PDA

View Full Version : Do the Saints play "LIKE" the Tigers (and if so, what happens this week)??

mjp
19-05-2021, 01:55 PM
I have seen and heard a bit of commentary over the last 12-months or so about the way the Saints/coaches have modelled their recruiting and game-style on the Tigers.

- Repeat sprint enough runners on the flanks/wings (Billings et al compared with the Lambert gang).
- Consistent mids who have a defend first mentality (Ross and team, Cotchin etc)
- Key backs who play position over opposition (Howard is the 'Rance' of the Saints).
- Forward structure built around 2x keys - one for the 'lead' (King/Lynch) and one for the contest (Membrey/Jack).

The question I have is:

- Does anyone believe in this commentary?
- If they do, does it mean we are in TROUBLE? Or are we 'all good' having learned a great lesson a couple of weeks back.

MrMahatma
19-05-2021, 02:25 PM
Not sure. I am sure they aren’t as good as Richmond so even if they try to replicate the Tigers, they aren’t as good

The Saints always worry us and it’s always been their strengths are stronger than our weaknesses. If our mids can continue to perform we’ll be fine and our forward line, which is functioning as well as ever, will get it done.

Mofra
19-05-2021, 03:10 PM
They have attempted to play a similar style, albeit less effectively and with less consistency.

The pressure was right up against Geelong so we do need to recognise we won't have the kind of time and space some teams allow us.

bornadog
19-05-2021, 03:12 PM
I looked at the stats to see where Saints are strong, and the only area is they are good at stoppage clearances, but still ranked below us.

This year we are leading or no worse than 3rd, all the key stats - Cont Poss, Clearances, Marks inside 50, Scoring, I50, Cont Marks etc, whereas Saints are in bottom 8 in all those areas other than stoppages (4th to our 3rd). As far as Tackles go, they are about the same as us - we average 50 they average 48, but that was upped last week against Geelong to 87

Last year the Saints were ahead of us in all the key stats.

As for playing like the Tigers, I can't see they do. At one stage they were moving the ball very slowly, but the last few weeks they changed their game plan and have been trying to move quicker.

DOG GOD
19-05-2021, 05:08 PM
The main thing the saints had over us last year is..
1) dominance of Ryder/Marshall
2) hungrier in the contest and around the ball.

They have been known to come out and Hunt our players. They have done well in shutting players down, while allowing their lesser likes (remember that Geary effort last year), tearing us a new one. I can see what MJP is saying. When they pressure well, they look a lot like Richmond, and I believe they set up fwd very similar, but I think their backline is very suspect and doesn’t seem as cohesive as the Richmond backs.

I guess we shall see more come Saturday night.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Not worried about Saints.

More worried about complacency and a letdown after a big away win.

Saints are fast in the front half - but if we think through and don’t panic, buy time and hit targets by foot we will be ok. Our front half is far too good for their backline and our midfield a MILE AHEAD.

Scraggers
19-05-2021, 10:46 PM
The conversations around Max King mid-week are scarily similar to the conversations around Lynch from Richmond … just days before he ripped us a new one.

This game scares me.

We should win and win comfortably. But …

1eyedog
19-05-2021, 11:14 PM
Geez that club has just had a mare in the news. Not sure how they keep this one out of their heads as an entire club leading into this weekend's game. Sheez. I feel for the players.

Anyway, they can trouble us as much as any other side. Need to maintain the rage in the middle.

Happy Days
19-05-2021, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty worried about this game. The Saints legit always beat us, and have exhibited both the pace that has troubled us historically and the manic pressure (for one game anyway) that troubled us this year at points this season. They're a better side than what they've shown this year and they probably beat Geelong last week if they kick straight or even if Marshall didn't get hurt.

ratsmac
20-05-2021, 03:57 AM
I'm pretty worried about this game. The Saints legit always beat us, and have exhibited both the pace that has troubled us historically and the manic pressure (for one game anyway) that troubled us this year at points this season. They're a better side than what they've shown this year and they probably beat Geelong last week if they kick straight or even if Marshall didn't get hurt.

I'm sure the saints set themselves for us each season. When the fixture comes out they all get together and make sure they are fit and healthy and switched on mentally so they can take it right up to us. Especially if we are hot favourites to win!

mjp
20-05-2021, 08:01 AM
I'm sure the saints set themselves for us each season. When the fixture comes out they all get together and make sure they are fit and healthy and switched on mentally so they can take it right up to us. Especially if we are hot favourites to win!

I saw the Saints were $3 + outsiders...

I swear I watched them beat us in a final and that was only 10-games ago. And yep, I know Marshall is injured...but they have also added Brad Crouch and Jack Higgins.

I'm obviously grossly over-estimating the 'Aints and under-estimating us.

MrMahatma
20-05-2021, 08:43 AM
They’ve had the wood over us for a very long time.

This has all the hallmarks of them kicking the first 3 goals and the whole match being a struggle. Kind of like the Blues match but I wouldn’t want to rely on a last qtr like the one we had!

GVGjr
20-05-2021, 08:46 AM

I swear I watched them beat us in a final and that was only 10-games ago. And yep, I know Marshall is injured...but they have also added Brad Crouch and Jack Higgins.

It's a big game for us in terms of beating a team that we have struggled against in recent times and if I was a Saints supporter those odds would look tempting.
It might one of those sitting on the edge of the seats games for us supporters.

comrade
20-05-2021, 09:07 AM

And have lost Jones and Hannebury who both had a big influence in the final. Plus they're without their most dynamic mid in Gresham.

If English was playing I would be supremely confident as it helps nullify their advantage in the air, but he's not so it's going to be tight. They set themselves for the Dogs each year, bit of a H&A grand final for them.

We really need to be defensively switched on across the ground and do whatever it takes to ensure they don't have the handball option running past. They kept the ball in constant motion against us in the final, whenever they took a big contested mark (which was all the time!) they'd have a runner zipping past for the receive and we just got cut up by it.

I'll just be happy with a win, even if it's a close, messy scrap.

bornadog
20-05-2021, 09:54 AM
If English was playing I would be supremely confident as it helps nullify their advantage in the air, but he's not so it's going to be tight. They set themselves for the Dogs each year, bit of a H&A grand final for them.

We really need to be defensively switched on across the ground and do whatever it takes to ensure they don't have the handball option running past. They kept the ball in constant motion against us in the final, whenever they took a big contested mark (which was all the time!) they'd have a runner zipping past for the receive and we just got cut up by it.

I'll just be happy with a win, even if it's a close, messy scrap.

I don't think they have an advantage in the air. Contested Marks we sit 2nd and they are 13th, Marks inside 50, we are 1st and they are 11th

comrade
20-05-2021, 10:09 AM
I don't think they have an advantage in the air. Contested Marks we sit 2nd and they are 13th, Marks inside 50, we are 1st and they are 11th

I meant the advantage they had in the final against us. No Marshall certainly helps as does the form of Bruce and Naughton who both couldn't have played worse that day.

Carlisle also took marks for fun and Coffield had a field day just intercepting everything that came his way but both look unlikely to play this weekend.

Happy Days
20-05-2021, 10:16 AM
I meant the advantage they had in the final against us. No Marshall certainly helps as does the form of Bruce and Naughton who both couldn't have played worse that day.

Carlisle also took marks for fun and Coffield had a field day just intercepting everything that came his way but both look unlikely to play this weekend.

You just watched the match back and I can assure you I will not be - does my memory of Ryder turning into Nicnat hold true or is it one of those things that just looked worse that it was?

I swear the Saints (and Jack Billings) get up specifically for us. Their West Coast game, admittedly unreplicated since, was unbelievably impressive and I'm worried about our game style against that sort of pressure.

DOG GOD
20-05-2021, 05:56 PM
You just watched the match back and I can assure you I will not be - does my memory of Ryder turning into Nicnat hold true or is it one of those things that just looked worse that it was?

I swear the Saints (and Jack Billings) get up specifically for us. Their West Coast game, admittedly unreplicated since, was unbelievably impressive and I'm worried about our game style against that sort of pressure.
Yep, Billing’s plays one or 2 blinders a year..against us.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Yep, Billing’s plays one or 2 blinders a year..against us.

They basically get up just for us. I remember saints fans telling me after our flag that they beat us that year. You know. That game where Mitch snapped his leg in two and Redpath did his ACL again. You know. A year after they came back against us when Clay did his ACL for the 4th(?) time. I hear about that from saints fans too. How awesome Billings was because of that match. Don’t think they realised how big a morale killer Clay doing his ACL was.

One day the luck tide will turn against them. One day.

Go_Dogs
20-05-2021, 10:29 PM
They basically get up just for us. I remember saints fans telling me after our flag that they beat us that year. You know. That game where Mitch snapped his leg in two and Redpath did his ACL again. You know. A year after they came back against us when Clay did his ACL for the 4th(?) time. I hear about that from saints fans too. How awesome Billings was because of that match. Don’t think they realised how big a morale killer Clay doing his ACL was.

One day the luck tide will turn against them. One day.

That day is Saturday. Dogs 40+.

Vred
21-05-2021, 12:15 AM
If we can get over the Saint's that's basically all our ''boogie'' teams defeated for the year.. Except for maybe Richmond, but we've had their number for a while up until the last few games against them.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-05-2021, 12:19 AM
If we can get over the Saint's that's basically all our ''boogie'' teams defeated for the year.. Except for maybe Richmond, but we've had their number for a while up until the last few games against them.

Geelong.

bornadog
21-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Geelong.

Only at Geelong

Bulldog Joe
21-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Only at Geelong

What about Freo in Perth and of course West Coast.

Apart from the 2016 final we haven't won in Perth since 2010

bornadog
21-05-2021, 10:57 AM
What about Freo in Perth and of course West Coast.

Apart from the 2016 final we haven't won in Perth since 2010

Yeah I have those in Perth as a loss. But then again, this is a different team.