallis, Dale & other resting mids had been able to apply.

Yeah I suspect these guys have pressure as their main priority. McNeil and Scott don’t need tone guys racking up possessions or hurting with the ball. I’m assuming they’re getting games because of the pressure they’re applying. All teams need players like that.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2021, 12:53 PM

It’s a good call out for Scott, McNeil and Laith. They’re doing a role, even if it doesn’t necessarily show up in the stats. The thing they all need to do is take their chances and execute their skills when the opportunity comes. And not give away frees / 50m penalties.

macca
12-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Great observation. The fact they have taken Wallis and Dale spots shows how much they have progressed . They are also keeping Cavarra, JOng and west out . We have some depth and good competition for spots this year. I would love to see Scott and McNeil improve their kicking and Nail those 2 missed shots a game into goals. It maybe just a slight 1% adjustment to their technique and it could make a big difference. Exciting times !

AshMac
12-04-2021, 01:11 PM
Great observation. They fact they have taken Wallis and Dale spots shows how much they have progressed . They are also keeping Cavarra, JOng and west out . We have some depth and good competition for spots this year. I would love to see Scott and McNeil improve their kicking and Nail those 2 missed shots a game into goals. It maybe just a slight 1% adjustment to their technique and it could make a big difference. Exciting times !

I guess the good news is they are getting those chances. Composure and kicking will improve with practice and experience. McNeil in particular seems to have an x factor potential with his speed and intercepts.

I’d love to know where Weightman is in the pecking order.

jeemak
12-04-2021, 03:28 PM
I think the fact that we defend the space in front of us rather than back shoulder hasn’t exposed us to hit ups like other clubs. We have pulled back slightly on how high we defended but kept the basic principle of playing 5-10 metres in front rather than goal side. Working well so far but I expect everything to continue evolving under the new rules.

And with that we need to acknowledge we'll occasionally give a few away over the back, because that's just how it is.

jeemak
12-04-2021, 03:32 PM
McNeil - 1.2 tackles a game
Vandermeer - 2.5 tackles a game
Scott - 1.5 tackles a game

I know there's more elements to pressure than just tackling, but how do the above numbers - particularly for Scott and McNeil - compare to other players playing similar roles?

Smads57
12-04-2021, 03:37 PM
I guess the good news is they are getting those chances. Composure and kicking will improve with practice and experience. McNeil in particular seems to have an x factor potential with his speed and intercepts.

I’d love to know where Weightman is in the pecking order.
Watching the VFL practice matches I’d say Weightman was just behind Cavarra and West as the small fwd option. The only problem is his better form is when he has been allowed time in the middle where he’s done well - possibly cleaner than West and even quite aggressive (but still shaded by West). If he was elevated it would only be as forward and I think this is where Cavarra has first dibs as he is cleaner with the ball than West and is a more natural crumbing fwd and it is where he actually plays in the twos.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Young
Quick (est on the list)
Pressures
Tackles hard
Contributes to the scoreboard

Jamarra is a tall ‘small pressure forward’... I’m happy to play him with this very specific role if pressure, 1.5 tackles, add to scoring options in the test. We’d arguable gain offensively and defensively.

Not nearly enough Jamarra talk going on.

jeemak
12-04-2021, 03:48 PM
When he kicks thirteen goals in round one of the VFL there will be.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2021, 03:52 PM
When he kicks thirteen goals in round one of the VFL there will be.

Why are we managing his time to only 50% game time?

bulldogsthru&thru
12-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Young
Quick (est on the list)
Pressures
Tackles hard
Contributes to the scoreboard

Jamarra is a tall ‘small pressure forward’... I’m happy to play him with this very specific role if pressure, 1.5 tackles, add to scoring options in the test. We’d arguable gain offensively and defensively.

Not nearly enough Jamarra talk going on.

I think the only thing holding him back at the moment is his tank. Nowhere near AFL ready apparently and for him to play those roles it needs to be a lot better. Understandable given he's 18 and didn't play any club football last year. You get the feeling that once he's good to go, he'll never see VFL again.