PDA

View Full Version : Shorter Games

comrade
26-04-2021, 09:13 PM
Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?

azabob
26-04-2021, 09:29 PM
From a viewership I think the games are too long.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2021, 09:35 PM
Why are quite a few coaches pushing for shorter quarters?

I just watched Chris Fagan on AFL360 complaining about injuries building up because the 'games are too long' and therefore players are more fatigued. He believes the length of games has increased due to 'higher scoring'...when scores have barely gone up compared to 2019.

If injuries are the concern, wouldn't increasing rotations be the lever to pull rather than shortening quarters?

I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?

comrade
26-04-2021, 09:43 PM
I hope Fagan is asked that if quarters are reduced by 10-15%, does his wage or player wages get reduced?

Rotations or even interchange sizes seem like the place to start in a discussion about player welfare. Its a fair conversation to have, but let’s start at the start. Or is his call about trying to increase rotations or interchange really?

More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

Less rotations is the issue.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2021, 10:20 PM
More scoring leading to longer games leading to more injuries doesn't make sense anyway. The breaks after scores give players a chance to rest while the TV networks milk every second of advertising they can.

Less rotations is the issue.

Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.

comrade
26-04-2021, 10:24 PM
Rotations is fairer to all clubs. With the depth we currently have I’d take the bench out to 6 and a sub. That does little to North this year, or probably 5 years.

On The Couch is also pushing for it.

azabob
26-04-2021, 10:27 PM
On The Couch is also pushing for it.

I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.

Happy Days
26-04-2021, 10:43 PM
This is what happens when the Dogs are on top of the ladder. The footy shows can’t spend 25 minutes an episode sucking off the Pies/Dons/Blues/Tigers so they have to make stories up to keep their moron fans engaged.

Wasn’t new footy with no moving on the mark and key forwards and blah blah blah the greatest thing of all time two weeks ago?

jeemak
26-04-2021, 10:45 PM
I didn’t see 360 but the Couch gave valid reasons why the game goes too long and what should be changed to reduce game time organically.

What were the reasons?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.

comrade
26-04-2021, 10:50 PM
What were the reasons?

I'd be interested in seeing the actual injury data, to see if and what type of injuries have escalated since things reverted back to twenty minutes a quarter.

They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2021, 10:52 PM
They mentioned score reviews and time after goals being too long. Browny also asked why the clock stops at stoppages.

Seriously?

azabob
26-04-2021, 11:19 PM
Delete

bornadog
26-04-2021, 11:26 PM
Get rid of:

* score reviews - umpire's call
* ruck nominations
* don't stop clock at stoppages
* Forget 6.6.6 - they allow 30 seconds to get into position plus the umpires are looking around counting and wasting more time
* Stand on mark - wasting time to get player to stand
* Boundary throw in, stop waiting for rucks to set up - just throw the bloody thing in.
* shot at goal - reduce to 20 seconds - stop mucking around.

Easy plenty time saved.

I can't see the need to keep reducing rotations. make it open slather again.

soupman
26-04-2021, 11:34 PM
Jesus can they just not?

It's been a pretty entertaining season, and the long quarters are so incredibly better than the short ones last year. They love pulling out this argument, yet literally no one i know who is not in the media has ever raised it.

There are things that take too long, particularly the breaks after goals and score reviews. Shorten them (score reviews should be capped after 20 seconds, if it isn't conclusive after that bad luck), but the overall product is fine.

jeemak
26-04-2021, 11:39 PM

So the bits that give the players a rest without having to go to the bench are causing injuries?

Hotdog60
26-04-2021, 11:48 PM
But wasn't the AFL that wants to increase fatigue in players to open up the play to increase the scoring hence why they dropped the rotations.
If they cut the length of the quarters then the AFL is back where they started and the merry-go round starts again.
If they just left the game as it was twenty years ago I wonder how it would be now.
If we go back through our posts hare on WOOF I'm sure one of our learned posters would have mentioned that there could be an increase for soft tissue injury with less rotations and player fatigue.
When will they ever learn..........NEVER

bornadog
26-04-2021, 11:49 PM
But wasn't the AFL that wants to increase fatigue in players to open up the play to increase the scoring hence why they dropped the rotations.
If they cut the length of the quarters then the AFL is back where they started and the merry-go round starts again.
If they just left the game as it was twenty years ago I wonder how it would be now.
If we go back through our posts hare on WOOF I'm sure one of our learned posters would have mentioned that there could be an increase for soft tissue injury with less rotations and player fatigue.
When will they ever learn..........NEVER

Not one change has enhanced our game in the past 20 years

GVGjr
27-04-2021, 04:05 AM
This just requires some minor tweaks. 34 minute quarters are too long but I given I'm watching more footy now than for 15 years or more so I think many of the games are worth watching.

Topdog
27-04-2021, 08:21 AM
Given that scoring hasn't actually increased what exactly is causing it?

Qtr 3 in the lions game went for 35 minutes i believe yet only had 8 goals kicked.

comrade
27-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Qtr 3 in the lions game went for 35 minutes i believe yet only had 8 goals kicked.

Yep, this article (https://www.afl.com.au/news/603200/fresh-start-or-false-dawn-the-stats-behind-2021-s-new-look-footy) on AFL website confirms that scoring hasn't really increased at all so Fagan is way off base, suggesting it's the cause of longer games and more injuries.

GVGjr
27-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Lets start with score reviews and re-bouncing the ball. They may as well throw the ball up given they can't control the bounce and we don't need score reviews.

hujsh
27-04-2021, 10:29 AM
I like the idea of limiting how long you have to review the score. After a certain point of time it's obviously inconclusive so just go with umpire's call if it can't clearly be overturned.

AFL won't decrease the time between scores, you need to pump those ads out and have time for a replay and inane commentary

jeemak
27-04-2021, 11:52 AM

Yep, this article (https://www.afl.com.au/news/603200/fresh-start-or-false-dawn-the-stats-behind-2021-s-new-look-footy) on AFL website confirms that scoring hasn't really increased at all so Fagan is way off base, suggesting it's the cause of longer games and more injuries.

No way!

Happy Days
27-04-2021, 11:57 AM
No way!

It’s almost like no matter what footy was served up this year, it was going to look like the greatest thing ever after the 2020 season long death march.

Hotdog60
11-07-2021, 09:58 AM
Scott joins Fagan. Could it have something to do with Dads Army?

Chris Scott’s plea to AFL after latest Geelong Cats win

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/220cbc3d6fe2757307762d9461a36f26?width=650

Geelong coach Chris Scott has advocated for shorter games, with management of players set to be a continuing trend for the Cats through a busy schedule on the road to the finals.

Geelong will head to Perth for a clash with Fremantle on Thursday night, giving the club a five-day break after its win over Carlton on Saturday evening at the MCG.

“Two years ago, it would’ve been the main story, five-day break and getting on a plane to Perth. What we’ve been through the last 18 months, it’s play on,” Scott said.

Scott flagged the return of Joel Selwood for the game, with the skipper managed on Saturday along with pressure forward Luke Dahlhaus.

“The plan is for them to come back in but as always we’ve got a lot we want to play and only 22 spots, so we need to work through that a little bit. Joel’s not perfect, but we thought the most honest description for him this week was to say he was managed rather than be specific about a few little issues that might keep him out of a game later in the year, we’d prefer to be a bit more proactive,” he said.

Scott praised the AFL for the decision to shorten game times in a compressed 2020, before admitting the management of players will continue as the league tinkers with Thursday and Monday night football.

“As a spectator when I watch footy on Thursday, Friday night, the game’s way too long,” he said.

“I don’t really get a say in that, but the shorter games do allow you to play on shorter breaks. Five-day breaks, with the game time and longer season, at least for us it would be unsustainable to play the same 22 every week.

“If that’s what we have to do then so be it, but I don’t think it’s best for the game. I think you want the best players out there as much as possible. I certainly like it when there is heat on the game rather than being drawn out. There’s nothing the rule makers can do to stop the coaches controlling the tempo of the game, we’ll win that one every time

comrade
11-07-2021, 10:02 AM
Coach of the oldest side in history wants shorter games, stop the press.

comrade
11-07-2021, 10:05 AM
On a side note, games only seem too long when the two teams put on a sh*t standard of game. Maybe if Chris Scott wasn't a complete coward and didn't play 2 extra men back in defence at every opportunity, the game would be more exciting and no one would complain about the length.

Sedat
11-07-2021, 10:48 AM
On a side note, games only seem too long when the two teams put on a sh*t standard of game. Maybe if Chris Scott wasn't a complete coward and didn't play 2 extra men back in defence at every opportunity, the game would be more exciting and no one would complain about the length.
This x1000. Chris Scott is the modern day Paul Roos with his unwatchable game plan of stilted, slow, uncontested ball movement. And he does this with one of the most experienced and talented squads in the competition.

As a general rule, anything Chris Scott is in favour of is a bad idea designed solely to assist Geelong.

GVGjr
11-07-2021, 11:13 AM
Shorter games might have been an OK concept in a condensed season but the standard of footy has been very good this year and there is no reason to shorten the quarters. Captain Mainwairing will need to work how to use some of the players like Constable, Narkle and Clark so they can add some fresher legs to his Dads Army.
To think his brother is a candidate to replace Steve Hocking is a scary option.

Happy Days
11-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Did none of these guys watch the product in 2020? It was HORRIBLE and any efforts to replicate it should be met with deregistration.

GVGjr
11-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Did none of these guys watch the product in 2020? It was HORRIBLE and any efforts to replicate it should be met with deregistration.

Agreed, horrible but it was a reasonable plan going into a rushed season. At the moment there is no need to even consider it especially when each club has an injury sub.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2021, 11:29 AM
There are plenty of options to shorten game time with out actually shortening games.

What about we get rid of the stupid ruck nomination and just throw the ball up. That would take about 2 minutes off every quarter.

We can also get rid of the goal review and saves heaps of time. Trust the guy given the job.

Plus adjudicate the holding the ball instead of allowing every player to just roll into a tackle and wait for the ball up.

Hotdog60
11-07-2021, 11:29 AM

This is is a major concern and also a conflict of interest. I hope it doesn't happen. Would there be any benefit to an ex experienced umpire getting the role.

GVGjr
11-07-2021, 11:34 AM
There are plenty of options to shorten game time with out actually shortening games.

What about we get rid of the stupid ruck nomination and just throw the ball up. That would take about 2 minutes off every quarter.

We can also get rid of the goal review and saves heaps of time. Trust the guy given the job.

Plus adjudicate the holding the ball instead of allowing every player to just roll into a tackle and wait for the ball up.

The score review has added nothing and should be scrapped. I like your suggestion about the holding the ball rule.

comrade
11-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Scott wants to shorten the actual playing time, not just the overall duration of the game. Tweaking reviews, ruck nominations etc isn't enough for him because that doesn't reduce the playing time. He doesn't want his players having to run and compete for as long as they currently have to.

hujsh
11-07-2021, 11:55 AM
Scott wants to shorten the actual playing time, not just the overall duration of the game. Tweaking reviews, ruck nominations etc isn't enough for him because that doesn't reduce the playing time. He doesn't want his players having to run and compete for as long as they currently have to.

In fact he probably wouldn't want the above changes (most I agree with) because it gives his guys less of a breather.

comrade
11-07-2021, 11:59 AM
In fact he probably wouldn't want the above changes (most I agree with) because it gives his guys less of a breather.

Correct, I'm sure he'll take the 16 min quarters of actual playing time with all the extra bells and whistles. Game length isn't his problem, playing time is but he can't out and say 'our squad is old and suited to shorter quarters'.

SquirrelGrip
11-07-2021, 11:59 AM
Coach of the oldest side in history wants shorter games, stop the press.

I wonder if his new CEO agrees with him?

westdog54
11-07-2021, 12:38 PM
Shorter games might have been an OK concept in a condensed season but the standard of footy has been very good this year and there is no reason to shorten the quarters. Captain Mainwairing will need to work how to use some of the players like Constable, Narkle and Clark so they can add some fresher legs to his Dads Army.

Now there's a name I haven't heard for a very long time.

He's not even being remotely transparent here. Shorter games benefit his team with their current profile.

They wouldn't have been anywhere NEAR the grand final last year in a proper season.

bornadog
11-07-2021, 02:43 PM
Geelong the oldest team in history and Scott wants to save their old legs.

Leave the game alone

comrade
11-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Bevo was asked about this and basically said any changes would need to be collaborative, based on data and that decisions shouldn't be made so 'one or two people get their way'. Well deserved backhander for Chris Scott.

Grantysghost
11-07-2021, 09:49 PM
Bevo was asked about this and basically said any changes would need to be collaborative, based on data and that decisions shouldn't be made so 'one or two people get their way'. Well deserved backhander for Chris Scott.

And Clarko.

Mofra
12-07-2021, 04:53 PM
This x 1000.
There are a reasons every quarter now exceeds 30 minutes and this is culprit number 1