PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 11, 2021, vs Melbourne Demons

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 08:05 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's game against Melbourne. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 11:19 PM
Lockdown announcement.

Happy Days
28-05-2021, 11:26 PM
When they scored in 20 seconds.

josie
28-05-2021, 11:29 PM
Naughton’s miss in 3rd quarter. Thought we were in with a sniff & had a bit of momentum but after that they pulled away again.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2021, 11:30 PM
Naughton’s miss in 3rd quarter. Thought we were in with a sniff & had a bit of momentum but after that they pulled away again.

There’s so much to like about him, but regularly missing easy shots isn’t one of them.

Sedat
28-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Yep, she was game over when they went forward and finished off the 2 goal turnaround.

Truth be told, the 3 turnovers in D50 in the first qtr were alarm bells.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2021, 11:33 PM
The ease with which Harms scored in the first 20 seconds, did not bode well. That was my moment. It just spoke volumes that we were off.

Testekill
28-05-2021, 11:34 PM
The moment was Libba trying to kick a switch kick across ground to Bont who had 2 demons near him. It gets spoiled and they kick an instant goal.

comrade
The ease with which Harms scored in the first 20 seconds, did not bode well. That was my moment. It just spoke volumes that we were off.

It reflects really poorly on the group and our leaders that we couldn't be up from the first second of this game. How often are we involved in 1 v 2 clashes?

macca
When McNeil missed the set shop snap in the first quarter
Oh no, its going to be one of those poor kicking nights.

The bulldog tragician
29-05-2021, 12:43 AM
The moment was Libba trying to kick a switch kick across ground to Bont who had 2 demons near him. It gets spoiled and they kick an instant goal.

Yes, there was something ominous about that. My moment too.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 12:51 AM
The first bounce.

Melbourne just running it out with ease to start the game. Not a good sign in any game let alone when it’s a Friday night blockbuster 1 v 2. Can’t let that happen yet it set the tone for the night.

Grantysghost
29-05-2021, 12:59 AM
The Saints being completely non-competitive last week leaving us totally unprepared for a real team.

KT31
29-05-2021, 01:23 AM
Their third interception when we went across goal.

westdog54
29-05-2021, 02:17 AM
Caleb's intercepted kick in.

When Caleb *!*!*!*!ing Daniel is hitting an opponent under no pressure whatsoever, you're gunna have a bad time.

jeemak
29-05-2021, 02:51 AM

Yep, Bailey Williams getting sucked into the ball carrier/ contest and leaving him to get the footy was pretty much alarm bells for me.

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 09:41 AM
When the boys walked up the race onto the field laughing etc. a HUGE game and to me that showed lack of focus.

G-Mo77
29-05-2021, 09:46 AM
When the boys walked up the race onto the field laughing etc. a HUGE game and to me that showed lack of focus.

Now when you mention that, I'm thinking during the 1st quarter here is a team hungry and wanting to prove that they are a legitimate force. The other team ran out thinking there were a Premiership contender and not willing to work as hard as the other team probably thinking that it will just come.

I know which team I rate higher and it's not ours, even with a healthy list.

Mantis
29-05-2021, 09:48 AM

I’ve seen lots of crazy takes, but this is one of the best (or is it worst) of them.

We’ve played with a sense of enjoyment all season and you want that to change depending upon how big a game it is? Yeah, nah.

SonofScray
29-05-2021, 10:54 AM
The first handful of centre bounces. The ball spread too easily and we were often caught on the wrong side of the contest, lost the numbers game. Dees first goal was indicative of our worst efforts since the flag.

Happy Days
29-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Caleb's intercepted kick in.

When Caleb *!*!*!*!ing Daniel is hitting an opponent under no pressure whatsoever, you're gunna have a bad time.

Yeah great call. You can almost accept some of the turnovers as we adjusted to their pressure but you can’t be under any less pressure than kicking in.

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 12:51 PM
I’ve seen lots of crazy takes, but this is one of the best (or is it worst) of them.

We’ve played with a sense of enjoyment all season and you want that to change depending upon how big a game it is? Yeah, nah.

Just my opinion. For mine, this was THE game we had to prove ourselves legitimate. As soon as I saw this I had this gut feeling just like round 1 and 2 last year. Like we had this carefree attitude. Flogging saints and them losing to crows might’ve gave a sense that we just had to turn up.

I’ve said before, sometimes the body language says a lot. When I see Naughton, Hunter, Bont etc miss easy goals with a “oh well” attitude stinks to me. You might be ok with it, but yes, I don’t expect mediocrity in BIG games...any games.

Mantis, you may laugh, but if I saw this running out in a GF I wouldn’t be too happy. We should’ve been focused. Leave that for the changrerooms. And our first 5 mins in particular showed no focus whatsoever.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Just my opinion. For mine, this was THE game we had to prove ourselves legitimate. As soon as I saw this I had this gut feeling just like round 1 and 2 last year. Like we had this carefree attitude. Flogging saints and them losing to crows might’ve gave a sense that we just had to turn up.

I’ve said before, sometimes the body language says a lot. When I see Naughton, Hunter, Bont etc miss easy goals with a “oh well” attitude stinks to me. You might be ok with it, but yes, I don’t expect mediocrity in BIG games...any games.

Mantis, you may laugh, but if I saw this running out in a GF I wouldn’t be too happy. We should’ve been focused. Leave that for the changrerooms. And our first 5 mins in particular showed no focus whatsoever.

To me I got the feeling as soon as no crowd was announced.

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 01:19 PM
To me I got the feeling as soon as no crowd was announced.
Why did you get this feeling bulldogsthru&thru?

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Why did you get this feeling bulldogsthru&thru?

I know it’s a very small sample but based on our horrific performances in rounds 1 and 2 last year. I just feel this group doesn’t have the intensity required to consistently implement our draining game style. And when we’re even a bit off we get blown away by good sides. We can bring the heat like we did against port. But an empty stadium creates a dull vibe and our efforts are too conditional to stand up to Melbourne’s heat.

Mantis
29-05-2021, 01:40 PM

For me I have no care at all if the general population think we're legitimate or not... the only thing that matters is that we win enough games to qualify for the finals, which we are well on track to do and then we judge ourselves at that point of the year.

Sure we want to have good performances against the good teams (which we've had - think WC, Bris & Port), but if we don't we learn and we get better.

To throw the ''mediocre'' line in there is totally out of line.. sure we were off last night with our skill execution and some positioning at crucial times, but I'm sure the coaches noticed this too and will be working hard to improve our performances going forward, but we kept trying and never threw in the white towel which might have been easy to do given our predicament of having a night when not much went right.

We will find out lots about the team over the next 3 games when we have a ridiculously tough draw (surely questions need to be asked on how we cop pretty much 3 interstate games in a row?), but even so we just need to get to the start of the finals series with a relatively healthy list and see how our game stacks up when it counts because pretty much every premiership team has games they'd like to forget through the season, but it means jack-shit when they're holding the premiership cup aloft.

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 02:07 PM
For me I have no care at all if the general population think we're legitimate or not... the only thing that matters is that we win enough games to qualify for the finals, which we are well on track to do and then we judge ourselves at that point of the year.

Sure we want to have good performances against the good teams (which we've had - think WC, Bris & Port), but if we don't we learn and we get better.

To throw the ''mediocre'' line in there is totally out of line.. sure we were off last night with our skill execution and some positioning at crucial times, but I'm sure the coaches noticed this too and will be working hard to improve our performances going forward, but we kept trying and never threw in the white towel which might have been easy to do given our predicament of having a night when not much went right.

We will find out lots about the team over the next 3 games when we have a ridiculously tough draw (surely questions need to be asked on how we cop pretty much 3 interstate games in a row?), but even so we just need to get to the start of the finals series with a relatively healthy list and see how our game stacks up when it counts because pretty much every premiership team has games they'd like to forget through the season, but it means jack-shit when they're holding the premiership cup aloft.

I understand, and appreciate your post.
Melb, Freo, Geel and WC is going to go a long way to where we finish, and a long way to who/where we meet in those finals.

bornadog
29-05-2021, 02:16 PM
I understand, and appreciate your post.
Melb, Freo, Geel and WC is going to go a long way to where we finish, and a long way to who/where we meet in those finals.

I don't think Bevo will be that worried about the result. Coaches like to lose some games so that he can motivate and show the team that they need to work harder to be at the pointy end of the season.

Dees lost last week to lowly Adelaide - the coach would have used that to get more out of them, plus they were playing the ladder leader wwhich would have given them more to play for (in their minds).

We had a massive win last week and maybe had a different mindset, thinking we are world beaters.

I am happy where we sit at the moment, half way through at 9-2, a position we haven't been for many years (maybe 1998).

I am not too worried about Melbourne, as I think we lost that game, rather than they won it. Melbourne's pressure was good, but turnovers killed us and they didn't run over us after quarter time (1 point difference)

We have three tough games coming up, and it is not fun being in WA.

Grantysghost
29-05-2021, 02:16 PM

This is something I've thought about as the game is moving into the rear view mirror and something I'm quite chuffed with.
The fact we didn't throw in the towel.

chef
29-05-2021, 02:33 PM
The moment for me was Adelaide beating Melbourne last week. They just were hungrier to start with and we got blown away.

Lesson learnt for next time.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2021, 02:52 PM
The moment for me was Adelaide beating Melbourne last week. They just were hungrier to start with and we got blown away.

Both Richmond and Melbourne suffered ‘bad’ losses the week before playing us. It’s not a reason or an excuse for our performance at all but in both games it was well evident that the oppositions hunger was greater than ours.

chef
29-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Both Richmond and Melbourne suffered ‘bad’ losses the week before playing us. It’s not a reason or an excuse for our performance at all but in both games it was well evident that the oppositions hunger was greater than ours.

Good teams look to bounce back after a loss. We should be red hot early against the Dockers too.

DOG GOD
29-05-2021, 04:16 PM

I was hoping they’d come up against us undefeated, so they were more likely to drop it.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2021, 04:37 PM
Good teams look to bounce back after a loss. We should be red hot early against the Dockers too.

Great call. I’m expecting a statement from the players (a good one).

westdog54
29-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Great call. I’m expecting a statement from the players (a good one).

Our mids will come out breathing fire against Freo.

Libba will be answering some hard questions from his coach this week. Expect him to play like a man possessed.

bornadog
29-05-2021, 10:49 PM
Our mids will come out breathing fire against Freo.

Libba will be answering some hard questions from his coach this week. Expect him to play like a man possessed.

That was a bullshit free kick when Libba was having a shot at goal and the free was reversed. He slotted that as well.

jazzadogs
30-05-2021, 03:00 AM
That was a bullshit free kick when Libba was having a shot at goal and the free was reversed. He slotted that as well.

How could you know, ch7 never gave us a replay.

merantau
30-05-2021, 07:41 AM
There were too many moments for me. They have sort of melted and fused together into a blackened ugly shape - the sort of thing you'd get if you burnt a whole lot of plastic waste in a backyard incinerator.

Therefore, it's impossible for me to isolate one particular moment and I'm pressing the erase button.

The Pie Man
30-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Naughton’s HTB when he should’ve got 50 deep into the 1st quarter. Goal there makes it 2 goals the difference, they extend their lead to over 4 goals minutes later.

ratsmac
30-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Libba's turnover which resulted in a goal was it for me. Credit to them that they made us pay straight away for turning it over every time. We on the other hand did not.

I'm upset we lost another game that was important for our own credibility but I'm not that worried moving forward. We lost it in the first quarter and never recovered. They are a good team that you can't give a 5 goal head start to. We will learn plenty from that game.

bornadog
30-05-2021, 11:25 AM

I call bullshit, because Libba kicked the ball and they called a free after that. The ball was sailing over everyone's head and any holding had no effect on the result. They expect players to be perfect robots.

boydogs
30-05-2021, 11:49 PM

They showed it going through live

hujsh
31-05-2021, 06:30 PM
I call bullshit, because Libba kicked the ball and they called a free after that. The ball was sailing over everyone's head and any holding had no effect on the result. They expect players to be perfect robots.

They showed it going through live

I think JD was criticising channel 7 there