PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 15, 2021 vs West Coast

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2021, 03:30 PM
This is the round 15, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against West Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2021, 06:46 PM
B

Bailey Smith back to form
Two wins at Perth in three weeks
Bonts goal. Defied physics.

A

Should’ve been another 100 point win
Goal kicking
Gardner’s Shoulder

EasternWest
27-06-2021, 06:51 PM
B

Ed Richards - probably the best game he's played.
Bontempelli - that goal tho
All our boys - determined effort

A
Ling and BT, just embarrassing.
Gardner's reward for his courage. Just piss.

whythelongface
27-06-2021, 07:02 PM
B

Coaching staff-getting our boys up for the game after such a hard and interrupted preparation
Bont - just an inspiring leader. You are the best.
Smith - back to your best. great work.
Richards - welcome back

A
Gardner’s injury
Nothing else

macca
27-06-2021, 07:08 PM
B:
Bonts: you are a champion
Naughton: a pleasure to watch him fly at the ball. His awesome.
B.Smith: 2 great running goals. Really broke them. His best game
Welcome back to Garcia and Richards. Richards took some really important marks. Garcia in critical parts of play
Real good team effort all around. Kept them to 6 goals.

A:
Gardner , just no luck with injuries. Get well soon
Umpring was terrible
Our goal kicking. Game would have been over by quarter time.

Mutz
27-06-2021, 07:19 PM
B:
Gardner , just no luck with injuries. Get well soon
Umpring was terrible
Our goal kicking. Game would have been over by quarter time.

Thought so too. Especially in the first half when we didn't get just reward for hard tackles and WCE just spilled it. It went against them too e.g. no infringement called for Daniel's spoil on Gaff.

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2021, 07:27 PM
B

Ed Richards - probably the best game he's played.
Bontempelli - that goal tho
All our boys - determined effort

A
Ling and BT, just embarrassing.
Gardner's reward for his courage. Just piss.

Message for BT.

You are a professionally calling the footy.
You have no excuse not to know what is going on with players and injury etc.

Comment at the end of the game
"Gardner has his other shoulder strapped. He has probably had some concerns with that as well"

BRIAN
In round 3 2021 (YES THIS YEAR) Ryan Gardner dislocated his left shoulder in the first 15 seconds. It required surgery and he didn't resume until round 12.

Is it really that difficult to know what you are doing.

westbulldog
27-06-2021, 07:55 PM
Bankers
Marcus Bontempelli, has become a great leader of the Club, a Brownlow beckons.
Bailey Smith, returned to form in a big way.
Our defence, works very effectively as a group, they each play their role.

Anchors
Gardner's injury.
Our win could have been admired by a packed house of 55k if not for the WA government's predeliction to shut up shop if a dolphin sneezes 100km offshore. Significant dislocation with virtually no notice, millions lost in the economy.
Westcoast, they gave up, rolled over and lost interest (because we obliterated them).

bornadog
27-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont goal in the last was unbelievable. Never looked like even getting the ball, let alone kicking a miracle goal
2. Weightman's smother in the first that resulted in a goal
3. Macrae's snap - beautiful

Anchors

1. Gardner's other shoulder, could be out for awhile - can't take a trick
2. Set shots, boy we missed some easy ones

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2021, 08:47 PM
Bankers

1. JJ. His best game of the year. Loved his defensive pressure.
2. Duryea he's so unheralded, but he's just become so reliable this year.
3. Tim English. Battled manfully in the ruck, more than held his own against NicNat.

Anchors
1. Umpiring today was awful. We won the free kick count, but they were so inconsistent.
2. Gardner's injury. Poor guy, he's really worked hard on his game and was having a very good game.

Ozza
27-06-2021, 09:21 PM
Bankers

- JJ (and everyone else...such as flea, Libba and others) who were desperate to smother the footy early on. Completely set the tone for the game that we weren't going to let West Coast have time and space.
- Bont - put his stamp on the game. He was there to win.
- A general 'bank' to the spirit of the group. A week of pretty hard lockdown where they were treated everywhere they were like they had the ebola virus....coming off a couple of weeks of uncertainty about 'what's next?'.....it was extraordinary to come out and win in such dominant fashion. 20 more scoring shots and just out-willed a more experienced outfit on their turf. It was as good as it gets in the circumstances.

Anchors:

- Poor ol' Gardy with his injury. Was such a brave contest from him.
- I try not to get bothered by the commentators, because it doesn't matter.....but today was a 'PB' for BT and Ling.

Ghost Dog
27-06-2021, 09:30 PM
Bankers
1. You have to get off to a good start. Cody set the tone early with the diving smother to turn that into a goal.
2. Bont's physical presence, skill and kicking for goal. Love the way the boys get around him.
3. Tim English for turning it up in his home state

Anchors
JJ's missed head knock, and the Eagles player, taking a mark when it didn't touch the ground. Some poor decisions all round.
Ryan Gardner. Tough Luck fella. Seeing him look down at his shoulder was heart breaking. Went in hard as you should. So sorry about that

bornadog
27-06-2021, 09:51 PM
- I try not to get bothered by the commentators, because it doesn't matter.....but today was a 'PB' for BT and Ling.

How good is Jason Bennett - should be on more often

Bulldog Joe
27-06-2021, 09:59 PM
Bankers

1. JJ. His best game of the year. Loved his defensive pressure.
2. Duryea he's so unheralded, but he's just become so reliable this year.
3. Tim English. Battled manfully in the ruck, more than held his own against NicNat.

Anchors
1. Umpiring today was awful. We won the free kick count, but they were so inconsistent.
2. Gardner's injury. Poor guy, he's really worked hard on his game and was having a very good game.

I agree 100% with everything you have written.

AshMac
27-06-2021, 10:46 PM
Bankers
- Naughtons hands and flight at the footy in the air
- our midfield - Bont, Libba, baz, Jacko, English, controlled the game for the most
- watching the eagles play the last 10 minutes with the spirit belted out of their whole team. Absolutely monstered

Anchors
- goal kicking in the first half
- Liam Ryan taking off JJ’s chin without a free kick
- up yours west coast! Didn’t have a 3rd

The bulldog tragician
27-06-2021, 11:55 PM
Bankers

1. I think it’s time for a massive shout out to the coaching group and Bevo in particular. At times we’ve wondered if he’d lost that magic touch that brought us the flag. This year there are less selection mysteries, the group are united and resilient, and we are playing a brand that is exciting and watchable. Those easy goals out the back have largely dried up.

2. I really liked Tim English’s performance. He may not have beaten Nic Nat, few do, but he was at least a presence.

3. How lucky are we to be watching The Bont, and Naughton, in the same team and in their prime. Every single match one of them does something freakishly unbelievable.

Anchors

1. Another injury to Gardner, who’s won me over as a guy who’s persisted, and just might make it.

2. I wish I could say the same for Hannan, I don’t get it, but see point one of the bankers..in Bevo we trust.

3. JJ head bump that didn’t even receive a free but hopefully Ryan gets 2 weeks

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-06-2021, 12:49 AM
Bankers

1. I think it’s time for a massive shout out to the coaching group and Bevo in particular. At times we’ve wondered if he’d lost that magic touch that brought us the flag. This year there are less selection mysteries, the group are united and resilient, and we are playing a brand that is exciting and watchable. Those easy goals out the back have largely dried up.

2. I really liked Tim English’s performance. He may not have beaten Nic Nat, few do, but he was at least a presence.

3. How lucky are we to be watching The Bont, and Naughton, in the same team and in their prime. Every single match one of them does something freakishly unbelievable.

Anchors

1. Another injury to Gardner, who’s won me over as a guy who’s persisted, and just might make it.

2. I wish I could say the same for Hannan, I don’t get it, but see point one of the bankers..in Bevo we trust.

3. JJ head bump that didn’t even receive a free but hopefully Ryan gets 2 weeks

Can't fault a word of what you've written, and can only highlight your first point.... Bevo and his match committee have risen to the challenge this year. We need to acknowledge this. As frustrating as the selections have been the past couple of years, the MC have largely got it right in 2021 and have a really good handle of what lineup week on week give us the best chance of success.
Big gamble banking on Timmy to handle NN predominantly solely this week. Nailed it.
Backed Gardner in. backed Mclean in off ZERO games.
We've got to collectively dial back our trepidation regarding selection. Bevo and MC DO seem to know best.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-06-2021, 12:57 AM
Bedtime beckons. that goonbag isn't gonna chase itself tomorrow!
Goodnight Woofers, we're 11-3.. enjoy yourself!!

jazzadogs
28-06-2021, 01:07 AM
Bank
- Ed Richards returning to the side, and showing form that was missing last year. Even though he played most games last year he was lost in the wing/half-forward role (which coincidentally JJ has looked lost in at times this year). It was a welcome return where he was able to showcase his assets running off half-back. I'm excited to see him hold down that spot and continue to evolve a partnership with Dale and Williams.

- English. I thought he was actually really good in the ruck today. Yes Nicnat won more hitouts, but it was the best that I have seen Tim compete and position himself against one of the monster ruckmen. He was able to pretty effectively nullify Nicnat's influence for most of the game, and I'm pretty sure their run of three goals from centre clearances came when English was off the ground. I thought NN would be the difference in this match, and Tim didn't let that happen.

- the Eagles for taking in so many underdone players. Shuey 62% TOG, NN 73, Yeo and Mcgovern 76. Compare that to our prime movers - English, Hunter, Bont all 85+. No wonder we ran 8km more than them, as we were sharing our load much more evenly. Shoutout to Keath 100% TOG again.

Ank
- it was simply a complete four-quarter domination, which was finally reflected on the scoreboard in the final 15 minutes. My only anchor is that it was a 55 point win instead of the 70+ that it should have been.

merantau
28-06-2021, 05:37 AM
Bankers.
1. Our prime movers deliver consistently

2. Our defenders are a tight unit.

3. Our depth is deeper this year.

Anchors
1. Injury to Gardner

2. The appalling commentary from Ling. That whiny voice is awful.

3. No West Coast supporters to witness that total pantsing.

comrade
28-06-2021, 08:00 AM
Ank
- it was simply a complete four-quarter domination, which was finally reflected on the scoreboard in the final 15 minutes. My only anchor is that it was a 55 point win instead of the 70+ that it should have been.

Expected Scores were 44-122 - amazing to think we left a bunch of % on the table in a win vs Eagles in Perth.

Happy Days
28-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Expected Scores were 44-122 - amazing to think we left a bunch of % on the table in a win vs Eagles in Perth.

Yep. At the time it felt unbelievably nerve-racking but watching the replay that should've been a 15 goal win. Aside from 2 straight goals in the 3rd at no point in the game were West Coast on top or even close to us.

Ozza
28-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Yep. At the time it felt unbelievably nerve-racking but watching the replay that should've been a 15 goal win. Aside from 2 straight goals in the 3rd at no point in the game were West Coast on top or even close to us.

I might be in the minority.....and in watching with my dad and exchanging texts with a mate - they were both definitely in the nervous camp...but I really felt confident throughout the game. I feel really relaxed watching this group. You can tell pretty early in the game if they are 'on' or not and if they have control of the game. They absolutely have a crack always too.

I couldn't be prouder of them.

Mantis
28-06-2021, 11:30 AM
I might be in the minority.....and in watching with my dad and exchanging texts with a mate - they were both definitely in the nervous camp...but I really felt confident throughout the game. I feel really relaxed watching this group. You can tell pretty early in the game if they are 'on' or not and if they have control of the game. They absolutely have a crack always too.

I couldn't be prouder of them.

My concern through the game was all about not enough reward for effort… in terms of hitting the scoreboard. I thought at some stage WC would play 20-30min of good footy and given we hadn’t put them away it might cost us.

So glad we got that reward in the last qtr.