PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 17 Vs Sydney Swans 2021

Scraggers
25-06-2021, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 16 match against North Melbourne for our Round 17, 2021 match against Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium (Date and Time to be confirmed)?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-07-2021, 06:43 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 07:46 PM
Mix it up:

In: Schache, Jamarra
Out: Naughton, Hannan

GVGjr
04-07-2021, 08:44 PM
In Richards and Sweet
Out Naughton (inj) and Scott
Consider Schache

English moves forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2021, 08:54 PM
Mix it up:

In: Schache, Jamarra

I think the ball would not stay long inside our 50 with those ins.
Naughty out, really presents a dilemma, as we not only lose his aerial prowess, but also have to replace his defensive pressure.

I also think Ed comes unless he's still ill? But don't think Wally loses his spot. This is a tough selection meeting this week. Glad I'm just here potting other people's ideas, rather than having to make a call!

Bumper Bulldogs
04-07-2021, 09:44 PM
It will be interesting at the selection table this week. Naughton out I recon we just go with Young and English rotating throw the forward line. The swans are a tough hard side. I don’t think Lippa did enough to push Hannan Out. So for me Richards straight back in or West of Khamas if Richards don’t get up.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2021, 09:48 PM
I think the ball would not stay long inside our 50 with those ins.
Naughty out, really presents a dilemma, as we not only lose his aerial prowess, but also have to replace his defensive pressure.

I also think Ed comes unless he's still ill? But don't think Wally loses his spot. This is a tough selection meeting this week. Glad I'm just here potting other people's ideas, rather than having to make a call!

Jamarra has the speed and willingness to tackle. Plus if Bevo winds him up all week about what we need from him, that enthusiasm could be useful. He also needs to play on Etihad with the top mids, he’s never going to make it if the testy is windy weather and suburban footballers missing him virtually all the time. The media like the Buddy comparison, so there’s a good narrative and focus on dialling indigenous KPFs. Remember when Bont sparked Hodge in the 2016 Semi Final? It sucked all of anything in Hodge leaving him withered while Bont became the new king. Same same here. We lose, but it’s not horrific in terms of pressure for me. Schache plays the role Hannan is allegedly playing. When forward today and against Geelong VFL last week where he kicked 6, he was more than good enough. We are not losing swapping Hannan & Schache.

I forgot about Richards. Either Scott or Wally.

FrediKanoute
04-07-2021, 09:51 PM

In: Richards, Sweet (Wallis to stay)

My thinking is that Richards slots back across half back and Sweet comes in as number one ruck. English goes forward. Schache is al alternative, but in my mind he is done and we should look to move him on. He will be a goo player for sides like North, Saints, Tigers even the Pies, but he doesn't fit us. We have gone down a strong contested marking route - high balls in - and he just doesn't fit that.

bornadog
04-07-2021, 09:54 PM
Players to have a bad game today

Mclean, Scott, but would we drop them?

Bumper Bulldogs
04-07-2021, 10:00 PM
Players to have a bad game today

Mclean, Scott, but would we drop them?

No chance. McLean will bounce back for sure

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2021, 10:04 PM
We have some challenges. The ruck situation is a little dire again - not sure who Sydney rotates through minus Hickey, so maybe we can have a similar setup to today but we're not getting anything out of Tim. I'd bring in Sweet, especially with Naughton out.

Could Marra be any worse than Hannan?

Richards a good in.

In - Sweet, Marra, Richards
Out - Naughton, Hannan, Scott or Garcia - whoever is tired

kruder
04-07-2021, 10:07 PM
No chance. McLean will bounce back for sure

Mclean just never looks interested when he plays the forward role, maybe we need to give him a role further up the field like mid 2020 just before he got injured.

comrade
04-07-2021, 10:13 PM
Out: Lipinski, Wallis, Hannan, Naughton
In: Richards, Sweet, Jamarra

Wallis to be sub

Scott needs to go back into the forward line, was rubbish as a small defender (which we knew from the first month of the season).

Happy Days
04-07-2021, 11:12 PM
I’d just be doing Richards and Marra for Scott and Naughton. Hannan was honestly pretty decent today and should’ve had 2-3 goals. Plus we’ll need his (largely theoretical) pace to keep the ball pinned if Wallis is sticking around.

Mantis
05-07-2021, 10:48 AM
In - Richards, JUH

Out - Naughton, McLean, Lipinski

Toby looked as flat as a pancake yesterday so a break might not be a bad thing for him given he's come off a long lay-off.

On form JUH probably doesn't warrant selection, but the time is right to give him a taste.

Axe Man
05-07-2021, 02:19 PM
We have some challenges. The ruck situation is a little dire again - not sure who Sydney rotates through minus Hickey, so maybe we can have a similar setup to today but we're not getting anything out of Tim. I'd bring in Sweet, especially with Naughton out.

Could Marra be any worse than Hannan?

Richards a good in.

In - Sweet, Marra, Richards
Out - Naughton, Hannan, Scott or Garcia - whoever is tired

I think Joel Amartey is the relief ruck at the moment - young 197cm forward.

GVGjr
05-07-2021, 02:30 PM

Bulldog supporter.

DOG GOD
05-07-2021, 05:53 PM

And he’s looking pretty good.

DOG GOD
05-07-2021, 05:53 PM
In- Richards
Out- Naughton

Young to play fwd

bornadog
05-07-2021, 06:09 PM
In- Richards
Out- Naughton

Young to play fwd

They also play a three prong tall forward line, so Young is needed in defense.

DOG GOD
05-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Ah ok. Haven’t watch much of Sydney this year.

bornadog
05-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Ah ok. Haven’t watch much of Sydney this year.

They have Buddy, Blakey, and Amarty all over 195cm.

Having said that, does Young go forward, and Crozier comes in and plays tall? I don't actually like that option, but you never know.

Axe Man
05-07-2021, 06:35 PM

Having said that, does Young go forward, and Crozier comes in and plays tall? I don't actually like that option, but you never know.

I believe Blakey has been playing back so if that's the third tall you are talking about I'm not sure it's accurate (I haven't watched the swans lately).

bornadog
05-07-2021, 06:41 PM
I believe Blakey has been playing back so if that's the third tall you are talking about I'm not sure it's accurate (I haven't watched the swans lately).

ok, you could be right. I thought he played more forward.

azabob
05-07-2021, 06:47 PM
If Blakey plays forward I’m sure Williams can cover him.

Axe Man
05-07-2021, 06:47 PM
ok, you could be right. I thought he played more forward.

Just going off Swans BF thread, which incidentally is about 90% whinging about the umpires and the 2016 grand final. They really need counselling, it's quite sad.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2021, 07:04 PM
Just going off Swans BF thread, which incidentally is about 90% whinging about the umpires and the 2016 grand final. They really need counselling, it's quite sad.

Upset with the goal review of JJs goal are they? Or that Rohan didn’t show up? Or Tippett got the day wrong and turned up Sunday? Or they couldn’t stop Tom Boyd?

EasternWest
05-07-2021, 08:40 PM

I hope you posted this:

https://i.postimg.cc/WzXKMcrJ/images-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Rocco Jones
05-07-2021, 09:01 PM
In: Marra/Schache (50/50 on them), Richards/Crozier (if Ed isn't right)
Out: Naughts, Scott

If Tobias needs a break, I guess he can be sub. Lip there too.

boydogs
06-07-2021, 12:59 AM
Hannan was alright yesterday, everyone saying Jamarra or Schache would be better underestimate Hannan's pace, marking and fitness

I would bring Sweet in and send English forward for Naughton

Richards back in for Scott

DOG GOD
06-07-2021, 03:45 PM

As soon as Naughton got injured, young found himself forward. I reckon Bevo was giving him some time knowing Naughton would be out this week. And, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Crozier come in, and get Williams to play tall.

azabob
06-07-2021, 03:57 PM
As soon as Naughton got injured, young found himself forward. I reckon Bevo was giving him some time knowing Naughton would be out this week. And, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Crozier come in, and get Williams to play tall.

I don't think we need to bring in Crozier even if Young plays forward and Williams tall.

Keath, Cordy, Williams and Duryea can play on the Sydney dangerous forwards.

Mantis
06-07-2021, 04:03 PM

I think the Young shift was just an in game reactionary move to give us some height up forward. With a couple of natural forwards to pick from in the VFL team I'd hope we would use one of those in their natural role and shift Young back to defence. Would like to see him on Amartey with Cordy on Heeney or Hayward.

DOG GOD
06-07-2021, 04:24 PM
I think the Young shift was just an in game reactionary move to give us some height up forward. With a couple of natural forwards to pick from in the VFL team I'd hope we would use one of those in their natural role and shift Young back to defence. Would like to see him on Amartey with Cordy on Heeney or Hayward.
You’re probably right. Young on Amartey sounds like a good match. I’d be a little worried with Cordy on Heeney. Wouldn’t mind seeing Williams there, and Dale taking Hayward.
Cordy on wicks? Duryea on papley ?

Dale on Hayward
Young on Amartey
Duryea on papley
Williams on Hayward
Keath on Franklin
Cordy on wicks

merantau
06-07-2021, 08:17 PM
I hope you posted this:

https://i.postimg.cc/WzXKMcrJ/images-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I never tire of seeing this photo and the unbridled joy on the faces of the supporters.

Scraggers
06-07-2021, 08:53 PM
I think it’s time to unleash JUH. I believe he wasn’t ready, but also think the delivery from our kids without weather conditions will prove the difference. Leave Young in defence, bring in Ed Richards for Scott. Pat stays as Sub. Richards had a bit more versatility than Scott.

So in JUH and Richards
Out Naughton and Scott.

EasternWest
06-07-2021, 10:47 PM
I never tire of seeing this photo and the unbridled joy on the faces of the supporters.

It's an amazing photo

Ozza
06-07-2021, 10:52 PM
Upset with the goal review of JJs goal are they? Or that Rohan didn’t show up? Or Tippett got the day wrong and turned up Sunday? Or they couldn’t stop Tom Boyd?

Its quite pathetic....the game goes another 5 minutes and we win by 50.....they were broken.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 12:15 PM
I think itÂ’s time to unleash JUH. I believe he wasnÂ’t ready, but also think the delivery from our kids without weather conditions will prove the difference. Leave Young in defence, bring in Ed Richards for Scott. Pat stays as Sub. Richards had a bit more versatility than Scott.

So in JUH and Richards
Out Naughton and Scott.

when Sweet got beaten by Gawn, English and Bruce were still able to contribute 5 goals. Since both have been used as ruck they have contributed a total of 2 in a fortnight. Bruce showed the effects on Sunday by missing a sitter (from YoungÂ’s mark in Q4)

We need to have both English and Bruce doing what they do best. Dominant forwards and a losing ruck are preferable to having a losing ruck and ineffective forwards. Especially with the loss of Naughton.

We risk seeing a cascade of negatives if we donÂ’t restore what worked previously. Sweet should be selected against Swans.

Axe Man
07-07-2021, 12:28 PM
when Sweet got beaten by Gawn, English and Bruce were still able to contribute 5 goals. Since both have been used as ruck they have contributed a total of 2 in a fortnight. Bruce showed the effects on Sunday by missing a sitter (from YoungÂ’s mark in Q4)

We need to have both English and Bruce doing what they do best. Dominant forwards and a losing ruck are preferable to having a losing ruck and ineffective forwards. Especially with the loss of Naughton.

We risk seeing a cascade of negatives if we donÂ’t restore what worked previously. Sweet should be selected against Swans.

Bruce participated in 1 centre bounce and a total of 2 ruck contests for the entire game, can't blame that for him missing a goal.

I couldn't care less who kicks the goals, I hope we design a game plan to win, not ensure our key forwards kick goals.

I'm not against Sweet coming in this week but it's not as straightforward as you suggest, there are a few potentially viable options.

comrade
07-07-2021, 12:35 PM
Bruce participated in 1 centre bounce and a total of 2 ruck contests for the entire game, can't blame that for him missing a goal.

I couldn't care less who kicks the goals, I hope we design a game plan to win, not ensure our key forwards kick goals.

I'm not against Sweet coming in this week but it's not as straightforward as you suggest, there are a few potentially viable options.

Yeah, I've bashed our solo ruck strategy as much as anyone but it's a stretch to blame it on Brucey's average game on the weekend.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I've bashed our solo ruck strategy as much as anyone but it's a stretch to blame it on Brucey's average game on the weekend.

Totally. Lewy took pretty much all of that burden. He had to play back, ruck and forward. I was impressed with his ability to adapt. Not easy for anyone, let alone someone in his first game back in.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Sweet is just not ready and showed that against Soup on the week end. However he needs more and more exposure so maybe this week is a good time?

Mantis
07-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Sweet is just not ready and showed that against Soup on the week end. However he needs more and more exposure so maybe this week is a good time?

I’d be more inclined to play Sweet against GC who may not have a recognised ruckman.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2021, 12:59 PM
I’d be more inclined to play Sweet against GC who may not have a recognised ruckman.

Hickey going really well too.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 01:07 PM

All true, but since Martin has had injuries the team has had less possessions, down from near 400 to 350. Puts more pressure on the team defending top spot. Who was ruck when Macrae and Libba combined for over 70 possessions a few weeks back. Sweet, still our best option. Young also looked promising on Sunday.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2021, 01:10 PM

Sweety got 2 coaches votes against Ryder it must be remembered. I think that who it was.

1eyedog
07-07-2021, 01:10 PM
I don't mind English going head to head against Hickey. I don't think we are going to gain anything bringing in Sweet and think he actually provides us with less flexibility. Hickey has been in the system a long time and is experienced and playing well but he's not a bullocking type that Tim can struggle with. He likes space and likes to jump at the ball. Tim's been better in the ruck over the past few weeks I'd like to see how he goes .

Danjul
07-07-2021, 01:14 PM
In my opinion we should have chased big Tom instead of Martin. or better still not given him away.

My point is not about having a winning ruck, other teams have better. It is about team stability.

Sweet has had a handful of games and has been very serviceable in all but one. And the team did benefit from his presence.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 01:30 PM
I don't mind English going head to head against Hickey. I don't think we are going to gain anything bringing in Sweet and think he actually provides us with less flexibility. Hickey has been in the system a long time and is experienced and playing well but he's not a bullocking type that Tim can struggle with. He likes space and likes to jump at the ball. Tim's been better in the ruck over the past few weeks I'd like to see how he goes .
Tim had 17 hitouts against Goldstein and 9 possessions. Sweet had 17 hitouts against Gawn and 3 possessions. Both fails.

Who is better? Gawn or Goldstein. .????

Tim doing well. Sweet bad beyond belief.

Mantis
07-07-2021, 01:30 PM
All true, but since Martin has had injuries the team has had less possessions, down from near 400 to 350. Puts more pressure on the team defending top spot. Who was ruck when Macrae and Libba combined for over 70 possessions a few weeks back. Sweet, still our best option. Young also looked promising on Sunday.

We also had Dunkley & Treloar in the team at that point who rack up the possessions.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-07-2021, 01:56 PM

We're getting minimal from English as a first ruck though - very little marking around the ground and no impact forward, which is where he is most dangerous.

Goldstein comfortably beat English (scored 2.1 with 14 touches and 30 hitouts vs 0 score, 9 possessions and 17 hitouts)and whilst the ruck can be mitigated somewhat by our midfield's ability to adapt, it's still not ideal and moreover it still makes us less dangerous forward.

That's without mentioning Naughton isn't playing this week.

I think we simply have to play Sweet.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 01:57 PM
We also had Dunkley & Treloar in the team at that point who rack up the possessions.
When Dunkley had his highest possessions count for the year (38) Sweet was the ruckman.

Relevant? Don’t know, but interesting.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 02:13 PM
In my opinion we should have chased big Tom instead of Martin. or better still not given him away.

My point is not about having a winning ruck, other teams have better. It is about team stability.

Sweet has had a handful of games and has been very serviceable in all but one. And the team did benefit from his presence.
Just noticed that Campbell had 19 possessions and 8 marks against Collingwood a few weeks ago. 6th for possessions and 2nd for marks in the team. Never understood why his talent wasn’t developed at the Dogs.

1eyedog
07-07-2021, 02:36 PM
We're getting minimal from English as a first ruck though - very little marking around the ground and no impact forward, which is where he is most dangerous.

Goldstein comfortably beat English (scored 2.1 with 14 touches and 30 hitouts vs 0 score, 9 possessions and 17 hitouts)and whilst the ruck can be mitigated somewhat by our midfield's ability to adapt, it's still not ideal and moreover it still makes us less dangerous forward.

It will be interesting to see what we do. I'm not enamoured with Sweet but as you say if we feel that English can make a contribution forward then I agree that Sweet needs to be looked at.

IMO Tim has stunk it up playing forward since his concussion. I wonder whether Bevo will consider Schache or simply move Young forward if we don't bring Sweet into the side.

At least we have options!

dog town
07-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Just noticed that Campbell had 19 possessions and 8 marks against Collingwood a few weeks ago. 6th for possessions and 2nd for marks in the team. Never understood why his talent wasn’t developed at the Dogs. If you have a guy with his level of mobility you need some pretty valuable attributes to mitigate what you lose by having a statue in your team for 3 phases of the game. Performances say he doesn’t have any of those valuable attributes or certainly not at the level you would need.

Danjul
07-07-2021, 03:01 PM
If you have a guy with his level of mobility you need some pretty valuable attributes to mitigate what you lose by having a statue in your team for 3 phases of the game. Performances say he doesn’t have any of those valuable attributes or certainly not at the level you wou ld need.
Martin has taken 8 marks for the season and not had 19 possessions in a game. Comparison says he Campbell probably does.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 03:13 PM
Martin has taken 8 marks for the season and not had 19 possessions in a game. Comparison says he Campbell probably does.

The stats that don’t show up is negating your opponent and that is what we want Martin to do, so our mids can mop up

Danjul
07-07-2021, 03:23 PM
The stats that don’t show up is negating your opponent and that is what we want Martin to do, so our mids can mop up
Agreed. And I think Sweet has done that in all but the Melbourne game. Dunkley (38) and Macrae (41) and
Libba (31) had stunning games when Sweet played. I think all were personal bests for the season so far.

Ozza
07-07-2021, 03:24 PM
I'd be inclined to play Sweet this week and have English mostly forward. Thats solely due to Naughton being out and nothing to do with solo ruckman strategy. We need English to be our down the line option if we are held up in the back half.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 03:25 PM

I was less concerned with English's ruck performance than I was with his defencive efforts, though this was at the game and I haven't watched a replay to see if there were mitigating factors.

It's highly doubtful to me that Sweet will be played, rather, I think it's likely Schache will come in and we'll see a blend of English, Bruce, Young and him taking the ruck duties.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Agreed. And I think Sweet has done that in all but the Melbourne game. Dunkley (38) and Macrae (41) and
Libba (31) had stunning games when Sweet played. I think all were personal bests for the season so far.

I don't think Sweet is that sort of player.

dog town
07-07-2021, 04:16 PM
Martin has taken 8 marks for the season and not had 19 possessions in a game. Comparison says he Campbell probably does. Not an enormous fan of the current version of Martin but even at current level he isn’t a statue. Can contribute to team defence and follows up at ground level. That’s two phases of the game that Campbell is a passenger for.

hujsh
07-07-2021, 04:39 PM
Is English's performance against Goldstein partly down to having to compete (an quite well for the most part) against NicNat solo last week in the wet? Must be an exhausting job and he wouldn't have been the only one down on output against North from it.

Hotdog60
07-07-2021, 06:48 PM
I think if Martin isn't available Sweet should be played regardless even if it's just for the betterment of his progress.
His not totally bad although I think he doesn't have the tank to get enough game time but that will come if he has it in him.
Also it can only make him better down the track when Martin can't get on the park.

comrade
08-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Social media whispers are starting to grow that Marra is debuting this week.

The Adelaide Connection
08-07-2021, 01:05 PM
Social media whispers are starting to grow that Marra is debuting this week.

I have seen a few posting “you heard it here first” “trust me” type stuff, but if he is going to debut I expect our social media department to go big. I would expect a “watch this space” style teaser 24 hours out and then the usual first game videos. I suppose we could still get those videos tonight, but we usually get them pre-selection night.

comrade
08-07-2021, 01:10 PM
I have seen a few posting “you heard it here first” “trust me” type stuff, but if he is going to debut I expect our social media department to go big. I would expect a “watch this space” style teaser 24 hours out and then the usual first game videos. I suppose we could still get those videos tonight, but we usually get them pre-selection night.

Outside of draft night, everything we've done with Marra has been pretty low key. I expect we won't go over the top with it.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Has Ted Jr been sighted? He’s the best 22 to hand a jumper over. Nice name to add into the mix too.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Has Ted Jr been sighted? He’s the best 22 to hand a jumper over. Nice name to add into the mix too.

EasternWest will be on to you - :D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
08-07-2021, 01:38 PM
Is DFA available?

SquirrelGrip
08-07-2021, 01:46 PM
Is it true Ben Harrison has entered the building?

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 01:49 PM
Is it true Ben Harrison has entered the building?

Sam Lloyd, Mitch Honeychurch, Harrison and DFA are currently engaged in a four way death match for the rights.

comrade
08-07-2021, 01:51 PM
It's happening.

Happy Days
08-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Actual image of Buddy and Jamarra meeting before the game:

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Seriously though we could make some serious coin. Framed photo/lithograph of JUH holding the 22 next to Whitten Jr, Bevo & Bontempelli. All signed. Limited to 2200 hundred. I’d buy one right now, nice collectors piece.

comrade
08-07-2021, 01:54 PM
https://i.ibb.co/CJqqnk8/witter-1.png (https://ibb.co/5Ydd5N4)

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will make his AFL debut this week.

The number one pick in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft will line up for the Western Bulldogs in Sunday afternoon’s clash against the Sydney Swans at Marvel Stadium.

Ugle-Hagan has had to bide his time at VFL level this season. The 19-year-old has kicked 13 goals in seven games for Footscray – including a five-goal haul in round two against the GWS Giants – in a state-league season interrupted by a COVID-19 shutdown.

But with Aaron Naughton ruled out this week due to injury, the door has opened for Luke Beveridge to blood the highly talented key forward.

Ugle-Hagan was the Bulldogs’ first number one draft pick since Adam Cooney (2003) and is only the second Indigenous player to be selected at number one, following Des Headland (1998).

As he made his way through the junior ranks, the 197-centimetre forward idolised Sydney superstar Lance Franklin, who he’ll share the field with on Sunday.

Ugle-Hagan has come through the Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy. He hails from Framlingham – an Indigenous community near Warrnambool in south-west Victoria.

He is a product of the South Warrnambool FC, Scotch College and the Oakleigh Chargers.

He becomes the Bulldogs’ sixth debutant in 2021, joining Anthony Scott, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet, Buku Khamis and Riley Garcia.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 02:41 PM
In JUH
Out Naughton

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2021, 03:05 PM
This could be the start of something big.

josie
08-07-2021, 03:12 PM
More bums on seats….Jamarra and Buddy. Media frenzy about to begin. Hope Club and his family can keep Jamarra grounded in lead up. I think they will. Let the fireworks begin. Should be exciting.

mjp
08-07-2021, 03:20 PM
More bums on seats….Jamarra and Buddy. Media frenzy about to begin. Hope Club and his family can keep Jamarra grounded in lead up. I think they will. Let the fireworks begin. Should be exciting.

??? Grounded???

You only get to debut ONCE! Crank up the hype machine and worry about being grounded in time for game #2!

DOG GOD
08-07-2021, 03:24 PM
Will be interesting to see how he goes. Hopefully he explodes to impress his idol at the other end. Bulldogs fans will be watching far and wide. All the best to the kid.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2021, 03:29 PM
??? Grounded???

You only get to debut ONCE! Crank up the hype machine and worry about being grounded in time for game #2!

Yeah, stuff tempering expectations - let the excitement overflow. It's good for the soul.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 03:38 PM
These are about the most exciting things we can have happen. I hope we get every ounce of fun out of this. I’ve a spring in my step already. I can’t wait for Sunday.

bornadog
08-07-2021, 04:15 PM
These are about the most exciting things we can have happen. I hope we get every ounce of fun out of this. I’ve a spring in my step already. I can’t wait for Sunday.

Do you get to games these days BT? Might be worth the trip this week

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Do you get to games these days BT? Might be worth the trip this week

I’m living in regional NSW these days. Even though no cases right here, I think the rules make it unlikely. I’m sure everyone will have a blast. In an exciting year, this is a new height of excitement. When he kicks his first, the joint will erupt.

Grantysghost
08-07-2021, 04:30 PM
Has the #1 pick ever made their debut for the top team before? Somebody ask Sir Swamp :cool :

I guess early in the season it's more likely but I'd say by rd 17 it would be super rare.

Mantis
08-07-2021, 04:33 PM
??? Grounded???

Yep.. we're on top of the ladder and have the most exciting kid in the system about to debut... bring on the hype!

And if you are going to debut.. easier to do it in in best team than in the worst.

Axe Man
08-07-2021, 05:14 PM
Marra will be player number 41 for the season, only Hayes and Bedendo to go!

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Marra will be player number 41 for the season, only Hayes and Bedendo to go!

With only Bedendo not to play at the next level. Lonely club of one. But with 12 goals already, I think he will at some stage next year.

josie
08-07-2021, 06:17 PM
??? Grounded???

I deserve that riposte….correction: I hope he takes mark of the year & kicks 3+ goals on debut…

bornadog
08-07-2021, 06:40 PM
I deserve that riposte….correction: I hope he takes mark of the year & kicks 3+ goals on debut…

3 ? lets make it 5 :D

azabob
08-07-2021, 07:26 PM
In: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Schache, Lachie McNeil, Hayden Crozier, Jordon Sweet, Ed Richards

Out: Aaron Naughton (concussion), Patrick Lipinski, Toby McLean

azabob
08-07-2021, 07:26 PM
ROUND 17 SQUAD

Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans

Sunday 11 June, 3.20pm

Marvel Stadium

B: Caleb Daniel, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams

HB: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale

C: Mitch Hannan, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith

HF: Jason Johannisen, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman

F: Anthony Scott, Josh Bruce, Lachie Hunter

R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli

Ext. int: Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Josh Schache, Lachie McNeil, Hayden Crozier, Riley Garcia, Jordon Sweet, Ed Richards

bornadog
08-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Toby has had two ordinary weeks, so I am not surprised

bulldogtragic
08-07-2021, 07:34 PM
For me:

Int: Young, Schache, Garcia, Richards
Sub: Wallis

divvydan
08-07-2021, 08:26 PM
I see it as one of Young, Schache or Sweet; leaning towards Young there. So, 3 of the other 5 smaller players. Richards a lock for mine if healthy, which probably means no Crozier. Then two of Wallis, Garcia, McNeil. Tend to make minimal changes, so keep Wallis and Garcia.

Thus Int: Young, Richards, Wallis, Garcia. Sub: Crozier/McNeil.

comrade
08-07-2021, 08:28 PM
I see it as one of Young, Schache or Sweet; leaning towards Young there. So, 3 of the other 5 smaller players. Richards a lock for mine if healthy, which probably means no Crozier. Then two of Wallis, Garcia, McNeil. Tend to make minimal changes, so keep Wallis and Garcia.

Thus Int: Young, Richards, Wallis, Garcia. Sub: Crozier/McNeil.

Reckon you might be right. I'd prefer Wallis as sub personally but 3 late goals saves him I guess.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Definitely want to see Lewy kept in the side. Had to play back, ruck and forward last week. I would like to see us persist with the 3 KPDs.

I'd actually also play Schache. Might make it easier for Marra. Also means we are less likely to need Bruce in the ruck and can keep English forward and/or Lewy back more.

I'd have Wally and Richards in. Rough on Garcia...happy if he plays.

anfo27
08-07-2021, 11:58 PM
Sweet has to play for mine. Tim just not good enough as the number 1 last week & need him forward to take some pressure of JUH.

I would then go with Richards, Wallis & Garcia.

dog town
09-07-2021, 07:06 AM
Rarely negative about selection but we look quite weak in some areas on paper. With Jamarra playing I am concerned it limits our ability to play English forward.

Will wait for final selections but I’m hoping we don’t get too creative and definitely not too tall. Pressure and defensive actions must be maintained.

Mantis
09-07-2021, 07:38 AM
Rarely negative about selection but we look quite weak in some areas on paper. With Jamarra playing I am concerned it limits our ability to play English forward.

Will wait for final selections but I’m hoping we don’t get too creative and definitely not too tall. Pressure and defensive actions must be maintained.

Wouldn’t mind seeing English & Young share the ruck duties with Tim taking most of the centre bounces and then Lewis doing the bulk of the around the ground work.

comrade
09-07-2021, 07:45 AM
This week could be the 'weakest' side we've selected for the year. Shouldn't expect too much from JUH and Garcia, our rucks are light on and we're missing our best forward.

Next week should be our strongest side in a while with Dunkley and Naughts likely back.

Just need to find a way to win this and we'll be extremely well placed to come home with a wet sail.

jazzadogs
09-07-2021, 09:37 AM
Weak side against a strong team in Sydney. Hickey has been very good, their forward line has some genuine danger in it with Franklin, Papley and Heeney (plus Hayward as well), and their running defenders have been very important to them with their willingness to take on the game and attack through the corridor. Kennedy, Parker and Mills have had great seasons through the midfield.

Counter that with our strengths - a dominant midfield group of Bont, Libba, Macrae and co, elite half backs in Dale, Daniel and Williams, and JAMARRA.

I think this game, and the Sydney style of attacking the corridor with quick ball movement, will be a real challenge for our style. We are very dependent on winning the ball at stoppages (which won't be easy with Parker and Kennedy), and if we lose it using our rolling defensive zone to stifle movement and cause turnovers. If we can effectively shut down their run with good match ups and a consistent zone, then I think we win. If they are allowed to run and carry, then I think they win.

Mofra
09-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Has the #1 pick ever made their debut for the top team before? Somebody ask Sir Swamp :cool :

I guess early in the season it's more likely but I'd say by rd 17 it would be super rare.
Top team in the AFL and VFL.
What a time to be a Doggies fan... with an expected top 3 draft kid tied to us at the end of the year too

Rocco Jones
09-07-2021, 02:39 PM

Wouldn’t mind seeing English & Young share the ruck duties with Tim taking most of the centre bounces and then Lewis doing the bulk of the around the ground work.

Swans are a bit smaller at both ends too. Do we bring in Crozier to help free up Lewy?

Bench mix will be interesting.

Definitely want Young in. Wally probably should get another go with 3 late goals and Naughts out. Ed was good against the Eagles I thought.

Sweet has struggled in the VFL for the last two weeks (not through lack of effort). McNeil gives us the speed/pressure, Crozier might cover Lewy but Richards in might throw that balance out and Garcia is pretty hard at it, just might not offer much consistently throughout a game at this stage. I actually don't think Schache would be a good call looking at Swans line up. Schache and Marra combo could really limit our defensive pressure without giving us much in the air/marking wise.

bornadog
09-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Swans are a bit smaller at both ends too. Do we bring in Crozier to help free up Lewy?

Bench mix will be interesting.

Definitely want Young in. Wally probably should get another go with 3 late goals and Naughts out. Ed was good against the Eagles I thought.

Sweet has struggled in the VFL for the last two weeks (not through lack of effort). McNeil gives us the speed/pressure, Crozier might cover Lewy but Richards in might throw that balance out and Garcia is pretty hard at it, just might not offer much consistently throughout a game at this stage. I actually don't think Schache would be a good call looking at Swans line up. Schache and Marra combo could really limit our defensive pressure without giving us much in the air/marking wise.

I would drop Scott and bring in McNeil.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2021, 03:37 PM
I would drop Scott and bring in McNeil.

Yeah but Scott in the 18.

Axe Man
09-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Yeah but Scott in the 18.

BAD lives by his own rules!

bornadog
09-07-2021, 04:05 PM
BAD lives by his own rules!

Bevo is just as likely to change the team around. Nothing is set in concrete till the first bounce :)

Axe Man
09-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Bevo is just as likely to change the team around. Nothing is set in concrete till the first bounce :)

Well unless there is an injury/illness the 18 on the ground are set in concrete.

bornadog
09-07-2021, 06:03 PM
Final team

In Richards, JUH

Out Naughton, McLean, Lippa

comrade
09-07-2021, 06:13 PM
Happy Ed is back and that we've backed in Lewy Young again. Take your chance lad.

bornadog
09-07-2021, 06:14 PM

Int: Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Ed Richards, Riley Garcia

Emer: Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet

bulldogtragic
09-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Schache has to be the sub.

GVGjr
09-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Final team

In Richards, JUH

Out Naughton, McLean, Lippa

I'm hearing there is a chance for a late change.

GVGjr
09-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Schache has to be the sub.

I agree, normally you don't want one of the taller players as a sub but I think that suggestion makes sense.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2021, 06:39 PM

I’ll give you a $100 to say Hannan.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2021, 06:53 PM
Int: Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Ed Richards, Riley Garcia

Emer: Hayden Crozier, Josh Schache, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet

- Hannan with Sweet, thats the late change Crozier as the sub.

comrade
09-07-2021, 07:20 PM

Late changes suck.

EasternWest
09-07-2021, 07:21 PM
I’ll give you a $100 to say Hannan.

Leave Britney alone.

bulldogtragic
09-07-2021, 07:23 PM
Late changes suck.

Nah. English for McNeil gives us a bit more zip.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2021, 09:26 PM
ROUND 17 SQUAD

Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans

Sunday 11 June, 3.20pm

Marvel Stadium

Ext. int: Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Josh Schache, Lachie McNeil, Hayden Crozier, Riley Garcia, Jordon Sweet, Ed Richards
What a legendary team.
How good does Marra look on the teamsheet at CHF?

Go_Dogs
10-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Why have we started naming players in actual positions?

Can’t wait for this one. Huge game.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2021, 10:41 AM
What a great team. Every line has an A-grader.
Miss Naughton.

Keith to Buddy? Not sure Cordy is big enough.

Mantis
10-07-2021, 11:24 AM
In - Richards, JUH

Out - Naughton, McLean, Lipinski

Toby looked as flat as a pancake yesterday so a break might not be a bad thing for him given he's come off a long lay-off.

On form JUH probably doesn't warrant selection, but the time is right to give him a taste.

After 150 goes at Bevo lotto I’ve finally worked him out.

Yah for me!

bornadog
10-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Yah for me!

You were spot on.

Luke Beveridge record:

149 games (150 tomorrow)
Wins 86
Loss 63

57.72%

jeemak
10-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Saw the Sydney boys training this morning where I box.........was too knackered to take notice of who was and wasn't there, except Lewis Taylor which was a bit of a letdown.

Bulldog Joe
10-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Why have we started naming players in actual positions?

Can’t wait for this one. Huge game.

We never have, so expect something different.

Or is this weeks trick to name in position and have the opposition second guessing looking for a left field option.

comrade
10-07-2021, 11:54 AM

Yah for me!

That's a good get.

jeemak
10-07-2021, 11:55 AM
You were spot on.

Luke Beveridge record:

149 games (150 tomorrow)
Wins 86
Loss 63

57.72%

Not a bad record.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Not a bad record.

Best Bulldog record ever.
It ranks him with Sheedy, Matthews, Malthouse and Norm Smith.
Better than Clarkson.
And it does not even include his St Bede's ratio.

jeemak
10-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Best Bulldog record ever.
It ranks him with Sheedy, Matthews, Malthouse and Norm Smith.
Better than Clarkson.
And it does not even include his St Bede's ratio.

He has a bit to do to catch up with those other fellas, but I appreciate the enthusiasm!

BornInDroopSt'54
10-07-2021, 07:46 PM
He has a bit to do to catch up with those other fellas, but I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Fact is that is his current percentage, plus a premiership and atop the ladder now. His percentage with this burgeoning team could get better.
Bevo above 57%.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/coaches/coaches_idx.html
Last column Total % column.
Dyer, Jack did alright.