Margin:
First goal:
Best on ground:

Eastdog
23-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Bump

jeemak
24-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Here's some media about this week's game. Will be interesting to see how the match is framed, this is all a bit Melbourne centric.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-s-bont-v-petracca-in-big-showdown-20210523-p57ud0.html

bornadog
24-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Here's some media about this week's game. Will be interesting to see how the match is framed, this is all a bit Melbourne centric.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-s-bont-v-petracca-in-big-showdown-20210523-p57ud0.html

Do they have to put crap like this in the article:

The Dogs have Tom Liberatore whom it has to be remembered has had two knees but is at the very pointy end of elite midfielders.

WTF, knees have nothing to do with his performance this year.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Dogs by 41
First Goal Bruce
BOG The Bont

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 03:59 PM

It's articles like this that confirm why I don't read major news sources. I'm trying to work out if what I read was indeed English.

And yes, it was very Melbourne-centric. But I expected that.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Dogs by 26
FG: Hannan
BOG: Hannan (4 Goals)

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 04:25 PM
It's articles like this that confirm why I don't read major news sources. I'm trying to work out if what I read was indeed English.

And yes, it was very Melbourne-centric. But I expected that.

Makes Oliver sound like the greatest midfielder of his generation and Libba some old bloke with dodgy knees... oh yeah, he's also elite as an after thought.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 04:28 PM
And the guy who's set a record for going consecutive games over thirty touches is "class".

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 04:37 PM
And the guy who's set a record for going consecutive games over thirty touches is "class".

Macrae is the criminally under rated one isn't he. Just so bloody good, maybe he needs some Rick Flair training to get himself noticed by these dipsh1ts.
Petracca v Bont.
Previously Cripps v Bont.

There's a constant here.

Happy Days
24-05-2021, 04:39 PM
To be fair Oliver has been astonishingly good this year. His game against the Crows is the best game that anyone has played all season.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 04:45 PM
It'll be an intriguing game. Their vaunted midfield against ours where we are missing 2 vital players from it. There's a lot more pressure on them for that reason.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Does Wallis come in as a midfielder?

Favour: History of tagging well, threat resting forward, hardened leader, been playing as a mid in the VFL
Against: Not quick, a while since he’s done it consistently, he/Bruce/Naughton/English/Hannan is not ideal

Lipinski has been shaky and Garcia is unknown at the level.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 04:54 PM

Favour: History of tagging well, threat resting forward, hardened leader, been playing as a mid in the VFL
Against: Not quick, a while since he’s done it consistently, he/Bruce/Naughton/English/Hannan is not ideal

I don't think we need another mid as Bazelenka has gone back to the centre.

Bont, Macrae, Smith, Libba should cover us.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 05:02 PM
I don't think we need another mid as Bazelenka has gone back to the centre.

Bont, Macrae, Smith, Libba should cover us.

If one of them gets an injury (nothing serious, but they’re out for rest of the game) then the other 3 need to attend every centre bounce every time. Plus giving them a breather, I think we are short unless Daniel is going back to the middle.

comrade
24-05-2021, 05:15 PM

I'd honestly prefer Garcia to Wallis through the middle.

comrade
24-05-2021, 05:18 PM
How do we stop Lever and May from running riot? Obviously a lot has changed since, but they did a number on Bruce and Naughton (before he copped that arm injury) in the pre-season game - how do we think the match ups will look?

I reckon May goes to Naughton, Petty goes to Bruce and Lever tries his hardest to just sag off the likes of Hannan. English coming back in becomes very important in that case.

azabob
24-05-2021, 05:22 PM
How do we stop Lever and May from running riot? Obviously a lot has changed since, but they did a number on Bruce and Naughton (before he copped that arm injury) in the pre-season game - how do we think the match ups will look?

I reckon May goes to Naughton, Petty goes to Bruce and Lever tries his hardest to just sag off the likes of Hannan. English coming back in becomes very important in that case.

Pretty much what I said in the match committee thread yesterday.

If English doesn't come in, we need Young to play as ruck coverage.

We need to play through Bruce and Lever's opponent, especially Lever as he will be concentrating on Naughton more than Weightman or Hannan.

Happy Days
24-05-2021, 05:31 PM
Pretty much what I said in the match committee thread yesterday.

If English doesn't come in, we need Young to play as ruck coverage.

We need to play through Bruce and Lever's opponent, especially Lever as he will be concentrating on Naughton more than Weightman or Hannan.

Yep agreed. It has to be Hannan for mine, he’s got the size to compete one on one with Lever and is pretty good in the air.

Nicks said post-game that they really drilled in keeping their eyes lowered and looking for shallower entries when going inside 50 to try and play Melbourne’s structure to their advantage. I posted elsewhere that Melbourne look to go one short at stoppages to keep their defensive structure how they like it, and if we can keep our discipline like Adelaide did then with our stronger midfield we could really cut them up.

Of course this is all significantly easier said than done.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 05:44 PM
I'd honestly prefer Garcia to Wallis through the middle.

From what I've seen of Garcia I have to agree. He has the leg speed to spread and would get into position as a defensive mid quickly. He'd be my first choice.

I don't think we can have Libba and Wally in the same midfield.

Treloar started forward / wing so it's probably someone that fits that role like a Lipinski or West?

Dare I mention the guy whose dad is good with the nags?

comrade
24-05-2021, 05:48 PM
From what I've seen of Garcia I have to agree. He has the leg speed to spread and would get into position as a defensive mid quickly.

I don't think we can have Libba and Wally in the same midfield.

Treloar started forward / wing so it's probably someone that fits that role like a Lipinski or West?

Dare I mention the guy whose dad is good with the nags?

Garcia or Lipinski are much more preferable to Wally, and I've gone off West quite a bit.

He just doesn't have the physical tools/talent his brain thinks he has at this point and it wouldn't be fair on him to expect him to come in and perform at a high level against the Demons after what he served up against the Tigers.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 05:50 PM
Garcia or Lipinski are much more preferable to Wally, and I've gone off West quite a bit.

He just doesn't have the physical tools/talent his brain thinks he has at this point and it wouldn't be fair on him to expect him to come in and perform at a high level against the Demons after what he served up against the Tigers.

His dad at least fired up JJ.

comrade
24-05-2021, 05:54 PM
His dad at least fired up JJ.

Yep, since that rant JJ has been fantastic and Cody was given the opportunity to play the same role Rhylee had a crack at and couldn't have grasped it even better.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 05:55 PM
Any chance Bevo does a Bevo and gives Jammara a game for indigenous round?

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 06:04 PM

Prior to the concussion I would've said yes....

And I'm still saying it ! Perfect wing half forward replacement :cool:

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 06:07 PM

I was thinking of that earlier today, but not for that reason. I think he’s a great match up for Lever. Jamarra has the height, jump/leap, pressure/tackling is quicker (would be our quickest forward in a quick forward line) and will make Lever think twice about leaving him. We don’t need a gorilla to stop Lever, we need a very tall, very athletic player that loves to hurt opponents and has the speed and the leap to to the defending and offer a very threatening forward option that needs to be manned up. It’s left field, but it’s also a good game for him with a clear instruction to destroy Lever with your unique traits and when you have the chance try to hit the scoreboard.

Grantysghost
24-05-2021, 06:38 PM
I was thinking of that earlier today, but not for that reason. I think he’s a great match up for Lever. Jamarra has the height, jump/leap, pressure/tackling is quicker (would be our quickest forward in a quick forward line) and will make Lever think twice about leaving him. We don’t need a gorilla to stop Lever, we need a very tall, very athletic player that loves to hurt opponents and has the speed and the leap to to the defending and offer a very threatening forward option that needs to be manned up. It’s left field, but it’s also a good game for him with a clear instruction to destroy Lever with your unique traits and when you have the chance try to hit the scoreboard.

We live in insanely exciting times at the Dogs. Top of the table with the #1 pick with all those traits you've described waiting in the wings.

Topdog
24-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Marra would get taken to the cleaners by Lever

comrade
24-05-2021, 08:22 PM
Marra would get taken to the cleaners by Lever

Yeah, it would be a massacre. Would be a bloody good learning experience for the kid though.

Marra just isn't anywhere near VFL standard conditioning, let alone AFL.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 09:00 PM
If one of them gets an injury (nothing serious, but they’re out for rest of the game) then the other 3 need to attend every centre bounce every time. Plus giving them a breather, I think we are short unless Daniel is going back to the middle.

Well that would make us shorter in the middle.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2021, 09:20 PM

I understand the strong support for Garcia’s selection but given the losses of Dunkley and now Treloar from a strong midfield I would prefer to see the more experienced Wallis recalled to the team. Whilst players such as Sweet Scott and McNeil have served us well we could run the risk of bringing Garcia in against the more experienced Melbourne.

kruder
24-05-2021, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know how many guests passes you can get for non members? It has 10 but i think thats referring to members sitting together?

westdog54
24-05-2021, 11:02 PM
Dogs by 10 in a shootout
Bailey Dale first goal, charging into a handball receive while they're setting up a zone around Bruce and Naughton.
Libba to be BOG of the back of massive clearance/tackle numbers.

bornadog
24-05-2021, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know how many guests passes you can get for non members? It has 10 but i think thats referring to members sitting together?

Ring membership

josie
24-05-2021, 11:58 PM
If Wally does not get a call up this week then I think it’s pretty clear club are saying look elsewhere at end of year. Personally I’d like to see Garcia given a go. Will be interesting to see who is chosen. If English is fit then even without playing for a number of weeks I think he will play. I think Gardner offers more speed then Cordy.

I’d go:
Garcia for Treloar (advantage is Demons would not know much about him & he is quick & has footy smarts)
Gardner in for Cordy
English in for Scott
Young as emergency

Wonder if Bevo will be more conservative and go:
Wally for Treloar
Keep Young in as ruck backup and hold English back another week
Scott or Garcia as emergency

Also would not be surprised if Hayes who played well in VFL is emergency

Vred
25-05-2021, 01:11 AM
Margin: Dogs by 15
First goal: Weightman
Best on ground: Bont

1eyedog
25-05-2021, 09:58 AM
Depth will be tested this week. Treloar is a big big loss he has been fantastic.

Dees by 17 points
BOG it's unlikely to be Macrae no matter how well he plays.
FG Bruce

The Pie Man
25-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Suspect we (fans) might have to sit this one out with restrictions ��

bulldogsthru&thru
25-05-2021, 11:44 AM

Not often we are involved in a top of the table clash. Bloody disappointing.

GVGjr
25-05-2021, 12:15 PM

Melbourne fans were already on board

comrade
25-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Just keep it to Dogs members only.

Mofra
25-05-2021, 12:36 PM
This could be devastating for the trout pate' industry

Grantysghost
25-05-2021, 12:40 PM
This could be devastating for the trout pate' industry

Cancel the Foie Gras stat!

Grantysghost
25-05-2021, 12:42 PM
Empty stadium probably slightly benefits Melbourne considering it's our home game too. We will only win by 5 goals now.

The bulldog tragician
25-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Damn, damn and more damn. Was looking forward to this so much.

cinder
25-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Same. So damn typical!

bornadog
25-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Could be 85% capacity, but let's see what happens.

1eyedog
25-05-2021, 01:08 PM
Could be 85% capacity, but let's see what happens.

I reckon they'll go 50%

The Pie Man
25-05-2021, 01:38 PM
I reckon they'll go 50%

Dogs Members only? Make it hostile!

Axe Man
25-05-2021, 03:43 PM
The Western Bulldogs have been placed into quarantine after a staff member went to Highpoint shopping centre during the COVID exposure period.

The Herald Sun can reveal players and coaches have had COVID tests and will quarantine until they return a negative COVID test.

The league is confident the players and coaches will be able to return to training tomorrow ahead of their bumper clash against Melbourne on Friday night.

But the safety protocol shows how delicately poised the AFL’s season is amid a COVID pandemic.

The AFL and State Government enacted their safety protocols to ensure the players tested negative before they returned to training.

The AFL remains confident it will be able to host four games in Victoria in Round 11 despite the latest Covid-19 scare.

The league remains in regular contact with the state government as it considers the scope of five Covid cases in the state.

Acting premier James Merlino said this morning it was reviewing the settings on AFL crowds with more specifics to be announced later.

That might require the league to reduce crowd numbers or a worst case scenario, play games behind closed doors.

Merlino said the state government “is not making any announcement today” regarding ramifications for AFL crowds.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/follow-the-latest-news-on-how-the-covid-scare-will-impact-the-afl-season/news-story/bc2f65905b65ca0603de4f8f363df8a0)

Grantysghost
25-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Not the ideal preparation.

comrade
25-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Not the ideal preparation.

Backs against the wall, use the adversity to motivate us.

bornadog
25-05-2021, 04:19 PM
Backs against the wall, use the adversity to motivate us.

should be ok if no one tests positive.

"The Club moved quickly to adjust its training schedule for the remainder of the week, and it expects minimal disruption to its preparations for Friday night’s match against Melbourne at Marvel Stadium."

According first reported by the Herald Sun, players and coaches have been placed in quarantine and ordered to take COVID tests.

They’ll be released from quarantine when a negative test result is confirmed.

The Dogs are currently preparing for Friday night’s top-of-the-table clash against Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday night.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2021, 04:20 PM
I’m happy to move the bye around, taking it this week, and hit this game in the three weeks.

Grantysghost
25-05-2021, 04:26 PM
should be ok if no one tests positive.

Hopefully they can expedite the tests. I've had a few and it's generally chook lotto. 24-72 hours.

bornadog
25-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Hopefully they can expedite the tests. I've had a few and it's generally chook lotto. 24-72 hours.

Yeah, mine only took 24 hours, but currently they are overwhelmed.

I popped into the Exhibition Building in Carlton, yesterday morning. No appointment and straight in to get the jab.

Insufficient Intent
26-05-2021, 08:21 AM
Anyone heard anything about the Covid test results? All I’ve seen has been Cody Weightman being on Fox last night saying his test was all clear.

AshMac
26-05-2021, 08:46 AM
I’m happy to move the bye around, taking it this week, and hit this game in the three weeks.

That’s a bloody good idea if it came to it

1eyedog
26-05-2021, 08:54 AM
Collingwood v Port match now an exposure site 1000s asked to get tested. Getting out of hand now. Wonder if we'll see a suspension of games for 2 weeks.

The Pie Man
26-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Footy crowds allowed at MCG and Docklands this weekend but with added rules around masks and possibly roof open at Docklands, @MartinPakulaMP says. More details later from AFL.
Pakula says public health team happy with the info provided who was sitting where @abcmelbourne

Grantysghost
26-05-2021, 10:17 AM
Footy crowds allowed at MCG and Docklands this weekend but with added rules around masks and possibly roof open at Docklands, @MartinPakulaMP says. More details later from AFL.
Pakula says public health team happy with the info provided who was sitting where @abcmelbourne

Very interesting. Roof open, bring your scarf!

bornadog
26-05-2021, 10:17 AM

Will have to get in quick for a ticket.

bornadog
26-05-2021, 10:18 AM

and your rain coat

Axe Man
26-05-2021, 10:28 AM
The AFL is expected to make a call today on the Marvel Stadium roof, with a closed stadium to reduce the capacity to 50 per cent.

It comes as the Western Bulldogs were released from quarantine this morning, with the Dogs returning to training after a Covid scare demanded players and staff be tested.

Training was cancelled on Tuesday and players and staff were tested after being notified on Monday night that a staff member had been to an exposure site following the latest outbreak in Melbourne’s north and west.

The AFL will today choose between an open roof at 85 per cent crowd capacity and the 50 per cent option with the roof closed.

Sports minister Martin Pakula said: “There will be some conditions around mask wearing and there will be some conditions about the roof at Marvel ... the AFL are considering some of those options as well speak and they will have something to say before lunchtime today.”

The Western Bulldogs were forced into COVID quarantine as the league frantically considered fixture contingency plans amid the latest coronavirus outbreak.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/follow-the-latest-news-on-how-the-covid-scare-will-impact-the-afl-season/news-story/bc2f65905b65ca0603de4f8f363df8a0)

Bulldog4life
26-05-2021, 10:30 AM

Hopefully no rain.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-05-2021, 10:33 AM
I think the AFL might have gone a little early here. Things are worsening by the hour.

Axe Man
26-05-2021, 10:34 AM
Hopefully no rain.

Very little forecast for Friday at this stage - 0 to 1mm at a 50% chance.

1eyedog
26-05-2021, 10:43 AM
Damp will descend in the second half with an open roof.

The Pie Man
26-05-2021, 10:50 AM
I think the AFL might have gone a little early here. Things are worsening by the hour.

Not to turn this into a COVID thread ... this from Raf Epstein from the ABC

Bad breaking news but good news too

The five new cases overnight are all easily linked to existing cases (work etc)

Footy crowds approved last night with knowledge there were these five new cases.

cinder
26-05-2021, 11:47 AM
After attending the recent MCG game against Richmond, I was reminded how freezing it is with an open roof. Rug up people!

Eastdog
26-05-2021, 11:54 AM
I have made the decision to not go this weekend just to be on the safe side. Cancelled my Marvel stadium parking. Was going to go with my Mum and Uncle who are both Demons supporters.

Go Bulldogs!

bornadog
26-05-2021, 12:21 PM
After attending the recent MCG game against Richmond, I was reminded how freezing it is with an open roof. Rug up people!

Still going if it is on?

I will definitely be going.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Waiting for ticket sales patiently....

Axe Man
26-05-2021, 12:44 PM
I have made the decision to not go this weekend just to be on the safe side. Cancelled my Marvel stadium parking. Was going to go with my Mum and Uncle who are both Demons supporters.

Go Bulldogs!

Better stay in your house for the next year or so Easty, will be a while before this is behind us.

Eastdog
26-05-2021, 12:53 PM
Better stay in your house for the next year or so Easty, will be a while before this is behind us.

A good number will decide not to go this weekend. I have been to all the Bulldog Marvel and G games this year. After this weekend majority of us won’t be going next until Round 16 when we play North at Marvel. Hopefully by then the situation will be under control.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-05-2021, 01:00 PM
We've been talking about rain but has anyone seen the snow forecast? It's gonna be a chilly weekend so it might reduce the number of dees fans which means more tickets for doggies fans :D

1eyedog
26-05-2021, 01:15 PM

Yeah Covid has been out there circulating the whole time it just hasn't been picked up through testing. It's not surprising given the number of people being tested through Feb-May was around 8-12k a day. That's basically nothing in city with a population of 5 million.

Pretty much every suburb has had strong wastewater frag readings this year.

cinder
26-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Still going if it is on?

I will definitely be going.

I will be. Hubby, not so sure.

Eastdog
26-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Margin: Dogs by 10 points - close for most of the night but will get the job done in the end
First goal: Aaron Naughton to kick our first
Best on ground: Marcus Bontempelli to have a great one after resigning with us this week

bornadog
27-05-2021, 11:52 AM
Game in doubt due to Melbourne player visiting an exposure site, then going to training.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Game in doubt due to Melbourne player visiting an exposure site, then going to training.

Yep that's basically curtains now. The wait for results brings us to Friday. Looks like we'll get the bye this week after all.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Sam Edmund update:

THE Western Bulldogs-Melbourne clash is alive ... for now. AFL is currently negotiating with the state government given the Demons player who visited a tier 1 exposure site & now faces 14 days quarantine, had not been working closely with players and staff over the past few days.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2021, 12:46 PM
Sam Edmund update:

So he wasn't training with the team then?

Grantysghost
27-05-2021, 01:14 PM
Sam Edmund update:

Interesting, this seems a bit odd to me. But we shall find out more I guess.

Can't imagine a player not being around others at the club?

soupman
27-05-2021, 01:15 PM
I think it was Marty Hore who is out for the season

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 01:17 PM
afel.com.au

Playing in Melbourne, NO crowds.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 01:18 PM
afel.com.au

Playing in Melbourne, NO crowds.

Well at least something to look forward to.

Happy Days
27-05-2021, 01:36 PM
We should play Jamarra. This game doesn’t count anyway.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2021, 01:40 PM
I can see the AFL keeping us in WA the next two weeks. We'll play Freo, then Eagles in Perth as both the eagles and dogs have the bye that week. We'll then come back to VIC and have our bye and then play geelong the following week.

comrade
27-05-2021, 01:42 PM
I can see the AFL keeping us in WA the next two weeks. We'll play Freo, then Eagles in Perth as both the eagles and dogs have the bye that week. We'll then come back to VIC and have our bye and then play geelong the following week.

WA might not let us in.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 01:56 PM
WA might not let us in.

Hard border now in place.

Rocco Jones
27-05-2021, 02:26 PM

Maybe something like Essendon staying there. Us playing them next week in WA, then the two WA sides.

I actually think the AFL will try to get in as many games as possible during the bye rounds.

Rocco Jones
27-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Reading the WA border restrictions, think Vic sides might need to quarantine for a bit in other states for games to happen.

Rather than more byes, I think we might get less. If Vic players are interstate, you'd think they'd rather be getting games out of the way and rest at home (if possible). It might also get a lot worse, so getting in games will be huge with TV $$.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Official:

We play
Open roof
No crowds
Essential staff and players only
Assuming dees negative test

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2021, 04:41 PM
Official:

We play
Open roof
No crowds
Essential staff and players only
Assuming dees negative test

Why does the roof need to be open?

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Dunno. I assume to reduce any transmission risk.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 04:42 PM

Yeah ridiculous

bulldogsthru&thru
Dunno. I assume to reduce any transmission risk.

Are the players also not allowed to tackle then?

Absurd.

Grantysghost
Roof open? That's crazy.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 04:43 PM

Absurd.

Getting like that anyway :D

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 04:44 PM

Absurd.

If the government told them to do it, then that’s the cost of playing at Docklands. I’m happy to pay that.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-05-2021, 04:45 PM
If the government told them to do it, then that’s the cost of playing at Docklands. I’m happy to pay that.

Sounds like something the government would do.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Sounds like something the government would do.

You mean health authorities advice.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 04:53 PM
McLachlan: I think that'd have serious implications for tomorrow (if the Melbourne player is positive).

Grantysghost
27-05-2021, 05:15 PM
McLachlan: I think that'd have serious implications for tomorrow (if the Melbourne player is positive).

There's been no exposure site transmission so far so it's probably unlikely.

jeemak
28-05-2021, 12:28 AM
BMac on both Us and Melbourne, Bont and Petracca. Again, not surprisingly, it's pretty Melbourne oriented on balance but I'm becoming OK with this. We have a recent flag, they have the longest drought in history and have been really good at the same time.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-are-better-but-so-are-the-dees-says-ex-coach-mccartney-20210526-p57vdl.html

AshMac
28-05-2021, 08:25 AM
BMac on both Us and Melbourne, Bont and Petracca. Again, not surprisingly, it's pretty Melbourne oriented on balance but I'm becoming OK with this. We have a recent flag, they have the longest drought in history and have been really good at the same time.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-are-better-but-so-are-the-dees-says-ex-coach-mccartney-20210526-p57vdl.html

They have the longest current drought, we have the longest drought in history.

comrade
28-05-2021, 09:35 AM
My concern is we come out flat with no crowd. I still have nightmares about rounds 1 & 2 last year.

I'm also not keen on the roof being opened, regardless of whether it rains or not. Will be a cold night and dew will set in, making it wet and slippery which has suited the Demons this year while also disadvantaging our 3 headed monster set up.

With the uncertainty of what lies ahead, it's important we win and set us up for whatever is coming over the next few rounds.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:39 AM
My concern is we come out flat with no crowd. I still have nightmares about rounds 1 & 2 last year.

I'm also not keen on the roof being opened, regardless of whether it rains or not. Will be a cold night and dew will set in, making it wet and slippery which has suited the Demons this year while also disadvantaging our 3 headed monster set up.

With the uncertainty of what lies ahead, it's important we win and set us up for whatever is coming over the next few rounds.

Yep spot on. Melbourne have had alot of luck this season. I mean come on who gets to play us at Marvel with no home crowd and the roof open!

My Dees friends are very happy about the roof, they play well in the wet/slippery conditions.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Swans were 1933 => 2005.

comrade
28-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Yep spot on. Melbourne have had alot of luck this season. I mean come on who gets to play us at Marvel with no home crowd and the roof open!

My Dees friends are very happy about the roof, they play well in the wet/slippery conditions.

It is the stupidest Covid measure I've ever heard of.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:58 AM
It is the stupidest Covid measure I've ever heard of.

Is it confirmed I've not seen it stated anywhere.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Is it confirmed I've not seen it stated anywhere.

Yes they said that yesterday

Bulldog4life
28-05-2021, 10:30 AM

Wasn't Sydney (South) the longest drought. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Happy Days
28-05-2021, 10:34 AM

Proud of Brendan for being able to mention us without immediately giving himself credit for the 2016 flag.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 10:56 AM
Melbourne AFL club all-clear, free to play in tonight's blockbuster game.

comrade
28-05-2021, 11:21 AM
Close the bloody roof!

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 11:38 AM

I share your concern. No crowd will for sure have an impact on every team. The most resilient ones will come through best so hopefully we will show some growth in this area. Who knows if the first 2 weeks last year was because of that or not. Melbourne also had a bad year last year so they might be a little down as well.

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 02:13 PM
Wasn't Sydney (South) the longest drought. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1933-2005. 72 years that's a long Bloody time.

SkyDog
28-05-2021, 02:28 PM

Concerned about the roof being open? Give me a break lol.

comrade
28-05-2021, 03:11 PM
Roof closed!

The AFL has also confirmed the Marvel Stadium roof will be closed for the mouth-watering contest, that will go ahead in front of empty stands amid Victoria's snap lockdown.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621344/open-or-closed-afl-makes-call-on-marvel-roof-for-monster-top-of-the-table-battle

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Roof closed!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/621344/open-or-closed-afl-makes-call-on-marvel-roof-for-monster-top-of-the-table-battle

Common sense prevails.

Put your feet up comrade.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 03:15 PM
Roof closed!

They heard you loud and clear

hujsh
28-05-2021, 03:33 PM
Is it too late? Will it still be dewy?

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 03:58 PM
Roof closed!

Ask and ye shall be answered Comrade.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Anyone concerned about Sweet v Gawn?

I went to the pre-season game and Martin did a great job with his body positioning especially at stoppages. Gawn was actually getting really frustrated and complained to the umpires on numerous occasions.

Be a real big test for Sweet, if he can hold his own go a long way to getting us over the line.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Anyone concerned about Sweet v Gawn?

I went to the pre-season game and Martin did a great job with his body positioning especially at stoppages. Gawn was actually getting really frustrated and complained to the umpires on numerous occasions.

Be a real big test for Sweet, if he can hold his own go a long way to getting us over the line.

Sweet was thrashed in hitouts last week by Ryder, but Ryder wasn't effective. Gawn is a different beast and he will get his tapouts to his mids. That is why we need to stick close to blokes like Oliver.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Sweet was thrashed in hitouts last week by Ryder, but Ryder wasn't effective. Gawn is a different beast and he will get his tapouts to his mids. That is why we need to stick close to blokes like Oliver.

Yeah I'm hoping he can really just nullify Gawn so their mids don't get too clear a run at it.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Yeah I'm hoping he can really just nullify Gawn so their mids don't get too clear a run at it.

4 game player, will give him some great experience.

Mantis
28-05-2021, 05:17 PM

Do you have stats to compare Gawn & Ryder for H/O to advantage or is this just gut feel?

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 05:32 PM
Do you have stats to compare Gawn & Ryder for H/O to advantage or is this just gut feel?

That's a good question I had to check.

I just did a compare on AFL stats pro (avg/game)

This season pretty close :

https://i.postimg.cc/J0k29vBD/Screenshot-20210528-162806-Chrome.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hQKsmCsc)

Over career Gawn has the edge :

https://i.postimg.cc/85FK694K/Screenshot-20210528-163137-Chrome.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9RhY3xvZ)

Bulldog Joe
28-05-2021, 05:35 PM
That's a good question I had to check.

I just did a compare on AFL stats pro (avg/game)

This season pretty close :

https://i.postimg.cc/J0k29vBD/Screenshot-20210528-162806-Chrome.jpg (https://postimg.cc/hQKsmCsc)

Over career Gawn has the edge :

https://i.postimg.cc/85FK694K/Screenshot-20210528-163137-Chrome.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9RhY3xvZ)

That is amazingly close for this season.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 05:44 PM
That is amazingly close for this season.

It's almost a carbon copy isn't it.

Gawn has played all games (10) whereas Ryder has only played 4.

comrade
28-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Ryder is just as good as Gawn as a pure ruckman, it's around the ground where big Max has an edge.

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Sweet is strong and has used that to not get totally thrashed in the ruck so far. He doesn't dominate the taps but he does enough that his opponent doesn't have it his own way. That's what we want from him tonight. If he can spread and take a few marks to make Gawn be accountable for him will help too. This will be a great learning experience for him

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Getting very, very edgy... Struggle watching from home. Poor kids they always freak out when I yell for no reason after a goal.

comrade
28-05-2021, 07:24 PM
Getting very, very edgy... Struggle watching from home. Poor kids they always freak out when I yell for no reason after a goal.

I'm a shocker at games and even worse at home. Pray for my family.

Ozza
28-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Dogs by 23 points
First goal Bruce
BOG Bailey Smith.

Think we'll see Bazlenka really go off tonight.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 07:26 PM

Try turning the sound down.

I hate watching on TV. Just saw pics of the empty stadium, jeez what a shame.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Dogs by 1
BOG: Macrae (50 touches).
FG: McNeil ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mantis
28-05-2021, 07:32 PM

That's why it's good to live solo.. pray for my neighbours!

chef
28-05-2021, 07:32 PM
Dogs by 36
FG Bruce
BOG The Bont

Ozza
28-05-2021, 07:33 PM
My one concern tonight - is Bruce/Naughton/English not firing and the Dees mark in our F50.

Extremely confident in all other areas - but its a really big night for the big boys to stand up and make sure we put their defenders under the pump.

Mantis
28-05-2021, 07:42 PM
My one concern tonight - is Bruce/Naughton/English not firing and the Dees mark in our F50.

Extremely confident in all other areas - but its a really big night for the big boys to stand up and make sure we put their defenders under the pump.

Yep.. I'm confident that Naughts will cause them enough grief, but the big Chilli and Bruce need to keep their defenders honest in the air and our smalls need to go to work defensively.

Really keen to see how we stand up against a team who will do their best to stop us playing how we want to.. we just need to find a way to overcome them.

Ghost Dog
28-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Dogs by plenty 20 plus
first goal Dale
BOG Bont

jazzadogs
28-05-2021, 08:12 PM
Interesting to see so much confidence.

We saw against the Tigers that if teams get on top of us in the middle, and can pressure us into turnovers, then we are easy to score against. This is the Demons strength, as they thrive off chaos, and it does concern me.

We really need:
- Sweet to minimise Gawn's impact
- Naughton, Bruce and English to keep the tall defenders honest. We can't afford intercept marks or simple turnovers.
- good skills. Hardly a groundbreaking idea, but if we keep our skills up (which is equally a responsibility of teammates running to the right spots and creating space for each other) then we make it much harder to score against us

Dancin' Douggy
28-05-2021, 08:15 PM

I think Naughton and Bruce have Both matured and learnt so much about playing together since last year. Bruce is rippingly fit, which he clearly wasn't last year) and he runs and runs and competes 'til the final siren. Naughton is so imposing and dangerous right now, and he's the first guy to get up and go again after a pack is split, I feel confident they will deliver a rock solid performance every week. English is the icing on the cake, and demands a serious tall defender every time he goes forward. I have a lot of respect for the Melbourne deFENSE. (Not DEfense), but I also have a lot of faith in our current tall forwards.

comrade
28-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Interesting to see so much confidence.

We saw against the Tigers that if teams get on top of us in the middle, and can pressure us into turnovers, then we are easy to score against. This is the Demons strength, as they thrive off chaos, and it does concern me.

We really need:
- Sweet to minimise Gawn's impact
- Naughton, Bruce and English to keep the tall defenders honest. We can't afford intercept marks or simple turnovers.
- good skills. Hardly a groundbreaking idea, but if we keep our skills up (which is equally a responsibility of teammates running to the right spots and creating space for each other) then we make it much harder to score against us

Timmy and McNeil in for Schache and West are game changers. The latter 2 were close to our worst that night.

Williams in to release the pressure from the back half is also a massive in and Martin was on one leg.

We had a really down night against the Tigers, we've come out the other side and should be much better placed tonight.

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Dogs by 29
First goal Bazlenka
BOG Libba

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Dogs by 15 points
First Goal Weightman
BOG Bont

bornadog
28-05-2021, 08:32 PM

Libba was on fire in the first half of the Tigers game, and then he didn't get his hands on the ball in the third, as Richmond won the CCL - Libba 1 touch.

We need a plan B if Libba isn't winning in the centre.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-05-2021, 08:34 PM
Dees by 17
FG Weightman
BOG Smith

I'm a little concerned about their ruck dominance and I think given we're missing two elite mids in Dunkley and Treloar, it'll be difficult for us to own the midfield battle.

I'm not too concerned about it, I think we're the better side fully fit but if Melbourne are a top 2-4 side they should realistically beat us on personnel tonight.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Jeanette54
28-05-2021, 08:42 PM
No predictions, just hoping for a "Dogs win, as always.

MrMahatma
28-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Why aren’t the Dees wearing their indigenous top?

bornadog
28-05-2021, 08:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2degzuVoAAON86?format=jpg&name=small

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Nervous AF. Watching at home is not my go

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 08:47 PM

True. Maybe it clashes with ours

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 08:49 PM
Butler?

jazzadogs
28-05-2021, 08:50 PM

The indigenous round covers this week and next week, so maybe they'll be wearing it next week.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-05-2021, 08:50 PM
Dogs by 11 points
1st Naughton
BOG Libba

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Well that's shit

jeemak
28-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Bailey Williams sucked to the contest there........

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Flat as a tack.

comrade
28-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Well, couldn't be a worse start.

jazzadogs
28-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Very slow start.

TV coverage already giving me the shits with the way they zoom in so tight on the ball all the time. It gives you zero context to what is actually happening.

bulldogtragic
Gotta turn this around quick, limit the damage.

jeemak
Oooooohhhh yeah Cody that was slick.

ratsmac
Better dogs!! Nice Weightman

jazzadogs
Codyyyyyy. Perfect spot for a small forward, good finish.

Started with a great tap from Sweet.

bulldogtragic
Cody is a gun.

1eyedog
Weightman is amazing.

jeemak
28-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Nice tap from Sweetie.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:00 PM
Wtf! Libba coughing it up.

jeemak
Libba that was complete bullshit. Be better than that.

comrade
What is this kicking?

1eyedog
Horrible from Libba. Just the wrong option.

Bumper Bulldogs
We are getting smashed in the guts early

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 09:01 PM
We need a crowd to get up

bulldogtragic
WTF Libba WTF

MrMahatma
2 goals result of turn overs and some horrrrrible kicking!

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 09:03 PM
Our turnovers have cost us

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:05 PM
Oliver is looking menacing.

Eastdog
28-05-2021, 09:08 PM
AstroNaught has taken off.

comrade
28-05-2021, 09:08 PM
Great work rate Naughts.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Naughts doing it at both ends.

DOG GOD
We look quite flat and turnovers costing us. Need to get those skills up

bulldogtragic
Liking Lipinski early.

1eyedog
Great work rate Naughts.

Ran the length of the ground to provide an option.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Mids are getting smashed

The Pie Man
28-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Liking Lipinski early.

Yikes he was soft in that centre clearance for Melbourne

KT31
28-05-2021, 09:12 PM
Getting smashed at stoppages.

Grantysghost
If we can even up the midfield be right back in it.

DOG GOD
Wtf are we doing ?

jazzadogs
28-05-2021, 09:13 PM
If we can even up the midfield be right back in it.

If we can stop turning it over that would definitely help as well. Dumb.

Mantis
Could we actually kick the ball any worse?

comrade
We're just handing it to them.

bulldogsthru&thru
I’m about to turn off with these turnovers

bulldogtragic
Why are we gifting them easy goals?

Grantysghost
Turnover city. Melbourne field position behind the ball and pressure forcing it.

Bumper Bulldogs
Gee wiz. Yep goals directly from intercept marks directly from our poor kicks

ratsmac
How many gifts are we going give them. That was disgraceful by Macrae

KT31
Another terrible turnover, Bevo will be ropable.

angelopetraglia
28-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Stupid turnovers. So costly. Trying to be too cute.

jeemak
Can we *!*!*!*!en pretend that we have defencive intent in the centre square. Just for kicks?

comrade
Can we win a clearance?

The Pie Man
28-05-2021, 09:15 PM
That kick to Spargo was maybe 7 metres

ratsmac
We are in all sorts

MrMahatma
Could we actually kick the ball any worse?

I don’t think so

jeemak
Lazy, millionaire bullshit at the moment.

bulldogsthru&thru
Yeah this is basically round 1/2 of last year. We can’t play without a crowd.

Bumper Bulldogs
We are just not switched on tonight. We need one of those Bevo tickets real quick

bulldogtragic
Over. 40+ at this rate.

DOG GOD
I’m afraid to say that this is looking like “one of those games”.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Look really flat thus far.

kruder
So poor defensively, looking to avoid contact tonight.

The Pie Man
9 scoring shots to 4. We’re not handling it RN

ratsmac
28-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Dees have come to play while we look like we are we are 2nd rate

jazzadogs
It's very '3rd quarter against the Tigers' at the moment.

The Pie Man
Referred pressure’s got us so far

Eastdog
28-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Cmon Dogs!

Grantysghost
Brayshaw won't be able to stand up at qtr time.

Bumper Bulldogs
Smith dropped the ball then Williams miss kick another goal I feel

comrade
What a horror show.

1eyedog
I can't watch its burning out my eyes.

SonofScray
Jesus, what a night to decide we can’t kick and won’t defend.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
3 bloody times we've kicked across field and been intercepted.
Wake up boys.

bulldogtragic
What the *!*!*!*!

Bumper Bulldogs
28-05-2021, 09:18 PM
How’d did Naughton not get a 50 then

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:19 PM
Lost the plot.

Mantis
Bailey Dale has shit the bed!

comrade
Libba having a mare.

Dale going to water under pressure.

whythelongface
Game over

ratsmac
OMG we are just about done here

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 09:20 PM
27 points down already. *!*!*!*! me dead.

Grantysghost
Bont playing?

Bumper Bulldogs
We need the Bont right now. He needs to impose himself just before 1/4 time

whythelongface
Midfield getting smashed. Panicking with the ball

jeemak
28-05-2021, 09:21 PM
I don't think you can kick it worse.

ReLoad
We’re cooked!

Grantysghost
This has a wiff of GWS final.

chef
Maybe lockdown worked alright and i didnt waste my time.

DOG GOD
28-05-2021, 09:22 PM
Our worst performance of the year. Team were laughing etc coming through the tunnel onto the ground. My bro said “I dont like the look of that”.

FrediKanoute
28-05-2021, 09:22 PM
Glad I am going to Chessington this afternoon!

angelopetraglia
28-05-2021, 09:23 PM
Worst quarter for the year. We did not turn up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
If ever Bevo has a bake in him to give, this is the time.

comrade
Couldn't be more disappointed.

angelopetraglia
28-05-2021, 09:24 PM
How can we turn it over so bad under zero pressure so many times? Drinking our own bath water.

bulldogtragic
If ever Bevo has a bake in him to give, this is the time.

Nah. Just tell them to do the exact opposite.

Mantis
I think we’ve made more basic errors in that qtr than we have all year.... need to tidy up our possession and stop panicking!

whythelongface
28-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Bevo needs to get a rocket up them. Oliver is killing us.

Naughton and Cordy our best