PDA

View Full Version : New book - "The Boys Club"

mjp
27-05-2021, 10:45 AM
Has anyone else bought this?

I'm up to chapter 4 (Which starts with a line about Lawrence Angwin being "off his face" and promises to explain the background behind the 3x policy etc).

What can I say - It is painting a very bleak picture of the operations within AFL house, about gross misconduct, misappropriation of funds and a partridge in a pear tree.

Mick Warner has written it and I am always suspicious of him due to his employer but it certainly seems as if this is a story that needs telling. Andrew Demetriou, Gillon, Mike Fitzpatrick...the list of names who it would seem the game would have been better off without is already growing.

Topdog
27-05-2021, 10:57 AM
No but I want it as Mick has never been shy to tell the truth before.

comrade
27-05-2021, 11:00 AM
I don't want to read it because I'll just despise the AFL even more than I do.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 11:50 AM
I don't want to read it because I'll just despise the AFL even more than I do.

Same.

I have hated the administration of our game since the 1980s when we had idiots like Oakley in charge

mjp
27-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Same.

I have hated the administration of our game since the 1980s when we had idiots like Oakley in charge

There has been a bit about Oakley in there already. You will be disappointed to hear that he is coming out of it relatively well compared to some of his cohorts from the same time period.

bornadog
27-05-2021, 12:17 PM
There has been a bit about Oakley in there already. You will be disappointed to hear that he is coming out of it relatively well compared to some of his cohorts from the same time period.

Maybe I should read it.

mjp
27-05-2021, 12:42 PM
Maybe I should read it.

It's been horrific reading. And if the AFL (as he claims) tried to deregister him (Mick Warner) over his reporting re- the Essendon cheating scandal, well, goodness only knows what will happen here.

comrade
27-05-2021, 12:55 PM
It's been horrific reading. And if the AFL (as he claims) tried to deregister him (Mick Warner) over his reporting re- the Essendon cheating scandal, well, goodness only knows what will happen here.

Someone mentioned there was aspersions cast on Geelong and their links to Dank during the premiership years. That would be a very juicy can of worms.

Daughter of the West
28-05-2021, 12:52 AM
Has anyone else bought this?

No, but I certainly intend to!

jeemak
28-05-2021, 01:43 AM
Someone mentioned there was aspersions cast on Geelong and their links to Dank during the premiership years. That would be a very juicy can of worms.

Yeah I think The Weapon was linked to Geelong prior to Essendon taking him on full time.

As bad and as good as the whole Essenden saga was, I think the best part was when they actually had a cheer squad of dedicated supporters flying a banner shouting out to The Weapon during games. I honestly can't think of a more broken and *!*!*!*!ed up getting ahead of yourself item that's ever happened to counter it.

bornadog
28-05-2021, 10:16 AM
Yeah I think The Weapon was linked to Geelong prior to Essendon taking him on full time.

As bad and as good as the whole Essenden saga was, I think the best part was when they actually had a cheer squad of dedicated supporters flying a banner shouting out to The Weapon during games. I honestly can't think of a more broken and *!*!*!*!ed up getting ahead of yourself item that's ever happened to counter it.

the motto that year was "Whatever it takes"

https://static.ffx.io/images/$width_375%2C$height_211/t_crop_fill/q_86%2Cf_auto/3bf991c2c3684eae99c5279ecab31c587dd79248

Bulldog Revolution
28-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Demetriou has covered himself in shame post AFL (Acquire learning, Crown) so it wouldnt surprise me now to learn he had his snout in it

Twodogs
29-05-2021, 06:48 PM
I got toward the end of the introduction with a few alarm bells about the author's objectivity (I like a good "my enemies enemy is my enemy" as much as the next man but it doesn't mean I won't be a bit suss about motive) going off and then he finishes it with a quote from Keith Murdoch. I'll finish reading it but Warner has pretty much lost me already.

mjp
29-05-2021, 10:51 PM
Chapter 15 - Inside Job.

All about the Tahlia brothers.

Omg.

Dry Rot
29-05-2021, 11:05 PM
Chapter 15 - Inside Job.

Omg.

Tell us more.

azabob
30-05-2021, 09:36 AM
mjp no need to be skeptical of Warner due to his employer. He has previously had his accreditation taken away by the AFL for not following the company line. I also believe he has had a dust up with Robbo in view of all and sundry.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2021, 09:39 AM
Have made a start.

Definitely an interesting read. I’m sure it’s a bit one sided but there’s many good issues raised and points made throughout. Looking forward to the Talia chapter.

comrade
30-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Chapter 15 - Inside Job.

Omg.

Was Bevo justified in scorching the Earth?

mjp
30-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Was Bevo justified in scorching the Earth?

I have to admit, at the time I really put this in the 'who cares' category.

But reading the book - and have read 15 chapters of the AFL manipulating investigations to suit the outcome they wanted - it is a bit hard to swallow what happened. Not to the point of 'Adelaide need to hand the win over' but certainly 'Adelaide and the players involved need to be penalised'.

I have a hard time understanding how the coaches at Adelaide were provided with information they 100% KNEW they shouldn't have and seemingly decided it was still OK to use it...there should have been fines and suspensions handed out (minimum).

As Warner said on his podcast last week, the problem Bevo has is that he isn't "house trained" - he will go outside what the AFL want if he believes he is right...

mjp
30-05-2021, 01:33 PM
mjp no need to be skeptical of Warner due to his employer. He has previously had his accreditation taken away by the AFL for not following the company line. I also believe he has had a dust up with Robbo in view of all and sundry.

He and Robbo seem quite close on the podcast they do together. Robinson certainly comes across well in this book - not so the likes of Wilson.