PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 11 Vs Melbourne 2021

Scraggers
17-05-2021, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 10 match against St. Kilda for our Round 11, 2021 match against Melbourne at Marvel on Friday Night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
22-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
22-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Out:

Scott - Concussion Rule, 12 Days

In:

English

Wait and see on Treloar

Testekill
22-05-2021, 11:12 PM
It sounds like Treloar rolled his ankle so that shouldn't be too bad.

Out: Scott

In: English

Wouldn't drop anyone unless forced, Scott copped the head knock so he makes way.

DOG GOD
22-05-2021, 11:25 PM
Out- scott, Treloar (won’t take any chances)
In- Garcia, ???

I think English won’t be back til after bye

divvydan
22-05-2021, 11:35 PM
If Treloar misses, Garcia seems like a pretty good replacement, just whether or not we want to start him in such a big game.

GVGjr
22-05-2021, 11:36 PM
Im hearing English is very unlikely to be available against Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Im hearing English is very unlikely to be available against Melbourne

That's worrying. We've done well without Timmy, but he really is a key component. We need him healthy.

Testekill
22-05-2021, 11:50 PM
Syndesmosis for Treloar so he'll miss a few weeks. I guess Garcia is the most like-for-like swap so it's as good a time as any to blood him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-05-2021, 11:52 PM
Syndesmosis for Treloar so he'll miss a few weeks. I guess Garcia is the most like-for-like swap so it's as good a time as any to blood him.

Really?? Shit.. that could really hurt. Dunks and Treloar out takes away a fair bit from our 1 wood. It really puts our defense on notice, as they'll get some more work to do if we can't maintain our midfield dominance.

Dry Rot
22-05-2021, 11:53 PM
Wrong thread

bulldogsthru&thru
22-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Really?? Shit.. that could really hurt. Dunks and Treloar out takes away a fair bit from our 1 wood. It really puts our defense on notice, as they'll get some more work to do if we can't maintain our midfield dominance.

Ugh we just can’t seem to get a season with a good run of injuries. All I’m hoping is that we have everyone healthy for the end of season run.

At least Dunks and Adz can further their bond in rehab.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2021, 12:01 AM
Ugh we just can’t seem to get a season with a good run of injuries. All I’m hoping is that we have everyone healthy for the end of season run.

At least Dunks and Adz can further their bond in rehab.

The bye can’t get to us soon enough to rest some sore lads and soak up lost time for several guys. Getting cherry ripe for the run home.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 12:02 AM
Hitouts 53 to 21. If this happens next week, we lose, because Gawn will feed the Melbourne mids.

Really need English in

chef
23-05-2021, 12:04 AM
Hitouts 53 to 21. If this happens next week, we lose, because Gawn will feed the Melbourne mids.

Really need English in

English wont really help the hitout count.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 12:06 AM

I realise he isn't a great tap ruckman, but Sweet has only played 4 games, so at least English can try and nullify and help out.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 12:18 AM
English out next week means he’ll probably be out until after the bye. Don’t think we’d bring him back for 1 game before the bye.

Do we need to recruit a ruck at the mid-season draft? We’re a Sweet injury away from having no ruck.

By the way I thought Young was superb in his stints I’m the ruck tonight. Body work not great but he got some nice taps.

Testekill
23-05-2021, 12:22 AM
Do we need to recruit a ruck at the mid-season draft? We’re a Sweet injury away from having no ruck.

No spots available on our list unless someone goes down long term

Topdog
23-05-2021, 12:30 AM
No spots available on our list unless someone goes down long term

The most likely scenario is us having all 3 rucks available after the bye so no need to bring one in

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 12:38 AM
We need to win next week. We've got Freo in Perth, then a bye, then West Coast in Perth, followed up with Geelong at Boggy Park, before we play North.
That's a season defining month.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 12:51 AM
We've just won a game by 111 points, and yet I reckon our biggest challenge is now upon us.
I think we're a strong chance to drop multiple games in the next month. And I don't think that is going to hurt us, IF we don't lose belief
We'll get some very good soldiers back in the run home. We just need to grit our teeth and fight the long war.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-05-2021, 12:58 AM
So against Lever and May......they have to date gobbled up teams who go risk going long to an aerial contest.
Does what Weightman and JJ bring give us some options for changing our mode of attack?
Or do we back ourselves to give Bruce and Naughts good looks?

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2021, 01:32 AM
We need to win next week. We've got Freo in Perth, then a bye, then West Coast in Perth, followed up with Geelong at Boggy Park, before we play North.
That's a season defining month.

I think it’s geelong first and then west coast in Perth?

divvydan
23-05-2021, 02:42 AM
Bevo in presser said he think English will play next week. Trained well this week and towards the end of the week English felt he was ready to play but we've held him back just to be sure.

comrade
23-05-2021, 03:11 AM
Bevo in presser said he think English will play next week. Trained well this week and towards the end of the week English felt he was ready to play but we've held him back just to be sure.

Yep, most definitive thing we’ve heard on English from the club since his concussion.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Martin can’t be far away either? Achilles soreness and only meant to be a few weeks when reported.

Hard to know who will come in at this early stage but sounds like Scott may join Treloar as outs.

At this stage I’d bring in Young for Treloar (will need more height down back, and he can relieve in the ruck) and West for Scott. West can tag Langdon who has been chopping for Melbourne and generates a lot of their run. Let’s give him a clear role in a big game and see how he responds.

English and Martin back after the bye will make for some interesting selection headaches.

Hotdog60
23-05-2021, 09:51 AM
Dogs' English set to return for Dees clash

https://images.thewest.com.au/publication/C-2908812/ee3e478b476e71c7d85ff53c822c1555ed73b28d-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=wan_v3

The Western Bulldogs are set to be bolstered by ruckman Tim English's return from concussion for their bumper top-of-the-ladder AFL clash with Melbourne.

English has missed four games since he was concussed in an accidental clash with teammate Aaron Naughton in the round six win over GWS.

The Bulldogs have taken a cautious approach to the 23-year-old but he is set to return against the Demons - and star ruckman Max Gawn - for Friday night's game at Marvel Stadium.

"We think he probably will (play)," Beveridge said.

"He's come out of the clouds I suppose a little bit. He just hasn't been himself.

"We just stepped back and say, 'let us know when you feel on top of things.'

"He trained really well this week and he's probably thinking that he should have played but we've just given him another week and I'm pretty sure he'll be fine."

The Bulldogs will be without Adam Treloar, who suffered an ankle injury in Saturday's 111-point win over St Kilda.

Treloar will have scans on Sunday and is expected to miss several weeks but Beveridge was confident Anthony Scott (head knock) would be okay.

The Demons are coming off a shock one-point defeat to Adelaide, their first loss of the season, but trail the Bulldogs only on percentage.

"It's great to be in this position and I'm sure the Demons think the same," Beveridge said.

"They'd be a bit disappointed that they dropped one today but they've been outstanding all year and obviously had some challenges with some of their depth and selection at different times, which is a great problem to have.

"We look forward to the challenge. We played them the week before round one (winning a pre-season game by 39 points) and to be honest we put a bit of a price on that, we needed to get going.

"So we're expecting a little bit of a different Melbourne to what we faced, as much as we were pretty good in that encounter.

"They've been really impressive, so we'll have our hands full."

LINK (https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-english-set-to-return-for-dees-clash-c-2908812)

DOG GOD
23-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Ben Brown loves playing us at Marvel, so I’m expecting him in and Weideman out for starters.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 10:16 AM
I don't understand Bevo saying Scott had a head knock but he is expecting him to be ok? If he has concussion, well he will be out of course.

Out: Treloar, Scott

In: English, West.

I doubt Young will come in.

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 10:50 AM
I don't understand Bevo saying Scott had a head knock but he is expecting him to be ok? If he has concussion, well he will be out of course.

It's an interesting one, apparently Scott approach the Doctors saying something like he wasn't feeling well and the checked the footage and couldn't see a head knock. A bit later he did the check and was ruled out of the game.

As you say, if it's concussion me misses for a week

azabob
23-05-2021, 05:43 PM
If English isn’t passed fit, I’d consider playing Lewis Young as second ruck and 3rd tall.

We need to play Naughton and Bruce forward all game.

Petty will likely go to Bruce which I’m sure we can exploit, as May and Lever will be too occupied with Naughton.

Assuming Lever goes to Weightman, we need to be confident to use Weightman as he is strong overhead and smart once the ball hits the ground and as above Lever will have one and half eyes on Naughton.

Assuming Salem is back in, who goes to him?

DOG GOD
23-05-2021, 05:47 PM
If English isn’t passed fit, I’d consider playing Lewis Young as second ruck and 3rd tall.

Petty will likely go to Bruce which I’m sure we can exploit, as May and Lever will be too occupied with Naughton.

Assuming Lever goes to Weightman, we need to be confident to use Weightman as he is strong overhead and smart once the ball hits the ground and as above Lever will have one and half eyes on Naughton.

I wouldn’t mind seeing JJ on Salem and then use his pace running back to exploit Salem’s defensive efforts. I also think Roarke will get a tagging job on Langdon

The Doctor
23-05-2021, 05:47 PM
In: English, Garcia

Out: Young, Treloar

If Scott is out it's between West and Lipinski and I'm not convinced either has really earned a spot for the moment. Maybe Butler.

azabob
23-05-2021, 05:52 PM

If Scott is out it's between West and Lipinski and I'm not convinced either has really earned a spot for the moment. Maybe Butler.

I’m no expert but I think you have to drop one more?

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2021, 05:52 PM

Really need English in

I would suggest Sweet is our best at the hitouts and think he has gone passed Martin

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 05:57 PM

Tend to agree, Young performed pretty well and could be a decent 2nd ruck option

The Doctor
23-05-2021, 06:06 PM
I’m no expert but I think you have to drop one more?

Yep you're right. Forgot the sub. So I revise by saying English for Young who had already replaced Treloar. Garcia comes in if Scott is out.

I would suggest Sweet is our best at the hitouts and think he has gone passed Martin

Gee that's a big call. I'm in with Martin as much as I have been impressed by Sweet. I like Martin's experience and smarts against the best. I guess we will learn more about Sweet this week v Gawn.

bornadog
23-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Martin is way ahead of Sweet. Sweet still learning and has a long, long, long way to go

Bullies
23-05-2021, 09:09 PM
I wouldn’t mind seeing JJ on Salem and then use his pace running back to exploit Salem’s defensive efforts. I also think Roarke will get a tagging job on Langdon If Scott plays he will go to Salem. He usually takes the running defender and has done some great jobs. Rich, Byrne Jones and Saad come to mind.

Dry Rot
23-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Out: Treloar, In: Garcia

Out: Scott, In: English

Young medical sub

Scraggers
23-05-2021, 09:51 PM

Yep … this is my thinking as well. I want to see what Garcia can do on the big stage, and it doesn’t get much bigger than this.

Rocco Jones
23-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Do we bring back Gardner? Too harsh to drop Cordy? I have been 'relatively' impressed by Zaine.

GVGjr
23-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Do we bring back Gardner? Too harsh to drop Cordy? I have been 'relatively' impressed by Zaine.

Gardner should be in the mix, he can play on mid sized players

comrade
23-05-2021, 10:34 PM

I'd be replacing Cordy with Gardner as soon as we felt Gardner was ready.

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2021, 10:48 PM
Martin is way ahead of Sweet. Sweet still learning and has a long, long, long way to go

Martin was uncompetitive against Richmond and Sweet is improving every game. Their average stats for the season are very comparable and Sweet is showing duarability.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 12:24 AM

But he's undeniably a better player around the ground than Sweet is. So if you're getting hurt in one spot, you need to try and hurt them in another.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 12:45 AM

He said he had blurred vision so they were cautious, thus expecting him to be OK to play.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 12:49 AM

A quick look at the stats and numerically you're right, however Sweet did benefit from a first outing against no competition.

I think once English and Martin are both fit they'll be our first choice options, additionally even if only one of them is fit I think that will see Sweet relegated to the twos.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 12:52 AM
Martin was uncompetitive against Richmond and Sweet is improving every game. Their average stats for the season are very comparable and Sweet is showing duarability.

Again, the GC game would also skew the data in favour of Sweet when it comes to opposition ruck impact given they didn't play a ruckman of note.

Aside from any of that, I am starting to believe that Sweet is a solid chance of making it. He's the right shape, strength and style to complement English and as long as his tank keeps improving he may well have a spot.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't be dropping Cordy, rather, Young goes out for mine. We need players who don't hold the footy for too long in the back half because if we're to avoid Lever and May the ball needs to move forward fairly quickly.

In - English, Gardner
Out - Treloar, Sweet (and Young)

Whether it's right or wrong, we'll prefer English to ruck with help from the forwards and Gardner will come in. I think we are better balanced with Keath, Cordy and Gardner rather than having Young in for Cordy.

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2021, 01:01 AM
Again, the GC game would also skew the data in favour of Sweet when it comes to opposition ruck impact given they didn't play a ruckman of note.

Aside from any of that, I am starting to believe that Sweet is a solid chance of making it. He's the right shape, strength and style to complement English and as long as his tank keeps improving he may well have a spot.

I do know the GC game skews the data, but I was particularly impressed with Sweet's effort against Ryder and it certainly compares favourably to the effort of Martin against Nankervis.

I also concede that Martin may have been injured against Richmond (He hasn't played since). However, one of the requirements is also durability.

Mantis
24-05-2021, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't be dropping Cordy, rather, Young goes out for mine. We need players who don't hold the footy for too long in the back half because if we're to avoid Lever and May the ball needs to move forward fairly quickly.

In - English, Gardner
Out - Treloar, Sweet (and Young)

Whether it's right or wrong, we'll prefer English to ruck with help from the forwards and Gardner will come in. I think we are better balanced with Keath, Cordy and Gardner rather than having Young in for Cordy.

I can't see how or why we need to play all of these 3... it's either Gardner or Cordy, not both.

Topdog
24-05-2021, 08:46 AM
No chance we are sending in English up against Gawn by himself

Happy Days
24-05-2021, 08:54 AM
I read a really interesting breakdown on Footy Talking Points that showed Melbourne are so confident in Gawn/Oliver/Petracca that they willingly cede a number at stoppages to allow Lever to play loose behind the ball. Its a luxury that you can get away with against some lesser midfields but we absolutely should be looking to exploit this.

It firstly means manning up Lever specifically (I’d go with Hannan) but it also means Sweet and some real support must play. Really hope Timmy is back.

The Pie Man
24-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Really like the idea of bringing more speed in to replace Treloar, Garcia looks ready to me.

GVGjr
24-05-2021, 07:21 PM
Really like the idea of bringing more speed in to replace Treloar, Garcia looks ready to me.

What about the forgotten man in Hayes?

EasternWest
24-05-2021, 08:01 PM
What about the forgotten man in Hayes?

Forget him some more.

FrediKanoute
24-05-2021, 08:32 PM
Out: Treloar, Scott (if injured)

In: English, West/Lippa

Young unlucky, but to me he is a backman and plays if Gardner/Cordy are not playing. Can see Garcia getting the nod, but eqully can see them rewarding West for continued performances and/or Lippa for his consisten form.

jeemak
24-05-2021, 09:38 PM
I'd like to see Lipinski be given an opportunity to play as part of the inside mid rotation as he does in the VFL and see if his dominance in the lower competition translates to the role.

Mofra
24-05-2021, 09:41 PM
So against Lever and May......they have to date gobbled up teams who go risk going long to an aerial contest.
Does what Weightman and JJ bring give us some options for changing our mode of attack?
Or do we back ourselves to give Bruce and Naughts good looks?
This is where the "third" marking forward just has to have big day.
Adelaide seemed to try and keep May & Lever deep and have shallower F50 entries. I';d love to see a scoring breakdown - I'd be surprised if their shots from 40-50m weren't substantially higher than normal.
Mitch Hannan and English (if he's back) have big jobs to do this game.

Salem out is huge - I'd put a defensive forward on him if he was in.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-05-2021, 04:05 PM
Riley Garcia confirmed to make his debut this week.

Grantysghost
26-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Riley Garcia confirmed to make his debut this week.

That's great news. Our VFL program is such a winner.

bulldogsthru&thru
26-05-2021, 04:10 PM
That's great news. Our VFL program is such a winner.

Looking forward to watching another debutant. There's been a bit of hype around him.

The Pie Man
26-05-2021, 04:11 PM
Like the Garcia inclusion

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-05-2021, 04:15 PM
Geez he's done well to come from so far back. Late draft pick, Drafted whilst rehabbing an ACL and then enduring the 2020 COVID experience, to earn a guernsey in Rnd 11 this year!

Axe Man
26-05-2021, 04:33 PM
I think that will make 37 players used so far this season with Garcia's debut. Of the 6 players that haven't played yet you would expect Richards, McLean and JUH to appear at some stage. Butler is a chance and Hayes shouldn't be ruled out. Bedendo is the only one who would be a surprise.

bornadog
26-05-2021, 05:03 PM

In: Garcia, English

comrade
26-05-2021, 05:05 PM
I think it'll be:

IN: Garcia, English, Lipinski (as sub)
OUT: Treloar, Hannan, Young

MrMahatma
26-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Geez he's done well to come from so far back. Late draft pick, Drafted whilst rehabbing an ACL and then enduring the 2020 COVID experience, to earn a guernsey in Rnd 11 this year!

Was he a late pick because of the ACL, rather than ability?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-05-2021, 05:08 PM

Now that I don't know. However Max King and Kemp all went pretty high despite ACL's?

comrade
26-05-2021, 05:09 PM

Would have been a big factor, but he's a bit on the small side and isn't the cleanest ball user so these types don't generally go at the pointy end.

mjp would know more.

1eyedog
26-05-2021, 07:42 PM

I'm pretty sure he did his ACL prior to getting drafted and we took a so called 'risk' by selecting him.

divvydan
27-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Official changes:

In: Riley Garcia (debut), Pat Lipinski, Tim English
Out: Adam Treloar (ankle), Mitch Hannan (calf tightness), Anthony Scott (managed)

Lewis Young goes back onto emg list, along with West, Butler and Gardner.

comrade
27-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Timmy!!!

Grantysghost
27-05-2021, 07:42 PM
Official changes:

Out: Adam Treloar (ankle), Mitch Hannan (calf tightness), Anthony Scott (managed)

Gee we are down a few good soldiers. Demons pretty much full strength.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Official changes:

Good to see Tim back.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Good to see Tim back.

Super happy to have Tim back. I really hope he is all good that was a huge blow and it’s excellent to see player health put ahead of the pressure to play.

1eyedog
27-05-2021, 08:12 PM
Gee we are down a few good soldiers. Demons pretty much full strength.

They're minus Viney and Tomlinson two good players.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Bloody hell the team sheet looks wrong :D
Players in correct positions

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen
HF: Lachie Hunter, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
F: Tim English, Aaron Naughton, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Jordon Sweet, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith

Int: Pat Lipinski, Lachie McNeil, Roarke Smith, Riley Garcia

Emer: Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Ryan Gardner

Out: Adam Treloar (ankle), Mitch Hannan (calf tightness), Anthony Scott (managed), Lewis Young

1eyedog
27-05-2021, 08:19 PM
I think Melbourne will really struggle with Astro, Chill and Juice. They brought Petty in to replace Tomlinson but he's a green horn. They'll be super reliant on May and Lever and having three quality bigs down there will make them both accountable.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 08:29 PM
I think Melbourne will really struggle with Astro, Chill and Juice. They brought Petty in to replace Tomlinson but he's a green horn. They'll be super reliant on May and Lever and having three quality bigs down there will make them both accountable.

Plus our forwards know how to work as a unit now. On the replay of the Saints match, you see McNeil almost run at right angles to the boundary line while Naughton comes straight at the ball carrier. McNeil’s man went with him (lest he give up a mark to his man in a hard spot) thereby dragging an extra defender away from Naughton. The alternative would be McNeil taking shots all night from uncontested Marks. If we can give our talls some room to move, keep their KPDs accountable and have the pressure and smarts from our smalls last week, then with good delivery in we should be doing ok. Assuming we kick straight.

comrade
27-05-2021, 08:38 PM
The Sweet/English era begins.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2021, 08:45 PM

I’m excited, but ‘Sweet/English’ sounds like a country pub touring tribute act of 70’s & 80’s music. Where the last two songs are ‘When I see you smile’ and ‘The Ballroom blitz’.

kruder
27-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Like the team considering the outs. It's time for Lippa to stand up.

jeemak
27-05-2021, 09:27 PM
I'm really glad Lippa got selected, he deserves a chance to have a crack as an inside mid given it's been his best position at the lower level and he's - albeit with some flaws - had a genuine crack at trying to be a different kind of player when playing seniors.

Interesting comments from Bevo on the radio today around wanting players to play given how good they are and trying to find positions for them. He mentioned Dale, B. Williams and Ed Richards as players who were too good to leave out of the side and thus were shoe-horned into roles that may not really suit them over time. I reckon this is something that Pat's had to deal with.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 09:53 PM
I’m excited, but ‘Sweet/English’ sounds like a country pub touring tribute act of 70’s & 80’s music. Where the last two songs are ‘When I see you smile’ and ‘The Ballroom blitz’.

Let's hope we blitz the dees.

Are you ready Chilli, Jordon, let's gooooooooooooo

Bumper Bulldogs
27-05-2021, 10:06 PM

What about the “English Sweet” era ��

bornadog
27-05-2021, 10:18 PM
Melbourne player tested negative, so we are set.

Hotdog60
27-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Melbourne player tested negative, so we are set.

Yahoo

Grantysghost
27-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Age reporting an estimate of $300k loss for the Dogs not having a crowd at the game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-blockbuster-for-bulldogs-as-afl-counts-lockdown-cost-20210527-p57vnl.html

Jeanette54
27-05-2021, 10:57 PM
Age reporting an estimate of $300k loss for the Dogs not having a crowd at the game.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-blockbuster-for-bulldogs-as-afl-counts-lockdown-cost-20210527-p57vnl.html

Fox sports quoted $650k, I guess The Age is conservative.

jeemak
27-05-2021, 11:09 PM
So, we can't all just read this and with a straight face think that it's not complete bullshit. We lose money due to poor timing and circumstances beyond our control, but additionally look at Collingwood who were likely to earn three times as much as we do per person who attends one of their games at the MCG versus ours at Docklands.

What the actual *!*!*!*!! How is this still a thing given we subsidised the purchase of Docklands more heavily than any other club bar St Kilda when the stadium was PE/ non-AFL owned, thus securing the competitions financial position, and we still get duded on the rate of return per spectator.

This needs to be addressed, the disproportionate rate of return based on geography from stadium deals is too much of a bitter pill to swallow, albeit explaining why we didn't get our budget smashed to the extent the bigger clubs did during last year's lockdown.

Happy Days
27-05-2021, 11:09 PM

That's fine, I heard we just made some speculative investments in a rapidly developing economic market and still project to make it to the moon.

jeemak
27-05-2021, 11:24 PM
That's fine, I heard we just made some speculative investments in a rapidly developing economic market and still project to make it to the moon.

Handed the keys to Coinspot in exchange for free consulting services.

EasternWest
28-05-2021, 12:04 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/c1RwTznd/nGMrD.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Vred
28-05-2021, 02:18 AM
Fox sports quoted $650k, I guess The Age is conservative.

Word was this game was going to be 40k+, all corporate boxes were sold out and tickets were drying up fast. Such a big loss for us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 07:21 AM
Word was this game was going to be 40k+, all corporate boxes were sold out and tickets were drying up fast. Such a big loss for us.

Yeah, this is gonna hurt our bottom line.

Mantis
28-05-2021, 09:21 AM
I'm really glad Lippa got selected, he deserves a chance to have a crack as an inside mid given it's been his best position at the lower level and he's - albeit with some flaws - had a genuine crack at trying to be a different kind of player when playing seniors.

He would want to make a better fist at it than he did against Richmond as I doubt he will get many more chances if so... I'm hopeful that Pat can develop into the player we would like, but his lack of a hard edge is worrying.

Interesting comments from Bevo on the radio today around wanting players to play given how good they are and trying to find positions for them. He mentioned Dale, B. Williams and Ed Richards as players who were too good to leave out of the side and thus were shoe-horned into roles that may not really suit them over time. I reckon this is something that Pat's had to deal with.

All have a turn of foot & are penetrating kicks which our side lacks so it makes sense.

Mantis
28-05-2021, 09:21 AM

I find this hard to believe given tickets hadn't even gone on sale.:confused:

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 09:42 AM
I find this hard to believe given tickets hadn't even gone on sale.:confused:

Coterie guest passes had etc, I had already registered for friends.
Might be that.

The Pie Man
28-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Coterie guest passes had etc, I had already registered for friends.
Might be that.

Did I hear hospitality for this game had sold out weeks ago?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Did I hear hospitality for this game had sold out weeks ago?

That's what I heard last night. The reporter said Ameet Bains didn't even want to look at the financials around it, as it's going to make for very poor reading.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 12:27 PM
That's what I heard last night. The reporter said Ameet Bains didn't even want to look at the financials around it, as it's going to make for very poor reading.

This is the flip side with Cody Raak. Let’s say we pick him up and now his salary on the books. In this scenario he’s playing vfl to probably a low-ish level and not dominating the NAB League. Then this happens and there’s a huge hole in our budget and we are thinking about whether we can carry Raak as an extra voluntary salary and cut him one year in like NMM a couple of years back.

Do we look to try to select a player or two or three in the mid season draft with Dunkley, Treloar & Jong meeting the criteria. I’d argue the fairest thing is to cancel the MSD so clubs losing big money don’t get disadvantaged. They should do that today.

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Well we are just going to have to win and keep pushing to 50k members to help offset the loss.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Well a Covid write off for financ4s for this round.
Plenty more where this came from. Not our last blockbuster.
As long as we realise our potential.

Mofra
28-05-2021, 01:12 PM
I know it's all positivity at this stage but I do have concerns over Lipinski's defensive efforts.
Even bringing in a role-playing kid who can tackle (Garcia) I hope Lippi has a blinder and proves me wrong by sticking a few tackles.

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 01:50 PM
I know it's all positivity at this stage but I do have concerns over Lipinski's defensive efforts.
Even bringing in a role-playing kid who can tackle (Garcia) I hope Lippi has a blinder and proves me wrong by sticking a few tackles.

What Lippa lacks in defensive efforts he makes up for with clean hands, smarts and consistently good disposal by hand and foot. it's why he keeps getting played. For mine, he absolutely needs to continue to work on the defensive aspects of his game but we have a number of high pressure role players we've brought into the team and I'm glad he's an in this week because we still also need a bit of polish. I also have to remind myself he is two years behind Bailey Dale who really only started his upward trend this year.

We all hope he reaches his ceiling and hopefully the upward trend starts tonight.

macca
28-05-2021, 02:00 PM
What Lippa lacks in defensive efforts he makes up for with clean hands, smarts and consistently good disposal by hand and foot. it's why he keeps getting played. For mine, he absolutely needs to continue to work on the defensive aspects of his game but we have a number of high pressure role players we've brought into the team and I'm glad he's an in this week because we still also need a bit of polish. I also have to remind myself he is two years behind Bailey Dale who really only started his upward trend this year.

We all hope he reaches his ceiling and hopefully the upward trend starts tonight.

I have faith in Lipinksi, that his going to make it. He knows what the standards are, and he has so many good players around him to aspire towards.

His got all the tools probably except explosive pace. Just his defensive side of game he needs to tighten and stop ball watching.

I want to see a personal BOG performance from him tonight.

He might just be one of those players who need to get to 50 games, and he will get better.

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 02:03 PM
I have faith in Lipinksi, that his going to make it. He knows what the standards are, and he has so many good players around him to aspire towards.

His got all the tools probably except explosive pace. Just his defensive side of game he needs to tighten and stop ball watching.

He might just be one of those players who need to get to 50 games, and he will get better.

Think he plays his 50th tonight?

Dry Rot
28-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Anyone know which Demon player has been rubbed out for tonight and has to self isolate for a fortnight?

The Pie Man
28-05-2021, 02:22 PM
RE: Lipinski, I know it was pre season but he was close to BOG against Melbourne earlier this year.

Looked ready to take that next step.

Perfect opportunity tonight

Happy Days
28-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Anyone know which Demon player has been rubbed out for tonight and has to self isolate for a fortnight?

Marty Hore apparently.

Axe Man
28-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Marty Hore apparently.

Out with a knee for the season so no real impact apart from sending a scare through everyone.

As an aside one of the positive cases today apparently picked it up at the Sporting Globe in Mordialloc, where Hore apparently attended. This could have been catastrophic for the competition.

Sedat
28-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Marty Hore apparently.
I wonder, if it was a Gawn/Oliver/Petracca high profile type, the game would have been postponed?

1eyedog
28-05-2021, 03:07 PM
The AFL really should have just brought the bye round forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-05-2021, 04:09 PM
The AFL really should have just brought the bye round forward.

Hard to know why they didn't tbh.

Biggest game of the year - and arguably biggest game in the H&A for a few years - set to be played in front of absolutely nobody.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 04:12 PM
Have to be commercial arrangements. The VFL isn't bound by similar deals and was easily cancelled.

TV money doesn't care about crowds, and considering everyone is at home it's probably better for them.

Axe Man
28-05-2021, 04:43 PM
Have to be commercial arrangements. The VFL isn't bound by similar deals and was easily cancelled.

TV money doesn't care about crowds, and considering everyone is at home it's probably better for them.

There is also the factor of playing games whenever you are able to. It's not impossible that things go off the rails and there is some sort of shutdown of the league. Get the games in while you can may be their policy.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 04:44 PM
There is also the factor of playing games whenever you are able to. It's not impossible that things go off the rails and there is some sort of shutdown of the league. Get the games in while you can may be their policy.

Could be a record TV viewership tonight

macca
28-05-2021, 04:57 PM
Think he plays his 50th tonight?

Just checked footywire.com, and his played 52 games! So his in the sweet spot.

GVGjr
28-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Hard to know why they didn't tbh.

Biggest game of the year - and arguably biggest game in the H&A for a few years - set to be played in front of absolutely nobody.

I think they have done the right thing.
They must start with the view of getting as many games played when they can be played. A weeks deferral might end up being 3 weeks of missed games. Play all games when they can be played needs to be the aim.

As much as I would have loved to have gone to this game, I think they've got it right.

GVGjr
28-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Axe, Thanks, I just responded along the same lines before I ready your response.

Grantysghost
28-05-2021, 05:01 PM

Yep it's a fair point you make. We are in a pandemic it's been nice to have some exclusion from the worst of it for a while but anything can happen.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2021, 05:02 PM

He's already played 50?

Gone pretty quick considering he's been in and out of the side. His best footy is in front of him.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 05:05 PM

He's already played 50?

Gone pretty quick considering he's been in and out of the side. His best footy is in front of him.

Footywire have got errors in the player games totals. I found out when JJ was playing his 150th, but they only had him at 148.

Lippa has played 53 games including 8 this year.

Axe Man
28-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Lipinski played his 50th v Gold Coast when he was a late in for Vandermeer, so it sort of went by unnoticed.

Mantis
28-05-2021, 07:00 PM

He's got all the tools probably except explosive pace. Just his defensive side of game he needs to tighten and stop ball watching.

These are rather important tools though.

I like Pat, he has some nice traits, but concerned he doesn't have the ''hard'' edge which will take his game to the next level... with Dunks & Treloar out for the next 6-8 weeks it's time for him to put his stake in the ground... over to you Pat!

boydogs
30-05-2021, 01:55 AM
These are rather important tools though.

I like Pat, he has some nice traits, but concerned he doesn't have the ''hard'' edge which will take his game to the next level... with Dunks & Treloar out for the next 6-8 weeks it's time for him to put his stake in the ground... over to you Pat!

Lipinski needs to be our next Gia - he wasn't quick either but was highly skilled