PDA

View Full Version : R. Smith is just a reliable player who should be IN every week.

mjp
16-05-2021, 01:51 PM
A thread about everyone's (least) favourite player.

Roarke Smith simply KNOWS what his role is - and he knows EXACTLY how to play it.

All the stuffing around we have been doing on the wings/high forwards with other players simply proves what we (mostly) already knew. Roarke is the best option. The other players:

B Smith, Lipinski - they are INSIDE MIDS.
JJ is a half-back who can play the role when given a CLEAR defensive mandate.
Treloar is an inside mid who CAN do it...but he is more about flash and dash and finishing than simply getting in the right spot and holding the point.
Crozier is a half back.

If we want to have the 'RIGHT' defensive structure, EVERY time, play ROARKE on the wing opposite Hunter (or in the rotation). 8 of the last 11 times he has played, we have WON. That seems like a pretty darn good ratio to me. We can all say it is down to other factors - and he wasn't in the best half-dozen last night - but having guys who just KNOW what they are supposed to do and are able to set their egos aside (possessions etc) and PLAY IT are worth their weight in gold.

EasternWest
16-05-2021, 04:01 PM
A thread about everyone's (least) favourite player.

Roarke Smith simply KNOWS what his role is - and he knows EXACTLY how to play it.

All the stuffing around we have been doing on the wings/high forwards with other players simply proves what we (mostly) already knew. Roarke is the best option. The other players:

B Smith, Lipinski - they are INSIDE MIDS.
JJ is a half-back who can play the role when given a CLEAR defensive mandate.
Treloar is an inside mid who CAN do it...but he is more about flash and dash and finishing than simply getting in the right spot and holding the point.
Crozier is a half back.

If we want to have the 'RIGHT' defensive structure, EVERY time, play ROARKE on the wing opposite Hunter (or in the rotation). 8 of the last 11 times he has played, we have WON. That seems like a pretty darn good ratio to me. We can all say it is down to other factors - and he wasn't in the best half-dozen last night - but having guys who just KNOW what they are supposed to do and are able to set their egos aside (possessions etc) and PLAY IT are worth their weight in gold.

I like him. I always have. Shrug.

SonofScray
16-05-2021, 04:08 PM
The Raucous Caucous is growing.

He is a reliable player, good club man and offers us a real foot soldier type in a team where the talent is sky high.

1eyedog
16-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Roarke is a very good VFL player and a depth 22-25 AFL player. I'd rather persist with the Lipinski / Richards types, they have a far higher ceiling.

I don't mind Roarke. If he plays his role when he gets his chance that's a good result for us, but there is a reason why he has been kept on the list for so long, and why his biggest fan, the coach, has played him sparingly. It's because he has been and still is viewed as a 22-25 player.

When Ed gets back any chance Roarke has of playing will evaporate, and rightfully so.

Smads57
16-05-2021, 04:23 PM
The ultimate 'role player' - a position that cannot be underestimated in a football side coached by Bevo.

Go_Dogs
16-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Don’t mind it - he is a good role player.

Mitch Robinson has done similar at the Lions.

I’m definitely keeping him in next week - Brad Hill will chop us up if given licence and Roarke can quell him. If he keeps playing his role, he becomes harder to omit. Don’t have him in our best 22 (all fit, September edition) myself at this stage.

Testekill
16-05-2021, 05:49 PM
You need foot soldiers and Roarke is the definition of a foot soldier; not the most spectacular or most talented but they come into the team and do their role.

Sedat
16-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Roarke is a very good VFL player and a depth 22-25 AFL player. I'd rather persist with the Lipinski / Richards types, they have a far higher ceiling.

I don't mind Roarke. If he plays his role when he gets his chance that's a good result for us, but there is a reason why he has been kept on the list for so long, and why his biggest fan, the coach, has played him sparingly. It's because he has been and still is viewed as a 22-25 player.

When Ed gets back any chance Roarke has of playing will evaporate, and rightfully so.
I sit somewhere between yours and mjp's assessment, but there is no better "44th player selected on an AFL list" in the entire competition than Roarke. In an era of high injury rates, reliable depth players who can do a role when called up to senior level are worth a lot.

He did everything asked of him last night.

bornadog
16-05-2021, 08:24 PM
I sit somewhere between yours and mjp's assessment, but there is no better "44th player selected on an AFL list" in the entire competition than Roarke. In an era of high injury rates, reliable depth players who can do a role when called up to senior level are worth a lot.

He did everything asked of him last night.

It is a shame he has had, I think 2 or maybe 3 ACLs

Ozza
16-05-2021, 10:51 PM
I like Roarke. Goes well. Was rock solid every time he played in 2020, and last night.

Mofra
16-05-2021, 11:47 PM
In 2017, Richmond abandoned the 'most talented player' selection methodology and simply selected players who perform their role best. That turned out well.

This year we're stuck with McNeill & Scott since round 1, and Roarke's game was a continuation of this new selection theme. Players who will just sacrifice, block, cover and play a role with a team-first attitude.

Sure, it's easily to get seduced by external perspectives of ceiling.... but as easy as it is to be seduced by what is effectively 'hope' our team seems to far better served right now by "predictability" (and given the amount of times our players have used that word in post match interviews, it seems the group has bought into this theme as well).

ratsmac
17-05-2021, 04:38 AM
Good thread.

I loved Roarke's game last night against Port. He by no means played a game of Bont and Libba proportions but as you say MJP, played his role. I thought he played a great wingman type game mainly the defensive side of things at getting down and helping out in defence. But he was also pretty good offensively at keeping shape working up and down the ground without being sucked to much into the contest. He set up JJ with a beautiful placed kick inside 50 at the end of the second to put us in front just before half-time. It was his width that gave us the the space to work into our f50 on the rebound.

His biggest flaw I suppose is that he hasn't been able to back up good games in a row too often in the past. He goes missing barely touching the ball

Bulldog Revolution
17-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Interesting thoughts mike - i thought he was very good in the final versus the saints last year and had a good combination of size, running power and kicking ability - but so far they've preferred others

maybe Saturday is the reminder the match committee needed

Not all players will shine brightly for 150 games + but if you get enough blokes shining at the right time in the best window of their career then who knows what happens (yes, Im thinking of C.Smith, S.Biggs, J.Hamling, F.Roberts etc)

FrediKanoute
17-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Will admit I was sceptical about Rourke. I was pretty impressed with his game. He did a lot of hard stuff, off the ball stuff 1%'er stuff. A bit like Scott and McNeil, their role really is about harassing, pressuring and supporting guys like Bont/Libba/Macrae/Treloar.

1eyedog
17-05-2021, 08:18 PM
Will admit I was sceptical about Rourke. I was pretty impressed with his game. He did a lot of hard stuff, off the ball stuff 1%'er stuff. A bit like Scott and McNeil, their role really is about harassing, pressuring and supporting guys like Bont/Libba/Macrae/Treloar.

Agreed he had a solid game. The smother saved a certain goal and 6 tackles implies he has great intensity. Based on his game I'd prefer Roarke over Scott, who needs a refresh, and something has to give when Hunter and Vandermeer come back in.

Go_Dogs
17-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Interesting thoughts mike - i thought he was very good in the final versus the saints last year and had a good combination of size, running power and kicking ability - but so far they've preferred others

maybe Saturday is the reminder the match committee needed

Not all players will shine brightly for 150 games + but if you get enough blokes shining at the right time in the best window of their career then who knows what happens (yes, Im thinking of C.Smith, S.Biggs, J.Hamling, F.Roberts etc)

The last point is a great one.

SquirrelGrip
18-05-2021, 02:19 PM
And the haircut has made all the difference!

Bulldog Revolution
18-05-2021, 11:53 PM
The last point is a great one.

It’s just so rare the player who has the Brad Johnson 300+ game career but we will see lots of guys have Nigel Kellett (101 games), Shane Biggs (63 games) like careers - or think of how bright a Mark West (16 games) and Clay Smith (55 games) shone, or even the great Magic Mclean who only played 95 games for us

Not all guys have the window or opportunity to have the Johnno career - a guy like Tony Scott might have 80 great games for the club or it could be 25 - it’s hard to predict

Go_Dogs
19-05-2021, 07:50 PM
It’s just so rare the player who has the Brad Johnson 300+ game career but we will see lots of guys have Nigel Kellett (101 games), Shane Biggs (63 games) like careers - or think of how bright a Mark West (16 games) and Clay Smith (55 games) shone, or even the great Magic Mclean who only played 95 games for us

Not all guys have the window or opportunity to have the Johnno career - a guy like Tony Scott might have 80 great games for the club or it could be 25 - it’s hard to predict

Schache and Lew Young could win us multiple flags if they can have 40 good games over a two year window.

Lots of players do this, and many teams have taken the next step as a result. It’s why players survive on lists for as long as they do. A couple of years of good service, particularly in tough positions, can be worth 6, 8, 10 years of investment.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 06:30 PM
Roarke has become a very reliable player, doing the role that is set for him. He is not a star, he is a foot soldier that Bevo knows he will follow instructions and play for the team.

Happy Days
24-05-2021, 10:09 AM
Something I’ve noticed the last two weeks - Roarke Smith, good kick?

He seems to have added an extra 5m to his leg and is hitting some deft passes. The one to JJ in the Port game looked like a Bont pass.

Ozza
24-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Whenever Billings lined up on the same wing as Roarke, he was very good defensively on him. At one point I thought Roarke was tagging him, but as the game evolved realised he was just working & concentrating hard on a dangerous opponent. Liked his game again.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2021, 10:27 AM
Great tackle, HTB and goal when he drifted forward. Sometimes calling a player ‘a good ordinary player’ is a bit of a put down. But with Roarke it’s a dead set compliment. He’s an all round good ordinary player who is executing the role Bevo wants.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2021, 10:39 AM
His tackle on Clarke was perfect. Clarke is great at evading and squirming out of tackles. Would Lipinski have held that tackle?

Mantis
24-05-2021, 11:08 AM
His tackle on Clarke was perfect. Clarke is great at evading and squirming out of tackles. Would Lipinski have held that tackle?

No he wouldn't have.

Roarke is playing his role perfectly, totally team first footy and playing within his limitations whilst still taking the aggressive kick when the opportunity arises... his role on the wing will be super important this week.

hujsh
24-05-2021, 12:59 PM

He seems to have added an extra 5m to his leg and is hitting some deft passes. The one to JJ in the Port game looked like a Bont pass.

Yeah I feel like he's been surprisingly good as well. Can't think of specific examples but I feel like he's surprised me in a good way a few times.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2021, 01:14 PM
No he wouldn't have.

Roarke is playing his role perfectly, totally team first footy and playing within his limitations whilst still taking the aggressive kick when the opportunity arises... his role on the wing will be super important this week.

Great to see his evolution as a player. When he first started he did try a few flashy things but has settled. Touch wood for Roarke and his injuries. With that behind him, a 100 game career would be a real achievement. The average is about 60 games I once read.

Smith Channeling a bit of Barry Hall with the look.

Bailey Williams is one of my favorite quiet workhorses on the team.

DOG GOD
24-05-2021, 06:34 PM
No he wouldn't have.

A tagging role on Langdon perhaps ?

comrade
24-05-2021, 06:41 PM
A tagging role on Langdon perhaps ?

Yep, I like it.

The Pie Man
24-05-2021, 07:16 PM

Seems to kick to dangerous space pretty well, asking the forward to come to it.

Interesting spot he’s filled on the list...some less kind reviews would think he’s a list clogger, but mature depth like Roarke is gold when injuries pile up.

EasternWest
24-05-2021, 08:02 PM

I've always thought he was a pretty reasonable kick.

AshMac
26-05-2021, 08:58 AM
He was good against the saints again. Big game for him this week in a big game

Bulldog4life
26-05-2021, 10:57 AM
I've always thought he was a pretty reasonable kick.

Accurate kick for goal too.

Testekill
29-05-2021, 12:08 AM
One of the players that kept their head up this week. Still obviously not a star but he's been doing alright on the wing and knows his role so he still deserves to stay in.

jeemak
29-05-2021, 12:16 AM
Yeah Roarke is pretty good as a depth/ solid player. He fluffed a kick that was really poor and shouldn't be let off the hook for it, but overall he's been kept on the list for the right reasons and is repaying the faith pretty well.

Hotdog60
29-05-2021, 12:18 AM
That kick was bad and he knew it.
Did a good effort leading up to it may be fatigue got to him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-05-2021, 12:31 AM

But for that fluffed kick...he played the role he was designated pretty well. He's definitely moved up in the rankings on the playing list.

Happy Days
29-05-2021, 12:43 AM
He was trash tonight lets be real. These games are why we were all so mad in the first place.

Sedat
29-05-2021, 12:51 AM
He was trash tonight lets be real. These games are why we were all so mad in the first place.
He actually wasn't. He had one trash moment, but he worked very hard between the arcs to support the defenders and also link up in transition. He also distributed efficiently into F50 better than most tonight when he had the chance - there was a bit of "long bombs to Snake" by some of our other mids which the Dees lapped up.

macca
29-05-2021, 01:47 AM
Im going to call it, R.Smith is in best 22 for me. Just gets the job done. He was not alone tonight in fluffs.

jeemak
29-05-2021, 02:10 AM

Booo, Happy Days, booo!

SquirrelGrip
29-05-2021, 10:11 AM

Roarke’s kick was a complete fluff. He wasn’t trying to kick to a two on one or risk interception across the face or long bomb to snake or some of the poorer decisions by our usually elite ball movers.

SonofScray
29-05-2021, 10:57 AM
His stocks rose last night. One awful kick aside, he brought the requisite effort and concentration to his role and I believe that executed above his pay grade.

Topdog
29-05-2021, 11:09 AM
Thought he was good last night. Worked hard, ran everywhere and one of the few players to hit a forward on the lead

Grantysghost
29-05-2021, 11:11 AM
What I noticed about Rourke's game last night was the composure he managed to find in that intense heat that other, more credentialed players, couldn't

He seemed to think his way through situations really well.

Great to see he's developing into a decent AFL player.

Go_Dogs
29-05-2021, 11:20 AM
He did a few good things and a few poor things. He wasn’t alone.

I still don’t have him best 22 when we’re fit and firing in September, but he holds his spot another week.

boydogs
30-05-2021, 02:23 AM
Composure has improved ten fold, used to be a deer in the headlights, now he gets it right most of the time. He's actually a good kick it was decision making that was letting him down

bulldogtragic
29-08-2021, 10:11 PM
Not sure every week. But he’s doing more than enough to stay in a finals winning team. Keep the fire burning Roarke.

jeemak
29-08-2021, 10:14 PM
It's really clear that he knows the parts of his game that have had to be stronger because of the parts that are limited.

He's turned into a solid one grab player, and I'm confident that he'll win most one on ones he's involved in.

Testekill
29-08-2021, 10:28 PM
It's really clear that he knows the parts of his game that have had to be stronger because of the parts that are limited.

He's turned into a solid one grab player, and I'm confident that he'll win most one on ones he's involved in.

I've got the feeling he's got a Shane Biggs 2016 in him, he throws himself into one on ones and I can absolutely see him doing the same stuff as Biggs did in that famous play in the grand final. It is surprising how he's made himself into more of an offensive threat, he's solid but not spectacular with ball in hand and he's strong in the air.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Strong in the air and on the ground. Shows poise and doesn't panic. My favourite no. 37 since Chops.

comrade
30-08-2021, 09:45 PM
Strong in the air and on the ground. Shows poise and doesn't panic. My favourite no. 37 since Chops.

I feel better knowing that there is a guy like Roarke in the side to be honest. Just an honest player that sticks to his job, runs all day both ways, blocks for his team mates and plays within his own limitations. Nothing conditional about him at all.

Twodogs
30-08-2021, 11:16 PM

Cam Wight says hello. Daniel Hargraves says what's happening?

macca
31-08-2021, 12:07 AM
I feel better knowing that there is a guy like Roarke in the side to be honest. Just an honest player that sticks to his job, runs all day both ways, blocks for his team mates and plays within his own limitations. Nothing conditional about him at all.

He reminds me of a Daniel Chick, just prepared to play for the team, and do the hard stuff. Runs all day, good mark and knows his limitation with his kicking.

Really hope he gets to 100 games for us. His played 34 so far

Vred
31-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Premiership player, Roake Smith, good ring to it.

mjp
31-08-2021, 10:22 AM
He reminds me of a Daniel Chick...

The version without the added crystal meth I'm assuming?

westbulldog
31-08-2021, 10:57 AM
He reminds me of a Daniel Chick, just prepared to play for the team, and do the hard stuff. Runs all day, good mark and knows his limitation with his kicking.

Really hope he gets to 100 games for us. His played 34 so far

Yes Roarke is doing really well however comparing him to Daniel Chick is almost an insult. The onfield Chick was an absolute sniper who I saw hit Brad Johnson way off the ball at Subiaco. And his life after football simply spiralled downwards.

Twodogs
31-08-2021, 12:18 PM
The version without the added crystal meth I'm assuming?

And all of his fingers.

And Roarke is possessed to skate!

Jeanette54
31-08-2021, 12:25 PM
With his effort and uncompromising approach to the footy Roarke has the potential to be this team's Matty Boyd or Dale Morris. One of the first penciled in on selection night imho.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2021, 09:14 PM
He’s earned his spot and if he can keep doing a solid job negating a dangerous opposition playing and having a really good work ethic getting back to defend he will remain. His kicking isn’t a weapon, but he doesn’t burn the ball either.

EasternWest
31-08-2021, 09:17 PM
With his effort and uncompromising approach to the footy Roarke has the potential to be this team's Matty Boyd or Dale Morris. One of the first penciled in on selection night imho.

I like Roarke a lot but let's not get carried away :).

AshMac
31-08-2021, 11:05 PM

I was just thinking today that Duryea has taken on that Matty Boyd style role from 2016 - slightly different game style but the experienced head marshalling the boys that always seems to be a safe pair of hands.

Roarke wa a great on Sunday - that mark he took deep in defence was impressive on a day the ball was slipping through even Naughtons hands.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2021, 12:54 PM
Again in another cut throat final, did what he needed to do well.

12 Disposals (6 Contested, 3 Intercepts)
3 Marks (2 crucial one in D50)
1 Behind
3 Score Involvements
2 I50’s
1 R50
13 Pressure Acts
5 1%’s
254m Gained

Like some others. Not blemish free, but he’s taking his opportunity with both hands. The stats show his gut running and getting involved at both ends. The cool head with the mark with 30 seconds to go shows some smarts that we didn’t show in Geelong earlier this season. I hope he’s drawing confidence from taking his moments.

SonofScray
05-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Was so close to an outright win over his opponent. A little composure early and he hits the scoreboard twice, to complement his excellent defensive, blue collar work

merantau
05-09-2021, 09:28 PM
He is doing everything right defensively and could have kicked a couple of goals with a bit more composure and dare.

Topdog
05-09-2021, 09:31 PM
How many smothers did he get last night?

Happy Days
05-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Someone does need to gently remind him that he’s not Eddie Betts, but generally happy with what he’s bringing.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-09-2021, 09:39 PM
He has good hands and is double sided like Matty Boyd.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2021, 09:51 PM
Does he still surf with Bevo?

No really. He has been great this year. Impressive that he is keeping Wallis, Smith, Scott and McNeil out of the team. JJ as well. It was only last year and he was fighting for a spot with Hayes. Hard work and belief does pay off.

boydogs
06-09-2021, 01:30 AM
His opponent McCluggage was close to their best, but he played OK

He has vastly improved on his deer in the headlights disposal and is really strong and athletic, his ACL's don't seem to be affecting him. Could carve out a career as the next Easton Wood

Ghost Dog
06-09-2021, 02:40 AM
12 touches, 33% by foot in that game, not as great as Matty Boyd yet....

After all the injuries that he's had I'm just happy to see him playing and hope he improves.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 11:39 PM
I think Roarke went of script a couple of times and missed easy and better opportunities with team mates. His best footy is that hard running, blue collar footy that is played within his limitations. Which can be very valuable. He’s got a huge job on Langdon we would assume so hopefully that focuses him back to the things he does well. If he can shut Langdon out, run all day, link up, make better decisions forward of centre then he will have advanced our cause by blanketing their main winger, while Hunter can do his thing on the opposite wing.

All the match ups are big. But Roarke shutting down Langdon would be important. Is our boy up for the job under the blowtorch of a GF?

bornadog
12-09-2021, 11:42 PM
Is it time to reward him with a list spot and a proper contract?

jeemak
12-09-2021, 11:46 PM
You know what I have actually thought the same the past couple of weeks, where's he's gone beyond just keeping it simple and it hasn't worked out for him.

Could be that he's being told to be more expansive in the way that he plays as he gets more confidence in his position in the team, and that's OK. Just has to be mindful that someone of his talents usually should just do the team oriented, first option type stuff and let the more dynamic players on the team do the fancier things.

If he does the job you're talking about and maybe hits the scoreboard then that would be an amazing contribution in a grand final.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 11:56 PM
Is it time to reward him with a list spot and a proper contract?

Depends on everything else. He’s one more ACL from being cooked. I’m not against it, but list spots are at a premium. Another good year then it’s a reasonable accomodation.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2021, 12:02 AM
You know what I have actually thought the same the past couple of weeks, where's he's gone beyond just keeping it simple and it hasn't worked out for him.

Could be that he's being told to be more expansive in the way that he plays as he gets more confidence in his position in the team, and that's OK. Just has to be mindful that someone of his talents usually should just do the team oriented, first option type stuff and let the more dynamic players on the team do the fancier things.

If he does the job you're talking about and maybe hits the scoreboard then that would be an amazing contribution in a grand final.

I’m certain Langdon will pay him zero respect. If he could make Langdon worry about him forward of centre, that will at minimum change Langdon’s game and attitude.

If Roarke can do that. Schache on Lever. Keath on McDonald. Gardner on Brown. Dunkley on Oliver. Their arrogance turns to fear. We saw that play out last night to full effect. They haven’t been seriously tested this finals series. If we can have things go against them, I’m thinking the pressure build up might get to them to some degree.

Mofra
13-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Will he go to Langdon? I can see a role on Brayshaw.

Angus Brayshow is absolutely vital to Melbourne's set up. He holds his line better than anyone else in the comp, cuts of the switch kick and forces teams to use the get-out long down the line kick far more than they'd like. He's not the aerobic freak Langdon is either.

If we can make Brayshaw accountable and take his influence out of the game (giving us opportunity to run the ball through the fat side of the ground) we can play the game at our speed, rather than let Melbourne slow the game down when we have possession.

Hunter is the only layer in the comp (with Brad Hill) who has the tank to go with Langdon, and we can rotate JJ onto Langdon occasionally who will have him covered for burst speed. If we can beat Melbourne for outside run, we can win the game.

bornadog
14-09-2021, 01:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_NVc7EVkAERyrl?format=jpg&name=medium