PDA

View Full Version : Will there be another “HUB?”

DOG GOD
30-05-2021, 01:45 PM
There is talk that the unfortunate situation in Victoria will increase over the coming weeks, hence being extended from those predicted 7 days. Going forward, where do you think this leaves the season ? Will Hub life be once again a thing of the AFL season? Or have the upcoming byes arrived at the right time ?

The thing that is at the forefront of my mind is the possibility of a revamped roster. For example, can you think of anything worse than the possibility of not getting NM again (guaranteed win and hopefully % boost), or god forbid having to play Swans in Sydney and Crows in Adelaide. The positive would be playing Geelong/Melb on neutral grounds.

Look into that crystal ball, and how do you see it panning out for the AFL and the dogs chances this year .

josie
30-05-2021, 03:03 PM
If hubs happen again I hope we cope with it better than has been rumoured for last year. Would be great not playing cats at their hell hole. If club copes with hub life I reckon the pros & cons will probably even out. Hoping it does not have to happen. Not attending live footy when it’s now cold & wintery just isn’t fair!!

boydogs
30-05-2021, 11:55 PM
Looks like NSW might be a hub for a week, anyone's guess whether it continues

bornadog
31-05-2021, 12:01 AM
Dreamtime game is going to be held in Perth

1eyedog
31-05-2021, 01:30 AM
There is talk that the unfortunate situation in Victoria will increase over the coming weeks, hence being extended from those predicted 7 days. Going forward, where do you think this leaves the season ? Will Hub life be once again a thing of the AFL season? Or have the upcoming byes arrived at the right time ?

The thing that is at the forefront of my mind is the possibility of a revamped roster. For example, can you think of anything worse than the possibility of not getting NM again (guaranteed win and hopefully % boost), or god forbid having to play Swans in Sydney and Crows in Adelaide. The positive would be playing Geelong/Melb on neutral grounds.

Look into that crystal ball, and how do you see it panning out for the AFL and the dogs chances this year .

If this goes on for more than a fortnight there will be riots.

Daughter of the West
01-06-2021, 05:10 PM
If this goes on for more than a fortnight there will be riots.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-would-be-insurmountable-players-to-head-home-if-hubs-return-20210601-p57x2i.html

‘It would be insurmountable’: Players to head home if time away continues

Senior players and support staff at three of Melbourne’s biggest clubs have told their employers they will return home if Victoria extends its lockdown beyond this week and clubs have to spend an extended period on the road. The AFL is scrambling to keep the 2021 season moving, rescheduling games away from Victoria to avoid entire teams being locked down and unable to travel.

But many staff members, including several senior players, have told their clubs they would have to return home if they were expected to be on the road for weeks at a time.

A senior player from a Victorian club, who spoke to The Age on the condition of anonymity for fear of being perceived as complaining, said both players and staff felt uncomfortable about the prospect of more time away from home at such short notice.

“We were given six hours to organise our lives and then jump on a plane,” he said.

Interesting times ahead for the AFL

DOG GOD
01-06-2021, 05:55 PM
Hmm. Just when we thought the season was going along nicely, I get the feeling the arse will be about to be ripped out.

bornadog
01-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Hmm. Just when we thought the season was going along nicely, I get the feeling the arse will be about to be ripped out.

I think it is looking more positive at the moment, with cases all linked and the lockdown hopefully has stopping the spread of the virus.

I can see lockdown maybe extended to next Tuesday, and with byes coming up, the AFL should be able to work things out.

(PS: I am an optimistic person as you know from my footy comments :D)

Axe Man
01-06-2021, 06:14 PM
(PS: I am an optimistic person as you know from my footy comments :D)

Dog God is the opposite judging from always tipping against us, so he is likely preparing for the forthcoming apocalypse. :D

DOG GOD
01-06-2021, 06:43 PM
Dog God is the opposite judging from always tipping against us, so he is likely preparing for the forthcoming apocalypse. :D

I think I’ve tipped us twice this year Axe Man. Regarding Freo, i always think about the last game of 2016 when they destroyed us. I’m in particularly hesitant picking us in Perth, Brisbane or Adelaide.

For mine, I think Dunks and Treloar leave a hole bigger than first thought.

Looking at the roster I’ve said before, I wasn’t looking forward to the Melb, Freo, Geel and WC games. With the state of our injuries and where these games are, I was expecting 0-4 from these. Hope I’m wrong.

But Bornadog, I hope your right about the COVID situation, and the AFL season can get back to normal after the byes.

Grantysghost
01-06-2021, 06:45 PM
I just realised DOG GOD is a multiple word palindrome.

Can't unsee it now :cool:

I give that name TOP SPOT.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2021, 07:15 PM
I don't think we will see long term hubs. The lockdown situation obviously isn't great but we have more lenient border restrictions at the moment and it seems in control enough to have at least Vic v Vic games here without crowds. Might need to use the byes a bit and tinker with the fixture to bring forward Vic v Vic and all interstate clashes etc. NSW and Qld seem pretty willing to come to the party too.

Might see a delay for GF date if there's immediate postponements, hopefully not multiple games for any team. As much as I dislike the AFL, they seem really on top of it. Few mates in the Govt.

comrade
01-06-2021, 07:44 PM
I don't think we will see long term hubs. The lockdown situation obviously isn't great but we have more lenient border restrictions at the moment and it seems in control enough to have at least Vic v Vic games here without crowds. Might need to use the byes a bit and tinker with the fixture to bring forward Vic v Vic and all interstate clashes etc. NSW and Qld seem pretty willing to come to the party too.

Might see a delay for GF date if there's immediate postponements, hopefully not multiple games for any team. As much as I dislike the AFL, they seem really on top of it. Few mates in the Govt.

I would rather hubs than play without crowds.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2021, 08:03 PM

I think there will be crowds if there can be in Vic but players seem anti hubs and if it’s no crowds in Vic vs playing in front of a few on the GC, even the AFL won’t want that as north worth accomodation expenses.

1eyedog
01-06-2021, 08:04 PM

Clearly the players wouldn't.

Rocco Jones
01-06-2021, 08:08 PM

Yeah and the crowds will be neutral games in NSW/Qld.

Happy Days
02-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Personally I'm waiting to hear from someone else other than Trent Cotchin before I confirm this.

Grantysghost
02-06-2021, 02:17 PM
Personally I'm waiting to hear from someone else other than Trent Cotchin before I confirm this.

Jack Riewoldt suffice?

Rocco Jones
02-06-2021, 02:35 PM
I think we will see something like (assuming, which is crazy, nothing changes too much)

Round 12
As currently is

Round 13
- Eagles vs Tigers moved forward a week, then Tigers go home for bye
- North vs GWS moved from Tas to NSW or Qld
- QB game at empty MCG

Round 14
- All remaining games other than North vs Lions, possibly moved to Qld/NSW

NSW cases/border issues + Qld not coming to party could be a killer. At the moment, we have NSW and Qld coming to the party with even SA allowing fly in/fly out.

Axe Man
02-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Round 14
- All remaining games other than North vs Lions, possibly moved to Qld/NSW

If we get to play Geelong anywhere other than Kardinia park it will be one positive out of this.

Topdog
02-06-2021, 04:28 PM
If this lockdown goes for long enough that we need another hub footy will be the least of my concerns.

Dry Rot
02-06-2021, 10:04 PM
god forbid having to play Swans in Sydney

Sounds good to me. I will represent you all.

EasternWest
02-06-2021, 11:37 PM

With aplomb and grace, indubitably.

Vred
03-06-2021, 01:47 AM
If we get to play Geelong anywhere other than Kardinia park it will be one positive out of this.

Geelong anywhere but Geelong. West Coast game moved forward and our Bye moved back, would be the best result for us.

jeemak
03-06-2021, 02:32 AM

With aplomb and grace, indubitably.

Never mind the head kickings.

Dry Rot
04-06-2021, 03:31 PM
With the potentially disastrous discovery of the Delta variant in Melbourne, the lockdown could now continue for many weeks.

If so, how would the new hubs work? Would the Dogs end up in Sydney? If so, would we want the bigger Giants ground as our "home" ground?

bornadog
04-06-2021, 03:41 PM
With the potentially disastrous discovery of the Delta variant in Melbourne, the lockdown could now continue for many weeks.

If so, how would the new hubs work? Would the Dogs end up in Sydney? If so, would we want the bigger Giants ground as our "home" ground?

Let's wait and see before we speculate.

chef
04-06-2021, 03:59 PM
The players wont do hubs again. The season would get postponed and rightly so, these guys are humans with families and should be treated as such.

And wasnt it was agreed when the games were moved back to full length hubs were out the window?

EasternWest
04-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Let's wait and see before we speculate.

Are you new to the internet?

bornadog
04-06-2021, 04:42 PM

Nice one.

:D

Grantysghost
04-06-2021, 04:42 PM

When I hear Kappa variant I envisage spike proteins dressed in vibrant Italian sportswear.

This is what the internet is to me, I'm sure it's a meme already.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2021, 01:43 PM
I have no idea about what transpired last year and why the hubs were interstate. So I’m sure there’s a simple answer to this... Can the league go to country Victoria if needed for any hub?

Geelong & Ballarat are already AFL approved venues. Shepparton & Bendigo have hosted pre-season games. If the players got behind the Metro line, I imagine there will be several states that will now ban Metro Victoria only. Even if a few states let country Victoria move freely, most interstate games can played or at worst at a neutral third state venue. Games between Vic teams play at the country grounds. There’s enough in terms of airports too. They could move the VFL teams (who can financially afford it, and players who could afford it) into country Victoria too.

The money into regional Victoria would be money well spent, the operators of KP & Mars Stadium will get a windfall so good to them, and the players are only 100km or so from family or try to get them also through the Metro/Country. And if it’s only (hopefully weeks), I think it’s a easier sell to the players and staff. If they want out, they just leave and be home in an hour or two.

Mantis
15-06-2021, 08:05 PM
Sounds like we are off to Sydney next week (from Sunday) to prepare for the WC game… players were supposed to have 4 days off after Friday’s gave so plans are constantly changing.

comrade
15-06-2021, 08:17 PM
Sounds like we are off to Sydney next week (from Sunday) to prepare for the WC game… players were supposed to have 4 days off after Friday’s gave so plans are constantly changing.

Probably wasn't the smartest thing pushing back the player's break with all the uncertainty.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2021, 08:28 PM
Hopefully that’s the end of the travel. The week after it’s North. If we get a say, Marvel empty or Ballarat with limited attendance?

comrade
15-06-2021, 08:40 PM
Probably wasn't the smartest thing pushing back the player's break with all the uncertainty.

Thinking about this more, even if we did have a 'break' the players couldn't actually do much with it. 25km limit, can't go anywhere or have anyone over.

jeemak
15-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Thinking about this more, even if we did have a 'break' the players couldn't actually do much with it. 25km limit, can't go anywhere or have anyone over.

I think the players just had it over the weekend didn't they?

Topdog
16-06-2021, 07:31 AM

Yeah that's correct and the reason we delayed it. I would assume or at least hope that the players were heavily involved in that decision.

comrade
16-06-2021, 08:22 AM
Yeah that's correct and the reason we delayed it. I would assume or at least hope that the players were heavily involved in that decision.

Obviously, no one knows what's going to happen, but if restrictions ease completely I imagine there will be a block fo 3-4 days put aside in the coming weeks for the players to get away.

comrade
17-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Stevo suggesting NSW is off as an option to hub prior to our WC game.

bornadog
17-06-2021, 05:07 PM
Stevo suggesting NSW is off as an option to hub prior to our WC game.

Can't see the point now with restrictions lifted.

comrade
17-06-2021, 05:14 PM
Can't see the point now with restrictions lifted.

It's all down to WA's requirements.

divvydan
17-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Yeah, which suggests that WA are going to start enforcing a harsher restriction on people coming from NSW due to the small outbreak there.

comrade
17-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Yeah, which suggests that WA are going to start enforcing a harsher restriction on people coming from NSW due to the small outbreak there.

I think the safest thing to do is play the game in Tasmania.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 05:40 PM
I think the safest thing to do is play the game in Tasmania.

Ha, sounds good to me.

Always going to be very tricky with no national approach to this.

Tasmania for a week, then WA or just spending the week in WA might have to be it. Nightmare to postpone a one off game, might mean we lose week off before finals too.

bornadog
17-06-2021, 05:43 PM
It's all down to WA's requirements.

Yeah, good point, I forgot about that. QLD already banning Victorians for another week.

Tassie sounds fine to me. :D

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Yeah, good point, I forgot about that. QLD already banning Victorians for another week.

Tassie sounds fine to me. :D

Vic to Qld to WA might not be great anyway.

bornadog
17-06-2021, 05:46 PM
Vic to Qld to WA might not be great anyway.

I wasn't thinking that, just pointing out that QLD is already a no, so other states maybe the same.

Edit - Just checked:

Last updated: 16 June 2021 at 6.46pm

COVID-19 exposure sites have been identified in NSW. Travellers from NSW into WA who have been to an exposure site during the relevant times are required to get tested and self-quarantine for 14 days from their date of exposure.

Effective 6.00pm, Friday 11 June, travel from Victoria into WA is permitted, subject to 14 days of self-quarantine and COVID-19 testing.

No other update for VIC

comrade
17-06-2021, 05:48 PM
I'm sure we'll do everything we can to avoid going to WA early and staying in strict lockdown for the week. Tassie to WA may work and I'm sure they're in discussions now.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 05:57 PM
I wasn't thinking that, just pointing out that QLD is already a no, so other states maybe the same.

Edit - Just checked:

No other update for VIC

Sorry for confusion, I wasn't sure but in reality, it was an option if we could go. Tasmania is the only choice other than WA.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 06:00 PM
QLD already banning Victorians for another week.

Ahem, Melbournians, not Victorians. I can go to Queensland but not Kardinia Park.

divvydan
17-06-2021, 06:02 PM
The big issue right now is that SA and Tassie both seem to have a fly in- fly out policy for Victorian teams at the moment and unless that changes in the next few days, we don't really have an effective place to HUB over the coming week unless we're willing to accept the really strict WA lockdown conditions and not leave the hotel room for a week, or however long it has to be.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 06:08 PM
What's the dealio with WA? Literally can't leave hotel unless it's for training? Need to be there for a week?

divvydan
17-06-2021, 06:09 PM
What's the dealio with WA? Literally can't leave hotel unless it's for training?

Pretty much.

Grantysghost
17-06-2021, 06:16 PM
We really shouldn’t have to deal with those conditions, it could be really detrimental to the players. A friend of mine was in WA when they locked down Victorians and he was forced to retrospectively quarantine (he was there already) and he lasted about a day. He just couldn’t handle the restrictions.
Ended up paying a fortune for flight out to escape.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 06:19 PM
NSW is a big place, surely Sydney itself would be the only problem for going to WA? Could they go elsewhere - Newcastle or Wollongong for example? Canberra an option?

bornadog
17-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Ahem, Melbournians, not Victorians. I can go to Queensland but not Kardinia Park.

Yes fair enough.

Axe Man
17-06-2021, 06:21 PM
We really shouldn’t have to deal with those conditions, it could be really detrimental to the players. A friend of mine was in WA when they locked down Victorians and he was forced to retrospectively quarantine (he was there already) and he lasted about a day. He just couldn’t handle the restrictions.
Ended up paying a fortune for flight out to escape.

A mate had the NT border close whilst in the air during an earlier outbreak. Faced an expensive 14 day stay at Howard Springs or an expensive flight home, chose the latter.

Rocco Jones
17-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Really goes someway to show the folly in not having a national approach. Flying in and out of states to avoid restrictions will actually increase the risk of spread nationally.

Axe Man
18-06-2021, 04:30 PM
Western Bulldogs could be forced into hotel quarantine in Western Australia next week in the lead-up to Sunday’s game against West Coast at Perth Stadium.

The AFL had planned on sending the Dogs to Sydney so they could quarantine in relative freedom before jetting to Perth, which is how they prepared for their round 12 win against Fremantle.

But the detection of coronavirus in New South Wales on Thursday has almost certainly squashed that proposal.

It will now be up to the AFL and the WA government to find a safe way for the Dogs to take on the Eagles in the west.

The Dogs, Tigers and Bombers all spent short stints in quarantine at Perth’s Tribe Hotel under heavy restrictions this month.

Hotel staff were required to wear face shields and full PPE around players in the lead-up to Dreamtime and that Freo-Dogs clash.

If the Bulldogs were forced to spend multiple days in hotel quarantine, they would almost certainly look for accommodation with more room to move.

Bulldogs powerbrokers were on Thursday night unsure what their next move would be after Friday night’s clash against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

Players and coaches were told to squarely focus on the Cats game.

Complicating matters, the Bulldogs chose not to give their players and staff the mandatory four-day break during last week’s designated AFL bye.

The Dogs trained through their week off because Melbourne was in lockdown and they wanted their annual leave to coincide with fewer restrictions in Melbourne.

Players were expected to have this Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off instead, returning to Whitten Oval on Wednesday to prepare for the Eagles.

The AFL Players’ Association signed off on the proposal, which was made possible by the nine-day break between the Geelong and West Coast games.

“Ordinarily the perfect time for the four-day break is in the bye window – having said that we negotiated this CBA when we weren’t dealing with lockdowns and pandemics,” AFLPA player relations boss Brett Murphy told News Corp.

“From our perspective it makes perfect sense (to shift the break). The aim of the break is to give them some actual time away where you can do something, as opposed to lockdown.

“So being able to get a break in a period where we hopefully won’t be in lockdown is a really good step.

“Most employers and all clubs now do see the benefit from a mental wellbeing perspective and it impacts performance.”

But if the Bulldogs are sent interstate earlier to quarantine they would still owe their players a four-day break, which would be hard to squeeze in without a long gap between matches.

Meanwhile, Sydney is expected to be put through the same laborious fly-in, fly-out protocols for next Saturday’s game against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval as Collingwood and Geelong were subjected to.

The AFL managed to bring those clubs into South Australia from hot spots under strict conditions, fuelling hope the round 15 match between the Swans and Power will go ahead as scheduled despite the cases in NSW.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-covid19-updates-all-the-latest-fixture-and-venue-news/news-story/1f35c47303dc46c7878960a00568aff0)

bulldogsthru&thru
18-06-2021, 04:43 PM
Think the AFL needs to consider shifting this game either to a neutral venue or to another week. You can't have us sitting in a hotel for a week, especially considering we just freakin returned from WA. I'm still surprised they didn't push our game with the eagles up a week seeing as though we were already there.

Axe Man
18-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Think the AFL needs to consider shifting this game either to a neutral venue or to another week. You can't have us sitting in a hotel for a week, especially considering we just freakin returned from WA. I'm still surprised they didn't push our game with the eagles up a week seeing as though we were already there.

As already discussed surely there is somewhere else we can go other than Sydney or Perth? All depends on whatever rules the WA government care impose on any given day though. Perhaps stay in Geelong and fly out of Avalon! :D

1eyedog
18-06-2021, 05:39 PM
Unless things change for Metro there is no other option. The boys could stay in Geelong, have their families freely joined them all week and play the game at GMHBA.

If we want to avoid a hard lockdown for our players it is the only neutral ground that allows it to work. A weeks lockdown is no way to prepare for professional sport.

I hope we knock it back.

Grantysghost
18-06-2021, 05:46 PM

Agree it can't happen that way. Has to be a neutral venue if anything, or WA make an allowance not to treat our guys like lepers.

bornadog
18-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Unless things change for Metro there is no other option. The boys could stay in Geelong, have their families freely joined them all week and play the game at GMHBA.

If we want to avoid a hard lockdown for our players it is the only neutral ground that allows it to work. A weeks lockdown is no way to prepare for professional sport.

I hope we knock it back.

Go to Tassie then direct Tassie to WA

1eyedog
29-06-2021, 12:15 AM
Talk now ramping up re. a Melbourne hub. Unclear how Freo can host the Blues this weekend West Coast and Fremantle effectively stuck now. Brisbane have to be granted special permission to travel. GWS and Sydney obviously here. AFL meeting to discuss fast tracking games across the next 4-6 weeks under the assumption we are 3-5 days away from a lockdown at any given time.

I'll be mighty pissed if our flag tilt gets derailed by Covid. AFL assuming it's not if but when it happens.

bornadog
29-06-2021, 12:23 AM
Talk now ramping up re. a Melbourne hub. Unclear how Freo can host the Blues this weekend West Coast and Fremantle effectively stuck now. Brisbane have to be granted special permission to travel. GWS and Sydney obviously here. AFL meeting to discuss fast tracking games across the next 4-6 weeks under the assumption we are 3-5 days away from a lockdown at any given time.

I'll be mighty pissed if our flag tilt gets derailed by Covid. AFL assuming it's not if but when it happens.

Brisbane is rushing to Melbourne and then they will fly to Adelaide and back for their game. I think Freo will need to get out of Perth by the looks.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2021, 12:31 AM
Brisbane is rushing to Melbourne and then they will fly to Adelaide and back for their game. I think Freo will need to get out of Perth by the looks.

Everything old is new again. Rebooting the Victorian Football League (VFL) as the top tier competition. Shouldn’t be that much drama surely to hub for 8 weeks plus finals as a maximum. Hopefully less if everyone catches their breathe and reduces some restrictions. For once I like the AFEL for taking a wait and see approach.

For us, our only travel was GCS & Tassie for Hawks. Probably works in our favour.

1eyedog
29-06-2021, 05:09 AM

Hopefully Perth's lockdown only lasts 4 days because if it goes on longer Freo won't get out.

Re. a Melbourne hub we don't have the best track record of running a water tight ship with this thing.

Hopefully it works out for us.

Hotdog60
29-06-2021, 06:39 AM
The Whitten oval is free for us to play home games for the rest of the season. :)

GVGjr
29-06-2021, 09:21 AM
The Whitten oval is free for us to play home games for the rest of the season. :)

Ballarat has said they're ready to go as well

bulldogtragic
29-06-2021, 09:41 AM
Ballarat has said they're ready to go as well

Do we make any cash if neutral teams play there? Or is the cash only if we play there?

G-Mo77
29-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Play Bulldogs games in Bendigo.

Happy Days
29-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Play Bulldogs games at Whitten Oval. Legit we have GC in three weeks, if there’s a hub at that point then actually why not? Could be something fun for once.

comrade
29-06-2021, 10:17 AM
The GC game should legit be played at Ballarat. We missed out on two games here last year, if we can make some extra dough, why not? The fact it's 3 minutes from my house has no bearing on my thought process.

GVGjr
29-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Do we make any cash if neutral teams play there? Or is the cash only if we play there?

It's part of the AFL contingency plans.

bornadog
29-06-2021, 03:59 PM
COVID FLASHPOINT: Four clubs fly to Victoria, two games in the air (https://www.afl.com.au/news/639360/covid-flashpoint-four-clubs-fly-to-victoria-two-games-in-the-air)

GOLD Coast and Brisbane players are set to share a chartered flight to Melbourne and so are Fremantle and West Coast as sweeping COVID restrictions spread throughout Australia.

also

FREMANTLE'S clash with Carlton on Saturday night could be moved to Tasmania, with the AFL investigating possible venues after all teams from Queensland and Western Australia were relocated to Victoria on Tuesday.

The game, originally scheduled for Optus Stadium on Saturday night, is set to be moved due to the ongoing COVID-19 restrictions that have been implemented across the country in recent days.

But with the MCG already in use due to Melbourne's clash with Greater Western Sydney on Saturday, and with Hawthorn set to meet Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, the game cannot be fixtured in central Melbourne.

It's left Geelong's GMHBA Stadium as the likely venue, though the AFL is also understood to be considering one of two Tasmanian locations – University of Tasmania Stadium in Launceston and Blundstone Arena in Hobart – as possible venues.

DOG GOD
29-06-2021, 04:27 PM
It’s about to be a logistical nightmare. If Victoria get a handful of new cases this could put the whole season in turmoil.

comrade
29-06-2021, 04:34 PM
It’s about to be a logistical nightmare. If Victoria get a handful of new cases this could put the whole season in turmoil.

For the sake of the Bulldogs premiership chances, bring all sides to Victoria and lock the bloody border shut!

bornadog
29-06-2021, 05:15 PM
For the sake of the Bulldogs premiership chances, bring all sides to Victoria and lock the bloody border shut!

and no more Hotel Quarantine. Overseas travellers coming in can get stuffed. :D

1eyedog
29-06-2021, 05:17 PM
Haha it's not if but when unfortunately.

I guess we'll be off to Tassie.

SonofScray
29-06-2021, 06:38 PM
I'm sitting on a few tasks at work expecting us to be going down the gurgles again with the rest of the country. Reckon the Sydney outbreak is very bad news for all of us. Hopefully we can keep things water tight and just have a VIC hub.

1eyedog
29-06-2021, 06:44 PM
Well the Delta is already in the community thanks to the Sandringham Dry Cleaner bringing it back from the Bondi Party so I expect symptoms to start showing very soon (been about 8-10 days now since he was running around on PT etc.).

I really hope my gut feeling is wrong on this.

GVGjr
29-06-2021, 08:10 PM
With Tassie there is potentially 6 venues games could be played at so with a bit of luck the others states will get things back to normal in the next week or two so this could be a short term challenge.

SA is still open to teams from Victoria aren't they?

comrade
29-06-2021, 08:17 PM
With Tassie there is potentially 6 venues games could be played at so with a bit of luck the others states will get things back to normal in the next week or two so this could be a short term challenge.

SA is still open to teams from Victoria aren't they?

I think they allow fly in, fly out on the day but the team has to isolate on entering the state which means sitting around for hours.

Sedat
30-06-2021, 07:47 AM
Looks like all tax-paying Australians will finally get a slight return of investment on the $300m we've ploughed into that regional pissant pork-barrell white elephant toy ground in Geelong, now that overflow matches in Vic need to be played elsewhere.

1eyedog
30-06-2021, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure why Ballarat hasn't been mentioned. We've actually got 4 venues in the State that are AFL ready.

Ballarat is the most neutral ground in the State with only the S.A teams and Brisbane having played there each once or twice.

bornadog
30-06-2021, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure why Ballarat hasn't been mentioned. We've actually got 4 venues in the State that are AFL ready.

It was mentioned that if Suns have to stay another week, they may play GWS there.

1eyedog
30-06-2021, 09:43 AM
It was mentioned that if Suns have to stay another week, they may play GWS there.

That's our home ground we should get a financial kickback from that. We'll take the food and bar money.

comrade
30-06-2021, 10:01 AM
That's our home ground we should get a financial kickback from that. We'll take the food and bar money.

So if GWS and GC play, we’ll make about $3.25 ;)

EasternWest
30-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Looks like all tax-paying Australians will finally get a slight return of investment on the $300m we've ploughed into that regional pissant pork-barrell white elephant toy ground in Geelong, now that overflow matches in Vic need to be played elsewhere.

Chortle.

comrade
30-06-2021, 12:05 PM
SA about to go into lockdown after a family tests positive.

bornadog
30-06-2021, 12:11 PM
SA about to go into lockdown after a family tests positive.

What the hell.

DOG GOD
30-06-2021, 12:17 PM
It’s now up to Vic to fly the AFL seasons flag. Tassie hasn’t had any cases in 2021. Problem is we wouldn’t have the facilities, grounds, hotels etc to house all 18 teams. Hopefully Victoria can keep the season moving fwd.

bornadog
30-06-2021, 12:18 PM
It’s now up to Vic to fly the AFL seasons flag. Tassie hasn’t had any cases in 2021. Problem is we wouldn’t have the facilities, grounds, hotels etc to house all 18 teams. Hopefully Victoria can keep the season moving fwd.

Maybe SA teams have to be based in Tassie.

DOG GOD
30-06-2021, 12:19 PM
Maybe SA teams have to be based in Tassie.
Possibly an option.

1eyedog
30-06-2021, 12:30 PM
So if GWS and GC play, we’ll make about $3.25 ;)

I'm sure local Ratians will get right behind it, they are an AFL loving City after all. Surely we get that up to a few hundred bucks.

The AFL is really getting squeezed now. Hopefully we can ride the rough waters and come out the other side of the maelstrom following these circuit breaker lockdowns in the next week or two. We have to act fast though, close to the border to S.A now!

bornadog
30-06-2021, 12:32 PM
I'm sure local Ratians will get right behind it, they are an AFL loving City after all. Surely we get that up to a few hundred bucks.

The AFL is really getting squeezed now. Hopefully we can ride the rough waters and come out the other side of the maelstrom following these circuit breaker lockdowns in the next week or two.

Comrade will be there, surely

1eyedog
30-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Comrade will be there, surely

I'd like to think he'll leave $50 at the bar for the greater good.

comrade
30-06-2021, 12:44 PM
I'd like to think he'll leave $50 at the bar for the greater good.

I think I'm washing my hair that day.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2021, 12:47 PM
Things change so quickly and it's a logistical nightmare with no national approach. But other than NSW, all other states might be good to go by next round. We haven't lost one game yet.

WA- will always go into lockdown when they get a case. I am actually pro quick snap lockdowns but won't get into the politics. The clear thing though, we simply cannot have OS as a GF venue during covid time. One case can happen whenever and that means at best, an empty stadium. Their teams have only been away for a few days. No cases yesterday and they could very easily be right to go by next round. Just hard work visiting states but teams quarantining there for a week, Vic and Tas are all options.

Vic- how quickly things change. Obviously have most teams. As it lies we can host interstate teams so good to go at the moment. Our players get to have at least some time now at how saving credits if needed for whatever we call a 2-3 week stay.

SA- just started with their cases. Teams can go to Vic or Tas. Haven't been away yet so credits in the bank for next 2-3 weeks if needed.

NSW- obviously ones in the biggest trouble. With these numbers they could easily be away for longer than the 2-3 week period Gil mentioned. Maybe they go back for an empty stadium derby, seem family etc while isolated and come back in time to quarantine again. If it's only two teams I think AFL will make them suck it up. Maybe lose a few family guys etc during the tour of duty. We got back to playing footy in Melbourne 4 weeks after less of an outbreak than this. I think no AFL visitors for at least next 4 rounds. Maybe something outside of Greater Sydney but what's the point I guess? (well re: players).

Qld- I guess the ones who've done it toughest thus far. Lions stayed here for 2-3 weeks right? Idk about Suns. 3 cases today, linked. Lockdown already in place. Maybe on tour for 2 weeks.

Tas- obviously big with NSW well and truly out short term and Qld/SA/WA/NT in short term lockdown as well as Vic venues being exhausted.

As much as I dislike the AFL, they have been really good at managing games being played during Covid. As long as teams don't have to be away for 2-3 weeks and we have a state open to take in games, we are fine. NSW teams might be seeing 4-5 weeks + stay away though. Tough luck?

bornadog
30-06-2021, 12:50 PM
We have the Suns in two weeks from this weekend, so may be in luck that we don't need to travel

Rocco Jones
30-06-2021, 01:00 PM
We have the Suns in two weeks from this weekend, so may be in luck that we don't need to travel

Yeah, not sure how much of a fight Suns will put up to host it too. Some teams preferring empty stadiums to relocating, Cats and Freo said it this week. Think we could get the Suns to move it to Whitten Oval if we give them a nice slab and the best rooms at Palm's Motel.

comrade
30-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Yeah, not sure how much of a fight Suns will put up to host it too. Some teams preferring empty stadiums to relocating, Cats and Freo said it this week. Think we could get the Suns to move it to Whitten Oval if we give them a nice slab and the best rooms at Palm's Motel.

If the Suns are happy to play it in Ballarat, I'll whip out the air fryer and do some fried dim sims for them.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2021, 01:05 PM
If the Suns are happy to play it in Ballarat, I'll whip out the air fryer and do some fried dim sims for them.

Check mate.

Happy Days
30-06-2021, 01:07 PM
The Suns only exist at this point to fulfil the broadcast deal obligations so I assume they’ll play wherever they’re told to without much fuss.

Axe Man
30-06-2021, 01:07 PM

Stewy Dew likes this.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Stewy Dew likes this.

I think he'd play 2 short as part of the deal.

jeemak
30-06-2021, 01:15 PM
NSW teams to Canberra, QLD teams to Ballarat, SA teams to Tassie and WA teams to Perth. That's a decent spread and able to be accommodated.

bornadog
30-06-2021, 02:40 PM
All 18 clubs based in Melbourne as of today

westdog54
30-06-2021, 03:09 PM
SA holding off on an immediate lockdown as all 5 cases are in the one family and they've been self isolating. Potential for a SA/TAS/VIC bubble for a couple of weeks. NSW looks like a write off for at least a month but WA and QLD could get on top of things in time for the next round, if not the one after.

bornadog
30-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Tassie has knocked back games this weekend, so Carlton and Freo playing at Kat Park