PDA

View Full Version : 18 clubs. Does it affect us?

hujsh
13-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Apparently all 16 club presidents have voted for the 17th and 18th clubs.:eek: How does it affect us? Obviously there will be allot less "the bulldogs are going to West Sydney" talk. Does it mean there is less money for us in terms of sponsorship? The draw should be more accurate. What do you reckon?

GVGjr
13-03-2008, 08:37 PM
It's interesting that the 18 clubs have all supported this.

The concerns I have are:

Is the depth of AFL standard footballers really there to support another 80 players?
When I look at the lists of the majority of teams I don't think the depth is there. The modern game has become very quick and very technical and I think we are in a transition period where the depth is being tested.

After the license fees are divvied back to the clubs, which is an obvious attraction to the struggling Victorian teams, will this ensure their ling term survival?

I don't know what the answers are but they are the questions I have.

The Coon Dog
13-03-2008, 08:49 PM
My biggest concern is which players do we have to give up? The AFL will ensure both new teams are successful (or at least competitive) & the ideal way is to have ready made players from day 1.

hujsh
13-03-2008, 09:04 PM
My biggest concern is which players do we have to give up? The AFL will ensure both new teams are successful (or at least competitive) & the ideal way is to have ready made players from day 1.

Any club that gives away players needs draft pick compensation.

FrediKanoute
13-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Any club that gives away players needs draft pick compensation.

But after the new sides get the first 10 picks in a draft........The club needs to ensure that its players are signed up and not coming out of contract when the time comes for the new sides to be created!

hujsh
13-03-2008, 09:11 PM
But after the new sides get the first 10 picks in a draft........The club needs to ensure that its players are signed up and not coming out of contract when the time comes for the new sides to be created!

I thought the idea was to snatch players from other clubs, not wait till they came out of contract.

Just typing that sounds stupid.

Raw Toast
13-03-2008, 09:12 PM

This is one of my fears, though if we could employ Kevin Sheedy to do a bit of wheeling and dealing for us over this I wouldn't mind - he had a habit of building up the Dons list when everyone else felt were being ripped off. Didn't he get Lloyd and perhaps even Lucas when Freo and Port entered the comp?

hujsh
13-03-2008, 09:15 PM
This is one of my fears, though if we could employ Kevin Sheedy to do a bit of wheeling and dealing for us over this I wouldn't mind - he had a habit of building up the Dons list when everyone else felt were being ripped off. Didn't he get Lloyd and perhaps even Lucas when Freo and Port entered the comp?

Got the no.1 pick i think, which was Lloyd.

BulldogBelle
13-03-2008, 10:24 PM
It's interesting that the 18 clubs have all supported this.

After the license fees are divvied back to the clubs, which is an obvious attraction to the struggling Victorian teams, will this ensure their ling term survival?

For sure the AFL has dangled other carrots infront of all the existing teams to sell the idea of introducing the two new teams.

For us the license fee amount that comes our way through the induction of these two teams will help us and the other struggling teams as for long term survival only time will tell.

BulldogBelle
14-03-2008, 08:11 AM
My main concern is loseing players. Some teams are going to lose some good players out of all this. Hopefully they limit the number of players from the other clubs that can be taken.

Maybe 2 players from the top 8 and 1 from the bottom 8?

Will this affect the draft within the next few years. l assume they will be able to start drafting well b4 the teams start playing. Probably getting priority picks.

And of course money, hopefully a bigger pie with TV rights so we will not lose out here.

So does this now leave Canberra instead of Gold Coast for the next failed melbourne club?

Desipura
14-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I know one thing it wont be a Craig Somerville type:D

Dancin' Douggy
14-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't think we've got too much to worry about. I imagine we'd only lose Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Lake, Gilbee, Everitt, Higgins Cross, Williams and Grant.;)

Dancin' Douggy
14-03-2008, 10:36 AM
IMAGINE RICHMOND'S PAIN IF NEXT YEARS NUMBER ONE PICK GOES TO A YET TO BE ESTABLISHED CLUB!!!!!!!! MMMWWWOOAAHAHAHA (long drawn out evil gloating laugh)

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2008, 10:38 AM
We have a lot of Queenslanders and I think it's fair to assume we will be targetted as well - the (financially) weak always are.

Aker is too old
Hudson is originally from Vic so he'll be OK, will be too old in 2011 anyway.
O'Shea is from Rockhampton. That's still a long way from the Gold Coast but closer than Melbourne.
Harbrow is from Cairns, see O'Shea.

If I were running the GC franchise I would be targetting Williams and Hahn & maybe Reid and Mulligan (if they show anything between now and then).

Addison is from Sydney as well.

bornadog
14-03-2008, 02:34 PM
In the long term, this means that any club that isnot financially viable in Melbourne, only has two paths to follow, merge or fold. I don't believe there will be the option to transfer interstate, unless they go to Tassie.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm a bit skeptical about the whole thing at this stage, however for the long-term I can see the benefits of extending the game to different regions.

Not too sure exactly how it would effect us, and what sort of establishment deals the AFL would allow for the new franchises. Will be interesting to follow over the next few years, but if the move has the club presidents support, I'm in favor.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.......

The AFL will want to avoid another Brisbane Bears fiasco and near bankruptsy of the Sydney Swans. To achieve this they CANNOT start a team from scratch with no "Marquee" players otherwise who is going to come along and watch them be humiliated each week? Similarly Foxtel/Commercial Networks are NOT goign to pay $$$ to show amateur football.

The only way around this is to provide them with the ability to sign "UNCONTRACTED" players. if we take this year as an example uncontracted players included:

Judd
Charman
Hasleby
Seaby
Kosi
Morten (Mitch)
Chick
Bolton
Lade
Gardiner (Charlie)
Headland
McPharlin
Farmer
J.Smith
B.Dixon
Shaw
Fraser
McMahon

That's a fairly decent list of players and if you split that between 2 clubs then its a fair base to work from. Put simply the AFL will not let what happened with the Bears (precursor to the Lions) again.....it wont be a case of every club "donating" 2 players each all of which are pretty much duds!

Dry Rot
16-03-2008, 08:56 PM
In the long term, this means that any club that isnot financially viable in Melbourne, only has two paths to follow, merge or fold. I don't believe there will be the option to transfer interstate, unless they go to Tassie.

Good point.

And has the AFL actually publicly explained how the 2 new teams will get their playing list together?

LostDoggy
16-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes where are these 80 extra players going to come from?

The Underdog
17-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes where are these 80 extra players going to come from?

Existing lists, uncontracted players, junior grades (ie, the 2 new teams getting the cream of the draft picks for a few years), also allowed access to the local juniors for a couple of years too I would imagine. The AFL will bugger around with drafting and access to players rules to make these teams as strong as possible on the field s quickly as possible.
Ad if you were referring to the depth of talent in the comp, well that will probably suffer too.

GVGjr
17-03-2008, 10:29 AM
if you were referring to the depth of talent in the comp, well that will probably suffer too.

Thats my query with this. At the moment I don't think the depth of the AFL competition is that great and another 80 players will spread the competition too thin.

The TAC and state based programme's are strong but there is a huge gap between that and being an AFL standard player.

LostDoggy
17-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Existing lists, uncontracted players, junior grades (ie, the 2 new teams getting the cream of the draft picks for a few years), also allowed access to the local juniors for a couple of years too I would imagine. The AFL will bugger around with drafting and access to players rules to make these teams as strong as possible on the field s quickly as possible.
Ad if you were referring to the depth of talent in the comp, well that will probably suffer too.

Unless they are mostly these 2 and good ones at that, It will be at least 5 years before these teams will be competitive.
Say they draft 10 rookies per team. 30 players would be from the other clubs. Almost 2 per team. Double that for 2 new clubs.

The Underdog
17-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Unless they are mostly these 2 and good ones at that, It will be at least 5 years before these teams will be competitive.
Say they draft 10 rookies per team. 30 players would be from the other clubs. Almost 2 per team. Double that for 2 new clubs.

So say each team loses 4 players to the new teams, then has to replace them with guys who are picked up after the new teams have had 2 picks in each round plus already own 3 years worth of youngsters from their own territories (more an issue in Qld than NSW, where the talent is getting better). Existing teams will lose talent and depth and have to replace it with guys who may not have been considered AFL quality under pre-expansion circumstances. The new teams will not be competitive straight away, but the old teams will also will come back to their standard a little as well, as the talent on their lists lessens to meet the new teams in the middle.

Dry Rot
18-03-2008, 12:23 PM
So say each team loses 4 players to the new teams

How will that work?

And the draft priorities will have an uneven effect on existing clubs at differing points in the cycle eg Club A has just been rebuilding before this, so has good stocks of young players, Club B was really good for many years, now in decline and needs to rebuild, and can't.

The Underdog
18-03-2008, 02:02 PM
How will that work?

And the draft priorities will have an uneven effect on existing clubs at differing points in the cycle eg Club A has just been rebuilding before this, so has good stocks of young players, Club B was really good for many years, now in decline and needs to rebuild, and can't.

The existing clubs would have a certain number of players they could protect, then the 2new teams would be able to pick from the others, maximum of 4 from each club. Not saying that is what will happen, but don't be surprised. The new teams will also be able to trade their draft picks for existing players, which will be tempting for them. Expect to also see top players from clubs being offered longer contracts to get them past the entry of the expansion teams.
I don't think the AFL will be too worried about your scenario. Club B will therefore be closer to the level of the expansion teams making them look better earlier.