PDA

View Full Version : Best Player From Another Club

The Coon Dog
13-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Who are the best players we have got from each of the other AFL clubs? I'm sure there are some I've missed. I still reckon we're well behind the ledger when you look at who we let go.

Adelaide: The only 2 we have ever got from there are Ben Hudson & Scott Welsh.
Brisbane: Probably Aker, tho DR will pump up the 'Ugg Boot's' tyres.
Carlton: I thought we got a bit out of James Cooke & Phil Maylin too, but I'll go with Cookie.
Collingwood: Many went the other way, but it's slim pickings in reverse. Todd Curley went back to WA before we snared him, so maybe it's Josh Mahoney?
Essendon: Budgie was good in '85
Fitzroy: Gotta be Peter Foster.
Fremantle: Hunter, Koops, Bandy, Wills, NO. I'd go with Brad Wira.
Geelong: Probably Bluey Hampshire or Matty Robbins, I'd go Robbo.
Hawthorn: Loved Paul Hudson when he came across, a real dead eye dick.
Melbourne: Have to be 'Lally' Bamblett.
North Melbourne: Libba, then Jose.
Port Adelaide: The Bald Eagle.
Richmond: Marty McMillan, who we swapped for Geoff Raines anyone? OK, then it's Terry Wallace ahead of Ben Harrison & Emmett Dunne.
St.Kilda: I thought we got great service out of Bruce Duperouzel & liked the season from Nicky Winmar.
South Melbourne/Sydney: Many years ago, but Stewie Magee for me, but Simon Garlick & Glenn Coleman weren't bad either.
West Coast: I guess it's hard to go past Robbie West's 7 games for us!

hujsh
13-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't believe that Libba and Jose(romerao i presume) came Kangas

Mofra
13-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Collingwood: Many went the other way, but it's slim pickings in reverse. Todd Curley went back to WA before we snared him, so maybe it's Josh Mahoney?

I'd still claim Curley, even if he was an unlucky footballer

I Thought Wira was traded to Freo? Granty's best mate, don't think he ever forgave Wallet for that one.

The Coon Dog
13-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I'd still claim Curley, even if he was an unlucky footballer

I Thought Wira was traded to Freo? Granty's best mate, don't think he ever forgave Wallet for that one.

Yeah, he went back, but we originally got him from there. His original stint as a Docker yielded just 1 game.

Rocket Science
13-03-2008, 09:48 PM

They're indeed both former Roos.

And Wira came from Freo, did a stint with us, then ended up back there. Handy little defender in his day.

Mofra
13-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah, he went back, but we originally got him from there. His original stint as a Docker yielded just 1 game.
Fair enough, didn't realise.

FWIW are we claiming Scotty Wynd from North? He did play U19s there. If so I'd have him slightly ahead of the wog squad.

GVGjr
13-03-2008, 10:55 PM
We got Osborne from the Swans didn't we?
Coleman was better than many gave him credit for.

Rocket Science
13-03-2008, 11:49 PM
any love for Simon-Minton Connell from the Blues?

Talk about scraping the barrel.

Sockeye Salmon
13-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Libba never played seniors for North but Jose played more than 100 games for them!

Desipura
14-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Who are the best players we have got from each of the other AFL clubs? I'm sure there are some I've missed. I still reckon we're well behind the ledger when you look at who we let go.

Adelaide: The only 2 we have ever got from there are Ben Hudson & Scott Welsh.
Brisbane: Probably Aker, tho DR will pump up the 'Ugg Boot's' tyres.
Carlton: I thought we got a bit out of James Cooke & Phil Maylin too, but I'll go with Cookie.
Essendon: Budgie was good in '85
Fitzroy: Gotta be Peter Foster.
Geelong: Probably Bluey Hampshire or Matty Robbins, I'd go Robbo.
Hawthorn: Loved Paul Hudson when he came across, a real dead eye dick.
Melbourne: Have to be 'Lally' Bamblett.
North Melbourne: Libba, then Jose.
Port Adelaide: The Bald Eagle.
Richmond: Marty McMillan, who we swapped for Geoff Raines anyone? OK, then it's Terry Wallace ahead of Ben Harrison & Emmett Dunne.
St.Kilda: I thought we got great service out of Bruce Duperouzel & liked the season from Nicky Winmar.
South Melbourne/Sydney: Many years ago, but Stewie Magee for me, but Simon Garlick & Glenn Coleman weren't bad either.
West Coast: I guess it's hard to go past Robbie West's 7 games for us!
Gee Dean Chiron and Tim Gepp would be pi$$ed off:rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2008, 10:40 AM
We got Osborne from the Swans didn't we?
Coleman was better than many gave him credit for.

Stewie Magee was better.

Stewie ended up captain when EJ gave it away, I think.

LostDoggy
14-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Mark Kellet was better than Duper at the bulldogs.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2008, 11:16 AM
This is something completely unrelated, so I apologise TCD...but I was reading something earlier today regarding the first ever VFL Draft - which was subsequently challenged in the Supreme Court and banished from the history records - we drafted one Neil Craig from Sturt. Geelong used a form four(?) to draft Tony McGuiness whom we subsequently paid a transfer fee to, and received in the first ever official draft of 1986.

If anyone can give me any further information that would be great!

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2008, 11:29 AM
This is something completely unrelated, so I apologise TCD...but I was reading something earlier today regarding the first ever VFL Draft - which was subsequently challenged in the Supreme Court and banished from the history records - we drafted one Neil Craig from Sturt. Geelong used a form four(?) to draft Tony McGuiness whom we subsequently paid a transfer fee to, and received in the first ever official draft of 1986.

If anyone can give me any further information that would be great!

We drafted Simon Tregenza from memory as well.

Neil Craig had no intention of ever coming to Victoria and told anyone who bothered to ask him. Apparently we never bothered to ask him, in fact up until we drafted him he had never spoken to anyone from our club.

The Coon Dog
14-03-2008, 11:41 AM
We drafted Simon Tregenza from memory as well.

Neil Craig had no intention of ever coming to Victoria and told anyone who bothered to ask him. Apparently we never bothered to ask him, in fact up until we drafted him he had never spoken to anyone from our club.
I heard Neil Craig interviewed about this & he said one of the major reasons he remained in Adelaide was that his wife was a school teacher & she had just secured a lucrative job.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for that bit of background guys.

aker39
14-03-2008, 12:16 PM
his wife was a school teacher & she had just secured a lucrative job.

School teacher and lucrative job - not possible

bornadog
14-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Wallace did a good job for us as a player. Had a great season in 1990 and helped the midfield no end.