PDA

View Full Version : Three things you've learned. Round nine 2021 v Port Adelaide

Twodogs
14-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Alright. Tell us three things that you know now that you didn't know this afternoon.

GVGjr
15-05-2021, 10:43 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 11:30 PM
1. Cody has all the tools. Jump, speed, pressure, tackling, basic shots, electric snaps.
2. Cordy was pretty solid today. If he nailed those i50’s he would have had a good night.
3. That was a very mature win.
4. Sweet is going to make it.
5. Hannan has one more week to get fit and impact. One goal in three games while say Wallis is not doing much isn’t enough.
6. JJ forward tonight worked for the most part.
7. Treloar needs to cover middle stump better. He needs to get help from Keath.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-05-2021, 11:31 PM
1. Cody Weightman might be a natural small key forward... but he exhibited some good small forward craft too tonight.
2. Naughts can kick straight, and it really, really is important when he does.
3. Williams is no longer a developing player. We missed him, and now he's back.

whythelongface
15-05-2021, 11:34 PM
1. When teams come at us we can dig deep and grind out a win
2. We have depth - no English, Dunks, Hunter , Vandemeer, Gardner - four players < 10 games
3. Cody Weightman will become an important player to us. He won’t kick a bagful every week but he is an x-factor that we need. Plus his enthusiasm can only be a positive

Testekill
15-05-2021, 11:35 PM
1. Weightman has the x-factor that we need from a small forward.

2. Williams was badly missed, came out and had a great showing.

3. McNeil has a lot going for him that is worth persisting with. Just need to tell him to take a ping when running into 50 and there are loose defenders.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 11:36 PM
1, watching Weightman interviewed, he talks with a huge smile. Which makes you smile. I love that kind of personality.
2. Smart footy late. Killing the clock and Bruce dropping back in the hole and taking a big contested mark.
3. 15 Goals, 6 Behinds. Three of them posters. We are getting better.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2021, 11:37 PM
1. Weightman was brilliant and could be a huge X factor for us, especially in big games.

2. Sweet definitely has a bit to work with. Good job - Ladhams is one I actually rate too.

3. This team can win the premiership.

KT31
15-05-2021, 11:45 PM
1. 2 X Kings is not even in the same ball park to one Austronought.
2. We can still win, but our forward press really needs work.
3. Wonderful to win after celebrating World Whiskey Day with several drams.
4. SLAINTE
5. We are the real thing.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2021, 11:55 PM
1. Discipline. In previous weeks we gave down field or behind the ball frees, VDM gave multiple 50’s this year, remonstrating and reversing free kicks or mouthing off at umpires. None of that tonight, and I don’t know how most of our guys held their shit together with public corruption in fluro yellow. This was a focused, disciplined team absolutely tonight and I’m not sure I’ve seen it this good.

2. Williams, Dale & Daniel will give a howler every now and then. But they’re completely next level as a group.

3. I’m not sure I’ve seen Keath make one mistake this year.

westdog54
16-05-2021, 12:16 AM
3. Cody Weightman will become an important player to us. He won’t kick a bagful every week but he is an x-factor that we need. Plus his enthusiasm can only be a positive

1. Weightman has the x-factor that we need from a small forward.

Oddly enough, Darryl White was lamenting the Bulldogs lack of an X- Factor player on AFL Nation pre game.

1. Sweet will be a a very handy ruckman. Stefan Martin bought him some development time.
2. Our bottom 6 are playing their role superbly.
3. Naughton still hasn't found his ceiling.

Bonus: Port Adelaide fans seem to think the visiting team should not be allowed free kicks at all.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:19 AM
Oddly enough, Darryl White was lamenting the Bulldogs lack of an X- Factor player on AFL Nation pre game.

1. Sweet will be a a very handy ruckman. Stefan Martin bought him some development time.
2. Our bottom 6 are playing their role superbly.
3. Naughton still hasn't found his ceiling.

I think the club has held their nerve with Sweet superbly. He's not come in and performed like a timid performer. He's held his own, and all of a sudden if he can build from this, English up forward has long term legs, beyond Martin's time.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 12:37 AM
I think the club has held their nerve with Sweet superbly. He's not come in and performed like a timid performer. He's held his own, and all of a sudden if he can build from this, English up forward has long term legs, beyond Martin's time.

Did you hear Bevo talk about Sweet in his press conference, it was hilarious.

When they were checking in at the airport, Bevo was scanning his boarding pass, and at the other scanner a woman was scanning hers. Sweet was behind the woman, and Bevo turned around and said Hi Sweetie, and the woman thought Bevo was talking to her :D

KT31
16-05-2021, 12:40 AM
Astro is only just slightly older than the Scotch I’m celebrating this win with tonight.😀

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2021, 12:42 AM
Astro is only just slightly older than the Scotch I’m celebrating this win with tonight.��

I've just opened the second bottle of red.. And not even Jeemak's attempts to shame me will rattle me tonight..this morning....

KT31
16-05-2021, 12:50 AM
I've just opened the second bottle of red.. And not even Jeemak's attempts to shame me will rattle me tonight..this morning....

If I could thank and like this comment I would.:):D

jeemak
16-05-2021, 01:07 AM

I have enough red wine shame to last me a lifetime without having to feed off yours.

jeemak
16-05-2021, 01:10 AM
1. JJ can play forward and have an impact on the scoreboard and defencively. He just needs to build on it

2. Cordy can stand up and be prevalent when Keath has his hands full, and without the support of Wood

3. Duryea can turn things around and stop the rot I thought had been setting in over the course of the season almost covertly

AshMac
16-05-2021, 08:49 AM
1. We have guns who’ve been in the holster recently - JJ, Baz, Caleb - when we have consistently good performances we play like a top 4 side

2. Bailey Williams is our most important defender. Adds another elite kicking option, controls the pace of the game like Daniel

3. Josh Bruce has turned a new leaf. I thought he only ski’d downhill but he put in an outstanding effort against Port

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2021, 09:32 AM
The thing I really learnt was that Bailey Williams can be immense and his ability to stand in a tackle and dish off, when he is unable to evade adds an extra dimension.

AshMac
16-05-2021, 09:36 AM
The thing I really learnt was that Bailey Williams can be immense and his ability to stand in a tackle and dish off, when he is unable to evade adds an extra dimension.

Agree. It is no surprise our backline looked unstructured without him. He was our ‘get out of jail’ option until his injury and his absence meant we relied more on the poorer kicks down there - slow the pace, kick to contests, ball comes back in D50 more often.

He is our most important defender

azabob
16-05-2021, 09:44 AM
1. JJ is settling nicely into his forward role and now taking his opportunities when they present.
2. It is only one game but clearly I was wrong about Weightman. He is smart, skilled and has more tricks than just marking and kicking goals.
3. Jordan Sweet is progressing extremely nicely. If he can build on his tank and be able to ruck 85-90% of the game he will be extremely handy. He is reminding me of a young Toby Nankervis. Sweet loves the contest and is quiet skilled for a lumbering ruckman.

DOG GOD
16-05-2021, 10:08 AM
1. Williams/Dale/Daniel is probably 3 of the best backman in the league right now.
2. LIBBA is probably the most IMPORTANT mid in the league right now.
3. When our mids have that mental resolve, they are unstoppable.

Mofra
16-05-2021, 10:16 AM
1. Libba has 20 more clearances then the next best player in the AFL. If the AA selectors are serious he starts on field.

2. Many (including me) wrote Cordy off too early. Best game for a couple of years

3. Our MC clearly watched Richmond's 2017 highlights over the pre-season. We're playing guys who are perhaps a tiny bit behind others in natural ability but will give 100% and sacrifice their own game for the team (McNeill, Scott, Hannan, Roarke and now JJ in the front half) and as a system, it's working.

SonofScray
16-05-2021, 10:23 AM
1. It’s a fairly classic, Aussie Rules line up.
2. We’ve got good capacity to keep the scoreboard ticking, a huge issue in recent years.
3. JJ could potentially hang on as a forward pocket, he worked hard and generated opportunities. Still think he looks like a guy who hasn’t got a heap left, but he took the chances last night, best performance in a while.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-05-2021, 10:32 AM
1. JJ still has it and I hope this is the game that gets his confidence up and gets him going again. He and Weightman can be weapons up forward for us.

2. Libba is so important to our midfield. Massively underrated by outsiders.

3. Bailey Williams is all Australian. What a return. He was magnificent.

4. Roarke Smith is great depth. Very versatile and, after a few seasons now, just seems to know where to be and what to do. Has poise and holds his nerve well.

5. Weightman may just be that small forward we’re searching. Need some more proof but last night he was superb. Just a natural footballer.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 10:52 AM
1. Bevo is a master coach and not appreciated by many of our supporters (not this forum

2. Libba is so important to the team, but won't get accolades from the so called footy experts.

3. I love watching Naughton

comrade
16-05-2021, 10:55 AM
1. Bevo is a master coach and not appreciated by many of our supporters (not this forum

2. Libba is so important to the team, but won't get accolades from the so called footy experts.

3. I love watching Naughton

The tide is turning.

ratsmac
16-05-2021, 11:07 AM
1. When we have the full 22 contribution we look really good.

2. Libba by far has the best hands in the comp and maybe best I've seen. He hits targets you don't realise are there and we are watching from third-person. Not only that his ability and strength to rip it out of the opposition grasp in the contest is extraordinary.

3. I learned to not be disappointed when Bevo picks Roarke Smith. I don't know if it's reflex or not to be upset when he's selected, but how many times this kid has warranted his selection in the team and actually played well. His efforts around the ground are always 100%. And that smother on Robbie Gray was sublime. Gray almost looked dejected after it. Played a good wingmans game I thought where he was always there for the outlet and always helping the defence.

comrade
16-05-2021, 11:19 AM
3. I learned to not be disappointed when Bevo picks Roarke Smith. I don't know if it's reflex or not to be upset when he's selected, but how many times this kid has warranted his selection in the team and actually played well. His efforts around the ground are always 100%. And that smother on Robbie Gray was sublime. Gray almost looked dejected after it. Played a good wingmans game I thought where he was always there for the outlet and always helping the defence.

I'm actually thinking we might be better off with Bazlenka in the middle (where he looked back to his best), Hunter back in and Roarke stays in place of Lipinski. I may be getting sucked in to a one off performance, but Roarke's ability to plug gaps and stick tackles is pretty valuable.

DOG GOD
16-05-2021, 11:22 AM
I'm actually thinking we might be better off with Bazlenka in the middle (where he looked back to his best), Hunter back in and Roarke stays in place of Lipinski. I may be getting sucked in to a one off performance, but Roarke's ability to plug gaps and stick tackles is pretty valuable.

I agree, he’s a harder body than Lippa, and the thing that gripes me more about Lippa than anything is his inability to hold a tackle.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-05-2021, 11:34 AM
1 we are the champions.
2 McNeil is better than I thought; soon he will be a good pass.
3 Cody is as good as I hoped.

MrMahatma
16-05-2021, 11:40 AM
2. Many (including me) wrote Cordy off too early. Best game for a couple of years

Makes sense given he hasn’t even been on the list for a couple of years! ;)

bulldogtragic
16-05-2021, 11:51 AM

‘R’ you serious?

Twodogs
16-05-2021, 11:57 AM
1/ Bailey Smith belongs in the middle
2/ Libba also belongs in the middle
3/ Games can be won from the coaches box.

Happy Days
16-05-2021, 08:00 PM
1. Weightman is actually pretty not bad and his enthusiasm for footy is infectious. Really want him to stick in the side from now on.

2. YHF on the reds is the best poster on the forum.

I didn't learn anything else. We're good as hell and the deepest and most talented team in it but I already knew that.

Stefcep
16-05-2021, 08:26 PM
1. When we kick 15.6, we win against Port Adelaide in Adelaide, when if we kicked 6.15 we would have lost.
2. When we kick 7.13, we lose against Richmond at the MCG when if we kicked 13.7 we would have won.
3. We are a very good team, that is not at its peak, yet.

ratsmac
16-05-2021, 10:45 PM
True dat

Ozza
16-05-2021, 11:07 PM
1. Whether you think they should be in the side weekly or not, to pick up McNeil and Scott in the rookie draft and supplementary respectively is a huge effort from the recruiting team.

2. Naughton and Bruce are on track to kick 66 and 54 respectively. Of course, this relies on them keeping this pace and not missing games - but even 10 less each - 56 and 44 - this is the return we've been craving.

3. Libba. In important ground ball moments, i've been saying the words "its ok....Libba is there" for a lot of the last 31 years. Extraordinary player(s).

GVGjr
16-05-2021, 11:31 PM
1. Whether you think they should be in the side weekly or not, to pick up McNeil and Scott in the rookie draft and supplementary respectively is a huge effort from the recruiting team.

I'm really hoping that the investment that has been placed in them pays off at the business end of the season.

Mofra
16-05-2021, 11:41 PM
Zaine Cordy was drafted in 2014

Dry Rot
17-05-2021, 01:06 AM
1. Weightman belongs in this team

2. We would lose games like this in 2019 and 2020. Not in 2021.

3. Port 2021 remind me of the Dogs 2008 - 2010. Good side which beats the teams below them, but has trouble with the pressure from teams above them.

Vred
17-05-2021, 05:18 AM
1. Weightman, everything that needs to be said has been said
2. Libba, AA this year, maybe our B&F winner too... Smokey for Brownlow?
3. We can beat top 4 sides on their home deck

FrediKanoute
17-05-2021, 11:22 PM
1. R Smith is better than I gave him credit for and his game on saturday went a long way to helping us win;

2. Weightman is a great small forward, with a good leap, quick feet, nice hands. Could he be our answer to a Toby Green? Can see him being someone other clubs will love to hate;

3. Libba's hands are insanely quick....its like watching quantum physics in action - he moves the ball through time and space in the blinnk of an eye

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:54 AM
1. Best interstate win since the 2016 EF against the Wiggles
2. Peter Sweet is a presence. Hoping he continues the upward trend. We need him to achieve both for him and for English.
3. Warwick Capper on insta said Astro is his favourite player and he rolled out the classic line 'This is air traffic control Aaron Naughton you are clear to land'.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 11:51 AM
2. Peter Sweet is a presence.

Jordon Sweet

Axe Man
18-05-2021, 12:10 PM
Jordon Sweet

Peter Street?

bornadog
18-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Peter Street?

the other week my mate was calling him Street :D

Bulldog Joe
18-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Jordon Sweet

Sugar Sweet.

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Jordon Sweet

Haha I've gotta tone down these meds I'm blending ruckmen now.

hujsh
18-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Oh I thought it was a nickname calling back to our greatest ever tap ruckman

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 12:34 PM

And that would be fair enough too!

Axe Man
18-05-2021, 12:42 PM

What did you think of the game of Max Crozier? ;)

Twodogs
18-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Sounds like you have got them spot on to me.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2021, 08:08 PM
What's everyone's view of 'Chief' Keith's game? I haven't seen enough to judge. Dixon was a hard match up.

Happy Days
18-05-2021, 08:15 PM
Chief Keef? Was not expecting that on here.

jeemak
18-05-2021, 08:35 PM
1. Best interstate win since the 2016 EF against the Wiggles
2. Peter Sweet is a presence. Hoping he continues the upward trend. We need him to achieve both for him and for English.
3. Warwick Capper on insta said Astro is his favourite player and he rolled out the classic line 'This is air traffic control Aaron Naughton you are clear to land'.

I recall we had another pretty good interstate win that year............

Dry Rot
18-05-2021, 09:36 PM
Peter Street?

Just imagine a combo of Street and Sweet. Gawn would pull his hamstring at training to avoid playing us.

MrMahatma
19-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Zaine Cordy was drafted in 2014

I read “Cody”. My bad!

Should’ve gone to spec savers!

Mofra
19-05-2021, 11:13 AM
Cooney has a 100% tap record at centre bounces

KT31
21-05-2021, 11:47 PM
Cooney has a 100% tap record at centre bounces

He can add to his 100% douchebag record for his bitterness towards the Dogs.;)