PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 16 Vs North Melbourne 2021

Scraggers
25-06-2021, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 15 match against West Coast Eagles for our Round 16, 2021 match against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium (Date and Time to be confirmed)?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
27-06-2021, 06:07 PM
Bump. I suppose there is a potential for a rescheduled fixture so we might have a different opponent.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2021, 06:43 PM
In: Young, Jamarra

Out: Gardner (Inj), Hannan

bornadog
27-06-2021, 07:06 PM

AGREE - Hannan not up to it

DOG GOD
27-06-2021, 07:08 PM

Agree. It’s time.

divvydan
27-06-2021, 07:09 PM
North not a particularly big team, unlike WCE, so I could see us bringing in someone other than Young for Gardner. Probably all comes down to what we want to do with the ruck setup.

G-Mo77
27-06-2021, 07:09 PM
I think there will be some really weary legs after today so wouldn't be surprised if there is 3 - 4 changes.

Gardner the obvious out right now.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Young and JUH, it’s now time to inleash the beast.

Ours will be Gardner and who ever! It doesn’t matter I need to see JUH

macca
27-06-2021, 07:18 PM
In : Young, Wallis
out: Gardner (injured) , Hannan

MC must see something in Hannan, but he seems to miss the crucial moments. Knows where to get the ball, but his disposal and lack of speed is not hurting the opposition.

I hope Wallis will get his chance, and stamp his place in the team.

westbulldog
27-06-2021, 08:06 PM
I agree with Macca's post above

In Young and Wallis
Out Gardner and Hannan.

Imo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has to earn his place like everyone else.

Mitch Wallis was impressive when he came on today and showed more desperation and commitment than Hannan.

Dry Rot
27-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Wallis did well according to my radio call

comrade
27-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Wallis did well according to my radio call

Yeah, was very solid.

DOG GOD
27-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Yeah, was very solid.
Yep. A lot better than Hannan that’s for sure.

whythelongface
27-06-2021, 09:50 PM
Good time to rest a couple of players after a couple of tough weeks.

Now is the time to debut Jamarra.

azabob
27-06-2021, 09:51 PM
IN: Sweet & Wallis
OUT: Gardner & Hannan

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2021, 10:19 PM
IN: Sweet & Wallis
OUT: Gardner & Hannan

Are we flirting with danger a bit by not bringing in a defender to replace Gardner?

azabob
27-06-2021, 10:31 PM
Are we flirting with danger a bit by not bringing in a defender to replace Gardner?

Not sure. It’s a shame Wood is injured as he’d be a good replacement. I don’t think Lewis Young is the answer.

I really want Bruce and Naughton to play 100% game time forward and bringing Sweet in is the only way this happens.

GVGjr
27-06-2021, 10:38 PM
Not sure. It’s a shame Wood is injured as he’d be a good replacement. I don’t think Lewis Young is the answer.

I really want Bruce and Naughton to play 100% game time forward and bringing Sweet in is the only way this happens.

Couldn't Lewis Young actually help that outcome?

azabob
27-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Couldn't Lewis Young actually help that outcome?

Only if he plays forward.
For mine Schache and Ugle-Haggan is ahead of Young as a forward.

Rocco Jones
27-06-2021, 10:42 PM
Hearing Bevo's presser in the lead up, think the taller backline more of a long game thing...

In- Wally, Young
Out- Hannan, Gardner

Sub- Lip

azabob
27-06-2021, 10:44 PM
Hearing Bevo's presser in the lead up, think the taller backline more of a long game thing...

In- Wally, Young
Out- Hannan, Gardner

Sub- Lip

What would your changes be?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2021, 10:47 PM

Its an interesting discussion. I'm also not sure whether Young has the mental attributes to make it.
Did Young play well this weekend? If he did, then I almost reckon we've got to stick with the fidelity of the selection process and pick him. If he fails so be it, that's on him, and probably builds a case to make a call on him at season end. But I reckon this year the reason we've played so many on our list is we've finally decided to make form an integral component of selection.
I think Young comes in for Gards.
I also think English's performance this week against Nick Nat highlighted that he's made some strides in his ruckcraft. I'd be willing to see him back that up against Goldstein this week.

jazzadogs
28-06-2021, 01:35 AM
Who will Young play on if he comes in? North's forward line on the weekend was Thomas, Larkey, Zurhaar, Taylor, Stephenson, Xerri.

Xerri is 201, Larkey is 198 but the rest are 189 or less. Larkey is definitely the more dangerous player, so I would put Keath on him and Cordy on Xerri. Duryea on Zurhaar.

I wonder if Khamis is even a better option than Young, for this weekends matchups? Or do we just get Young in, knowing that Gardner is out long-term, and try to build the chemistry. Interesting choice.

divvydan
28-06-2021, 02:09 AM
Young could come in and go with Xerri all the time, both as a backman and as a second ruck, which would then allow Bruce to stay fwd all game.

jeemak
28-06-2021, 02:19 AM
I clearly know nothing because I thought Hannan made a solid impact here and there - particularly early - but he only touched it for actual disposals seven times......again.

He'll still be in the side next week, we'll wonder why but get over it when we win.

azabob
28-06-2021, 08:34 AM
I clearly know nothing because I thought Hannan made a solid impact here and there - particularly early - but he only touched it for actual disposals seven times......again.

He'll still be in the side next week, we'll wonder why but get over it when we win.

Reason I have dropped Hannan is for a couple of reasons.

First one is team balance as I am bringing in Sweet so Naughton, Bruce and English can play forward. Wallis is the player taking Hannan's spot who has the ability to play a similar role to Hannan but also provide more support through the midfield.

Hannan gets to a lot of contests but not sure he impacts them positively enough, if that makes sense.

You are probably right, he will be in the team next week but this thread for mine is what changes I would make, not guessing what Beveridge will do.

Happy Days
28-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Yeah I’ll admit I thought the same, but then I looked at the stat sheet and saw 7 disposals, 2 tackles and 0.0.

I think I can take him or leave him this week, but man Jamarra debuting would be fun as hell.

Ozza
28-06-2021, 09:56 AM
I don't see Hannan being dropped. He's clearly being judged more on the defensive side of his game and they like his speed. He had a few important moments yesterday where his speed and power kept the ball alive for us.

I'd say Crozier comes in for Gardner, possibly Buku....but I don't think Lewis Young would be getting the nod v North, who have zero high marking targets.

Hopefully the players have a really light week and come in pretty fresh to belt North.

comrade
28-06-2021, 10:15 AM
I don't see Hannan being dropped. He's clearly being judged more on the defensive side of his game and they like his speed. He had a few important moments yesterday where his speed and power kept the ball alive for us.

I'd say Crozier comes in for Gardner, possibly Buku....but I don't think Lewis Young would be getting the nod v North, who have zero high marking targets.

Hopefully the players have a really light week and come in pretty fresh to belt North.

I think this week is ripe for Lewis Young. Defensively, our backline has been rock solid in terms of stopping goals, spoiling, guarding the right spaces, making it hard for opposition forwards to find room. But we just don't intercept it enough in D50 and it's one of the hallmarks of the other contenders. Yesterday for example:

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
WC: 10

Imagine how much more potent Dale, Williams and Daniel would be with a capable interceptor winning back the ball and distributing it to the runners. And when we're under the pump like in the Richmond game, having someone who can clunk it back there gives us another weapon in the arsenal to withstand the pressure.

I really think we need to get another look at him for a few weeks.

Mofra
28-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Only Crozier as a senior player is in the frame and he wasn't in great form the week before.

We do seem committed to the three-tall defensive structure so Young should be in the conversation but we were also committed to the three tall forward structure until Martin went down with injury.

I'm hoping Garcia keeps his spot.

Happy Days
28-06-2021, 10:25 AM
I think this week is ripe for Lewis Young. Defensively, our backline has been rock solid in terms of stopping goals, spoiling, guarding the right spaces, making it hard for opposition forwards to find room. But we just don't intercept it enough in D50 and it's one of the hallmarks of the other contenders. Yesterday for example:

Imagine how much more potent Dale, Williams and Daniel would be with a capable interceptor winning back the ball and distributing it to the runners. And when we're under the pump like in the Richmond game, having someone who can clunk it back there gives us another weapon in the arsenal to withstand the pressure.

That was absolutely our best defensive performance for the year, and not that the two are linked at all (honestly I promise this isn't morbid sarcasm) but it was actually more impressive after Gardner's injury. I think that, knowing we were a key defender short, we adjusted to place more emphasis on defence between the arcs, and West Coast had nothing for it. Seriously, Lachie Hunter, intercept marker? Who knew!

So I too think this is a perfect set up for Young, whose strengths (intercept marking and general attack on the ball) will be suited and his weaknesses (one-on-one defending, and associated rusted on desire to play 2m in front of his man and have mark of the year taken on him) hidden.

Ozza
28-06-2021, 10:27 AM

I think the stats are pretty skewed by us winning the inside 50s by 60-38. I'd expect the coaches will be looking at opposition marks inside 50 rather than how often we are intercept marking. Last three weeks have been 9,11,9 (when we've taken 19,11,16).

I don't really see the case for Lewis Young myself.

comrade
28-06-2021, 10:32 AM
That was absolutely our best defensive performance for the year, and not that the two are linked at all (honestly I promise this isn't morbid sarcasm) but it was actually more impressive after Gardner's injury. I think that, knowing we were a key defender short, we adjusted to place more emphasis on defence between the arcs, and West Coast had nothing for it. Seriously, Lachie Hunter, intercept marker? Who knew!

So I too think this is a perfect set up for Young, whose strengths (intercept marking and general attack on the ball) will be suited and his weaknesses (one-on-one defending, and associated rusted on desire to play 2m in front of his man and have mark of the year taken on him) hidden.

Compare us to who I consider the gold standard this year in Melbourne (yes, I know we've conceded less)

They had Tomlinson and now have Petty as a strictly lockdown deep defender. Basically, our equivalent to Cordy.

May takes the best forward generally and likes to stay deep but can also move higher and attack the ball in the air if given the chance. Basically a slightly better version of Keath.

Lever is the POD. He kind of takes the third tall or a mid sized forward, but generally just follows the ball path and sits in the dangerous spot inside 50. We don't have an equivalent.

Lewy Young is no where near Lever, of course. But if he could give us some of that intercepting and generate turn overs, it'll improve us, especially against good sides who pile on pressure and try to generate repeat inside 50 stoppages by bringing the ball to the ground.

Ozza
28-06-2021, 11:21 AM
We don't defend in the same way as Melbourne though, and Cordy doesn't play deepest, Keath does.

I agree that Melbourne are the gold standard for defence - but they have better tall defenders, its just a fact. But we've never played with a 'sweeper' type behind the ball like Petty is playing as we try to play the front half game and minimise inside 50s.

I don't think we crowbar Young into the side because he has some attributes similar to Lever.

1eyedog
28-06-2021, 11:28 AM

Yeah nah that's a no from me. We can be better.

In terms of our CHB woes I feel we'll try Young again at some stage because Cordy as our second tall is simply not a long-term option. And it's not a finals option. We all know he's going to get monstered at some stage and the consequences could be dire.

If Naughton isn't going back (and there's absolutely no way he should), it leaves Bruce (third on the Coleman and Naughton's decoy), or Young to fill the void. There is a spot for Young as an interceptor / third man up to help an under-manned Cordy. We're not crowbarring Young into the side because he's like Lever, his chance is now because we have no Gardner, no Wood and Crozier is out of form. There is no-one else.

I can't see there being much of a choice?

comrade
28-06-2021, 11:38 AM
We don't defend in the same way as Melbourne though, and Cordy doesn't play deepest, Keath does.

I agree that Melbourne are the gold standard for defence - but they have better tall defenders, its just a fact. But we've never played with a 'sweeper' type behind the ball like Petty is playing as we try to play the front half game and minimise inside 50s.

I don't think we crowbar Young into the side because he has some attributes similar to Lever.

Which is fine against sides we can dominate in the midfield but 2 of the 3 games we've lost this year (Richmond and Geelong), we've also lost the inside 50 count. Against those sides, intercept marking options in D50 becomes important.

Scraggers
28-06-2021, 12:30 PM
As we are playing North and their forward line is not as tall, Crozier comes in for Gardener. I would also bring in Wallis for Hannan, both playing the same role, but Wallis has more versatility. I soooo want to see JUH debut, but not this week; earn the spot.

1eyedog
28-06-2021, 12:49 PM
As we are playing North and their forward line is not as tall, Crozier comes in for Gardener. I would also bring in Wallis for Hannan, both playing the same role, but Wallis has more versatility. I soooo want to see JUH debut, but not this week; earn the spot.

It may not be at all this year then. We have two key forwards absolutely killing it at AFL level and Schache kicking big bags in the VFL. Marra is a fair bit off the pace.

Also, sorry you didn't get an opportunity to go with your pup. Must have been disappointing.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 01:00 PM
What would your changes be?

The same. I normally struggle with Bevo's selections (overall have appreciated what we have achieved under him) but really have faith this season. I know, easy when we are 11-3.

The ins I had included Lewy Young. I really hope we give him a shot vs North.

bornadog
28-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Hannan needs to be dropped and find some form in the VFL.

Mofra
28-06-2021, 01:53 PM
North have Larkey and Xerri and could swing Josh Walker forward to try and stretch us. Zurhaar plays tall at times too. I don't think they're short in the F50 althogh of their tall forwards Larkey is the only one who could really get us. Xerri I like but is a developing ruck/forward and Zurhaar's one-wood is aggression, not ability.

Mantis
28-06-2021, 02:14 PM

Yeah, nah... Crozier has been poor this year and was rightfully omitted. He shouldn't get a free ticket back into the team due to an injury and needs to earn it back with some good form at the lower level.

Scraggers
28-06-2021, 02:57 PM
It may not be at all this year then. We have two key forwards absolutely killing it at AFL level and Schache kicking big bags in the VFL. Marra is a fair bit off the pace.

Also, sorry you didn't get an opportunity to go with your pup. Must have been disappointing.

I think we will have a chance this year to play all three forwards ... Naughts, Juice and JUH; just not this week.

It was really disappointing, but the result and opportunity for us both to skite makes up for it somewhat.

Scraggers
28-06-2021, 02:58 PM
Yeah, nah... Crozier has been poor this year and was rightfully omitted. He shouldn't get a free ticket back into the team due to an injury and needs to earn it back with some good form at the lower level.

Whilst I agree with you, I think the horses for course mantra will see him come back in to play on the smaller forwards of North.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 03:01 PM

Yep. Going Crozier throws out the balance/mix which has been working well a bit too. Would definitely bring him in if at his best but he isn't.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Whilst I agree with you, I think the horses for course mantra will see him come back in to play on the smaller forwards of North.

I am making it a habit to listen to Bevo's main presser. Makes selections seem less random. Last week he mentioned going taller to get ready for what lies ahead. We went the 3 talls vs a smaller Freo line up but he was happy to sacrifice that for upside for the rest of the season.

Mantis
28-06-2021, 03:23 PM

I'd be happy for Young or Cordy to play ''small'' as opposed to Crozier who has struggled as a small defender and isn't providing the aerial presence that was once a key feature of his game... the sloppy ball use and unsure hands isn't helping either.

Scraggers
28-06-2021, 03:26 PM
I'd be happy for Young or Cordy to play ''small'' as opposed to Crozier who has struggled as a small defender and isn't providing the aerial presence that was once a key feature of his game... the sloppy ball use and unsure hands isn't helping either.

Given our selection track record this year though, do you think Young gets a game?

Mantis
28-06-2021, 03:34 PM
Given our selection track record this year though, do you think Young gets a game?

I think our selection has been much more consistent than in previous years and if we are true to ourselves then Young should come in as a like for like. His form has also been pretty solid too for Footscray with the game review reports from the VFL & development coaches being complimentary with regard to effort & performance.

For our own benefit he needs a run of games to see if he has a long term role at the club or if he needs to fill a role later in the season if we have an injury to another key member of the defence.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 03:37 PM

The only thing Crozier is doing well is finding/getting at the end of it but not sure he is worrying the opposition too much/maybe why. Hopefully we are still rocking in 12 weeks, so plenty of time for him to turn it around.

Happy Days
28-06-2021, 03:38 PM
It's a small sample size but Richards appears to have improved out of sight in aerial contests and in his one-on-one defending. He's taken Crozier's spot with both hands.

Crozier's ball use has dropped off so severely that Cordy is actually a preferable option by foot.

Ozza
28-06-2021, 03:43 PM
North have Larkey and Xerri and could swing Josh Walker forward to try and stretch us. Zurhaar plays tall at times too. I don't think they're short in the F50 althogh of their tall forwards Larkey is the only one who could really get us. Xerri I like but is a developing ruck/forward and Zurhaar's one-wood is aggression, not ability.

Neither Larkey or Xerri have been prodigious contested marks. Certainly not so much that they are going to get a hold of Keath and Cordy. Last time we played them Gardner got injured, so Easton Wood was our second tall - so I'm pretty confident we don't need to add height. Zurhaar is 189cms and doesn't play tall. Good luck to them if they want to push Walker forward. They have plenty on their plate already trying to handle Naughton and Bruce.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2021, 03:59 PM
It's a small sample size but Richards appears to have improved out of sight in aerial contests and in his one-on-one defending. He's taken Crozier's spot with both hands.

Crozier's ball use has dropped off so severely that Cordy is actually a preferable option by foot.

I have been hard on Richards before and did not want him in the side for stretches of last year but I could not agree more. His ability to get a hand on it aerially yesterday was big.

comrade
28-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Richards is a huge upgrade on Crozier, imo. Rapt that he's fit and playing in his best position.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2021, 04:17 PM
Richards is deceptively very strong, that contest 1-v-1 where he outmarked McGovern was seriously underrated.

comrade
28-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Richards is deceptively very strong, that contest 1-v-1 where he outmarked McGovern was seriously underrated.

He's very clean at ground level which was killing me with Crozier and as you say, strong. A few times he shook the hips to break free and find an extra metre of space to move the ball on.

dog town
28-06-2021, 05:33 PM
Definitely don’t want to muck around with form and have no insight on how he is travelling but would think Libba will need a rest at some point. We have had a few decent breaks recently so maybe not now but at some point.

With Wood going down I think Young comes in for Gards. Not sure it’s the right move but we need to find out about him now if Gards is down for an extended period. Cupboard will be empty pretty quickly if we don’t manage our risk with this, needs exposure in case we have to parachute him in.

SquirrelGrip
28-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Out Gardner, Hannah
In Schache, Crozier
Sub Wally

We should definitely push North in the air up forward this week. They won’t be able to stop Bruce, Naughton, Schache and English.
Schache has done everything asked of him at VFL level and could do well against North.

Crozier’s last much was actually OK and he plays our defensive defensive system better than any other option available, plus can intercept.

Wally has been better as a sub than he even showed in full games at Footscray. I’d keep him there as he is so desperate when he comes on.

Happy Days
28-06-2021, 07:29 PM
I don’t want to play Schache against North because there’s every chance he fills his boots and then we have to play him against a real side.

He’s had his chance. It’s his 6th season and his issues are only getting more pronounced. Why do we have to ruin a good thing by playing him ever again.

1eyedog
28-06-2021, 07:44 PM
I don’t want to play Schache against North because there’s every chance he fills his boots and then we have to play him against a real side.

He’s had his chance. It’s his 6th season and his issues are only getting more pronounced. Why do we have to ruin a good thing by playing him ever again.

Lucky for him we don't actually play a real side for the next four weeks.

meenies
28-06-2021, 11:15 PM
What about trying Schache down back? Could be a good week to experiment?
Would also love to see us give JUH one or two games now.

GVGjr
29-06-2021, 12:53 AM
What about trying Schache down back? Could be a good week to experiment?
Would also love to see us give JUH one or two games now.

I think the consensus is that he lacks the intensity to be a defender

Bulldog4life
29-06-2021, 10:57 AM
I think the consensus is that he lacks the intensity to be a defender

And if Schache is going to be tried back let's do it in the VFL first.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2021, 11:26 AM
And if Schache is going to be tried back let's do it in the VFL first.

Exactly.

comrade
29-06-2021, 12:24 PM
Exactly.

If we ever did a Members Q&A thing like other clubs have done recently, the question I'd ask is: why hasn't Schache been tried in defence.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2021, 01:04 PM
If we ever did a Members Q&A thing like other clubs have done recently, the question I'd ask is: why hasn't Schache been tried in defence.

I guess it all depends on how we view Lewy Young atm.

Leading into Eagles game
KPD-ish back up: Lewy Young, Wood
KPF-ish back up: Schache, JUH

That's changed a lot now with Gardner and Wood out. Means it's Young or Crozier, I really want Young but the back up there has been reduced a lot.

I think it's the time for Schache to trial there now. Bevo mentioned him as a possible KPD back up as part of him going over to WA.

Mofra
29-06-2021, 01:55 PM
If Young does get a gig as a defender, Schache should be given a VFL defensive role.
I have doubts that his acceleration would allow him to make the transition at AFL level but Fletcher Roberts had some serviceable games and Sam Collins isn't quick either but is going well at the Suns.

ratsmac
29-06-2021, 02:57 PM

That's the red hair strength. I know a few redheads that are the same. Deceptively strong. Fire!

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-06-2021, 08:54 PM
That's the red hair strength. I know a few redheads that are the same. Deceptively strong. Fire!

Ed Richards pedigree is very good. His Grandfather Ron Richards was BOG in Collingwood’s 1953 Premiership and his brother Lou Richards was a Legend. Ed was very impressive against WCE and looks a certainty to become a regular in our best 22
Both Richards and Maclean add class and determination to our line up.

Rocco Jones
29-06-2021, 09:25 PM
Maybe we go with Sweet. Less about this week and more about helping out English/getting structure in place if Stef were to come back. Reading VFL review, Sweet laid a heap of tackles and worked hard apparently.

Perhaps
In- Sweet, Lewy Young, Wally
Out- Hannan, Gardner, Scott ('managed')
Sub- Scott

I know a few changes but we've done it before after smashing sides this season. Only one dropped really.

FrediKanoute
29-06-2021, 09:56 PM

Leading into Eagles game

That's changed a lot now with Gardner and Wood out. Means it's Young or Crozier, I really want Young but the back up there has been reduced a lot.

I think it's the time for Schache to trial there now. Bevo mentioned him as a possible KPD back up as part of him going over to WA.

Reading the write up of the the VFL and it seemed to me that Khumis was preferred to Young in the sense that he gives more drive from the backline.

Cyberdoggie
30-06-2021, 12:59 AM

Leading into Eagles game

Think it's between Buku and Young to take Gardners spot. Against norf i'd go Buku for that third tall with some mobility and playmaking.

jeemak
30-06-2021, 01:02 AM
Ed Richards pedigree is very good. His Grandfather Ron Richards was BOG in Collingwood’s 1953 Premiership and his brother Lou Richards was a Legend. Ed was very impressive against WCE and looks a certainty to become a regular in our best 22
Both Richards and Maclean add class and determination to our line up.

Providing BT doesn't trade him away for peanuts NBP! We have to keep an eye on him.

jeemak
30-06-2021, 01:03 AM
I'd be OK with the one change for Gardner. Everyone in the side played their part on the weekend, so with that in mind I'm just going with Young for Gardner in lieu of us wanting to maintain the three tall defenders and Wood not a chance to come in.

The side that played did the job and they deserve a crack again.

EasternWest
30-06-2021, 11:54 AM
Lew Young has to come in, doesn't he?

MrMahatma
30-06-2021, 12:40 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if, over the next 3 or 4 weeks, we look to "manage" about 6-8 players. The team hasn't had the week off, and you can imagine that a week off wouldn't be the worst thing for Keath, Bont, Libba, McRae, Hunter, Smith etc... blokes who have played a lot so far this year and are definite best 22.

Mantis
30-06-2021, 05:19 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if, over the next 3 or 4 weeks, we look to "manage" about 6-8 players. The team hasn't had the week off, and you can imagine that a week off wouldn't be the worst thing for Keath, Bont, Libba, McRae, Hunter, Smith etc... blokes who have played a lot so far this year and are definite best 22.

I get what you mean, but we did have a bye 2 weeks ago.

Axe Man
30-06-2021, 05:31 PM
I get what you mean, but we did have a bye 2 weeks ago.

There should also be the pre-finals week off as well. That's without considering potential covid interruptions.

I don't think we will be resting players unless there is a specific reason to do so. We can also manage game time to lighten the load on players - eg against West Coast Libba clocked 74% TOG (averages 78%).

1eyedog
01-07-2021, 12:03 PM
I'd rest Libba if we play the Suns in Vic. He just does so much heavy lifting.

mjp
01-07-2021, 12:25 PM
Any chance we tag Cunnington this week?

He destroyed the Suns last week and I don't want North hanging around within striking distance - I want our foot on their throat from the first bounce and the game out of reach by half-time.

comrade
01-07-2021, 12:42 PM

He destroyed the Suns last week and I don't want North hanging around within striking distance - I want our foot on their throat from the first bounce and the game out of reach by half-time.

I don't think we'd start with one, not really Bevo's MO. The Goldy/Cunnington combo is pretty potent though, we won't have it all our own way inside.

Mofra
01-07-2021, 12:45 PM
Think it's between Buku and Young to take Gardners spot. Against norf i'd go Buku for that third tall with some mobility and playmaking.
Can he run out a game at AFL level yet?
In his appearance a few weeks ago he spent most of the last quarter on the bench.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2021, 12:59 PM
More I think about it if Bevo still wants 3 talls in the backline going into the finals we have to play Young. And keep playing him to show him we have faith in his ability and build his confidence up.

1eyedog
01-07-2021, 01:15 PM
I don't think we'd start with one, not really Bevo's MO. The Goldy/Cunnington combo is pretty potent though, we won't have it all our own way inside.

Cunnington has a habit of beating up on inferior midfields, but he's still a very good player. I wonder if we'll assign Toby a role on him?

Cyberdoggie
01-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Can he run out a game at AFL level yet?
In his appearance a few weeks ago he spent most of the last quarter on the bench.

Was that a lack of fitness or that in a tight game they didn't want to expose him?

It was a bit of an odd decision at the time in my opinion. We did a similar thing with Will Hayes last year when he had a average game, don't think he's played since.

Not that i'm underating North but i think it would be good to try him this week.

DOG GOD
01-07-2021, 03:27 PM

Have we ever tag him before ? I don’t remember that we have. I’m expecting him to get his 30, but I think we need to put some work into him. Maybe Bevo just doesn’t rate either him or their midfield to not go head to head.

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2021, 03:28 PM
Was that a lack of fitness or that in a tight game they didn't want to expose him?

It was a bit of an odd decision at the time in my opinion. We did a similar thing with Will Hayes last year when he had a average game, don't think he's played since.

Not that i'm underating North but i think it would be good to try him this week.

That was the West Coast game in Brisbane. Hayes made a dreadful error with his attack on the ball that allowed an easy WC possession. Pretty sure it cost a goal.

Bevo dragged him and he has never graced the playing service during a senior game since. It was a real surprise we kept him on the list.

Mofra
01-07-2021, 04:17 PM
Have we ever tag him before ? I don’t remember that we have. I’m expecting him to get his 30, but I think we need to put some work into him. Maybe Bevo just doesn’t rate either him or their midfield to not go head to head.
Cunnington is a brute though so the two most obvious players - McLean or Libba - aren't entirely suitable.
I'll go with McLean anyway since he can run off him and McLean went to Danger against Geelong. Danger's also a big boy.

bornadog
01-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Squad
Sweet, Schache, Lippa Young

out: Gardy

Grantysghost
01-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Squad
Sweet, Schache, Lippa Young

out: Gardy

Young for Gardner seems a no brainer.

Axe Man
01-07-2021, 07:44 PM
Young for Gardner seems a no brainer.

Wouldn't say it's a no brainer because we don't need to play 3 tall defenders against North. It depends if Bevo wants to continue his 3 tall long term plan or not.

Grantysghost
01-07-2021, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't say it's a no brainer because we don't need to play 3 tall defenders against North. It depends if Bevo wants to continue his 3 tall long term plan or not.

Before I think we were happy to go with a temporary solution as Gardner would return. My feel is now there is a possibility he will not return this season they'd want to give Young time to slot into that spot and take his chance.

Have to say standing very close to the action at the VFL last week he (Young) was very vocal and helped setup the defence regularly.

Even telling Easton were to go. He was screaming hammer at him at one point, which is either code for a role or a player he wanted him to cover. It's also possible he remembered he needed a hammer and Easton was going to Bunnings post match.

I'm thinking the former, Coburg had an extra at the stoppage and Easton was free a kick behind play.

comrade
01-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Before I think we were happy to go with a temporary solution as Gardner would return. My feel is now there is a possibility he will not return this season they'd want to give Young time to slot into that spot and take his chance.

Have to say standing very close to the action at the VFL last week he (Young) was very vocal and helping to setup the defence regularly. Even telling Easton were to go. He was screaming hammer at him at one point, which is either code for a role or a player he wanted him to cover. It's also possible he remembered he needed a hammer and Easton was going to Bunnings post match.

I'm thinking the former, Coburg had an extra at the stoppage and Easton was free a kick behind play.

I thought Young was excellent v Coburg, very engaged with no lapses in concentration. If he played like that for another club's VFL side, I'd be thinking that I hope we look at him because he's exactly what we need.

azabob
01-07-2021, 07:57 PM
ROUND 16 SQUAD

Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne

Sunday 4 July, 4.40pm

Marvel Stadium

B: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams

HB: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale

C: Ed Richards, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith

HF: Jason Johannisen, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman

F: Anthony Scott, Josh Bruce, Lachie Hunter

R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli

Ext. int: Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Josh Schache, Toby McLean, Patrick Lipinski, Mitch Hannan, Riley Garcia, Jordon Sweet

In: Lewis Young, Josh Schache, Patrick Lipinski, Jordon Sweet

Out: Ryan Gardner (shoulder)

comrade
01-07-2021, 08:01 PM
The other benefit of playing Young is he is a decent 2nd ruck option and won't disrupt our structure forward of the ball.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2021, 08:17 PM
The other benefit of playing Young is he is a decent 2nd ruck option and won't disrupt our structure forward of the ball.

Looking to the future I believe Young and English would make an excellent ruck combination.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2021, 08:17 PM
I'd go with

Lewy, Garcia, Tobias, Sweet

Sub- Wally

Rough on Wally but he is getting closer. I'd go Sweet to freshen up/protect English a bit.

azabob
01-07-2021, 08:19 PM
I'd go with

Lewy, Garcia, Tobias, Sweet

Sub- Wally

Rough on Wally but he is getting closer. I'd go Sweet to freshen up/protect English a bit.

Why have you cooled on Young?

GVGjr
01-07-2021, 08:50 PM
Why have you cooled on Young?

Isn't "Lewy" Young?

Rocco Jones
01-07-2021, 08:53 PM
Isn't "Lewy" Young?

I have just realised no need to go with L+ Young with Lachie Young at North. Worth getting rid of him on that alone IMO.

Habit. Sorry. Young.

azabob
01-07-2021, 08:58 PM
Isn't "Lewy" Young?

I have just realised no need to go with L+ Young with Lachie Young at North. Worth getting rid of him on that alone IMO.

Habit. Sorry. Young.

Yes, yes he is.

As you were.

kruder
01-07-2021, 09:45 PM

I reckon we need to keep simple for Young. Play Cordy/Bruce as the second ruck if we only go with Timmy and let Young get some continuity down back.

bornadog
01-07-2021, 09:47 PM

Habit. Sorry. Young.

Lachie got dropped this week

divvydan
01-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Looking at the nth team, have to think there's a decent chance Walker plays fwd unless we bring in Sweet and play English fwd. If he does, Young makes more sense.

Hotdog60
01-07-2021, 11:05 PM
Sweet had a good game last week by accounts with nine tackles and a few hitouts so he may get rewarded to go against soup.

boydogs
02-07-2021, 12:29 AM
In terms of our CHB woes I feel we'll try Young again at some stage because Cordy as our second tall is simply not a long-term option. And it's not a finals option. We all know he's going to get monstered at some stage and the consequences could be dire.

I think pace is Cordy's biggest issue, not size. Oscar Allen kicked 2 quick goals from centre clearances leading Cordy to the ball which looked like it might get WCE back in the game. They weren't from wrestling contests

If Cordy isn't 2nd tall, then he's probably playing on someone even quicker where his lack of pace is even more exposed

jeemak
02-07-2021, 12:47 AM

Habit. Sorry. Young.

Yes, you're definitely at fault here, and aza definitely isn't.

jeemak
02-07-2021, 12:48 AM
Lachie got dropped this week

I wouldn't blame them if they didn't play him against us ever again given he basically became our nineteenth player on the field last they did.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2021, 12:59 AM
Anthony Scott, just learning about him. Looking forward to seeing him play.

I remember the days or Rocket getting annoyed with media guys always running the theme of 'need a tall forward'

Now we have Giant, Bulldog army, with one sporting a flowing mullet, taking the mark of the week every week.
Another hair stylist in Bruce, not far off leading the Coleman. Enjoyable to watch.

North always plays quite physically.
Haven't seen them much this season but look forward to the game.
With Covid biting, each week is a blessing to have AFL at the moment. Must be thousands of strings being pulled behind the scenes.

jeemak
02-07-2021, 01:19 AM
Anthony Scott, just learning about him. Looking forward to seeing him play.
Marra, Scott, Bruce, Naughton, English, and Darcy's son coming through.
I Remember the days or Rocket getting annoyed with media guys always running the theme of 'need a tall forward'
"Well, we don't have one".
Now we have Giant, Bulldog army, with one sporting a flowing mullet, taking the mark of the week every week.
Another hair stylist in Bruce, not far off leading the Coleman. Enjoyable to watch.

North always plays quite physically.
Haven't seen them much this season but look forward to the game.
Each week is a blessing to have AFL at the moment. Must be thousands of strings being pulled behind the scenes.

Well you've missed a lot of commentary about Cam Zurhaar being a big unit, a big barrel chested unit.....but not a lot about whether he's any good at football (which he kinda is).

Just hope to avoid the above hyperbole we don't get Brayshaw commentating on the game, because he has an unusual fascination with the size of men who play footy and given North are shit and he's a massive boner boy for North that's all you'll hear about because that's all they have.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2021, 01:52 AM
Well you've missed a lot of commentary about Cam Zurhaar being a big unit, a big barrel chested unit.....but not a lot about whether he's any good at football (which he kinda is).

Just hope to avoid the above hyperbole we don't get Brayshaw commentating on the game, because he has an unusual fascination with the size of men who play footy and given North are shit and he's a massive boner boy for North that's all you'll hear about because that's all they have.

I miss Michael Firrito falling about. He was fun to watch. Like the chesty bonds man.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2021, 11:34 AM
Looking to the future I believe Young and English would make an excellent ruck combination.

Youngy has always surprised me how decent he is in the ruck when given the chance.

azabob
02-07-2021, 11:44 AM
Yes, you're definitely at fault here, and aza definitely isn't.

I thought it was best to apologise regardless who was at fault (clearly Rocco) to keep the peace.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2021, 11:55 AM
I thought it was best to apologise regardless who was at fault (clearly Rocco) to keep the peace.

Haha.

Jokes, aside, I legit keep calling him Lewy just because of the L.Young thing. Lachie is gone now. In/out Young it is.

Ozza
02-07-2021, 12:12 PM
I miss Michael Firrito falling about. He was fun to watch. Like the chesty bonds man.

Daniel Pratt was the one for me....real pretend tough guy who couldn't play.

bulldogtragic
02-07-2021, 12:34 PM

I love their faux tough man stuff, especially when it’s tried on Barry Hall. That still makes me giggle. I wonder at what point complete regret was setting in. Upright or on the ground, or when his teammates showed disinterest in helping him.

Or when they targeted Cloke at his most vulnerable and there were no consequences. The rib injury arguably ended his career short.

Seems to be there tough man MO. Hit them when they can’t hit you back, like I presume Toby Green has tattooed across his chest. They seemed genuinely shocked when Bruce kicked his 10th and Libba face to face took on four of them.

Imagine if the shinboner spirit entailed skill and winning games and not cheap shots interpreted as toughness.

Happy Days
02-07-2021, 12:43 PM
That game in 2015(?) where Firitto tried to rough up Bont and Bont straight up laughed at him was probably my favourite Dogs game ever before 2016.

jeemak
02-07-2021, 12:58 PM
They're really strange with the way they carry on.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2021, 01:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKC__RH3Gg Back memory lane

Lucky Sumich V Danny Southern wasn't repeated...

Grantysghost
02-07-2021, 01:42 PM

That day with Barry my most vivid memory is when he went to the bench just after the main altercation.

He ran with his arms up, basically indicating he was not going to do anything.

I remember the Norf players approaching him as he made his way off and his elbows just happened to be at head height. I think Pratt may have been one of the unlucky ones that unfortunately intersected the totally innocent path of Barry's uncocked guns.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2021, 01:49 PM
That day with Barry my most vivid memory is when he went to the bench just after the main altercation.

He ran with his arms up, basicay indicating he was not going to do anything.

I remember the Norf players approaching him as he made his way off and his elbows just happened to be at head height. I think Pratt may have been one of the unlucky ones that unfortunately intersected the totally innocent path of Barry's uncocked guns.

I remember it well too. I was sitting behind the goals in the forward line when he had Thompson in a head lock. Crowd was going ballistic. Then when he ran off and the cameras cut to Eade screaming into the phone about to burst a temple to get Hall off the ground.

Happy Days
02-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Scott Thompson was such a dickhead.

Happy Days
02-07-2021, 02:00 PM
I mean he probably still is but he used to be too.

Axe Man
02-07-2021, 02:12 PM

He ran with his arms up, basicay indicating he was not going to do anything.

https://youtu.be/nBCE7B_ydP4

jeemak
02-07-2021, 02:30 PM

He was a real blockhead.

Axe Man
02-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Young in for Gardner the only change.

Medical Sub to be one of: [27] Patrick Lipinski, [13] Josh Schache, [3] Mitch Wallis, [41] Jordon Sweet

1eyedog
02-07-2021, 06:12 PM
Mitch Hannan has incriminating evidence.

comrade
02-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Take your chance, Lewy.

bornadog
02-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Mitch Hannan has incriminating evidence.

Has been rubbish since he started, not sure why he is getting a game.

westbulldog
02-07-2021, 06:32 PM
I can't see how Hannan is preferred to Mitch Wallis. Hannan should be back to VFL imo.

Mantis
02-07-2021, 06:57 PM
Take your chance, Lewy.

I just hope he's given an extended run to stake his claim.

DOG GOD
02-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Has been rubbish since he started, not sure why he is getting a game.
Obviously doing the one percenters Bevo loves.
I totally agree with you. From what I’ve seen, I’d rather McNeil in there.

comrade
02-07-2021, 07:25 PM

Yep, at least 3-4 weeks to prove he deserves a spot. Hopefully we're setting him up for success by playing Keath and Cordy beside him, allowing him to play to his strength of sagging off to intercept.

Mofra
02-07-2021, 07:25 PM
I can't see how Hannan is preferred to Mitch Wallis. Hannan should be back to VFL imo.
We are obviously playing him to be that quick pressure player.
I still like McNeill in that role. Hannan is very lucky

Happy Days
02-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Young’s looked legit awesome in the seconds when I’ve watched and was pretty good at least against Brisbane. I think he was shafted out of the side and I really hope he cashes in on this opportunity.

Grantysghost
02-07-2021, 07:31 PM

Agree, this next block of 4 is huge for his career with us.

Grantysghost
02-07-2021, 07:54 PM
We are obviously playing him to be that quick pressure player.
I still like McNeill in that role. Hannan is very lucky

I think he and Weightman are doing that and maybe he’s a point of difference to McNeil and Cody given his height and ability to pressure in the air.
He crashed a couple of packs last week at pace which I was impressed with. He is fringe though that’s for sure.

I’ll be watching him closely without the ball this week at the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Happy for Young but he needs a block of 4-5 games, not 2.

Hannan very fortunate, he's struggling to have an impact in a side that's pumping the ball inside 50. I would have preferred Marra, but failing that, Wallis or even McNeil.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2021, 08:51 PM
Hannan is in the side for his pressure acts both with tackling and in the air. I thought he did a good job of that last week. He throws himself into the contest. Granted, it's a low bar to measure on but if that's his role, he's doing it well. McNeil doesn't have the aerial presence and Marra could barely sprint to the centre of the ground. Mitch is biding his time for sure though. As soon as Marra breaks a game open at VFL level I'd say he'd replace him straight away.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2021, 09:22 PM

I thought you were mates!

azabob
02-07-2021, 09:33 PM
I thought you were mates!

Shannon Watt I think

FrediKanoute
02-07-2021, 11:02 PM
Young’s looked legit awesome in the seconds when I’ve watched and was pretty good at least against Brisbane. I think he was shafted out of the side and I really hope he cashes in on this opportunity.

I thought he was great v Brisbane and ok the following week. Why he was dropped was a mystery

dog town
03-07-2021, 05:45 AM
I thought he was great v Brisbane and ok the following week. Why he was dropped was a mystery Got nothing to base this on and I didn’t watch the GC game back in detail but I suspect he was a bit out of sync with his positioning. Whether the vfl was the place for him to fix it or not is another question.

1eyedog
03-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Got nothing to base this on and I didn’t watch the GC game back in detail but I suspect he was a bit out of sync with his positioning. Whether the vfl was the place for him to fix it or not is another question.

He wasn't bad in that match though. Didn't have a real match up all game and the Suns hardly crossed the centre in the first half. He seems to be marked very hard i.e great game nothing game out.

If Mitch Hannan was Lewis Young Bevo would have burnt his house down by now.

This will be my last I want Hannan dropped metaphor.

Go_Dogs
03-07-2021, 09:52 AM
Glad Young is in. Let’s hope he plays well and gets some continuity as a result. He may just be the final piece to help us win a flag this year if Gardner is unable to get back.

GVGjr
03-07-2021, 10:31 AM
Glad Young is in. Let’s hope he plays well and gets some continuity as a result. He may just be the final piece to help us win a flag this year if Gardner is unable to get back.

We need to bring Young in for a couple of weeks at least and show him some faith. Games invested now should help us later in the season.
He can play a couple of positions and given his mobility he should be able to match-up on some of the more mid sized opponents.

DOG GOD
03-07-2021, 10:32 AM
Glad to see Young finally back. He offers way more than Gardner anyway. Can play back, fwd and ruck. Hopefully Bevo and the MC give him a chance this time.

Bullies
03-07-2021, 11:32 PM
Glad to see Young finally back. He offers way more than Gardner anyway. Can play back, fwd and ruck. Hopefully Bevo and the MC give him a chance this time. Two different players Young and Gardner. Gardner can actually defend and do a job. Might not get a lot of possessions but neither does his opponent most of the time. Has great closing speed and defends well which is the reason they rush him in. Great opportunity for Young but just worry if he can play on the big 3 forwards against Geelong, Brisbane and West Coast etc.

angelopetraglia
04-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Lippa and Wallis didn't play VFL. Late out?

SquirrelGrip
04-07-2021, 04:26 PM
Lippa and Wallis didn't play VFL. Late out?

I’m expecting one.

divvydan
04-07-2021, 04:51 PM
Richards late out, Wallis in. Lippa sub.

GVGjr
04-07-2021, 04:55 PM

That's a shame

Bumper Bulldogs
04-07-2021, 04:59 PM

That sucks, do you know why. hope it's not serious after his first game back.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 04:59 PM
A half back out, for a mid sized forward?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 05:04 PM
That sucks, do you know why. hope it's not serious after his first game back.

Illness says the telecast.