PDA

View Full Version : Liberatore and the western bulldogs remain apart on new deal

bornadog
17-05-2021, 05:47 PM
link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/17/liberatore-and-the-western-bulldogs-remain-apart-on-new-deal/)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1kfrNHVoAAz9xo?format=jpg&name=medium

Tom Liberatore and the Western Bulldogs remain apart on the length of a new deal.

While a fresh contract for club captain and Brownlow medal favourite Marcus Bontempelli hogs the headlines, the Liberatore negotiations have hit an early hurdle.

Liberatore is in white-hot form for the 8-1 Bulldogs as the AFL’s No.1 ranked player for centre clearances and total clearances after Round 9. He also sits No.2 in the competition for contested possessions.

But at this stage the Bulldogs are only prepared to offer a one-year contract extension.

Liberatore, who turned 29 on Sunday, was made to wait until the end of 2018 to be offered a one-year deal after a second knee reconstruction saw him miss all but one quarter of that season.

But the inside midfielder made a bright start to 2019 and signed a two-year contract extension half-way through that season. It’s that deal which is due to expire at the end of the 2021 campaign.

It must be said it is only early in negotiations between Liberatore and the club. The Bulldogs want him to stay and Liberatore wants to stay, but there is water to go under the bridge.

Liberatore’s clearance work and vision in stoppage situations has been one of the key pillars of the Bulldogs scintillating start to the season.

It has been his grunt at the coalface that has unlocked a lot of class being shown by a deep on-ball unit.

Bontempelli is set to turn his back on free agency and re-commit to the Dogs with a lucrative new deal expected to be announced soon.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 05:48 PM
How long a contract would you give him?

bulldogtragic
17-05-2021, 05:52 PM
Two years.

Axe Man
17-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Happy to give him 2 years. He has likely played for unders most of his career, deserves a 2 year contract. If he subsequently breaks down at some stage so be it, he will have earned every cent.

jeemak
17-05-2021, 06:01 PM
Yeah I think you just roll the dice on two years and get on with it. There's nobody who can step into his role.

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 06:03 PM
One year is a little insulting isn't it? The guys been almost our best this season apart from Sir Marcus.
Two should've been the jumping off point.

jeemak
17-05-2021, 06:04 PM
One year is a little insulting isn't it? The guys been almost our best this season apart from Sir Marcus.
Two should've been the jumping off point.

They're probably privy to things we aren't around how his body is and what it takes for him to get up week in week out.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Two years!

Grantysghost
17-05-2021, 06:08 PM
They're probably privy to things we aren't around how his body is and what it takes for him to get up week in week out.

That's a good point, and they'll probably land at 2 I just don't want to unnecessarily put any ripples in the currently calm Liberatore waters. He's vital to our success.

Happy Days
17-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Really?

ratsmac
17-05-2021, 06:31 PM
If Wood can get 2 years Libba deserves at least that at a minimum. I'd give him 3

DOG GOD
17-05-2021, 06:45 PM
If Wood can get 2 years Libba deserves at least that at a minimum. I'd give him 3
Agree. I’d give him 3. He’s probably our most important mid (yes I know Bont Bont Bont), but Libba is the coal mine.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-05-2021, 06:53 PM
I’d give him 2. If we’re giving Wood, whose body is just as fragile and is older, 2 years then surely Libba is worth at least that.

Hotdog60
17-05-2021, 07:29 PM
I offer two with a trigger for a third if he wants it.

FrediKanoute
17-05-2021, 07:29 PM
Agree. I’d give him 3. He’s probably our most important mid (yes I know Bont Bont Bont), but Libba is the coal mine.

If you can find 2 years for Wood, with dodgy hammies, then 3 for Libba is a no brainer. Yeah the final year may be a bust, but 1 year is insulting.....

Hotdog60
17-05-2021, 07:31 PM
I'm also happy to hear the last bit "Bontempelli is set to turn his back on free agency and re-commit to the Dogs with a lucrative new deal expected to be announced soon."

Ghost Dog
17-05-2021, 07:44 PM
Just so entertaining to watch. One of the most enjoyable seasons so far and wish I could get to games. Very homesick.

GVGjr
17-05-2021, 08:41 PM

I think that is about right.

chef
17-05-2021, 08:52 PM
I'd give him 3.

Doc26
17-05-2021, 08:55 PM
Can’t say I’m anywhere near ready or prepared to stop the absolute pleasure of watching Libba go around for us. As an unabashed Libba tragic, two years would be the minimum I would be prepared to accept, with 3 on the table subject to how much I can still get to watch his mastery with the ball.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-05-2021, 08:58 PM
So we all love Libba. He is the heart and soul of our club. Great form, but the question is his long can his body hold up. It’s not like he is an outside jet. He gets bashed every week.

I have would like to see a new contract fir two years. But the kicker would be a one & one year at the new of it. So the two could by three then the three could be four.

It needs to have KPI’s worked into it (on and off the field) if his legs hold up we all win. If West can out him that’s also a win.

comrade
17-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Can’t say I’m anywhere near ready or prepared to stop the absolute pleasure of watching Libba go around for us. As an unabashed Libba tragic, two years would be the minimum I would be prepared to accept, with 3 on the table subject to how much I can still get to watch his mastery with the ball.

Yeah, I feel the same. The longer a Liberatore wears the red, white and blue the better.

Vred
17-05-2021, 09:23 PM

This.
if we gave Wood 2 Libba should get 3, most important midfielder by far.

azabob
17-05-2021, 09:24 PM
So we all love Libba. He is the heart and soul of our club. Great form, but the question is his long can his body hold up. It’s not like he is an outside jet. He gets bashed every week.

I have would like to see a new contract fir two years. But the kicker would be a one & one year at the new of it. So the two could by three then the three could be four.

It needs to have KPI’s worked into it (on and off the field) if his legs hold up we all win. If West can out him that’s also a win.

I think off field KPIs are unnecessary and would be an insult. Liberatore has a young family, hasn’t been a whiff of off field issues for how many years?

Bumper Bulldogs
17-05-2021, 09:54 PM
Sorry. I should actually clarify this. I was referring to Libba developing of others off field like a mentor. I recon he could accelerate the growth of all the young pups. I would work that somehow into his contract as even not playing he still could add value with his knowledge and determination

comrade
17-05-2021, 10:00 PM
Let's not forget, plenty thought his old man was cooked as a 30 year old and he kept chugging along for a further 6 years.

Imagine if Tom was still getting around as a 35 year old with his Homer Simpson tatt, god bless him.

bornadog
17-05-2021, 10:32 PM

This for me too

Bulldog Joe
17-05-2021, 10:51 PM
I would be happy to give Libba 3 or 2 with a trigger.

Fitness wise he seems in a good spot.

boydogs
17-05-2021, 11:02 PM
2 years, best form of his career but history of injuries and off field issues

bornadog
17-05-2021, 11:17 PM
2 years, best form of his career but history of injuries and off field issues

Off field issues - meh, when he was a young buck, he just turned 29 and I believe he is more mature. With two kids he has settled down.

MrMahatma
17-05-2021, 11:48 PM
3 years. He’s a beast and I’d expect us to be in contention for the next 3 years.

His game isn’t built on break away speed. Apart from the knees and his 2016 ankle (which is really just unlucky) he’s been pretty durable.

angelopetraglia
17-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Just get it done already. Sign him up. Two years minimum with maybe an incentive for a third. When he is playing well we win. It’s simple.

SonofScray
18-05-2021, 01:04 AM
2 with an option for 3

Some risk attached, but he’s paid his dues in advance. Important player for the squad. Important player for the Club.

Mofra
18-05-2021, 10:09 AM
It's harsh, but his knees are a ticking time bomb. I wouldn't give him 3.
Certainly 1 + 1 (trigger) and 2 if he took slight unders.

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Still, since his last reco how many has he missed? It's about the historical contribution as far as I'm concerned rather than perceived future risk. Surely no one at the club can predict if / when a knee will go.

Give the man two with a trigger-clause for a third.

One is a massive slap in the face based on what he's achieved, is currently achieving.

bornadog
18-05-2021, 10:19 AM
Still, since his last reco how many has he missed? It's about the historical contribution as far as I'm concerned rather than perceived future risk. Surely no one at the club can predict if / when a knee will go.

Give the man two with a trigger-clause for a third.

One is a massive slap in the face based on what he's achieved, is currently achieving.

Keep this form up and he should be AA

1eyedog
18-05-2021, 10:29 AM
Keep this form up and he should be AA

He's drawing more and more attention from the meeja re. how important he has been to us this year because of his clearance ability. Some suggested on the telecast on Saturday night that he should be in AA contention and that winning clearances is where the game is won. Hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Bulldog4life
18-05-2021, 12:27 PM
Libbab said on tele that he loves playing under Bevo. He aint going anywhere else. Give the man 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd.

Grantysghost
18-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Wonder if Libba's agent fed this info to Slamming Sammy Edmund. Not sure how he would know otherwise.

GVGjr
18-05-2021, 12:55 PM
Libbab said on tele that he loves playing under Bevo. He aint going anywhere else. Give the man 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd.

That's is the smart move. He will work his arse off to get the 3rd

Twodogs
18-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Off field issues - meh, when he was a young buck, he just turned 29 and I believe he is more mature. With two kids he has settled down.

I saw Libba a couple of weeks ago in Footscray. He stopped and talked to fans even though he probably had places to be and things to do. The fans didn't ask him to either, he just did it because he was aware that people knew he was Tom Libba. He was respectful, had a joke and said that he wanted more premierships.

If every player represented the club as well as he did and related to the average fan like that we'd have 250 000 members. Sign him up now!

Jeanette54
18-05-2021, 03:23 PM
Nobody works harder than Libba, offering one year is just an insult to this Bulldog warrior. Please Libba, we the fans had nothing to do with that. At least two, with a third year option.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-05-2021, 10:06 PM
I would also like to add. We are in a window of opportunity. If Libba gets a three year deal that makes us contender fir the next 5 or 6 years as it also allows the development of others and even if he falls over with injury. Surly we would write a “Get out of jail” clause in the contract.

Look at Tom Boyd. Best million we spent in a long time.

EasternWest
18-05-2021, 10:43 PM
That's is the smart move. He will work his arse off to get the 3rd

Why would we offer three years to a guy who wouldn't get a game in Essendon's midfield?

MrMahatma
19-05-2021, 12:50 AM
He may be the most underrated player in the league...

DOG GOD
19-05-2021, 12:39 PM
He may be the most underrated player in the league...
Absolutely, but heads are starting to turn about how clever he is and how influential he is.

WBFC4FFC
20-05-2021, 05:20 PM
I think that is about right.

Agree with the two but no trigger for a third.

If he is playing like he is now in two years time, then you would give him another two (versus one) like we have with Wood in his 30's, who is out injured once more.

azabob
23-05-2021, 03:11 PM
The other consideration is how much per season do we pay him and is his asking price going up by the week.

In Sammy Powers book would we have budgeted for $400-$450k per year?

Surely now Liberatore could command $500-$600K.

DOG GOD
23-05-2021, 03:24 PM
The other consideration is how much per season do we pay him and is his asking price going up by the week.

In Sammy Powers book would we have budgeted for $400-$450k per year?

Surely now Liberatore could command $500-$600K.
Agree. He’d have to be in the top 3 B&F right now. I’d say its more about “years” than “money”.