PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-06-2021, 05:44 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in tonight's game against Geelong. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.

Mutz
18-06-2021, 11:58 PM
1:30 to go, Libba should have let the ball go out of bounds, or Weightman should have marked. We just seemed to lack composure to hold on.

Happy Days
19-06-2021, 12:02 AM
Umm…when Rohan kicked the goal at the end?

KT31
19-06-2021, 12:04 AM
Naughtons injury, Bruce went to the ruck and we had no big men to contest in our forward 50.

DOG GOD
19-06-2021, 12:06 AM
The Scott and Bont easy misses start of 4th. Last quarter. Game truly on the line. We have all the play and momentum. Could’ve sealed it with those 2 goals.

EasternWest
19-06-2021, 12:08 AM
The Scott and Bont easy misses start of 4th. Last quarter. Game truly on the line. We have all the play and momentum. Could’ve sealed it with those 2 goals.

Game's done. Really disappointing.

SonofScray
19-06-2021, 12:09 AM
In retrospect Bono’s rare miss hurts.

The actual moment was when we gave up the tap on from Selwood to keep the ball moving their way. Sit on that footy and we win.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 12:13 AM
It was the first two easy misses. Perhaps at 50 seconds Scott not going long and chipping the ball around for 50 seconds.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2021, 12:22 AM
We had to find a way to either retain possession or get a stoppage, letting the ball out in space was criminal in the final seconds and to let them go coast to coast was so Bulldogs like.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-06-2021, 12:26 AM
Last two minutes for me.
Yes we missed goals..so did Geelong.we were still in front with 2 minutes on the clock and had 3 opportunities to control play.
2 to Duryea, and 1 to Scott.
We managed each of those poorly, and failed to eat clock.
I said clock.

Doc26
19-06-2021, 12:32 AM
From Scott’s defensive mark with just over a minute remaining, not having the wherewithal to eat down the clock from this point.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 12:33 AM
Last two minutes for me.
Yes we missed goals..so did Geelong.we were still in front with 2 minutes on the clock and had 3 opportunities to control play.
2 to Duryea, and 1 to Scott.
We managed each of those poorly, and failed to eat clock.
I said clock.

That feels a little like two wrongs make a right. I don’t care what they did in their finishing skills in front of goal. I do care what we did and the very easy ones we stuffed. We should have kicked them. We should have iced the clock. We should have won the game. We did none of those things.

macca
19-06-2021, 12:36 AM

Yep, would have been 2 goals in front, and Geelong get deflated.

We end up losing games because of poor kicking, and this won't get us far in finals.

Who was on Tom stewart ? He killed us tonight with his contested Marking.

Hate it how they managed to clear the ball out of the back line and end up with Rohan in the last 30 seconds.

jazzadogs
19-06-2021, 12:39 AM
Selwood diving at the ball to knock it forward was the moment where our ??structure?? was exposed. Why my screen was then filled with Geelong players streaming forward, I don't know.

Grantysghost
19-06-2021, 12:42 AM
Selwood diving at the ball to knock it forward was the moment where our ??structure?? was exposed. Why my screen was then filled with Geelong players streaming forward, I don't know.

I can't work out why we had so many forward with less than a minute to go with the lead.
That coupled with the fact players thought there was two minutes to go I think our time management at the end there was way off.

This loss is getting worse as time passes.

jazzadogs
19-06-2021, 12:45 AM
I can't work out why we had so many forward with less than a minute to go with the lead.
That coupled with the fact players thought there was two minutes to go I think our time management at the end there was way off.

This loss is getting worse as time passes.

Yeh I don't want to rewatch it to figure out what went wrong but it looked like we had the outnumber at the contest, which meant that we absolutely could not let it out on a fast break.

But also when it did get out, we were outrun. By Rohan and Guthrie definitely, and a couple of others who I can't remember. Disappointing but not world-ending. We're still a very good team.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 01:13 AM
I watched the last two minutes. Cordy had next to chance to do much else other than get tackled I50. Not ideal if it’s HTB or giving them a chance at a set play. But Scott had multiple shorter options. At least 50 seconds of circle work opportunity. The other missed chance was Weightman’s kick into Dale I50. If he hits Dale on the chest he winds down 30 seconds and Dale is 100% goal accuracy this year.

Basically couldn’t have handled it any worse.

Grantysghost
19-06-2021, 01:16 AM
I watched the last two minutes. Cordy had next to chance to do much else other than get tackled I50. Not ideal if it’s HTB or giving them a chance at a set play. But Scott had multiple shorter options. At least 50 seconds of circle work opportunity. The other missed chance was Weightman’s kick into Dale I50. If he hits Dale on the chest he winds down 30 seconds and Dale is 100% goal accuracy this year.

Basically couldn’t have handled it any worse.

Youre a braver man than I BT watching that back :cool:

Scott and Weightman less than 20 games between them. Hopefully a learning experience and they can be better next time around.

comrade
19-06-2021, 01:22 AM
The moment was when Bevo decided to go in with English as a solo ‘ruck’ (and I use that word loosely). Scott would have been laughing and Stewart licking his lips knowing he had less talls to contend with. This then cascaded when Naughton went down, and our structure completely fell apart for most of the night as Bruce was taken out of the F50 (how many times did we have a 3 or 4 on 1 to kick to?). Macrae and Hannan also had to throw themselves into the meat grinder throughout the night.

The lads did well to get so close with effectively one hand tied behind their back.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2021, 01:24 AM
Youre a braver man than I BT watching that back :cool:

Scott and Weightman less than 20 games between them. Hopefully a learning experience and they can be better next time around.

I stopped when he marked it, to be fair. That’s all nice and stuff, but fact is we blew a crucial game that was crucial for finishing top 2. 8 points turnaround and lost 5% too. Not shitting the bed next time is fine, but doesn’t really help now. It’s not just the loss and how it happened, it’s how it impacts the top 4 and our ambitions for top 2.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-06-2021, 01:39 AM
I stopped when he marked it, to be fair. That’s all nice and stuff, but fact is we blew a crucial game that was crucial for finishing top 2. 8 points turnaround and lost 5% too. Not shitting the bed next time is fine, but doesn’t really help now. It’s not just the loss and how it happened, it’s how it impacts the top 4 and our ambitions for top 2.

Absolute kick in the guts. Only a win over the eagles can help heal the wound at this stage. If this game costs us top 2 to the very team that beat us....

bulldogsthru&thru
19-06-2021, 01:41 AM
Seriously if we end up 3rd and them 2nd and we have to play the first final at that dump I’ll be livid.

The Pie Man
19-06-2021, 02:23 AM
Seriously if we end up 3rd and them 2nd and we have to play the first final at that dump I’ll be livid.

This is where I get caught looking too far ahead, but this is my fear too. If we get drawn them in the QF as the lower ranked and any kind of Melbourne restrictions are still in play they’ll schedule it down there.

How 60 seconds can potentially ruin a (year) night

FrediKanoute
19-06-2021, 04:05 AM
Not blaming Scott, but the long kick to a contest with a minute to go in hindsight was the wrong option. That said he had people around him and no one said don't go long. The backward/sideways kick was always a better option, though it was hard to see who was running for him.

Hard to blame Cordy, won a pressure ball that would have led to an open goal otherwise and was under pressure. Whilst he probably should have gone to the boundary line, I just don't think he had the time to think with the pressure he was under.

Finally, the 2 set shot misses were in hindsight killers....nail one of those and we are 2 games clear on top

G-Mo77
19-06-2021, 08:33 AM
The moment was when Bevo decided to go in with English as a solo ‘ruck’ (and I use that word loosely). Scott would have been laughing and Stewart licking his lips knowing he had less talls to contend with. This then cascaded when Naughton went down, and our structure completely fell apart for most of the night as Bruce was taken out of the F50 (how many times did we have a 3 or 4 on 1 to kick to?). Macrae and Hannan also had to throw themselves into the meat grinder throughout the night.

The lads did well to get so close with effectively one hand tied behind their back.

This. Little things can cost you in close ones and while we had a chance to win had the structure been in place we may have been in a much better position. Martin was never going to play last night, Sweet should have been there. English third tall up forward, Stewart accountable. Maybe that could have been the difference.

comrade
19-06-2021, 08:39 AM
This. Little things can cost you in close ones and while we had a chance to win had the structure been in place we may have been in a much better position. Martin was never going to play last night, Sweet should have been there. English third tall up forward, Stewart accountable. Maybe that could have been the difference.

Got no doubts it would have been.

Mantis
19-06-2021, 08:41 AM

I don’t buy that and think our forward line functioned better in the 2nd half when it was undersized… and whilst English has had some good moments as a forward he’s been bloody ordinary too on occasions and had no positive influence in the air last night either… even when he was forward of the ball.

comrade
19-06-2021, 08:46 AM
I don’t buy that and think our forward line functioned better in the 2nd half when it was undersized… and whilst English has had some good moments as a forward he’s been bloody ordinary too on occasions and had no positive influence in the air last night either… even when he was forward of the ball.

He’s always ineffective forward/in the air when forced to ruck 80% of the game.

merantau
19-06-2021, 09:57 AM
There are so many moments in a loss like this. Any one of a dozen would have got us the win had it gone our way. The moment that will stick in my memory bank was Josh Bruces's long goal from the boundary. He had one option, took it and nailed it.

soupman
19-06-2021, 11:29 AM
He’s always ineffective forward/in the air when forced to ruck 80% of the game.

Yeah although last night was not a night that suited his floating pack mark style.

Honestly I think the ruck thing is overblown. English was ok, we weren't killed in the ruck (English got a career high hitouts) and it wasn't like Geelong gained an ascendency there. They played Ratugolea as their sole ruck and he is no more a ruck than Tim. Besides what were our alternatives, Martin is a decent ruck but may have struggled in the conditions and we always lean small when in doubt and the conditions last night created a lot of doubt as to how many talls you could carry. Sweet is the other option and I'm not sure he would've given us any benefit. He is a non factor around the ground, not influential ith his tap work and not exactly in form either.

On top of all that McLean came in and was very positive imo. I thought the one ruck call was the least of our problems.

comrade
19-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Yeah although last night was not a night that suited his floating pack mark style.

Honestly I think the ruck thing is overblown. English was ok, we weren't killed in the ruck (English got a career high hitouts) and it wasn't like Geelong gained an ascendency there. They played Ratugolea as their sole ruck and he is no more a ruck than Tim. Besides what were our alternatives, Martin is a decent ruck but may have struggled in the conditions and we always lean small when in doubt and the conditions last night created a lot of doubt as to how many talls you could carry. Sweet is the other option and I'm not sure he would've given us any benefit. He is a non factor around the ground, not influential ith his tap work and not exactly in form either.

On top of all that McLean came in and was very positive imo. I thought the one ruck call was the least of our problems.

No they didn't, Blicavs had 26 hitouts.

bornadog
19-06-2021, 11:36 AM

I think it is not so much the ruck call, but more to the fact having English forward as the third tall and not having to ruck the majority of the game would have been a better outcome for us.

I thought English did ruck well, and we won the clearances including centre with some good work from him.

The three games we have lost have all been without Martin.

soupman
19-06-2021, 11:49 AM
No they didn't, Blicavs had 26 hitouts.

Good point. Although I believe he mainly rucked against our other guys (which I know is your whole point) but I still think we don't gain as much with Sweet and Martin was the easiest tall to drop considering the conditions which I think was the right call to do.

SonofScray
19-06-2021, 01:56 PM

I don’t think that is a coincidence.

BDSM/English > Sweet/English > English/Bruce with JUH or Schache pairing Naughton forward > English and Dunkley or whoever else.

The first two options are palatable. The rest can be deployed, without being catastrophic, but it really does leave us vulnerable. Would rather we just stuck with the traditional look.

SquirrelGrip
19-06-2021, 01:57 PM

Martin played against Richmond

G-Mo77
19-06-2021, 02:24 PM
Good point. Although I believe he mainly rucked against our other guys (which I know is your whole point) but I still think we don't gain as much with Sweet and Martin was the easiest tall to drop considering the conditions which I think was the right call to do.

If we have 2 rucks English chops out so he is mostly forward who then draws a decent opponent, most likely Stewart. Take all those intercepts away and the mood in here is a lot different.

Martin was not dropped he was injured. If they voluntarily dropped him then our coach has learnt nothing of past mistakes.

KT31
19-06-2021, 02:25 PM

This is the difference, if we finish 2nd and Cats finish 3rd we play home final at Marvel Stadium.
Cats finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, the Cats and AFL will go full guns a blazing trying to justify a home final against us at Crapterie.

comrade
19-06-2021, 02:28 PM
This is the difference, if we finish 2nd and Cats finish 3rd we play home final at Marvel Stadium.
Cats finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, the Cats and AFL will go full guns a blazing trying to justify a home final against us at Crapterie.

If crowds are possible, they won't play a final between 2 Vic teams at Marvel. It'll be MCG all the way.

If crowds aren't allowed in Melbourne but they are regionally and we finish 2nd, I can see it being moved interstate. If we finish 3rd, I can see it being played in Geelong.

bornadog
19-06-2021, 04:29 PM
Martin played against Richmond

Actually you are right, however, that should read when Martin and English are in same team we haven't lost

Bullies
19-06-2021, 05:52 PM
The moment Daisy Pearce said with 5 minutes to go the Bulldogs were running on top of the ground and the Cats were struggling we were doomed. How often does a comment like that go the other way.

boydogs
20-06-2021, 03:05 AM
I don't know why we kept going long down the line with 1:00-1:30 to go, should have iced it