PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 12 Vs Fremantle 2021

Scraggers
17-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 11 match against Melbourne for our Round 12, 2021 match against Fremantle at Optus Stadium on Sunday Arvo?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
28-05-2021, 10:52 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 11:07 PM
With no VFL it’s hard. Garcia is out with concussion protocol. Not sure who comes in. McNeil looked slower tonight, maybe he needs to be managed.

Testekill
28-05-2021, 11:22 PM
Out: Garcia (inj), Lipinski, Cordy

In: Scott, Gardner, West

I'd honestly drop Crozier as well; been killing us with ball in hand and he hasn't been good enough since his return from injury.

Hotdog60
28-05-2021, 11:56 PM
Out: Garcia (inj), Lipinski, Cordy

In: Scott, Gardner, West

I'd honestly drop Crozier as well; been killing us with ball in hand and he hasn't been good enough since his return from injury.

I thought Cordy was one of the better backs.
Maybe Lippa out Wally in and who know without the VFL.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 11:59 PM
I thought Cordy was one of the better backs.
Maybe Lippa out Wally in and who know without the VFL.

Man, I reckon Cordy did as well as could be expected tonight.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 12:03 AM
Man, I reckon Cordy did as well as could be expected tonight.

Same, he looked a million bucks on his non dominant compared to B. Smith. It was shades of me yelling at Suckling to just stick to your left foot, not everyone needs to kick both sides. Until he can show he can hit a target, or even just near it, take another option. The good thing is hopefully that’s the worst game he ever plays for our club tonight.

soupman
29-05-2021, 12:19 AM
Initial thoughts.

Crozier is such a nearly player. He intercepts so well but doesn't defend well body on body and is less than good with ball in hand. I'd be open to trying three talls and bringing Gardner in for him.

Garcia for Scott is an easy reverse change. We missed that extra crumbing pressure forward today. If Scott isn't right then whoever can play that role comes in, so Hannan, West and Cavarra are all candidates.

I don't mind the look of Butler, but not sure who I'd play him ahead of. Lipinski was ok, and plays a different role anyway, so I wouldn't swap them. Butler probably stays as the sub i guess.

Happy Days
29-05-2021, 12:48 AM
I don’t even know what to say here. Like who was that bad that we drop them?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2021, 12:51 AM
Given the players we have out and some tough games ahead, I think we need to invest in some more senior types.

Scott and Martin back when ready, but I'd also prefer West and Wallis over the likes of Garcia (inj), Butler (long way off it) and potentially Lipinski (might be needed for the short term as we don't have a heap of other options).

In - Martin, Scott, West, Wallis
Out - Sweet, Garcia, Butler, Lipinski

** I'd consider Young or Gardner dependent on Freos tall stocks.

jeemak
29-05-2021, 04:56 AM
I think we were a bit cute with putting both Garcia and Butler into the lineup tonight.

soupman
29-05-2021, 06:10 AM
I think we were a bit cute with putting both Garcia and Butler into the lineup tonight.

We didn't? I'm not sure the medical sub counts.

Plus they were never on the field at the same time

Mantis
29-05-2021, 06:54 AM

How was it cute?

Both deserved their opportunities after good form at the lower level and if we don’t select those 2 who do we select?

Topdog
29-05-2021, 08:17 AM

I think it's brilliant that we are 2nd on the ladder and still able to give crucial game time to our young players. Having used 38 or is it 39 players is something to be proud of

G-Mo77
29-05-2021, 08:52 AM
I really don't think we have the options for making a lot of changes. Probably Scott back for Garcia. Is Martin ready to come back?

Grantysghost
29-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Martin should be back this week.

SquirrelGrip
29-05-2021, 10:13 AM
I really don't think we have the options for making a lot of changes. Probably Scott back for Garcia. Is Martin ready to come back?

Bevo said in his press conference that Martin trained well on Thursday and they d be taking him to Perth.

1eyedog
29-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Shuffling deck chairs until VDM, Dunks and Treloar are ready.

Scott for Garcia
Martin for Sweet

comrade
29-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Shuffling deck chairs until VDM, Dunks and Treloar are ready.

Scott for Garcia
Martin for Sweet

VDM could be out for the year given he is having knee surgery and his body is pretty fragile any way. Dunks and Treloar are 2 months away. If we're hanging out for these guys, the next few months are going to be hard to swallow.

Go_Dogs
29-05-2021, 11:24 AM
In: Martin, Scott

Out: Sweet, Garcia

If McNeil needs a rest, then I’d bring in Wally too.

1eyedog
29-05-2021, 11:39 AM
VDM could be out for the year given he is having knee surgery and his body is pretty fragile any way. Dunks and Treloar are 2 months away. If we're hanging out for these guys, the next few months are going to be hard to swallow.

Agreed we need to make the best of what's available. I'm concerned being two elite mids down when we rely so much on our mids dominating.

bornadog
29-05-2021, 12:27 PM
In: Martin, Scott

Out: Sweet, Garcia

If McNeil needs a rest, then I’d bring in Wally too.

McNeil gave us nothing last night, just 1 tackle, I would drop him for West or Wally.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 01:10 PM
McNeil gave us nothing last night, just 1 tackle, I would drop him for West or Wally.

Our f50 pressure was near non-existent last night. Do we really rely on atmosphere that much to get up for a game?

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 01:15 PM
Our f50 pressure was near non-existent last night. Do we really rely on atmosphere that much to get up for a game?
Seemed that way didn’t it. If that first quarter wasn’t going thru the motions, I don’t know what is. Let’s not forget though..Dees look well drilled, have the best backline and ruckman in the league. They SHOULDVE been 11-0 after last night, and based on their easy draw (unless COVID changes that), they should finish well clear in the #1 spot.

azabob
29-05-2021, 03:12 PM

Not sure on that. Against the saints early on their was no atmosphere at the ground.

Bullies
29-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Need a few hardened bodies to come in - Wallis and West come to mind.

If Wallis didn't play this week with all the injuries then not sure he is in the mind of the Match Committee.

He would have been handy to come on for Garcia with the pressure he applies.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Not sure on that. Against the saints early on their was no atmosphere at the ground.

I take your point, but mentally there is a big difference between a quiet crowd and an empty stadium. Even the low roar of a quiet crowd is loud compared to a huge empty stadium.

We didn’t exactly set the world on fire in the 1st quarter against the saints either ;)

Hotdog60
29-05-2021, 05:56 PM
If VDM is out for the year does that mean we can take a mid season draft pick?

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-05-2021, 09:21 PM
Need a few hardened bodies to come in - Wallis and West come to mind.

If Wallis didn't play this week with all the injuries then not sure he is in the mind of the Match Committee.

He would have been handy to come on for Garcia with the pressure he applies.
The decision by the MC not to find replacements in the midfield for Dunkley and Treloar against Melbourne left us terribly exposed with Liberatore being tagged, to play his quietest game for the year. Let’s hope common sense prevails against Freo with both Wally and West recalled to boost the midfield.

bornadog
30-05-2021, 11:34 AM
Club Update:

UPDATE: We will now be basing ourselves in Sydney this week and flying to Perth on Saturday.We will depart this afternoon.

Testekill
30-05-2021, 11:35 AM
If VDM is out for the year does that mean we can take a mid season draft pick?

Unfortunately I think we might have left it for too late.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Going to be a tough week and unsettling for the group. Can galvanise or mess it up for us.

Important game this one, need the win.

Sounds like we will have 26-28 players on call - will be just about every fit player we have.

comrade
30-05-2021, 11:48 AM
Going to be a tough week and unsettling for the group. Can galvanise or mess it up for us.

Important game this one, need the win.

Sounds like we will have 26-28 players on call - will be just about every fit player we have.

Covid doing it's best to *!*!*!*! our season.

Mantis
30-05-2021, 11:57 AM
The decision by the MC not to find replacements in the midfield for Dunkley and Treloar against Melbourne left us terribly exposed with Liberatore being tagged, to play his quietest game for the year. Let’s hope common sense prevails against Freo with both Wally and West recalled to boost the midfield.

Lipinski was the chosen replacement and was a big part of the midfield rotation in the first half, but he was horrible in this role and was moved to an outside role after half time.

Whilst we will never know I’m thinking Garcia would’ve had some midfield minutes too as the game went on as he had been playing that role in the VFL team.. and outperforming the players you mentioned.

Wallis should never be back in our midfield rotation unless we seriously have no one left... his skill set has meant he has become a forward only player and going back to him as a mid is a big step backwards.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2021, 12:12 PM
Our mid A team is awesome but losing Dunks and Treloar means we are in trouble if a side can do what Dees did to Libba. Lipsinki is really limited, terrible w pace and defensive nous but maybe we just have to play him for the time being as he is clean and has quality disposal. I don't know how we hide his deficiencies in the right way.

In: Scott, Martin
Out: Garcia, Sweet

Do we flip the added time in engine room to put in a tagger/run with? I really don't want us to give big mins to Lip here, especially early in game. Or when it's at a crucial stage at all...

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Lipinski was the chosen replacement and was a big part of the midfield rotation in the first half, but he was horrible in this role and was moved to an outside role after half time.

Whilst we will never know I’m thinking Garcia would’ve had some midfield minutes too as the game went on as he had been playing that role in the VFL team.. and outperforming the players you mentioned.

Wallis should never be back in our midfield rotation unless we seriously have no one left... his skill set has meant he has become a forward only player and going back to him as a mid is a big step backwards.

Compared to Melbourne we fielded a very inexperienced line up without the likes of Wood Martin Dunkley and Treloar. Wallis at least as the chosen Vice Captain would provide invaluable on field leadership support to Bont.

Mantis
30-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Compared to Melbourne we fielded a very inexperienced line up without the likes of Wood Martin Dunkley and Treloar. Wallis at least as the chosen Vice Captain would provide invaluable on field leadership support to Bont.

I'm not sure that's the case given they had more players in their team who had played under 50 games compared to us (6 to 8) and the average games played was very close (82 v 88).

I know there's lots of our fans that want Wallis back in the team, but his form has been just ok and the limitations in his game mean he can only play as a forward and realistically with his skillset he plays as a 'tall' and he isn't getting a game before our 3 talls.

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2021, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure that's the case given they had more players in their team who had played under 50 games compared to us (6 to 8) and the average games played was very close (82 v 88).

I know there's lots of our fans that want Wallis back in the team, but his form has been just ok and the limitations in his game mean he can only play as a forward and realistically with his skillset he plays as a 'tall' and he isn't getting a game before our 3 talls.

I respectfully disagree and would consider Wallis for a midfield role. His form at Footscray has been very good when played there.

I concede that he is slow, but he is also good one on one and finds the footy. He also distributes well and would have added another dimension when Libba was tagged.

westbulldog
30-05-2021, 12:45 PM
In Martin West Wallis Scott
Out Sweet Garcia Butler McNeil

Sweet was given a hiding in all aspects by Gawn and needs to reflect on that.
Lipinski out of the mids or Fyfe and Mundy will destroy him.
JJ to get a not so friendly reminder about his contribution v Melbourne.

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Out Sweet Garcia Butler McNeil

Sweet was given a hiding in all aspects by Gawn and needs to reflect on that.
Lipinski out of the mids or Fyfe and Mundy will destroy him.
JJ to get a not so friendly reminder about his contribution v Melbourne.

Fyfe and Mundy will most likely destroy us total. They love going fwd and our mids are known for their less defensive qualities. Oh dont worry, Fyfe won’t be missing any set shots against us. We will probably play him into goal kicking form.

Mantis
30-05-2021, 02:06 PM
Fyfe and Mundy will most likely destroy us total. They love going fwd and our mids are known for their less defensive qualities. Oh dont worry, Fyfe won’t be missing any set shots against us. We will probably play him into goal kicking form.

Aren't you just a bundle of positivity. ;)

Sure we struggled on Friday night, but between Bont, Libba & Macrae we have 3 of the 10 best mids in the competition based on out-put this year... of course it's going to be a challenge against Fremantle, but have a little faith!

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 02:11 PM
Aren't you just a bundle of positivity. ;)

Sure we struggled on Friday night, but between Bont, Libba & Macrae we have 3 of the 10 best mids in the competition based on out-put this year... of course it's going to be a challenge against Fremantle, but have a little faith!

Lol I do have faith, but I know what Fyfe is capable of, and I know what Fyfe has done to us in the past. Mundy is playing as well as ever, and throw the turmoil of COVID, and it’s going to be a very tough obstacle. I’m hopeful, but it’s only hope at this stage.

Happy Days
30-05-2021, 02:14 PM
Out: McNeil, Sweet

In: West, Martin

Reckon that game might have be the death of Sweet hive. He's not ready and I'm not so sure he ever will be.

Regardless, we should beat Freo. We're better than them.

azabob
30-05-2021, 02:23 PM

Reckon that game might have be the death of Sweet hive. He's not ready and I'm not so sure he ever will be.

Butler to come/stay in for Garcia?

Happy Days
30-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Butler to come/stay in for Garcia?

Totally forgot about him, absolutely not.

Hopefully Hannan is ready to go, if not him then Scott.

1eyedog
30-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Can Bailey Williams go into the middle and do a Darcy Parish? Didn't he rack up 46 against men during his draft year? Just spitballing.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2021, 02:31 PM
Can Bailey Williams go into the middle and do a Darcy Parish? Didn't he rack up 46 against men during his draft year? Just spitballing.

Didn’t he do a full preseason with the mids 3 years ago?

Happy Days
30-05-2021, 02:31 PM

I don't think I'm comfortable with him not playing down back.

bornadog
30-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Out Sweet Garcia Butler McNeil .

You have 4 ins but only 3 outs. Butler doesn't count as he was a medical sub.

Grantysghost
30-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Possible Rd 12 fixture has us playing late Sunday.

https://i.postimg.cc/7LRCvYWK/20210530-153251.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

comrade
30-05-2021, 05:57 PM
Surely that Saints game is at Giants stadium? Playing a home game against the Swans is a tad harsh.

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Surely that Saints game is at Giants stadium? Playing a home game against the Swans is a tad harsh.
Agree, and this could be a problem going fwd, like when we play them

Grantysghost
30-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Bevo's transitioned from Salty Dog to Stairway to Heaven?
https://i.postimg.cc/vZW3XT0w/20210530-172510.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

EasternWest
30-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Bevo's transitioned from Salty Dog to Stairway to Heaven?
https://i.postimg.cc/vZW3XT0w/20210530-172510.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

How else will he get his tommy gun interstate?

bulldogsthru&thru
30-05-2021, 07:00 PM

I think the idea is they swap home games as they play Sydney again later in the year.

1eyedog
30-05-2021, 08:17 PM
Didn’t he do a full preseason with the mids 3 years ago?

I think you're right.

comrade
30-05-2021, 08:34 PM
I think the idea is they swap home games as they play Sydney again later in the year.

Yeah, good luck with that!

Scraggers
30-05-2021, 08:42 PM
So apparently 27 players have travelled? Wallis and JUH are not among the travellers.

MrMahatma
30-05-2021, 08:55 PM

You think Sweet won’t make it... ever? Why?

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2021, 09:28 PM
So apparently 27 players have travelled? Wallis and JUH are not among the travellers.

That is really just so disappointing, I don’t believe that could happen. What if they are locked Ron for a month why wouldn’t you take extras snd posy the long game.

Happy Days
30-05-2021, 10:07 PM
You think Sweet won’t make it... ever? Why?

He’s got nice skills but is way way way too contest to contest right now, which means he can’t get involved in possession chains and use his nice skills. When it’s your whole deal 3 possessions is really not good enough. And his actual ruckwork is a mile off.

SquirrelGrip
31-05-2021, 11:36 AM

Do we know who the 27 are? Surely with all our WOOF contacts we could find that out?

westbulldog
31-05-2021, 11:54 AM
You have 4 ins but only 3 outs. Butler doesn't count as he was a medical sub.

Freo go well on their homedeck. we might need 1 extra :) but Lipinski.

Thanks for the reminder.

Mantis
31-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Do we know who the 27 are? Surely with all our WOOF contacts we could find that out?

Martin & Gardner were at the airport... would assume Scott would go too.

comrade
31-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Martin & Gardner were at the airport... would assume Scott would go too.

I reckon they'd take Garcia too, good chance to catch up with family while over there.

Happy Days
31-05-2021, 12:20 PM
Per Twitter Butler is definitely there for some reason.

bornadog
31-05-2021, 12:22 PM
Per Twitter Butler is definitely there for some reason.

I can't make out too many in this shot. Martin, Scott? Libba of course

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2rb-XUVEAMmHmR?format=jpg&name=large

comrade
31-05-2021, 12:24 PM
I can't make out too many in this shot

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2rb-XUVEAMmHmR?format=jpg&name=large

Hannan, Bazlenka, Martin, Scott, Hunter, McNeil are definitely in that picture. Maybe Cordy, JJ and Butler.

Threedogs
31-05-2021, 03:07 PM
Herald Sun reporting this afternoon that the entire playing group from the Melb game has gone to Sydney except Garcia (injured). In addition, Dogs have taken Martin, West, Gardner, Scott and Hannan.

Mofra
31-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Herald Sun reporting this afternoon that the entire playing group from the Melb game has gone to Sydney except Garcia (injured). In addition, Dogs have taken Martin, West, Gardner, Scott and Hannan.
Garcia out, in a role for role swap does that mean it's out of Scott and Hannan?
I imagine Gardner gets to be the injury sub in lieu of Butler.

bornadog
31-05-2021, 08:11 PM
In - Martin , Hannan , Scott
Out - McNeil , Garcia and Sweet
McNeil to be the sub

Rocco Jones
31-05-2021, 09:52 PM
In - Martin , Hannan , Scott
Out - McNeil , Garcia and Sweet
McNeil to be the sub

+ 1.

Doc26
31-05-2021, 10:13 PM

27 players in the travelling posse, and assuming the ~8 listed injured players not amongst them, leaves only a handful of fit players left at home. Seems a very large fall from grace for Mitch from circa 2020, to then being named Vice Captain in the pre-season, that he isn’t a part of Bevo’s travelling band.

I am unconvinced that Mitch is not at least in our best 27 of 40 odd. This smells off when he should be as fresh as a daisy, and contributing in hostile territory with his leadership to the playing group which had only recently voted him in.

dalek
31-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Garcia out, in a role for role swap does that mean it's out of Scott and Hannan?
I imagine Gardner gets to be the injury sub in lieu of Butler.

Garcia is out because of concussion protocol.

soupman
31-05-2021, 11:29 PM
27 players in the travelling posse, and assuming the ~8 listed injured players not amongst them, leaves only a handful of fit players left at home. Seems a very large fall from grace for Mitch from circa 2020, to then being named Vice Captain in the pre-season, that he isn’t a part of Bevo’s travelling band.

I am unconvinced that Mitch is not at least in our best 27 of 40 odd. This smells off when he should be as fresh as a daisy, and contributing in hostile territory with his leadership to the playing group which had only recently voted him in.

Pretty sure he was reluctant to leave VIC considering his young family. And he plays a role which kind of doesn't exist in our current setup. English succeeding as a tall forward has made it very hard for Wallis, and I don't think the club see's him as an inside mid unless we have broken all the other glass first.

Doc26
01-06-2021, 12:32 AM
Pretty sure he was reluctant to leave VIC considering his young family. And he plays a role which kind of doesn't exist in our current setup. English succeeding as a tall forward has made it very hard for Wallis, and I don't think the club see's him as an inside mid unless we have broken all the other glass first.

There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain. Any reluctance he might have would be based on how he sees himself currently in the eyes of this MC.

Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder where he generally receives little more than a handful of touches with some decent pressure acts.

In addition to what Mitch could offer our midfield rotation, whether as support to Libba on the inside, or as a negating inside mid, he can also effectively pinch hit effectively up forward.

I could argue a case where he would be better served than others currently being selected in front of him.

One thing Mitch has shown is that he can reinvent himself when presented with an opportunity, from inside mid to a lead up 3rd tall forward, and coming from adversity in his recovery from a seriously bad injury.

IMO he is a case where his benefits to the team are being ignored because of a singular view that he is not quick enough for the style that we wish to play.

I see it as shortsightedness, and possibly stubbornness, particularly as the younger players currently in favour with the coach fall off as the season progresses.

soupman
01-06-2021, 12:37 AM
Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder, or as a negating midfielder, who can also pinch hit up forward.

McNeill hasn't played any mid time afaik. He has been playing as a crumbing forward and is in the side primarily for his pressure acts. Wallis doesn't have the attributes for this role I suspect, we are looking for a natural crumber who has pace and can cover a lot of ground.

There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain.

Yes agree, and from what we can tell (basically just Mark Stevens tweet) Mitch has made this choice, not us for him.

Doc26
01-06-2021, 12:57 AM
McNeill hasn't played any mid time afaik. He has been playing as a crumbing forward and is in the side primarily for his pressure acts. Wallis doesn't have the attributes for this role I suspect, we are looking for a natural crumber who has pace and can cover a lot of ground.

Not in the primary starting midfield per se, but regularly McNeill is setup around the stoppages forward of centre applying defensive pressure acts on the opposition smalls. Just part of an extended midfield generally forward of centre.

Mantis
01-06-2021, 09:05 AM
There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain. Any reluctance he might have would be based on how he sees himself currently in the eyes of this MC.

Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder where he generally receives little more than a handful of touches with some decent pressure acts.

In addition to what Mitch could offer our midfield rotation, whether as support to Libba on the inside, or as a negating inside mid, he can also effectively pinch hit effectively up forward.

I could argue a case where he would be better served than others currently being selected in front of him.

One thing Mitch has shown is that he can reinvent himself when presented with an opportunity, from inside mid to a lead up 3rd tall forward, and coming from adversity in his recovery from a seriously bad injury.

IMO he is a case where his benefits to the team are being ignored because of a singular view that he is not quick enough for the style that we wish to play.

I see it as shortsightedness, and possibly stubbornness, particularly as the younger players currently in favour with the coach fall off as the season progresses.

You really think that? I would think that Wally is on the outside because of other factors other than just pace.

With regard to how he re-invented himself as a 3rd tall with that role now being filled by an actual tall shouldn't Wallis be competing for a spot with Bruce & Naughton; because by no means is Mitch a small forward in the truest form?

Mantis
01-06-2021, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure on the likelihood as he's listed as a test, but with Taberner a possible return would you think we bring Gardner back as I'm not really comfortable having just Keath & Cordy in to tackle Lobb (206cm) & Taberner (198cm)?

1eyedog
01-06-2021, 09:23 AM

My feeling is that Libba has Wally's spot and unless Libba is injured Wally won't get a look in. We seem reluctant to play two slow inside players for fear of being too one-paced, and probably rightfully so.

1eyedog
01-06-2021, 09:47 AM
Not in the primary starting midfield per se, but regularly McNeill is setup around the stoppages forward of centre applying defensive pressure acts on the opposition smalls. Just part of an extended midfield generally forward of centre.

McNeil helps us spread from stoppages and has pace so he can 1. apply pressure where needed and 2. has the ability to harass the opposition across multiple contests. Mitch's shortcomings come to the fore in this space because he just doesn't have the legs to follow up while defending or the legs to create space moving forward. He's an inside distributor and a very good one, problem is we have a better one in the side at the moment.

bornadog
01-06-2021, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure on the likelihood as he's listed as a test, but with Taberner a possible return would you think we bring Gardner back as I'm not really comfortable having just Keath & Cordy in to tackle Lobb (206cm) & Taberner (198cm)?

Treacy is 193cm, so maybe Cordy to Treacy, and Keatrh and Gardner on Lobb and Taberner

Doc26
01-06-2021, 10:34 AM
You really think that? I would think that Wally is on the outside because of other factors other than just pace.

With regard to how he re-invented himself as a 3rd tall with that role now being filled by an actual tall shouldn't Wallis be competing for a spot with Bruce & Naughton; because by no means is Mitch a small forward in the truest form?

I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it.

Anyway, from Mitch’s lack of pace means that he has struggled with the defensive requirements of the modern game, meaning the pressure to retain the ball in the forward fifty is compromised, and with this the opportunity for the opposition to set up scoring opportunities from defence. These would be the MC’s biggest concerns.

With that said, I still believe the strengths that he brings outweighs what McNeill is offering currently, and most certainly should be part of the travelling group as VC of the team.

comrade
01-06-2021, 10:35 AM
I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it.

Anyway, from Mitch’s lack of pace means that he has struggled with the defensive requirements of the modern game, meaning the pressure to retain the ball in the forward fifty is compromised, and with this the opportunity for the opposition to set up scoring opportunities from defence. These would be the MC’s biggest concerns.

With that said, I still believe the strengths that he brings outweighs what McNeill is offering currently, and most certainly should be part of the travelling group as VC of the team.

Can't take him interstate if he doesn't want to go which seems to be the likely scenario.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2021, 12:34 PM
What do we do with centre bounce attendances? Does Baz take up all of Lip's time as back up to Bont, Macrae and Libba? Baz isn't going great bout his base line clearly safer than Lip. Anyone else who could go in?

Happy Days
01-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Baz didn't go to a single centre bounce last weekend. I would be changing that immediately and think that him on the inside and Lipinski on the outside gives them both the best chance of succeeding.

Axe Man
01-06-2021, 12:42 PM
What do we do with centre bounce attendances? Does Baz take up all of Lip's time as back up to Bont, Macrae and Libba? Baz isn't going great bout his base line clearly safer than Lip. Anyone else who could go in?

After the big 3 who all attended 19 or 20 out of 25, Smith attended 9, Lipa 7 and Hunter 1. I would assume it will look similar on Sunday, unless Lipa is dropped which would require a rejig.

Axe Man
01-06-2021, 12:43 PM
Baz didn't go to a single centre bounce last weekend. I would be changing that immediately and think that him on the inside and Lipinski on the outside gives them both the best chance of succeeding.

He went to 9 actually, although it was on Friday so technically you are correct. ;)

Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/624305/secrets-to-success-every-club-s-cbas-and-kick-ins-for-r11)

comrade
01-06-2021, 12:43 PM

Baz looks good bursting out the front of the stoppage (see our first goal) but defensively he's the worst of our mids, which is a liability when you consider Bont, Libba and Macrae aren't exactly focused on what their direct opponent is doing either.

bornadog
01-06-2021, 12:47 PM
when you consider Bont, Libba and Macrae aren't exactly focused on what their direct opponent is doing either.

I would dispute that with the tackle numbers. Macrae had 9 tackles last week, Bont 8 and Libba 6

The Underdog
01-06-2021, 12:56 PM
Baz looks good bursting out the front of the stoppage (see our first goal) but defensively he's the worst of our mids, which is a liability when you consider Bont, Libba and Macrae aren't exactly focused on what their direct opponent is doing either.

He’s a lot quicker running forward with the footy than he is running backwards to defend.

comrade
01-06-2021, 01:01 PM
I would dispute that with the tackle numbers. Macrae had 9 tackles last week, Bont 8 and Libba 6

They tightened up after quarter time but when the game was on the line early, not enough respect was shown. As I said, Bazlenka is much worse than these 3 at the defensive side. Melbourne's inside mid group got 25 of 30 (including Gawn) coaches votes - their guys whipped ours.

Grantysghost
01-06-2021, 01:23 PM
They tightened up after quarter time but when the game was on the line early, not enough respect was shown. As I said, Bazlenka is much worse than these 3 at the defensive side. Melbourne's inside mid group got 25 of 30 (including Gawn) coaches votes - their guys whipped ours.

It was won in the midfield for sure.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2021, 01:27 PM

Yep. When they got it they burst through very easily.

Happy Days
01-06-2021, 01:34 PM
He went to 9 actually, although it was on Friday so technically you are correct. ;)

Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/624305/secrets-to-success-every-club-s-cbas-and-kick-ins-for-r11)

Damn read it wrong. Thought it was peculiar.

comrade
01-06-2021, 01:44 PM

Certainly early on when the game was on the line, they were given way too much latitude. I recall one passage where Petracca was in acres of space in the corridor, that just can't happen. Then our turnovers piled up and it was a bridge too far. Twice our midfield has gone missing during important periods and twice we've been beaten.

bornadog
01-06-2021, 01:53 PM
Certainly early on when the game was on the line, they were given way too much latitude. I recall one passage where Petracca was in acres of space in the corridor, that just can't happen. Then our turnovers piled up and it was a bridge too far. Twice our midfield has gone missing during important periods and twice we've been beaten.

The turnovers mainly came from the back six, and that killed us.

We were way up on clearances and stoppages, including in the first quarter.

If we talk midfield, and Libba yes, they won the battle there. Similar thing happened in the Richmond game, where Libba was absolutely on top in the first half, and then only had 1 disposal in the 3rd quarter.

We need a plan B when Libba is being beaten

comrade
01-06-2021, 01:55 PM
The turnovers mainly came from the back six, and that killed us.

We were way up on clearances and stoppages, including in the first quarter.

If we talk midfield, and Libba yes, they won the battle there. Similar thing happened in the Richmond game, where Libba was absolutely on top in the first half, and then only had 1 disposal in the 3rd quarter.

We need a plan B when Libba is being beaten

If you clamp Libba, you go a fair way to stopping us. Will be interesting to see how other clubs try to do it now it's been proven effective twice.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2021, 01:57 PM
If you clamp Libba, you go a fair way to stopping us. Will be interesting to see how other clubs try to do it now it's been proven effective twice.

Especially with no Dunkley.

comrade
01-06-2021, 02:06 PM

He has been such a loss.

Grantysghost
01-06-2021, 02:11 PM

God we miss him hey. Why was he the ruckman... Ever?

Grantysghost
01-06-2021, 02:13 PM

I think it goes back to the thread MJP started with the question do we go head to head or do we plan to stop them.
We went head to head.
Melbourne had the plan. We know which worked.

So they've played their hand or some of it, next time will be fascinating as we countered it well for three quarters.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2021, 02:15 PM
I think it goes back to the thread MJP started with the question do we go head to head or do we plan to stop them.
We went head to head.
Melbourne had the plan. We know which worked.

So they've played their hand or some of it, next time will be fascinating as we countered it well for three quarters.

They revealed more than their hand. They showed us everything. Credit to them. They totally shut us down. But it's round 11 and it's now up to us to figure out how to respond. Melbourne have set a blueprint on how to stop us. But they also gave up their strategy for winning. Up to everyone else to break it down.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2021, 03:04 PM

I hear you, until he gets stronger in the area, I would prefer him in his current role. The issue is we need someone to take up added load and I prefer him to Lip. Is there a run/tag type we could go with?

comrade
01-06-2021, 03:08 PM
I hear you, until he gets stronger in the area, I would prefer him in his current role. The issue is we need someone to take up added load and I prefer him to Lip. Is there a run/tag type we could go with?

Toby McLean was really finding some form in that role prior to the ACL. *!*!*!*!ing COVID has put his comeback on hold but if he can somehow get match fit enough, I'd be replacing Lippa with him in a heartbeat.

bornadog
01-06-2021, 03:08 PM

Mclean should be available. He needs a couple of games in the VFL, and he can be brought in to do the run with role.

Edit: Comrade beat me to it

Ozza
04-06-2021, 05:21 PM
so we have the following on the bench

Martin, Butler, Sweet, R,Smith, West, Lipinski, Gardner, Scott

who are the final 4 (and the 1)

I'm going with;
Martin, R.Smith, Lipinski, Gardner - and Scott as Medi Sub.

Think Westy, Sweet and Butler will miss out.

GVGjr
04-06-2021, 05:51 PM
so we have the following on the bench

Martin, Butler, Sweet, R,Smith, West, Lipinski, Gardner, Scott

who are the final 4 (and the 1)

I'm going with;
Martin, R.Smith, Lipinski, Gardner - and Scott as Medi Sub.

Think Westy, Sweet and Butler will miss out.
That would be my guess as well

azabob
04-06-2021, 06:05 PM
ROUND 12 TEAM

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs
Sunday 6 June, 4.40pm AWST / 6.40pm AEST
Optus Stadium

B: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Hayden Crozier
HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel
C: Bailey Dale, Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen
HF: Lachie Hunter, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
F: Mitch Hannan, Aaron Naughton, Marcus Bontempelli
R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith
Int: Stefan Martin, Anthony Scott, Roarke Smith, Ryan Gardner
Emer: Rhylee West, Louis Butler, Pat Lipinski, Jordon Sweet

In: Stefan Martin, Anthony Scott, Mitch Hannan, Ryan Gardner
Out: Riley Garcia (concussion), Louis Butler (medi-sub), Pat Lipinski, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet

comrade
04-06-2021, 06:06 PM
When are Sunday teams finalised now?

EDIT: Nevermind :D

bulldogsthru&thru
04-06-2021, 06:12 PM
Interesting changes. Essentially Scott for McNeil and Martin for Sweet. But then we've brought in a forward and tall defender for 2 mids.

Axe Man
04-06-2021, 06:13 PM
Not surprising. The match committee love Scott and have previously shown they have little patience when Lipinski underperforms.

comrade
04-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Will be interesting to see how the extra height in defence works for us, unfortunately neither Cordy or Gardner are proficient at intercepting but it might free one of them up to give us some ability to win the ball back in the air in D50. Maybe we even try to get Keath off the leash?

I like the ins and really hope Stef can get back to his early round form.

kruder
04-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Lippa has had his chances, I had my fingers crossed for him but until he can improve his defensive aspects of his game he stays in the seconds for mine, I couldn’t trust him in a prelim at this stage.

Would like to have seen Westy get a look into our midfield rotations while we lack depth in there.

bornadog
04-06-2021, 06:28 PM
I am happy with the team.

Grantysghost
04-06-2021, 06:32 PM

It's time for Bevo to go, he's had his chance now we need some fresh ideas :cool:

G-Mo77
04-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Gardner straight back in? He did nothing wrong pre injury but bloody he'll, what has Lewis Young done to Bevo?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Team looks unbalanced for mine.

I don't disagree with Lipinski - he's been putrid basically all year and I'm not sure I'd play him again this year.

I think West as a mid/forward would have been nice to see, given we're a bit light in the midfield.

azabob
04-06-2021, 06:41 PM
Will be interesting to see how the extra height in defence works for us, unfortunately neither Cordy or Gardner are proficient at intercepting but it might free one of them up to give us some ability to win the ball back in the air in D50. Maybe we even try to get Keath off the leash?

I like the ins and really hope Stef can get back to his early round form.

Bevo alluded earlier the week he’d like to look at the taller defence with a view to our games against Geelong and the Eagles with their tall timber. I’m actually surprised he followed through with it.

GVGjr
04-06-2021, 07:08 PM

Same here, no excuses

bulldogsthru&thru
04-06-2021, 07:15 PM
I don’t mind the ins at all. Just look a bit unbalanced but I suppose we don’t really have any mids left besides West.

Go_Dogs
04-06-2021, 07:25 PM
Plenty of experience / age in.

It’s a decent side.

I wonder if Keath plays interceptor, or we have Cordy/Gardner do it with more of a spoil first mentality?

G-Mo77
04-06-2021, 07:39 PM
Plenty of experience / age in.

It’s a decent side.

I wonder if Keath plays interceptor, or we have Cordy/Gardner do it with more of a spoil first mentality?

I'd guess so, it's pretty much all Gardner can do, punch the ball. It's why I'm so disappointed we didn't put time into Young as he seems to have a better tool kit. I guess we'll never see it.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-06-2021, 07:52 PM
I'd guess so, it's pretty much all Gardner can do, punch the ball. It's why I'm so disappointed we didn't put time into Young as he seems to have a better tool kit. I guess we'll never see it.

We really should only be playing one of Gardner or Cordy and not both. They're essentially the same player - undersized, questionable defensive game, no rebound. Gardner has improved and at least covers the ground better, Cordy has the experience but I fail to see why we play both.

Agree that Young makes more sense if we wanted a tall defensive group given he adds a point of difference.

hujsh
04-06-2021, 08:02 PM
We really should only be playing one of Gardner or Cordy and not both. They're essentially the same player - undersized, questionable defensive game, no rebound. Gardner has improved and at least covers the ground better, Cordy has the experience but I fail to see why we play both.

Agree that Young makes more sense if we wanted a tall defensive group given he adds a point of difference.

Gardner doesn't seem undersized, perhaps a bit slim you might argue but I'd say that's to keep mobility

kruder
04-06-2021, 08:09 PM
I like Bevo experimenting with the three tall defenders, he gave an insight on SEN during the of the week on his thoughts on the balance of the side definitely worth a listen.

Will will have to think about it against Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong, Richmond and WCE.

I think what it does do, is enable Williams to get really dangerous off half back(rather then being third tall) I think he Daniel and Dale will be critical in generating scores in this one with our midfield lacking a little depth.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2021, 10:10 PM
West or Lippa the medical sub obviously. Off to read Scott’s Facebook now to see who it should be.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-06-2021, 10:30 PM
West or Lippa the medical sub obviously. Off to read Scott’s Facebook now to see who it should be.

Scotty has been pretty quite so he must be in ��

Bullies
05-06-2021, 10:55 PM

Agree that Young makes more sense if we wanted a tall defensive group given he adds a point of difference. Gardner plays a different role to Young. In the coming weeks we have Cats/Eagles so will need our tall defenders. Gardner will need to play a shut down role and that is not something Young can do.

G-Mo77
06-06-2021, 06:23 AM
Gardner plays a different role to Young. In the coming weeks we have Cats/Eagles so will need our tall defenders. Gardner will need to play a shut down role and that is not something Young can do.

He's never really been given the chance to play that role.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Gardner plays a different role to Young. In the coming weeks we have Cats/Eagles so will need our tall defenders. Gardner will need to play a shut down role and that is not something Young can do.

Lew Young appeals more as a change second ruck man who could eventually take over from Stef Martin, allowing Tim English as a permanent tall forward, where he looks better suited. I also see Schache's future as a tall forward, in doubt, given our current 3 talls established, with the prospect of Jamarra to follow. Worth reading in today's Herald Sun by Mick Malthouse, his thoughts on Schache as a tall defender. IMO both Young and Schache's futures are in doubt, which is a pity, given their current lack of opportunities.

DOG GOD
06-06-2021, 01:27 PM
If Schache hadn’t been contracted this year, he would’ve been given the boot last year.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2021, 02:16 PM
If Schache hadn’t been contracted this year, he would’ve been given the boot last year.

I wound go that far about last year. Unless something dramatic happens, I see him being traded for peanuts this year. Which is a damn shame because I rate the kid, but sometimes they just don’t come on as we all want.

The slip side is say he and Wally are on just over average salary, $750,000 combined and we delist/trade about four others, and the wiggle room we apparently have in our salary cap, we will have a good amount tucked away to bring in talent.

DOG GOD
06-06-2021, 02:18 PM
I wound go that far about last year. Unless something dramatic happens, I see him being traded for peanuts this year. Which is a damn shame because I rate the kid, but sometimes they just don’t come on as we all want.

The slip side is say he and Wally are on just over average salary, $750,000 combined and we delist/trade about four others, and the wiggle room we apparently have in our salary cap, we will have a good amount tucked away to bring in talent.

I thought Schache might’ve been a possibility for a trade to NM last year, but I’m guessing no one showed any interest.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2021, 02:24 PM
I thought Schache might’ve been a possibility for a trade to NM last year, but I’m guessing no one showed any interest.

I never saw a single credible source or news outlet mention Schache being up for trade last year by us or him seeking a trade. Maybe he wasn’t, and if so, ‘interest’ has nothing to do with it.

DOG GOD
06-06-2021, 03:52 PM
I never saw a single credible source or news outlet mention Schache being up for trade last year by us or him seeking a trade. Maybe he wasn’t, and if so, ‘interest’ has nothing to do with it.
True.