PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Melbourne 2021

Pages : [1] 2

Scraggers
25-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 18 match against Gold Coast Suns for our Round 19, 2021 match against Melbourne on Saturday Night at the G ?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
17-07-2021, 08:14 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
17-07-2021, 08:15 PM
In: Libba, Young
Out: Crozier, McNeil

The Bulldogs Bite
17-07-2021, 08:20 PM

This.

DOG GOD
17-07-2021, 08:21 PM

I’d probably take Roarke out instead of McNeil. At least McNeil had some pace.

josie
17-07-2021, 08:24 PM
Gee-I thought McNeill was very good in last part of quarter when GC started to draw closer. A few nice deliveries into F50 & some important pressure acts. Not sure who else we’d drop though. Perhaps Roarke Smith although l like his no frills footy.

Agree Young for Crozier.

bornadog
17-07-2021, 08:26 PM
Gee-I thought McNeill was very good in last part of quarter when GC started to draw closer. A few nice deliveries into F50 & some important pressure acts. Not sure who else we’d drop though. Perhaps Roarke Smith although l like his no frills footy.

Agree Young for Crozier.

Not sure why we play Roarke, he is just ok.

hujsh
17-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Not sure why we play Roarke, he is just ok.

Sometimes you need footsoldiers to fill out the 22 and Roarke is it.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2021, 08:48 PM
In Libba and McClean
Outs Crozier and R Smith

westbulldog
17-07-2021, 08:56 PM
IN Liberatore McLean Young

OUT Crozier Cordy R Smith

The Pie Man
17-07-2021, 09:11 PM
What’s happened to Crozier? He was dreadful at times (again) today.

azabob
17-07-2021, 09:20 PM

Injuries have caught up with him. He is extremely slow and lost his athletic attributes

Bullies
17-07-2021, 09:30 PM
Not sure why we play Roarke, he is just ok. I'm with you. What am I missing here. If he is in our team finals time we aren't winning.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-07-2021, 09:32 PM

Lost his pace and leap. This has killed his confidence and he is only left with a high kick down the line

Rocco Jones
17-07-2021, 10:00 PM
In: Lewy, Libba
Out: Crozier, Roarke
Medi-Sub: Scott

DOG GOD
17-07-2021, 10:02 PM
Fogarty, himmelburg, walker and thilthorpe in the crows fwd line next week. Surely Young is back.

Keath to walker, but I don’t wanna see Cordy on Thilthorpe, and Williams/ crozier having to take Fogarty and Himmelburg.

1eyedog
17-07-2021, 10:08 PM
Sometimes you need footsoldiers to fill out the 22 and Roarke is it.

But we don't. We have better players.

1eyedog
17-07-2021, 10:10 PM
IN Liberatore McLean Young

OUT Crozier Cordy R Smith

Me too.

bornadog
17-07-2021, 10:20 PM
Me too.

Ditto, but Cordy won't be dropped

Ozza
18-07-2021, 03:32 AM
Reckon Cordy struggled today - but he struggled for a match up at times. No chance he gets dropped.

I'd play Young next week instead of Crozier, so that we have 3 talls.

We were panicky in the air today - and most of the time it was the mid size talls doing the panicking.

I liked Garcia's game today until he started handballing over his head in the last quarter!

Bit too early to know who is available. But we know Libba is always a must.

soupman
18-07-2021, 03:55 AM
Crozier is nowhere near our best 22 atm. Adds nothing. I'd much rather Young who at least could be something we need instead of just a placeholder till Wood returns.

Libba back in probably pushes Roarke back out.

Surprised McNeill's name has come up here, thought today he had some real good moments.

comrade
18-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Reckon Cordy struggled today - but he struggled for a match up at times. No chance he gets dropped.

We were panicky in the air today - and most of the time it was the mid size talls doing the panicking.

I liked Garcia's game today until he started handballing over his head in the last quarter!

Holman and Corbett should be perfect match ups for Cordy. If he can't control those types, what match ups do suit him?

But agree, no way he gets dropped. A definite Bevo favourite.

OUT: Crozier, Roarke
IN: Young, Libba

Time to stick with this mix until finals.

azabob
18-07-2021, 10:14 AM
A few to changes to consider.

INs: Liberatore, Young, McLean / Scott
OUTs: R.Smith, Cozier, McNeil,

Young in for Crozier
Liberatore in for R.Smith
Scott or McLean for McNeil. McNeil came into the game in Q4 but isn’t physically strong enough in the contest and I think he will be exposed come finals time.

The Adelaide Connection
18-07-2021, 10:27 AM
Fogarty, himmelburg, walker and thilthorpe in the crows fwd line next week. Surely Young is back.

Keath to walker, but I don’t wanna see Cordy on Thilthorpe, and Williams/ crozier having to take Fogarty and Himmelburg.

I doubt they will play all four. They brought Fogarty and Himmelberg back this week for Thilthorpe and Frampton. My guess is either Himmelberg or Thilthorpe plays next week- not both.

DOG GOD
18-07-2021, 10:34 AM
I doubt they will play all four. They brought Fogarty and Himmelberg back this week for Thilthorpe and Frampton. My guess is either Himmelberg or Thilthorpe plays next week- not both.

You’re probably right…still think we need Young though

SquirrelGrip
18-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Hopefully we pick a team that can keep them under 79.

https://i.postimg.cc/v8Wv4WKb/68-E5124-A-50-D9-4-B20-AF1-C-6-EE2-C028567-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/z3GhMR5c)

1eyedog
18-07-2021, 11:09 AM

Cordy should be dropped. He lost his shape a number of times and his lack of pace was shown up by a player his size that he should have been able to manage.

He's a complete liability.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2021, 11:13 AM
Hopefully we pick a team that can keep them under 79.

https://i.postimg.cc/v8Wv4WKb/68-E5124-A-50-D9-4-B20-AF1-C-6-EE2-C028567-D.jpg (https://postimg.cc/z3GhMR5c)

Until these three games, we were THE best defence (points against) in the league. Now we are third. I wonder what exactly has happened to open the flood gates (compared the the year to date before it)? Personnel is pretty much the same.

azabob
18-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Until these three games, we were THE best defence (points against) in the league. Now we are third. I wonder what exactly has happened to open the flood gates (compared the the year to date before it)? Personnel is pretty much the same.

Our players have always been slow in reacting defensively when we turn the ball over and maybe we are slipping into old habits? Also doesn’t help that Cordy and Crozier are slow AF, Dale and Williams although quick but not exactly known for there defensive running. Let’s not get started on our midfield defensive running.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Left field one here. Do we rest the Bont. Give him a week to get that shoulder right and freshen up for the run home.

divvydan
18-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Rumours going around that the fixture will be changed for covid reasons and our Rd 20 game against Melbourne will be brought forward to this week, to be played, I assume, here in Melbourne in front of no crowd (again). Does that change the ins and outs that people want?

The Pie Man
18-07-2021, 09:12 PM
Looks like we’ll play Melbourne this weekend instead (not confirmed, yet)

bornadog
18-07-2021, 09:14 PM
Rumours going around that the fixture will be changed for covid reasons and our Rd 20 game against Melbourne will be brought forward to this week, to be played, I assume, here in Melbourne in front of no crowd (again). Does that change the ins and outs that people want?

Maybe for match up purposes.

DOG GOD
18-07-2021, 09:16 PM
Left field one here. Do we rest the Bont. Give him a week to get that shoulder right and freshen up for the run home.

Adelaide would be the only game I’d consider. Would definitely need him against Melb, Ess, Hawks and Port.

GVGjr
18-07-2021, 09:44 PM

Hard to make that call. If he genuinely needs it then yes otherwise the captain needs to be there.

mjp
18-07-2021, 10:01 PM
Seeing a few ins mentioning Toby - I thought he had redone his ACL?

bornadog
18-07-2021, 10:02 PM
Seeing a few ins mentioning Toby - I thought he had redone his ACL?

Unfortunately he has done his ACL. Those ins mentioning him were before posters knew that, or it hadn't happened.

Dry Rot
18-07-2021, 10:24 PM
JUH has had his taste, now time to bring back in our best medium forward Hannan. ;)

Axe Man
19-07-2021, 11:06 AM
Dunkley forced into home quarantine (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/982718/?fbclid=IwAR39oLaTAMZVGANyifoOIkrh8DrzadobgyYXWcMJ7Zk4aV-YsILxbYm5wCU)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley has been directed by the Victorian Department of Health to undergo 14 days of home quarantine, after visiting a Tier 1 coronavirus exposure site last week.

Dunkley purchased a coffee from his local café on July 14, which was later declared an exposure site. He was contacted yesterday by the Department of Health, and his mandatory quarantine period begins from the day he attended the site.

Since July 14, Dunkley has received two separate negative coronavirus test results.

The entire Bulldogs travelling party also received a negative result during their trip to the Gold Coast, as part of the AFL’s testing regime.

Dunkley is complying with quarantine requirements and will be unavailable for this weekend’s Round 19 match, while the rest of the Bulldogs squad will continue their preparations as normal.

Happy Days
19-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Bring the damn bye forward. Playing with fire here.

1eyedog
19-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Bring the damn bye forward. Playing with fire here.

Yeah the AFL needs to pull the plug for a week no doubt.

comrade
19-07-2021, 11:13 AM
This is *!*!*!*!ed.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2021, 11:14 AM
So given Dunkley played on the weekend, should not now the whole team be at risk? Why is he out for this week's game, but yet everyone who he played with and against on the weekend is allowed to play?

Axe Man
19-07-2021, 11:14 AM
At least it wasn't just before the game like GWS and the Swans copped. Would much prefer to be playing Adelaide rather than Melbourne this week without Dunks.

comrade
19-07-2021, 11:15 AM
So given Dunkley played on the weekend, should not now the whole team be at risk? Why is he out for this week's game, but yet everyone who he played with and against on the weekend is allowed to play?

Yeah it makes no sense.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Yeah it makes no sense.

It is some A grade bulls**t is what it is...
If it's truly a risk, then the entire Dogs and Gold Coast teams that took the field on the weekend should be stood down for quarantine as well.

azabob
19-07-2021, 11:22 AM
Dunkley forced into home quarantine (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/982718/?fbclid=IwAR39oLaTAMZVGANyifoOIkrh8DrzadobgyYXWcMJ7Zk4aV-YsILxbYm5wCU)

Dunkley is complying with quarantine requirements and will be unavailable for this weekend’s Round 19 match, while the rest of the Bulldogs squad will continue their preparations as normal.

Tom Morris is reporting that Toby Greene and Mills etc are able to have their 14 day quarantine back dated. I wonder if we are able to do the same with Dunkely considering the two negative tests so far and be back in time for round 20?

Happy Days
19-07-2021, 11:28 AM
Tom Morris is reporting that Toby Greene and Mills etc are able to have their 14 day quarantine back dated. I wonder if we are able to do the same with Dunkely considering the two negative tests so far and be back in time for round 20?

Seems somewhat implied by the "unavailable for Round 19" comment, but you've gotta question how this half pregnant approach is possibly meeting any sort of aim.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 12:26 PM

Western Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley has been directed by the Victorian Department of Health to undergo 14 days of home quarantine, after visiting a Tier 1 coronavirus exposure site last week.

Dunkley purchased a coffee from his local café on July 14, which was later declared an exposure site. He was contacted yesterday by the Department of Health, and his mandatory quarantine period begins from the day he attended the site.

Since July 14, Dunkley has received two separate negative coronavirus test results.

The entire Bulldogs travelling party also received a negative result during their trip to the Gold Coast, as part of the AFL’s testing regime.

Only saving grace he gets out just in time for the following game. I hope it was a great coffee. Full flavour, hot. Imagine getting 14 days for a watery warm coffee. Insult to injury.

Grantysghost
19-07-2021, 12:27 PM
They won't do the bye because they like to have the games banked no matter the inequity.

There will have to be a tipping point though. Melbourne without Dunkley again would be a big advantage to the Demons considering the work they put into Liberatore last time.

Ozza
19-07-2021, 12:32 PM

Dunks' 14 days is being backdated - goes back to the 14th of July I think. So takes him to the 28th.

comrade
19-07-2021, 12:33 PM
Can't wait until we get to Grand Final week and Libba misses because he was checking out the new arrivals at Savers during the week.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Yeah it makes no sense.

It actually does make sense. Exposure to a person who has been to a tier one doesn’t make you a tier one. That said, I think we will see our team in iso until negative test. I know a few people who’ve been in contact with those who had been a tier one. Doesn’t make them one.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 12:42 PM
Can't wait until we get to Grand Final week and Libba misses because he was checking out the new arrivals at Savers during the week.

Lol. It kinda makes me live life thinking what if I visit an exposure site? I’m going to he library, theatre etc.

Mofra
19-07-2021, 12:50 PM
I’m going to he library, theatre etc.
Traditionally, Bulldogs players were highly unlikely to be seen in either of those venues

comrade
19-07-2021, 12:51 PM
It actually does make sense. Exposure to a person who has been to a tier one doesn’t make you a tier one. That said, I think we will see our team in iso until negative test. I know a few people who’ve been in contact with those who had been a tier one. Doesn’t make them one.

He's been forced into isolation because he might be infectious. If he might be infectious, then all the players and staff he's interacted with in the last week also might be infectious. Yet they can all participate and he can't. That's what doesn't make sense.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 01:04 PM
He's been forced into isolation because he might be infectious. If he might be infectious, then all the players and staff he's interacted with in the last week also might be infectious. Yet they can all participate and he can't. That's what doesn't make sense.

Yep I hear you but it’s risk reduction rather than complete elimination. The others should be in tier two. Not sure if they are.

bornadog
19-07-2021, 01:39 PM
Lol. It kinda makes me live life thinking what if I visit an exposure site? I’m going to he library, theatre etc.

I have so far dodged the virus. Jolimont Station, Coles Richmond are tier one and I was there either the day after or different times.
My wife's niece was hosting a few corporate events at AAMI Park and is now exposed to Tier 2, and came to our place the next day.

We are waiting to see how she has tested.

Don't understand if you test negative but you still have to isolate for 14 days? I would have thought 5 days would be enough for the virus to take hold.

comrade
19-07-2021, 01:41 PM
I have so far dodged the virus. Jolimont Station, Coles Richmond are tier one and I was there either the day after or different times.
My wife's niece was hosting a few corporate events at AAMI Park and is now exposed to Tier 2, and came to our place the next day.

We are waiting to see how she has tested.

Don't understand if you test negative but you still have to isolate for 14 days? I would have thought 5 days would be enough for the virus to take hold.

And if not, why do all the people you've interacted with get to keep living normally (or as normally as you can under these conditions).

bornadog
19-07-2021, 01:43 PM
And if not, why do all the people you've interacted with get to keep living normally (or as normally as you can under these conditions).

We need a medico to explain this.

Mantis
19-07-2021, 01:44 PM

You’re going to work through lots of brain cells by trying to make sense of the restrictions in place.

Back on topic, how bad was Lewis Young’s replacement on the weekend?… used all his experience to do add nothing at all to our team.

Happy Days
19-07-2021, 01:46 PM
You’re going to work through lots of brain cells by trying to make sense of the restrictions in place.

Back on topic, how bad was Lewis Young’s replacement on the weekend?… used all his experience to do add nothing at all to our team.

Had a hand in multiple goals though!

bornadog
19-07-2021, 01:48 PM

We really struggled holding those mid sized GC forwards with their pace.

Not sure Lewy would have been better, but Crozier is just about cooked. I understand why he got a spot with two dominating games in the VFL.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 01:51 PM

Not sure Lewy would have been better, but Cozier is just about cooked. I understand why he got a spot with two dominating games in the VFL.

I thought me made several howlers in both games that led to multiple easy goals. That should’ve disqualified him from promotion. He should’ve fixed this in the vfl before being gifted a promotion where he coughed up goals again. Surely that the test not easy stats, as a defender.

comrade
19-07-2021, 02:01 PM

We have to settle on a defensive group soon but I just can't see how it includes both Cordy AND Crozier. Opposition teams will deliberately isolate them both in defensive contests, and when we have the ball.

Happy Days
19-07-2021, 02:04 PM
We have to settle on a defensive group soon but I just can't see how it includes both Cordy AND Crozier. Opposition teams will deliberately isolate them both in defensive contests, and when we have the ball.

Crozier surely at worst comes out for Wood when available.

comrade
19-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Crozier surely at worst comes out for Wood when available.

I mean you'd think so, but who says Wood comes back.

1eyedog
19-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Yeah that's a very good point. Visits a tier 1 site on 14 July and plays on 17 July.

Mantis
19-07-2021, 02:55 PM
Had a hand in multiple goals though!

One for us (neat pass to Naughts), quite a few for them!

Not sure Lewy would have been better, but Crozier is just about cooked. I understand why he got a spot with two dominating games in the VFL.

Who would've thought players like Cordy & Crozier who aren't moving well would struggle against a mobile forward-line?? The overall defensive positioning was pretty much horrible for the entire game with our defenders caught out of position against GC so many times... pretty much like we have in the past against this team. Do our players and coaches not reference previous performances?

bornadog
19-07-2021, 03:14 PM
Who would've thought players like Cordy & Crozier who aren't moving well would struggle against a mobile forward-line?? The overall defensive positioning was pretty much horrible for the entire game with our defenders caught out of position against GC so many times... pretty much like we have in the past against this team. Do our players and coaches not reference previous performances?

Based on players available, what is the solution.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 03:30 PM
In/ Libba, Lewy, Scott
Out/ Dunks, Crozier, Roarke
Medi-Sub: Lip

It will be a massive challenge for Marra if we end up playing Dees with their intercept markers.

The Underdog
19-07-2021, 03:31 PM

Yeah, but they wore masks when they sang the song, so it’s all cool.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but they wore masks when they sang the song, so it’s all cool.

Look I feel I am more okay with the measures than most (bad vs worse options) but this made me lol.

comrade
19-07-2021, 03:50 PM
There is no way more players won't miss due to all these exposure sites being re-classified retrospectively. Fingers crossed Bont is an UberEats guy.

Bulldog Joe
19-07-2021, 03:52 PM

Since he has tested negative he shouldn't be infectious, even though there is a 14 day period in which he could turn positive.

That is my understanding.

Mantis
19-07-2021, 04:45 PM
Based on players available, what is the solution.

Not play Crozier as his form at AFL level doesn't warrant it and only play Cordy on suitable types (slow lumbering types)... if there is no suitable match-ups he probably doesn't play.

Neither have the ability to play on anyone with some speed & agility.

comrade
19-07-2021, 04:46 PM
Not play Crozier as his form at AFL level doesn't warrant it and only play Cordy on suitable types (slow lumbering types)... if there is no suitable match-ups he probably doesn't play.

Neither have the ability to play on anyone with some speed & agility.

Who of the top 6 sides have a lumbering type that suits Cordy?

Mantis
19-07-2021, 04:49 PM
Who of the top 6 sides have a lumbering type that suits Cordy?

My feelings on Cordy and his position within the team are well known so I'll just go with there are none.

He's costing us goals on a weekly basis due to poor defensive abilities and offers us nothing with ball in hand.

jeemak
19-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Interesting to compare Zaine versus Young for this year.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6374&pid2=4030&fid1=S&fid2=S

Was surprised by Zaine's disposal efficiency, Lewis has lifted his from the lower sixties from memory (his career now sits at 66%). The big difference is time on ground, with Zaine pretty much playing the full game which would help immensely with our rotations.

Mantis
19-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Was surprised by Zaine's disposal efficiency, Lewis has lifted his from the lower sixties from memory (his career now sits at 66%). The big difference is time on ground, with Zaine pretty much playing the full game which would help immensely with our rotations.

Is there any hurt factor at all with Zaine's disposals?

And what would Lewis's TOG stats be if he played a like role to Zaine?

bornadog
19-07-2021, 05:46 PM
The biggest issue this week is who plays on Fritsch? He kicks a couple of goals every week and has kicked over 30 so far.

He is 188cm, but plays tall.

comrade
19-07-2021, 05:51 PM
The biggest issue this week is who plays on Fritsch? He kicks a couple of goals every week and has kicked over 30 so far.

He is 188cm, but plays tall.

Defensive match ups:

Keath - McDonald
Young - Brown
Cordy - Fritsch (yuck)
Duryea - Pickett
Williams - ANB
Dale - Spargo

Also have to factor in Jackson and Gawn when they push forward. Young must play.

Axe Man
19-07-2021, 05:55 PM
Officially playing Melbourne 7:25pm Saturday at the MCG.

jeemak
19-07-2021, 05:56 PM

I wouldn't say there's huge hurt factor but he occasionally bites off a bit, which is sometimes where it comes unstuck.

Not sure Lewi has the tank to play that many minutes and maintain his position in the team defence. If I could think of any reason why he's not being played in the role outside of his ball use then that would probably be it (whereas in different roles, others are preferred).

Ultimately I don't know, but without us being told directly I'm trying to figure out what it could be other than just pointing to coaching biases against Lewi.

comrade
19-07-2021, 06:06 PM

In the 1 game Lewis Young played exclusively as a defender (vs Brisbane in Ballarat) he had a TOG of 97%.

Ozza
19-07-2021, 06:07 PM
Defensive match ups:

Keath - McDonald
Young - Brown
Cordy - Fritsch (yuck)
Duryea - Pickett
Williams - ANB
Dale - Spargo

Also have to factor in Jackson and Gawn when they push forward. Young must play.

I think the two bolded would flip. ANB plays higher up, and we prefer Dale there. Spargo is closer to home, so Williams and Doc will both get him at stages.

bornadog
19-07-2021, 06:09 PM
Defensive match ups:

Keath - McDonald
Young - Brown
Cordy - Fritsch (yuck)
Duryea - Pickett
Williams - ANB
Dale - Spargo

I think he will be too good for Cordy

comrade
19-07-2021, 06:10 PM

So do I, hence the 'yuck' ;)

Ozza
19-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Come to think of it, I don't think it will be the match up. Young probably won't come in. Particularly if its wet. We'll back Keath and Cordy to take TMac and Brown, and the likes of Williams and maybe Doc will spend time on Fritsch. We still have Ed Richards to play in defence also.

I'm going to assume (hope) that Crozier gets left out.

comrade
19-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think it will be the match up. Young probably won't come in. Particularly if its wet. We'll back Keath and Cordy to take TMac and Brown, and the likes of Williams and maybe Doc will spend time on Fritsch. We still have Ed Richards to play in defence also.

I'm going to assume (hope) that Crozier gets left out.

Who takes Jackson or Gawn?

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 06:19 PM
Who takes Jackson or Gawn?

Daniel. He’s been practicing his jumping. He’s really getting some height now after the free advice.

jeemak
19-07-2021, 06:20 PM
In the 1 game Lewis Young played exclusively as a defender (vs Brisbane in Ballarat) he had a TOG of 97%.

I didn't go to the game, though didn't he play the same role against GCS the following week?

jeemak
19-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Daniel. He’s been practicing his jumping. He’s really getting some height now after the free advice.

It was complete negligence on the club's behalf not sending him to jumping classes.

comrade
19-07-2021, 06:24 PM
I didn't go to the game, though didn't he play the same role against GCS the following week?

No, he was thrown into the ruck and forward after half time (had more hitouts than English).

comrade
19-07-2021, 06:33 PM
Hawks went ultra tall on the weekend: McEvoy, Reeves, Hartigan, Frost, DGB, O'Brien, Koschitzke, Lewis and Jeka. Subsequently, the ball got brought to ground and their mids and smaller forwards had very productive nights.

We regularly get murdered in contested marks (and marking in general the past month). We need MORE height, imo.

Young has to play.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 06:35 PM
It was complete negligence on the club's behalf not sending him to jumping classes.

Yep. All the commentators out there were calling out our non-improvement of our set shot kicking. But only one sage saw the real issue that our club wasn’t improving. Now look at Caleb.

And we kicked 14.6 on the weekend.

It’s all coming up Millhouse.

Happy Days
19-07-2021, 06:39 PM
Honestly the best way to go about this is to treat Ben Brown with the respect he deserves (none) and play a small defender on him. No one can stop when the ball gets put lace out to him so he can do that one thing he does (drop the mark and get paid a free kick because it looks so unco that the umpire thinks he couldn’t have possibly done it without being impeded), but we absolutely can make them hurt when the ball hits the ground.

Will allow us to play tighter and with more support on the actual threats.

Scraggers
19-07-2021, 06:49 PM
The thread title and original post has now been updated to reflect the change in the fixture :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
19-07-2021, 07:17 PM
We had a great win in Perth but ever since have looked cooked

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 07:32 PM
We had a great win in Perth but ever since have looked cooked

I agree, however our opponents aren't looking great as well.

- Lions lost two in a row to sides outside of the 8
- Dees just drew with the Hawks
- Port lose to anyone in the 8
- Cats on a 3 game winning streak and looking really good but they got smashed before that
- Swans looked brilliant in last 3 but lost 2 more that

All looking a bit 3-2ish over the last 5 kind of form. Our game Sat Night will define how we are going at the moment.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 07:37 PM
I guess our opponent changes this up a bit.

Wood might be okay to play. I would definitely consider if the return isn't conditional to reduced TOG. Yeah a risk he might break down, but if it's just how his body is now, I would rather that risk than Crozier/Cordy.

In/ Woody, Lewy, Libba, Scott
Out/ Crozier, Zaine, Dunks, Roarke

I know we won't drop Zaine but yeah.

GVGjr
19-07-2021, 07:49 PM
Defensive match ups:

Keath - McDonald
Young - Brown
Cordy - Fritsch (yuck)
Duryea - Pickett
Williams - ANB
Dale - Spargo

Williams has to take Fritsch doesn't he?

comrade
19-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Williams has to take Fritsch doesn't he?

I'm sure they'll cross paths. What do you think the ideal match ups are, including Gawn/Jackson resting forward?

GVGjr
19-07-2021, 08:10 PM
I'm sure they'll cross paths. What do you think the ideal match ups are, including Gawn/Jackson resting forward?

I had a look at the replay on the way the Hawks played Melbourne and I'm almost of the belief we need to go into the game with a very small forward line which would mean sending Naughton to the back line especially if there is a high chance of rain.

We should kick the ball low into the forward line in nearly every entry creating ground level contests negating May, Lever and Petty's strength of taking marks.

We won't do it mind you but before the finals I'd love to seem them tested like that.

FWIW, I'd consider Naughton and Keath minding the resting ruckman.

Jeanette54
19-07-2021, 08:10 PM
I am not sure what the current stats are, but up to (I think) Round 14 we had the meanest defense in the comp. Yep that defense included Crozier, Cordy and Gardner, all of whom seem to be constantly pilloried on this site. Maybe something has changed since those games. Perhaps its the backline, or more likely its the way the ball repeatedly comes so easily out of our forward 50, and rapidly transfers up the ground without pressure on the ball carriers.

There is certainly no lack of F50 entries in recent games, but it just doesn't seem to stay there, or get scored from.

Libba at the coalface will also restrict the oppositions first use clearance from stoppages as well.

KT31
19-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Rumour floating around that English was on a plane to WA this morning, not sure I give it any credence though as WA have locked their borders to us.

comrade
19-07-2021, 08:19 PM
I had a look at the replay on the way the Hawks played Melbourne and I'm almost of the belief we need to go into the game with a very small forward line which would mean sending Naughton to the back line especially if there is a high chance of rain.

We should kick the ball low into the forward line in nearly every entry creating ground level contests negating May, Lever and Petty's strength of taking marks.

We won't do it mind you but before the finals I'd love to seem them tested like that.

Hawks had Lewis, Jeka and Koschitske forward, and also had a ruck float there too. They went ultra tall up forward to ensure the ball would come to ground.

Rocco Jones
19-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Marra will be fascinating. Dees really feast on tall forwards who can't contest/bring it to ground. Bruce and Marra (because he is developing) could really hurt us. The flipside is if they are on and we deliver it really well, they can be very dangerous. Bruce with his ability to take chances/contested marks and Marra's freakish abilities.

Watching the Hawks, they really displayed how even scrappy/miskicks/ground balls are better than long bombs. Don't get me wrong, not as easy as this as if it was, teams would kick it along the ground. But lowering the eyes, taking it on etc are just huge. Actually would love it to bucket down to gives us the element of dropped marks.

bornadog
19-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Rumour floating around that English was on a plane to WA this morning, not sure I give it any credence though as WA have locked their borders to us.

Where was that rumour from?

angelopetraglia
19-07-2021, 08:40 PM
Marra will be fascinating. Dees really feast on tall forwards who can't contest/bring it to ground. Bruce and Marra (because he is developing) could really hurt us. The flipside is if they are on and we deliver it really well, they can be very dangerous. Bruce with his ability to take chances/contested marks and Marra's freakish abilities.

Watching the Hawks, they really displayed how even scrappy/miskicks/ground balls are better than long bombs. Don't get me wrong, not as easy as this as if it was, teams would kick it along the ground. But lowering the eyes, taking it on etc are just huge. Actually would love it to bucket down to gives us the element of dropped marks.

Long term forecast is 90% chance of rain and 5-10mm.

josie
19-07-2021, 08:50 PM
What about tagging either Oliver or Petracca? Easy to say and hard to do as both elusive, strong and quick. If one or both get off the leash I think we will struggle. Really like idea of GvGjr low (maybe even scrubber) balls into F50 to stop Lever and May having a field day. Or run it into F50. Even better Marra kicking goals from 50m arc-now that I’d like to see.

comrade
19-07-2021, 08:52 PM
What about tagging either Oliver or Petracca? Easy to say and hard to do as both elusive, strong and quick. If one or both get off the leash I think we will struggle. Really like idea of GvGjr low (maybe even scrubber) balls into F50 to stop Lever and May having a field day. Or run it into F50. Even better Marra kicking goals from 50m arc-now that I’d like to see.

Having a natural goal kicker than can slot them from anywhere is definitely a welcome addition to our forward line!

bulldogtragic
19-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Having a natural goal kicker than can slot them from anywhere is definitely a welcome addition to our forward line!

I just saw his second again on the weekend. He made contact at least 55m out and it cleared the fence over the goal umpire. So effortless to the eye, but easily over 60m. Some teams let the shallow entries hoping most long shots miss. If he can keep doing that, there’s no safe place inside 60m if you’re defending him or trying to.

comrade
19-07-2021, 09:06 PM
I just saw his second again on the weekend. He made contact at least 55m out and it cleared the fence over the goal umpire. So effortless to the eye, but easily over 60m. Some teams let the shallow entries hoping most long shots miss. If he can keep doing that, there’s no safe place inside 60m if you’re defending him or trying to.

It was a beautiful strike.

Danjul
19-07-2021, 09:09 PM
I am not sure what the current stats are, but up to (I think) Round 14 we had the meanest defense in the comp. Yep that defense included Crozier, Cordy and Gardner, all of whom seem to be constantly pilloried on this site. Maybe something has changed since those games.

Every game from 1 to 12 had either Martin or Sweet as ruck in the selected team. The number of possessions hovered around 15% higher than the recent games and the backline was under less pressure.

DOG GOD
19-07-2021, 09:20 PM

Sexton loves playing us. Had kicked bags of 3,4,6 a few times. We have had issues over the years with these mid sized fwds. Gunston and Bruest are similar types we tend to struggle with. Even a player like Fritsch. I remember a game at marvel in his first handful of games where he took 14 marks and kicked 3 goals. He will be one to watch this week.

DOG GOD
19-07-2021, 09:23 PM

Bevo doesn’t like tagging so I’m expecting both those guys to run riot Saturday night, and if he does put the tag in one of those later, it will be a half too late.

merantau
19-07-2021, 09:28 PM
I don't what to see Oliver running around doing what he likes from the opening bounce. He is there number one play maker and more damaging than Petraca. It would help greatly if a lot of work was put in to addressing the issue at its source - Gawn.

We need a big game from Tim English and whoever else takes on ruck duties. Lewis Young to come in.

FrediKanoute
19-07-2021, 09:53 PM

Would it have anything to do with the black armband?

chef
19-07-2021, 10:35 PM

Its on FB.

bornadog
19-07-2021, 11:39 PM
Its on FB.

So not true :D

KT31
20-07-2021, 12:24 AM

Sorry Bad, headed out for dinner and just got back.
Friend of mine passed it on from someone who he said works at the airport, also have seen it on FB.
Still not giving it much credence, although as mentioned he did kiss his armband during the previous game.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-07-2021, 08:29 AM
I know he hasn’t been knocking the door down at Footscray but do we consider Buku for Crozier. It would give us a bit more presents down back. We could then more Daniel back to defence then more Cordy to play as a defensive forward on one of the intersept markers. Play a small forward line under his feet to play the hard ball gets.

Mantis
20-07-2021, 09:07 AM
I am not sure what the current stats are, but up to (I think) Round 14 we had the meanest defense in the comp. Yep that defense included Crozier, Cordy and Gardner, all of whom seem to be constantly pilloried on this site. Maybe something has changed since those games. Perhaps its the backline, or more likely its the way the ball repeatedly comes so easily out of our forward 50, and rapidly transfers up the ground without pressure on the ball carriers.

It's pretty clear that we are allowing much more clean ball into our D50 than earlier in the season as our pressure up the field has eased off, and to a man (bar Keath) our defenders are battling to defeat their opponents consistently in one on one contests.

Hopefully we can ramp up the pressure (which is a taxing style of play) as our defensive system in current state looks shaky at best.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2021, 09:44 AM
It is some A grade bulls**t is what it is...
If it's truly a risk, then the entire Dogs and Gold Coast teams that took the field on the weekend should be stood down for quarantine as well.

Ok So I better understand the reasons why Dunkley is not allowed to play now, and I get it. It's all about the optics of the various state quarantine rules and state govts who are enforcing strict quarantine rules on regular citizens when they've been exposed to Tier 1 sites.
So it's less about how infectious Dunks may be than it is about making sure State Govts aren't looking like their giving footballers travel exemptions over other citizens. So, fair enough, through that lens I can understand it. It sucks, but I get it.

1eyedog
20-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Is Harmes a confirmed out for them does anyone know? Would be massive as didn't he blanket Libba our first time around?

I guess we'll find out when the list comes out today.

comrade
20-07-2021, 10:55 AM
Is Harmes a confirmed out for them does anyone know? Would be massive as didn't he blanket Libba our first time around?

I guess we'll find out when the list comes out today.

Was just an ear infection so you'd assume he'll play and clamp down on Libba again.

bornadog
20-07-2021, 10:56 AM
Sorry Bad, headed out for dinner and just got back.
Friend of mine passed it on from someone who he said works at the airport, also have seen it on FB.
Still not giving it much credence, although as mentioned he did kiss his armband during the previous game.
Thanks for that. Hopefully he plays this week.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2021, 11:17 AM
So do I, hence the 'yuck' ;)

I thought the yuck was about his face.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2021, 11:22 AM

Hawks also made sure there was one on one in their forward line too. Not letting Lever and May being one out at anytime.

jazzadogs
20-07-2021, 12:09 PM
Re: Dees defence, will they set up with May on Bruce, Petty on Naughton and try to orchestrate Lever on JUH? They would have a lot of confidence that Lever could not only beat/break even with JUH 1v1, but that he would be able to 'outsmart' him with his positioning and movement around the ground as well. It has the potential to be a dangerous matchup for us.

comrade
20-07-2021, 01:06 PM
Harmes isn't even listed on their injury list now so will definitely be available. Their lack of injuries to any key players is literally insane.

bornadog
20-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Harmes isn't even listed on their injury list now so will definitely be available. Their lack of injuries to any key players is literally insane.

Libba needs to do better.

MrMahatma
20-07-2021, 01:29 PM

Looking ahead, at least we’ll have a good feel for how they operate at full strength where as they’ll have lots of questions about our best set up in finals (assuming we get Adam, Wood, Martin and Dunks back for Sept).

BornInDroopSt'54
20-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Looking ahead, at least we’ll have a good feel for how they operate at full strength where as they’ll have lots of questions about our best set up in finals (assuming we get Adam, Wood, Martin and Dunks back for Sept).
We are the underdogs. It is a free learning session for us so we can try a few things out.
Reconnaissance mission for us.
They with a healthy list us with an unsettled list with players to return before finals.

MrMahatma
20-07-2021, 01:45 PM
We are the underdogs. It is a free learning session for us so we can try a few things out.
Reconnaissance mission for us.
They with a healthy list us with an unsettled list with players to return before finals.

I expect us to win though.

I mean, if we keep May and Lever accountable, and hit up leads rather than bomb, we win.

bornadog
20-07-2021, 05:56 PM
Possible ins/Outs from AFL.com.au

The Demons are hopeful that James Harmes will return, after battling an ear infection that kept him out of last week's draw with the Hawks. Aaron vandenBerg was his replacement and might have done enough to keep his spot in the side, having won 16 disposals. Tom Sparrow was an unused medical sub and might make way within the 23. Nathan Jones should be fit following a calf injury, but will probably make his way back through the VFL, while Harrison Petty is likely to be declared available after feeling his hamstring last Saturday night.

R18 medical sub: Tom Sparrow (unused)

Verdict: Harmes to return to the team, with Sparrow exiting the squad. – Riley Beveridge

The Bulldogs will lose Josh Dunkley as he serves his mandatory quarantine for visiting a Tier 1 COVID-19 exposure site, but should regain Tom Liberatore from soreness as a handy replacement. Easton Wood could also be considered as he moves closer to a return from his ankle injury. Mitch Hannan and last week's unused medical substitute Anthony Scott could also be a chance, as will Lewis Young as the Dogs prepare to take on Melbourne in a top-of-the-ladder clash.

R18 medical sub: Anthony Scott (unused)

Verdict: Liberatore in for Dunkley. – Callum Twomey

Jeanette54
20-07-2021, 09:10 PM
According to "On The Couch" keeping Christiaan Salem quiet, or under pressure is the key to beating Melbourne. May and Lever are the bulwarks of the defense, but Salem is the springboard of their attacking ball movement.

Is it possible that Cody Weightman could play a defensive role on Salem ? Or maybe Riley Garcia ?

merantau
20-07-2021, 09:28 PM
I expect us to be UP for this game. There are no excuses for anything less than a full on, swarming effort such as Hawthorn applied. We have the troops to get the job done. Let's take our chances from the off - set shots need to be converted. And please, let's be really switched on at centre bounces and in red time.

I'm not sure if stats are kept on red time goals but we certainly seem to give them up with alarming regularity.

Another thing that should be front and centre is a preparedness to be ready for any rough stuff that is meted out to anyone, particularly JUH. Let's not go in there without having thought about this. We have been caught flat-footed in the past against Melbourne and I NEVER WANT TO SEE THAT HAPPEN AGAIN!

The bulldog tragician
20-07-2021, 09:49 PM
According to "On The Couch" keeping Christiaan Salem quiet, or under pressure is the key to beating Melbourne. May and Lever are the bulwarks of the defense, but Salem is the springboard of their attacking ball movement.

Is it possible that Cody Weightman could play a defensive role on Salem ? Or maybe Riley Garcia ?
I think JJ had the role last time and Salem did relatively little.

If we are at our best we have a couple of springboards for ball movement that THEY should be worried about - the Baileys, and (to a lesser extent) Ed.

1eyedog
20-07-2021, 11:00 PM

Yeah that happened last time and I didn't like it so much.

Mantis
21-07-2021, 09:41 AM
In: Liberatore, Young
Out: Dunkley, Crozier, Scott

Rocco Jones
21-07-2021, 10:24 AM
In: Liberatore, Young
Out: Dunkley, Crozier, Scott

Is this accepting Zaine won’t be dropped?

mjp
21-07-2021, 10:34 AM

As it turned out, even if you lock away Salem the other two (May and Lever) can still kill you if you keep kicking it in their general direction.

mjp
21-07-2021, 10:34 AM

Do you think he will be dropped?

Axe Man
21-07-2021, 10:36 AM

If we are at our best we have a couple of springboards for ball movement that THEY should be worried about - the Baileys, and (to a lesser extent) Ed.

Yep, as the stat you shared in another thread showed we are pretty good at defending the opposition's ball movement, but our own ball movement has dropped well away.

Mantis
21-07-2021, 10:36 AM

Yep... we're stuck with him unfortunately.

Hopefully he plays on Brown and it's a nil all draw.

1eyedog
21-07-2021, 11:24 AM
I've been really down about this pointless Melbourne swap around. F%#% their lack of injuries are annoying me, and then we lose Dunk to something like this.

It's really pissed me off.

I'd drop Cordy and bring Wood straight in and play him on Fritsch. At least Wood will make it to the contest. Fritta will eat Cordy alive it won't be pretty.

We have absolutely no-one who can run with Trac or Oliver which is a big concern. The two most likely candidates are on the injury list.

Mantis
21-07-2021, 11:45 AM
I've been really down about this pointless Melbourne swap around. F%#% their lack of injuries are annoying me, and then we lose Dunk to something like this.

It's really pissed me off.

Yep, we are at a much bigger disadvantage than Melb if the original fixture stood... understand the predicament the AFL are in, but we've been shafted here.

I'd drop Cordy and bring Wood straight in and play him on Fritsch. At least Wood will make it to the contest. Fritta will eat Cordy alive it won't be pretty.

Given Melbourne's height we probably need Cordy regardless of his match-up. Cordy played on Fritsch last time and did just ok, gave away a critical free-kick and goal when we were trying to mount a challenge which was dumb.

The flow on effect of Cordy playing small allowed Weideman to kick a couple of important goals in the 3rd when on a smaller opponent.

We have absolutely no-one who can run with Trac or Oliver which is a big concern. The two most likely candidates are on the injury list.

Bont, Macrae & Smith as well as being dangerous attacking options for us, need to be accountable for their opponents.

Rocco Jones
22-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Do you think he will be dropped?

No. I was asking as I know Mantis isn't a fan of his. I do not want him in the side but perhaps not as strongly as some.

Rocco Jones
22-07-2021, 05:08 PM
With VDM and Wood both returning to full training, in our best 22 and no VFL, it'll be interesting to see what we do. If we think they do not need to have TOG managed, I think at least one in.

Axe Man
22-07-2021, 05:18 PM
With VDM and Wood both returning to full training, in our best 22 and no VFL, it'll be interesting to see what we do. If we think they do not need to have TOG managed, I think at least one in.

It felt like Vandermeer's form had tailed off before he got injured, not sure he is a walkup start.

Bulldog Joe
22-07-2021, 05:18 PM

I would think Wood as a good option to be sub.
Experienced head to call on if needed, but otherwise just load his training.

VDM has been out for ages and I would think his inexperience probably holds him back for such an important game.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 05:44 PM
I reckon Wood will come straight in. He's a seasoned, hard bodied player with a fantastic fitness base. If he can run pain free on that ankle he should start.

I think hes a viable option for Fritsch and certainly a better one than Cordy.

DOG GOD
22-07-2021, 05:55 PM
I reckon Wood will come straight in. He's a seasoned, hard bodied player with a fantastic fitness base. If he can run pain free on that ankle he should start.

I think hes a viable option for Fritsch and certainly a better one than Cordy.

God I will die if I see Cordy standing Fritsch

Rocco Jones
22-07-2021, 06:23 PM
It felt like Vandermeer's form had tailed off before he got injured, not sure he is a walkup start.

I guess hard to tell how much of it was about the injury which was an issue before he had to miss games.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 06:30 PM
I guess hard to tell how much of it was about the injury which was an issue before he had to miss games.

Yes I think I remember Bevo saying he was sore and that aligned with his form slump. He relies so much on that burst speed if it's not in the locker he's devoid of one of his main points of difference.

azabob
22-07-2021, 07:23 PM
ROUND 19 TEAM

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 24 July, 7.25pm AEST
MCG

B: Ed Richards, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale
C: Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel
HF: Riley Garcia, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Bruce, Lachie Hunter
R: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Josh Schache, Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith, Jason Johannisen
Emer: Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier, Anthony Scott, Lachie McNeil

In: Josh Schache, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Hannan
Out: Josh Dunkley (quarantine), Anthony Scott (medi-sub), Hayden Crozier, Lachie McNeil

azabob
22-07-2021, 07:24 PM
Schache to play back?

angelopetraglia
22-07-2021, 07:27 PM
Shaq. Interesting.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 07:27 PM
ROUND 19 TEAM

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 24 July, 7.25pm AEST
MCG

B: Ed Richards, Alex Keath, Bailey Williams
HB: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale
C: Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel
HF: Riley Garcia, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Josh Bruce, Lachie Hunter
R: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Marcus Bontempelli
Int: Josh Schache, Mitch Hannan, Roarke Smith, Jason Johannisen
Emer: Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier, Anthony Scott, Lachie McNeil

In: Josh Schache, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Hannan
Out: Josh Dunkley (quarantine), Anthony Scott (medi-sub), Hayden Crozier, Lachie McNeil

This should be fun.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Hannan showed more doing zero than McNeil I assume.

I kind of get it match up wise. Maybe a Petty has to take him, then you've got our talls so Lever maybe folds onto one.

comrade
22-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Are we really going to see Schache in defence in a crunch 1 v 2 battle? If so, I AM HERE FOR IT!

Bumper Bulldogs
22-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Schache to play back?

Shaq will play Ruck. Push around the throw ins but will be huge around the ground

Scraggers
22-07-2021, 07:31 PM
Shaq. Interesting.

Exactly what I said :)

comrade
22-07-2021, 07:32 PM
Hawks went ultra tall last week, looks like we're doing something similar.

That is a weird looking team though lol.

Happy Days
22-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Urgh WHY.

Mofra
22-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Bevo you magnificant, crazy bastard.
I love it. Going tall in the wet. What's the bet we lower our eyes and spend the whole time playing through Hannan and Weightman on the lead?

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Shaq will play Ruck. Push around the throw ins but will be huge around the ground

Maybe the conditions? Might slow it down to his tempo. I really like Schache wish he could grab his chance. This is your time Shaq attack.

comrade
22-07-2021, 07:35 PM
https://i.ibb.co/XsjVqBr/E64wt2-SVo-Ag-F9g.png (https://imgbb.com/)

jazzadogs
22-07-2021, 07:40 PM
It's happening. The reinvention of Josh Schache. After ??one half?? of playing defence at VFL level.

I'm excited to either love it or rabidly hate it. There will be no in between.

Vred
22-07-2021, 07:41 PM
I know I haven’t posted in a couple of weeks but even I’ve had to drop what I’m doing IRL to go

“what the *!*!*!*!ing *!*!*!*!?”

seriously. what?

ratsmac
22-07-2021, 07:41 PM
Schache in the wet doesn't fill me with confidence. Flash backs of last year against Carlton come to mind. Oh well it's his chance to redeem himself I suppose. I'd prefer McNeil over Hannan in wet conditions also

ReLoad
22-07-2021, 07:48 PM
Shaq yes!
Hanna No!

I guess you win some and you loose some.

I just hope they give shaq a few weeks, if not I’ll spew up……

comrade
22-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Lewis Young whatsapp'ing his manager 'wtf' as we speak.

jazzadogs
22-07-2021, 07:54 PM
Compared to our last game against the Dees....

In: Schache, Hannan, Richards, Jamarra
Out: Sweet, Crozier, Lipinski, Mcneill

comrade
22-07-2021, 07:56 PM
Compared to our last game against the Dees....

In: Schache, Hannan, Richards, Jamarra
Out: Sweet, Crozier, Lipinski, Mcneill

It's kind of an upgrade, I guess?

We'll also hopefully have Garcia on the field all game instead of just the first 5 minutes, replacing Butler, which is a win for us.

Mofra
22-07-2021, 07:59 PM
It's kind of an upgrade, I guess?

We'll also hopefully have Garcia on the field all game instead of just the first 5 minutes, replacing Butler, which is a win for us.
Huge win. Love Garcia.

comrade
22-07-2021, 08:01 PM
Huge win. Love Garcia.

Yeah, I reckon he's going to cause some carnage on Saturday night. Low and hard.

Mantis
22-07-2021, 08:03 PM
Lewis Young whatsapp'ing his manager 'wtf' as we speak.

He has every right to… I know there’s question marks over Lewis, but the treatment he cops isn’t shared amongst his peers.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 08:05 PM
He has every right to… I know there’s question marks over Lewis, but the treatment he cops isn’t shared amongst his peers.

I'm happy for him to explore his options.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2021, 08:06 PM

Can you remember anyone recently coping like this? If this went on in a normal workplace the manager would have a bullying claim coming their way from H.R.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2021, 08:09 PM
If I smoked drugs all day to 6.30pm. I wouldn’t have even got close to this.

I also still don’t understand Hannan and his ability to stay in the team or get into the team with no VFL game. I don’t get it.

Finally, a real KPD in the side. Get em Josh.

Mantis
22-07-2021, 08:13 PM
I'm happy for him to explore his options.

Like he has a choice?

Given the way he’s seen by the MC he has no option than to head to a club where he might get a look in.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2021, 08:18 PM
Like he has a choice?

Given the way he’s seen by the MC he has no option than to head to a club where he might get a look in.

LY: So do you want me in to take a tall, maybe Brown.
MC: I wouldn’t defend him, not even with your first.

Has he told the club he’s going and we’ve decided to work defence without him since he’s going? That’s the best I can guess.

comrade
22-07-2021, 08:22 PM
There's also the chance of a late out. Maybe Bruce?

DOG GOD
22-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Hannan ? Jesus Christ.
Schache ?
Are we tanking this ?

Can Lew Young officially walk out on the club without giving notice ? ;)

bornadog
22-07-2021, 08:34 PM
Can you remember anyone recently coping like this? If this went on in a normal workplace the manager would have a bullying claim coming their way from H.R.

Really? That is a bit far fetched?

How do you know what his KPIs are?

Mantis
22-07-2021, 08:37 PM

Given we’ve been pretty good at calling for the removal of several underperforming players this year it seems strange most are bemused when Lewis has been dropped.

To me it seems his KPI’s are completely different to all other players in the team which I can’t imagine is correct.

bornadog
22-07-2021, 08:43 PM
Given we’ve been pretty good at calling for the removal of several underperforming players this year it seems strange most are bemused when Lewis has been dropped.

To me it seems his KPI’s are completely different to all other players in the team which I can’t imagine is correct.

But workplace bullying?

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 08:57 PM

I don't subscribe to that at all. He's had plenty of chances, he's a fringe player and he's in and out of the side because he hasn't cemented his spot.

Not sure other teams will be flooding the Whitten Oval switchboard trying to lure him away.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 08:59 PM
It's happening. The reinvention of Josh Schache. After ??one half?? of playing defence at VFL level.

I'm excited to either love it or rabidly hate it. There will be no in between.

Could this be the start of something beautiful?

comrade
22-07-2021, 08:59 PM
Where do we think Schache actually lines up on Saturday? Do we go extra tall up forward to try and occupy their defenders or has he come in to replace Crozier?

Either way, it's pretty *!*!*!*!ing bold and bizarre. Actually looking forward to the game even more now, will either be a masterstroke or a car crash.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Where do we think Schache actually lines up on Saturday? Do we go extra tall up forward to try and occupy their defenders or has he come in to replace Crozier?

Either way, it's pretty *!*!*!*!ing bold and bizarre. Actually looking forward to the game even more now, will either be a masterstroke or a car crash.

Yeah he's forward. No way he's playing back in the ones. We are trying to take Lever out of the game.

kruder
22-07-2021, 09:02 PM
Bevo is very humerous I love him more than ever :D

Love to see Schache on Ben Brown perfect match up for him while Keath becomes more dangerous. If Josh plays forward I could see him back in the car at half time considering the conditions on the horizon.

McNeil isn't ready for AFL let's be honest, come on Hannan its time.

I cant wait to get back Treloar, Dunkley, Martin and VDM. I think we might slip to third by the end of it but can see us playing our best come finals time. I think we can be the best side in it the one thing that worries me its playing Geelong at GMHBA first final( fingers crossed the AFL stay with their current stance on this).

comrade
22-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Yeah he's forward. No way he's playing back in the ones. We are trying to take Lever out of the game.

So what are the D50 match ups?

Something like?

Keath - McDonald
Cordy - Brown
Williams - Fritsch
Duryea - Pickett
Dale - ANB
Richards - Spago

When Jackson/Gawn push forward, we're going to be stretched.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Tim will cover Gawn forward ok I reckon so he needs to play on one of McDonald or Brown. Looks like Cordy on Fritsch. So CHB?

MrMahatma
22-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Don’t get the Hannan inclusion.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 09:09 PM
We're playing three blokes over 195cm who can all clunk it. Lever already is accountable.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2021, 09:11 PM

Then close woof, I guess. If we all don’t know the kpis then we can never give an opinion if that’s the test. The metric is, Bevo said we are going with three talls in defence and then proceeded to drop Young after playing him as a ruck, defender and forward in a game. While dominating VFL for the most part.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 09:11 PM
The less Lewy plays the better he gets.

Are there any running stats that we can use for his one game as a defender vs. Brisbane to see how they compare to Zaine's?

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 09:16 PM

Something like?

Keath - McDonald
Cordy - Brown
Williams - Fritsch
Duryea - Pickett
Dale - ANB
Richards - Spago

Sounds about right. Jackson is a big worry he's a serious talent.

Gawn usually heads back I'm not worried about him forward half.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 09:17 PM
The less Lewy plays the better he gets.

Are there any running stats that we can use for his one game as a defender vs. Brisbane to see how they compare to Zaine's?

Someone must have them.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 09:18 PM
Someone must have them.

I'd genuinely love to get my hands on something because his continued exclusion is driving us all mad for different reasons.

Dry Rot
22-07-2021, 09:18 PM
If I smoked drugs all day to 6.30pm. .

I did, and this team makes less sense than the four foot long hairy spiders on my ceiling.

SquirrelGrip
22-07-2021, 09:21 PM

Remember Schache in the wet in this game?

https://youtu.be/bWhhpzNhDMc

josie
22-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Off-topic so my apologies……does anyone know if our game is going to be in ch 7 or only kayo & Foxtel? Just looked at Freeview.com.au and if correct it’s not in 7. I know the Olympics are on but seems weird?

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 09:24 PM
Remember Schache in the wet in this game?

https://youtu.be/bWhhpzNhDMc

He's basically got gills.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Off-topic so my apologies……does anyone know if our game is going to be in ch 7 or only kayo & Foxtel? Just looked at Freeview.com.au and if correct it’s not in 7. I know the Olympics are on but seems weird?

The AFL website says Fox Footy and Kayo. It's only 1 v 2 why would it be free to air? :cool:

jeemak
22-07-2021, 09:26 PM

Apparently on 7Mate J.

Happy Days
22-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Schache is good in the wet he's just bad generally. Hope this clears it up.

Play Caleb Daniel on Brown.

DOG GOD
22-07-2021, 09:49 PM
Play Caleb Daniel on Brown.

Knowing our defence, he will probably end up on him one out in the goalsquare, while Cordy is off scratching his nuts somewhere 30 metres away.

Mantis
22-07-2021, 09:55 PM
I don't subscribe to that at all. He's had plenty of chances, he's a fringe player and he's in and out of the side because he hasn't cemented his spot.

Not sure other teams will be flooding the Whitten Oval switchboard trying to lure him away.

In his last game against Sydney he started on defence on Heeney… like why Heeney? He then went into the ruck and once there was a trend in the game and found our defence was doing ok and our tall forwards were ineffective he went forward and competed ok.

After this game when he was by no means our worst he was dumped from the team whilst Zaine remains in a key defensive post even though he is make defensive errors week on week.

I know Lewis is a fringe player, but I simply don’t get why he isn’t given 2 or 3 games in defence to see if he can nail down a spot like Cordy and Gardner have had.

DOG GOD
22-07-2021, 09:59 PM
In his last game against Sydney he started on defence on Heeney… like why Heeney? He then went into the ruck and once there was a trend in the game and found our defence was doing ok and our tall forwards were ineffective he went forward and competed ok.

After this game when he was by no means our worst he was dumped from the team whilst Zaine remains in a key defensive post even though he is make defensive errors week on week.

I know Lewis is a fringe player, but I simply don’t get why he isn’t given 2 or 3 games in defence to see if he can nail down a spot like Cordy and Gardner have had.

The MC obviously don’t like him, and don’t trust him.
I feel for him, and I hope he finds another club to utilise what he can offer.

westbulldog
22-07-2021, 10:21 PM
Hannan had better have a very good game, I hope he does but his selection is puzzling.

G-Mo77
22-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Haha this is diabolical. We've already fallen 1.5 games behind the Dee's.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 10:51 PM

Something like?

Keath - McDonald
Cordy - Brown
Williams - Fritsch
Duryea - Pickett
Dale - ANB
Richards - Spago

Yuck. That's fully sacrificing Williams' game because he will need to play 100% lockdown on Fritsch. I'd prefer to sacrifice Schache at CHB on McDonald and have more flexibility with Horse.

We know Keath will play deep so that leaves Cordy on Fritsch. Someone said he did OK last time on him so it's likely he'll get first crack.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 10:53 PM

I like Cordy he puts his body on the line. Gardner too.

Agree Young needs to nail a spot. I thought he was ok in the ruck I watched him closely at the game and was impressed with his body position.

comrade
22-07-2021, 10:56 PM
Yuck. That's fully sacrificing Williams' game because he will need to play 100% lockdown on Fritsch. I'd prefer to sacrifice Schache at CHB on McDonald and have more flexibility with Horse.

We know Keath will play deep so that leaves Cordy on Fritsch. Someone said he did OK last time on him so it's likely he'll get first crack.

Fritsch kicked 3, had 10 marks last time and was a constant threat. Cordy got hosed, Fritsch is way too slippery for him.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 11:00 PM
Fritsch kicked 3, had 10 marks last time and was a constant threat. Cordy got hosed, Fritsch is way too slippery for him.

He's a constant threat most weeks. I'm not sure Bailey is the answer but we'll see. Wood would have been a great match up for him. Obviously needs to keep building.

azabob
22-07-2021, 11:02 PM
Honestly its irrelevant if Young plays or Schache plays - that selection isn’t changing the result of the game.

This game will be won in the midfield, how good our forward half connection is, coupled with team defence.

1eyedog
22-07-2021, 11:04 PM
Honestly its irrelevant if Young plays or Schache plays - that selection isn’t changing the result of the game.

This game will be won in the midfield, how good our forward half connection is, coupled with team defence.

Yeah I'd love to bring the heat against them. They have great key backs but we also have a forward line that could trouble them.

I'm not sold on their forward line outside of Fritsch. It will be won in the middle again.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-07-2021, 11:14 PM
I like Cordy he puts his body on the line. Gardner too.

Agree Young needs to nail a spot. I thought he was ok in the ruck I watched him closely at the game and was impressed with his body position.

Surely at AFL level you need to bring more to the table than just effort/putting your body on the line. As a defender you need to be able to win contests and at the very worst halve more than you lose but Zaine routinely is out of position, trailing behind or outmarked. He's literally a forwards dream in that you can either beat him on the lead or beat him 1-v-1 depending on your strength as a forward.

Anyway, this 22 is laughable but it has me more interested in the game than I otherwise was. I'd love to know what was discussed at MC; you'd be forgiven for thinking we're using this as an experimental game and to be honest, I don't hate it.

Grantysghost
22-07-2021, 11:33 PM
Surely at AFL level you need to bring more to the table than just effort/putting your body on the line. As a defender you need to be able to win contests and at the very worst halve more than you lose but Zaine routinely is out of position, trailing behind or outmarked. He's literally a forwards dream in that you can either beat him on the lead or beat him 1-v-1 depending on your strength as a forward.

Anyway, this 22 is laughable but it has me more interested in the game than I otherwise was. I'd love to know what was discussed at MC; you'd be forgiven for thinking we're using this as an experimental game and to be honest, I don't hate it.

Agree you need more, I like that part of Zaine's game. He also is an A grade tackler, he maybe changed the course of the GF doing that.

But he has limitations as you've highlighted.

Personally if I was choosing a team I'd be picking guys like Zaine who leave it all out there every day. I'm surprised there's so much negativity towards him on here he's pretty fkn Bulldog.

Doc26
23-07-2021, 12:53 AM
I may be the outlier here but I don’t mind this week’s team with Schache’s inclusion. Have been keen to see him get an opportunity to hold his own as a KPD, whether against Brown, Jackson or McDonald this week.

dog town
23-07-2021, 05:50 AM
The Schache selection seems like a cover all scenarios pick. Unsure of exactly how they line up tall forwards so it is cover for that and unsure whether we will need to ensure we have 3 talls of our own forward (Schache could stop Bruce rucking as relief).

Both Schache and Hannan makes us a bit big for my liking. I was actually already thinking it with Jamarra for this week but obviously hoping I’m wrong. Their tall forwards don’t scare me although I concede they are exactly the types we are likely to concede against. I would have been comfortable going in smaller against them.

Much of all the conjecture on selection is irrelevant. This game will likely be won or lost around the ball, we need to get territory and start winning some ball back on turnover. Time to turn up the effort levels a bit from previous weeks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-07-2021, 08:06 AM
The Schache selection seems like a cover all scenarios pick. Unsure of exactly how they line up tall forwards so it is cover for that and unsure whether we will need to ensure we have 3 talls of our own forward (Schache could stop Bruce rucking as relief).

Both Schache and Hannan makes us a bit big for my liking. I was actually already thinking it with Jamarra for this week but obviously hoping I’m wrong. Their tall forwards don’t scare me although I concede they are exactly the types we are likely to concede against. I would have been comfortable going in smaller against them.

Much of all the conjecture on selection is irrelevant. This game will likely be won or lost around the ball, we need to get territory and start winning some ball back on turnover. Time to turn up the effort levels a bit from previous weeks.

I might add, that if Melbourne are able to move the ball out of their defense through to their forward line, like Sydney did, we'll also be in trouble.

Go_Dogs
23-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Lack of continuity in our line up remains a concern more broadly.

Looking forward to this one - big test.

comrade
23-07-2021, 08:13 AM
Lack of continuity in our line up remains a concern more broadly.

Looking forward to this one - big test.

Yeah, we’re 5 games from finals and there feels like 4-5 spots up for grabs. Other top 4 sides have 1-2.

Mantis
23-07-2021, 08:30 AM
Agree you need more, I like that part of Zaine's game. He also is an A grade tackler, he maybe changed the course of the GF doing that.

But he has limitations as you've highlighted.

Personally if I was choosing a team I'd be picking guys like Zaine who leave it all out there every day. I'm surprised there's so much negativity towards him on here he's pretty fkn Bulldog.

Whilst it's all good and well to leave it on the line with effort, and its a trait all players should have... and most do, but at some point your ability to play your role becomes vitally important too. At present Zaine is caught in no mans land on who he can play on due to his physical limitations. He isn't big enough to play on the monsters (see Tom Lynch) and also struggles on the quicker medium sized players (see efforts against the likes of Fritsch, Hayward, Zurhaar and Corbett). Maybe I'm expecting him to 1/2 more contests than the norm, but he seems to be really struggling to effect contests other defenders can and it's costing us goals... and in tight games maybe games.

But hey he gets an A+ for spitting the dummy after he gets out-marked and either falling awkwardly on his opponent or doing other dumb shit like knocking the ball away.... I think he's pretty close to cost us 50m penalties with his antics.

Bulldog4life
23-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Don’t get the Hannan inclusion.

The MC might be expecting some tricks against his old side.

Bulldog4life
23-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Yeah, we’re 5 games from finals and there feels like 4-5 spots up for grabs. Other top 4 sides have 1-2.

Dunks, Treloar & Wood take 3 of those spots. Let's keep the Dees guessing.

comrade
23-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Dunks, Treloar & Wood take 3 of those spots. Let's keep the Dees guessing.

If Gardner and Martin are fit, they're also in. Then you have Crozier, McNeil and Scott right on the cusp of the 22.

dog town
23-07-2021, 09:21 AM
Whilst it's all good and well to leave it on the line with effort, and its a trait all players should have... and most do, but at some point your ability to play your role becomes vitally important too. At present Zaine is caught in no mans land on who he can play on due to his physical limitations. He isn't big enough to play on the monsters (see Tom Lynch) and also struggles on the quicker medium sized players (see efforts against the likes of Fritsch, Hayward, Zurhaar and Corbett). Maybe I'm expecting him to 1/2 more contests than the norm, but he seems to be really struggling to effect contests other defenders can and it's costing us goals... and in tight games maybe games.

But hey he gets an A+ for spitting the dummy after he gets out-marked and either falling awkwardly on his opponent or doing other dumb shit like knocking the ball away.... I think he's pretty close to cost us 50m penalties with his antics. A good summation of his limitations. He is currently making Gardner look like Matty Scarlett in comparison. We would be much more balanced with Gardner as a stopping option.

The fact that we are even longing for Easton Wood as a stopper is an indicator that we really lack that diversity of options for different types. It isn’t just talls it is deep forwards in general.

Mantis
23-07-2021, 09:31 AM
A good summation of his limitations. He is currently making Gardner look like Matty Scarlett in comparison. We would be much more balanced with Gardner as a stopping option.

The fact that we are even longing for Easton Wood as a stopper is an indicator that we really lack that diversity of options for different types. It isn’t just talls it is deep forwards in general.

Gardner whilst not strong in the air (it's improving as he gets more confidence) has a better turn of foot compared to Zaine and is able to make ground when caught out of position.. Zaine is struggling in this area at present and when you factor in his limitations with ball in hand it's clear to see why many are frustrated.

In general we don't have lots on competent 1 on 1 defenders which is why when the pressure up field isn't great, as per the case over the past 3 weeks, we look easy to score against, but many of our defenders make up for it as attacking weapons which is something that Zaine doesn't offer.

1eyedog
23-07-2021, 09:35 AM

Like a magician. I wish he'd tried them in some of his past games so I could work out if they're actually any good or not.

angelopetraglia
23-07-2021, 10:00 AM
"Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely from the late morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Gusty winds and possible small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 40 km/h in the morning then tending northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h in the middle of the day."

Doesn't sound like a night to go in too tall either. Windy, rain, hail and thunderstorms!

The Doctor
23-07-2021, 10:09 AM
If Gardner and Martin are fit, they're also in. Then you have Crozier, McNeil and Scott right on the cusp of the 22.

I'd pick McNeil & Scott ahead of Hannan & Roarke.

Don't mind the Schache selection. Hope he grabs his chance.

Grantysghost
23-07-2021, 10:18 AM

But hey he gets an A+ for spitting the dummy after he gets out-marked and either falling awkwardly on his opponent or doing other dumb shit like knocking the ball away.... I think he's pretty close to cost us 50m penalties with his antics.

Agree with you here on Zaine's deficiencies. I'm aware of Cordy's limitations I've watched him closely over the years.

With him though I'm never left feeling he was beaten through lack of effort and putting him self in a position where he is knowingly going to get hurt for the benefit of our team.

I don't have that feeling about all players and it can't be the only measure of course but it's one I personally hold highly.

Plus he has a cracking left foot :cool:!

I think he's a good match up for Fritsch, he keeps up on the lead reasonably well, (hopefully those long arms can be used to affect) and physically has him covered size wise. Repeat efforts / leads I do expect him to get off the chain a few times but hope our mids and forwards can give the defence more cover than we have recently and we can force him into the pockets. Fritsch is a good player no one has really kept him quiet yet. He only needs a few chances.

bornadog
23-07-2021, 10:18 AM

I don't understand how he gets a spot. He has not been very effective since his first game for us.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2021, 11:10 AM
17 pages already. Must be a record for a MC thread for us.

bornadog
23-07-2021, 11:10 AM

and we still couldn't pick the team. :D

bulldogtragic
23-07-2021, 11:12 AM
and we still couldn't pick the team. :D

Not even close!! :D

Mantis
23-07-2021, 11:13 AM

There's a lot to unpack this week!

comrade
23-07-2021, 11:18 AM
This has been one of my all time favourite MC weeks.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2021, 11:22 AM
There's a lot to unpack this week!

Mitch Hannan preferred over Mitch Wallis. With VFL unlikely for a while, I wonder if we ever see Wallis again. Hannan not seems to be preferred by a wide margin.

comrade
23-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Mitch Hannan preferred over Mitch Wallis. With VFL unlikely for a while, I wonder if we ever see Wallis again. Hannan not seems to be preferred by a wide margin.

I think that's the end for Wallis in 2021 unless we cop some significant injuries to our mid/small forwards.

GVGjr
23-07-2021, 11:25 AM

There is a lady I work with that constantly reminds people that Rachels letter to Ross was 18 pages...FRONT AND BACK

We still have a way to go ;)

comrade
23-07-2021, 11:42 AM
There is a lady I work with that constantly reminds people that Rachels letter to Ross was 18 pages...FRONT AND BACK

We still have a way to go ;)

They were on a break.

Axe Man
23-07-2021, 11:49 AM
"Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely from the late morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Gusty winds and possible small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 40 km/h in the morning then tending northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h in the middle of the day."

Doesn't sound like a night to go in too tall either. Windy, rain, hail and thunderstorms!

Around game time there is a 30% chance of 0-0.2mm of rain, so it shouldn't be terrible conditions if correct. Still not ideal conditions for talls though.