PDA

View Full Version : We're 7-1. Does anyone think we can beat Port?

mjp
12-05-2021, 10:26 AM
So - you aren't allowed to add in any caveats about team selection or player availability (aka no English or Hunter mentions etc)...it is just a simple question.

We are off to Adelaide to play the Power.

Our interstate record (and I haven't looked it up) "feels" like it has been crap in recent times.

Port are awesome and have been so for a solid 12-months or so...

Can we win or not???

SonofScray
12-05-2021, 10:27 AM
Yes. Yes we can.

mjp
12-05-2021, 10:29 AM
Yes. Yes we can.

You're too fast...I was adding a poll!

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2021, 10:36 AM
While our record interstate has been below standard, I feel that is more a Perth thing where we never seem to win. (special 2016 performance excepted)

We have performed pretty well against Port over time and were very close last year.

We can win,

bornadog
12-05-2021, 10:37 AM
I think we can, we have done it before.

The last two games in Adelaide are one all, with last year's game a loss by 13 points when Port were flying on top of the ladder. We have improved this year to last, but Port is travelling about the same as last year, if not a little worse with two decent losses to date.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 10:37 AM
We have performed ok v Port at Adelaide Oval in recent times:

2020: a close loss in a tight tussle after a brief lapse (the story of 2020).
2019: an excellent win
2018: got smashed
2016: got up in a thriller (I was there)

Also Port have something like a 50% record coming off the showdown under Hinkley. That combined with all this prison bar hoo-ha may leave them a little flat. Important we get off to a good start.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2021, 10:42 AM
As Axe Man, we've no better opportunity than getting them coming off a showdown.
I have my doubts that we're ready, but there's no doubt that we're capable if we click from the get go.
In many respects this is a more important challenge than when we played Richmond. This will tell us whether we've yet learned and put into place any learnings from that experience.

1eyedog
12-05-2021, 10:43 AM
No I don't think we can. Like Richmond Port can bring a sustained level of pressure that will really trouble us. I have been concerned about our consistency since the second half of the Suns game. I think they actually just won that second half.

The GWS game was a great, grinding win but we were troubled at times by a team missing its big stars, they played ALOT of kids that game. The week after as we know got ugly after half time and Carlton had us by the short and curlies midway through the third. They missed a heap of opportunities to really squeeze us and put the game beyond doubt, but they're a developing (lazy) team and couldn't / wouldn't sustain their work rate. Port are a completely different beast. They have their tails up and are playing at home. It's a big ask.

Look, I mean it may rain and turn the game into a jelly wrestle which could give us a sniff but, ultimately, I am just too concerned about our defence (CHB), coupled with the likelihood our much vaunted midfield will go missing again. We'll seriously need to streamline our F50 entries because on Sunday we just kicked it to Weitering too many times. Allir will just gobble that up. We don't have a CHB, we are too inconsistent entering F50 and our midfield has been getting distracted for too many minutes over the past month to give us a realistic chance of winning.

Of course happy to be proven wrong and I have no issue regarding where we are currently placed. It's not all doom and gloom, the games we have won over the past 4 weeks are golden, banking those 4 points is huge in the broader context. I just don't think we can get the chocolates this week. We'll likely drop off for too many minutes and if / when we do Port will be ruthless.

ratsmac
12-05-2021, 10:46 AM
They have a few good players who will miss but so do we. If we play a solid 4 quarter effort I think we will win by about 3 goals.

Grantysghost
12-05-2021, 10:47 AM
I've got the Han Solo's about this one (really bad feeling). We looked so disorganised last week, it was really terrible until our amazing midfield wore down a very average Blues one. We won't be able to get away with it against Port.

Having said that, I'm expecting we worked on some things and we will be ready as we can be.

I'm going option c. Within a kick.

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 10:57 AM
I dunno. On paper absolutely, but Port are pretty good at home, and play a style/have personnel that traditionally gives us problems. Dixon is in horrific form but since when has that really mattered.

I feel like we play Adelaide Oval pretty well though, and will hopefully have the ability to select a more capable defence. Hopefully the week they’ve spent tied up in nefarious bullshit has left them all out of stories to make up to get involved in this game.

1eyedog
12-05-2021, 10:58 AM
I'll be satisfied if we go down but maintain the rage and actually put in a 4QT effort. That will speak volumes in terms of where we're at, what we want to be, how we see ourselves. The competition is so even (14th two games out of the top 4?) and look at the Dees. Struggled against Norf for 3.5QT in Tassie a few weeks ago. It's tight.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 11:04 AM
Yes, we can beat anyone on our day.
My main concern is the second or third tall forward getting us - we need to win the inside 50 count for us to win.

Against Carlton we actually adjusted our midfield set up after halftime (ignore the "no plan B" talk, it's nonsense) and would often set up with all our midfielders defending the Carlton side of the stoppage at the centre bounce. It was an interesting tactic that won't be as effective against Port.

bornadog
12-05-2021, 11:10 AM
I looked at the stats so far this year (I know, I know, they don't tell the full picture). We lead most of the important stats in the whole competition, except CP (we are 3rd, Port 2nd by one). The interesting ones are Clearances and centre clearances where we are first but Port is way down ie 11th and 8th. Similarly, Stoppage clearances shows Port at 10th to our 4th.

The one stat that we are bad at is Rebound 50s where we are bottom of the league with Port middle of table again. Our movement out of the backline has come right down in the past three matches, especially with Williams out.

Marks inside 50 we are killing the competition with 126 and the next best Dockers 115, and Port 111.

The other stat that is not so hot is intercept marks where we sit 13th and Port 3rd, so we need to make sure we hit our targets.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 11:14 AM
The one stat that we are bad at is Rebound 50s where we are bottom of the league with Port middle of table again. Our movement out of the backline has come right down in the past three matches, especially with Williams out.

Without looking up the stats I assume we are close to the top in not allowing opposition inside 50s, therefore it's difficult to rebound from 50 if it doesn't get there.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Without looking up the stats I assume we are close to the top in not allowing opposition inside 50s, therefore it's difficult to rebound from 50 if it doesn't get there.
It also doesn't help when our KPDs are more likely to punch than be in a position to intercept mark.
Keath can do it when he's released to play a no 2 role, Cordy doesn't do it, Garnder rarely and Young only does it when there are no opponents around him.

Grantysghost
12-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Yes, we can beat anyone on our day.
My main concern is the second or third tall forward getting us - we need to win the inside 50 count for us to win.

Against Carlton we actually adjusted our midfield set up after halftime (ignore the "no plan B" talk, it's nonsense) and would often set up with all our midfielders defending the Carlton side of the stoppage at the centre bounce. It was an interesting tactic that won't be as effective against Port.

We changed the personnel in there too with Bailey Smith attending more than he had all season I believe.
Similar to the Eagles game when Treloar went into the middle in the last quarter.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 11:23 AM
It also doesn't help when our KPDs are more likely to punch than be in a position to intercept mark.
Keath can do it when he's released to play a no 2 role, Cordy doesn't do it, Garnder rarely and Young only does it when there are no opponents around him.

Isn't a rebound 50 simply the ball exiting our defensive 50 (a reverse inside 50)? Basically every entry that doesn't result in a goal (or the quarter ending) will be a rebound 50?

It might be a slow rebound but it's still a rebound as long as the opposition don't kick a goal.

bornadog
12-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Isn't a rebound 50 simply the ball exiting our defensive 50 (a reverse inside 50)? Basically every entry that doesn't result in a goal (or the quarter ending) will be a rebound 50?

It might be a slow rebound but it's still a rebound as long as the opposition don't kick a goal.

From AFL site:

REBOUND 50 - Moving the ball from the defensive zone into the midfield.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 11:36 AM

It is, but we seem to be getting rebound 50s from our smalls (IIRC Dale & Williams were getting high stats in the area) but other top teams have talls and mid sizers/small contributing.

Dale is statting as just about the best 'general' defender in the comp this year.

Scraggers
12-05-2021, 11:42 AM
Yeah ... I'd love to say we've got this, but Port are really good at home. If we were in our round 3 form I think we could knock them off, but not on last week's performance.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Going semantics, more will we rather than can we.

The confidence is quite low for a team that is 7-1 and beat Power last time on their own deck. Clearly we are a chance, but they are the favourites.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 11:46 AM
It is, but we seem to be getting rebound 50s from our smalls (IIRC Dale & Williams were getting high stats in the area) but other top teams have talls and mid sizers/small contributing.

Dale is statting as just about the best 'general' defender in the comp this year.

True, but that is more relevant to the intercept marks and intercept possession stats, not rebound 50s.

Rebound 50s only tell us how often the ball goes inside defensive 50 and doesn't result in an opposition goal. Being last in rebound 50s is a good thing so long as your percentage of goals per inside 50 conceded is also low.

The Pie Man
12-05-2021, 11:47 AM
We were stiff to go down over there last season, and if you’re only as good as your last quarter...

On the other hand, how good are they at home, and how slack were Carlton in the last 30 minutes on Sunday?

I’ll tip a loss, but it should be a cracking game.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2021, 11:54 AM
True, but that is more relevant to the intercept marks and intercept possession stats, not rebound 50s.

Rebound 50s only tell us how often the ball goes inside defensive 50 and doesn't result in an opposition goal. Being last in rebound 50s is a good thing so long as your percentage of goals per inside 50 conceded is also low.

Being last in rebound 50's is also a product of being last in Inside 50s conceded, which was your previous point.

I believe we do concede scores when opposition get inside 50 which is also a consequence of defending high to prevent inside 50s.

Ozza
12-05-2021, 12:01 PM
I think we will win.

In last years match we actually had more shots at goal than Port (5.12 to 8.7) and broke even in most areas except for contested marks (21-6). Dixon and Georgiadis took 8 between them, whilst we had Bruce only get 2 possessions, Naughton didn't play, and Wallis didn't have an impact. I think with Naughton, Bruce and English up forward, we pose a different threat this year.

If we defend well enough as a team, including the mids, and bring an attitude that matches Port's ferocity, then I think we will have too much for them.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
We got this.

GVGjr
12-05-2021, 12:27 PM
I respect Port because they're a good overall team with a bit of firepower up forward and a mix of talented youngsters.
At home I regard them as a bit of a force but I think we should start as favorites

Looking forward to this game but I think we will nab it by 14 points.

jeemak
12-05-2021, 12:46 PM

But remember, not allowing the opposition to enter our defencive fifty is apparently a bad thing.

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 12:53 PM
But remember, not allowing the opposition to enter our defencive fifty is apparently a bad thing.

Yep. Shows signs of cowardice and an unwillingness to be scored against for the good of the competition.

The Doctor
12-05-2021, 12:57 PM
I think we can take them down. We are a good team.

Ports record this year is

5 good wins by an ave of 50 points vs bottom eight teams (North, Ess, Carlton. Saints, Crows)

2 beltings by contending teams for the finals (West Coast &Brisbane) away from home

1 narrow win vs Richmond by 2 points at home

They have won all their home games.

Seem like flat track bullies to me. It will be tough to play them at home but we have the firepower to hurt them. I'll take the 'we can squeak it out option'

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2021, 01:43 PM
With the question being can rather than will it is clear we can.
Port, Dees and Geelong atm are the trio to beat and Port at home is as difficult as it gets but we can win with a four quarter effort and efficient transitions to our forwards.
English will help.

The Pie Man
12-05-2021, 02:01 PM
One of my favourite H & A games of 2016 was Port in Adelaide.

This is easy game of the round.

Assuming Sweet will keep his spot, he’ll be thrilled to play to a near full house at AO. His continued development in the centre will be fascinating, he got shaded for hit outs last Sunday but we dominated centre clearances.

Lycett’s a big out

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 02:25 PM
One of my favourite H & A games of 2016 was Port in Adelaide.

That game ruled. Really high level of skill from both teams and won by our star players seizing the moment. I’ve gone back and watched it a few times.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 02:39 PM
Our set-up defends as high (or higher) than other clubs, I assume that has an impact as well.

bornadog
12-05-2021, 02:53 PM
That game ruled. Really high level of skill from both teams and won by our star players seizing the moment. I’ve gone back and watched it a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MqDfLWCxc&ab_channel=AFL

MrMahatma
12-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Feels like the kind of match we lose after putting in a good effort. But I’ll still tip us!

The Pie Man
12-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Dogs win an epic!

So good

Has Dixon ever not turned up to play us? Always a big worry

Happy Days
12-05-2021, 03:13 PM

That’s the one. Nothing makes me feel like I’ve travelled through time like seeing Stringer in full flight.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 03:48 PM

Only game I've seen live at the Adelaide Oval, will probably find it hard to top.

Has Dixon ever not turned up to play us? Always a big worry

Yeah, in his first season for the Suns, did bugger all! :D

bulldogsthru&thru
12-05-2021, 03:59 PM
I remember last year our biggest downfall was poor inside 50 entries. They picked off so many. Really hoping English gets up but Naughton and Bruce are in much better form so hopefully we take more of our chances.

Bulldog Joe
12-05-2021, 06:41 PM
That’s the one. Nothing makes me feel like I’ve travelled through time like seeing Stringer in full flight.

That was probably his last really good game for us.

soupman
12-05-2021, 06:55 PM

Best game I've been to that wasn't a final. Was perfect.

DOG GOD
12-05-2021, 06:55 PM
I don’t think we can. Our last 3 games against GWS, Rich and Carlton have showed patches where lack of defensive pressure has been paramount. If we play like we did in the first 3 quarters against Carlton this Saturday night, we have no chance of coming back. They will bring continued pressure, and that met with the home crowd will prove too much on the night.

Axe Man
12-05-2021, 07:00 PM
I don’t think we can. Our last 3 games against GWS, Rich and Carlton have showed patches where lack of defensive pressure has been paramount. If we play like we did in the first 3 quarters against Carlton this Saturday night, we have no chance of coming back. They will bring continued pressure, and that met with the home crowd will prove too much on the night.

Have you tipped us to win a game yet this year? ;)

DOG GOD
12-05-2021, 07:05 PM
Have you tipped us to win a game yet this year? ;)

Against the Kangas I certainly did :)

Regarding the Port game, I expect it to be within 3 goals IF we can bring that defensive pressure. Dixon still poses a massive task for our defence. I’m hopeful, but the home ground advantage will most likely get them over the line. Hope I’m wrong.

The problem for me if that we are rarely playing 4 quarters, and against the really good teams, you need to.

EasternWest
12-05-2021, 07:24 PM
Dixon is in horrific form but since when has that really mattered.

I hear Lukas Markovic is an in for this game.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-05-2021, 08:23 PM
We match up pretty well, we will win as long as Dixon doesn't get off the chain. So the match winner will be Keith and he will not kick a Goal.

1eyedog
12-05-2021, 10:27 PM
Lots of optimism on here. Good to see.

Can we win this MJP?

FrediKanoute
12-05-2021, 10:59 PM
I like our chances. We match up well.

Before I Die
12-05-2021, 11:41 PM
Absolutely we can. I’ve tipped the correct result for our games 7 out of 8 times this season so I am feeling very confident. I’m pretty sure that makes me a much more reliable tipper than many of the negative nellies (no offence intended) on the board.

Vred
13-05-2021, 12:49 AM
If English and Hunter play, yes. If they're both out, no.

mjp
13-05-2021, 09:43 AM
If English and Hunter play, yes. If they're both out, no.

What happened too "So - you aren't allowed to add in any caveats about team selection or player availability (aka no English or Hunter mentions etc)...it is just a simple question."

Topdog
13-05-2021, 12:38 PM
I'm confident and actually much happier than most about the Carlton game.

We are still trying to work out how best to cover Dunks and the new structure needed in the midfield

Have seen some selections that have failed miserably up front (West, Schache) as well as JJ struggling to adapt there.

Also some struggles with Williams out down back and the half back flankers having problems adjusting with Crozier out of form.

An excellent last 45 minutes of football for me is a big plus and positive sign that the players are figuring it out.

Ghost Dog
13-05-2021, 04:25 PM
Should win

Ladhams / Hayes not as good as English or Martin I'd say.
Bont is better than Boak
Libba is on par or a bit better than Wines
Smith is better than Amon ( from what I have seen )
Macrae is having a better year than Gray ( from the little I have seen ).
Pepper V Treloar I'd have Treloar.
Hunter V Houston, no idea.

chef
13-05-2021, 09:20 PM
Yeah why not, we have a Bont.

Eastdog
13-05-2021, 09:32 PM
We can do it for sure. Would be a season defining win away from home.

whythelongface
13-05-2021, 10:02 PM
I think we can. Like 2016 we can steal a victory. It will be close and it will test our resolve but we have the team that can get over Port.

Vred
14-05-2021, 12:22 AM
What happened too "So - you aren't allowed to add in any caveats about team selection or player availability (aka no English or Hunter mentions etc)...it is just a simple question."

Honestly, didn't read the first post, was skimming through real quick whilst I was on the bog at work, my bad.

Yes, we can win. Done.

jazzadogs
14-05-2021, 12:40 AM
Of course we CAN beat Port, but that doesn't mean that we will. I'm a bit surprised at this talk of how we will collapse for a quarter, or not be able to handle their sustained pressure, like as though there is no chance that the same will happen to Port - who have been comfortably beaten by Brisbane and West Coast.

Keath on Dixon, Cordy on Marshall, Buku on Georgiadis, with Williams back to steady the defence. We cannot let Fantasia (Wood pls), Rozee, Gray, Motlop get out the back of contests like we did in the 2nd/3rd quarters against Carlton.

Naughton and Bruce, +/- English, to compete and either mark or bring to ground EVERY high ball in the F50 - assuming our midfielders actually kick it to them.

As with all of our games, the midfield and their connections with our forwards will be key to winning the match. We need to be 'on' with our skills, or else open up our defenders to crap goals on the turnover - Orazio will be licking his lips about some cheapies.

Lycett out is a loss, but Ladhams is no slouch. Dan Houston has been having a good year through the midfield but is in doubt with a sore shoulder. It might come down to contributions from our bottom 6 (JJ, Hannan, Scott, McNeill, Khamis, Sweet) vs their bottom 6 (I'm guessing but Bergman, Frederick, Farrell, Drew...i can't pick another two, maybe they are a stronger side?)

The Adelaide Connection
14-05-2021, 02:21 AM
If it was at Marvel I would see it as a real 50-50 game, but I am less than confident whenever we play here.

I think right now they are the benchmark, it’s a seemingly big home ground advantage and it ALWAYS pisses down. I know there is no rain forecast, but I don’t believe it.

We got them two years ago in a real ‘against all odds’ style effort and never say never, but I think their forwards will get hold of us a little and will be more efficient with their opportunities, which will be the difference..

DOG GOD
14-05-2021, 09:12 AM
Normally Dixon marks everything in his vicinity against us, and although not in great form at the moment, I’m expecting him to take charge. Any weakness for them is their defence, so it will be majorly important to get first use out of the centre and put pressure on them one on one.

Like a few have said, we need to be very careful of the “goals over the back”, where Orazio and Motlop hold the aces compared to our fwd line.

I think we will have a fair idea in the first 10 mins if we are in with a chance.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2021, 09:50 AM
We should have them in the ruck easily.

Bulldog Joe
14-05-2021, 10:24 AM

This is a foreign concept in a Beveridge coached team.

Axe Man
14-05-2021, 10:39 AM

Why? If it's Sweet v Hayes it's 2 youngish inexperienced ruckmen against each other, fairly even on paper. If it's Sweet v Ladhams I think that's a slight advantage to Port.

If English plays that may give us an advantage v their second ruck.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2021, 10:52 AM
I think we can but it'd need to be our best performance of the year and by some margin.

Given our outs - and I am not certain English plays - I think we lose the battle here.

merantau
14-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Of course we can win it. If you go in thinking you can't win - you're right! If we play to our strengths and take our chances we will win.

merantau
14-05-2021, 06:51 PM
From memory Bont loves playing Port at Port.

comrade
14-05-2021, 06:58 PM
Too many out unfortunately.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2021, 07:59 PM
They have a few out too. I think Lycett hurts them with physical presence in the ruck. Houston is very good. Butters a big out. Duursma another decent option.

We have English, Hunter and Dunks as really big outs, that's for sure. VDM hurts too but we have played plenty of good footy without big contributions from him so far this year.

soupman
14-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Yeah our outs aren't any worse than theirs. And I think we are always a chance when up and about, regardless of personnel.

I suggest Ports forum would be just as worried about this match as ours.

kruder
15-05-2021, 12:39 PM
We need a win like this to really cement ourselves as a contender. Will it be this week not sure, with Dunkley and English out it feels like we have lost our point of difference as in the deep midfield and the three talls forward and I also think our pressure has been off for a few weeks now. This season is really up for grabs, Geelong were ordinary last night, St Kilda actually decided to bring the pressure for once and should have won easily, I would like to see us bring it tonight show that we can stand up to the finals heat.

bornadog
15-05-2021, 01:42 PM
St Kilda actually decided to bring the pressure for once and should have won easily, I would like to see us bring it tonight show that we can stand up to the finals heat.

Saints got smashed in cont.Poss, they just didn't go in hard enough, they were second to the ball and that is why so many tackles. Geelong controlled the game in the 2nd half, Saints not good enough.

AshMac
15-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Don’t see us getting close to them unfortunately. Too many injuries our side and they’re close to full strength. We’ve been awful the last couple of weeks IMO.

Nice having Bailey Williams back, I think we’ve really struggled down back without his agility, elite decision making and pinpoint kicking.

comrade
15-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Don’t see us getting close to them unfortunately. Too many injuries our side and they’re close to full strength. We’ve been awful the last couple of weeks IMO.

Nice having Bailey Williams back, I think we’ve really struggled down back without his agility, elite decision making and pinpoint kicking.

No Lycett, no Butters, no Duursma and no Houston:

DOG GOD
15-05-2021, 03:33 PM

I’m with you. Our defensive pressure has been far too patchy over the last 3 weeks and if that happens tonight, I’m expecting Dixon to hit form again.

ratsmac
15-05-2021, 06:11 PM
I’m with you. Our defensive pressure has been far too patchy over the last 3 weeks and if that happens tonight, I’m expecting Dixon to hit form again.

Dixon always seems to get a hold of us it would only seem... the last 2 times weve played port he's only kicked 2 goals each time and only 1 mark 2019 and 5 marks last year. That's not exactly great form!

DOG GOD
15-05-2021, 06:46 PM
Dixon always seems to get a hold of us it would only seem... the last 2 times weve played port he's only kicked 2 goals each time and only 1 mark 2019 and 5 marks last year. That's not exactly great form!

That’s surprising. Hopefully that 1 mark in 2019 continues in that form tonight.

kruder
15-05-2021, 07:11 PM
Saints got smashed in cont.Poss, they just didn't go in hard enough, they were second to the ball and that is why so many tackles. Geelong controlled the game in the 2nd half, Saints not good enough.

Didn't go in hard enough are you kidding? lol

bornadog
15-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Didn't go in hard enough are you kidding? lol

Lost the contested poss. Yes they tackled alot, but they were second to the ball. LOL

kruder
15-05-2021, 07:29 PM
Lost the contested poss. Yes they tackled alot, but they were second to the ball. LOL

You have lost the plot. Contested possession was not the reason why Geelong won the game. The saints pressure was every reason why they put them selves into that game last night but missed the most gettable opportunities I have ever seen in a half of football from a side.

You can read the stats all you like but mean nothing sometimes.

hujsh
15-05-2021, 07:37 PM
You have lost the plot. Contested possession was not the reason why Geelong won the game. The saints pressure was every reason why they put them selves into that game last night but missed the most gettable opportunities I have ever seen in a half of football from a side.

No need to be rude over St.Kilda of all things

bornadog
15-05-2021, 07:38 PM

Ok here is a stat for you Saints kicked 2.6 to Geelong 6.6 in the second half.

Geelong had 70 plus more disposals than Saints. Saints couldn't get the ball

kruder
15-05-2021, 07:42 PM
Ok here is a stat for you Saints kicked 2.6 to Geelong 6.6 in the second half.

Geelong had 70 plus more disposals than Saints. Saints couldn't get the ball

More stats Bornadog. I watched the game I don't need them.

bornadog
15-05-2021, 08:08 PM
More stats Bornadog. I watched the game I don't need them.

Kruder Saints lost, they weren't good enough. I am just pointing out why. I hate both teams, but I can see Geelong were too good.

Topdog
15-05-2021, 08:34 PM
Saints lost because they failed to apply scoreboard pressure

chef
15-05-2021, 08:42 PM
And kick straight.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-05-2021, 11:41 PM
yep. i think we can.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 12:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQOXYB2cd8

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKQOXYB2cd8

I mean it's good. But surely you missed a beat with the movie Kingpin would've been a nice throw to.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 12:10 AM
I mean it's good. But surely you missed a beat with the movie Kingpin would've been a nice throw to.

Get stuffed YHF and have another glass of red while you're at it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:13 AM
Get stuffed YHF and have another glass of red while you're at it.

If only I knew how to post a tasty video meme here.. I'd make you pay.....

AshMac
16-05-2021, 09:30 AM

So.....ummm.....yeh

Scraggers
16-05-2021, 12:30 PM
It’s funny, I sit back and read (almost) all posts on WOOF and think ‘why are our supporters so negative about team selections / match committee / Bevo et al.’ and yet I couldn’t see us winning in Adelaide. I’m a believer … I’m believing in our hype now !! Absolutely brilliant win. Inspired team selection. In Bevo we trust :cool:

comrade
16-05-2021, 12:39 PM
It’s funny, I sit back and read (almost) all posts on WOOF and think ‘why are our supporters so negative about team selections / match committee / Bevo et al.’ and yet I couldn’t see us winning in Adelaide. I’m a believer … I’m believing in our hype now !! Absolutely brilliant win. Inspired team selection. In Bevo we trust :cool:

Based on this poll, at worst the feeling was it'd be a close loss and the majority who took the poll thought we'd win (not me I selected a close loss because I'm a pessimistic bastard).

The team definitely gained some trust back (and then some) that was lost after the Richmond game.

AshMac
16-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Absolutely a confidence building win that should fill them with belief they can match the best. The juries still out for me on whether we’re the “real deal”

Pretty tough run for the next few matches - be happy to halve the ledger

bornadog
16-05-2021, 05:30 PM
Absolutely a confidence building win that should fill them with belief they can match the best. The juries still out for me on whether we’re the “real deal”

Pretty tough run for the next few matches - be happy to halve the ledger

8 Wins 1 Loss get excited.

EasternWest
16-05-2021, 05:34 PM
8 Wins 1 Loss get excited.

I'm so institutionalised that I know I should agree with you, but I can't help truly agree with AshMac.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-05-2021, 05:37 PM
I'm so institutionalised that I know I should agree with you, but I can't help truly agree with AshMac.

It was a great win no doubt and proved what we’re capable of doing. I agree we should be excited by this group, however I’d like us to finish off the Saints first. A side that we have struggled with and who knocked us out of the finals last year. Let’s put that demon away.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2021, 06:45 PM
Told ya!

AshMac
16-05-2021, 06:47 PM

That’s it. Everytime I get the vaguest glimpse of confidence in us I’m reminded of my place in the world as a dogs fan.

If we tip over Melbourne I’ll be back where I was pre tigers game...

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 08:18 PM
I had us nowhere near it I'm embarrassed to say. I feel bad about not having confidence this week. I thought we'd been treading water for a while and, you know, Port have won their last 11 there.
The win re-established a fair bit of trust. We couldn't have done anymore than what we did on Saturday night.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 08:19 PM
I had us nowhere near it I'm embarrassed to say. I feel bad about not having confidence this week. I thought we'd been treading water for a while and, you know, Port have won their last 11 there.

Saturday night's win re-established a fair bit of trust. We couldn't have done anymore than what we did on Saturday night.

Prediction 1Eyedog:

We will smash Saints next Saturday to setup an exciting match v Dees

Ozza
17-05-2021, 10:15 AM
I think we will win.

In last years match we actually had more shots at goal than Port (5.12 to 8.7) and broke even in most areas except for contested marks (21-6). Dixon and Georgiadis took 8 between them, whilst we had Bruce only get 2 possessions, Naughton didn't play, and Wallis didn't have an impact. I think with Naughton, Bruce and English up forward, we pose a different threat this year.

If we defend well enough as a team, including the mids, and bring an attitude that matches Port's ferocity, then I think we will have too much for them.

Just backing over this post to note the big turnaround from last year.
Contested marks last year 21-6 in Port's favour
This year 14-10 in our favour - a great effort without English, who generally contributes a couple (15 in 6 games this year).