PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs St Kilda 2021

Scraggers
22-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 9 match against Port Adelaide for our Round 10, 2021 match against St Kilda at Marvel on Saturday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
15-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Bump.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 11:23 PM
In

English
Hunter

Out

Wood
Scott

I’d personally do Wallis for Hannan. But they appear to want to try to get fit, but one goal in the three games is sub par. Wallis should play but I don’t see it.

Croz can stay medical sub.

Lose one small for Hunter. Scott right now offers less than Roarke & McNail. English for Wood. We are still covered with Williams, Dale,
Daniel, Duryea, Cordy & Keath with Roarke & JJ more than able to rotate back. Croz as the sub covers any injury down there. Wallis is a little more depth and versatility. But I don’t see it happening.

Testekill
15-05-2021, 11:49 PM
In

Crozier
English
Hunter

Out

Wood
Hannan
Roarke Smith (does not deserve to be dropped mind you, just Hunter is obviously the preferred option. Give him the sub spot next week)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:31 AM
In

Crozier
English
Hunter

Out

Wood
Hannan
Roarke Smith (does not deserve to be dropped mind you, just Hunter is obviously the preferred option. Give him the sub spot next week)

I just don't want to lose against the Saints.
For some stupid reason, 2 of my closest friends are Saint's nuffies... and I just reflexively vomit when we lose to them, knowing what is going to come back my way, from said mates.
I think you're right selection wise, BUT Bevo went out of his way to point out how happy he was with Hannan's performance, noting specifically that fan's may not have picked up on the things he did that were important.
Bevo's comment about Big Chilli not being full of beans this week, also has me worried. I don't think he's going to pick him now he's out and we've done ok with out him, UNLESS he knocks the door down.
With Marshall out, unless Timmy is banging on the door, maybe he doesn't come in.

Axe Man
16-05-2021, 12:55 AM
Very difficult to drop anyone after tonight’s performance.

comrade
16-05-2021, 12:56 AM
For some stupid reason, 2 of my closest friends are Saint's nuffies... and I just reflexively vomit when we lose to them, knowing what is going to come back my way, from said mates.
I think you're right selection wise, BUT Bevo went out of his way to point out how happy he was with Hannan's performance, noting specifically that fan's may not have picked up on the things he did that were important.
Bevo's comment about Big Chilli not being full of beans this week, also has me worried. I don't think he's going to pick him now he's out and we've done ok with out him, UNLESS he knocks the door down.
With Marshall out, unless Timmy is banging on the door, maybe he doesn't come in.

I think you're reading the tea leaves well, but i'll be disappointed if Timmy misses again. Bruce has battled manfully as back up, but it does rob us of that second tall option which means defenders like Weitering and Aliir can intercept easier.

We need the 3 headed monster back asap.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 12:56 AM
Very difficult to drop anyone after tonight’s performance.

Hypothetically say Hunter & English are fit. Is that no changes, or difficult changes?

bulldogsthru&thru
16-05-2021, 01:03 AM

Same here. Seems all those around me are saints fans for some reason and losing to them often doesn’t ever sit well with me. I hope we hit the ground running from tonight and put them away early. Don’t want a repeat of our final last year. We’re a much better outfit than them and should show them that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 01:03 AM
Hypothetically say Hunter & English are fit. Is that no changes, or difficult changes?
It's an awesome outcome. Selection pressure after 9 rounds can only be a good problem to have.

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2021, 01:05 AM
I am expecting Caleb to miss due to MRO. The Port player clearly had his head hit the ground from a tackle in qtr 2. We never escape those even though the umpired missed this one.

So we have 2 definite outs in Wood and Daniel and both from the backline.

We also need more tall timber against St Kilda. That means Young or Gardner need to be brought in. Crozier gets the other backline spot, but I am not convince about Hayden as he flies too often and leaves us exposed at round level.

Expect Hunter to come in and Lipinski is most under the pump.

If English gets up it should be Hannan that makes way

divvydan
16-05-2021, 01:17 AM
Bevo went out of his way to praise Hannan in the post game press conference so would be very surprised to see him dropped.

comrade
16-05-2021, 01:20 AM
Bevo went out of his way to praise Hannan in the post game press conference so would be very surprised to see him dropped.

He either has really good intuition for how fans see/interpret a Bulldogs performance OR he's reading the forums during the game :D

Which one of you is Bevo?

jazzadogs
16-05-2021, 01:21 AM

I'm not sure if Hannan can play in the same forward line as Bruce, Naughton and English. I am sure that he has plenty of good qualities which he hasn't been able to show because he's not fit...so let's drop him back to the 2s and get fit!

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 01:26 AM
It's an awesome outcome. Selection pressure after 9 rounds can only be a good problem to have.

It’s only going to get harder. Sentiment for any player or a victory as grounds for selection decisions is going to be really hard post bye when hopefully without any more injuries we are opening up Martin, English, Hunter, Richards, VDM, Wood, Gardner, McLean plus Dunkley later on and hopefully Young, Schache, Jamarra and others forcing their up. If we stay fit, there’s going to be very unlucky players but a lot of Footscray victories.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 01:29 AM
I am expecting Caleb to miss due to MRO. The Port player clearly had his head hit the ground from a tackle in qtr 2. We never escape those even though the umpired missed this one.

So we have 2 definite outs in Wood and Daniel and both from the backline.

We also need more tall timber against St Kilda. That means Young or Gardner need to be brought in. Crozier gets the other backline spot, but I am not convince about Hayden as he flies too often and leaves us exposed at round level.

Expect Hunter to come in and Lipinski is most under the pump.

If English gets up it should be Hannan that makes way

I actually thought after a couple of iffy efforts (of which I was very critical in the game day thread) as he was warming into the game Crozier was pretty good. He stays which is logical anyway given Wood is out.

Hunter comes in for Smith, with the latter being a bit unlucky. I think we go with English for Sweet because of how Tim impacts around the ground and essentially keep the same set up in support of that. Right or wrong, I just think that's how the MC will go.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 01:33 AM
I think you're reading the tea leaves well, but i'll be disappointed if Timmy misses again. Bruce has battled manfully as back up, but it does rob us of that second tall option which means defenders like Weitering and Aliir can intercept easier.

We need the 3 headed monster back asap.

100%.
Bevo says we want the 'full of beans' Timmy. I hope we see that Timmy on the track this week. If so, the MC is going to possibly have the hardest discussion in a long while.

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 01:35 AM

Seriously?

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 01:41 AM
I actually thought after a couple of iffy efforts (of which I was very critical in the game day thread) as he was warming into the game Crozier was pretty good. He stays which is logical anyway given Wood is out.

Hunter comes in for Smith, with the latter being a bit unlucky. I think we go with English for Sweet because of how Tim impacts around the ground and essentially keep the same set up in support of that. Right or wrong, I just think that's how the MC will go.

I'd be surprised if Sweet was dropped this week. He was very good and coming back from a bad concussion I do not envisage English playing long ruck minutes. Plus, Sweet was pretty good. Very good actually.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 01:43 AM
Delete.

comrade
16-05-2021, 01:45 AM
I'd be surprised if Sweet was dropped this week. He was very good and coming back from a bad concussion I do not envisage English playing long ruck minutes. Plus, Sweet was pretty good. Very good actually.

I'm more convinced than ever that a genuine #1 ruck and a good forward/2nd ruck is critical to our chances. Timmy is not a genuine #1 ruck but is a damn good forward/2nd ruck.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 01:45 AM

English has been out for two weeks. So get ready for a surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_oTh6qXFs

Vred
16-05-2021, 04:42 AM

Agreed.
English comes in as a forward and second ruck, he does not replace Sweet, Martin replaces Sweet when his ready.
If English is fit, he comes into the forward line and we see the English / Sweet combo for the first time.

Go_Dogs
16-05-2021, 10:04 AM
In:
English, Hunter as definite and Crozier maybe

Out:
Wood (inj), Lipinski as definite and Scott (managed) maybe

Scott to just have a refresh and come back in is what I’m thinking. No idea if he needs it, but a bit quieter last night.
Lipinski a victim of Hunter returning. Roarke stays in with his versatility - can play roles all over. Probably the player who goes out when Scott comes back in.

DOG GOD
16-05-2021, 10:17 AM
I think Timmy might miss again, so

In- Crozier, Hunter
Out- wood, Roarke

Roarke to be sub.

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 10:41 AM
If Tim misses again it's getting very worrying.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 10:48 AM
I am expecting Caleb to miss due to MRO.

Surely not.

comrade
16-05-2021, 10:51 AM
If Tim misses again it's getting very worrying.

He's completing training, which is a good sign. Hoping he's not far off.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 10:54 AM
In: English, Hunter

Out: Lipinski, Wood

Crozier misses.

comrade
16-05-2021, 10:54 AM

Crozier missus.

What about her? :D

bornadog
16-05-2021, 10:55 AM
What about her? :D

Whoops

bulldogsthru&thru
16-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Surely not.

Would be absolute BS if he got rubbed out for a tackle.

MrMahatma
16-05-2021, 11:49 AM
In: Hunter and English
Out: R Smith and Wood

Hanan moves to medical sub, Crozier starts.

azabob
16-05-2021, 12:37 PM

Crozier misses.

If English plays I think it has to be at the expense of Hannan.

Jam Donuts
16-05-2021, 01:30 PM

Praise him for what? He is the weakest link, you cant keep piggybacking off your teammates who are putting in and getting results, and making you look good overall, he has had a good run he just doesn't look like he belongs out there.

soupman
16-05-2021, 01:34 PM
No way can Hannan stay once English is back. We have 6 forwards as is (Naughton, Bruce, Scott, McNeill, JJ and Weightman), all of whom have been performing their role really well (or at least they did this week) and we haven't shown any intention to play any of them elsewhere apart from maybe 5 minutes on a wing. Hannan out.

Crozier replaces Wood, which helps our team balance instead of trying to cram all the mid size defenders in at once.

Hunter comes in for Roarke or Lipinski. Roarke had 15 pressure acts and 6 tackles, Lipinski 12 and 2 (Hannan had 11 and 2 fwiw). I think Lipinski goes out, he has been pretty poor these last couple of weeks. I was surprised he wasn't dropped this week tbh so maybe he's been told he gets a good run of games to prove himself after being yoyoed earlier but not sure how long the patience lasts.

So English, Crozier and Hunter in, Lipinski, Wood and Hannan out. I think we are really keen for Hannan to be involved still though so he is the medical sub, especially if the VFL game is after the AFL one so he definitely gets a run either way.

mjp
16-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Which one of you is Bevo?

I'm Spartacus.

Rocco Jones
16-05-2021, 02:15 PM
In: Hunter, English, Crozier
Out: Scott, Lipsinki, Wood

Either Scott or Hannan and it seems pressure acts is huge, Hannan had him for the night.

The worst side for Lio to fit into. I’d have him as med sub.

EasternWest
16-05-2021, 04:00 PM
I'm Spartacus.

I'm Kirk Douglas' son.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 05:24 PM
I'm Kirk Douglas' son.

who? :D

divvydan
16-05-2021, 09:02 PM
No MRO issue for Caleb Daniel or any other Bulldog this week. Only thing to come out of our game was a $2k fine to Jonas for his tackle on Naughton.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Ok let’s dare to dream for a minute.

With Wood out let’s push JJ’s back and unleash JUH. I recon he would be a hand full for the saints

Topdog
17-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Ok let’s dare to dream for a minute.

With Wood out let’s push JJ’s back and unleash JUH. I recon he would be a hand full for the saints

With no vfl game and him recovering from concussion that is certainly not going to happen

Ozza
17-05-2021, 10:22 AM
English to come in for Hannan.

Hunter to come in for Lipinski

Crozier replaces Wood.

McNeil the sub.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 10:24 AM
English to come in for Hannan.

Hunter to come in for Lipinski

Crozier replaces Wood.

McNeil the sub.

You have 4 out but only three in?

Mofra
17-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Praise him for what? He is the weakest link, you cant keep piggybacking off your teammates who are putting in and getting results, and making you look good overall, he has had a good run he just doesn't look like he belongs out there.
What do you think his role in the team is? He's assessed against his role, not the stats sheet.

Weightman had a wonderful VFL game a week earlier... the stats sheet said 9 disposals.

McNeill sacrifices his entire game to block, harrass, chase, run to block the easy 45 into the corridor (you don't really see it on TV), he's stayign int he team too.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 11:01 AM
What do you think his role in the team is? He's assessed against his role, not the stats sheet.

Weightman had a wonderful VFL game a week earlier... the stats sheet said 9 disposals.

McNeill sacrifices his entire game to block, harrass, chase, run to block the easy 45 into the corridor (you don't really see it on TV), he's stayign int he team too.

Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player. In this instance if Hannan gets dropped it opens up the Ugle-Hagan debut discussion and I don't think Bevo wants to have that conversation yet.

Topdog
17-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player.

Look it was but that was clearly BS as the big problem for Bruce was that he was dropping everything and not making a contest.

Hannan is playing pretty poorly in my opinion but his pressure stats are good. He is nearly there, had a few opportunities where in the VFL he gets a shot off but in the AFL he gets tackled before the kick. Happy to persist with him for another week or 2.

Mofra
17-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Wasn't the same logic being applied to Bruce last year? I think sometimes this is an easy excuse for a coach to explain an under-performing player
Who would you have replaced Bruce with last year? English was playing ruck and Schache was injured.

The Pie Man
17-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Who would you have replaced Bruce with last year? English was playing ruck and Schache was injured.

I would’ve debuted Sweet at some point

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 12:01 PM

The horse has bolted but I've said before it didn't need to be a like for like replacement. Perhaps JT could have been given a chance or anyone who was showing more form than Bruce was. Cordy or Young up forward might have been worth a try.
I just never think it serves a club to play someone so out of form and I suspect we didn't want to manage the media pressure of dropping a high priced player.

Coaches are constantly defending players and at times the "He's doing what we ask of him" response maybe correct but I doubt that it's always correct. I know Hannan can play but he's looked a step or two off the pace of the game.
The likes McNeil and Scott might not get a lot of stats but they don't look to be off the pace of the game.

Mofra
17-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Coaches are constantly defending players and at times the "He's doing what we ask of him" response maybe correct but I doubt that it's always correct. I know Hannan can play but he's looked a step or two off the pace of the game.
The likes McNeil and Scott might not get a lot of stats but they don't look to be off the pace of the game.
IF (and I'm making an assumption) Hannan's role was to be the get out option, apply pressure and ensure our forwards weren't double or triple teamed then he did whats was asked of him. Naughton doesn't kick four goals in a vacuum.

However, if his role is predominantly that third floating tall marking option to split the defenders... English takes his spot regardless of Hannan performance because Chilli is more dangerous in the air and takes the second ruck rotation.

I want to see Sweet and English play together as that is a viable long term partnership for us.

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 12:38 PM
IF (and I'm making an assumption) Hannan's role was to be the get out option, apply pressure and ensure our forwards weren't double or triple teamed then he did whats was asked of him. Naughton doesn't kick four goals in a vacuum.

However, if his role is predominantly that third floating tall marking option to split the defenders... English takes his spot regardless of Hannan performance because Chilli is more dangerous in the air and takes the second ruck rotation.

I want to see Sweet and English play together as that is a viable long term partnership for us.

Interesting discussion, it's probably one of those scenarios where there is truth to both opinions. Of course the coaches use a different set of metrics to determine a players contribution, but I've got no doubt they'd also want more contribution in other areas.

I'm kind of torn, I definitely want English back in the side but I love the defensive net we can deploy in the forward line with the balance we have with the two talls and McNeil, Scott, Hannan, JJ or whoever is doing those jobs. I thought it was as good as I've seen our forward pressure.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 12:54 PM

One thing I noticed with Hannan, he was also going up for the pack marks with Bruce and Naughton. I would prfer him to stay down and play a small forward role, even though he is 190cm

Rocco Jones
17-05-2021, 01:01 PM
One thing I noticed with Hannan, he was also going up for the pack marks with Bruce and Naughton. I would prfer him to stay down and play a small forward role, even though he is 190cm

I think having him and Weightman go up for the marks are what we want them to do (as in Bevo and MC). Weightman seemed to have these instructions when playing for Footscray.

Waiting for the crumb vs stopping opposition from taking intercept marks (which Port are great at).

1eyedog
17-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Hunter and English expected ins against the Saints.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616166/big-dogs-back-for-saints-clash

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 01:11 PM

Gardner looks a likely Wood replacement too reading that.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 01:17 PM

Potentially 3 ins from a side that won nicely against a good side.
We can't deny we have depth

Axe Man
17-05-2021, 01:20 PM

With Marshall out do we need 3 tall defenders? We don't usually like to go with 3 and hard to drop Cordy after his game.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2021, 01:29 PM
With Marshall out do we need 3 tall defenders? We don't usually like to go with 3 and hard to drop Cordy after his game.

Bevo has said the same thing about talls of Blues and Port in last two weeks. That said, Wood out makes a difference.

I coming around (-ish) to Gardner but do not think he is at bring straight in level when Keath is going really well, Zaine improving and Young killed it last time in VFL.

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 01:32 PM

Can Cordy play in the Wood role, Gardner to his?

Mofra
Bevo has said the same thing about talls of Blues and Port in last two weeks. That said, Wood out makes a difference.

I coming around (-ish) to Gardner but do not think he is at bring straight in level when Keath is going really well, Zaine improving and Young killed it last time in VFL.
Gardner needs a week at VFL level first for me.
English for Hannan (harsh but similar role) and Lippi for Hunter seem logical changes.

comrade

We've really missed English. The Tigers result may well have been different if he played, keeping Balta occupied all night and providing a marking option down the line when the blow torch was being applied to our defenders.

It also means Bruce can stay inside 50 more, even though he's battled manfully as the back up ruckman.

Very happy to see the big Chilli back.

Grantysghost

Bevo loves our Ryza.

Rocco Jones
17-05-2021, 01:34 PM

I don't see any quotes from anyone at the club about Hunter and English, perhaps more of an assumption from the 'journalist'?

bornadog
17-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Gardner needs a week at VFL level first for me.
English for Hannan (harsh but similar role) and Lippi for Hunter seem logical changes.

Who replaces Wood?

1eyedog
17-05-2021, 01:48 PM
I don't see any quotes from anyone at the club about Hunter and English, perhaps more of an assumption from the 'journalist'?

True. Although Cal Twomey does say the 'club' is optimistic.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 01:48 PM

Yep, Cordy was in good form so it would be difficult to drop him
We've been saying our back line are undermanned so if Gardner is ready we can test if the three of them can gel together.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Who replaces Wood?

Perhaps Williams is really the replacement.

Williams, Keath, Cordy, Crozier, Gardner, Daniel, Dale and Duryea looks a decent balance to cover Wood

comrade
17-05-2021, 02:22 PM
Perhaps Williams is really the replacement.

Williams, Keath, Cordy, Crozier, Gardner, Daniel, Dale and Duryea looks a decent balance to cover Wood

I didn't think Cordy, Crozier and Wood all fit in the same backline, too similar in terms of size. All three struggle to bite off difficult kicks and slow down our ball movement at times.

Cordy could easily replace Wood, with Gardner taking over the key defender role. That leaves Crozier in limbo though.

Ozza
17-05-2021, 02:30 PM
You have 4 out but only three in?

Yep. Because Crozier was sub on the weekend - so we played 23. I think thats right....I may be wrong!

hujsh
17-05-2021, 02:39 PM
I didn't think Cordy, Crozier and Wood all fit in the same backline, too similar in terms of size. All three struggle to bite off difficult kicks and slow down our ball movement at times.

Cordy could easily replace Wood, with Gardner taking over the key defender role. That leaves Crozier in limbo though.

Is Cordy quick enough to play the role Wood has been playing?

comrade
17-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Is Cordy quick enough to play the role Wood has been playing?

Not sure, but I think he's better suited to that role than he is as the second key defender.

Axe Man
17-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Matchup wise this week Keath to King is obvious. Cordy is ok size wise for Membrey. It depends on who replaces Marshall though. They could bring in McKernan who has size and would be a suitable match for Gardner. Alternatively Cordy plays on McKernan and Williams/Crozier have to play undersized on Membrey.

hujsh
17-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Not sure, but I think he's better suited to that role than he is as the second key defender.

I think Wood has been playing more on the smalls that the third talls though. Perhaps it's a moot point because we can shuffle players around to get Cordy in that role with Williams or someone taking Woods responsibilities.

Do St.Kilda even have a third tall this week or is Cordy playing on Dan Butler?

Matchup wise this week Keath to King is obvious. Cordy is ok size wise for Membrey. It depends on who replaces Marshall though. They could bring in McKernan who has size and would be a suitable match for Gardner. Alternatively Cordy plays on McKernan and Williams/Crozier have to play undersized on Membrey.

Actually I think this about covers it. Good summary

Rocco Jones
17-05-2021, 03:01 PM
I’d rather try to exploit a player like McKernan rather than trying a tall to cover him.

Mofra
17-05-2021, 03:09 PM
I’d rather try to exploit a player like McKernan rather than trying a tall to cover him.
The "Gilbee to resting ruckman" rule

Bailey Williams, come on down

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 03:10 PM

McKernan played well for Sandringham. I think Geary will come in too.

Happy Days
17-05-2021, 03:11 PM
We actually tried this earlier this year against West Coast with Williams on Kennedy and got somewhat cooked by it.

Not that McKernan is a patch on Kennedy, but it does provide for pause.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 03:27 PM
Yep. Because Crozier was sub on the weekend - so we played 23. I think thats right....I may be wrong!

You had outs of the 22 as:

Hannan
Wood
Lipinski
McNeil

In
English
Hunter
Crozier

bornadog
17-05-2021, 03:35 PM

Membrey is only 188cm, but plays tall

Scraggers
17-05-2021, 03:48 PM

I think Crozier's role changed when he came in for Wood. He was more of a run-with back, than a run-off back. He had a definitive role as Wood's replacement, and therefore played a better game.

Ozza
17-05-2021, 04:53 PM
You had outs of the 22 as:

Hannan
Wood
Lipinski
McNeil

In
English
Hunter
Crozier

In that case....McNeil stays in!

bulldogsthru&thru
17-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Said it in the port game day thread, but I’m really looking forward to watching Cody play in front of a home crowd in Melbourne. He hasn’t had that chance yet, but you get the feeling with him that he lives for the big moments and thrives from the energy of a crowd.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-05-2021, 07:03 PM
Talk about spoil the party.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2021, 08:19 PM
How long is Easton expected out for?

bornadog
17-05-2021, 10:38 PM
How long is Easton expected out for?

4 to 6

FrediKanoute
17-05-2021, 11:04 PM
Out:

Wood
Hannan
R Smith - unlucky

In:

English
Crozier
Hunter

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Bevo mentioned this in his presser today:

A number of other players, Beveridge said, had pulled up sore from the win over Port Adelaide, with Patrick Lipinski (who had his thigh strapped), Mitch Hannan, Jordon Sweet, Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce among those on light duties on Tuesday.

I reckon it might mean we see Hunter come in for Lipinski and Smith stays in. English for Hannan might be likely too. Hopefully Sweet, Naughts and Bruce are good to go.

comrade
18-05-2021, 01:16 PM
Bevo mentioned this in his presser today:

A number of other players, Beveridge said, had pulled up sore from the win over Port Adelaide, with Patrick Lipinski (who had his thigh strapped), Mitch Hannan, Jordon Sweet, Aaron Naughton and Josh Bruce among those on light duties on Tuesday.

I reckon it might mean we see Hunter come in for Lipinski and Smith stays in. English for Hannan might be likely too. Hopefully Sweet, Naughts and Bruce are good to go.

Hunter for Lipinksi and English for Hannan would be my preferred outs anyway, even if injury wasn't an issue.

Insufficient Intent
18-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Got the impression from Chris Bell’s clip on Bulldogs site yesterday that Tim is still not a certainty.

Cyberdoggie
18-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Hunter for Lipinksi and English for Hannan would be my preferred outs anyway, even if injury wasn't an issue.

Bevo was talking up Hannan's game in the post game presser. Particularly what he was doing without the ball and that the stats didn't reflect his game.

I'm guessing one or two may be rested in preparation for the big top of the table clash the following friday night against the Dees.
Just hope we don't take the saints likely as they have had the better of us of late.

Murphy'sLore
18-05-2021, 04:11 PM
I am getting really worried about Tim. I hope it's not a replay of what happened to Liam Picken.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 04:12 PM
I am getting really worried about Tim. I hope it's not a replay of what happened to Liam Picken.

Yeah if he misses this week then it's a real concern. 4 weeks out with concussion is not a good sign.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 04:15 PM
Beveridge: We’re progressing well

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says despite having to deal with a number of forced changes to his side each week, he is pleased with how his group is progressing so far.

The Bulldogs currently sit in second spot on the ladder with an 8-1 record, most recently beating Port Adelaide by 19 points at Adelaide Oval.

That win however was soured by a hamstring injury to veteran defender Easton Wood early in the match.

Beveridge said while Hayden Crozier – who was activated as the medical sub on Saturday night – was the obvious replacement this weekend against St Kilda, the prospect of bringing in some additional height is appealing.

“’Croz’ and Easton play a similar role, and ‘Croz’ was the medical sub on the weekend so I think it’s logical that he takes up that spot,” Beveridge told media on Tuesday morning.

“It’s a good question as to whether or not ‘Gards’ (Ryan Gardner) comes back in, as the Saints have challenged us with their height historically – they’ve had a really good combination of that aerial advantage, small forwards and half-back flankers who have really challenged us.

“I was impressed with the way they started the Cats game without getting that reward on the scoreboard.

“We’ll be expecting that aspect of their intensity and vigour at the start of our game as well.”

After nine rounds, the Bulldogs have used the most players (36) this season, having lost some key performers to injury in recent weeks.

With Lachie Hunter (hand) and Tim English (concussion) still needing to prove their fitness throughout the week, Beveridge said he has been pleased with the group’s progress despite the number of changes each week.

“We saw Cody step up and play a terrific game on the weekend, and Zaine’s recently come back into the team among others. Roarke Smith also played a really important role for us the other night – we’re asking new and progressive things of our players,” Beveridge said.

“I think what we’re doing forward of the ball has been extremely encouraging this year, and it has given us peace of mind with the boys who have been playing really important roles.

“Obviously we’ve hit the scoreboard quite regularly, but at the same time we’ve had a really good balance in defence.

“I think the team is working well together and cohesively - I suppose if you do look back, we obviously dropped the Richmond game, we dropped that final (against St Kilda) and we dropped a Geelong game towards the end of last year, so we’ve put together a pretty good sequence from last year into this year.”

The Bulldogs will host St Kilda at Marvel Stadium this Saturday night in the annual Barker-Whitten Challenge.

comrade
18-05-2021, 04:21 PM

Picko could barely leave the house or handle sunlight so it’s nowhere near that level of severity, given Tim is training. I am concerned too, though.

Bulldog Joe
18-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Picko could barely leave the house or handle sunlight so it’s nowhere near that level of severity, given Tim is training. I am concerned too, though.

I actually think it is not overly concerning, just a prudent approach to a problem that the whole league was oblivious to until very recently.

There was some suggestion from a researcher that the recovery time should be more like a month than the new mandated 12 days.

If Tim had been kayoed like that in a boxing match he would have been stood down for something like 6 months.

Look after his recovery and get him back in good order is the right approach.

comrade
18-05-2021, 04:42 PM
I actually think it is not overly concerning, just a prudent approach to a problem that the whole league was oblivious to until very recently.

There was some suggestion from a researcher that the recovery time should be more like a month than the new mandated 12 days.

If Tim had been kayoed like that in a boxing match he would have been stood down for something like 6 months.

Look after his recovery and get him back in good order is the right approach.

Yeah, I am hoping that is the case. If it was the last few years, he quite likely would have been straight back in to the detriment of his form (like Bazlenka early in 2020).

Can’t wait to see him back and firing.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Will be interesting team selection this week. In the final last year we played all of Keath, Cordy and Gardner and it didn't go too well. Granted nothing went well as we were poor on the day but we need to make sure we curb the influence of King and Ryder. Marshall is a huge out for them as it hopefully means less time for Ryder in the forward line. Do we need 3 talls in defence this week?

bornadog
18-05-2021, 05:22 PM
Will be interesting team selection this week. In the final last year we played all of Keath, Cordy and Gardner and it didn't go too well. Granted nothing went well as we were poor on the day but we need to make sure we curb the influence of King and Ryder. Marshall is a huge out for them as it hopefully means less time for Ryder in the forward line. Do we need 3 talls in defence this week?

I don't know much about their line up. Who are the talls that could potentially be in their forward line? Membury is only 188cm, but can take a big grab.

Will they try and exploit Caleb again? Hopefully we are prepared this time.

comrade
18-05-2021, 05:23 PM

We played all of Keath, Cordy, Gardner, Wood and Crozier with Crozier being forced to spend time forward if I remember correctly. It just wasn't a well balanced side at all especially with Daniel being sat on.

We are much better positioned this time around, and that's not taking into account that Saints are missing Marshall (their most important player imo), Jones, Hanners and potentially Geary.

Long is also out so I wonder who will line up Macrae at the opening bounce?

bornadog
18-05-2021, 05:24 PM
We played all of Keath, Cordy, Gardner, Wood and Crozier with Crozier being forced to spend time forward if I remember correctly. It just wasn't a well balanced side at all especially with Daniel being sat on.

We are much better positioned this time around, and that's not taking into account that Saints are missing Marshall (their most important player imo), Jones, Hanners and potentially Geary.

Long is also out so I wonder who will line up Macrae at the opening bounce?

Long came on last week as a medical sub, so he is around, or do I miss something

Topdog
18-05-2021, 05:31 PM
I mean we tackled half heartedly and let them walk through us in the final last year. If we do that again it wont matter who is in defence.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 05:37 PM
I mean we tackled half heartedly and let them walk through us in the final last year. If we do that again it wont matter who is in defence.

It was a strange game, both teams had low tackle numbers. They had 32 and we had 41.

Saints had 87 to 62 against Geelong on the weekend. Our game on the weekend was 66 to Port 69

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 05:38 PM
I don't know much about their line up. Who are the talls that could potentially be in their forward line? Membury is only 188cm, but can take a big grab.

They may bring Carlisle in as a second ruck allowing Paddy to go forward. It's him King and Membrey.

Chilli is a big out it deprives us of a dangerous forward but also drags Jooce out of the F50 action and tires him out. He has stood up for us though.

comrade
18-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Long came on last week as a medical sub, so he is around, or do I miss something

He also played in the VFL game for Sandy and was suspended for striking. Absolute thug.

Rocco Jones
18-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Vibes I am getting off Bevo...

In: Crozier, Hunter, Lew Young
Out: Wood (injured), Hannan (managed), Lipsinki (managed)

Sub: Wally

Young to take over supporting in ruck from a sore Bruce and give us a taller option.

Wally as sub means kids don't go two weeks without footy.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Geary might be back to play that tagging role on Daniel. But with Williams back and now Dale playing well they will have others to worry about. Be interesting to see if Bevo plays Daniel forward again like against carlton.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Membrey is only 188cm but he marks it at a very high point. He almost hovers in midair to outmark taller opponents. We just need to make sure he’s never one out to take care of him. So that means excellent defending and pressure from our mids. As usual that will set the tone of the game. We bring the intensity we did against port and we’ll walk this one in.

FrediKanoute
18-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Vibes I am getting off Bevo...

In: Crozier, Hunter, Lew Young
Out: Wood (injured), Hannan (managed), Lipsinki (managed)

Sub: Wally

Young to take over supporting in ruck from a sore Bruce and give us a taller option.

Wally as sub means kids don't go two weeks without footy.

Has to be a concern with English if he is still not 100%. That will be 4 weeks, may need to put him on ice until after the bye.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2021, 12:13 AM

Agree. I share your worry. It was a sickening blow. Naughton is an explosive athlete and he got him flush in the jaw with a knee. I’m really worried.

AshMac
19-05-2021, 09:21 AM
Can anyone tell me why Crozier was left out of the 22 last week and then named the medical sub?

The team listing said “managed” but naming as a medical sub suggests comfort with them playing 4 quarters. I thought he was very good when he came on.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Can anyone tell me why Crozier was left out of the 22 last week and then named the medical sub?

The team listing said “managed” but naming as a medical sub suggests comfort with them playing 4 quarters. I thought he was very good when he came on.

I think he actually was intended to be managed. We did the same with McNeil against GWS and he ended up having to come on for Jong. He was rested the following week against Richmond. Crozier probably would have been rested this week but given Wood's injury he might play.

Axe Man
19-05-2021, 10:23 AM

I would say managed sounded nicer than omitted. I think it was form and team balance related.

His season only began in round 5 so I doubt he needed to be managed, and Bevo has already said he will likely replace Wood in the 22 this week, which suggests no physical issues.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2021, 10:25 AM
I would say managed sounded nicer than omitted. I think it was form and team balance related.

His season only began in round 5 so I doubt he needed to be managed, and Bevo has already said he will likely replace Wood in the 22 this week, which suggests no physical issues.

Yeah I agree. I think it was technically an omission due to team balance. So Bevo probably didn't want to make it out as though he was omitted.

Mofra
19-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Not looking good for Timmy:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/19/tim-english-almost-certain-to-miss-fourth-game-with-concussion/

Murphy'sLore
19-05-2021, 11:27 AM
I'm happy for them to play it safe if there is the slightest concern. Tim's long term welfare has to be the priority.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2021, 11:29 AM

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/19/tim-english-almost-certain-to-miss-fourth-game-with-concussion/

Damn. This is not good at all.

This is a big game for Sweet. He is learning through a baptism of fire. Going up against Ryder will really really test him. Luckily Marshall is our for them otherwise we would have been in a bit of trouble.

Does this mean Gardner comes in as the extra tall? Or Young?

Mofra
19-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Damn. This is not good at all.

This is a big game for Sweet. He is learning through a baptism of fire. Going up against Ryder will really really test him. Luckily Marshall is our for them otherwise we would have been in a bit of trouble.

Does this mean Gardner comes in as the extra tall? Or Young?
Possibly Young - he's been a relief ruck in the past too

I think Gardner needs a VFL game under his belt

1eyedog
19-05-2021, 11:52 AM

That's Edmund taking a stab in the dark off the back of Bevo's presser. It's probably an accurate guess, but it's still just an outside opinion.

Rocco Jones
19-05-2021, 11:58 AM
The positive with English is he is improving and has been training. As with any physical or mental issue, the problem is it staying the same or getting worse. Worrying short term for sure and if he gets concussed again, but continual improvement is huge.

comrade
19-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Sweet is going to be murdered by Ryder one out and Bruce is sore after being forced to ruck the past few weeks. Not good at all.

DOG GOD
19-05-2021, 12:33 PM
No choice but to bring Young in. Bruce won’t be able to ruck and Sweet can’t go alone.

Rocco Jones
19-05-2021, 01:53 PM

Yeah, we have used 'managed' a bit this season.

I think it's what you said + we want our role/peripheral guys as fresh as possible, which makes sense. The options are all pretty close anyway, might as well go with the freshest option when pressure acts seem to be the biggest indicator when filling out our 22.

1eyedog
19-05-2021, 01:59 PM

It's weird because 6 hours ago this was posted.

Hunter is expected to return from his hand surgery to face the Saints, while English is also likely after his concussion several weeks ago. But the Dogs' unavailable list is building, with Martin and Vandermeer ruled out for at least another three weeks, and Wood's hamstring injury set to see him miss up to six weeks. Ugle-Hagan also faces a test to get past his concussion from last week to be fit for selection. - Callum Twomey

Rocco Jones
19-05-2021, 02:04 PM

Hunter is expected to return from his hand surgery to face the Saints, while English is also likely after his concussion several weeks ago. But the Dogs' unavailable list is building, with Martin and Vandermeer ruled out for at least another three weeks, and Wood's hamstring injury set to see him miss up to six weeks. Ugle-Hagan also faces a test to get past his concussion from last week to be fit for selection. - Callum Twomey

It is why I only value quotes.

MrMahatma
19-05-2021, 02:23 PM
It is why I only value quotes.

Even they’re hard to take confidently sometimes. Pretty sure on Thursday last week Bevo said Hunter would play... then he didn’t.

I guess until a side is picked it’s not picked!

jazzadogs
19-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Sweet is going to be murdered by Ryder one out and Bruce is sore after being forced to ruck the past few weeks. Not good at all.

It will be interesting to see whether our midfielders take a defensive mindset into their stoppage setups, in the knowledge that Ryder will get heaps of comfortable hitouts.

bornadog
19-05-2021, 03:01 PM

Hunter and English need to get through training tomorrow and then a decision will be made - Quote Bevo

mjp
19-05-2021, 03:05 PM
It will be interesting to see whether our midfielders take a defensive mindset into their stoppage setups, in the knowledge that Ryder will get heaps of comfortable hitouts.

"HEAPS" sounds bad.

Is it really going to be that bad? Sweet has competed pretty well and protects the area around the ball pretty well.

I've got to say that I'm not really on-board with the recent mythologising of Ryder...sure, he was pretty good in the Elimination final but had 20 hitouts...a good effort but hardly match changing. His two goals on the other hand, well, they were pretty darned handy!

Axe Man
19-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Ryder's average stats in his 3 games this year read:

Hitouts: 32.7
Hitouts to advantage: 11.7
Hitout win %: 63.2%
Hitouts to advantage %: 35.7%

All rated above average, with hitout win % rated elite.

As compared to Nicnat:

Hitouts: 27.7
Hitouts to advantage: 11.2
Hitout win %: 52.2%
Hitouts to advantage %: 40.6%

Ryder has some pretty similar numbers to Nicnat this year, however he has only faced Hawthorn (McEvoy), Gold Coast (nobody) and Geelong (Blicavs/Ratugolea). Definitely a stern test for Sweet but the signs were good last week that he should be able to compete with Paddy and not let him have everything on his terms.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2021, 03:55 PM
When was the last time Paddy rucked without Marshall? He won't have the stamina that he used to have so it will be interesting to see how he fares as the games goes on.

Edit: With a short glance I don't think Paddy has played without Marshall. Well, he did at Port and Essendon but that's not really relevant is it.

Mofra
19-05-2021, 04:17 PM
Ryder's average stats in his 3 games this year read:

Hitouts: 32.7
Hitouts to advantage: 11.7
Hitout win %: 63.2%
Hitouts to advantage %: 35.7%

All rated above average, with hitout win % rated elite.

As compared to Nicnat:

Hitouts: 27.7
Hitouts to advantage: 11.2
Hitout win %: 52.2%
Hitouts to advantage %: 40.6%

Ryder has some pretty similar numbers to Nicnat this year, however he has only faced Hawthorn (McEvoy), Gold Coast (nobody) and Geelong (Blicavs/Ratugolea). Definitely a stern test for Sweet but the signs were good last week that he should be able to compete with Paddy and not let him have everything on his terms.
We gave up 11 hit-outs to advantage last week (and managed 4 of our own) and won the midfield battle 3 quarters out of four.
I am concerned about Paddy as well but I don't have him in NicNat's category and like us they don't have much of a second ruck option. If we can match them, then get them when Paddy rests (and their second string mids are on-ball) that is our chance to steal a goal each quarter. That's our edge

Given we spent 2019-2020 getting smashed in the ruck we have been able to make adjustments when required

bornadog
19-05-2021, 04:27 PM
We gave up 11 hit-outs to advantage last week (and managed 4 of our own) and won the midfield battle 3 quarters out of four.
I am concerned about Paddy as well but I don't have him in NicNat's category and like us they don't have much of a second ruck option. If we can match them, then get them when Paddy rests (and their second string mids are on-ball) that is our chance to steal a goal each quarter. That's our edge

Given we spent 2019-2020 getting smashed in the ruck we have been able to make adjustments when required

Who is their second ruck?

bulldogsthru&thru
19-05-2021, 04:35 PM
Who is their second ruck?

It'll most likely be one of Hunter, McKernan or Carlisle. So nothing to be worried about.

DOG GOD
19-05-2021, 05:00 PM
What we don’t want is Mckernan playing fwd and plucking some arsy marks and kicking goals from 50 on the boundary.

1eyedog
19-05-2021, 05:42 PM

Sweet needs to try to put body on Ryder at every boundary throw in.

comrade
19-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Went back and watched the 2020 EF for the first time. Boy, that was a frustrating game.

Saints marked EVERYTHING all over the ground, and absolutely cut us up from half back. Our defensive group pressed so high that night, the space inside our D50 was ridiculous.

Bont had a total stinker, too.

Marshall out certainly helps, can't see them stretching us as much this time round.

jeemak
19-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Went back and watched the 2020 EF for the first time. Boy, that was a frustrating game.

Saints marked EVERYTHING all over the ground, and absolutely cut us up from half back. Our defensive group pressed so high that night, the space inside our D50 was ridiculous.

Marshall out certainly helps, can't see them stretching us as much this time round.

This was me after that game, we sucked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfgqkMoeXBo

bornadog
19-05-2021, 09:54 PM

Yet the last quarter we almost pinched it. Not sure why the turnaround.

Ozza
19-05-2021, 11:55 PM
EF last year the areas we got smashed in were contested marks (21-13) and Hit outs (31-9). Yet we somehow had 51 inside 50s to 35.

Cordy went down early, Naughton had a shocker, As did Bruce and Wally.

We are obviously far better placed this year. Quite a different team also.

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 01:13 AM
EF last year the areas we got smashed in were contested marks (21-13) and Hit outs (31-9). Yet we somehow had 51 inside 50s to 35.

Cordy went down early, Naughton had a shocker, As did Bruce and Wally.

We are obviously far better placed this year. Quite a different team also.

Plus we historically struggle against the Aints at the Gabba.

Axe Man
20-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Plus we historically struggle against the Aints at the Gabba.

Especially in October.

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 11:41 AM
I'm going with just the two changes this week.

In : Crozier, Hunter
Out : Wood, Lipinski

*braces for BAD to tell me i've stuffed the sub again*

Marshall out I think gives us more freedom to play Gardner in the reserves.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Like to see Naughton as a back for a switch. Bruce is doing ok, and use small forwards to run them around.

bornadog
20-05-2021, 11:57 AM
I'm going with just the two changes this week.

In : Crozier, Hunter
Out : Wood, Lipinski

*braces for BAD to tell me i've stuffed the sub again*

Marshall out I think gives us more freedom to play Gardner in the reserves.

Hello GG, you are spot on. 2 ins and 2 outs.

I just hope English comes in.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2021, 11:58 AM
English - doubt he will be in.

Ghost Dog
20-05-2021, 12:02 PM
We lost the ruck V Port. Don't think it is a big deal.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2021, 12:36 PM
We lost the ruck V Port. Don't think it is a big deal.

The issue for mine isn't winning or losing in the ruck, it's the toll being competitive enough is taking on the team selected. Sweet and Bruce both sore.

Mofra
20-05-2021, 01:11 PM
The issue for mine isn't winning or losing in the ruck, it's the toll being competitive enough is taking on the team selected. Sweet and Bruce both sore.
Yep - I think we may bring Young in to play more of a relief ruck role this week.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-05-2021, 02:43 PM
We didn't have many issues with Ben King a few weeks ago. Who played on him? Although I'm guessing that was more to do with our midfield not allowing any quality I50s.

hujsh
20-05-2021, 03:57 PM
We didn't have many issues with Ben King a few weeks ago. Who played on him? Although I'm guessing that was more to do with our midfield not allowing any quality I50s.

Pretty sure Keath with Young covering Corbett who got a few contested marks. As much as we have 'designated matchups'

bornadog
20-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Teams will be out Thursday nights again, starting tonight.

comrade
20-05-2021, 04:23 PM

Yay, we get to meltdown 24 hours earlier this week :D

GVGjr
20-05-2021, 05:10 PM

I think this is a good thing. Many pleasant memories waiting for the league teams to be names on Thursday night and then discussing them at school the next day. Hopefully we will stop the shenanigans of last weeks effort by naming so many players out of position.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-05-2021, 05:57 PM
Any minute now.

Axe Man
20-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Any minute now.

About 6:20pm.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Hunter in, English still out.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Lipinski, Wood out

The Pie Man
20-05-2021, 07:25 PM
I think this is a good thing. Many pleasant memories waiting for the league teams to be names on Thursday night and then discussing them at school the next day. Hopefully we will stop the shenanigans of last weeks effort by naming so many players out of position.

I ....I don’t think you’ll like the structure of the 18 named...

comrade
20-05-2021, 07:26 PM
I ....I don’t think you’ll like the structure of the 18 named...

Keathy on the forward flank is my favourite.

ratsmac
20-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Lipinski injured, wonder what's happened there?
Glad Hunter is back. He was starting to find some nice form I thought.
Still no English is worrying

Mantis
20-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Lipinski injured, wonder what's happened there?
Glad Hunter is back. He was starting to find some nice form I thought.
Still no English is worrying

Lipinski has a corked thigh (from the report)... was probably in the gun anyway given his subpar performances recently.

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 07:34 PM
Lipinski has a corned thigh (from the report)... was probably in the gun anyway given his subpar performances recently.

Yes he had an ice pack on it post match.

bornadog
20-05-2021, 07:38 PM
Yes he had an ice pack on it post match.

But not reported in the injury list

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 08:14 PM
How's McNeil supposed to kick the first goal from half back? :cool:

Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
Saturday 22 May, 7.25pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Lachie Hunter, Roarke Smith, Cody Weightman
HB: Jason Johannisen, Mitch Hannan, Lachie McNeil
C: Anthony Scott, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith
HF: Alex Keath, Josh Bruce, Zaine Cordy
F: Bailey Dale, Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton
R: Jordon Sweet, Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore
Int: Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Williams, Hayden Crozier
Emer: Lewis Young, Buku Khamis, Louis Butler, Riley Garcia

In: Lachie Hunter
Out: Easton Wood (injured), Pat Lipinski (injured)

Dry Rot
20-05-2021, 08:16 PM

How come two are out and only one in?

Testekill
20-05-2021, 08:17 PM

Technically Crozier is an in.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Lipinski has a corned thigh (from the report)... was probably in the gun anyway given his subpar performances recently.

Mmm, love the corned thigh. Especially with some mustard pickle. ;)

hujsh
20-05-2021, 08:19 PM
How's McNeil supposed to kick the first goal from half back? :cool:

Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
Saturday 22 May, 7.25pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

Tall defenders are overrated. Roarke Smith can fill in for Keath easy as

Dry Rot
20-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Technically Crozier is an in.
Ah, thanks.

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 08:23 PM

I can never work out the sub. There's only one person who understands it on here :)

Dry Rot
20-05-2021, 08:29 PM
So no Young and Bruce is the second ruck again?

hujsh
20-05-2021, 08:33 PM
I can never work out the sub. There's only one person who understands it on here :)

AFL.com do it weird because they don't include the sub as an in and do include them as an out. Would be easier if they just listed changes to the starting 22

Rocco Jones
20-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Maybe Lew Young as the sub?

Bumper Bulldogs
20-05-2021, 08:41 PM

Why do they treat us with such contempt. You may as well not post the teams if your not serious about we’re they play. As if the other football clubs don’t know we’re players are playing and to the fact the supporters of the club. Really guys come on

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Why do they treat us with such contempt. You may as well not post the teams if your not serious about we’re they play. As if the other football clubs don’t know we’re players are playing and to the fact the supporters of the club. Really guys come on

I'm not sure either.

1eyedog
20-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Trying to be smart arses but it's really just a bit silly.

Rocco Jones
20-05-2021, 09:01 PM
I only look at the ins and outs anyway unless it's a Sunday extended bench (a thing again). What those putting them in 'positions' mean anyway? They don't have to line up there. Even if they did, they could change straight after the bounce.

bornadog
20-05-2021, 09:01 PM
Maybe Lew Young as the sub?

and late change

Axe Man
20-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Tall defenders are overrated. Roarke Smith can fill in for Keath easy as

I for one am looking forward to the Cody Weightman v Max King matchup.

Rocco Jones
and late change

Yep maybe he comes in late with the late out as the medical sub. Like the last time he played. Hannan possibly as the medical sub as he was sore.

GVGjr

I'm speculating but this seems like it would be something Bevo wants to do.
After denying fans to watch the boys at training sessions and even installing blinds in the cafe he's now thinks naming a semi accurate team each week will compromise our chances.

He's the Colonel Flagg of coaches

bornadog
20-05-2021, 09:03 PM
I'm speculating but this seems like it would be something Bevo wants to do.
After denying fans to watch the boys at training sessions and even installing blinds in the cafe he's now thinks naming a semi accurate team each week will compromise our chances.

He's the Colonel Flagg of coaches

Best coach in the AFL. ;)

GVGjr
20-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Best coach in the AFL. ;)

I'm starting to think now that all that leaked game plan excuse and throwing Talia under the bus was the start of his paranoia.

Grantysghost
20-05-2021, 09:13 PM
I for one am looking forward to the Cody Weightman v Max King matchup.

He's got the leap to interrupt tall forwards. Better it's the opposition's!

azabob
20-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Like to see Naughton as a back for a switch. Bruce is doing ok, and use small forwards to run them around.

Why do you want Naughton to go back?
So no tall forwards when Bruce rucks?

Go_Dogs
20-05-2021, 10:41 PM
It used to be if named on the bench, you couldn’t start on the field. No longer the case?

Glad Hunter is back and Crozier for Wood makes sense.

Also enjoy the team line up each week - good for a laugh. I wonder if the MC are having a competition on who can get the most ridiculous line up out over the season? All running defenders on the bench this week after our starting midfield last week.

jeemak
20-05-2021, 11:21 PM

You would have discussed them in black and white back in those days.........

Throughandthrough
20-05-2021, 11:32 PM

I still don’t get why AFL teams put the defenders at the top
Of the team sheet. Should be the forwards.

soupman
20-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Can't wait for next week when we name Naughton, Keath and Cordy as our midfield roving to Anthony Scotts tapwork with Bruce and Sweet manning the wings.

Happy Days
20-05-2021, 11:35 PM
Tbh I kinda like it.

soupman
20-05-2021, 11:37 PM
Tbh I kinda like it.

Me too. Beveridge has pulled some crazy stuff with selection in the past/present but naming the side in the dumbest way possible may end up being his pièce de résistance.

jeemak
20-05-2021, 11:39 PM
I think it's fine for some but others actually want to feel like they know what's going on and it is in some way a bit disrespectful.

bornadog
20-05-2021, 11:42 PM
I don't even look at the line up, I just checked the ins and outs.

soupman
20-05-2021, 11:45 PM
I think it's fine for some but others actually want to feel like they know what's going on and it is in some way a bit disrespectful.

I get where you are coming from but the whole thing is outdated anyway, they really should just be naming a squad of 22 in alphabetical order. None of the 22's are any more accurate than if you got a random fan of that club to arrange the names so that it kind of made sense.

Not to get ahead of myself or anything but imagine if we won the Premiership and all those merch guernseys with the side printed on the back had stuff like Caleb Daniel at CHB and Tom Liberatore at full forward.

Vred
21-05-2021, 12:11 AM
Not a big fan of not bringing Young in as relief ruck, really screws our structure when we have to put Bruce in the middle.

westbulldog
21-05-2021, 12:59 AM

It is contemptuous of supporters, media and the AFL in general. It is smug and makes a mockery of the intention of naming teams. I don't care who is countenancing it they are just being smartarses and dickheads.

boydogs
21-05-2021, 01:38 AM
Every man in our forwardline is taller than every man in our backline

jeemak
21-05-2021, 02:13 AM
I get where you are coming from but the whole thing is outdated anyway, they really should just be naming a squad of 22 in alphabetical order. None of the 22's are any more accurate than if you got a random fan of that club to arrange the names so that it kind of made sense.

Not to get ahead of myself or anything but imagine if we won the Premiership and all those merch guernseys with the side printed on the back had stuff like Caleb Daniel at CHB and Tom Liberatore at full forward.

Well that would be completely hilarious to me.

And yes you're right, it's all outdated thus I don't really care. But others do and sometimes the right thing to do means you......so on and so forth.

jeemak
21-05-2021, 02:15 AM
It is contemptuous of supporters, media and the AFL in general. It is smug and makes a mockery of the intention of naming teams. I don't care who is countenancing it they are just being smartarses and dickheads.

I get the anger, sort of, but we'll eventually be asked about it and will have a response for you to accept or otherwise.

dog town
21-05-2021, 05:39 AM
Surely we only need to see the 22 named? Who cares where they are listed? If there was going to be a major positional change on any given week they wouldn’t list it anyway. Absolute non issue, the only point of interest every week is ins/outs.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-05-2021, 07:10 AM
Clearly we are all a little older. If you have young kids and want to get them or have them engage in the sport or the brand/club. It doesn’t help. Some may thing it’s cleaver but really it’s just childish. We don’t have may traditions but we all probably use to look forward to seeing the sides named and reading the paper.

I think in. professional and high performance environment this shouldn’t happen. It makes it hard to keep young ones engaged as well.

SquirrelGrip
21-05-2021, 08:57 AM
Naming the team in positions is irrelevant. Teams don’t have forward pockets or even centre half back for that matter, so why name them that way?

If anything, you’d have to name who starts in each goal square, which five are then in each fifty arc, which midfielders start in the square etc. It’s probably just the wings that are still an historic position and probably the ruckman, but after the first bounce there is so much rotation and transition, it makes no difference. Even the player starting goal square at what we used to call full forward changes at most centre bounces.

MrMahatma
21-05-2021, 09:01 AM
I don’t think it matters. But also don’t see why we’d do it. I mean, we gain nothing by doing it, lose nothing if we name them sensibly...

Unless they get/got sick of Qs about where players were lined up on paper a while back and decided they’d do this to stop any questions?

Seems unnecessary though and seems a bit silly.

GVGjr
21-05-2021, 09:27 AM
I don’t think it matters. But also don’t see why we’d do it. I mean, we gain nothing by doing it, lose nothing if we name them sensibly...

Unless they get/got sick of Qs about where players were lined up on paper a while back and decided they’d do this to stop any questions?

Seems unnecessary though and seems a bit silly.

It's a protest of sorts. For years all clubs have named teams, perhaps not perfectly and no one expects that, but for some reason we have decided to make a mockery of it. Naming teams has traditionally been done to inform and engage the members but we've somehow came to the conclusion informing the fans isn't relevant any more and perhaps because we have 8 wins in 9 games the fans seem to be accepting it.
I get why some don't care but as you point out there is nothing gained for the club by making a mockery of selections.

If we keep distancing the club and players from the fans then I can see why attendances might start to dwindle.

mjp
21-05-2021, 09:50 AM
It's a protest of sorts.

I'm hearing the same. The club are protesting about the return to releasing teams on Thursday regardless of game time.

I actually LOVE the move back to Thursday teams. I quit AFL Fantasy this year because the random team releases last year (and proposal to do the same again this year) just made it too hard...of course, real footy is more important than Fantasy footy but without fan engagement, it all slowly dies...

I have heard that Geelong are equally annoyed and had planned to do a similar protest but thought better of it.

Do I care? No. But given the rule is being applied across the board it does feel 'petty'.

GVGjr
21-05-2021, 10:06 AM
I'm hearing the same. The club are protesting about the return to releasing teams on Thursday regardless of game time.

I actually LOVE the move back to Thursday teams. I quit AFL Fantasy this year because the random team releases last year (and proposal to do the same again this year) just made it too hard...of course, real footy is more important than Fantasy footy but without fan engagement, it all slowly dies...

I have heard that Geelong are equally annoyed and had planned to do a similar protest but thought better of it.

Do I care? No. But given the rule is being applied across the board it does feel 'petty'.

We've done it for years and because of one Covid-19 season where some latitude was provided to the clubs we now don't want to go back to it and are petulantly decided to make a stand.

Grantysghost
21-05-2021, 10:09 AM
It is outdated, however the 666 has at least made it slightly relevant again.

To intentionally make a mockery of it reveals an interesting mindset.

It's really quite callow and unnecessary.

I can't imagine it's worth wasting time on, it sends the opposite message to what they desire (the we don't care, well clearly you do) and leaves me scratching my head as to what triggered it.

I reckon we are better than that and personally I hope we've made our point and can move on.

hujsh
21-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Only ever reliable part of the teams was seeing who made the starting 18 in the Sunday game confirming them as an inclusion. Aside from that I couldn't care less where they're named because it's not binding and was not reliable

Bulldog4life
21-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Doesn't worry me in the least. If anything gives me a chuckle.

1eyedog
21-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Mckernan in for them shit me to tears. He's just the kind of eker to kick 5 against us.

Axe Man
21-05-2021, 11:35 AM
I still don’t get why AFL teams put the defenders at the top
Of the team sheet. Should be the forwards.

That is the traditional way teams are laid out. Take a look at a magnetic coaches board at the local footy.

DOG GOD
21-05-2021, 05:51 PM
Mckernan in for them shit me to tears. He's just the kind of eker to kick 5 against us.
Yep I said the same thing. Plucking his arsy marks and kicking goals from 50 on the boundary. I can see it coming. If Billings’s doesn’t get ya, Mckernan will.

Hotdog60
21-05-2021, 06:25 PM
The AFL will fix us up. They will make a rule you have to play the first quarter with the team in the positions selected.

Topdog
21-05-2021, 06:50 PM
We look petty and childish. As G said it is now another way that the club are telling the fans they don't care

Scraggers
22-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Did Young play last night? Who will be the sub tonight?

GVGjr
22-05-2021, 03:37 PM
Did Young play last night? Who will be the sub tonight?

Young is the emergency tonight, he might get a call up

Grantysghost
22-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Bevo mentioned some sore players so wouldn't be surprised at all with a late change.

soupman
22-05-2021, 04:56 PM
Would not be surprised if we try and pull that move we did against Brisbane where Young comes in as a late change and whoever goes out for him becomes the sub.

bornadog
22-05-2021, 05:17 PM
Would not be surprised if we try and pull that move we did against Brisbane where Young comes in as a late change and whoever goes out for him becomes the sub.

Will Roarke be sub?

Scraggers
22-05-2021, 06:35 PM

The other three emergencies played last night

Scraggers
22-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Will Roarke be sub?

More versatile than Young